PDA

View Full Version : Where Should a Collector Start?

nd_adam
06-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I've been a Halloween fan for a long time but I've never been into collecting everything too much, but I'm going to start. I have all the movies on DVD except for part 2, I have it on VHS. And I have a Halloween Ressurection poster. And that's all, so what did you all start with?

scarymoviechap
06-19-2006, 02:21 AM
I started out just like you man, with VHSs and then transitioned to DVDs and then start buying all kinds of Halloween and scary movie shit. Dude, if you want collectible figures stop at every collector's shop you see. I've slowly built up my horror collection by browsing everything in those stores. Now my collection is pretty kick ass if I do say so myself. As far as a chain goes, Spencers usually has some recent Halloween stuff. "Movie Maniacs" series has some cool stuff too if you care to look them up online. Still, if you are talking purely Halloween - you just gotta look around places you know sell kick ass movies, books and collectibles. You could also do eBay, and other online trade sites if you're into that. Well those are the obvious answers but it sounds like you are at a good start so keep it up.

myers2004
06-19-2006, 05:23 AM
as I have said many times before check out every yard sale and pawn shop you see. they have some incredible deals in many of them as I have bought some of the myers books at yard sales for as cheap as 25 cents and up and some videos and masks even at them for killer prices.

MinioN
06-19-2006, 06:24 AM
Well, I started out also with VHS then DVD--then I went into autographs. They can be pretty easy to get--very cheap (since you can get them thru the mail for free and only pay for the envelopes and postage). I would then pick up anything I just thought was neat that I cam across, then lately I moved into masks (I currently have 5 Myers masks) and now posters as well (so far I have 1-6). The biggest thing in a collection tho is this: dont rely on what we tell u to collect. The true meaning of a collection is because it's personal and something that has meaning for u! More then anything, have fun with it!

nd_adam
06-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Ohh, well thanks guys. I'll be checking out the yard sales and things, and I do use ebay, I'll be looking out for stuff.

stnthmn
06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
The best time to have started would have been back in 1998. There was so much stuff available within the last 8 years that is mostly hard to find now. If you want to start collecting I would check the mall, music stores, and stores like Best Buy and see what you can find. You never know what you will find. Although with retail, your only going to find what's available right now but it's a start. I would then check out used music stores because I have had such luck with them. I found so much hard to find stuff very cheap. It's all a matter of luck though. I woudl check out as many used CD stores as possible. I would stay away from getting stuff from conventions because dealers jack up the price so much. However, you may be able to find some gems there too. A lot of people also have luck with yard sales like the poster above said. That's another option. Also, check out eBay. I know a lot of stuff is expensive but I have found so many deals there to. I recently picked up teh Halloween 2 soundtrack on cassette for $1.95 and found it on record brand new for $9.99 last year. Check daily and you will be surprised how many buy it now bargins you will find. You have to be fast though. Don't spend high prices unless it's something you really want. I've been collecting since I was very young so if there is anything you need help with finding just give me a PM. It's true that there is not too much out there right now in stores but there are so many bargins if you look in the right spots. That's half of the fun in collecting Halloween memorabilia anyway.

myers2004
06-20-2006, 05:30 AM
very well said minion on getting what you want and not what we say to get as it is the fun of it in collecting what YOU like.

SamhainxDreamz
09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I did it that way as well. I bought all the VHS's all at one time when I was a freshman in high school... then a few years later I bought all the dvds... And within the past 3 years or so I have began to collect more things. I began with the US movie posters and soundtracks and then got the novelizations... then started on to the figures and foreign posters and tshirts & such.

Cereal Killer
09-06-2006, 07:56 AM
I started with the films, posters... then the figures and whatnot when they started coming out. Masks are my favorite. Being a die-hard fan of 1&2 I just love custom made Myers masks that actually look like 1975 Don Post "Kirk" conversions.

ILoveHalloween3
09-06-2006, 08:50 PM
I started with VHS's, moved up to DVD's, to masks, to toys, to posters.

One step at a time man. Take your pick. But it takes time. There's things now, like the high-priced internet masks, that years ago I couldn't touch. Now I can get my feet wet.

Start small, build bigger and bigger.

Dark Agent
09-07-2006, 12:16 PM
I started out with VHS's and DVD's, and later ended up with the H6 P-Cut!

TheShape'78
09-10-2006, 06:51 AM
i started out w/ the original on dvd. here's the rest in the order i got them.

-halloween(dvd)
-halloween extended tv edition(dvd)
-halloween h25: 25th anniversary(dvd)
-halloween II(dvd)
-halloween 6(dvd)
-halloween 6 p-cut(dvd)
-halloween h20(dvd)
-halloween resurrection(dvd)
-halloween 4(vhs)
-halloween 5(vhs)
-halloween 6(vhs)
-halloween h20(vhs)
-halloween: the night he came home poster
-movie maniacs michael myers
-neca/reel toys 18" michael myers
-evolution of evil action figure (young myers, adult myers, judiths tombstone, and glowing pumpkin)
-halloween: 25 years of terror(dvd)

i don't know why i haven't gotten h4 and h5 on dvd yet. i got the four vhs'(h4,5,6,h20) for a buy 2 get 2 free at movie gallery. i plan on getting the rest on vhs and getting 4and5 on dvd real soon.

-mitch-

Bubba
09-10-2006, 04:55 PM
i started with masks.im selling my myers UL75 for $100

Dr. Lommis
09-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm really just into the DVD's and the soundtracks. As a matter of fact, I found the soundtracks to H4, H5 & H6 in the used bin for 99 cents a pop! So if your into getting the soundtracks, I would look in a store that sells used CD's. One man's junk is another man's gold!

The Ox
04-13-2007, 02:57 PM
any of your guys have the neca figures ? i would like to buy some of them but damm there exspencive here if so what you guys pay for yours ?

Silverpsycho
04-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Well I started off with my Blockbuster vhs copy of HalloweeN and then I managed to get some former rental vhs tapoes when a local video store went broke. After that, I of course started getting dvd copies and then my first collectible piece was the Myers doll from Spencer's that plays the HalloweeN theme music. Once I had the doll, that's when I started seeking other figures and unique diorama sets. Spencer's and Suncoast used to be my stores of choice for all that stuff but now...my locations don't get all that much HalloweeN stuff anymore.

Basically, go for what you like because all collectors are different really. Some go for scarce posters, some like autographs, some like achieving all the figures and some just like getting every dvd copy known to man. There's also the obsessed collectors who must have it all from lifesize mannequins to expensive quality masks. Unfortunately I don't have the money to get some of the way cooler Myers items so I enjoy sending away for autographs and getting newer releases on dvd of any HalloweeN films rereleased. It's really about what you enjoy collecting...there is no real correct way about how to collect. Just start off with things you find...and then go crazy if you can on Ebay. The best of luck with your collection. :)

And now I just noticed how old this thread really is, but I guess any new fan can check out what I have to say, lol.

spookyguy
04-16-2007, 07:15 PM
OMG, I had no idea this stuff was considered collectors' items. A close friend of mine was in the original Halloween and I have a movie poster signed by John Carpenter, Moustapha Akkad (the producer, now deceased), Nick Castle, Jamie Lee Curtis, P. J. Soles, and my friend, John (Michael) Graham. He played P. J. Soles' boyfriend in the movie. I remember when he got the part--it was just 3 days of work. He'll be so amazed to know that this stuff is so popular!

slipknot666
04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
I started my collection with buying the movies. My real revalation started with going to the theatre and talking to the manager and just asking him if I could have one of the posters when the movie left the theatre, he said yes, and actually asked me why the hell I would want it. That was back when H6 came out, and I told him I was a diehard fan. Ever since then, which I guess was only two movies so far, he had the posters waiting for me on the day the movies came out. I dunno must of made an impression on him. Go Michael Meyers!

slaughterhouse
05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Right on!!

thx1138
07-14-2007, 02:32 PM
One thing to remember when collecting, you need room! Your collection may start small, but eventually it will become large and require it's own space. Action figures in my opinion take up the most room. I did find a way to condense them though. I use the large rubbermaid bins, stack the figures in putting tissue paper in between so the packaging doesn't rub. Anyone else have any storage ideas?

myers2004
07-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Buy a second house just for your items. lol I know I am trying to find a house with enough rooms for us plus my collections.

Todd
07-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Is there any word on when the new necca figures will be available?
I know there is a seven inch Myers replica with him standing next to Judiths tombstone as well as an eighteen inch Myers figure that are coming out.
I'd like to know when, though. It's kind of funny how Rob Zombie dissed the fact that there are Myers figures for collection. It looks like there are going to be a whole bunch of tie-ins for his film.

njdevs03champs
07-14-2007, 08:58 PM
My collection consist of: Halloween 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, (both cuts), H20 (DVD version and Workprint edition), Halloween Resurrection and items is the Halloween Returns to Haddonfield Comic Book and the Fangoria magazine with Myers on the cover.

thx1138
07-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Is there any word on when the new necca figures will be available?
I know there is a seven inch Myers replica with him standing next to Judiths tombstone as well as an eighteen inch Myers figure that are coming out.
I'd like to know when, though. It's kind of funny how Rob Zombie dissed the fact that there are Myers figures for collection. It looks like there are going to be a whole bunch of tie-ins for his film.

Well, I am sure the he only controls the movie part. The marketing and merchandising is handled by others. If this movies make money, and I am sure it will, we will see a lot of stuff come out.

njdevs03champs
07-16-2007, 09:48 AM
One thing to remember when collecting, you need room! Your collection may start small, but eventually it will become large and require it's own space. Action figures in my opinion take up the most room. I did find a way to condense them though. I use the large rubbermaid bins, stack the figures in putting tissue paper in between so the packaging doesn't rub. Anyone else have any storage ideas?

I would collect posters as well but you bring a great point, I have no room for posters at this time. Maybe once I have stuff cleared, I will. For now, its on to getting the soundtracks.

thx1138
07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Just starting on the soundtracks myself, so far 1 and 4.

commonkid911
07-17-2007, 07:40 PM
http://www.michael-myers.net/

Look there man, that's where I started and I cannot stop now. Register and look around man. I have found some amazing replicas there. if you're into the mask thing.

TheShape'78
07-17-2007, 11:00 PM
if you're into the mask thing.

and if you are into the mask thing and you want a good looking mask for a rather low cost, go to www.boogeymanmasks.com and check out the nemesis. very good mask for such a low price (i think they are like $100-$150).

-mitch-

myerscult
07-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I started my collection with buying the movies. My real revalation started with going to the theatre and talking to the manager and just asking him if I could have one of the posters when the movie left the theatre, he said yes, and actually asked me why the hell I would want it. That was back when H6 came out, and I told him I was a diehard fan. Ever since then, which I guess was only two movies so far, he had the posters waiting for me on the day the movies came out. I dunno must of made an impression on him. Go Michael Meyers!

I'm gonna try that when Rob Zombie's comes out. Anyway, I started with the movies like other fans. Then posters, masks, and the One Good Scare comic book. I have to get a new mask because one was stolen and I cut the hair off of the other. The posters were stolen when I moved.

Cereal Killer
08-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I went tapes to DVDs, posters, then masks when the big custom boom started. I also remember getting the old Don Post MM Mask when it first came out in the early 80's. Now I collect masks when one good one comes along with all the other figures and such from NECA and whomever.

Diesel
08-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Ebay is where i started, you can get all the dvds for cheap.

Sseadoubleyou
09-29-2007, 02:05 PM
i agree

Horror Kitten
09-30-2007, 08:03 AM
It all depends on what your into. Like alot of people here are into collecting masks, I'm not. I'm a figure/statue girl myself.
Just look at different Halloween merchandise and see what your into. You don't need to collect everything out there to be considered a "fan", collect what you fall in love with.

But thats just me - others may have different opinions on the situation :)

MarioHsibling
10-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I have just recently started my collection i had H1 & H2 on VHS but my EX kept them now I have H1 thru H5 on DVD and just bought my first mask the other day but i think its a cheaper version i got at the spirit store you know the stores that open up around Halloween time every year but its cool i have seen some stuff at Hot Topics and Spencers. I guess the new RZ movie reignited my interest in Halloween it has always been my favorite holiday and my sisters birthday i guess thats why i like it so much we always had parties as kids and went trick or treating.

BuiltForTheKill
10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
You can start by buying my photos on ebay, PLEASE!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160173529926

Halloween444
10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
You can start by buying my photos on ebay, PLEASE!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160173529926

God man your Pictures Autograph collection is pretty intense if you ask me I just got into those signatures buying not too long ago so far I have Felissa rose signed sleepaway camp dvd from back in 04 and I have 3 Kane Hodder autograph since this past Saturday and finally I got the David Arquette Autograph on my Tripper tickets back when I saw the film with him at Fantasia 07 and im planning on regoing with my brother to see mr Hodder tommorow to get some more stuff since last night I won 200$ in a poker Game.

Jeanette
12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Hard to believe it now but I started out with the Blockbuster VHS tape from our Dollar Tree. Then I got H2 on vhs and H2O. Then the dvd's and now I have an entire room full. Everything from shot glasses to figures to books to posters. It has become an addiction for me.............I need a much bigger house.

I just got a cool bucket/bag from the 2000 convention in Pasadena from a relative of Mr. Joe Wolf.

Like everyone else here has said e-bay and other members is a good place to find collectables.

myers2004
12-03-2007, 02:12 PM
The best place to start your collection is by buying all the stuff I am selling. lol I can't imagine I am selling this stuff but doctor bills don't seem to be cheap so much of the collection is going.

Chaosboy
12-03-2007, 09:56 PM
The best way to start, if anyone hasn't already said, is to buy the easiest and most accesible items first and you will quickly build up the size of your budding collection. Only then would I get into the more elusive and pricey items because you will have have had a chance to get some experience and get to know who the " used car salesmen " are and who is giving you the straight up " no bullshit " talk. According to many of the Ebay salesmen; the Halloween item they have is always a " rare " item (keep in mind that rare is defined as: 1. seldom occurring or appearing, 2. valued for its scarcity ) and then you go on Ebay and see 10 of them in a row!.... an example of an extremely rare Halloween item would be ' Chaos Comics Halloween II ' #1 "blue foil Dynamic forces issue" ( they were limited to a run of 200) An example of a plentiful item that might be listed as " rare " would be Chaos Comics Halloween #1 " regular photo cover " ( they were limited to a print run of 50 billion....well not that many but a lot more than 200!! ) There is great stuff out there, and not always on Ebay, you just have to " curb your enthusiasm " sometimes and look at more than the first item you find because the very same thing may be waiting on the next page for half the price! The main thing is having fun while you hunt.....so happy hunting!!

dave626
12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah, go for the cheaper stuff, like DVDs, VHS & CDs/cassettes. Then I guess books, posters, scripts.

The next level would be figures. Then the lobby cards are pricey, and dicey, sometimes but the hardest to come by is the Atari game. Comics are as said, some rarer than others, I was just lucky to get them all when they came out but they've definitely gone up.

Jeanette
12-05-2007, 07:15 AM
It all depends on what your into. Like alot of people here are into collecting masks, I'm not. I'm a figure/statue girl myself.
Just look at different Halloween merchandise and see what your into. You don't need to collect everything out there to be considered a "fan", collect what you fall in love with.

But thats just me - others may have different opinions on the situation :)

Me too! My 18" Myers with sound is going in the coffin with me someday :winkgrin:

brianandrews
12-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I've got Scout Taylor-Comptons autograph, but she spelled my name as Terre(pronounced Tara), as in Terre Haute, the city I live in. And I've got Brian Andrews autograph, and he actually spelled my name right Lol. I'll post them sometime this week.

Something I'd recommend if you intend on getting personalized autographs on your collectables at conventions.

A celebrity may have arrived the previous night after a 10 hour one or two layover or delayed flight and only have gotten six hours of sleep(if even that) before setting up their own table.

And after five hours of signing the first night, and then waking up at seven or eight in the morning to get ready for another eight hours of signing, they may be completely and totally burned out by the time you get to them.

If your name has more than one spelling, or is a name that might have more than five letters or a name they've never heard of before or you want your last name included or the celebrity is just plain damn tired, and maybe you want it signed(for example) to Stacey, or to Stacy, or to Staci, or even to Stacee,

and just maybe it's a Halloween first printing folded one sheet and you're collecting personalized autographs on the item,

it's not a bad idea to maybe have a card(i recommend laminated) clearly printed with your name on it because if it is a collectible they may only get that one shot, and if they misspell your name........:bang: :argh:

If the celebrities tired, and I want their autograph, they still might not get it right, Is it Brian, Bryan, maybe they heard Ryan or maybe they spell it Brion.

let's say you're just getting a publicity still signed one that they're selling. Some of them may not want to tear up the old photo just because they spelled your name wrong.

Even if your name is Tim they could hear Tom (and believe me the last thing a celebrity wants to hear after signing it to you, including a quote on it and then signing their name and their character's name is "uh, you didn't spell my name right")

so it might not be a bad idea to have a card with your name clearly printed on it for anyone who wants to get personalized autographs on extremely valuable collectibles (either of personal value and something which you will never sell or of the monetary variety)

or even those of you just purchasing personalized publicity photos it might not be a bad idea to make it easier on the celebrity, who could be exhausted, and often is(though I must personally admit I get excited with every fan I meet, and I'm careful and i've been known to I screw up names)

it's probably not a bad idea to have a pre-printed card with your name clearly printed on it

Sometimes the end of or even in the middle or beginning of a long day I just can't spell, sometimes not even my own name. I know whenever a fan (the people who I love dearly) asks for an autograph, and presents me with a card preprinted with their name on it I just smile inside and maybe even on the outside grin and quietly whisper to myself "thank you".

Just to make it easier for them and quicker for the other autograph seekers behind you.

Of course this could also be the stupidest idea since new Coke and the celebrity could look at you like "does this guy think I'm some kind of illiterate idiot" it still might not be a bad idea to have one at the ready for those of us (like myself) who can easily become google eyed

And it's probably a good idea for those of you getting personalized autographs from the older celebrities to have your name clearly and distinctly printed on a laminated card

PS this is in no way a bag on Scout. These things do happen and I know this. The last thing you or I or any celebrity wants is to screw up your name especially on any item of personal or monetary value

PSS i think i remember you tera or is it tara ,but yeah i think i remember you

wildhorses1975
01-01-2008, 05:37 PM

One step at a time man. Take your pick. But it takes time. There's things now, like the high-priced internet masks, that years ago I couldn't touch. Now I can get my feet wet.

I agree with ILoveHalloween3. Start small and work your way up. I have been collecting posters for a few years now and even though I have some rarities and good ones, there are still a few that are out of my price range due to limited income, but I am always looking and eventually what you are looking for will fall into your hands at the right price.

1978 COLLECTOR
01-01-2008, 06:34 PM
This is how I collect: first organize. If there is a specific film in the series you want to collect stuff on, go for the specific film. Once you pic a film, look for collectibles. This how I organize collectibles:

-Forein Posters
-Misprint Posters (like the blu box halloween poster)
-Props
-Press Kits
-Lobby Cards
-Merchandise ads
-Books
-Figures
-Soundtrack
-Trailers/Radiospots
-DVD/VHS/BETA/HD/BLU-RAY/LD/ect

Notice that I put DVDs and other media like that at the bottom. Best chance: Anchorbay keeps on rereleasing their titles so if you are collecting a specific film, but a regular release and once you have collected almost everything, there is bound to be another re-release of a DVD and so if it is good, the waiting was worth it.

TV Spots and radio spots are also put at the end because if they are on the dvd, they are not worth barely anything. Only for compleatest only.

Also, look for bargains on the enternet. On ebay, two people were selling the same forein poster and one was selling it for $200, while the other was selling it for $90. Both were in the same condition.

The people that are most siutable for this plan are people that are still living in their parent's house (like me, because I am only 14 years old) and people that only spend on the enternet $30-$100 at a time.

Any other questions about my collecting strategy? PM me...

Samhainn
01-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I started with the movies than Masks

Crazy_Ralph
01-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, I started out also with VHS then DVD--then I went into autographs. They can be pretty easy to get--very cheap (since you can get them thru the mail for free and only pay for the envelopes and postage). I would then pick up anything I just thought was neat that I cam across, then lately I moved into masks (I currently have 5 Myers masks) and now posters as well (so far I have 1-6). The biggest thing in a collection tho is this: dont rely on what we tell u to collect. The true meaning of a collection is because it's personal and something that has meaning for u! More then anything, have fun with it!

Any advice on requesting for autographs, through mail? I am located in the middle of nowhere, so conventions are out of the picture.

missvirginia91
01-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Well, I would throw away the H:R poster :P
Nah, but seriously. I don't have much myself, simply because I don't have the room to put much. I have all the movies on VHS from H1-H20. Then I have the entire series on DVD, as well as RZH & RZH2. I have the Halloween novel by Curtis Richard's, and I have the H3 novel. I have a Halloween t-shirt which I proudly wore to the first showing of RZH. Lets see... I also have a paper craft Michael Myers. I think that's about it. You can start anywhere with your collection. Check ebay or Amazon first.

cinezombi
01-30-2010, 02:10 AM

Ain't that the truth I started out with DVD's & Vhs' then laserdisc, posters, autographs, conventions, betas, filmming locations. It's a sickness I have the Halloween collection equivalent of herpes. And now I am wanting more and more and the small priced items are like nothing to me, Halloween collectibles are like crack, don't do it man, don't start collecting. * Cinezombi says as scratching his neck and face*

Coming Soon to A&E Intervention: Halloween Collector's

Any advice on requesting for autographs, through mail? I am located in the middle of nowhere, so conventions are out of the picture.

Nice professional typed letter and SASE and wait. Some like Nick Castle and John Carpenter are fast, some take months

Kefka
01-30-2010, 02:59 AM
Nice professional typed letter and SASE and wait. Some like Nick Castle and John Carpenter are fast, some take months

I always write mine out, but hey either will work. :)

Just remember dont make it a long letter. Ive found more often than not that short letters get better (and quicker) successes than writing three or four paragraphs. Make sure you have a pic to send, just in case they dont have one.

Walton
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
One item(s) that seem to hold there value are the Halloween novelizations....if you can find them, there worth holding on to!

Michael1110
02-05-2010, 08:51 AM
ebay & horror conventions are the best spots to find everything you need.

Crazy_Ralph
02-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I will also suggest Amazon. Sometimes you can find some great deals - I collected all of the films on VHS, for 99c a piece, in good-very good condition.