PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Dead remake not dead

NightmareMan84
07-10-2006, 11:23 PM
This from Bloody-Disgusting.com...

We were pissed, we were all pissed, when Universal announced their remake of George A Romero's classic Dawn of the Dead. In the end though, most of us horror fans ending up enjoying ourselves, so maybe when Nu Image and Millennium Films' Day of the Dead hits theaters next year we'll also be pleasantly surprised? Today we received the first casting news from a very reliable regular scooper who wishes to remain anonymous. Read on to see who will be returning to the franchise, and who will be joining him...Today Bloody-Disgusting received word from a very reliable source that Ving Rhames has been cast in the film, specifically to link the film to Uni's Dawn remake. In addition, Mira Sorvino (Mimic) will be joining him. The film will be shooting in or around Bulgaria or Romania this month. Steve Miner directs off a script by Jeffrey Reddick (Tamara).

The original follows a group of scientists and military personnel holed up in an underground bunker because the world above is overrun with zombies. The lumbering flesheaters eventually find a way in and wreak havoc on the scientists who've been experimenting on their undead brethren.

Personally, Day of the Dead is my favorite of Romero's Dead films, but I did enjoy the Dawn remake so maybe this won't be so bad. Thoughts?

Roswell
07-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Unlike the Dawn remake, this film has pretty much no chance of working out. Ving Rhames is awesome, but his casting in this film is way too gimmicky. They purposely cast him so they can link to the Dawn remake? How about actually making a sequel to that film instead of doing a stupid little link like this.

The fact that they're shooting in Bulgaria/Romania is also a bad sign. Unlike when Eli Roth shot Hostel there, this is just a sign of lazy filmmaking. Eli Roth took advantage of what Romania had to offer and went with it. He didn't try to fake that it was some place else. That's what I think the people behind this film are going to do. Film in Romania, but set it in America. It's not like when they shoot in Canada, because Canada is enough like the US in terms of how it looks that you can pull it off. Romania looks nothing like the US. Don't shoot in Romania if you're setting your film in the US.

Casting is good, but that's about it. I don't like the fact that Steve Miner is directing this. Yes, his Friday the 13th films were good, but other than that, he's made shit. Lake Placid and Halloween: H20, just to name a few. I didn't want Dawn to be remade, but they found the right guy for the job, got a great cast together, and they made a good remake. Likewise, this seems like it's going to have more in common with that horrible cash in known as Day of The Dead 2 than the Dawn remake or even the Night of The Living Dead remake.

If good word of mouth starts setting in about this, I'll probably go see it, but right now, it's on my Do Not Watch list for 2007.

NightmareMan84
07-11-2006, 06:01 AM
You make some good points. Hellraiser 8 is supposed to be set in America, but they shot in Romania and there are some scenes where you can tell it's obviously not the US. Steve Miner hasn't directed a lot of great films, but you did forget to mention House and Warlock, which are both at least decent. It really is too soon to tell if this will be any good or not, but since they say it'll start shooting this month we'll probably get more updates soon.

3pidemiC
07-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Well, I am a huge Day of the Dead fan. I am really not for any kind of remakes. But I also realize that there is nothing that I can do to stop it, and must still support it nonetheless.

Homer
07-11-2006, 08:44 AM
I wonder if they're going to release this on November 1st, as it is the Day of the Dead. I hate remakes, there isn't one I like. (I still consider The Thing to be a reimagining of the Who Goes There? short story.)

NightmareMan84
07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
They got it partly wrong. Ving Rhames is in it, but it's Mena Suvari instead of Mira Sorvino. Not that I think she's a bad actress, but I would prefer Mira over her to be in the film. Oh well.

atomic dog
07-13-2006, 07:04 AM
well this the info i got:

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movies/dayofthedead.php

looks like ving might be playing bub. i wonder if they will try to link this to the dawn remake?

Roswell
07-13-2006, 10:34 AM
well this the info i got:

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movies/dayofthedead.php

looks like ving might be playing bub. i wonder if they will try to link this to the dawn remake?

Oh jeez. Rhames as Bub? That would never work. If he's going to be in this, he needs to play the kind of character he did in Dawn.

MMyers89
07-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Anybody else see Nick Cannon in the cast list on the upcoming horror movies link..

That just horrifies me.

atomic dog
07-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Anybody else see Nick Cannon in the cast list on the upcoming horror movies link..

That just horrifies me.
let's hope nick gets nixed.

MMyers89
07-16-2006, 04:23 PM
let's hope nick gets nixed.

or hope it is all rumors and speculation, and he is never attatched in the first place.

NightmareMan84
07-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Another article at Bloody-Disgusting says that Ving Rhames will not be playing his character from the Dawn remake, but will take over the role of Rhodes. Mena Suvari will play Sarah. The choice of casting Rhames as Rhodes is ok by me, but I don't know about the new Sarah. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

NeewollaH
07-19-2006, 08:29 PM
What the fuck? Ving Rhames as Rhodes? I want to play fucking Rhodes! Marselis Wallace is not playing Rhodes!

atomic dog
07-20-2006, 03:00 AM
why couldn't ving play the helio pilot?

HiddenDragon
07-20-2006, 07:26 AM

That just horrifies me.

That's not a good sign. His movies usually suck big time.

Saw Is Family
07-20-2006, 09:03 PM
I actually haven't seen any of these movies. I was at the video store the other day wondering whitch film I should start with. I'm not much for remakes, but in some cases they come out decent. The only thing that can really be done, would be to give it a chance.

MMyers89
07-20-2006, 09:23 PM
I actually haven't seen any of these movies. I was at the video store the other day wondering whitch film I should start with.

Start with the original Night of the Living Dead from 1968 of course.

Saw Is Family
07-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Alright, they made a remake of that too didnt they?

MMyers89
07-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Alright, they made a remake of that too didnt they?

Yeah, and it's actually quite good.

ASH PLISKIN
07-22-2006, 12:30 PM
personaly It dosent bother me there going to remake this movie.
I kind of give the dead films a free pass on the remakes,seeing how they pulled one off in the early 90's before the big remake craze.there's so many george romero zombie rip off movies,that when they remake,Night or Dawn or even Day of the Dead,it feels more like a tribute to george and zombie films instead of a slap in the face.

Clark Kent
07-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Start with the original Night of the Living Dead from 1968 of course.
Then Day, Dawn, Night, then the remake of Dawn.

MMyers89
07-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Then Day, Dawn, Night, then the remake of Dawn.

more like, Dawn, Day, Land

then Night remake, then Dawn remake.

Clark Kent
07-24-2006, 12:04 PM
more like, Dawn, Day, Land

then Night remake, then Dawn remake.
I stick with what I said. Dawn is a great film but I always found Day to be better.

MMyers89
07-24-2006, 12:08 PM
But you gotta watch em in order, duuuuude.

Clark Kent
07-24-2006, 12:09 PM
But you gotta watch em in order, duuuuude.
Well, true. But it's always good to watch the good movies first and bad ones last. Wait, nevermind reverse that.

MMyers89
07-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Nope, it's just good to watch them in order. It makes sense.

Clark Kent
07-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Nope, it's just good to watch them in order. It makes sense.
I'm not really sure that those movies are made to make sense. They're just 'dead' movies.

MMyers89
07-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Now that made no sense. It's a series. While each movie has nothing to do with the last, it is still a progression of the zombie outbreak story. Not watching them in order on your first viewing would be weird.

Homer
07-24-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm not really sure that those movies are made to make sense. They're just 'dead' movies.

Actually they do.

Night begins the whole break out, introducing the zombies and finding out who they are.
Dawn shows how the humans deal with the zombies, and how they're going to survive in fear and isolation from every day things.
Day shows how humans will eventually try to start another civilization that will rise against the dead.
Land is post-Reconstruction.

NightmareMan84
08-17-2006, 07:22 AM
There are three pix over at www.gorezone.net. Go to the site and scroll down a little. It's not much, but it's something.

MMyers89
08-20-2006, 01:31 PM
So, since Ving Rhames is back, but not in the same role, are we to assume that this is a sequel to the Dawn remake? Is it in the same movie universe? Or is it a stand alone movie, possibly meaning slow moving zombies? Anyone have any info, or know where I can get any info on this?

MichaelMyers
08-20-2006, 02:38 PM
So, since Ving Rhames is back, but not in the same role, are we to assume that this is a sequel to the Dawn remake? Is it in the same movie universe? Or is it a stand alone movie, possibly meaning slow moving zombies? Anyone have any info, or know where I can get any info on this?
I read that they cast Rhames to specifically link this to the Dawn remake but I don't know how considering he doesn't play the same role he did in Dawn.

Turd Ferguson
08-20-2006, 02:56 PM
alright, to settle it, Ving Rhames will NOT play Bub. Proof here: as you can see from his name tag, Rhames will play the asshole RHODES

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/userpics//DayOfTheDead06-Set03.jpg

also here is a pic of what a zombie will look like in the film:
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/userpics//DayOfTheDead06-Set01.jpg
and
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie-gallery/albums/userpics//DayOfTheDead06-Set02.jpg

MMyers89
08-20-2006, 04:01 PM
So, this is more of a direct remake, then. The Dawn remake had NONE of the original characters in it. So, could this be a more NOTLD style remake, sticking to the original formula? Is it a sequel to Dawn? Slow zombies?

Rabbit in Red
08-21-2006, 02:01 PM
From what I got from the reports, this remake is a stand alone movie. No connection to Dawn or Night remakes. It would seem that they are using most if not all of the original characters from the '85 version. Whether the zombies are fast or slow is anyone's guess.

Reason for Ving taking the role even though its no connection to Dawn? Answer: Ving Rhames is a Cool Mother F***er.

MMyers89
08-21-2006, 02:15 PM
From what I got from the reports, this remake is a stand alone movie. No connection to Dawn or Night remakes. It would seem that they are using most if not all of the original characters from the '85 version. Whether the zombies are fast or slow is anyone's guess.

Reason for Ving taking the role even though its no connection to Dawn? Answer: Ving Rhames is a Cool Mother F***er.

Thats cool to hear. As much as I like the Dawn remake, something about it, and the fast zombies, just rub me the wrong way. A stand alone Day remake, with slow zombies would be pretty kickass. Lets just hope.

Ving Rhames is a Bad Ass Mofo, and I think him playing Rhodes is cool.

ITSMEBILLY
08-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Now we just need a Land of the Dead remake...

boogeyman87
08-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Looks like Bud (not Bub) will be played by Stark Sands. Possible spoilers ahead.

Taken from his website,

Time for a long-overdue update. I have some exciting news, that I have been biting my tongue about to stay on the safe side.

I recently arrived in Bulgaria to shoot a horror film called Day of the Dead. It is a remake of a classic film by the master of the genre, George Romero. I was offered the role weeks ago, but I decided to keep it to myself until I actually started shooting, because I have already experienced what its like to have a film fall apart a day before it begins. Not this time, though. So here I am in BULGARIA. What?!

This is a weird place. It's unlike any country I've ever been to, because they have a different alphabet than most of the world. Looks like Russian, if you've ever seen it. So I can't read anything, and I can't phonetically spell anything, either, which is a first. Getting around on my own without a driver would be a nightmare, also because Bulgarians don't have to pass a driving test to get a license. Just got to fork over some cash, and you are an official driver. It makes for some pretty harrowing situations in the cabs. They also don't believe in seatbelts. Don't get me started on that.

The film is a typical zombie movie-- virus infects town, people start biting each other, virus spreads by the bites, and a handful of survivors try to make it out of town alive. In this one, the military is brought in to enforce a quarantine on the small town of Leadville, CO, because of the mysterious virus. Once they realize the virus eventually makes people start ravenously attacking each other, it's too late... EXCEPT for a few. The principal characters are Sarah Cross (Mena Suvari)-- a tough young army corporal; Salazar (Nick Cannon)-- a sharp tongued army badass; Bud Crain (me)-- a freshly scrubbed young private seeing his first real action; their Captain Rhodes (Ving Rhames); and Sarah's younger brother and his girlfriend (Michael Welch & Annalynne McCord). I have a fantastic part in this one. I am a nervous, vegetarian private who is sweet on Mena's character from the beginning. I've never seen combat before, but as soon as people start changing I get to kick some serious zombie ass. About halfway through the film, I am bitten on the wrist, and after pouring bleach on the wound in an attempt to clean it, Mena handcuffs me to the backseat of the Hummer we are traveling in, in case I change. When she and Nick return from the gun store they are looting, I have become a zombie, but they notice that I'm not trying to eat them (I have the distinction of being the first ever vegetarian zombie), so they keep me around. I also seem to retain some of my former self, so if I start to wander off they just bark some military orders at me (Atten-HUT, about-FACE, etc) and I do a zombie version of the order. Without giving too much away, I end up saving the day at the end of the film, so I am loving this job. Wait till you see the zombie make-up they have me in, it's amazing. Our make-up team just came off of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3. They are phenomenal.

So I will be here in Sofia, Bulgaria, for 6 weeks, working pretty much every day. We are 10 hours ahead of LA time here, so the jet lag was pretty rough. Everyone has been great to work with, we are all getting along well. I just got back from golfing with Nick, his friend Kase, and the director Steve Miner. I'm off to go watch the original Day of the Dead up in my room now, so I can see what exactly we are re-making. If anyone out there has any tips on Bulgaria, let me know. This place is pretty intimidating. I will try to get clearance to post some pics of me in zombie mode here on the site... You won't believe how good this is going to look.

Stark

MichaelMyers
08-26-2006, 06:44 AM
That should interesting to see on screen. I mean a vegetarian zombie . You don't see that everyday.

Leigh Brackett
08-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Eh. Not too keen on this. Day was vastly underrated, misunderstood and underappreciated. A remake just seems to capitlaize on the franchise name, and leave all the sociological aspects out.

Rich
08-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Eh. Not too keen on this. Day was vastly underrated, misunderstood and underappreciated. A remake just seems to capitlaize on the franchise name, and leave all the sociological aspects out.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. George's zombie flicks are so intelligent with their satire.

Roswell
08-26-2006, 08:06 PM

You just hit the nail on the head, buddy.

I loved the Dawn remake (not as much as the original, but I still loved it), but this movie to me seems like it's going to be really bad (like most Steve Miner films).

Leigh Brackett
08-27-2006, 09:41 AM
:nodsmile:

I agree as well.

Spot on about Steve miner films! :roflmao:

3pidemiC
08-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Actually, from what I hear...and a little speculation of my own, Ving Rhames will be playing Rhodes and Rhodes will turn in to the new Bub.

Roswell
08-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Actually, from what I hear...and a little speculation of my own, Ving Rhames will be playing Rhodes and Rhodes will turn in to the new Bub.
:vomit:

boogeyman87
08-28-2006, 10:39 PM

Where do you hear that from? Bud Crain played by Stark Sands will be the new "Bub". As far as I know this is all true...but hey I could be wrong for trusting bloody-disgusting.

MMyers89
08-29-2006, 02:21 PM
I don't think I would like Rhodes turning into Bub, so I hope that is just a bad rumor.

NightmareMan84
09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Fangoria posted 3 new pics here: http://fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2720

Not bad. I've seen better make-up on zombies, but still not bad at all.

Roswell
09-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Fangoria posted 3 new pics here: http://fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2720

Not bad. I've seen better make-up on zombies, but still not bad at all.

Ugh. Looks more like Day of The Dead 2 than a Day of The Dead remake (that's not good, by the way)

Turd Ferguson
09-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Screenwriter Jeffrey (FINAL DESTINATION) Reddick gave Fango a look at a zombie victim (above) and some of the ghouls themselves (below) from the DAY OF THE DEAD remake that recently wrapped in Bulgaria. “These are exclusive first pics from the film,” Reddick tells us. “I’m not counting those crappy makeup tests that found their way on-line.” Steve (HOUSE) Miner directed the new DAY, with Ving Rhames (from the 2003 DAWN remake, but playing Captain Rhodes here), Mena Suvari, Nick Cannon, Michael Welch, Annalynne McCord and Stark Sands starring; NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3D’s Dean and Starr Jones created the makeup FX. Look for Reddick’s exclusive two-art DAY journal, covering the project’s evolution and his own stint as a ghoul, on this site beginning this week. —Michael Gingold

:mecry: :confused: :confused: :confused: :vomit:

MMyers89
09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Ugh. Looks more like Day of The Dead 2 than a Day of The Dead remake (that's not good, by the way)

Oh god, you're right. Especially the 2nd pic of the zombies looking through the door.

Roswell
09-11-2006, 07:14 PM
"NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3D’s Dean and Starr Jones created the makeup FX."

Well, it definately shows.

3pidemiC
09-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Meh, it does remind me of Day 2 *shudders*........*pukes*....

We'll just have to wait and see...

NightmareMan84
09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Now that the filming has wrapped hopefully the news will start coming faster, like maybe if we're going to see the movie on the big screen or if it'll just go straight to DVD. I just really really hope this movie isn't awful. The original Day is my favorite of the series and for them to make a mediocre or poor remake would really suck. It has some good actors, a director who's worked on some decent movies, and the zombies at least don't look nearly as bad as the ones in Burial Ground or Zombie Holocaust so maybe there's some hope.

Slapshot
09-12-2006, 03:32 PM

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw them. Not good, not good at all.

xmiserysignalsx
09-24-2006, 07:21 PM
i love how on the bottom of the fangoria site about dotd, it says that wickerman (coming out soon??) and TERROR TRAIN are going to be remade. C'mon now, Terror Train?? I know Jamie Lee Curtis was in it but Hollywood is really finding ever horror film of the 70s and 80s and is remaking them. this is getting pathetic.

atomic dog
09-25-2006, 02:37 AM
i love how on the bottom of the fangoria site about dotd, it says that wickerman (coming out soon??) and TERROR TRAIN are going to be remade. C'mon now, Terror Train?? I know Jamie Lee Curtis was in it but Hollywood is really finding ever horror film of the 70s and 80s and is remaking them. this is getting pathetic.
yes this is correct, at least i think so. hollywood made tons of cash in these 2 decades on horror movies and they are trying to regain that money again now.

Roswell
10-23-2006, 12:08 PM
http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=5676

The trailer is up, and it confirms my worst fears.

atomic dog
10-23-2006, 01:15 PM
http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=5676

The trailer is up, and it confirms my worst fears.
looks like the took it down.

Slapshot
10-23-2006, 01:23 PM
looks like the took it down.

Must be. The page hasn't worked for me all day. This is the first the "Page cannot be displayed" page came up though.

boogeygirl
10-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Must be. The page hasn't worked for me all day. This is the first the "Page cannot be displayed" page came up though.
Youtube is your friend. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulvle4RT7Bk)

What the fuck happened? Dawn Of The Dead remake was mediocre at worst, but this thing looks like it came from the depths of hell to spoil the decent memories people have of the original Day... Fuck me, I aint watching that movie unless Arrow or Ebert give it over 3/4, it just seems way too awful.

Franchise
10-24-2006, 09:32 AM
I'll watch it. I made it through House of the Dead. I made it through a ton of bad movies. This has Ving Rhames and the fat guy from White Noise. You can't go wrong with those 2. Yah, the fat guy...

Slapshot
10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
The only thing this POS has to do with the orignal Day is the title and having a military presence. That's it. This is just a shitty looking zombie flick with "Day of The Dead" slapped on it.

Franchise
10-24-2006, 10:16 AM
It has Steve Miner people! C'mon.... geez.....

atomic dog
10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
i'll see it just cuz it has zombies. this movie looks like it's devoid of any other zombies movie, dawn remake in particular. which could help it but we shall see and i will post my review after the movie.

MMyers89
10-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Watched the trailer...

...looks pretty bad at this point.

Not cool.

Phatty Matty
10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
That movie looks horrible, I mean really bad. Why in the world do the zombies sound like dinosaurs?

Slapshot
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
That movie looks horrible, I mean really bad. Why in the world do the zombies sound like dinosaurs?

Because they're dead just...like the...dinosaur...s. Aw hell, there's no justification for this movie!

NightmareMan84
10-25-2006, 06:09 PM
It doesn't even look like a movie that'll be going to theatres. It'll probably go straight to the Sci-Fi channel and then DVD.

Muse
10-26-2006, 03:03 PM
The ONLY reason i will see this movie is because i'm a fan of the zombie genre.

I think it looks terrible, but, i'll still watch. I will be glad to wait for the dvd release of this...

MMyers89
10-26-2006, 03:42 PM
The ONLY reason i will see this movie is because i'm a fan of the zombie genre.

Exactly the reason I'll be seeing too. At first, this seemed to have the potential to be much better than the Dawn remake. It stuck closer to the old story, and wasn't a sequel to Dawn. I'm so dissapointed that it looks like shit. But I'll still have to see it.

discvader
11-02-2006, 12:23 PM
I watched the trailer...not impressed by...anything? I won't go see it...but I'll probably get it when it's on DVD for around $10? I like cheesy movies & I like zombie movies...just not cheesy zombie movies! :yeah:

I think your safe Mr. Romero...

mr32
12-17-2006, 01:19 PM
I didnt like Land of the dead, or House of the dead or 2. I enjoy Dawn of the dead, but i willing to check this one out. Really they just dont make zombie movies like they use to. ROTLD was a classic, NOTLD classic, (old) DOTD classic. So i'm just waitin for this one.

WickedDeath
03-06-2007, 03:54 PM
This was the only place I could find the trailer ........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYs3q4ix2o

The official site doesn't seem to be there anymore, at least not thru the link I tried to follow at IMDB.

It didn't look like a true remake of the classic, more along the lines of DOTD2 with all the hospital stuff, but it didn't look like it was going to be as horrible as UnDead. They most certainly slapped the DOTD name on it to draw people.

Khan
03-07-2007, 07:05 AM
If I actually see this, it will be on DVD and I will only rent it.

Why did they cast Nick Cannon as Salazar?

myersfan1348
03-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Beats me why they just had to cast him....... This movie looks ok but Im not too hyped for it myself.

Khan
03-09-2007, 09:42 AM
I may rent it, but I will never buy it.

DarknessBDJM
03-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Miner is a good horror director so at least they have that part down pat.

zombie commando
04-20-2007, 06:32 AM
I may rent it, but I will never buy it.

I'll probably end up buying it because I'm a fucking sucker for undead yarns.

Khan
05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32568

It sucks.

MMyers89
05-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Ugh, that sounds awful. Sounds like the recent Return of the Living Dead sequels.

WhiteZombie
05-07-2007, 06:27 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32568

It sucks.

Its not even Bud either lol, Its Bub.

Khan
05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
And Bud is a vegetarian zombie.

MMyers89
05-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Did they not consider that Bud isn't the only vegetarian person to die and become a zombie? How come it's only him that decides not to eat meat posthumously?

mr32
05-09-2007, 07:55 AM
I saw this trailer a while back, and i wasnt impress it looked like a bootleg movie. So i'm not looking forward to it.

Enda80
06-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Oddly enough, this follows the 1990 remake by 17 years, just as in the original trilogy.

Shamrock-Robot
07-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I seen something on the AICN review about the zombies climbing walls and running on the ceiling and all i can say is WTF, Im not gonna start bashing this movie before I see it but that does sound kinda lame, Hollywood today keeps taking Zombies away from their original behavior and original abilities each time a new zombie movie comes out, Pretty soon Zombies will be able to go and apply for jobs and work at walmart.

wyatt s
07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
28 days Later, was essentially a zombie film with running zombies and the running zombies in that film made sense given how they came about and what they really are. The problem is that it was a pretty big success. It was a big success and and thus it was copied by other films.

The Dawn of The Dead remake, in an attempt to do the same kind of business, basically featured the same exact zombies that appeared in 28 days, with the slight difference that they were in fact zombies and not "infected people." It didn't make sense. It became the video game movie version of zombie films (which by the way was apparently Romero's complaint about the film, he supposedly stated that he liked the first twenty minutes but felt the rest of the film felt like a video game, which is a statment I have to agree with) and though it was a decent movie it furthered the fast moving zombie epidemic which Day of The Dead has to top. It has to top what Dawn did because, despite the fact that it's being made by a completely different team of people and company and not actually being a part of the Dawn of The Dead remake continuity it's inclusion of Ving Rhames and the fact that the original was in fact a sequel of sorts to the original Dawn, it's going to be viewed by a lot of people as being a sequel.

So it only makes sense that Day of the Dead is featuring uber-zombies. But I will say this nothing about the film that I have learned so far makes me believe that it will be at all good, in fact the exact opposite. It looks absolutely terrible and the fact that apparently features a

vegetarian zombie

makes me sick.

Khan
07-14-2007, 08:09 AM
. It looks absolutely terrible and the fact that apparently features a

vegetarian zombie

makes me sick.

And he just happens to be named "Bud."

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 03:22 AM
I was hoping this would be good like the Night and Dawn remakes but from what Ive heard this is gonna be horrible.

Khan
07-23-2007, 04:25 AM
If I do watch it, I won't be paying for it.

brain eater
07-23-2007, 08:54 AM
I wish this remake was dead.

Khan
07-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Me too.

discvader
07-23-2007, 10:38 AM
lol, apparently you all saw the trailer?

Khan
07-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I saw it last year.

Nick Cannon sticks out like a sore thumb.

brain eater
07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
lol, apparently you all saw the trailer?

I was the worst pile of shit I've ever seen.

WhiteZombie
07-23-2007, 08:55 PM
The trailer looks lamee. Running zombies are not NEARLY as cool as walking. This is hardly a remake, but a different movie. But Im not going to lie..I love Zombies. I'll be seeing it.

wyatt s
07-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Oh I'll be seeing it. I'm just fairly sure I'll hate it, and probably end up bitching about how it has nothing to do with the original at all.

WhiteZombie
07-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh I'll be seeing it. I'm just fairly sure I'll hate it, and probably end up bitching about how it has nothing to do with the original at all.

Exacly. But there is the SLIGHT chance...It will be sloghtly enjoyable. I hope.

I mean come on. "Its a bad day to be a Zombie". Lamee

wyatt s
07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I concider myself a huge zombie movie fan, usually I can put myself through the worst of them just to see the gore sequences. However, if this film truly is as bad as I think it might be...It may well be the first zombie feature I've walked out on and/or stopped watching before the end since...Day of The Dead 2 actually.

WhiteZombie
07-23-2007, 09:09 PM
I concider myself a huge zombie movie fan, usually I can put myself through the worst of them just to see the gore sequences. However, if this film truly is as bad as I think it might be...It may well be the first zombie feature I've walked out on and/or stopped watching before the end since...Day of The Dead 2 actually.

I've never actually walked out of anything. I'd rather waste my money and at least finish...then waste it and not finish it. I honestly have lowww expectations for this movie...So I problably wont be dissapointed. Im just angry about the running Zombies. They should be slow...

wyatt s
07-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I've never actually walked out of anything. I'd rather waste my money and at least finish...then waste it and not finish it.

I have to admit to walking out of many a film. If I really, really don't like a film, I won't give it the satisfaction of being watched.

I honestly have lowww expectations for this movie...So I problably wont be dissapointed. Im just angry about the running Zombies. They should be slow...

I have no problem with them running, it can be done well. We've seen it work. I have a problem with them seeming to be super-uber zombie.

WhiteZombie
07-23-2007, 09:25 PM
I have to admit to walking out of many a film. If I really, really don't like a film, I won't give it the satisfaction of being watched.

Yeah they do get pretty pissed when you leave eh.:bastard:

I have no problem with them running, it can be done well. We've seen it work. I have a problem with them seeming to be super-uber zombie.

Yeah running can be done well...But then to me there not really zombies. There more like monsters. TRUE, zombies....besides Voodoo and such, which is another issue...Is the empty headed, staggering, moaning, rotting corpse. Seeing them sprint at people (although it is cool, and good for suspense), and roar...Is just another ballpark.

wyatt s
07-23-2007, 09:30 PM
Yeah they do get pretty pissed when you leave eh.:bastard:

I like to think they do actually. It makes me feel warm inside.

Yeah running can be done well...But then to me there not really zombies. There more like monsters. TRUE, zombies....besides Voodoo and such, which is another issue...Is the empty headed, staggering, moaning, rotting corpse. Seeing them sprint at people (although it is cool, and good for suspense), and roar...Is just another ballpark.

I agree. That is really what "zombie" means to me. Running zombie really is just a monster movie as you say, but it can work. I can enjoy it. I want to say though, roaring zombies, that down right pisses me off.

WhiteZombie
07-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I like to think they do actually. It makes me feel warm inside..

:roflmao:

I agree. That is really what "zombie" means to me. Running zombie really is just a monster movie as you say, but it can work. I can enjoy it. I want to say though, roaring zombies, that down right pisses me off.

Yeah, good. Glad we have come to a nice little agreement here. That makes me warm.:drool:

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Running Zombies dont bother me too bad, But what I really do hate is talking zombies.

wyatt s
07-23-2007, 11:16 PM
I think they have those in Day of The Dead 2

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 11:37 PM
I think they have those in Day of The Dead 2

I wouldnt know because Ive decided to stay away from that movie.

Khan
07-24-2007, 04:00 AM
This movie has a vegetarian zombie.

Shamrock-Robot
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Is this Zombie being called Bub or Bud?

WhiteZombie
07-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Running Zombies dont bother me too bad, But what I really do hate is talking zombies.

Yeah, Although it works in Return of the Living Dead. But thats because thats movies just compleate 100% awesome zombie cheese.

Khan
07-25-2007, 05:06 AM
Brainsssss!!!!

WhiteZombie
07-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Brainsssss!!!!

More Brains!!!!!

wyatt s
07-25-2007, 07:55 PM
More Brains!!!!!

I say, coul you quite possibly pass me the gray matter...And the salt if you would please. Thank you.

Shamrock-Robot
07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
It wasnt bad in ROTLD because that wasnt really a serious film, It was just meant to be cheesey and fun, But talking zombies in serious films are just awful.

Khan
07-26-2007, 05:51 AM
It wasnt bad in ROTLD because that wasnt really a serious film, It was just meant to be cheesey and fun, But talking zombies in serious films are just awful.

There were talking zombies in Day Of The Dead 2: Craptagium.

Shamrock-Robot
07-26-2007, 09:29 PM
I wouldnt know Ive decided to stay away from that one, I might watch it if it comes on Sci-fi and I have nothing better to do or something.

Psych0ticNemes1s
09-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing another Romero film. Land was blah but the Dawn remake scared me. :)

Khan
09-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Romero's Diary Of The Dead was just picked up by the Weinsteins.

It was a totally independent production, so George got to do what he wanted.

Asprin
09-14-2007, 12:50 PM
So was this movie ever released? cause the trailer said april of 07 and I haven't heard much about it besides the bitching about how bad the movie will be. I agree, it looks suck-ass but will it still be coming out?

Khan
09-14-2007, 01:23 PM
There were apparently massive reshoots done recently.

wyatt s
09-14-2007, 04:21 PM
There were apparently massive reshoots done recently.

Concerning the way this film looks and the things I've heard and read, that might not be a bad thing

Khan
12-30-2007, 07:45 PM
According to B-D, this will be skipping theaters and going straight to DVD.

It says a lot about how much confidence the makers have in it.

OmegaRex
12-30-2007, 08:02 PM

Apparently even reshoots couldn’t fix it.

wyatt s
12-30-2007, 08:21 PM

Good, I hope that's true. It going straight to DVD means that I don't actually have to think about it as any type of legitimate attempt at a remake of the film. I can just think about it as straight to DVD trash instead.

Psych0ticNemes1s
01-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, I still hope it is worth viewing.

boogeyman87
01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
It should be hitting the stores on April 8. Here's the cover.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2876/dayofthedeaddvdtg1.jpg

:D

Khan
01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
What the heck is that cover supposed to be?

I smell another DOTD 2: Craptagium.

wyatt s
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM

sigh...I think a part of my brain just exploded...

What the heck is that cover supposed to be?

I...I...I don't know...It looks like the zombi-thingy is puking. Projectile Vomiting to be more precise.

OmegaRex
01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
It should be hitting the stores on April 8. Here's the cover.

This is why zombies shouldn't drink (and the people who design their DVD covers should lay off the hooch too) :bigeyes:

wyatt s
01-02-2008, 09:10 PM
hahaha. Oh poor, poor hung-over zombie.

OmegaRex
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Heh. Wonder if there is a 12 step program for zombies? That thing has SciFi Pictures Original written all over it.

atomic dog
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
so is this a dtv? and is there a date for it?

Khan
01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah, it has been dumped onto Blockbuster shelves

Severed
01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it has been dumped onto Blockbuster shelved.

It comes out some time last month.

Last month or next month?

The cover looks awfull. What the hell have they done to Day of the Dead?

Khan
01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Sorry, typo.

There is apparently nothing left of the original but a few character names.

I will stick to Romero's vision. :nodsmile:

boogeyman87
01-03-2008, 04:02 PM
so is this a dtv? and is there a date for it?

Yes; April 8th to be exact.

atomic dog
01-03-2008, 05:51 PM
thanks and noted. i guess i'll have to wait for the rental. from the beginning of the first notice we all knew this wouldn't be good. and now this just seals the deal.

Mr. Bruce
01-04-2008, 01:38 AM
It would be nice if they made Day of the Dead like how they where supposed to with having a big complex on the top and everything but ehhh all well.

wyatt s
01-04-2008, 03:36 AM
It would be nice if they made Day of the Dead like how they where supposed to with having a big complex on the top and everything but ehhh all well.

You mean if they had taken the original script that Romero wrote, the "Gone With The Wind with Zombies" script, and used it to make the remake of Day? Now that's an idea I could definately have gotten behind. It certainly would have been interesting to see them use Romero's original original vision, turned into a film.

Khan
01-04-2008, 04:00 AM
I have the original, unused script for Day of The Dead, and it is really good.

Severed
01-04-2008, 04:17 AM
You mean if they had taken the original script that Romero wrote, the "Gone With The Wind with Zombies" script, and used it to make the remake of Day? Now that's an idea I could definately have gotten behind. It certainly would have been interesting to see them use Romero's original original vision, turned into a film.

I was hoping that's where they were going with this film.

wyatt s
01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I have the original, unused script for Day of The Dead, and it is really good.

I have it as well, and yeah it is really great. It's just got so many ideas in there that were so fresh and original...it's a shame that we'll probably never see that script put to film because I honestly believe that it could quite possibly be one of the greatest zombie movies ever.

I was hoping that's where they were going with this film.

I was kind of hoping that's what they'd do, however the minute I heard anyting about the film such as who was making it, who was directing it, blah blah blah I knew immediately that we wouldn't be getting what I wanted. It's a shame to because it really would have been a wonderful thing. To make remake of Day Of The Dead utilizing Romero's original vision...the film would have had the chance to become the next John Carpenter's The Thing, for me anyway.

myers5fan
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I like Ving Rhames and all, but to me, Captain Rhodes is Joe Pilato.

Severed
01-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Well, the trailer doesn't look horrible (But looks can de deceiving). I am sure I will check it out when it comes on DVD.

Khan
01-17-2008, 06:21 AM
I would only watch it if the rental was free.

wyatt s
01-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Well, the trailer doesn't look horrible (But looks can de deceiving). I am sure I will check it out when it comes on DVD.

I think you and I must have seen different trailers or something, because I personally thought the trailer was horrible, haha. I'm sure that eventually I'll probably end up seeing this picture, but I'm not in any kind of a rush.

Khan
01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah it looks like what it is, an insult to Romero's original.

wyatt s
01-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Even if it does turn out to be as bad as I believe it will be I won't consider it an "insult to Romero's original" simply because it seems so far removed from the original that I honestly I can't bring myself to consider it a remake at all.

Khan
01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah, the Dawn remake had the mall in common to tie to the original, while they just borrowed a few names for the characters and made a generic zombie movie for this.

But a vegetarian zombie named Bud...

wyatt s
01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, the Dawn remake had the mall in common to tie to the original, while they just borrowed a few names for the characters and made a generic zombie movie for this.

Yeah the Dawn remake managed to be it's own movie while at the same time successfully feeling like it had some kind of ties to the original film for which it was based. It was kind of like the Dawn remake kept the story and changed the character's where as the Day remake seems to have dropped the story near completely and kept the character names. If you have to remake something I don't want it to be exactly the same as the original version by any means, but it shouldn't just look like you slapped the original's title on something and called it a remake.

But a vegetarian zombie named Bud...

...that's probably one of the most offensive things ever put into a zombie flick :nodsmile:

Khan
01-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah the Dawn remake managed to be it's own movie while at the same time successfully feeling like it had some kind of ties to the original film for which it was based. It was kind of like the Dawn remake kept the story and changed the character's where as the Day remake seems to have dropped the story near completely and kept the character names. If you have to remake something I don't want it to be exactly the same as the original version by any means, but it shouldn't just look like you slapped the original's title on something and called it a remake.

I have a feeling that this will go down in history like Day Of The Dead 2: Contagium.

...that's probably one of the most offensive things ever put into a zombie flick :nodsmile:

Indeed it is.

wyatt s
01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
I have a feeling that this will go down in history like Day Of The Dead 2: Contagium.

Well, it is an effective type of horror haha

Severed
01-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I think you and I must have seen different trailers or something, because I personally thought the trailer was horrible, haha. I'm sure that eventually I'll probably end up seeing this picture, but I'm not in any kind of a rush.

Actually, you are right. I must have seen the Diary of the Dead trailer. I just watched the Day of the Dead trailer and it was nothing like the one I have seen before.

wyatt s
01-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Actually, you are right. I must have seen the Diary of the Dead trailer. I just watched the Day of the Dead trailer and it was nothing like the one I have seen before.

And to think I was just joking about having seen different trailers, haha.

If you give a brief description of what you saw I might be able to help figure what it actually was, if you want that is.

Khan
01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
(long) review from aint it cool news!

Vern sees the DAY OF THE DEAD remake. But he's not a role model. Don't make the same mistake he did.

Vern here...
Man, I try to be a nice guy. I try to be an optimist. I was ready to burn the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake at the stake, but then I saw it and it wasn't too bad. It's a hollow action movie version of the original, but it's a fun one, and it's pretty well executed. I'm not too much of a hardliner to admit that.

So if they already remade that and did okay I wasn't gonna be too up in arms about a DAY OF THE DEAD remake. And I was rooting for Steve Miner too. He's the director and I've seen people talk shit about him here, but I have a soft spot for him. He directed my two favorite FRIDAY THE 13THs (parts 2 and 3) which are fun and have a good energy to them. And he still had some of that spark when he did HALLOWEEN H20: H20 STANDS FOR HALLOWEEN TWENTY YEARS LATER. Nobody seems to like that movie, and to be honest the Michael Meyers mask looks terrible, but I think it's a pretty good movie. The ROCKY BALBOA of the HALLOWEEN series. And it has that great chase at the end, you gotta at least enjoy that. Ignore that bullshit in the next one about how Michael Meyers switched clothes with a paramedic. That's for conspiracy theorists. Anyway because of those three movies I figured if they had to do a fast running DAY OF THE DEAD then maybe Steve Miner wasn't a bad choice to do it.

Well, nope. I was wrong and the proof is called "DAY OF THE DEAD" and coming straight to DVD on a date which I will not specify because you should not watch it. And don't look it up, either. Just forget about it. The cover shows a zombie projectile vomiting a bunch of green slime and eyeballs into the air. This doesn't happen in the movie but is a good description of how you will feel watching the movie.

This movie has no good parts in it. It does not capture a single thing that's good about the original. It doesn't improve on a single weakness of the original. It doesn't add a single worthwhile new thing to the story or the genre. I'm not sure it even recycles anything good about the genre. I thought it was intended for theatrical release, but it's from DTV kings Millennium Films, and it doesn't look like many people on the set were fooling themselves. It feels DTV from beginning to end, complete with cheesy opening credits and plenty of avid farts. Every time it cuts to a new location they gotta FLASH and WHIZ and BANG and do that stupid metal-on-metal sound effect.

Listen to me: if you are a sound designer, and they ask you to do that shit, tell them to fuck off. Or quit. I know you have a family to feed, but somebody's gotta take a stand. We'll all send you some canned food. The fact is there is no circumstance where the WHOOOSH and the SSSSSHHHHHHHUNK is gonna be a cool way to go into the next scene. Somebody has got to stop this style, and you are on the front lines. Why would anybody do it? Don't you have pride in what you do? Are you an artist or are you a fucking button pusher? Are you trying to make a movie, or open a garage?

Thanks sound designers. Just my 2 cents.

The rest of you: This just isn't a good movie. It never clicks, it never pulls you in. An appreciation for the original DAY OF THE DEAD is not at all necessary to notice how much the remake fails. But it would be wrong not to acknowledge how bad these assholes blew it. Let's take a moment to remember some of the things that were great about the original, and then see how the remake, uh, re-imagines them.

A. THE OPENING. The original has a classic opening sort of like I AM LEGEND. The small band of heroes are scavenging in an abandoned city. There's an alligator crawling around. Money blows across the ground like garbage. Then they can hear an eerie moaning in the distance as a mob of zombies slowly approaches. So it immediately establishes a bleak, oppressive feeling of hopelessness, because it's a world that has been inherited by the zombies. They say there's a 400,000 to 1 ghoul-to-living ratio. It's their world, their era, that's why it's DAY OF THE DEAD. Civilization belongs to the dead. Humans are just a handful of survivors, scientists and soldiers hiding in an underground base, broadcasting messages on the CB but never getting a response.

The remake starts with teens fucking in a cabin. Because that topic really hasn't been explored enough. There's no underground base. The world is not overrun by zombies, it's an infection that is just starting to spread in this small town. So it's not the Day of the Dead. And the movie mostly takes place at night.

B. RHODES played by Joe Pilato. To me the thing that keeps the original from being as good as its predecessors is that you get sick of all these military assholes always yelling, and there is alot of overacting going on. But Joe Pilato is so good at playing a prick, maybe one of the most hatable characters I've ever seen in a film, and you still want to puke when you see the zombies tear him in half and eat his guts. ("Choke on 'em!") He's obnoxious but he's a memorable character.

In the remake "Rhodes" is Ving Rhames in a glorified cameo just to trick people into thinking this has some connection to the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake. The story never focuses on him and he dies right away and only gets one scene as a zombie. The only thing he offers to the movie at all is that he pulls out his own eye and eats it.

3. ADULTS. Remember when movies were allowed to have adults in them? I guess we live in the Day of the Twentysomethings. The original was for and about adults. The remake stars AMERICAN PIE's Mena Suvari, Nickelodeon's Nick Cannon, a guy named Stark Sands who looks like a teenager and a guy playing Mena's little brother. I know Mena Suvari is almost 30, but in the movie she still lives with her mom. She's the lead and she makes a good effort, carrying herself well, but she's much too dainty and baby-faced to come off as a Ripley. And it's hard to be tough when you always gotta make sure your bangs are covering your giant forehead.

IV. BUB. Okay, you probaly heard about this one already, but it requires as much scorn as available. Anybody who's seen DAY OF THE DEAD loves Bub, played by a guy named Howard Sherman. Bub is a zombified soldier captured and experimented on by Dr. "Frankenstein" Logan. Through some combination of training and memory he has been somewhat domesticated. He's in a collar, chained to a wall, he remembers how to salute, how to hold a book (but upside down), and how to listen to a walkman. He can pick up a gun but not correctly, he looks at it like it's a rock or a stick. The makeup and the performance are incredible, easily the best and most believable zombie character ever. He seems more like a gorilla than a man, a guy who is obviously a living being but you can't tell how conscious he is. If the eyes are the window to the soul, his windows are filthy. But he represents a faint hope for humanity because he is evidence to support the doctor's theory that the zombies can be pacified.

In the remake they have none of that. They have "Bud" (Sands) who's one of the main characters, but then he gets turned into a zombie, but he's a vegetarian so he doesn't want to eat people, so they keep him on a leash in the back of the car and don't kill him. You can't call it retarded, because the mentally disabled are innocent, they wouldn't do that shit either.

4b. Speaking of DR. LOGAN, he was a great character in the original. He actually was crazy, and his zombie experiments did seem pretty depraved and REANIMATORish. On the other hand, he was brilliant, and maybe right, and definitely one of the few making an effort to find a solution to the zombie problem instead of just giving up on civilization and getting started building a Thunderdome.

In the remake "Dr. Logan" is just the name of some prick who claims to be a doctor. He seems modelled after the asshole yuppie character in DAWN OF THE DEAD REMAKE. Yeah, great, don't emulate the movie you're supposed to be remaking - emulate the worst character in somebody else's remake. Good idea, schmucks.

FIVE. ZOMBIE CATTLE. Since the scientists are experimenting on the zombies, trying to find a solution to the problem, they go out and corral them into a big mine. It's a great idea both because of how it further dehumanizes these things that used to be people and because of the threat it creates if the zombies were to escape or if the survivors had to travel through the mine (which of course they do). And it creates conflict as the good people are disgusted watching the assholes get off on tormenting the captive zombies.

The remake has none of that. Ironically, Romero's movie was hugely scaled down from his original script because he just didn't have the budget to pull off the armies of trained zombies he had planned. Now we have this remake that's on a much smaller scale than the scaled down original.

F. THE BEST ZOMBIE EFFECTS OF ALL TIME. I mean, Greg Nicotero and friends have done some cool stuff in the newer Romero movies, and I always love the blue face paint of DAWN OF THE DEAD, and lets not forget how cool those maggot-infested fuckers were in the Fulci ZOMBI series. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that Tom Savini's work on the original DAY OF THE DEAD is the best ever. So many great looking zombies and so many disgustingly realistic gore scenes. Those things really can munch on some guts. And since they used real cow guts for alot of that stuff it's even grosser after you find out how they did it.

The makeup and effects in the remake - well, no. I mean, you've seen worse, but nobody's gonna be high-fiving each other.

To be fair, this may not be the worst Romero remake so far. I was gonna try to review that NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3-D a while back, but after watching a little bit I realized it just wasn't worth it. I didn't get much further than the "COMING 4 U BARB" text message before I bailed. And I figured nobody's gonna watch that shitty home video anyway, because that type of 3-D is crap and who wants to watch "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3-D: THE 2-D VERSION" (sold separately)?

But this stuff does kind of matter, because Romero's movies have longevity, they stick around, and have been introduced to multiple generations. And we don't want to have to explain this shit to innocent kids who are just trying to catch up on the classics. "Okay, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is great, but be sure not to get the 30th Anniversary edition, or the 3-D one, or the colorized one. The remake that's in color is okay, you can watch that, but only after you watch the original a bunch of times. DAWN OF THE DEAD go ahead and get any of the cuts, I like the theatrical but they're all good. The remake is fun but the original is required viewing. DAY OF THE DEAD, be sure not to get the one with the puking on the cover..." I mean, do we really have to further complicate this situation?

I'd have a hard time trying to think of something nice to say about this movie. I think there might've been one or two funny zombie gags. I did like when some of them were just running and crashing into a wall over and over again. Literally bouncing off the walls. But the footage was obviously sped up so it was a little zombie and a little Benny Hill. Kind of a problem.

But the main problem with this movie is that everything is bad and nothing is good. There's no scale, no originality, no good characters, no well constructed scenes, not even a good chase. Maybe it wasn't Michael Meyers who switched places with that paramedic, maybe it was Steve Miner. If that's true then the paramedic has alot to answer for. This movie is too fucking bad. Remake it - fine. But not like this.

--Vern

RoseOShannon73
01-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I'll check this one out. I liked the remakes of Night of the Living Dead and The Dawn of the Dead.

Khan
01-31-2008, 03:27 PM
I have to go with Vern on this...unless I can get a free rental.

RoseOShannon73
01-31-2008, 03:30 PM
He does make the movie sound kinda skippable hehe.

Khan
01-31-2008, 03:38 PM
He seems to really get what made the original so good, so I don't blow him off as just another critic.

Pug-a-Licious
01-31-2008, 03:44 PM
I'll be giving it a shot no matter what...can't NOT watch it :)

wyatt s
01-31-2008, 04:12 PM
He seems to really get what made the original so good, so I don't blow him off as just another critic.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. The reviewer seems to have at least a basic understanding of what was good about Romero's original classic and in fact Romero zombie movies in general so based on that, and well based on everything else as well, I think I'll be skipping this entirely. Can't see any reason to subject myself to the likes of this.

On a side note, I believe your avatar is a pissed off Wookie. You didn't let him, did you?

Khan
01-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I'm with you on this one. The reviewer seems to have at least a basic understanding of what was good about Romero's original classic and in fact Romero zombie movies in general so based on that, and well based on everything else as well, I think I'll be skipping this entirely. Can't see any reason to subject myself to the likes of this.

I don't even want to own a burned DVD of it.

On a side note, I believe your avatar is a pissed off Wookie. You didn't let him, did you?

More of a horny old wookiee then anything else.

wyatt s
01-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't even want to own a burned DVD of it.

yeah, I agree, and I'm a pretty fanatical collector of anything zombie. No matter how shitty it is I need to have it. It's almost a compulsion.

More of a horny old wookiee then anything else.

...that's not something I want to think about...