PDA

View Full Version : Your Feelings About Rob Zombie's Halloween: Good or Bad (Part II)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

atomic dog
08-16-2006, 03:01 AM
continue

Psych0ticNemes1s
08-16-2006, 06:13 AM
three words... a new beginning...

This will not be a continuation of the original series in any way, shape or form, accept for the characters... this movie marks the beginning of a new imagining... a fresh start to a new michael myers story... Where he is scary again...

I Do not consider that this movie is part of the old series because it isn't... It is remotely similar at most... I believe it will be a lot like a second halloween series, starting with this new movie...

... i'm sure fans who go into this moving expecting it to be a "Halloween 9" will be dissappointed... That series is over... let it be what it is... and let Rob and this movie start a new series... with a new, fresh storyline.

~Psych0

WhiteZombie
08-16-2006, 07:14 AM
^^ I agree, who wouldent want to see Michael in action some more?. Wether you hate or love Zombies Halloween, and anything it may spawn, who cares? we will always have the original Halloween no matter what.

Psych0ticNemes1s
08-16-2006, 08:44 AM
^^ I agree, who wouldent want to see Michael in action some more?. Wether you hate or love Zombies Halloween, and anything it may spawn, who cares? we will always have the original Halloween no matter what.

exactly.. the fact that someone is willing to try and restore the boogyman pleases me alone.

ghettomyers
08-16-2006, 10:41 AM

thank you so much for saying that alot of people r trippin over the remake and dissin it and all this stuff talkin negative bout it but its funny to me because they act like zombie is goin into there house and stealing the original from them, but they dont realize that they will always have it no matter wat, i completely agree wit you.

jra36
08-16-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm not too sure about this one. Yeah I'm excited about it, but at the same time, I didn't like none of the other Rob Zombie movies. But I aint gonna jump to conclusions on this one. I'm just gonna say that I am satisfied that they are gonna come out with another one and actually have a release date for it.

Roswell
08-16-2006, 11:15 AM
I didn't like none of the other Rob Zombie movies.

So, does that mean you did like some of the Rob Zombie movies? :winkgrin:

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-16-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm not too sure about this one. Yeah I'm excited about it, but at the same time, I didn't like none of the other Rob Zombie movies. But I aint gonna jump to conclusions on this one. I'm just gonna say that I am satisfied that they are gonna come out with another one and actually have a release date for it.
Good not to jump to conclusions. After all, you have to take into consideration that Zombie's two previous films, despite sharing the same basic characters and plot, were entirely different from one another in tone, atmosphere, cinematography, pacing, and overall vision. So, even if you didn't like those films, there's no indication that his Halloween will resemble either of them in any substantial way. I don't think this project is going to be anything like what we've come to view as a "Rob Zombie movie." As he did in the leap from Ho1KC to TDR, I believe he will continue to redefine what a "Rob Zombie movie" is, or can be. There are plenty of directors out there who don't have a set "style"...and that works to their advantage.

I have no idea what the hell the look or feel of this movie is going to be. Nor do I know what the main thrust of the narrative will be. But I'm willing to wait and find out. And what I do know is that it has nothing to do with the last piece of shit they tried to market as a Halloween movie. So that gives me some measure of hope.

Dark Agent
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
One thing that interests me is who is gonna play all the characters in this remake, I know it's sad to see someone lse play Dr. Loomis but it's unavoidable.

Obviously Rob is gonna look for someone who can live up to Donald Pleasences performence as Dr. loomis, but it would be difficult to find someone who can live up to everyones expectations.

But I have faith!

Roswell
08-17-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm hoping Zombie hires someone who is nothing like Pleasence. I want a new Loomis that is completely different from the old one, yet is still intriguing.

Johnathon
08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
They should get Charles Cyphers. He looks similar to Donald Pleasence.

My opinion, I'm trusting him with this film. He seems to have more respect for this series than most of the filmmakers who have worked on the past entries.

ALDO
08-17-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm hoping Zombie hires someone who is nothing like Pleasence. I want a new Loomis that is completely different from the old one, yet is still intriguing.

I think that would be the smart thing to do.

Nightmare13
08-17-2006, 11:38 AM
They should get Charles Cyphers. He looks similar to Donald Pleasence.

But is that needed? I agree with Ryan, I feel that the new film should have a completely different kind of Loomis.

TheShape'78
08-17-2006, 12:16 PM
i don't think bringing in cyphers to play loomis is a good idea, becaus he already played sheriff brackett and i don't want any cast from the original in this film.... this includes cameos too.

Dark Agent
08-17-2006, 05:22 PM
They could get a younger actor to play dr. loomis, that way if they make a sequal with his character in it he won't die while they are still making the movie.

Roswell
08-17-2006, 05:23 PM
that way if they make a sequal with his character in it he won't die while they are still making the movie.

lol

Getting ahead of ourselves, are we?

MMyers89
08-17-2006, 06:48 PM
I think Loomis should definitely be portrayed differently. That way, it won't be possible to compare to new actor to Pleasance. We all know that Donald will never be topped as Loomis, so why try to get another actor to re-create what has already been done. I definitely think a different portrayal of the character would be the way to go for this film.

woohalloween
08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
look at it this way. if the actor portraying Loomis in this new film even resembles or embodies the same tone as Pleasance's interpretation of Loomis then we will all be thinking to ourselves throughout the entire movie how "Donald would've said that line better," or "Donald would've had a better reaction to that." and if thats the case, then none of us will be satisfied. best bet would be to do as Mr. Zombie states, and "Re-imagine" a new Sam Loomis.

off the topic of Loomis, but, i look at this movie like its a new cd coming out. once an artist has hit it big, they want to keep doin' like there doin' so people will buy into it again. best solution is to stay true to the style but reinvent itself so its not a knock off or duplicate of what made them popular. the newer movies strayed away from what made HalloweeN great. hints their lack of popularity on the boards.

i don't exactly know what i just typed but it made sense when i was thinking it through. maybe you can make some sense of it too if the wording is right.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-17-2006, 08:02 PM
I agree with what seems to be the majority opinion here. Obviously, if Loomis is a part of this new Halloween universe (which I haven't heard confirmed yet...am I out of the loop?), the actor playing him will have to face inevitable comparisons to the fans' beloved Donald Pleasence. But if Zombie casts someone who actually resembles Pleasence, it would only intensify that scrutiny, pretty much stifling the poor actor who takes on the role. Therefore, if there's going to be a Loomis, I think the best choice would be to pick someone who can pull it off dramatically, but who doesn't really resemble Pleasence in any way...other than level of talent, obviously.

Otherwise, don't use Loomis at all. This is a fresh start, and creating a new character based on the Loomis archetype would also work. And in all honesty, it would probably work better than recasting the existing role. Because I, for one, am not really concerned with whether or not this new film presents us with the Michael Myers story we already know. Actually, in many ways, I don't want it to. We already have that story and it works great, as is. Give us a new story, new characters...an alternate Myers universe. I think that would be the wisest thing to do.

Either way, we'll just have to wait for news on that front. Hopefully, it works out...but I really think that not attempting to recast such pivotal roles would be the best option. A lot of fans are already looking down their noses at this project. No need to give them further ammunition.

woohalloween
08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
i remembering going to watch The Amittyville Horror (remake) in theatres. i thought way to hard about what i loved about the original film and left the theatres disappointed. "why?" you ask. because i didn't give the movie a chance. it wasn't what i wanted from the get go so i had already formed a negative opinion about the movie that lasted the whole way through. i learned my lesson. i will watch the new halloween with no premeditated assumptions as to what will happen, therefore there is no dissappointment.

i look foward to being told a story. a story about Michael Myers. what more can i ask for?

maybe the reason we all loved HalloweeN so much is because all we knew going into it was that there was a killer on the loose on halloween night. there was nothing to compare it to. again, no dissappointment.

Johnathon
08-17-2006, 08:27 PM
I'd much rather have Cypher, a veteran of the series, rather than a younger actor. I don't want it to be Rob Zombie's "Halloween" starring a 25 year old actor trying to be serious. We need a classy actor.

Roswell
08-17-2006, 08:28 PM
I'd much rather have Cypher, a veteran of the series, rather than a younger actor. I don't want it to be Rob Zombie's "Halloween" starring a 25 year old actor trying to be serious. We need a classy actor.

There are other classy actors, though.

Johnathon
08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Okay, after reading everyone elses posts, I actually agree. I for one would be judging a Xerox copy of Loomis. So maybe, a new Loomis would be better. But a classy, talented new Loomis.

Dark Agent
08-17-2006, 08:47 PM

When I mean young I mean somebody not as old as Donald Pleasence was in he first Halloween, someone between ages 30 and 45... maybe a bit older than that, I just don't want them to risk having an older actor that could be in a seual because we know what happened with H6.

And after Pleasences death the Hallowen franchise lost a part of the series itself, thats why we need someone who is a bit younger but also plays the character Loomis in a way that impresses us all.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah. God knows, it's impossible for a younger person to have any class.

Putting Cyphers in would seem like an inside joke or an homage, more than anything. And are we taking into consideration here the fact that Charles Cyphers will be 68 next summer? That's almost ten years older than Donald Pleasance was in 1978. Plus, I just don't buy him as Loomis. And neither would a lot of fans. As far as most fans are concerned, Cyphers is Leigh Brackett. Period. Plugging him into the role of Loomis would only make it even more difficult to get the audience to accept that the actor chosen is Sam Loomis. Because he's not, is he? He's Brackett.

I say go for someone middle-aged, if a Loomis is actually required. I don't think we need a young kid playing the role, but I don't necessarily want to see a Dr. Loomis who's already past retirement age in the "first" film. And it would make it difficult for sequels, down the road, wouldn't it? Considering that this is hopefully the beginning of a new series. Loomis would likely be 80 by the fourth film, should Cyphers live that long. Pleasence didn't.

MMyers89
08-17-2006, 08:53 PM
I think casting a younger, more sprightly Loomis would be a wise decision. Someone in their 30's. Go for a more active approach to the Loomis character. Less somber.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I think casting a younger, more sprightly Loomis would be a wise decision. Someone in their 30's. Go for a more active approach to the Loomis character. Less somber.
Loomis should be a somewhat brooding character, though. And I think that someone in his '40s would be a wise choice. But someone who is distinctly different in appearance from Donald Pleasence. Mulling it over, I'd say that if I were directing the picture, Gary Oldman would be the first person I'd contact.

Roswell
08-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Loomis should be a somewhat brooding character, though. And I think that someone in his '40s would be a wise choice. But someone who is distinctly different in appearance from Donald Pleasence. Mulling it over, I'd say that if I were directing the picture, Gary Oldman would be the first person I'd contact.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HELL YES!!! Gary Oldman would be phenominal as Loomis. I've been saying that since Zombie announced that Loomis was going to be in the film.

MMyers89
08-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah, Gary Oldman looks like someone I am picturing. But what I meant was just have him more, I dunno how to explain it, youthful. A little less old fashioned, and more active, and carefree.

I'm not sure if those are the right words, and I'm not really sure how to fully explain what I mean.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Yeah, Gary Oldman looks like someone I am picturing. But what I meant was just have him more, I dunno how to explain it, youthful. A little less old fashioned, and more active, and carefree.

I'm not sure if those are the right words, and I'm not really sure how to fully explain what I mean.
I think the last thing Loomis should be is carefree. Remember, the heart and soul of the character, at its essence, is that he bears the weight of these horrors on his shoulders. I'd like someone who has the same general sensibilities as Pleasence...but a vastly different physical type, with a somewhat different manner about him.

I can really picture Oldman in the role...perhaps with a good solid pair of "Standard Issue Psychiatrist Eyeglasses," and a nice trenchcoat (though not the same style/color Pleasence wore as Loomis).

MMyers89
08-17-2006, 09:11 PM
See, I'm not sure if carefree was the right word. In my head I have a perfect idea of what I'd like to see, but, for some reason I am having trouble trying to explain what I mean. I think the character should definitely bear the weight of Michael's wrath on his shoulders, but, I still think he doesn't have to be like the original Loomis. And I don't just mean looks. I mean actions, and style and even abilities.

Just an idea.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-17-2006, 09:17 PM
See, I'm not sure if carefree was the right word. In my head I have a perfect idea of what I'd like to see, but, for some reason I am having trouble trying to explain what I mean. I think the character should definitely bear the weight of Michael's wrath on his shoulders, but, I still think he doesn't have to be like the original Loomis. And I don't just mean looks. I mean actions, and style and even abilities.

Just an idea.
Yeah...like I said, I think he should have a different manner about him. I don't want to see a direct reincarnation of Loomis. That would be pointless.

On a different note, has anyone here heard the preliminary "first draft" version of the Halloween theme that Tyler Bates worked up and presented to the Weinsteins? I think various fans are either going to love it, look at it as something with potential, or flat-out hate it.

MMyers89
08-17-2006, 09:22 PM
On a different note, has anyone here heard the preliminary "first draft" version of the Halloween theme that Tyler Bates worked up and presented to the Weinsteins? I think various fans are either going to love it, look at it as something with potential, or flat-out hate it.

http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=8855

;)

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the link. I tend not to pay too much attention to what's going on around here, for those who haven't noticed. ;)

Frazetta
08-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah...like I said, I think he should have a different manner about him. I don't want to see a direct reincarnation of Loomis. That would be pointless. I think they should be around the sameage but I'd be fine if the look or even the accent was different. I've said for awhile that Bernard Hill would be perfect for the role but someone mentioned a certain actor afew days ago & the thought of just what he could do with the role has been in my head since. That actor's name is Gary Oldman & (I'm sure you'll agree with me on this) I think he could be jaw-droppingly good as Dr. Loomis. He could even use something close to his look in Batman Begins to portray Loomis.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-17-2006, 09:47 PM
I think they should be around the sameage but I'd be fine if the look or even the accent was different. I've said for awhile that Bernard Hill would be perfect for the role but someone mentioned a certain actor afew days ago & the thought of just what he could do with the role has been in my head since. That actor's name is Gary Oldman & (I'm sure you'll agree with me on this) I think he could be jaw-droppingly good as Dr. Loomis. He could even use something close to his look in Batman Begins to portray Loomis.
See, Oldman pops into my mind for virtually any role. Simply because he's proven that he can play damn near anything.

I remember when Remicis and I were discussing our dream cast for Spirits of the Dead (our Halloween fan-fic) if it were actually a movie. And Oldman's name came up immediately. In fact (and I don't think I ever told Rem this), I had pictured the character of Lytener as Oldman even while the script was being written...which probably influenced, to a certain degree, the alterations I made to the dialogue.

I see Oldman as playing a very serious Loomis. Very contemplative...very internalized. He's great at conveying the subtleties of a character (but then, he's also great at playing more externalized, even over the top, characters...because he's great at playing everything). I think that his interpretation of Loomis could be very quiet and understated, but always giving the audience what they need to understand where he is in that moment.

For character appearance, I agree that something akin to his Jim Gordon would be appropriate...but I don't want to see that look outside of a Batman film, because it's perfect Gordon. I see his Loomis either with a goatee (hopefully not invoking Pleasence too much there) or clean shaven...with a slate grey trenchcoat and glasses similar (but not identical) to those he's worn as Gordon. I'm still undecided about the hair, as I've seen Oldman with more hairstyles than I can even begin to process.

The bottom line is that Oldman is a chameleon and can become any character. He's a born actor...an actor's actor...the real deal. Gary Oldman is the God of Acting...and I can't think of a better Loomis for this new vision of Halloween.

Frazetta
08-17-2006, 10:08 PM
See, Oldman pops into my mind for virtually any role. Simply because he's proven that he can play damn near anything.

I remember when Remicis and I were discussing our dream cast for Spirits of the Dead (our Halloween fan-fic) if it were actually a movie. And Oldman's name came up immediately. In fact (and I don't think I ever told Rem this), I had pictured the character of Lytener as Oldman even while the script was being written...which probably influenced, to a certain degree, the alterations I made to the dialogue.

I see Oldman as playing a very serious Loomis. Very contemplative...very internalized. He's great at conveying the subtleties of a character (but then, he's also great at playing more externalized, even over the top, characters...because he's great at playing everything). I think that his interpretation of Loomis could be very quiet and understated, but always giving the audience what they need to understand where he is in that moment.

For character appearance, I agree that something akin to his Jim Gordon would be appropriate...but I don't want to see that look outside of a Batman film, because it's perfect Gordon. I see his Loomis either with a goatee (hopefully not invoking Pleasence too much there) or clean shaven...with a slate grey trenchcoat and glasses similar (but not identical) to those he's worn as Gordon. I'm still undecided about the hair, as I've seen Oldman with more hairstyles than I can even begin to process.

The bottom line is that Oldman is a chameleon and can become any character. He's a born actor...an actor's actor...the real deal. Gary Oldman is the God of Acting...and I can't think of a better Loomis for this new vision of Halloween. Agreed on all counts & having Oldman portray Loomis would take care of two things. #1 It gives Donald Pleasance a very good & worthy successor to the role of Loomis that no hardcore Halloween fan could complain about. And #2 it gives Zombie's version a much needed shot of credibility that hasn't been with a Halloween movie in years.

Roswell
08-17-2006, 10:10 PM
#1 It gives Donald Pleasance a very good & worthy successor to the role of Loomis that no hardcore Halloween fan could complain about.

Oh I'm sure there is SOME FAN out there who doesn't like Gary Oldman. Thankfully (s)he hasn't shown up yet.

MMyers89
08-17-2006, 10:11 PM
I hate Gary Oldman.

(s)he is here.

;)

Roswell
08-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I hate Gary Oldman.

(s)he is here.

;)

EOTL and I are going to come to your house and skin you alive.

MMyers89
08-17-2006, 10:20 PM
That fact that I know that EOTL is HUGE on Gary Oldman, leads me to believe that could really happen, so, I'll say it right now:

"Just kidding."

;)

SicDarko
08-17-2006, 11:25 PM
so bloody disgusting is reporting that Sheri Moon Zombie confirmed a role for her in the movie. But all she said is that she is not playing Laurie strode....that it's something else......Am I the only one that can already hear her saying totally over and over again?

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-17-2006, 11:35 PM
so bloody disgusting is reporting that Sheri Moon Zombie confirmed a role for her in the movie. But all she said is that she is not playing Laurie strode....that it's something else......Am I the only one that can already hear her saying totally over and over again?
I TOTALLY don't think this movie will go in that direction. ;)

Johnathon
08-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Oh yes, Gary Oldman. The best character actor out there. I could see him as the class and talent we need. Damn it Zombie, please read these posts.

Johnathon
08-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Also, they need to do the same casting decisions Carpenter and Hill did for the original. A familiar face for Loomis, but fresh faces for the teenagers. Like teens who have done like a TV show, one or two movies, or even nothing in their acting careers.

SicDarko
08-18-2006, 08:29 AM

sorry I posted this in the wrong thread..... I was drunk last night. :)

TheShape'78
08-18-2006, 01:01 PM
hey eotl, when i was reading the spirits of the dead i was thinking of gary oldman... becuase the way you described Lytener at the beginning is dead on to gary oldman. i almost had a heart attack when you said you wrote the role with him in mind.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Also, they need to do the same casting decisions Carpenter and Hill did for the original. A familiar face for Loomis, but fresh faces for the teenagers. Like teens who have done like a TV show, one or two movies, or even nothing in their acting careers.
I agree...though I hope they'll stay away from young television actors, considering the lack of talent that is generally displayed on television these days. And the last thing we need is more refugees from the WB creeping into our slasher movies.

hey eotl, when i was reading the spirits of the dead i was thinking of gary oldman... becuase the way you described Lytener at the beginning is dead on to gary oldman. i almost had a heart attack when you said you wrote the role with him in mind.
Well, I didn't really write the role. The script was predominantly written by Remicis, though we discussed everything in detail before he actually wrote most of the scenes. And I made numerous revisions to individual scenes, and then finally to the finished script. I was sort of the "Rewrite Man" on the script. A lot of my ideas did go into the script...but mostly, my role was to put the polish on it. Remicis actually deserves the credit for the story, characters, narrative, and a good deal of the dialogue.

That said, I think that my mental casting of Oldman at the time did influence to some degree the way the character of Lytener was presented...so it's probably not that odd that you pictured him in the role. And if there's anything to suggest Oldman, that was probably me. When I first mentioned Gary Oldman to Rem (long after the script was completed), he agreed that it would be great casting, but said that he'd never really thought of Oldman.

TheShape'78
08-19-2006, 01:56 AM
oh, thanks for clearing that up. spirits of the dead rocks.

hipcheck
08-19-2006, 09:17 AM
G*/D D*/MN !!!! GARY OLDMAN would be absolutely Perfect !!!

-Fingers crossed that he is available & interested in this project. He definitely has the Talent (& Psycho-Factor) to pull this off with Style. Until I hear better, OLDMAN is the front-runner for LOOMIS !!!

MAN, I'm Psyched-Up for this Movie!!! Opening Night is going to be a RUSH !!!!

Dark Agent
08-19-2006, 09:28 AM
I think they should get the guy who played Hyde in That 70's Show to play Either Bob or Paul, lol.

hipcheck
08-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Not sure how anybody who loves Horror Movies could be against THE DEVILS REJECTS... I was completely blown away by that movie. I'm still (months later) impressed with the overall Quality of that film. For anyone that hasn't seen it, or doesn't know, It was a complete Homage to THE ORIGINAL TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. If ZOMBIE treats this movie the same way, (ie. respect for the original work')... I'm certain we will all be extremely Happy !!!

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky:
Opening Night October 2007

mannylb88
08-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Not sure how anybody who loves Horror Movies could be against THE DEVILS REJECTS... I was completely blown away by that movie. I'm still (months later) impressed with the overall Quality of that film. For anyone that hasn't seen it, or doesn't know, It was a complete Homage to THE ORIGINAL TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. If ZOMBIE treats this movie the same way, (ie. respect for the original work')... I'm certain we will all be extremely Happy !!!

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky:
Opening Night October 2007

yea but the texas chainsaw massacre was a completely different movie, and its something that i see rob zombie being more comfortable filming. how much blood did they use in Halloween? if its more than a pint then i would be blown away. i think that another thing zombie should consider when filming this movie is playing around with the camera. mess around with the audience using long stressful shots. i think the more suspense, and the less gore used in the movie the better it will be. i heard someone mention Gary Oldman, and thats not a bad idea considering the kind of actor he is. i don't know his availability, he most likely will be starring in "The Dark Knight" the Batman Begins sequel.

DeanCorso
08-19-2006, 06:43 PM
yea but the texas chainsaw massacre was a completely different movie, and its something that i see rob zombie being more comfortable filming. how much blood did they use in Halloween? if its more than a pint then i would be blown away. i think that another thing zombie should consider when filming this movie is playing around with the camera. mess around with the audience using long stressful shots. i think the more suspense, and the less gore used in the movie the better it will be. i heard someone mention Gary Oldman, and thats not a bad idea considering the kind of actor he is. i don't know his availability, he most likely will be starring in "The Dark Knight" the Batman Begins sequel.

the question is not if hes available..the question should be if he would want to be in a horror movie like Halloween...which i Highly doubt it that an A-List actor like him would be interested.

shoe1985
08-19-2006, 06:47 PM
I still don't see how anyone could be happy about Rob Zombie making a Halloween movie. He may be a fan, most of the directors were fans of the original, yet we wouldn't want them to remake the original. His other movies have shown nothing to me that is worthy of doing a remake of this movie. I am bitter because remakes are shallow. Yes I have the original series, but if you want to make a remake, why not just make your own movie, and pay homage.

If this movie bombs or gets a lot of critism, this series is over. This could be the last movie in the series ever.

Plus we have Dimension Films in control of the film. Look at what they have done since the aquired the rights to the series. They have to stick their noses in and ruin anything good about this series. You know if the test screenings come back bad, like with H6, with people wanting more blood, look out. There will be reshoots and another movie that was ruined by them. They have been wanting to remake this movie since the beginning and now that they have the power to do it, it will be their way. Rob will have power in writing and directing, but once it is in post production look out. Rob will only have little control.

I bet Rob is a nice guy, but I am not happy about this, as everyone knows.

Roswell
08-19-2006, 07:16 PM
I still don't see how anyone could be happy about Rob Zombie making a Halloween movie. He may be a fan, most of the directors were fans of the original, yet we wouldn't want them to remake the original. His other movies have . Yes I have the original series, but if you want to make a remake, why not just make your own movie, and pay homage.

If this movie bombs or gets a lot of critism, this series is over. This could be the last movie in the series ever.

Plus we have Dimension Films in control of the film. Look at what they shown nothing to me that is worthy of doing a remake of this movie. I am bitter because remakes are shallowhave done since the aquired the rights to the series. They have to stick their noses in and ruin anything good about this series. You know if the test screenings come back bad, like with H6, with people wanting more blood, look out. There will be reshoots and another movie that was ruined by them. They have been wanting to remake this movie since the beginning and now that they have the power to do it, it will be their way. Rob will have power in writing and directing, but once it is in post production look out. Rob will only have little control.

Yeah, but Zombie is a fan. There's one thing to say you're a fan, it's another thing to actually be a fan.

Zombie is also someone who will fight for his film and not let anyone mess with it. He's not a pushover. If Dimension decides to mess with his film, things WILL get ugly.

I also don't think it's fair to say that remakes are shallow. SOME remakes are shallow, but there are other remakes that are quite good. It's just too bad that the good remakes get lumped into the same catagory as the bad ones.

I think if Zombie can deliver us a scary Halloween, then it doesn't matter what you want to call it(remake, sequel, whatever). Personally, there hasn't been a good Halloween since H4, so I'd like to think the series ended there. A remake doesn't bother me as long as it's a good remake.

shoe1985
08-19-2006, 07:28 PM
You are forgetting that many people think H20 was the last good Halloween.

Also, Farrands was a fan and tried to fight for his vision, but didn't get anywhere. I believe Farrands respects the series as a whole and not just the one movie. He was the writer and really had no control after he handed in his final draft, but he kept fighting to make H6 a watchable movie. In the end, he pretty much just gave up. He had too many people against him in a sense.

Roswell
08-19-2006, 07:32 PM
You are forgetting that many people think H20 was the last good Halloween.

Also, Farrands was a fan and tried to fight for his vision, but didn't get anywhere. I believe Farrands respects the series as a whole and not just the one movie. He was the writer and really had no control after he handed in his final draft, but he kept fighting to make H6 a watchable movie. In the end, he pretty much just gave up. He had too many people against him in a sense.

Yes, I realize people think that, but I was stating a personal opinion.

Farrands was the writer of the film. In Hollywood, writers tend to be LESS important (unfortunately).

However, Zombie has a bit more power behind him. He's already made two popular films, he's writing AND directing this one, and like I said, he's not a pushover. He will make sure his vision for the film isn't compromised or else he won't do the film.

mannylb88
08-19-2006, 08:07 PM
i think that they should screw the test screening. that has been whats been killing movies lately. i don't know who said that blood had to be associated with horror movies. i saw more blood in Pulp Fiction than in Halloween, hell i saw more blood in Beauty and the Beast when the beast fights the wolves than i saw in Halloween. i just cannot see what might posses a production company(Dimensions) to keep following a path that has not shown results, its like hitting your finger with a hammer then doing it again to see if it still hurts. America has lost its cinematic taste, thats why we have to rely on movies that are shown in festivals because their limited funds force them to use creativity and make a good movie (Donnie Darko to the rescue) but seriously, dimensions keep your views out of this project or you'll have to answer to us the fans and that answer will be trick or treat motherfucka!!!

mannylb88
08-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Yes, I realize people think that, but I was stating a personal opinion.

Farrands was the writer of the film. In Hollywood, writers tend to be LESS important (unfortunately).

However, Zombie has a bit more power behind him. He's already made two popular films, he's writing AND directing this one, and like I said, he's not a pushover. He will make sure his vision for the film isn't compromised or else he won't do the film.

i dont see zombie rolling over to dimensions, but knowing dimension they'll probably just make a rob zombie with CGI to try and finish directing, thats what they did in H2O with the masks. thats the only thing that scares me more than rob zombie attempting the remake, dimensions finding some hack after zombie tells them to stick this movie up their asses because he not going to buckle.

MMyers89
08-19-2006, 09:21 PM
I still don't see how anyone could be happy about Rob Zombie making a Halloween movie.

I dunno. Maybe it's the fact that he has heaps of appealing and good ideas. Or maybe it's the fact that he is a true fan of the series. Or maybe it's the fact that he comes and posts on this message board, not only talking to the fans, but giving us info on the script, and even starting a thread asking us our favorite, and least favorite things about H1.

I don't see how anyone COULDN'T be happy about him doing this film.

shoe1985
08-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Good ideas, we don't know anything beyond he wants a good mask, and wants it to be part prequel, part remake. We had the one guy who had written a treatment posting on here. I believe Farrands visits the board sometimes.

i think that they should screw the test screening. that has been whats been killing movies lately. i don't know who said that blood had to be associated with horror movies. i saw more blood in Pulp Fiction than in Halloween, hell i saw more blood in Beauty and the Beast when the beast fights the wolves than i saw in Halloween. i just cannot see what might posses a production company(Dimensions) to keep following a path that has not shown results, its like hitting your finger with a hammer then doing it again to see if it still hurts. America has lost its cinematic taste, thats why we have to rely on movies that are shown in festivals because their limited funds force them to use creativity and make a good movie (Donnie Darko to the rescue) but seriously, dimensions keep your views out of this project or you'll have to answer to us the fans and that answer will be trick or treat motherfucka!!!

Lately they haven't been test screening their movies, and they are bombing badly. Plus they have been pretty bad movies.

Laow-Z
08-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I still don't see how anyone could be happy about Rob Zombie making a Halloween movie.
Well if you aren't happy about this and you still make these insane statements then maybe you should stop posting in these threads if you have nothing constructive to add. Or maybe I should just ban you from these threads all together.

jmb_052
08-20-2006, 07:29 AM

I guess you missed resurrection. That was basically the last nail in the coffin.

Todd 78
08-20-2006, 09:03 AM
I think Rob Zombie should get the benefit of the doubt until the film comes out. I think he has proven to be a pretty goodfilmmaker. so lets just hope he continues his hot streak.

That said , I do think it ok to have resevation and concerns, in fact it is natural. I don't wan't a bloody gorefest like Devil's Rejects , and I do think remaking/prequel is a big risk, because there will be the unavoidable comparisons to the original.

That said if we are going to get any future Michael Myers films, a restart was necessary after Resurrection, ecause he seres was dead after that ayway.So if it works we get more films , if it doesn't so be it. It can't be worse than Resurrection, so it will go out on a better note.

MOSALERNO55
08-20-2006, 09:19 AM
does anybody know the release date for halloween 9 please let me know if anybody knows

HalloweeN63
08-20-2006, 09:23 AM
tomorrow.

SLAB
08-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Check out the "rumor mill" thread, I think it has a date for October 19th, next year.

mannylb88
08-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Well if you aren't happy about this and you still make these insane statements then maybe you should stop posting in these threads if you have nothing constructive to add. Or maybe I should just ban you from these threads all together.

hey bro, this thread is asking people their feelings about the movie, you can't ban someone for sticking to the topic of a thread. his comments weren't that insane, he doesn't want the project to take place, i felt the same way until i heard the interview, i'm staying critical until i hear more information.

mannylb88
08-20-2006, 09:45 AM
Check out the "rumor mill" thread, I think it has a date for October 19th, next year.

i think that it should open the same date as H1 was in its first major movie theater, or the date it was presented in the festival. i think that would be a nice treat for the fans.

Todd 78
08-20-2006, 09:53 AM
hey bro, this thread is asking people their feelings about the movie, you can't ban someone for sticking to the topic of a thread. his comments weren't that insane, he doesn't want the project to take place, i felt the same way until i heard the interview, i'm staying critical until i hear more information.

Good post.

I am very concerned about a remake. I don't think it is silly to have reservations and concerns. Imagine, of the studio decido to do a reimagining .remake of The Godfather. Rob Zombie has made good horror films, but those 2 films are nothing Halloween is and should be. So until the movie comes out, I think any Halloween fan has the right to be worried. Especially after what Dimension has given us since they took over the franchise.

I will still see it. I am cautiously hopeful, but I ain't going in with blinders on either.

Roswell
08-20-2006, 10:25 AM
That said , I do think it ok to have resevation and concerns, in fact it is natural. I don't wan't a bloody gorefest like Devil's Rejects

Just to point out, Zombie already said it wasn't going to be that kind of film.

Todd 78
08-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Just to point out, Zombie already said it wasn't going to be that kind of film.

Good to hear, I am hopeful with this film, but my reservations and concerns are not going to change until I see the film, but I do trust Zombie at least has a vision that won't sell the franchise down the crapper like the last fil did.

I am 50/50 on the reimaging/remake. On one hand, I think it is the only way the franchise can continue to make films, but I ain't sure if that is a good thing.

MMyers89
08-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Good ideas, we don't know anything beyond he wants a good mask, and wants it to be part prequel, part remake.

And that he is bringing the original characters back, Paul will be shown, Rabbit in Red will play a bigger part. All of these put together, while not much as of now, are very intriguing.

TheShape'78
08-20-2006, 01:59 PM
what do you mean rabbit in red will play a bigger part. it was just a matchbook.

MMyers89
08-20-2006, 04:04 PM
what do you mean rabbit in red will play a bigger part. it was just a matchbook.

The Rabbit in Red Lounge is the place on the matchbook. Zombie said it himself that he is looking to have that place play a bigger part in the film. Maybe we will see it.

WhiteZombie
08-20-2006, 04:14 PM
A matchbook from a place called Rabbit in Red.

shoe1985
08-20-2006, 07:32 PM
What could that place have to do with this movie? Wasn't that the matchbook from the tow truck man?

Also, I am just saying what has happened so far. Dimension has ruined the series with the later sequels. Fact. Rob Zombie's movies has been gorefests. Fact. Now he has said this won't be one, but for some reason I just don't believe him. A lot of his fans have been like yes lots of gore. I just hope this doesn't turn into a gorefest for them. Plus he hasn't done anything to prove he is worthy of this task. He made two movies. The Devil's Rejects showed promise, but he is still new to this. Visually it was ok, but not amazing. He has grown, but I guess time will tell.

Joe Kerr
08-20-2006, 07:34 PM
What could that place have to do with this movie? Wasn't that the matchbook from the tow truck man?
no... you see it in Marion chambers car...
:yeah:
She lights a cig with it... :)

Roswell
08-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Jeez. People are acting like Rabbit In Red is going to be a HUGE thing in the movie. All Zombie said was that it was going to play a bigger role in the movie. That could mean ANYTHING. We could see a scene take place there and that may be it. No need to go crazy.

And Zombie's films have not been "gorefests", shoe. His films are rather tame on the violence meter compared to other horror movies.

I'm beginning to believe you're just not going to like this film. You'll give any excuse not to. Zombie says it won't be a gorefest, but you "don't believe him". Why don't you believe him? What reason has he given you not to trust him? The fact that his last two films were "gorefests"? That's not a very good reason.

Laow-Z
08-20-2006, 07:50 PM

Also, I am just saying what has happened so far. Dimension has ruined the series with the later sequels. Fact. Rob Zombie's movies has been gorefests. Fact. Now he has said this won't be one, but for some reason I just don't believe him. A lot of his fans have been like yes lots of gore. I just hope this doesn't turn into a gorefest for them. Plus he hasn't done anything to prove he is worthy of this task. He made two movies. The Devil's Rejects showed promise, but he is still new to this. Visually it was ok, but not amazing. He has grown, but I guess time will tell.
Shut the hell up already, you sound like a moron.

jmb_052
08-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Its basically just a "throw back" to the original. Just something cool to have in it. Right now, no one here, except for the obvious, knows what the script contains. It was just the focus in a semi important scene, so he's just gonna use it.

shoe1985
08-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Shut the hell up already, you sound like a moron.

I am not sure what I said to make you mad. Just backing up what I said. I just won't post here for a while. I thought it was place to voice my opinion on Rob Zombie and his movies?

Roswell
08-20-2006, 07:58 PM
I am not sure what I said to make you mad. Just backing up what I said. I just won't post here for a while. I thought it was place to voice my opinion on Rob Zombie and his movies?

It is, but you're getting ridiculous. Zombie said he wasn't going to make his film gory, but you don't trust him and believe he will make it gory (for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON other than not wanting to like the film).

I mean, you sound like all the people who say "OMG, this movie is going to suck!!! Zombie's going to make it gory and cast all those people from his last film and make Michael a hillbilly and blah blah blah". All this fear based on NOTHING.

Thurisaz
08-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Plus he hasn't done anything to prove he is worthy of this task.

What had Rick Rosenthal, Dwight Little, Dominique Othenin-Girard, or Joe Chappelle done to prove they were worthy? Only 2 directors in the series had done any substantial work before taking on a Halloween movie. Your point here is worthless.

Frazetta
08-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I am not sure what I said to make you mad. Just backing up what I said. I just won't post here for a while. I thought it was place to voice my opinion on Rob Zombie and his movies? I don't agree with what you said but I do agree that you have a right to voice you're opinion without having to be told to shut up or called names. I think Rob himself would welcome people being worried about how he makes this film. Without a fanbase as dedicated enough to actually worry about how a film is made then whats the point in even making one?

shoe1985
08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Chappelle was pretty much told he was doing it. H5 was rushed and they had no time to think about who would do what, and Girard did it. Little had impressed everyone with his previous movies. As for Rosenthal, I have no idea.

Remember people say stuff and then change their minds later. I am going to keep an open mind. I am just saying from past experience what we have all seen.

Thank you Mannie and Frazetta. I am voicing my opinion. We all want the best out of the series and a remake is the last thing to cross my mind.

Roswell
08-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Chappelle was pretty much told he was doing it. H5 was rushed and they had no time to think about who would do what, and Girard did it. Little had impressed everyone with his previous movies. As for Rosenthal, I have no idea.

Remember people say stuff and then change their minds later. I am going to keep an open mind. I am just saying from past experience what we have all seen.

Yes, but most people that do that are not directors, and there's nothing to show that Zombie would go back on his word.

Frazetta
08-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Yes, but most people that do that are not directors, and there's nothing to show that Zombie would go back on his word. I've said it before that I don't view Zombie as a guy that will bullshit his audience or go back on his word. I truly believe that when he tells us something we can bank on it.

Roswell
08-20-2006, 08:30 PM
I've said it before that I don't view Zombie as a guy that will bullshit his audience or go back on his word. I truly believe that when he tells us something we can bank on it.

Exactly. Zombie doesn't seem like a person who would say one thing and deliver something else.

MichaelJrdnMyrs
08-20-2006, 10:00 PM
As I recall, and unless I've missed a post or another recent interview, Senor Zombie didn't explictly say he wasn't going to include gore. He said he was going to focus on suspense, mood, character, I think those were the three when he was asked the question.

If he focuses on those it won't matter much to me if there was gore. It'd be cool if he made it without it and it still rocked, he'd get major respect.

I doubt it'll be goreless, though. His movies so far have tried to "push the envelope". And I'm not just talking about the two Firefly pics, his Superbeasto animated film is getting threatened with an NC-17 rating I believe.

Roswell
08-20-2006, 10:03 PM
As I recall, and unless I've missed a post or another recent interview, Senor Zombie didn't explictly say he wasn't going to include gore. He said he was going to focus on suspense, mood, character, I think those were the three when he was asked the question.

That to me says "less gore". I'm not saying the film will be bloodless, but I don't see it being NC-17.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-21-2006, 01:15 AM
oh, thanks for clearing that up. spirits of the dead rocks.
Thanks. Always nice to hear that the fans dig it.

yea but the texas chainsaw massacre was a completely different movie, and its something that i see rob zombie being more comfortable filming. how much blood did they use in Halloween?
Well, let's not forget that the original TCM had very little blood in it, as well. But I really don't think we need to worry about Zombie going balls to the wall with gore in his Halloween. He's already said that he's not going that route. He's already proven that his style is evolving, and that he's prepared to expand and experiment with different styles. He sought out a completely different tone with TDR than he'd established with Ho1KC...and he succeeded in making it a very separate entity, despite TDR being (for all intents and purposes) a sequel to Ho1KC. It may be a sequel, yes...but it clearly isn't Ho1KC Part 2. In short, we know that he can make more than just one type of film. And in TDR, he proved that he can work an audience's nerves, and create scenes of menace and suspense. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see him fucking this project up.

the question is not if hes available..the question should be if he would want to be in a horror movie like Halloween...which i Highly doubt it that an A-List actor like him would be interested.
Oldman has worked in every conceivable acting capacity in all kinds of films. And really, Hollywood does not consider him A-List. Oldman doesn't like playing the politics of the industry, he doesn't like doing promotion or marketing, or glad-handing the press. Hence, he's achieved an outsider, or even outcast, status in Hollywood. The man has never been nominated for an Academy Award, despite the fact that on many occasions, he has well deserved the Best Supporting Actor win. And that's another point to make. Aside from a few scattered leads, Oldman is predominantly a supporting actor. He's not a lead actor, as far as the studios are concerned. "A-List actors" are the celebrities...the leading men and leading women of Hollywood. The ones who pull in eight figures for each picture they do because the press and the studio PR departments have turned them into gods in the minds of many an average tabloid-perusing, Entertainment Tonight-watching celebrity addict.

Saying Oldman is "A-List" is like saying that Chris Walken is "A-List"...and Walken has admitted an inability to say "No" to work. He admits to acting in movies that are beneath him, simply because he wants something to do with himself. And what he finds most rewarding is acting. So he'll act in pretty much anything that comes his way. Oldman seems similarly driven to keep working at all times, given the number of independent films he takes on in-between the Hollywood gigs. And the fact is that he, too, has acted in some films which were beneath his talent. So I think it's safe to say that he's more interested in keeping busy and engaging in his chosen (or as I see it, destined) profession than he is in "keeping up appearances." Anyone who says "Yes" to Lost in Space has no reason to say "No" to Halloween.

I still don't see how anyone could be happy about Rob Zombie making a Halloween movie. He may be a fan, most of the directors were fans of the original, yet we wouldn't want them to remake the original. His other movies have shown nothing to me that is worthy of doing a remake of this movie. I am bitter because remakes are shallow. Yes I have the original series, but if you want to make a remake, why not just make your own movie, and pay homage.

Plus we have Dimension Films in control of the film. Look at what they have done since the aquired the rights to the series. They have to stick their noses in and ruin anything good about this series. You know if the test screenings come back bad, like with H6, with people wanting more blood, look out. There will be reshoots and another movie that was ruined by them. They have been wanting to remake this movie since the beginning and now that they have the power to do it, it will be their way. Rob will have power in writing and directing, but once it is in post production look out. Rob will only have little control.

His previous films are not the proper gauge for his talent, etc., etc., etc. I've said that all before, so I'll move on.

Yes, there is the possibility that this movie will bomb and that the series will be over. But riddle me this...do you honestly believe that after the piss-poor reception H:R received (from everyone...fans, critics, you name it), not to mention the fact that it was the single lowest-grossing film in the series...do you really think that H9 didn't face the same possibilities? Or the possibility that the whole thing would implode, H9 would never get made, and H:R would be the last film in the series? Because those were both real possibilities. People still talk about how H6 almost killed Halloween...but its financial returns were head and shoulders above H:R. Granted, it made twice as much money as H6...but it also cost three times as much to make. In domestic returns, it just barely doubled its investment. Never before had a Halloween film performed so poorly. And audience and critical reception was every bit as negative as it had been for H6...one could argue, even worse. The series was on the brink of extinction...without question. There isn't even a doubt about that.

So while this movie could conceivably fail, I think we need to look to the flipside. What if it succeeds? What if it's marketed well (which is what it's going to come down to, to a large degree), and it's well-made, and there's actually substance and quality to it? What if people like it? Hell, what if people go to it just because they like Rob Zombie? It may not be the best reason, and we hardcore fans can scoff all we like...but that's money in the bank. That would actually make Halloween a bankable commodity again. And it just might re-elevate the reputation of Halloween a bit, which wouldn't be hard to do in the wake of the last travesty that passed itself off as a Halloween film. In point of fact, as much as it may be troublesome to say or hear it, this project has a better chance of success than any sequel picking up where the least popular, lowest-grossing sequel ever in the history of the series left off.

As for what Dimension will do, I'm as worried as anyone else. But again, we're looking at the same problems that would have plagued H9. If Dimension are going to butt in, they're going to do it whether it's the Zombie project or a sequel to H:R. So either way, it'll be shit if they try to take control away from the filmmakers. I don't see how this applies solely to the project at hand. As long as Dimension owns the rights, they can pretty much do whatever the hell they want...sad but true.

If the new film is shit, so be it. If everyone hates it, that's how it goes. I'll hate it too, if it sucks. But there's a strong possibility, and every indication, that H9 was going to suck, as well...at which point Halloween would have either died out or (perhaps even worse) been relegated to the world of DTV horror releases, the fate which has befallen Hellraiser at the hands of Dimension. Either way, Halloween is on the verge of death right now, as a theatrical-release franchise. This movie will either resurrect it or kill it. Same with H9. But in all honesty, I think this movie has a better chance of succeeding than H9 would have. And that at least gives hope to some fans that the series will be able to rise above the shit it's been wading through and continue well into the 21st Century without getting bogged down by baggage like H:R.

It's homage...and an indication that this isn't going to be a run-of-the-mill "remake." It's not the same exact story that JC's Halloween was...which is good because I've seen that story. Have it on video, can watch it anytime I want.

Laow-Z
08-21-2006, 04:50 AM
You're right, I apologize....rough day, should've kept it off the board:nodsmile:

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 11:52 AM
What reason has he given you not to trust him? The fact that his last two films were "gorefests"? That's not a very good reason.

how about him swearing to the public that he's not making H9, and then, got ya i'm remaking H1. he played with words to make us believe something else. so just giving you a good reason.

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 12:02 PM
one thing that i think should be explained in this movie is how did the patients get out of the hospital, because if i remember correctly there was more than one patient outside during a damn thunderstorm, that was the only thing i was like "what?" while watching the movie. i would also like to see the legal battles Loomis would've had with the courts trying to keep michael locked up. all of those are interesting ideas.

Laow-Z
08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
how about him swearing to the public that he's not making H9, and then, got ya i'm remaking H1. he played with words to make us believe something else. so just giving you a good reason.
What are you talking about? He said he's not doing H9...and he isn't. He "remaking" H1 which we knew from when the news was announced. There was no play on words, he said exactly what you said from the beginning.

Laow-Z
08-21-2006, 12:07 PM
one thing that i think should be explained in this movie is how did the patients get out of the hospital, because if i remember correctly there was more than one patient outside during a damn thunderstorm, that was the only thing i was like "what?" while watching the movie.
They talked about that in the Extended Edition. Michael busted all the doors pushing all the patients outside according to the nurse. However they didn't actually show that, it was just said by the nurse to Loomis. That could be a pretty good scene to put in the movie.

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 12:17 PM
What are you talking about? He said he's not doing H9...and he isn't. He "remaking" H1 which we knew from when the news was announced. There was no play on words, he said exactly what you said from the beginning.

seriously c'mon, yes we know that he not making H9 but he was making an affiliated Halloween movie, i'm not calling him a liar, all im saying is that he's skillful in using his words in a way to have us believe what he wants us to. its like magic, we know the magician doesn't have magic, but somehow he's still tricking us, the hand is quicker than the eyes, words are slicker than the mind. thats my view on it, i for one didn't appreciate looking like an idiot when the revelation was made. if you read my previous statements you'll see that i'm not critical, not until i see some hard stuff, then i'll make my decisions on what i think of this little project. i didn't think that zombie was the director to do this, but learning he was a fan lightened me up, i'm still not sure though.

H-Field Hero
08-21-2006, 12:18 PM
What could that place have to do with this movie?Thats the fun part about waiting and seeing. Rob is going to make this a different movie instead of just halloween done in 2007.

Also, I am just saying what has happened so far. Dimension has ruined the series with the later sequels. Fact.I'll give you H6 and H:R, but from a main stream stand point, H20 brought the series back from the dead. Yeah, I give the film a hard time and think it's flawed more than what the casual fan realizes, but still.

Rob Zombie's movies has been gorefests. Fact. Now he has said this won't be one, but for some reason I just don't believe him.Thats some weak speculation there. If he was going to lie about his plans for the film what would even be the point of taking time out to post here. So he can say "hahaha, suckers!" after it's released? I mean c'mon now.

Plus he hasn't done anything to prove he is worthy of this task.Well John Carpenter certainly wasn't "John Carpenter" prior to Halloween. I believe Rosenthal did no directing prior to H2 and the same goes for Tommy Lee Wallace. Dwight Little and Dominique Othenin-girard weren't exactly proven directors prior to their halloween efforts. Joe Chappelle... well, I won't even go there. Some of these guys did great jobs, some did good jobs, some did poor jobs. So previous experience doesn't have a whole lot of bearing when we're talking about this particular series, because none of the directors had any huge successes under their belts prior to taking on a halloween film. Steve Miner was the only known director.

As of the present, I'd say Rob Zombie's name is bigger than most of those guys names were when they made their halloween films.

how about him swearing to the public that he's not making H9, and then, got ya i'm remaking H1. he played with words to make us believe something else. so just giving you a good reason.LOL. Are you being serious?

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 12:19 PM
They talked about that in the Extended Edition. Michael busted all the doors pushing all the patients outside according to the nurse. However they didn't actually show that, it was just said by the nurse to Loomis. That could be a pretty good scene to put in the movie.

an extended edition of which film, H1 or H2?

TheShape'78
08-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Laow-Z means the extended version of H1.

szenkay
08-21-2006, 01:03 PM
I Say Hell No!!! Dont Mess With A Classic!!! If U Do A Prequel, Do A Straight Up Prequel!!! If U Do A Sequel, Do A Straight Up Sequel!!! But Dont Do A Remake In Any Way, Shape, Or Form!!!

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 01:03 PM
nice alucard pic

and thanks for clarifying that for me.

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 01:05 PM
I Say Hell No!!! Dont Mess With A Classic!!! If U Do A Prequel, Do A Straight Up Prequel!!! If U Do A Sequel, Do A Straight Up Sequel!!! But Dont Do A Remake In Any Way, Shape, Or Form!!!

bro i hope they don't eat you alive, i respect your view, but some people here loved H5 so what could i say.

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 01:37 PM
I'd rather see a classic remade than another shitty sequel.

i find myself agreeing with you, which worries me about the direction of this franchise. i have to agree, how much worse can a remake be than a sequel, if we're going to fuck up lets do it in a big way. hell lets make "Ghost of Mars on Halloween" lets get good ol' john to direct.

mmyers78
08-21-2006, 03:46 PM
to tell you the truth i'm not sure about a remake you know hr's ending wasn't that great i personally think zombie should do another sequel to hr because you can't end the series like that so i think he should do another sequel the maybe 3 yrs after do a remake. but i guess theres nothing you can do about it its gonna happen

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 04:21 PM
to tell you the truth i'm not sure about a remake you know hr's ending wasn't that great i personally think zombie should do another sequel to hr because you can't end the series like that so i think he should do another sequel the maybe 3 yrs after do a remake. but i guess theres nothing you can do about it its gonna happen

yea right, not to say anything about your post, but if they were to cut this project now and begin on H9, that should go down in history as the biggest case of blue balls hollywood has ever given us, regardless on what its going to be like i still want to see it because my curiousity sucks that way, i'm one of those people that just can't go cold turkey just like that. this is not a bad idea, its just the director that we found ourselves debating over, i understand the point you're trying to make, let zombie attempt a sequel and lets see if hes worthy, but with the new Tyler Bates score he's working on, and all that, the wheels on this bus has suddenly found itself rolling. another reason that another sequel isn't the answer is that making another movie from where HR left off only leaves room for another bad movie, think about why there hasn't been another sequel to Jason X, and they just went straight to Freddy vs Jason, because they had nowhere to go, sort of like what happened with H6 and what inadvertantly happened with H2O, if they would have left that alone then that would've been fine, but no they had to mess with it. so thats why i don't think they should now stop, i agree that the original is a classic and nothing can top, but ask yourself this question, what if?

i haven't said that i'm supporting or not supporting zombie, all this talk has got me wired and i just want to see something new. new but back to the oldschool Halloween.

Brackett
08-21-2006, 04:33 PM
I hope he uses more light and shadow and less blood and gore

Rabbit in Red
08-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I finished watching "The Devil's Rejects" with Rob's commentary and I have to say not only is Rob qualified to helm this project, but he just seems like a down to earth nice guy. He seemed to have a firm grasp on the story and atmoshpere with TDR as well as giving the audience a healthy blend of character and action. I promise this isn't all ass kissing, just around 95% of it.

One thing I really noticed while watching TDR again was the beautiful photography by Phil Parmet. I know most everyone would love to have Dean Cundey come back, but with the different direction of this version, it would make sense that the film would also have a different look.

While watching TDR, I remembered an article Parmet did in Movie Maker magazine right after he completed TDR. Phil seems to have a good working relationship with Rob (Rob feel free to comment on this if you want).

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Rob seems to have a history of good decisions on who he surrounds himself with to make his films.

hipcheck
08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
I felt a real "RUSH" after watching TDR.... and this was before RZ's involvement with H(RI) was announced. This Man is the Best thing that could happen to the franchise (outside of CARPENTER, and even that is debateable) RZ will give us a beautiful film, ... opening night will feel like the first time you watched it as a kid. I guarantee that it will feel 70's & Old-School Halloween, and for that alone, I'm excited.

benluvin
08-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Before Zombie started posting on here my feelings were bad. I thought he would turn Halloween into another bloodfest stupid remake. Now from what I've read of his and the fact that he cares enough to even look on this board, my feelings are mutual. I'm not going to say "I think he'l do great" just because he posts here, but with that kind of dedication and the fact that he cares I think maybe it could be good. The whole looking more into the characters sounds good. I'm just worried there will be too much blood and not enough suspence.

Todd 78
08-21-2006, 05:00 PM
I hope it doesn't turn into an almost scene for scene carbon copy like that dreadful remake of Psycho. I have no problems with restarting the series over, but I want to see some new stuff, If the the ending is exactly the same as the oriiginal than there will be little tension it in.

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 06:03 PM
I hope it doesn't turn into an almost scene for scene carbon copy like that dreadful remake of Psycho. I have no problems with restarting the series over, but I want to see some new stuff, If the the ending is exactly the same as the oriiginal than there will be little tension it in.

where can i find posts that zombie has put up?

MMyers89
08-21-2006, 06:08 PM
where can i find posts that zombie has put up?

He posts in this thread, and some of the other threads about his movie. He has also made a thread in this forum: "Zombie has a question for the fans."

his screen name is ROB ZOMBIE.

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 06:39 PM
man, i read his posts, and my entire outlook is different, and just because of 2 things, his idea for keeping the exact mask as in H1 and H2 and the fact that he asked us to post our favorite Halloween scene, that was awesome, i'm behind this now, i still think he can't have gore though.

HalloweeN63
08-21-2006, 06:50 PM
All I can say is.. is that I'm really interested to see his take on it. I wanna say I'm kind of excited about him doing it. With him being a fan, and knowing his good share of the series, well.. why worry?

I know people probably say, "well look at the past films he has done. that's not halloween style", with the twisted, fuckin gory shit. I dont know. I've never seen house or rejects, but.. Zombie knows what Halloween's all about. He's got my vote all over it. DO IT ZOMBIE, DO IT BABY.

I'M YOUR BOOGEYMAN. <3 Zombie.

MyersFan927
08-21-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of the prequel/remake idea - prequel in that it explores evil's roots and it might take away from the movie being ambiguous, and remake in that I usually hate someone redoing an already used idea. Still, the new Halloween will reboot more than anything, and take on a new universe...that I like. I'm in support of Zombie until I see otherwise. His intentions for the movie and his involvement here are great, and I think that even though Halloween doesn't really need a prequel/remake, there's a very good chance this will have an excellent turnout. I have optomism on this.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-21-2006, 06:54 PM
man, i read his posts, and my entire outlook is different, and just because of 2 things, his idea for keeping the exact mask as in H1 and H2 and the fact that he asked us to post our favorite Halloween scene, that was awesome, i'm behind this now, i still think he can't have gore though.
Glad you feel that way. The guy does seem to honestly care about what the fans think, and I know he's got ample respect for the original...unlike certain directors in this series (I'm looking at you, Rosenthal...and just where do you think you're going, Chappelle?). I really believe that he's going to try his damnedest to make this something special. If he succeeds, it'll be just the kind of shot in the arm that this franchise needs after H:R. And if he fails...well, he fails. But I trust his vision...and I think that we all have every reason to do so until such time as we are faced with something truly dire. And thusfar, I haven't heard anything bad.

Laow-Z
08-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Rob's comment about the mask he want's to use definately got us excited with a small sense of relief (if everything play's out the way he wants) so with that out of the way I would say the few remaining concerns I have is that I hope he can use the same type of house like in H1 (no mansion), have it filmed like it was back in '78 that gritty,dark look and feel and Carpenter's original theme has to be in the movie somewhere, somehow sometimes at the least need that classic piano sound:)

MyersFan927
08-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Speaking of Carpenter, I'm glad that Zombie got his support. Just wanted to add that. If JC is happy, that's something for Rob to be proud of. :)

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 07:06 PM
i think there should be a thread were we should just post what kind of things we would like to see in this movies, and actor or actresses that should be considered, and then rob has a source to look at in case he feels uninspired at times, i've written a few scripts and a bunch of short stories, i'm pretty sure you would know about this EOTL seeing that you're a screenwriter, if you're not inspired your mind locks up.

mannylb88
08-21-2006, 07:08 PM
one thing i was curious about, the opening credits, strictly speculation, do you think he'll use the original with the jack-o-lantern, or go for something new?

Roswell
08-21-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm hoping they go for the jack-o-lantern opening credits.

MyersFan927
08-21-2006, 07:48 PM

I think that since Zombie wants a turnaround he'll look for something different. The pumpkin credits have been done before, after all. The only similarities I think he wants to have deal with characters, Myers himself, and thematic elements - basically everything else is going to differ so it doesn't directly parallel to the original. So my guess is that the opening credits will not have the jack-o-lantern. Maybe he can do JC's alternate idea for the credits montage!

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-21-2006, 07:50 PM
i think there should be a thread were we should just post what kind of things we would like to see in this movies, and actor or actresses that should be considered, and then rob has a source to look at in case he feels uninspired at times, i've written a few scripts and a bunch of short stories, i'm pretty sure you would know about this EOTL seeing that you're a screenwriter, if you're not inspired your mind locks up.
Indeed, writer's block can be a real bitch. But the problem I see as being inherent in a thread like that is this. Even if it's started with all the right intentions, all it takes is a few people to turn it into a thread whose purpose is telling Rob what he should do. And I don't think that would be proactive. In fact, if anything, I think it would just seem pushy.

I think Rob Zombie has demonstrated that if he has a question for the fans, he's more than willing to put it out there. We're lucky to have him here, and I think we should try not to come across as pushy. Because even a well-intentioned thread of "potential ideas"...a well, if you will...can easily degenerate into something ugly, giving the impression that the fans only care about what they want to see, and not about what Zombie himself wants to bring to this film. It's not every day that a writer/director joins a message board, while writing the script for a highly anticipated film, and asks the fans specific questions about their likes and dislikes, or answers direct questions about his intentions. Zombie has done that, and I'm sure that if he needs input, he won't hesitate to ask. Until such time, I think we should let him work.

As am I...but then, I hope it's a different interpretation of the same theme. As much as I love that original credits sequence, it belongs to H1. One of the few really great things about H5 was its opening...a very different take on the traditional Halloween Jack O' Lantern theme. That is what I'd like to see in the new film. Something that hearkens back to the original, but maintains its own sense of identity. Since it will likely be the first thing we see, I think it should affirm its roots in the original, while simultaneously asserting itself as Rob Zombie's entirely new vision.

Johnathon
08-22-2006, 09:37 AM
I agree...though I hope they'll stay away from young television actors, considering the lack of talent that is generally displayed on television these days. And the last thing we need is more refugees from the WB creeping into our slasher movies.

Well I didn't mean big TV stars. Like you said, WB is full of no talent "celebrities." They ruined The Fog, so I would definately not want a WB star do another remake of one of my favorite movies. I meant the kind of actress who is like Jamie Lee Curtis, who only did like some work on Operation Petticoat and Quincy ME at that time.

mannylb88
08-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Well I didn't mean big TV stars. Like you said, WB is full of no talent "celebrities." They ruined The Fog, so I would definately not want a WB star do another remake of one of my favorite movies. I meant the kind of actress who is like Jamie Lee Curtis, who only did like some work on Operation Petticoat and Quincy ME at that time.

i agree the fog was bad, but i wouldn't solely blame Tom Welling for the movies failure, he actually is one of those few "Good" actors from the WB, just like michael rosenbaum, and this is in no way just advertisement for Smallville, they just have a great cast.

i think that zombie can keep the jack-o-lantern opening credits and still make the film his own. look at what bryan singer did with the opening credits with superman returns, he paid homage to the original, i think it could be a way of letting people know, hey this movie is done my way but i recognize, and pay respect to the original, also that opening scene was the first thing we ever saw of this franchise, this opening sequence is adored to fans just as much as michael is.

MMyers89
08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
As am I...but then, I hope it's a different interpretation of the same theme. As much as I love that original credits sequence, it belongs to H1. One of the few really great things about H5 was its opening...a very different take on the traditional Halloween Jack O' Lantern theme. That is what I'd like to see in the new film. Something that hearkens back to the original, but maintains its own sense of identity. Since it will likely be the first thing we see, I think it should affirm its roots in the original, while simultaneously asserting itself as Rob Zombie's entirely new vision.

I agree. A Jack-O-Lantern themed opening would be cool, but I don't think he should try to re-create the original. Do something like H5 did, and have a Jack-O-Lantern in the opening, but change it up a little, do something new with it.

woohalloween
08-22-2006, 01:11 PM
the jack-o-latern was such a cheap and effective way of starting the movie. saves the films budget and still gets the job done with class. maybe not an exact intro like in HalloweeN, but a new variation of it.

to be honest. the way Rob is talking of his plans for the story, i highly doubt we'll be upset with the intro. Rob acknowledges the classic and respects it. not for being a choppy, flashy, no attention span slasher of 90's, but a steady tempo, wide frame suspense movie. i have faith in him.

ten31
08-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I have mixed feeling about Rob Zombie writing and directing the new Halloween. Yes I think having his name attached to the project will bring in a bigger box office than H9 would. He brings in a built in fan base that will listen, and watch anything he puts out. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of both Zombie's music and his talent as a filmmaker and I hope that he creates an amazing new Halloween film.

I thought Devil's Rejects was a great film, and hope that he get's to do a similar second disk with the in's and out's of the fillm from pre to post when his Halloween comes to DVD. House on the other hand I thought was a little weak. I think in part that it had to do with Universal's ideas of what they wanted and what Rob Zombie wanted(Sitting on shelf for a couple of years didn't help it either). I think that a major part was due to the script honestly being just a little too thin. It was a great homage to the explotation of the 70's but a little substance would have been nice to go along with it. Maybe even some good lead characters instead of the ones that were written.

I hope that he doesn't loose what made Halloween great. A small picture that was very stylized by a director and an amazing DP (Dean Cundy, who should be brought back for this flick) who brought a visual style to a simple story and created characters that were memorable unlike Zombie's House. Other than the Reject's clan the other leads and secondary characters were all throw aways.

Like I said I think he has talent as a filmmaker. Hopefully he realizes that he doesn't have to take a 180 on the series and bring something that doesn't fit into the Halloween universe. I will give him credit for actually being on the board and asking the hardcore fans what they like and dislike. Now if he actually listens to us will be the true test.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-22-2006, 08:44 PM
I have mixed feeling about Rob Zombie writing and directing the new Halloween. Yes I think having his name attached to the project will bring in a bigger box office than H9 would. He brings in a built in fan base that will listen, and watch anything he puts out. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of both Zombie's music and his talent as a filmmaker and I hope that he creates an amazing new Halloween film.

I thought Devil's Rejects was a great film, and hope that he get's to do a similar second disk with the in's and out's of the fillm from pre to post when his Halloween comes to DVD. House on the other hand I thought was a little weak. I think in part that it had to do with Universal's ideas of what they wanted and what Rob Zombie wanted(Sitting on shelf for a couple of years didn't help it either). I think that a major part was due to the script honestly being just a little too thin. It was a great homage to the explotation of the 70's but a little substance would have been nice to go along with it. Maybe even some good lead characters instead of the ones that were written.

I hope that he doesn't loose what made Halloween great. A small picture that was very stylized by a director and an amazing DP (Dean Cundy, who should be brought back for this flick) who brought a visual style to a simple story and created characters that were memorable unlike Zombie's House. Other than the Reject's clan the other leads and secondary characters were all throw aways.

Like I said I think he has talent as a filmmaker. Hopefully he realizes that he doesn't have to take a 180 on the series and bring something that doesn't fit into the Halloween universe. I will give him credit for actually being on the board and asking the hardcore fans what they like and dislike. Now if he actually listens to us will be the true test.
Ho1KC was a throwback to real '70s exploitation flicks...if it seems a bit thin as far as substance or real content is conerned, let's remember the films it was paying tribute to, and realize that it has just as much, or more, substance than a majority of those films. I do see it as "inferior" to TDR in terms of style and approach...but really, it's just an entirely different kind of movie. It's frenetic and almost cartoonish in many ways...whereas TDR is precisely the reverse. Far more grounded in a recognizable reality. But for a directorial debut paying homage to '70s exploitation, Ho1KC is pretty damn good.

But I do think that the evolution of Zombie's directorial talent can be clearly seen in the leap from Ho1KC to TDR...as can his versatility. His ability, I do not doubt...nor his respect for the original. And he has a great track record of backing up his convictions and not backing down in the face of studio pressure, which is both admirable and most likely essential on a project like this. I don't think he's going to do a 180 on the Halloween premise, or betray the elements that made the original brilliant. In fact, if I understand him correctly, his goal is to revitalize that which made the original brilliant...which he feels was deadened throughout the course of the sequels.

As for bringing back Dean Cundey...I don't think it's necessary, first of all. And second, let's not forget that where he succeeded admirably in H1, he often failed in H2. The lighting in H2 simply wasn't right in many scenes, which was a contributing factor in the very tangible shift in atmosphere from the first film to the second. As DP, Cundey was in charge of lighting those scenes, and rarely succeeded to the extent that he had in H1. Don't get me wrong...I am an admirer of his work, in general, and think he did a phenomenal job with H1. But I think he proved in H2 that he, as well as anyone, could drop the ball when it came to creating the right tone and atmosphere. That's Point A. Point B is that there are a great many DPs in the business who are every bit as good as Cundey, and could do a wonderful job recreating the feel of Halloween. Cundey did great work on H1...that's an absolute given. But 28 years later, he isn't the only name in the book. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

Shamrock-Robot
08-22-2006, 08:49 PM
I think the jack'o'lantern opening should definately be brought back in this one, Id kinda like to see it done similair in a way to Halloween 5's opening but at the same time different, that is what the last three movies lacked was the jack'o'lantern opening, I definately hope Rob brings that back.

mannylb88
08-23-2006, 12:23 PM
i happened to like H2O's opening sequence with all the newspaper clipping Loomis had, and showing his obsession until the day he died, i liked it. HR was bad, the first 15 minutes were good and then it was bad. i wouldn't say that the last 3 films lacked just the jack-o-lantern opening scene, a lot of people would agree that it lacked way more than that.

Joe Kerr
08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I think the jack'o'lantern opening should definately be brought back in this one, Id kinda like to see it done similair in a way to Halloween 5's opening but at the same time different, that is what the last three movies lacked was the jack'o'lantern opening, I definately hope Rob brings that back.
it was originally supposed to be the mask instead of the jack-o-lantern

xthornx
08-23-2006, 04:24 PM
The alternate opening of Halloween resurection was awesome. Maybe they will start from that.

-xthornx-

ghettomyers
08-23-2006, 04:50 PM
wat alternate opening

mannylb88
08-23-2006, 04:51 PM
thats what i thought...

:question:
:bigeyes:

TheShape'78
08-23-2006, 05:48 PM
the alternate opening for resurrection is the myers family having a picnic. it was made to look like it was being run on a projector. you really haven't seen or heard of this alternate opening. the camera follows young michael, but michael keeps signaling for the camera to stay away. he turns around and they go closer to his black shadowed eyes and into the tunnel in the psychiatric hospital laurie is at.

SLAB
08-23-2006, 05:57 PM
In other words, it's the opening from "Halloween: 25 Years Of Terror". :D

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-23-2006, 08:15 PM
i happened to like H2O's opening sequence with all the newspaper clipping Loomis had, and showing his obsession until the day he died, i liked it.
I actually liked the H20 opening, as well...though I think it would have worked better with Pleasence's voice for the V/O. I know they said the tempo of the original lines wasn't right. But there are ways to alter the tempo of spoken dialogue without disturbing the tone, pitch, or rhythm of the speech. I think they should have tried to work with Donald's lines until they fit the opening. If it still didn't fit, they could have found a good impressionist...or just someone who sounded like Pleasence. Shop around a bit, you know? Because the guy they got sounded nothing like him.

I really liked the clippings and everything, though. That was great to see. And I also liked the older detective in the opening. I thought he had the potential to be a great character, and was always a bit saddened that he ended up being a throwaway exposition device instead.

mmyers78
08-24-2006, 07:39 AM
yea right, not to say anything about your post, but if they were to cut this project now and begin on H9, that should go down in history as the biggest case of blue balls hollywood has ever given us, regardless on what its going to be like i still want to see it because my curiousity sucks that way, i'm one of those people that just can't go cold turkey just like that. this is not a bad idea, its just the director that we found ourselves debating over, i understand the point you're trying to make, let zombie attempt a sequel and lets see if hes worthy, but with the new Tyler Bates score he's working on, and all that, the wheels on this bus has suddenly found itself rolling. another reason that another sequel isn't the answer is that making another movie from where HR left off only leaves room for another bad movie, think about why there hasn't been another sequel to Jason X, and they just went straight to Freddy vs Jason, because they had nowhere to go, sort of like what happened with H6 and what inadvertantly happened with H2O, if they would have left that alone then that would've been fine, but no they had to mess with it. so thats why i don't think they should now stop, i agree that the original is a classic and nothing can top, but ask yourself this question, what if?

i haven't said that i'm supporting or not supporting zombie, all this talk has got me wired and i just want to see something new. new but back to the oldschool Halloween.

i see your point. i guess your right. maybe a new halloween wouldn't be so bad

H-Field Hero
08-24-2006, 07:52 AM
I really liked the clippings and everything, though. That was great to see. And I also liked the older detective in the opening. I thought he had the potential to be a great character, and was always a bit saddened that he ended up being a throwaway exposition device instead.Certainly one of the best things H20 offered to the series. That and the scene where Durand lowers himself down from the rafters.

I may be totally off on this, but wasn't that detective originally supposed to have a larger role? Or wasn't there some law figure playing a larger role in the film at one point?

xthornx
08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
The opening to H20 has a very errie but epic feel..with loomis's voice in the back ground and all the clippings and what not. Brings you back to hallowen 1978.

-xthornx-

MMyers89
08-24-2006, 02:11 PM
That was great to see. And I also liked the older detective in the opening. I thought he had the potential to be a great character, and was always a bit saddened that he ended up being a throwaway exposition device instead.

Ah, finally someone else who sees that. I think H20 would have been much better if that character was used more, and if the film was set more in that neighborhood area. That detective could have had a Loomis-esque role.

Loomis Myers
08-24-2006, 07:06 PM
I may be totally off on this, but wasn't that detective originally supposed to have a larger role? Or wasn't there some law figure playing a larger role in the film at one point?

Yes, I believe so. I think Kevin Williamson's script called for a bigger part to be played by the detective--and maybe another female officer.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-25-2006, 01:43 AM
Certainly one of the best things H20 offered to the series. That and the scene where Durand lowers himself down from the rafters.

I believe that in earlier drafts, the detective was meant to have a larger role. Pity that they whittled it down to nothing...and sadder still that they kept him around just to peddle the backstory and vanish. If it's gonna be a nothing role, just cut the damn character. Don't get me wrong, he was great while he was onscreen...but it's kind of a drag when you spend the next 80 minutes wondering where the hell he went.

The opening to H20 has a very errie but epic feel..with loomis's voice in the back ground and all the clippings and what not. Brings you back to hallowen 1978.

-xthornx-
If it was Loomis's (i.e. Donald Pleasence's) voice, it would be even better. ;)

Ah, finally someone else who sees that. I think H20 would have been much better if that character was used more, and if the film was set more in that neighborhood area. That detective could have had a Loomis-esque role.
From the moment he opened his mouth, I had him pegged as the best character in the movie. Then he simply disappeared. Disappointing, but I still think I was right...he was the best character in the film, even if he only had one scene. To use him just for exposition, though...criminal, considering the role he could have played in the storyline.

And man, we've strayed a bit off-topic here. haha A bit of talk about Jack O' Lanterns has somehow got us to this point...speculating as to what "might have been" had H20 utilized the detective from the opening to fuller effect. So (trying desperately to get back on track) I guess that Rob Zombie should try to avoid introducing characters in the opening for the sole purpose of "laying the groundwork," then disappearing from the story altogether. Especially intriguing characters like the detective in H20. The nurse in H:R, I couldn't care less about. She was obviously an exposition device, and was written that way from the beginning. But I hate it when a good character comes along, appears relevant to the plot, spits out some exposition, and vanishes.

H-Field Hero
08-25-2006, 07:07 AM
I'm 300 miles from being a film making expert, but to me there are right and wrong ways to write exposition characters. Obviously they're often needed, ESPECIALLY in horror sagas. I think the prison guard in Halloween 4 was well written. He fills in the backstory and it comes off slightly obvious (as if the two medics wouldn't have heard this story by now), but somehow it works. In H20 the detective comes off very well and most importantly convincing. As EOTL was saying, this guy could have had a larger role. Who knows what the film would have been like if his role would have been increased and the teen stuff decreased. But then your two leads are him and JLC which makes this a movie pretty much about adults, which strays away from the teen audience, blah blah blah. Anyways, onto H:R. The exposition device in that film was way too obvious in my eyes. They may as well just had a disembodied voice say all of that stuff haha.

In Robs case he really shouldn't need any characters like this in his story[/desperate attempt to tie this post in with the topic of the thread].

NightmareMan84
08-25-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm 300 miles from being a film making expert, but to me there are right and wrong ways to write exposition characters. Obviously they're often needed, ESPECIALLY in horror sagas. I think the prison guard in Halloween 4 was well written. He fills in the backstory and it comes off slightly obvious (as if the two medics wouldn't have heard this story by now), but somehow it works. In H20 the detective comes off very well and most importantly convincing. As EOTL was saying, this guy could have had a larger role. Who knows what the film would have been like if his role would have been increased and the teen stuff decreased. But then your two leads are him and JLC which makes this a movie pretty much about adults, which strays away from the teen audience, blah blah blah. Anyways, onto H:R. The exposition device in that film was way too obvious in my eyes. They may as well just had a disembodied voice say all of that stuff haha.

In Robs case he really shouldn't need any characters like this in his story[/desperate attempt to tie this post in with the topic of the thread].

I hate the part of the exposition of H:R where the guy's talking and, I blame the writer for this, he says 4 nurses and a paramedic were killed in 1978. Come on, the man who directed H2 did this film as well for pete's sake! They should have gotten that right.

mannylb88
08-25-2006, 04:17 PM
i thought that those two cops in the beginning wee going to be in the rest of the movie. sometimes you get feelings about whos going to die by their actions, and when the younger cop said "Michael Myers... Yea right" i was like that suckers dead. nevertheless i thought it would've been cool to integrate those cops into the story.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-25-2006, 09:49 PM

hahahahahahaha!

Yeah, we've been having those "desperate attempts" a lot lately. Bit I can't help it, I have to comment on this, because you hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. I thought the guard in H4 was very effective, despite his obvious role as exposition-jockey. The thing they were able to do that made that character work was very simple...they gave him a personality. Even if he was really only there to deliver the backstory, he still had a personality. For my money, "Jesus ain't got nothin' to do with this place" is one of the best lines of dialogue in the entire series, and the actor nailed the delivery. He was a good character, and so it worked. But at the same time, we knew what kind of character he was, and so were not disappointed when he didn't turn up in subsequent scenes. This is also important.

In H20, the detective had a personality, as well. The trouble was that the film gave the impression that this character was going to be more than just a simple exposition device. The way he comes across in that scene, we get the feeling, as first-time viewers, that we're going to be seeing a lot of this guy...and that he could even make a suitable stand-in for the late Dr. Loomis. Then, we are suddenly transported 2000 miles from Haddonfield, and never see this character again. The failure here is in taking a great character and reducing him to exposition-rattling, when the general feeling is that he deserves an actual role in the story. This leaves us with a sense of disappointment.

And H:R...well, what can I say? You're absolutely right. A cheesy V/O narration from the standard unseen, omnisicent, deep-voiced entity would have worked just as well. Not only is it obvious (even heavy-handed) exposition, but the characters delivering it have no real depth or personality whatsoever. They may as well hold up placards with the designation "Exposition" stenciled on them in bright red letters.

Really, these three examples demonstrate the three basic types of exposition characters. There are those who are obviously there for exposition, but have personality...and these, I think, work the best. The other two types are variations of the first type...each lacking one of those two preferable elements. Either they have a personality, but don't strike the audience as "exposition carriers" (in which case, we end up wondering where they've gotten off to), or they are obvious exposition devices, but have no depth whatsoever (in which case, we merely resent their presence on the screen).

Hopefully, this can really be tied into the actual thread topic. haha But I think that, inasmuch as we're discussing likes and dislikes regarding specific things within the series, these observations can be viewed as both constructive and relevant. Because even for a reboot film such as Rob is making, a bit of exposition may still be required (most films require at least some)...and there are specific ways to handle it. But I don't think we have to worry there. The exposition in TDR was handled very well. All of it was either supplied by the lead or main supporting characters, or by Morris Green...a character who was, in my opinion, a perfect example of a great exposition device. He has personality and some signifiance beyond simply blurting out exposition...but we know that this is his main purpose and don't expect him to become a major player in the story.

mannylb88
08-25-2006, 10:04 PM
did rob mention, Marion being in the movie? if he's going to make the rabbit in red lounge a more significant part then Marion is going to have to be in it.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-25-2006, 10:14 PM
did rob mention, Marion being in the movie? if he's going to make the rabbit in red lounge a more significant part then Marion is going to have to be in it.
Not necessarily. Let's not forget that, while borrowing the more essential elements of the original, this will (for all intents and purposes) be its own story, and not necessarily entirely compatible with the story of the original film...i.e. the Rabbit in Red Lounge can be introduced in a completely different way and have an entirely new significance.

mannylb88
08-25-2006, 10:17 PM
yea but Marion had a matchbook in her car from Thr Rabbit in Red Lounge, thats why i wondered if she would be included.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-25-2006, 11:08 PM
yea but Marion had a matchbook in her car from Thr Rabbit in Red Lounge, thats why i wondered if she would be included.
Right, I'm just mentioning that the Rabbit in Red may have nothing to do with Marion in this film, and that Marion may not be included. I've heard nothing of her inclusion in the current draft of the script. And the Rabbit in Red can come into play in this film without Marion's presence...that's what I'm trying to say. You said that if the Rabbit in Red is to be included, Marion must be in the film. I don't see it that way.

mannylb88
08-26-2006, 05:58 AM
didn't Loomis also find a matchbook in the truck of the guy michael killed to get his outfit, by the train? maybe they show how michael stalked the guy, or snuck into his car and finally killed him in the middle of nowhere.

WhiteZombie
08-26-2006, 08:09 AM
didn't Loomis also find a matchbook in the truck of the guy michael killed to get his outfit, by the train? maybe they show how michael stalked the guy, or snuck into his car and finally killed him in the middle of nowhere.
I think that was Marions matchbook, it may have fallen out of the car. Thats why when Loomis saw it he has a surprised/scared type look because he knew Michael had been there. That and the robe.

Mechanix1992
08-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Whats a rabit in a red lounge? lol, ><

Joe Kerr
08-26-2006, 08:52 AM
well, probably a club of some sort...

Marion Chambers, has a matchbook from RIRL,
but y'no... we dont REALLY know exactly what it is..

Chaosboy
08-27-2006, 12:54 AM

I hope you're kidding

MeSoThorny
08-27-2006, 07:21 AM
I am hopefull about this remake but I really wish they had given the original series a real send-off with some finality. ANOES got Freddy's Dead and F13 got Jason Goes To Hell, both of which, while maligned by some, at least attempted to explain some mysteries and provide real closure for each series. They also got the action-packed romp FvJ. I really wish Helloween had happened, only because I would've loved a John Carpenter/Clive Barker collaboration. I keep hoping someone will get the rights to both series in comics and get the creators to give their story outline to a comics writer for an adaptation. Does anybody know who has the comics rights to Halloween these days?

myers316
08-27-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm also really looking forward to the new movie. I think the Halloween series needs a fresh break. If that means a new interpretation of the original then I'm all for it. I don't want another Halloween Resurrection. If I was to throw in my 2 cents, if there's any way Ellie Cornell and Danielle Harris could be cast, in new roles of course, that would be amazing. Both are loved by Halloween fans but both of them kind of got the shaft in the movies they did earlier in the series. Ellie was killed off for no reason other then complete stupidity. And Danielle's character was killed off while another actress was playing her for no reasons other then bullshit. They both have incredible acting ability, are nice people, and look great. I'm sick of politics and asshole writing/directing getting in the way of what is right for the movie and what the fans want. Rob, if you read this, please consider both of them and I'm looking forward to October 2007.

Frazetta
08-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Whats a rabit in a red lounge? lol, >< Look at the last word in the name of the establishemt. It's a Lounge aka a bar/resturant.

mannylb88
08-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Look at the last word in the name of the establishemt. It's a Lounge aka a bar/resturant.

i think the guy was kidding, thats why he wrote "LOL" right after, i can of course be mistaken.

its a lounge bro...

Joe Kerr
08-27-2006, 07:47 PM
i think the guy was kidding, thats why he wrote "LOL" right after, i can of course be mistaken.

its a lounge bro...
yeah but he put "rabbit in A red lounge"

mannylb88
08-27-2006, 07:52 PM
oh... gotcha.

Frazetta
08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Who wants to see more of the Strode family in Zombie's movie? I think it would be interesting to see them interact with Laurie & maybe bring up amongst themselves the fact that she is adopted & that he brother is Michael.

Muse
08-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Who wants to see more of the Strode family in Zombie's movie? I think it would be interesting to see them interact wit

It's a while since i watched H1, is any other member of the Strode family actaully in that film?

mannylb88
08-28-2006, 01:14 PM
It's a while since i watched H1, is any other member of the Strode family actaully in that film?

you only see Laurie's dad, and all he does is tell her to drop the keys at the myers house. thats it.

Muse
08-28-2006, 02:32 PM
ah yes, i remember now

yeah, i think it would be good to include more of the Strode family then, maybe cut back to them wherever they are on Halloween night and trying to contact Laurie or somthing...?? I dunno, but i agree Frazetta, that would be interesting

Frazetta
08-28-2006, 04:00 PM
ah yes, i remember now

yeah, i think it would be good to include more of the Strode family then, maybe cut back to them wherever they are on Halloween night and trying to contact Laurie or somthing...?? I dunno, but i agree Frazetta, that would be interesting Maybe Laurie's parents are at the Rabbit in Red Lounge?

Muse
08-28-2006, 04:03 PM
Maybe Laurie's parents are at the Rabbit in Red Lounge?

Like i said before, not watched in a while (will have to watch within next couple of weeks, im forgetting too much), what was the Rabbit in Red Lounge again???? (and yes, i saw the above posts, its a lounge/bar, but where did it come up in the film???)

(when i say a while i mean a couple of years so thats y im forgetting so much!!)

mannylb88
08-28-2006, 04:09 PM
hey guys i'm about to get hit by hurricane ernesto, guess what i'm gonna be watching on my portable DVD player? LOL.:han: seriously though, Ernesto's coming.

Frazetta
08-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Like i said before, not watched in a while (will have to watch within next couple of weeks, im forgetting too much), what was the Rabbit in Red Lounge again???? (and yes, i saw the above posts, its a lounge/bar, but where did it come up in the film???)

(when i say a while i mean a couple of years so thats y im forgetting so much!!) Loomis sees the RiRl matchbook in Marion Chambers car after she uses the match to light her ciggarette. Loomis then sees the matchbook laying in the field where Myers killed the towtruck driver.

mannylb88
08-28-2006, 04:27 PM
the matchbook is only there to let Loomis know that michael was where the tow truck driver was, after all Michael did steal Marion Chambers car, but RZ says he wants to integrate that into a larger part of the film.

Muse
08-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Ah, yes, that jogs my memory now...
I don't think there are many ways RZ could really make that into a bigger part of the movie to be honest. I think he will do what he wants to do, but i am liking the idea of the Strode family having something to do with it too. (which was mentioned in a post by Frazetta further up this page)

mannylb88
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Ah, yes, that jogs my memory now...
I don't think there are many ways RZ could really make that into a bigger part of the movie to be honest. I think he will do what he wants to do, but i am liking the idea of the Strode family having something to do with it too. (which was mentioned in a post by Frazetta further up this page)

the only thing i want to see involving the strodes is Laurie's adoptive mother admitting to Laurie that shes not her mother, and taking Laurie to see Michael at the hospital, which you can see that she did in H2. but heres a thought, what if RZ doesn't even want to make Laurie Michael's sister? thats a possibility. didn't he say that he wanted a reimagining. huh, theres a thought.

Muse
08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
the only thing i want to see involving the strodes is Laurie's adoptive mother admitting to Laurie that shes not her mother, and taking Laurie to see Michael at the hospital, which you can see that she did in H2. but heres a thought, what if RZ doesn't even want to make Laurie Michael's sister? thats a possibility. didn't he say that he wanted a reimagining. huh, theres a thought.

Hmmm, intersting thought, i don't think he would take it that far away from the original though. But if i remember rightly, no one knew they were brother/sister until H2, so it could work, depending on the angle he wants to take with it.
Imo, i think the Strodes should appear more, but only if they are given decent roles. I think what your sayin here though about the adoptive mother explaining to Laurie and takin Laurie for a visit is a v. good idea though.

Lupinus
08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
I have faith in him but I also have my worries. His movies are typically gore fests and Halloween done as is should be is anything but a typical slasher gore fest.

He has said it wont be that and I am willing to give the man the bennifit of the doubt, but I have my worries.

mannylb88
08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
i mean, i'm very happy and appreciative of RZ asking the fans questions about the movie, and i'm semi supportive, but it's not like he's Christopher Nolan, who "DID" revive a franchise in an amazing way in Batman Begins, so in that way he doesn't yet have my blind support, i'm still going to be a little critical, and i will not judge until i see a trailer, or atleast a fucking poster, so lets not get ahead of ourselves, lets not also roll over because RZ is asking us questions, if anything this puts more pressure on RZ to really get this right, because he's getting opinions from the damn source. this cannot blind us from recognizing what the project is, a very difficult reimagining that is going to try to make small things into bigger things. this is a resurrection, this movie is either going down as a straight classic, or straight to hell. i like what i'm hearing from RZ so far, now the next hurdle is the casting which will be critical. don't get me wrong i like the idea, but having an idea is one thing, converting it to reality is another.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-28-2006, 09:43 PM
i mean, i'm very happy and appreciative of RZ asking the fans questions about the movie, and i'm semi supportive, but it's not like he's Christopher Nolan, who "DID" revive a franchise in an amazing way in Batman Begins, so in that way he doesn't yet have my blind support, i'm still going to be a little critical, and i will not judge until i see a trailer, or atleast a fucking poster, so lets not get ahead of ourselves, lets not also roll over because RZ is asking us questions, if anything this puts more pressure on RZ to really get this right, because he's getting opinions from the damn source. this cannot blind us from recognizing what the project is, a very difficult reimagining that is going to try to make small things into bigger things. this is a resurrection, this movie is either going down as a straight classic, or straight to hell. i like what i'm hearing from RZ so far, now the next hurdle is the casting which will be critical. don't get me wrong i like the idea, but having an idea is one thing, converting it to reality is another.
It's okay to have reservations about the project...it's a good thing, in fact. Most of us have, in fact, adopted a stance of "Let's wait it out and see what happens." We're not giving the film our blind support...but we do see Zombie's potential. As well as his love for the original, and his obvious respect for the fans. But of course, no one knows how this is going to turn out yet. We're all just hoping.

Remember when talk was just starting about Begins? When the ball really got rolling with Goyer and Nolan? A lot of Batman fans were skeptical. It's hard to look back and recall that now because the film was such a smashing success with the fans...but a lot of them were worried about a reboot, as well. Even many of the people who now proclaim Batman Begins as the definitive Batman film were worried about it during the early stages. As more and more information came out, some of those apprehensions were quelled. And when the movie was finally released, it was generally embraced by the Batman fanbase as one of the greatest comic book adaptations of all time.

So, here we are again...the Halloween fans, this time. And we're a bit uncertain of the way this reboot is going to go. But as fans, I think we should at least support the project until bad news starts coming our way. In the meantime, I'm going to trust Rob Zombie to make a good film...and hope that my trust will be justified by the end result of his creative process. So far, I haven't heard anything from him that I'm upset about...and I've heard a few things that I'm very happy about. Until that changes, I'm all for this project. Only time will tell.

mannylb88
08-28-2006, 10:00 PM
It's okay to have reservations about the project...it's a good thing, in fact. Most of us have, in fact, adopted a stance of "Let's wait it out and see what happens." We're not giving the film our blind support...but we do see Zombie's potential. As well as his love for the original, and his obvious respect for the fans. But of course, no one knows how this is going to turn out yet. We're all just hoping.

Remember when talk was just starting about Begins? When the ball really got rolling with Goyer and Nolan? A lot of Batman fans were skeptical. It's hard to look back and recall that now because the film was such a smashing success with the fans...but a lot of them were worried about a reboot, as well. Even many of the people who now proclaim Batman Begins as the definitive Batman film were worried about it during the early stages. As more and more information came out, some of those apprehensions were quelled. And when the movie was finally released, it was generally embraced by the Batman fanbase as one of the greatest comic book adaptations of all time.

So, here we are again...the Halloween fans, this time. And we're a bit uncertain of the way this reboot is going to go. But as fans, I think we should at least support the project until bad news starts coming our way. In the meantime, I'm going to trust Rob Zombie to make a good film...and hope that my trust will be justified by the end result of his creative process. So far, I haven't heard anything from him that I'm upset about...and I've heard a few things that I'm very happy about. Until that changes, I'm all for this project. Only time will tell.

no i agree, i've heard a lot of good things with his wanting to keep the original mask, and using Laurie, Annie and Linda, but i just noticed people leaping before looking, and i just wanted people to see that. i'm not saying that i'm waiting for RZ to screw up to say i told you so, i just want to see something concrete. i'm curious about the project because at my core i want this to work, not to fail to try and uphold the original's glory, that will be foreverlasting, i'm on board, i'm just keeping my eyes open.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-28-2006, 10:38 PM
no i agree, i've heard a lot of good things with his wanting to keep the original mask, and using Laurie, Annie and Linda, but i just noticed people leaping before looking, and i just wanted people to see that. i'm not saying that i'm waiting for RZ to screw up to say i told you so, i just want to see something concrete. i'm curious about the project because at my core i want this to work, not to fail to try and uphold the original's glory, that will be foreverlasting, i'm on board, i'm just keeping my eyes open.
Yeah, I knew what you were saying. My main point was that while Nolan has definitely proved himself now, a lot of the same worries that are inherent in this new Halloween project were going on in the early stages of Begins. It's just something that inevitably happens in these situations...especially where truly dedicated fans exist in ample numbers.

I think that most people have a good outlook toward this film. They're willing to simply give it time and see what comes of it. Sure, there are a few people going overboard on either side ("This is going to be the best movie ever"..."Rob Zombie is killing Halloween"...etc.), but you'll always have those people. And in this case, at least, they're a considerable minority. I think that a vast majority of the fans are being absolutely grounded and reasonable in their attitude toward the project. They're hopeful, but naturally apprehensive. And that makes sense. Really, it's pretty much the only attitude that makes sense at a stage where the script isn't even finished.

Lupinus
08-29-2006, 06:29 AM
I think Rob has two hurdles-

1. He is doing a prequil/remake of a classic. I can honestly say aside from my grandparents I do not know a single person who has not see Halloween and some of the more popular sequels. So he has a lot to match up to considering he is not just making another sequel here, but is touching the original as well. So long as he does it how he says he is planning to, staying true to the characters and story, and not a gore fest slash anything that moves I think it should at least be fine. If he does a good job though it could be great.

2. He is coming off of Resurrection and has to draw the fans in. I know a lot of casual fans who have only seen the original movie once or twice and saw Resurrection and went "WTF is this?" It was a horrible movie and to draw casual watchers into the seats is going to be challenging I think.

Laow-Z
08-29-2006, 08:14 AM
2. He is coming off of Resurrection and has to draw the fans in. I know a lot of casual fans who have only seen the original movie once or twice and saw Resurrection and went "WTF is this?" It was a horrible movie and to draw casual watchers into the seats is going to be challenging I think.
I think his name alone will draw 50% of the people to the theater.

Lupinus
08-29-2006, 08:18 AM
That is possible. But studios in the end want the green stuff in large amounts and just the name Rob Zombie alone isn't going to bring that IMO. It is going to need good marketing to begin with and its going to need to be an even better film so there is lots of word of mouth about how good it is to convince people who aren't sure because of the last movie.

jmb_052
08-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Zombie's name alone will bring more people to this movie.

Secondly, it's a movie in the Halloween franchise, that will also bring people in. Resurrection sucked, but it still made 30 mil.

Lupinus
08-29-2006, 08:32 AM
true, but 30 mill in the movie world aint all that great, esspecialy if the movie cost some money to make. Hell one big name actor can run you 20 million.

Just has a strike agianst from that crap fest it is all I am saying

sf_slayer
08-29-2006, 08:56 AM
But come on? A preuqelesque sequel? Why not just make a movie that combines 5, 6, and all the rest to where it actually makes since? I mean they started going off on these half @$$ scenarios as to why Michael kills but none of it was all worked out right. First it was the Thorn only to be followed in H20 as to something about his family members turning 17, and then nothing. I was seriously thrown back by all that.

mannylb88
08-29-2006, 09:08 AM
a new beginning is necessary, if a sequel to H5 and H6 were to be made now, i guarantee that noone other than the fans of those movies would go and watch it.

hipcheck
08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
I think that a vast majority of the fans are being absolutely grounded and reasonable in their attitude toward the project. They're hopeful, but naturally apprehensive. And that makes sense. Really, it's pretty much the only attitude that makes sense at a stage where the script isn't even finished.

Very well stated gentlemen, I like this quality dialogue between EVIL & MANNY.

For what its worth, I never saw HOATC's because it looked kinda stupid to me. I'm not a Big Fan of Gore, especially Not in a Horror Movie. I enjoy the total opposite, ALL ATMOSHERE & SUSPENSE All-The-Time! However I took a chance on TDR because I read numerous good reviews on it....

I was Shocked at how good it was. I mean, I was really taken aback by the sheer Quality of the Film. It was immediately so much better than 99% of the garbage Horror that has come out over the last 20 years.

I watched the movie before Zombie was linked to the new project.... Anyway when I heard the news I was instantly "Over-Joyed" !!!

Zombie has The TALENT, The INTELLIGENCE, The ARTISTIC ABILITY & Most Importantly The RESPECT of the original Master-Piece to pull this off and make a new classic.

I predict that it will be the best since the original, the movie is in great hands right now. ....CAN NOT wait for opening night, going to be UN"frickin" REAL !!!!!!

MMyers89
08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I think this will definitely do better than H8. For one thing, the marketing will most definitely be better. I saw a couple of TV spots for H8 and a trailer before Jason X (there were two other people in the theater.) But I saw a lot of commercials for The Devil's Rejects on TV, and it was on Ebert and Roeper and such. I think this will be marketed more as another Rob Zombie film, and not be treated as being the 9th Halloween film made.

mannylb88
08-29-2006, 02:28 PM
if its isn't Jason X, anything can be better than HR.

Frazetta
08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
true, but 30 mill in the movie world aint all that great, esspecialy if the movie cost some money to make. Hell one big name actor can run you 20 million. I don't think Zombie's Halloween will cost that much to make. He has a knack for making a little amount of money go along way.

Lupinus
08-29-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't think it will either, just saying he has a lot to contend with to make it really something that works

mannylb88
08-29-2006, 04:43 PM
it shouldn't take a lot of money, its a horror movie, the only movies that should be cheaper to make are love stories. plus if this a no gore movie than money shouldn't be an issue.

TheShape'78
08-30-2006, 04:04 PM
that's so true mannylb88. i especially hope they have no gore.

dethmobile
08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
I welcome the re-imagining of Halloween. We've gotten 8 sequels, I think that's pretty good. I'd like to see another persons vision of Halloween. I believe the casting of Loomis is key. I don't care who it is, as long as he has class. Man, you sure can't beat Donald Pleasance though.

Frazetta
08-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I believe the casting of Loomis is key. I don't care who it is, as long as he has class. Man, you sure can't beat Donald Pleasance though. I don't think anyone, even Zombie himself, expects whoever he hires to play Loomis to 'beat' Pleasance in his version of Halloween. Donald Pleasance reached a place most actors can only dream about in that 1st Halloween & whoever Zombie chooses will have a hard task ahead of him to even equal Pleasance. I do think that there are afew out there who can put their own spin on the character & make it they're own cough Gary Oldman cough & that is really all I'm asking for.

Lupinus
08-30-2006, 07:04 PM
I still say Liam Neeson over Oldman

Roswell
08-30-2006, 07:08 PM

Care to say why?

Frazetta
08-30-2006, 07:14 PM
I never really considered Liam Neeson but if he was cast I certainly wouldn't Bitch about it.

Lupinus
08-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Care to say why?
I just personally think he fits the role better then Gary Oldman, no real specifics I jsut think he does.

I wont be disapointed if he isn't the next Loomis, but I'd like to see him do it.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-30-2006, 09:01 PM
that's so true mannylb88. i especially hope they have no gore.
Technically, gore is defined as blood, bloodshed, and/or violence. So that being the case, I doubt the film will have no gore in it. It is, after all, a horror movie. Even the original Halloween had some gore in it. I can understand that fans don't want this to be an overtly gory film...neither do I. I think that frequent and/or graphic depictions of gore should not be employed, and am fairly confident that they won't be. However, for people to say that the film should have no gore in it is simply unrealistic. You can't make a film like Halloween without a little gore. So long as it doesn't have buckets of gore like H2, I'll be happy with that aspect of it.

LAOCH
08-30-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm very excited about this re-imagining of Halloween and I welcome it with open arms. I've come to terms with the fact that there was nowhere else to go but down after Halloween: Resurrection. I think all of us Halloween fans know this. The series was fucked up, and there was no way of fixing it.

I'll admit that I didn't like House of 1000 Corpses, but one of these days I'm going to sit down and watch it again. I never did see the Devil's Rejects. Rob Zombie is a fan of the first film and that is exactly what we need. Someone who cares about the material that's being "re-imagined", if that's even a word.

As far as casting goes, Gary Oldman would be a good choice for Dr. Loomis. However, when I think of Laurie, I have a couple of actresses in mind. I've always, for some reason, thought LeeLee Sobieski would be a good Laurie Strode. I read something about Amber Tamblyn somewhere, and she wouldn't be bad either. Though, going with an unknown is probably what they'll do, and that's honestly probably the best way to go.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-30-2006, 11:57 PM
As far as casting goes, Gary Oldman would be a good choice for Dr. Loomis.
Another vote for Oldman. Hell, if the fans were casting this picture, I think it would be a landslide Gary Oldman victory. :D

I just personally think he fits the role better then Gary Oldman, no real specifics I jsut think he does.

I wont be disapointed if he isn't the next Loomis, but I'd like to see him do it.
Oldman fits any role. He has no particular look or acting style. That's what makes him a great actor. He's not iconic...he's just massively talented.

But if Liam Neeson were cast, I'd be overjoyed, as well. He's also a damn fine actor.

hipcheck
08-31-2006, 01:33 AM
I'll admit that I didn't like House of 1000 Corpses, but one of these days I'm going to sit down and watch it again. I never did see the Devil's Rejects. Rob Zombie is a fan of the first film and that is exactly what we need. Someone who cares about the material that's being "re-imagined", if that's even a word.

Dude, do yourself a favor and go rent/pick-up THE DEVILS REJECTS. I'm telling you, it is not just good, it is truly a GREAT Film. I'm no fan of sensationalized gore, but that movie was seriously one of the best horror movies I've ever seen since the original HALLOWEEN. I was Thrilled when I found out ZOMBIE would be directing.... give it a try, and let us know what you think!

CHEERS
:drink:

Muse
08-31-2006, 08:13 AM

imo, i can't see Liam Neeson taking on a role like that, i would say Oldman over Neeson any day, i think he could adapt to the role more and give Pleasence a performance to be proud of!!! (I'm not sayin Neeson wouldn't, i just rather see Oldman in the role)

Does anyone actally see any of these big name actors being in a film like this though?

myers316
08-31-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't see Liam Neeson doing a Halloween movie, but if he did then great. I'm actually a little scared about seeing someone else in the Loomis role because Donald Pleasance set the bar so high, I will constantly be comparing the actor to Donald in my mind. I think Patrick Stewart would be an awesome Loomis, though he's probably too tall. No one else really comes to mind.

I'm a big fan of Rob Zombie and truly believe he will do a good job, but with that said, it will not be easy. There's only two casting suggestions I have:
Danielle Harris
and
Ellie Cornell.

Slasher Villain
08-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Does anyone actally see any of these big name actors being in a film like this though?

I can actually yeh, because all though the franchise as a whole is new viewed as a bit pathetic by many, thanks to the whole 80s thing mainly I guess, the original is still widely respected by almost everyone and I think there's a few who would like to do their part to bring some respactability back to Carpenter's Halloween.

As for the idea as a whole, I'm all for it. To be honest, I'm not sure if I would have hand-picked Zombie to to dit, but the concept imo is great, much better than trying to make another sequel, which I think even if it was great would be pointless. We need new life into the series, new fans, many people to go to watch it, halloween fans, general movie fans and horror fans, and those who liked the original but became disenchanted, and definitely those who haven't even seen it, what better way than to give them a very good reimaging and modern night when HE came home, that will hopefully encourage them to check out the original and then maybe the others.....and I hopefor success enough to create enough money and impotace to make a damn good halloween 9. that's just me anyway lol

Even though I might have picked someone else, Zombie seems like a true fan who will do his utmost to bring respactability back and produce the best film he can and you can't ask for much more than that.

Stage 3
09-01-2006, 11:09 AM
i don't know anything about his casts yet for the new halloween but i thought it would be kind of cool if he brought back sheriff brackett as dr. loomis because he does have that old loomis look. he has a beard and he's bald.

Muse
09-01-2006, 11:16 AM
i don't know anything about his casts yet for the new halloween but i thought it would be kind of cool if he brought back sheriff brackett as dr. loomis because he does have that old loomis look. he has a beard and he's bald.

Nah, don't cast anyone down to looks!!! They have to have the right attitde and be able to adapt easily into the character

seetheshape
09-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Im so plesaed it is being done by Rob Zombie not just because im a fan of bothe but becuase I know hes a fan and he will not try to make it his own the wrong way. Im sure almost any unanswerd qestions fans have about the movie or movies will be anwserd as it was ment to be not what will draw addiences. CANT F**KIN WAIT

Creepingmouth
09-01-2006, 06:15 PM
I think Rob Zombie will do a good job,every halloween fan is waiting this movie desperately and considering H:R fiasco (Busta beating Micheal kung fu style must be considered one of the lowest point reached by the whole halloween series) I'm sure the next Halloween movie won't be that bad.
I also liked Zombie's previous movies and even if he has not a great experience he's got talent.Hopefully I won't walk away from the theater feeling depressed

hipcheck
09-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Im so plesaed it is being done by Rob Zombie not just because im a fan of bothe but becuase I know hes a fan and he will not try to make it his own the wrong way. Im sure almost any unanswerd qestions fans have about the movie or movies will be anwserd as it was ment to be not what will draw addiences. CANT F**KIN WAIT

:scratchhead: :lost: ..... what was that last part ???

:bastard:

TheShape'78
09-02-2006, 08:18 AM
i don't want anyone from the other halloween films in this new film in any way, and i especially don't want sheriff brackett playing loomis. he is already known as sheriff brackett and would never be accepted as loomis by anyone. no cameos either. leave the original series and it's actors alone.

mannylb88
09-13-2006, 06:06 PM
i don't want anyone from the other halloween films in this new film in any way, and i especially don't want sheriff brackett playing loomis. he is already known as sheriff brackett and would never be accepted as loomis by anyone. no cameos either. leave the original series and it's actors alone.

agreed...

this is a reimagining, the casting should be as so.

TheShape'78
09-13-2006, 06:15 PM
wow! we agree on something manny. this doesn't happen that often. i must cherish this moment.

mannylb88
09-13-2006, 06:19 PM
yea, you also have an alucard avatar which is fucking awesome, lets cherish that also, i'm not into anime at all, but thats the only one i ever watched, well other than Pokemon. :offtopic:

haha, my bad.

slasher
09-14-2006, 06:24 PM
I'll give Rob a chance and see what he does. I'll wait until I see the "new" Halloween before I pass judgement. I just hope he makes the "new" Halloween into a good scary movie and not some gory teen flick. God only knows I've had enough of seeing this crap! Remakes have stunk so far and from what I've heard and read the new Halloween is not so much a remake but a prequal and if this is true this is good. Time will tell.

Shamrock Silver
10-28-2006, 08:14 AM
...and I think Rob Zombie will do so effectively.

"House of 1,000 Corpses" was the first and only film that I ever walked out of (about halfway through).
And I saw enough of "The Devil's Rejects" on the Bravo special to know that I would hate it.
Films like "Last House on the Left", "T.C.M.", "Hostel", and those crazy super gory Japanese and Italian films are not my cup of tea.
But I think "Halloween" would be interesting to watch with some injection of this type of terror and horror.
I'm very interested to see it.

freethy
11-28-2006, 06:49 PM
To tell you the truth, I haven't seen any of his other movies, and what I have heard of them he will have to aprroach this in a completely other direction. Nut it's not fair to comment on his attempt untill you have actually sat down and watched the movie...it hasn't even been made yet so it could go one of three ways. Shit, good, suprising.

mr32
11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Hell when i first found out the news i was like WTF is going on, what happen to H9 so after reading the info that was starting a whole new franchise, yeah i had problem's with the idea, but it seen like a good idea even tho i thought the part about michael jackin off was sick and fucked up but i thought about it, it seem like its not a bad idea even tho he said he's it might not in up in the moive in the final production. So i'm for it to see michael scary again and hope it turn out to be a good film. When i first seen House of 1000 Corpses i didnt like at first cause i think i was like 18 and i wasnt a fan of the old TCM i guest cause i wasnt scare by it. That's my opinion on the orginal TCM, but when i seen the remake i liked that better than i took in House of 1000 Corpeses which is a true horror classic put together by Rob in my eye's now.
Didnt like the sequel tho i sorry i just didnt. Rob go on and do the damn please make this a big hit and if you have sequel's in mind bring them on to.

Wicker Man
11-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Rob seems to have the right approach by trying to make something of his own rather than just another shot by shot remake (like the recent "Omen" film). How his vision will compare to Carpenter's? I'll wait and see before I make any judgments. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that it could topple the original, but I'm not expecting that would ever happen either. I'm just looking for a kick ass ride that restores the franchise back to where it should be.

HALLOWEEN19:82
11-29-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't think Zombie is ready to make a Halloween movie, and seeing his first two movies that i think were very poor, i can't help but get a bad feeling about his Halloween movie.

I think as an artist he's great and i have admiration for him, but i personally don't like his style and don't think the cinema going public will dig it either if i'm honest.

I think this movie has come to early in his carrier. I'd have liked to see him learn his craft and get better as a director before being given this movie.

Still, as much as i wouldn't have let him within a mile of this project, i wish him all the luck in the world with this movie.

EvilOnTwoLegs
11-29-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't think Zombie is ready to make a Halloween movie, and seeing his first two movies that i think were very poor, i can't help but get a bad feeling about his Halloween movie.

I think as an artist he's great and i have admiration for him, but i personally don't like his style and don't think the cinema going public will dig it either if i'm honest.

I think this movie has come to early in his carrier. I'd have liked to see him learn his craft and get better as a director before being given this movie.

Still, as much as i wouldn't have let him within a mile of this project, i wish him all the luck in the world with this movie.
I think Zombie showed great improvement as a director between Ho1KC and TDR. Ho1KC was zany, over-the-top and, at times, disorienting. In some ways, it seemed like a feature-length extention of Zombie's established style for directing music videos. TDR was a massive step, cinematically, from that humble start. TDR, despite carrying over the same story, abondoned the unbelievable, almost cartoonish, elements of Ho1KC and really stripped everything down to its gritty roots in reality. The cinematic style of the film harks back to the halcyon days of American cinema in the 1970s (currently considered by many to be the last great era in the history of American film), and drew from influences that were grounded in a dark, realistic approach, such as Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer...with touches of influence from abstract practitioners like David Lynch.

At its best, the film showcased some truly effective moments that were both disturbing and depressing in their realistic portrayal of sociopathy. The character development, particularly in the case of Sheriff Wydell, is outstanding, and all of the characters from Ho1KC benefit greatly from being portrayed in a more grounded manner this time around. Otis's transformation from the weird, strung-out, sadistic albino of the first film to a pseudo-Charlie Manson wannabe messiah in TDR is a powerful example of this. Zombie obviously learned a great about filmmaking prior to setting about crafting TDR, and it shows a vast improvement and much potential for his future career in cinema.

I don't really think it's worthwhile to compare his Halloween project, about which we still know very little, to his previous work. Many of the people who see TDR as a substantial improvement over Ho1KC (myself included) may not have been as interested in seeing TDR, and might not have given it a chance, had we pre-judged it based upon the quality of the previous film. And really, pre-judging TDR would have been more sensible, considering the fact that it is ostensibly a sequel to H01KC. As it turned out, however, TDR was very different from Ho1KC, in terms of content, style, and directorial capability. So there's really no reasonable basis for assuming that Zombie's Halloween is going to be anything like his previous films. The style and tone at this point could be anything, because the style and tone of his first two films were like night and day.

Granted, the fact that the style and tone could be anything is a double-edged sword...it could go either way. It could be fantastic, it could be dreadful, it could be completely unremarkable. But until there's more to go on, and until we can see for ourselves what the style and tone of the film are, how Zombie is approaching the film, and how much he has progressed as a filmmaker (if at all) in the interim between TDR and Halloween, I think it's unreasonable to make assumptions as to what this film is going to be like. We're all equally in the dark here...and I think we would all benefit greatly from recognizing how much we don't know about this project yet, and not making snap judgments based on someone's previous body of work.

You say that you don't like Zombie's style, but he hasn't really shown us a set style. Not yet, anyway. He's still experimenting as a director. If Ho1KC and TDR had been really similar in style, then I might be more concerned. But even then, that could simply be chalked up to the fact that one was a sequel to the other, and may, therefore, not be indicative of an overall directing style. But even those two films were very different from one another, in terms of style...even if TDR was a sequel to Ho1KC. And I think those differences prove that Zombie is learning his craft, as you put it, and certainly understands the medium of cinema far better now than he did when he made Ho1KC. Will his Halloween movie necessarily be good or great because of that? No...it could go either way. But I'm not ready to make judgment calls on the potential of this project based on the strengths and weaknesses of two films which told the same story. Whereas TDR was a sequel to Ho1KC, Halloween isn't going to be a sequel to TDR. It's a whole new ballgame, and I'm willing to wait for the ninth inning before deciding whether Zombie hits a home run or a foul ball.

Masked Madman
11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
I think Zombie showed great improvement as a director between Ho1KC and TDR. Ho1KC was zany, over-the-top and, at times, disorienting. In some ways, it seemed like a feature-length extention of Zombie's established style for directing music videos. TDR was a massive step, cinematically, from that humble start. TDR, despite carrying over the same story, abondoned the unbelievable, almost cartoonish, elements of Ho1KC and really stripped everything down to its gritty roots in reality. The cinematic style of the film harks back to the halcyon days of American cinema in the 1970s (currently considered by many to be the last great era in the history of American film), and drew from influences that were grounded in a dark, realistic approach, such as Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer...with touches of influence from abstract practitioners like David Lynch.

At its best, the film showcased some truly effective moments that were both disturbing and depressing in their realistic portrayal of sociopathy. The character development, particularly in the case of Sheriff Wydell, is outstanding, and all of the characters from Ho1KC benefit greatly from being portrayed in a more grounded manner this time around. Otis's transformation from the weird, strung-out, sadistic albino of the first film to a pseudo-Charlie Manson wannabe messiah in TDR is a powerful example of this. Zombie obviously learned a great about filmmaking prior to setting about crafting TDR, and it shows a vast improvement and much potential for his future career in cinema.

I don't really think it's worthwhile to compare his Halloween project, about which we still know very little, to his previous work. Many of the people who see TDR as a substantial improvement over Ho1KC (myself included) may not have been as interested in seeing TDR, and might not have given it a chance, had we pre-judged it based upon the quality of the previous film. And really, pre-judging TDR would have been more sensible, considering the fact that it is ostensibly a sequel to H01KC. As it turned out, however, TDR was very different from Ho1KC, in terms of content, style, and directorial capability. So there's really no reasonable basis for assuming that Zombie's Halloween is going to be anything like his previous films. The style and tone at this point could be anything, because the style and tone of his first two films were like night and day.

Granted, the fact that the style and tone could be anything is a double-edged sword...it could go either way. It could be fantastic, it could be dreadful, it could be completely unremarkable. But until there's more to go on, and until we can see for ourselves what the style and tone of the film are, how Zombie is approaching the film, and how much he has progressed as a filmmaker (if at all) in the interim between TDR and Halloween, I think it's unreasonable to make assumptions as to what this film is going to be like. We're all equally in the dark here...and I think we would all benefit greatly from recognizing how much we don't know about this project yet, and not making snap judgments based on someone's previous body of work.

You say that you don't like Zombie's style, but he hasn't really shown us a set style. Not yet, anyway. He's still experimenting as a director. If Ho1KC and TDR had been really similar in style, then I might be more concerned. But even then, that could simply be chalked up to the fact that one was a sequel to the other, and may, therefore, not be indicative of an overall directing style. But even those two films were very different from one another, in terms of style...even if TDR was a sequel to Ho1KC. And I think those differences prove that Zombie is learning his craft, as you put it, and certainly understands the medium of cinema far better now than he did when he made Ho1KC. Will his Halloween movie necessarily be good or great because of that? No...it could go either way. But I'm not ready to make judgment calls on the potential of this project based on the strengths and weaknesses of two films which told the same story. Whereas TDR was a sequel to Ho1KC, Halloween isn't going to be a sequel to TDR. It's a whole new ballgame, and I'm willing to wait for the ninth inning before deciding whether Zombie hits a home run or a foul ball.
Excellent post :yeah: i agree a 100% with every aspect in it.

mr32
12-09-2006, 10:57 PM
People the original will always be there, beside the franchise need a new beginning, a restart cause after H4 it just went downhill after that. This is a new start a Vol. 2 hopefully, shit i'm down wit. What can he fuck up that the other movies drove it into the ground. Yo Rob do the damn thing man, if it turns out good it will be praised, but than again someone will still hate the film and if it turn out bad it will get discuss here on the borad like all of the rest of the films. Its not a bad idea its a good idea.

Katy
12-10-2006, 07:18 AM
I would like to start by saying that i am a huge fan of Rob Zombie and Halloween is by far my favorite movie! and naturally when i heard Zombie was going to be making the new one i was extremely excited until i started hearing more about it ! In my opinion , and i am sure the opinion of many others, the character of Michael Myers works so well becuase he is a real person ! we dont know much about him and we dont need to ! He was terrifying becuase he could be anyone the viewer wanted him to be ! The entire series started to go downhill when they tried to give Michael Myers a back story ! He Lost all mystery and because far less scary ! so to make a new halloween movie thats sole purpse is to explain why Michael Myers is the way he is is complete BS!! and i then read that they are going to say that Michael was abused as a child and tortured animals. now that is a complete cliche! and just very unoriginal. Now I dont want to say that this movie is going to ruin the series becuase i dont really consider it to be a part of it ! as it souldnt be! I think if this movie were just another Rob Zombie movie without having Halloween attached to it it would be a good movie but unfortunatly it isnt!!

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I think if this movie were just another Rob Zombie movie without having Halloween attached to it it would be a good movie but unfortunatly it isnt!!
Isn't? Isn't?

Okay...I don't know why I have to say this again, but apparently I do:

STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS MOVIE IN THE PRESENT TENSE.

STOP PRETENDING IT'S ALREADY BEEN MADE.

STOP PRETENDING TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

***waiting for the next one***

Todd
12-10-2006, 03:44 PM
My feelings are that Robs movie will probably be very good.
I also feel that people are free to disagree.
I don't think we have enough information to say for sure one way or the other what the end result will be, but there's no sin in speculating a little. To either heartily endorse or dismiss the movie without having seen it makes little sense, though.

viperswat
12-11-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't really like the idea of giving us a lot of backstory on minor characters like Michael's mom and Judith. And I agree that we shouldn't know about Michael's past before he started killing, because it's not important, especially if it's as lame as the early reports indicate.

I am, however, all for the film being more about Sheriff Brackett and Dr. Loomis instead of the babysitters. Let's just hope they get some decent actors in this bizzatch.

Katy
12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Isn't? Isn't?

Okay...I don't know why I have to say this again, but apparently I do:

STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS MOVIE IN THE PRESENT TENSE.

STOP PRETENDING IT'S ALREADY BEEN MADE.

STOP PRETENDING TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

***waiting for the next one***

I never made it sound as if the movie had already been made! and no one can even pretend to know what they are talking about when referring to Zombies halloween because we know very little! all I can do is have an opinion on what i have heard so far! and i would love nothing more then to have my opinion proved wrong by getting to see an awesome halloween film!

Dr M Hatter M.D
12-12-2006, 08:09 AM
I never made it sound as if the movie had already been made! and no one can even pretend to know what they are talking about when referring to Zombies halloween because we know very little! all I can do is have an opinion on what i have heard so far! and i would love nothing more then to have my opinion proved wrong by getting to see an awesome halloween film!

You go, girl. EOTL tends to get a bit overzealous sometimes but he means well.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-12-2006, 05:36 PM
You go, girl. EOTL tends to get a bit overzealous sometimes but he means well.
I happen to maintain an even level of zealotry at all times, thank you. ;)

And actually, what occured was that the sentence in question was vague in its wording. It could have been taken one of two different ways. The "it isn't" could mean "It isn't a non-Halloween Rob Zombie film" (which is apparently what it meant), or it could mean "It isn't a good movie" (which was the interpretation that struck me first). With all the relentless negativity that's been going on, and people talking about the film in the present tense, as if it's already made, they've already seen it, and it's a steaming pile of dogshit, the cynic in me took over and grasped only the possible negative connotation of that sentence. It was only after re-reading the post that I realized another meaning was possible...and likely intended.

So I apologize, Katy. It was a simple misunderstanding. If you've seen a lot of the posts in these Zombie threads, you'll probably be able to see why I got the wrong impression from your post. All of the pre-emptive negativity really bogs the threads down and, quite frankly, gets on my nerves at a time when no one really knows anything, but so many like to make up their minds, regardless. Sorry I dragged you into that with my misreading of your post. No hard feelings, hopefully. I really don't like jumping down the throats of newer members. Talk about getting off on the wrong foot. I'm not really an asshole...I just play one on the internet. ;)

freethy
12-12-2006, 05:41 PM

In all fairness, halloween was only Carpenter's third movie also.

Just another fun fact I thought I would throw in there just to piss you off. Nothing personal, I just REALLY like pissing you off:D

mannylb88
12-13-2006, 03:58 AM

Just another fun fact I thought I would throw in there just to piss you off. Nothing personal, I just REALLY like pissing you off:D

you really can't compare the two because John Carpenter's Halloween was expected to fail in all phases. Rob Zombie on the other hand is undertaking the painstacking endeavor or retelling an already beloved film.

imagine if they had Carpenter back then attempting to retell Psycho. People would've probably not been too fond of the idea either.

but lets see if he could pull it off.

Todd
12-13-2006, 06:17 AM
you really can't compare the two because John Carpenter's Halloween was expected to fail in all phases. Rob Zombie on the other hand is undertaking the painstacking endeavor or retelling an already beloved film.

imagine if they had Carpenter back then attempting to retell Psycho. People would've probably not been too fond of the idea either.

but lets see if he could pull it off.
What about Carpenters remake of The Thing?
That wasn't exactly a bad movie, was it?
I think most would agree that it was better than the original.
I'm not saying that Zombies Halloween will be better than J.C's version, but remakes don't always suck, especially if they aren't just rehashes of the original.

Katy
12-13-2006, 09:01 AM
While some remakes dont suck most of them are completely unnecessary! Right now there are alot of remakes or reimagings becuase its whats trendy but they are getting progressively worse! mainstream american horror is crap right now .... people should spend less time deciding what bad movie they are going to needlessly redo and more time coming up with an original concept! if the original was good i say leave it alone!

mannylb88
12-13-2006, 09:14 AM
What about Carpenters remake of The Thing?
That wasn't exactly a bad movie, was it?
I think most would agree that it was better than the original.
I'm not saying that Zombies Halloween will be better than J.C's version, but remakes don't always suck, especially if they aren't just rehashes of the original.

but Howard Hawkes version wasn't at all the caliber of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. In the 80's movie making had significantly changed and there wasn't 7 sequels to The Thing. The Thing wasn't relatively known by audiences in the 80's and a remake is fathomable.

Todd
12-13-2006, 10:34 AM
but Howard Hawkes version wasn't at all the caliber of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho. In the 80's movie making had significantly changed and there wasn't 7 sequels to The Thing. The Thing wasn't relatively known by audiences in the 80's and a remake is fathomable.
The point being, a remake or reimagining doesn't have to be an inferior imitation of the original.

HALLOWEEN19:82
12-13-2006, 10:37 AM

Carpenter had real talent in my eyes, talent i don't see at all in Zombie.

I'm not saying i don't ever think Zombie will be a good director, i hope he does come good, but going off what i can judge him on (his first two movie) i see nothing to get my hopes up.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-13-2006, 11:32 AM

Though surely, Carpenter in 1978 would have done a much better job than Van Sant in 1998. ;) So we should maybe think about that, as well.

Carpenter had real talent in my eyes, talent i don't see at all in Zombie.

I'm not saying i don't ever think Zombie will be a good director, i hope he does come good, but going off what i can judge him on (his first two movie) i see nothing to get my hopes up.
Glad you used the past tense there...Carpenter had real talent. I agree.

But if I look back, Dark Star wasn't that great...and while Assault on Precinct 13 is a good movie, it doesn't necessarily portend the greatness of Halloween (which has become Carpenter's "signature film," with good reason). You seem to be judging Carpenter's talent based on Halloween and perhaps a couple of films he made subsequently. If you look at the two films he made prior to Halloween, they showed promise...but the definitive brilliance of Halloween was still a shock for which his previous work had not prepared people.

I think the same could be said of Zombie...and it could even be argued that his directorial debut was stronger than Carpenter's. While Ho1KC isn't going to top any of my cinematic lists, I'll still take it over Dark Star. So we have to make a linear comparison here. Hindsight may be 20/20, but it pollutes direct and relevant analysis of that which is current versus that which is established. Carpenter made his name with Halloween...because it was better than his two previous outings (not to mention better than most, if not all, of his subsequent films). There's no reason to assume that the same might not be true of Zombie. Subjective taste aside, Zombie's first two efforts are very competently made, showing clear directorial vision and a strong understanding of the cinematic medium...and no more can really be said for Carpenter's debut and sophomore efforts.

viperswat
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
I think a lot of directors are capable of making great movies, the question is how consistent can they be? Even in Carpenter's later years he directed some stinkers like Ghosts of Mars, Village of the Damned and Vampires. Zombie made a pretty good film with The Devil's Rejects and kind of a lame one with Ho1kC.

But I don't think it really matters which director handles this project, I don't trust Dimension with any horror franchise.

shoe1985
12-13-2006, 07:49 PM
I think a lot of directors are capable of making great movies, the question is how consistent can they be? Even in Carpenter's later years he directed some stinkers like Ghosts of Mars, Village of the Damned and Vampires. Zombie made a pretty good film with The Devil's Rejects and kind of a lame one with Ho1kC.

But I don't think it really matters which director handles this project, I don't trust Dimension with any horror franchise.

You didn't like Vampires? This was a movie I really enjoyed. I loved how it was gritty no holds barred, unlike other Vampire movies.

I thought Zombie had an ok style with DR, but Ho1kC sucked badly. I was so bored by it. DR had an ok style like I mentioned, but I honestly didn't care about any characters, and was happy when it ended. I was pumped for both movies because of what Ho1kC took to get released, and it being this kickass movie, and I didn't understand why the praise. People said how much Zombie grew for DR, and I was like how, maybe a little in style, but he has a ways to go before he could be considered good.

I also don't trust Dimension.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-13-2006, 10:20 PM
You didn't like Vampires? This was a movie I really enjoyed. I loved how it was gritty no holds barred, unlike other Vampire movies.

I thought Zombie had an ok style with DR, but Ho1kC sucked badly. I was so bored by it. DR had an ok style like I mentioned, but I honestly didn't care about any characters, and was happy when it ended. I was pumped for both movies because of what Ho1kC took to get released, and it being this kickass movie, and I didn't understand why the praise. People said how much Zombie grew for DR, and I was like how, maybe a little in style, but he has a ways to go before he could be considered good.

I also don't trust Dimension.
Vampires? Let's see, how would I describe that movie? What's the word? Oh yeah..."retarded." Honestly, there are very few instances where I have sat in a theater and seriously laid into a film MST3K-style. Vampires was one of the definitive hallmarks in that arena. Gritty? No-holds-barred? Are you joking? Because if you're serious, we must have seen different movies. I'm thinking of a movie that begins with "seasoned" vampire hunters raiding a vampires' lair...and going in one by one so that they'll be easier for the vampires to kill. I'm thinking of a movie where a priest who looks like Steven Spielberg had an opportunity to destroy the head vampire's entire plan about a half hour before the movie (mercifully) ended, but instead just kind of looked like he was going to wet himself. I'm thinking of a movie that actually gave work to the woefully untalented Daniel Baldwin. A movie that even James Woods's perpetual cool couldn't save. A movie that would have been a complete waste of $8 had I not laughed my ass off whilst a friend and I ripped it a new cinematic asshole. Which, unless I'm very much mistaken, is where the movie actually originated...before being shit out into the world like the steaming pile of excrement that it was. Hard to fathom that someone could tout that movie as "gritty" and "no-holds-barred," while saying that The Devil's Rejects was merely "okay."

But you know, we all have opinions.

leechcode5
12-13-2006, 11:38 PM
OK, I'll admit, I kinda enjoyed John Carpenter's Vampires as stupid, fun entertainment. I've seen far worse vampire movies, I liked James Woods, and in the end I was entertained. But, I do gotta agree with what EvilOnTwoLegs said above. It's no classic, and while it was kind of a fun movie, it was by no means a GOOD movie. Poor John Carpenter, he's done some films I love, and he's also done some films that were just plain silly and bad.

I know I'm just repeating myself, but I think Rob Zombie's one of the best candidates to do this movie, and I'm glad he's the one that's going to. When I first heard there was going to be a Halloween remake, my initial reaction was "ugh," because yes it's true, most remakes are just cash-in attempts and aren't really that good. But I also had a bit of hope, because really I'd already assumed a remake would be the better way to go over another bland sequel. With a remake there's a chance to mix things up without further contradicting and tarnishing the original cannon, because it's a new start. Once I scrolled down a little farther and saw the name "Rob Zombie", though, my optimism went up bigtime. I enjoyed both his previous films, and I knew if he's the one doing Halloween there's a good chance of seeing something fresh, and even if it doesn't turn out good it'll certainly be interesting to see.

Don't consider me a Rob Zombie fan though. I enjoy his music and his past films, but I was a fan of Halloween long before I was a fan of Rob. I'm a Halloween fan first.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-13-2006, 11:55 PM
I've seen far worse vampire movies
Same here. It's pretty sad. I'm really into the folklore of vampires, but virtually every vampire movie is horrible, in my opinion. They're either insipid melodramatic nonsense or slick action garbage. There are a few (very few) exceptions to this general rule...but overall, vampire movies tend to come across as overtly cheesy, when that isn't really requisite to the subject matter.

halo thirty one
12-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Same here. It's pretty sad. I'm really into the folklore of vampires, but virtually every vampire movie is horrible, in my opinion. They're either insipid melodramatic nonsense or slick action garbage. There are a few (very few) exceptions to this general rule...but overall, vampire movies tend to come across as overtly cheesy, when that isn't really requisite to the subject matter.
Near Dark kicks ass, eh?

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Near Dark kicks ass, eh?
Damn...how did you know that was one of the handful of good vampire films I was thinking of? haha Seriously. Too bad Lost Boys came out a few weeks before Near Dark did, causing it to slip right under the radar. It may be the only vampire film I've ever seen that never drops the V-word. Impressive. That and the fact that the vampires never talk about their powers. Because really, after a century plus of being immortal, one wouldn't be that impressed with one's capabilities anymore. It would just become "normal." Really, it was nicely understated. Along with a few others (like The Addiction), Near Dark really captures what a modern vampire film can be...and what very few of them actually manage to be. Definitely one of the best.