View Poll Results: What would you now grade Scout Taylor Compton's performance as Laurie Strode in H2?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • A - Superb

20 33.90%
  • B - Good performance, not many complaints here

25 42.37%
  • C - Average, could've been better though

7 11.86%
  • D - Terrible, I expected much more from her

3 5.08%
  • F - (in Loomis voice) HORRENDOUS!

4 6.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scout's Portrayal: Years Later...

These are the eyes of a psychopath...

Member since Jan 2010

Member #14258

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    HalloweeN H20, HalloweeN 4, HalloweeN 6 (TC), RZHII (DC)

Favorite Character
    Michael Myers, Annie (DH), Jamie, Laurie, Jen, Dr. Samuel Loomis

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Strode View Post
    If I'm going by the DC, I'm going with the first option. If it's the theatrical, option two.

Zombie inserted more scenes of Laurie in the DC which made her performance much stronger, and I think the last scene with her and the therapist is one of Scout's best acted scenes that she's ever done. The theatrical lacks that, but still has the moment where she talks about missing her parents.
    Same here.

Option A.Scout did a great job as Laurie in both RZH, and RZH2.I think that she was even better in RZH2 actually.
    Formerly CJ12
    This isn't a comedy it's a horror film. People live, people DIE!!!
    -Ghostface (SCRE4M)

Trick or Treater

Member since Oct 2011

Member #42151

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    H6: P-Cut

I was considerably less annoyed by her in this film than I was with RZH1. In RZH1 she just didn't fit since it was based more solely on the already set "rules". But in this, as we know, the character had some elbow room to be different. Scout was fine in it, but I felt she forced the traumatized addict routine and could have been more subdued and introverted about it at times.
    No love, no hope of curing what I have embraced with open arms.
    I seek no shelter or the warmth of home
    I have shed all human failings
    And made a kingdom in the cold.

I Want to Believe

Member since Mar 2009

Member #12381

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween ('78)

Favorite Character
    Laurie Strode

That's what Annie's character was for. Scout's Laurie was written to be extreme in terms of her emotional state.

The scene with Margot Kidder and the Haldol was arguably the best scene in the entire film- and it's not even in the theatrical cut!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilOnTwoLegs View Post
    Once you strip away all mystique, there's no going back to "The Shape." That's why H1 will always stand on its own, in my view, as something entirely separate from the Halloween franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Lee Curtis
    An inkpen? This isn't gonna work. I need sharpies. *is handed one Sharpie* Are you kidding me? Seriously? I need a whole spread of different colored sharpies. Come on!

Trick or Treater

Member since Oct 2011

Member #42151

Favorite HalloweeN Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Peaker1990 View Post
    That's what Annie's character was for. Scout's Laurie was written to be extreme in terms of her emotional state.

The scene with Margot Kidder and the Haldol was arguably the best scene in the entire film- and it's not even in the theatrical cut!
    I see that, but I felt it would've added some more weight to her character and given us an even crazier Laurie, jumping from calm to calamity in a second. Scout's Laurie just feels always on the verge of explosion and never really takes a breather, which I guess goes with the extreme nature of the film itself.

She is good in the Haldol scene though, and especially when Annie dies. She certainly has the capability of a broad performance, it just wasn't fully tapped here.

Watch The Magic Pumpkin

Member since Sep 2004

Member #21

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween (1978)

Favorite Character
    Laurie (RZH2), Loomis (H1), Brackett (RZH2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cvlt ov Wolf View Post
    I see that, but I felt it would've added some more weight to her character and given us an even crazier Laurie, jumping from calm to calamity in a second. Scout's Laurie just feels always on the verge of explosion and never really takes a breather, which I guess goes with the extreme nature of the film itself.
    You didn't get that feeling during the breakfast scene or the first scene between Laurie and her psychologist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
    You know a movie is powerful when it causes a testicle to reascend.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShape'78 View Post
    ALL HAIL BIG TITTED SLUTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassOf78 View Post
    This is the George Lucas of threads.

OBLIGATORY FAVORITE TO LEAST FAVORITE HALLOWEEN LIST: H1, H3/RZH2, H4/H20, RZH, H2, H6, H5, H:R

Trick or Treater

Member since Oct 2011

Member #42151

Favorite HalloweeN Movie

Not really, but I also expect episodes of deep melancholia that equate her outbursts. She fluctuates from somewhat normalcy to outright psycho. Don't mind me though, I'm nitpicking.

I Want to Believe

Member since Mar 2009

Member #12381

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween ('78)

Favorite Character
    Laurie Strode

But the entire point is that she's trying to hide her sadness. She wants everyone to think she's just some bitchy badass, but in reality, the tragedy is tearing her down more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilOnTwoLegs View Post
    Once you strip away all mystique, there's no going back to "The Shape." That's why H1 will always stand on its own, in my view, as something entirely separate from the Halloween franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Lee Curtis
    An inkpen? This isn't gonna work. I need sharpies. *is handed one Sharpie* Are you kidding me? Seriously? I need a whole spread of different colored sharpies. Come on!

Haddonfield High Alumni

Member since Dec 2011

Member #45178

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween (1978)

Favorite Character
    Lynda

I enjoy her performance in H2 more than in H1.

Haddonfield High Alumni

Member since Mar 2005

Member #1766

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Parts 1,4+RZH2

Favorite Character
    Jamie Lloyd,Tommy Doyle,Annie(RZH,RZH2)

A.

She was fucking AMAZING in this.I just hope her next project allows her to show half the range she demonstrated here.Easily the best performance of the entire series,IMO.
    Hall9weeN:BlooD HarvesTConnects the whole series together(-3)
    Hal10weeN:FestivaL of the DeaD
    (Sequel to BlooD Harvest)

Smith's Grove Mental Patient

Member since Jul 2009

Member #13037

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween(JC)-Halloween 4-Halloween(RZ DC)-H2(DC)

Favorite Character
    Laurie(both)-Jamie and Annie (DH)-Dr. Loomis(DP)

A++++

I agree with soo much of what has alreayd so I'm just gonna say that the bitch was flawless!

Lol but honestly Scout blew me away. In the director's cut she killed me, I just absolutely love her performance. Scout is only a couple of years older than me and she feels so completely real for a teen of the generation and the way she reacts and grows with all that happens.

Look Aunt May! No hands!

Member since Mar 2009

Member #12469

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

Favorite Character
    The Shape

^ Yeah, I agree. I never understood why people claimed her portrayal in RZH wasn't realistic for a teenager of today. I'll always be a fan of her performances, tbh.
    Their morals...their "code"....is a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show ya....when the chips are down, these, uh, these "civilized" people? They'll EAT each other.

Smith's Grove Mental Patient

Member since Sep 2009

Member #13817

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Halloween (1978), Halloween II (2009)

Favorite Character
    Michael Myers (Tyler Mane), Laurie Strode (Scout Taylor-Compton), Dr. Samuel Loomis

My opinion hasn't changed much at all. When I saw the film in theatres, I was blown away by her performance. I thought her portrayal was very realistic. If I had been through what the character Laurie went through, I would have lost grip on my life as well. The fact that we get to see her as she is descending, yet trying to make herself believe she is getting better, Is utterly amazing. I've always thought the part was written very cleverly and she, in my opinion, is one of the best things about both films. This film made me want to see what other work Scout has done. I saw, "The Runaways", and I thought she was quite good in it. I hope Scout becomes a bigger actress, because I think she is very good and I would love to see her in other films. All in all, I think she did a fantastic job. The downward spiral she showed us, was one of the best portrayals in a film...period. Superb performance. Still love the movie, and now I think I'm gonna watch it tonight!
    "Evil Never Dies"- John Carpenter

Look Aunt May! No hands!

Member since Mar 2009

Member #12469

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

Favorite Character
    The Shape

I'm in the same boat, if anything I've come to appreciate her performance more, but my stance on it hasn't changed. I felt like it perfectly fit into the world that Zombie created, & resonates to real life as well, considering most people would handle a traumatic experience such as the one she experienced in the same way....which is not very well.

Actually, I'd go as far as to say that Scout probably has one of the most in-depth "final girl" performances of the last two decades. I can't recall a ton of films where the story actually seeks to expand on the main character rather than thrusting her into this "my life's in danger" situation that has no emotional impact whatsoever.
    Their morals...their "code"....is a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show ya....when the chips are down, these, uh, these "civilized" people? They'll EAT each other.

Slasher

Member since Sep 2008

Member #11613

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    H20,H1,H2 (2009),RZH

Favorite Character
    MICHEAL MYERS, LAURIE STRODE

Superb - A+++ i mean her downward spiral is amazing and she just portrays it so realistically and so honestly that you just can't help but get consumed by it
    Evil Has A Destiny

Family Is Forever

Slasher

Member since Jun 2012

Member #53388

Favorite HalloweeN Movie
    The Night HE Came Home...

Favorite Character
    Bud (Halloween II '81)

A+, all the fucking way.

I would feel wrong if I gave her anything less than that. As good as Dourif was in RZH2, I think Scout owned this film.
    "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the fuck you were gonna do anyway."
    - Robert Downey Jr.

"There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong, or useless pain. The sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no patience for useless things."
    - Frank Underwood

"Cheer up, beautiful people. This is where you get to make it right."