Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Producer, Greg Hoffman dies at 42.

Something shorter.

Member since Sep 2004

Member #10

Saw Producer, Greg Hoffman dies at 42.

LOS ANGELES - Gregg Hoffman, who produced the current hit horror film "Saw II," has died. He was 42.

Hoffman died Sunday at Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital, where he had been admitted after complaining of neck pain, his business partners said. He died of natural causes, according to a news release from Lions Gate Entertainment, which distributed his recent films. An autopsy will be performed.

Hoffman and his partners at Twisted Pictures financed the low-budget films "Saw" (2004) and "Saw II" (2005) and stood to reap millions of dollars from their success. The first film cost $1million to make and grossed more than $102 million in DVD and box office revenue; the sequel cost $4 million and has made $86 million at the box office in six weeks.

"We've won the lottery," Hoffman, a former Walt Disney Co. executive, told the Los Angeles Times in November.

Hoffman's colleagues and family described him as a modest man in an ego-driven industry.

"He never put himself in front of anybody," said Oren Koules, one of his Twisted Pictures partners. "He never did anything for the ego — everything he did was for the betterment of the movie."

Hoffman began working for Disney in 1995, rising to become a senior vice president of production and earning a producer credit on "George of the Jungle" (1997).

He joined Koules and Mark Burg at their management and production company, Evolution Entertainment, in 2003. Soon after, the self-professed horror film fanatic saw an 8-minute short movie about a serial killer called "Saw," which he believed would make lots of money as a full-length feature.

"He discovered this movie, brought it in and talked us into making it. He was the driving force behind it," Koules said.

In the summer of 2003, the three partners assembled the financing for "Saw" and started Twisted Pictures to make more low-budget horror movies.

The "Saw" films' success led to multi-picture development deals with Lions Gate and Dimension Films. Hoffman was working on the movies "Saw III" and "Crawlspace" when he died.

He is survived by his wife, Lucienne; children, Jared and Luke; mother, Stephanie; and sister, Tracy.

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com

Watch The Magic Pumpkin

Member since Sep 2004

Member #21

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween (1978)

Favorite Character
    Laurie (RZH2), Loomis (H1), Brackett (RZH2)

That is just insane to hear about. It's so hard to believe it, and the guy was so young, too.

RIP man, you certainly made an impression on the horror genre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
    You know a movie is powerful when it causes a testicle to reascend.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShape'78 View Post
    ALL HAIL BIG TITTED SLUTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassOf78 View Post
    This is the George Lucas of threads.

OBLIGATORY FAVORITE TO LEAST FAVORITE HALLOWEEN LIST: H1, H3/RZH2, H4/H20, RZH, H2, H6, H5, H:R

No Hope.

Member since Sep 2004

Member #70

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween

Favorite Character
    Loomis

Man, this was the first thing I saw when I got online. I went to a movie website and saw his name and knew instantly who he was. I remember reading all his diaries when Saw II was filming, he sounded like a really great guy. I am so sad right now He was in his prime, and now this. 42 years of age, a damn crime. Rest in Peace Gregg Hoffman.

Saw II director Darren Bousman on his dear friend:

This weekend I was informed of a terrible and tragic loss of a close friend, Gregg Hoffman. I, as you, always prefaced Gregg Hoffman as the producer and genius behind SAW and SAW II, but I realize now that was only doing Gregg a disservice as 'Hoffman' was much more than the producer of a couple of horror films, he was an extremely passionate and amazing human being.

Gregg Hoffman leaves behind a legacy not only of the films he produced, but of the peoples lives he changed. I only had the honor of knowing Gregg for a little over a year, but within that year he took an insecure Midwesterner with hopes and dreams of being a director and made it a reality. "I am going to take you into a war zone" he would tell me "Stick close by me, listen when I tell you things and I promise you, I will not let you down." And Gregg my man, you did not let me down, ever.

Besides being my producer, Gregg was a very close friend. Any person who could put up with my obsessed and insane personality ought to be commended, Gregg did it with a smile on his face.

Gregg, you gave me an opportunity when no one else would. You took a chance when everyone else didn't. You stuck by me through hell and high water, you pushed me to the edge, but were there to make sure I didn't fall off.

Gregg, I thank you... For taking a risk... Being a man of your word... Being a mentor... But more importantly being a great friend.

I will never forget how you changed my life, and everyone else's you came in contact with.

You will truly be missed my friend, and forever remembered.

dlb

Dark Side

Member since Oct 2004

Member #832

This is shocking news... R.I.P. Gregg.

Slasher

Member since Sep 2005

Member #2945

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    H1/H2

Favorite Character
    Michael Myers

man that really sucks, R.I.P
    "It has been established that persons who have recently died have been returning to life and committing acts of murder. A widespread investigation of funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has concluded that the unburied dead have been returning to life and seeking human victims. It's hard for us here to be reporting this to you.......... but it does seem to be a fact"

Smith's Grove Mental Patient

Member since Feb 2005

Member #1727

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween: H2O

Favorite Character
    John Tate, laurie strode, and of course Michael Myers

thats really sad

BELIEVE

Member since Sep 2004

Member #297

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween

Favorite Character
    Michael Myers

My 2 favorite movies this year now have great men that were taken way too soon(Matthew McGrory in The Devil's Rejects and now Gregg Hoffman from SAW II).

I just saw this film thursday night since that was its last night at my theatre. Good thing, it would've been almost as tough to watch again as TDR was after I found out what happened to Matt.

He gave young up-and-comers that didn't even believe in themselves a chance and was a driving force between probably the best new franchise since the turn of the millenium. He cared alot about his co-workers and the fans and gave both alot to be happy about.

R.I.P.
    LOTR>Everything else(except Monica Bellucci)
    "If science is your only faith, it may be you who is laid to rest." - ANOES 3: Dream Warriors

Christ turns all our sunsets into dawns.
    "He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities, the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed." - Isaiah 53:5

R.I.P. Matthew McGrory and Anna Svidersky.
    If it's Halloween, it must be SAW...if it's August, it must be another awful RZ Halloween.

PhantomPhart
    It's always sad to hear of someone passing.
    R.I.P. -- Gregg.

Cruel Intentions
    I hope this doesn't effect SAW III. RIP!!

Watch The Magic Pumpkin

Member since Sep 2004

Member #21

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween (1978)

Favorite Character
    Laurie (RZH2), Loomis (H1), Brackett (RZH2)

Originally posted by Cruel Intentions
    I hope this doesn't effect SAW III. RIP!!
    I think that's kind of rude of you to say considering the circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
    You know a movie is powerful when it causes a testicle to reascend.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShape'78 View Post
    ALL HAIL BIG TITTED SLUTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassOf78 View Post
    This is the George Lucas of threads.

OBLIGATORY FAVORITE TO LEAST FAVORITE HALLOWEEN LIST: H1, H3/RZH2, H4/H20, RZH, H2, H6, H5, H:R

Banned I FINALLY GOT MY CT!

Member since Dec 2004

Member #1349

man, too many people being taken away too soon this year.R.I.P.

J'ai Obtenu Cette

Member since Apr 2005

Member #2002

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    John Carpenter's Halloween, Halloween: A Film by Rob Zombie

Favorite Character
    Dr.Loomis Michael Myers

Man this is really sad.RIP Mr.Hoffman & my thoughts go out to his wife & 2 children
    Love your Hate. Your Faith lost. You are now one of us.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

…suicide
    I’ve already died.
    You’re just the funeral
    I’ve been waiting for

Ashleigh
    He was complaining of neck pains and died of natural causes? That's just so...wrong. It doesn't make sense. Damn. RIP.

It Ends

Member since Sep 2004

Member #86

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween

Favorite Character
    Michael Myers

Wow. I miss a day or two and this happens? I shouldn't ever leave then. This is terrible. I don't know what else to say really except how terrible this is and how he shouldn't have died. Right now, Saw III is really the last thing on my mind. R.I.P.

Slasher

Member since Dec 2004

Member #1360

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween

Favorite Character
    Dr. Loomis; Michael Myers; and Jimmy Lloyd

RIP Gregg.
    It sounds like he was a really good man.

I have to agree with Mark though, in saying that is a little rude to say "I hope it doesn't affect SAW III" Kids lost their father, and a wife lost her husband. I feel worse for them then the fans of SAW.

BTW- I'm really sorry for posting this in the Hang-out, I didn't see it here

Stupid Kitten
    You’re not your job. You’re not how much money you have in the bank. You’re not the car you drive. You’re not the contents of your wallet. You’re not your fucking khakis.

"To me, blood-and-gore horror movies are for kids. Kids are taken in by that sort of stuff. But real fear, the genuine article, has to stimulate the adult imagination" - Koji Suzuki

If I don't come back, it means I'm dead...........or late.