PDA

View Full Version : World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War

3pidemiC
07-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Wahoo! This may be old news to some people, but I just thought I'd make it known on these boards. Max Brooks, the author of the amazing Zombie Survival Guide, is coming out with another book. It is called World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. It is going to be a book based off different stories from survivors of the "zombie war". I don't know about you, but this sounds great! If you took the time to read my post in the "Dream Zombie Movie" thread, this is what I was referring too! Yahooo! Oh...and it also may become a movie! Yippy!

Here's Wikipedia's Info on it:

"The book will be released on September 12th, 2006 and has already been optioned by Paramount Pictures to be made into a major motion picture. The book is written in a similar style to the "historical accounts" found in the back of the Zombie Survival Guide, with the addition of having many "first hand" interviews with survivors of the great undead war. In June 2006, Brad Pitt's Plan B announced that they will be doing the film in conjunction with Paramount."

:)

zombie commando
11-14-2008, 08:27 AM
I can't believe there isn't more talk here about this book. It's a great read and really simulates a logical real world approach to dealing with the zombie epidemic in different stages.

halo thirty one
11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
This is from IMDB:

Forster To Tackle Zombie Film

14 November 2008 11:05 AM, PST

Bond director Marc Forster is eyeing up his next mission - he is to film a big screen adaptation of Max Brooks' best-selling novel World War Z.

The filmmaker pointedly turned down the chance to make a follow-up to Quantum of Solace because he wanted to concentrate on different movie genres.

And he faces a huge change in direction with World War Z - it tells the grisly tale of zombies trying to take over the world.

He will be in the director's chair while Brad Pitt takes over production duties for the film.

Forster says, "The genre always fascinated me, and when they pitched it to me, it reminded me of the paranoid conspiracy films of the '70s like All The President's Men."

zombie commando
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not sure how this would translate to screen. It's more of a pseudo-documentary, the testimonial stories in the book is from the survivors of the plague, and I don't think anyone wants another Diary of the Dead.

benluvin
11-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I heard of this book a year ago and always wanted to read it. Just never did. I may have to check this out soon.

Twisted Sister
11-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Interesting. I've seen this, but have yet to pick it up. Hey Chris, maybe they'll cast us!

zombie commando
11-17-2008, 04:55 AM
Which Chris are you talking to?

Rich
11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
The book was absolutely awesome! The movie should be that way too. I am kind of suprised that Paramount is the studio releasing it. I would have excpected a studio like Dimension Extreme or Lions Gate or even Universal to do it, but not Paramount. So Paramount is getting back into the Jason business and investing in the zombie business. I guess our cute little family film company is finally growing a set. After they release that, they had better release all the Fridays uncut because after releasing World War Z there will be no excuse.

Brimstone
08-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm hopefully going to start reading this tomorrow.

atomic dog
10-17-2009, 05:00 AM
i got this a few years back and really loved it.

Brimstone
10-17-2009, 05:44 AM
I was able to read this back in the summer along with The Zombie Survival Guide and really liked it alot.

Scarface
10-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I love this book. I hope they do a good job with the movie. I have a couple drafts of the script that are fucking badass. Really epic shit. I just hope bad CGI doesn't plague the film.

Silverpsycho
08-31-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm a little surprised this hasn't been discussed yet, considering all the news circulating around the upcoming film. The book by Max Brooks is insanely popular and now with a movie on the way, starring Brad Pitt and Bryan Cranston. That's pretty big news to zombie fans.

Here's a couple links to check out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816711/

http://www.metro.co.uk/film/873962-brad-pitt-blockbuster-world-war-z-ends-its-scottish-stint

The movie is expected in 2012 and is directed by Marc Forster.

While I certainly have interest, I must admit I purchased the book a looong time ago and have done nothing more than skim through it. Big fail right there, but I plan on getting through it fully before the movie is released.

So everyone, discuss! :)
(if a thread already exists, I'll be beyond embarrassed but I did search! :bigeyes:)

Well, holy effin' eff, I found this:
http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=8670

So mods either please close or merge this...or re-title it to say "movie." I apologize for my noob move. :rolleyes: ...derp

Brimstone
08-31-2011, 01:44 AM
I read the book a few years ago and loved it.I'm looking forward to the movie although I'm not a Pitt fan so I'm hoping he won't screw it up.

atomic dog
09-21-2011, 02:40 AM
i merged it for you, liz.

i am looking forward to this. loved the book and hoping this is a good movie.

Silverpsycho
09-25-2011, 01:56 AM
i merged it for you, liz.

i am looking forward to this. loved the book and hoping this is a good movie.
Thanks a bunch! :D

There seems to be very little news regarding this flick, but I suppose it's still early.

The worst part...I have owned this book for quite some time and still have yet to read it. I skimmed it, but that doesn't count. I'd like to have the thing read before the movie is released.

atomic dog
09-25-2011, 03:33 AM
you should start now. i read it over a month i think. there are 'short stories' in it so you can read maybe 1 story and not be lost when going to the next.

Roswell
04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Release Date Pushed Back From December To June 2013 (http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/paramount-reschedules-world-war-z-from-december-to-june-2013/)

wyatt s
04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
How long has this movie been in production now? It feels like forever.

atomic dog
04-03-2012, 02:33 AM
damn. i hope they don't move it again.

Mr. Bruce
04-03-2012, 04:02 AM
The company probably saw how impressive the movie is and wanted to make it a summer block buster.

El Rooto
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Will nobody mention that the rough cut Forster turned in was only fifty-two minutes long? That's too fucking insane to ignore.

That's like...a career annihilator.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I smell a DTV release. :bastard:

atomic dog
08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I hope not but i think i agree with you.

MeSoThorny
08-25-2012, 10:49 AM
The book is probably my favorite book ever but I gave up hoping the movie would be any good when I learned they changed the zombies to the fast, humans-infected-by-a-virus type instead of walking corpses. Not that I don't like some of the movies with that type but World War Z needs traditional Romero-esque zombies.

Thorni52
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
HcwTxRuq-uk

Yeah... I don't know about this one. Part of me is interested because Pitt doesn't seem to do too many throw away roles now days. I haven't read the Book either.

Franchise
11-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Looks awesome. I don't know why but that trailer has me pretty excited.

atomic dog
11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
I am too. Running zombies and mass hysteria!

Frazetta
11-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Looks awesome. I don't know why but that trailer has me pretty excited.It's Brad Pitt, isn't it?

And this looks fucking AWESOMSE!!!!

Thorni52
11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
I think it looks alright. I'm getting a bad I Am Legend CGI vibe from some of the shots though. I mean, apart from whatever source material there is, which I've never read, I thought I Am Legend was a pretty good flick back when it came out. This really reminds me of it.

atomic dog
11-09-2012, 03:27 AM
why do the zombies look like they are falling over each other?

wyatt s
11-09-2012, 04:22 AM
Wow...I'm sorry but that looks bad. It just looks like a chaotic mess of "stuff" happening and unconvincing CGI. Also I'm not sure...but it almost seems like in some way they're trying to hide that this is a zombie movie.

ENTERPRISE
12-05-2012, 12:50 AM
why do the zombies look like they are falling over each other?
haha I also wondered that. They look like a bunch of ants, and not to mention the CGI looks terrible.

I wonder how this is going to work? The book didn't have just one main character, so it's going to be interesting to see how they turn the focus onto one person.

atomic dog
12-05-2012, 03:23 AM
well the book had the one guy who went around the world to interview people.

ClassOf78
12-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Wow...I'm sorry but that looks bad. It just looks like a chaotic mess of "stuff" happening and unconvincing CGI. Also I'm not sure...but it almost seems like in some way they're trying to hide that this is a zombie movie.

I agree. The zombies don't even seem like zombies, they remind me of a bunch of people that took a shit-load of bathsalts who can run really fucking fast, haha. Oh well, we still have a plethora of great zombie movies as well as an ongoing zombie series in which the zombies are actually like zombies.

Khan
04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/brad-pitts-world-war-z-200-million-production-203112362.html

Wow, they spent $200 million making this movie. No horror movie needs to cost that much.

wyatt s
04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm expecting this thing to flop pretty hard. It looks awful and I don't think I've heard one good thing about it. With all the reshoots and apparent production problems, and now that apparent inflated budget, this has the makings of being a legendarily bad film.

Brimstone
04-30-2013, 02:41 PM
I hope it does flop so that someone will go back and make a real World War Z movie.

Khan
04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm expecting this thing to flop pretty hard. It looks awful and I don't think I've heard one good thing about it. With all the reshoots and apparent production problems, and now that apparent inflated budget, this has the makings of being a legendarily bad film.

It could be the Waterworld of zombie movies.

Scarface
04-30-2013, 03:58 PM
From the looks of it, that's quite an insult on Waterworld. haha.

wyatt s
04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
To be honest...I kind of hope this kills all zombie movies for a long time. I'm sick and fucking tired of zombie movies.

Franchise
04-30-2013, 05:33 PM
I'll be seeing it regardless as will a lot of Brad Pitt fans. That's bank there. I don't know how much of its budget it'll get back, but I don't see a flop.

wyatt s
04-30-2013, 05:37 PM
It's a 200 million dollar zombie movie...I don't care who's in it, it's not making that money back. Especially because I'm not sure that Brad Pitt can bring that kind of money all by himself. Seems to me the only time he's managed that is in the films in which he's not the only star, like in the Ocean's movies.

Khan
04-30-2013, 06:43 PM
There is some truth in what Mike says. It might not be huge domestically, but Brad Pitt rakes in huge numbers overseas, same with Tom Cruise.

Franchise
05-01-2013, 05:39 AM
This movie will make a big bank. People will see it. I stand by that. You can quote me on the first weekend if it's a bomb.

wyatt s
05-01-2013, 07:18 AM
I don't know...If you use the general rule of thumb for boxoffice grosses, meaning a movie has to gross twice it's budget (in this case 400 million dollars) to break even, I just don't see it happening. I'm not sure Pitt's ever had that kind of boxoffice draw. even in world wide grosses.

Franchise
05-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Look at the way they're pushing it. I'm sure he'll be on every show known to man and that's free publicity there. I'm sure it'll be a failure, but it won't be as big as you think it is.

Khan
05-01-2013, 12:52 PM
It is also PG-13, so all of the kids can go see it.

wyatt s
05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Are zombie movies particular popular with the kids these days? Half of the reason I think this is going to bomb isn't just the insanely inflated budget, but that fact that people seem to be pretty played out on zombies at this point. Sure the walking dead gets good ratings...but I'm not sure anybody really cares to go to the theater to see zombie movies at this point. Especially not really godawful looking ones.

Franchise
05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
My kid wants to see it and he's 7. He's watched The Walking Dead with me and has made it through most of the others that he's wanted to watch with the exception of the Dawn of the Dead remake. We're talking NotLD, the original Dawn, Day, and quite a few others like the 28 movies. He plays zombies with the kids here in the apartment. While he's not the target demographic for these movies, he's damn persistent and I'm sure some families will see this suspecting a drama.

halo thirty one
06-22-2013, 01:22 PM
In preparation for World War Z, IMDB came up with a list of favorite zombie movies:

http://www.imdb.com/list/mwU5zX4i5V0/?ref_=hm_ad_t2

There is one glaring admission to this list that has me really scratching my head. Sometimes people just think too much.

sreym78
06-22-2013, 01:57 PM
I thought this movie was decent. Definitely the least gory one I've ever seen. Even with some goofy parts, I was entertained throughout. Would probably give it a B.

A Dumb Question
06-22-2013, 03:29 PM
In preparation for World War Z, IMDB came up with a list of favorite zombie movies:

http://www.imdb.com/list/mwU5zX4i5V0/?ref_=hm_ad_t2

There is one glaring admission to this list that has me really scratching my head. Sometimes people just think too much.

The Crow: City of Zombies

ClassOf78
06-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Seeing this tomorrow. Going in with an open mind.

Mr. Bruce
06-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Liked it soild B for sure had more fun seeing this then Superman.

Franchise
06-22-2013, 07:49 PM
I enjoyed this one. I shut my mind off and just enjoyed the hell out of a movie.

benluvin
06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm with you guys. I really enjoyed it just as a fun zombie movie. I liked the lack of gore. It's over used in most zombie movies. The end kind of reminded me of resident evil in parts.

atomic dog
06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
I hope to see this next weekend.

SuperDave
06-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Here's our review of the film. (http://www.zekefilm.org/2013/06/21/tag-team-review-jim-and-dave-take-on-world-war-z/)

Khan
06-24-2013, 03:42 PM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=worldwarz.htm

This might not be a flop after all. It was Brad Pitt's biggest worldwide debut ever.

halo thirty one
06-25-2013, 06:27 AM
I started the book a couple of times, but never finished it. I'm definitely going to give it another try soon. At least I can watch the movie without there being any spoilers, because:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/halo31/image.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/user/halo31/media/image.jpg.html)