PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Themed Jack-O-Lanterns

JohnnySparks
09-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey all, recently I decided to make myself some Pumpkin props based on the halloween movie pumpkins. And I thought I would see if any of you fans out there are interested in them. So far I have an H1 and H6 design, but am working on the rest of the pumpkins from the films as well. Using computer created scans, the designs are pretty accurate to what the films represented. These craft pumpkins are about 9in diameter and 7.5in height. I use a see-thru sheet of a special type of paper that covers the carved out areas to filter the light so you do not have to look at the light inside. I can put either a electric plugin light (think nightlite) or a 2-C battery operated flickering light. I use them in my living room to create some nice mood lighting when I watch movies and such, helps make Halloween an everyday thing! sounds corny, but thats just how I feel. If anyone is interested, send me a PM if you are interested. Thanks in advance to all who checked this out! take it easy all!

H1 themed pumpkin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/H1pumpkinpic.jpg
H6 themed pumpkin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/H6pumpkinpic.jpg
H5 themed pumpkin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/H5pumpkinpic.jpg
H2 themed pumpkin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/H2pumpkinpic.jpg

Johnathon
09-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey, those are pretty cool.

JohnnySparks
09-01-2006, 02:02 PM
thanks! I enjoy them on a dark night! heh

MyersFan927
09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Ah that's sweet! Last year I carved the H1 design out of a real pumpkin and had it till the thing was on its last leg. This year I plan to do H2. At least your way they can stay around forever, where'd you get them?

JohnnySparks
09-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I got them at Michaels Crafts. They have all kinds of sizes, ranging from 7-30 bucks per pumpkin. but the one I got seemed to fit the designs the most, other ones were a bit too long in height.

Cereal Killer
09-06-2006, 08:03 AM
I got them at Michaels Crafts. They have all kinds of sizes, ranging from 7-30 bucks per pumpkin. but the one I got seemed to fit the designs the most, other ones were a bit too long in height.
I did that too for H1 and H6 Jack-O-Lanterns. I think I bought my pumpkins 2 years ago from Michaels right before Halloween for $4 a piece. It takes a little time to stencil in the face and cut it out. But damn. It cost me $6.50 a piece to make them. Plug in switch-light with a candle flickering lightbulb. SSN were selling them a few years back for over $50 if I remember right. Maybe $65?

JohnnySparks
09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
It was actually harder for me to glue the inside yellow paper to hide the lightbulb than it was to carve it, I got this neat carving heated carving kit at michaels as well... it does wonders! I burned my finger, but it was worth it! heh, yeah I noticed also that michaels has them on sale on and off up until halloween. I happened to catch them at 6 bucks per pumpkin the other night!

Superman
09-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Those are well done. Very nice. :hallow:

Cereal Killer
09-07-2006, 12:54 AM
It was actually harder for me to glue the inside yellow paper to hide the lightbulb than it was to carve it, I got this neat carving heated carving kit at michaels as well... it does wonders! I burned my finger, but it was worth it! heh, yeah I noticed also that michaels has them on sale on and off up until halloween. I happened to catch them at 6 bucks per pumpkin the other night!
I didn't even notice that. The lights I got look like mini candle-sticks (even with fake melting wax). Then the flicker bulbs give the look like they're actually lit candles. You can see the lights inside, but they don't look like plain bulbs. I figure what the hay.

JohnnySparks
09-07-2006, 10:34 AM
thanks, yeah I have seen those candles lights as well. but since I am using them for more like lamps, I decided to go with a regular light bulb.. though I will probably switch it up for a flickering nitelite bulb, which shouldn't be hard to get. OH and by the way I added the H2 and H5 design above.

3pidemiC
09-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Great work!

Dark Agent
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Awesome work.:cool:

Superman
09-07-2006, 02:12 PM
Those look incredible. I tried to carve one of those once...not Halloween movie themed...and it did not turn out well.

JohnnySparks
09-07-2006, 04:39 PM
THANKS! Glad you guys can appreciate them! if anyone is interested on how to go about making them, or would like to buy one from me, give me a pm.

Cereal Killer
09-08-2006, 07:39 AM
I really like your HalloweeN 1 pumpkin. I have to make another as mine got smashed in the basement by X-Mas decoration boxes. It's the easiest, I thought, but how can you not love the original.

The H6 is in my computer/collectibles room. That one is just plain old evil. Good way to make some extra $$$, Johnny. I hope you sell some :)

HORRORCHIC
09-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Those pumpkins are awsome, the Halloween 6 is my fav.

JohnnySparks
09-08-2006, 01:05 PM
The H6 is in my computer/collectibles room. That one is just plain old evil. Good way to make some extra $$$, Johnny. I hope you sell some :)

Thanks for the encouragement, I hope so as well. I need to get me some props for my halloween fan film! need the dollars! either way though it was still fun to make them.

Oh and I think my favorite is the H1 pumpkin with part 2 and 6 tied for second... something about the H1 just makes me feel all off pudding, the face on it is just strange... in a good way of course! heh

mmyers78
09-09-2006, 03:55 AM
those look really great. love the h1 pumpkin

TheShape'78
09-10-2006, 06:43 AM
how much are you selling them for. if they are w/ in my price range i would be very interested.

JohnnySparks
09-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I figured in the range of $30-35 + shipping and handling. depending on what type of light you would like to be on the inside. Either a plug in the wall nightlite type or a battery operated flickering light or a flickering battery operated tea light. your choice! send me a PM and let me know.

Michaela_Myers
09-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Definitely thought those were real pumpkins and got excited because I wasn't the only one that gets the urge to buy a bunch of pumpkins and carve them early...
I feel dumb, now.
I think I'll work out my frustrations by buying and carving a pumpkin... erm, I mean...

JohnnySparks
09-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Definitely thought those were real pumpkins and got excited because I wasn't the only one that gets the urge to buy a bunch of pumpkins and carve them early...
I feel dumb, now.
I think I'll work out my frustrations by buying and carving a pumpkin... erm, I mean...

Oh... don't be frustrated... why do you think I carved craft pumpkins... for lack of REAL PUMPKINS! heh

Michaela_Myers
09-11-2006, 05:19 AM
Haha, the best part is that there's a farm stand up the street from me that started selling pumpkins last week. I drive past them every day. It's very hard not to stop.:p

JohnnySparks
09-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Haha, the best part is that there's a farm stand up the street from me that started selling pumpkins last week. I drive past them every day. It's very hard not to stop.:p

Why not, Live a little! I dont think I will be seeing any real pumpkin where I am for a couple more weeks. take advantage of it!

Masked Madman
09-11-2006, 11:17 AM
I think the H1 pumpkin is the creepiest looking one in the series.

Shawn
09-26-2006, 04:44 AM
BUMP ! I'm going to do my best to carve these this Halloween.

H20-Fan
09-26-2006, 08:44 AM
I like the H5 and H6 :P

Silverpsycho
09-27-2006, 11:24 AM
JohnnySparks your jack o' lanterns rock! I especially love the one from the original and you did a terrific job with it. It looks so simplistic and easy to do, but sometimes they can be the most difficult. If I attempted doing this myself...it wouldn't turn out half as good so awesome job and thanks for sharing the cool pics.

JohnnySparks
09-27-2006, 12:00 PM
JohnnySparks your jack o' lanterns rock! I especially love the one from the original and you did a terrific job with it. It looks so simplistic and easy to do, but sometimes they can be the most difficult. If I attempted doing this myself...it wouldn't turn out half as good so awesome job and thanks for sharing the cool pics.

Thank you very much. They can be a little tricky in some parts of the process. but, don't ever be too afraid to do something, after all practice makes perfect, and I am sure with the right tools a creative state of mind you can pull it off as well. I really love them too, and I just got some slickering bulbs for them as well. so its even cooler now! haha take care and thanks again for the kind words!

TommyDoyle
10-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Someone who has the talent should make a PDF file or something that has stencils for the Halloween pumpkins.

TommyDoyle
10-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Someone should make and post stencils.

DarthMyers
10-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Those are very nice. Good job!

JohnnySparks
10-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Those are very nice. Good job!
Thanks! glad you like them!

Shawn
10-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Love 'em !

How 'bout those stencils ???

JohnnySparks
10-02-2006, 10:53 AM
How About these? HAve fun all!

H1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/hecamehomepumpkinX.jpg

H2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/MoreoftheNightPumpkinX.jpg

H5
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/RevengePumpkinX.jpg

H6
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/cursepumpkinX.jpg

Shawn
10-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Oh yeah ! Thanks !

JohnnySparks
10-02-2006, 11:16 AM
No prob, have fun with them!

Michaela_Myers
10-02-2006, 02:01 PM
Oh
my
GOD!

You are my hero. :bouncewall:

TommyDoyle
10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Thank you so much!!!!!!

Benny JR
10-03-2006, 02:25 AM
H1 themed pumpkin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/H1pumpkinpic.jpg
H6 themed pumpkin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/H6pumpkinpic.jpg
H5 themed pumpkin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/H5pumpkinpic.jpg
H2 themed pumpkin
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/JohnnySparks/H2pumpkinpic.jpg

Those are cool, where did you buy these?

JohnnySparks
10-03-2006, 08:28 AM
THanks! I purchased the blank fake foam pumpkins at Michaels Crafts. but I am aware that they also sell pumpkins similar to these at Joanne fabrics and crafts, as well as some other craft chains. I have also seen some oddly shaped pumpkins at Walmart... but like I said they were odd. I felt that the ones that I bought at Michael's were the best looking out of all those stores, more realisitically painted I thought.

MichaelMyers70
10-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Excellent job - the likeness is phenomenal

JohnnySparks
10-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks! I aim to please! I replied to your PM by the way.

The Kilted One
10-04-2006, 07:44 AM
THanks! I purchased the blank fake foam pumpkins at Michaels Crafts. but I am aware that they also sell pumpkins similar to these at Joanne fabrics and crafts, as well as some other craft chains. I have also seen some oddly shaped pumpkins at Walmart... but like I said they were odd. I felt that the ones that I bought at Michael's were the best looking out of all those stores, more realisitically painted I thought.
The pumpkins from Joanne's are more costly, but easier to carve and come out with smoother edges... the michael's pumpkins are much more durable, though. On a side note, to JS, your repro pumpkins kick some serious ass. I love carving too but, as far as designes from the movies, have only tryed H1 and H2... which brings me to my final point, the patterns are awsome- you're the man!

Brackett
10-04-2006, 07:53 AM
thanx for the stencils

JohnnySparks
10-04-2006, 11:58 AM
The pumpkins from Joanne's are more costly, but easier to carve and come out with smoother edges... the michael's pumpkins are much more durable, though. On a side note, to JS, your repro pumpkins kick some serious ass. I love carving too but, as far as designes from the movies, have only tryed H1 and H2... which brings me to my final point, the patterns are awsome- you're the man!

This is true, they are most expensive, and a bit larger as well, only thing about those that I did not like was the overuse of red in the paint color scheme, oh and on a positive note they have longer stems as well. And thanks, glad you guys really appreciate the pumpkins and stencils, BETTER SEE SOME Jack-O-Lantern PICS THIS HALLOWEEN from you guys! have fun with them! KEEP ON CARVIN!!

dirtbag78
02-22-2007, 01:23 PM
those look cool , i really like the H1 one!!!

samhain51
02-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Those are right on the money Good Job Buddy !!! Nice work I m 26 and I still carve pumpkins every halloween . I always try to make them h alloween orientated but I cant co0me Close to mthose!!!

JohnnySparks
02-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Thank you very much, I am going to be 26 in may, so I know exactly what you mean, heh. pumpkin carving is something YOU just HAVE to do every fall. just like setting up a tree for christmas or somethin.