PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ROTLD Film?

3pidemiC
04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Hmm, Just went through the 5(!) pages of the Zombie Films threads, and this was not there. This one goes out to Nightmareman88. :)

Of all the Return of the Living Dead films, which one is your favorite?

Personally, I chose the original. It has a very cool style to it. Although it is supposed to be somewhat of a comedy, it still can be quite scary. I remember watching this, being the first time I was introduced to the whole "running zombie" concepts. The reason why I felt this was scary in a way is because of the kind of "we're fucked" feeling that you get from a running zombies theme. A feel of no chance of survival, and quickly giving up all hope. This feel is only again really captured years later when 28 Days Later and every newbie to the zombie genre's favorite, Dawn of the Dead (2004)*. So yeah, the original ROTLD is definatly one of my favorite zombie films. Not quit up to par with Romero's flicks, but still awsome.

Then comes the sequels. Seriously, I think they're all crap. Part II is bearable, but still not very good. When they get to Part III, I just couldn't believe just how bad it actually was. Horrible plot, Stupid situations, Lame zombies....just BLEH!

Which brings me to the Direct-To-TV "sequels". Honestly, I just try to block them all out. I really could not even sit through one of them without changing the channel. I really don't consider them true sequels. Pure trash. Robot cyborg zombies!? Come on!

Alrighty then. I think we can see a pattern here. I make a cool little poll thread, and then turn my first post into a big rant. Ah well...feel free to choose your favorite and explain. Wohoo(?).

*DotD'04 is still a good film.

Nightmareman88
04-12-2006, 10:57 AM
This goes out to little me? Thats the most romantic thing I've ever heard :D

Well heres my review of the franchise.

The Return of the Living Dead.

In overall excellence, I'd say that ROTLD surpasses even Romero's masterpiece, Dawn Of The Dead. Maybe it's like comparing apples and oranges (satire does not equate to spoof), but they're both zombie flicks, and ROTLD is the best goddamned zombie flick I'll might have ever seen. The whole film just screams 80's style, wich just turns up the atmosphere in the film into the classic it has become. The 80's punk punk beats of the soundtrack is by far excellent, and seize to keep me attached throughout the entire film. The classic actor James Karen brings out most of the comical moments through his terrific and hilarious performance(in both ROTLD & ROTLD II) The black humor with an sense of slapstick humor, and yet serious level. Makes The Return of the Living Dead one of the most unique and quite orignal Zombie film out there, as it introduce a new set of elements for the Zombies, The first Zombie film ever featuring running Zombies, The hunger for Brains and damn a heck of alot other things to spread an eager of delight.

ROTLD is quite possibly the most cult classic and influential Zombie flick ever, right up there with Dawn of the Dead.

For ROTLD II, have an love/hate relationship with it. I hate its wasted potenial thought, but still one of those more sequels to outlives themself in entertaiment. I just really gives it a watch for more brains and good ol' performance by my favourites Thom Mathews and James Karen, its a pity Clu Gulager(Burt Wilson) never go the act of Doc Mandel. Clu was infact interested in that part.

As for ROTLD III? Its decent for most of it, the love story was strong yet abit overexaggerated. The mayor problem I have with Part III, is its continuty problem, no 'BRAINS' lines, not enough brain eating, and too much flesheating(wich btw makes no sense) But the biggest thing I simply couldn't stand was the Tarmans, nice to see plenty of them, but why in hell did they have hair?? And couldn't they have sticken to more original look for them. Althought I must admit, the Spanish spin cord zombie is priceless funny.

And for ROTLD 4. Now, For being an die hard fan of the original ROTLD, I must say this is one of the biggest disappointments, I have ever experienced. Zombies fightning? Zombies walking? Zombies eating flesh? Zombies dying by an blow in the head? And even by bullet wounds in their body?? This whole movie is generaly a complete discrase to the legendary ROTLD and indestructible Zombies that Dan O'Bannon created. Was the writer watching Resident Evil while he wrote this? It gets one brain from me.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/Nightmareman95/brain1.gif

I haven't seen ROTLD 5, and I doubt I'm planning to.

michael =TERROR
04-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I like the series alot but the best, the classics are rotld 1, and of course 2 I really liked 4 alot to.

NightmareMan84
04-13-2006, 07:32 PM
The first one if definately the best. I've always had a special place in my heart for part II also, and III is ok. I haven't seen 4 & 5 yet, but after reading so many negative comments and about things like they eat flesh instead of brains I'm not really looking forward to them.

Bennett Tramer
04-15-2006, 07:22 PM
i liked them all but part 2 had my favorite line in it get that damn screwdriver out of my head

Johnathon
11-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Return of the Living Dead. It was funny, but it still had a great deal of horror/terror elements in it. It's one of my favorite films. #2 just seemed more of a comedy than #1 was. Like the Michael Jackson's Thriller zombie making an appearance. I think it's second best. I'm not to fond of #3 and I never want to see #4 and #5. I think as each film went on, it lost it's element of fun and horror from the first one.

boogeyman87
11-22-2006, 11:20 AM
I enjoyed 1 and 3 the most.

Wicker Man
11-22-2006, 11:38 AM
The original by far - one of the best horror comedies of all time in my book.

I did enjoy the second one as well, but mostly for nostalgic reasons. One of my first jobs was counting people in theaters for an auditing company and ROLTD 2 was one i was assigned to. Becuase I had to sit through several showings , I must've watched it over 10 ten times the first weekend.

DarknessBDJM
11-24-2006, 06:07 PM
The original, followed by 2 then 4. The orinal just had the perfect blend of horror, punk, and black comedy elements.

zombie commando
12-10-2006, 01:04 PM
The first rocks hard.

HiddenDragon
12-10-2006, 03:03 PM
I loved the first one with the third one being almost as good to me. I tried watching the last two when they were on Sci Fi but didn't like them too much from what I saw of them.

DarthMyers
12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
The first one, hands down.

Wicker Man
12-11-2006, 08:58 AM
I loved the first one with the third one being almost as good to me. I tried watching the last two when they were on Sci Fi but didn't like them too much from what I saw of them.

Yeah, the latest two really blow.

Freddy_666
12-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I like the first!

mr32
12-17-2006, 12:55 PM
You cant no better than the first one, part two was cool. Care less about the others.

Chomp_on_this
07-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Rave from the Grave has got to be one of the biggest piles of horseshit ever created in the horror biz. Its obnoxious, its dumb, its filled to the brim with terrible acting, dialog, and incidences. And I Chomp_on_this, love this movie. Yes, I admit this movie makes my day....I don't know why either. It could be the hilarious rave premise, it could be the gore, it could be Tarman, and it could be all the lovely boobs,... but there is nothing like the experience of getting absolutely plastered to this movie. Its just an all out blast.

But no..I wouldn't recommend watching Rave from the Grave sober though...no, absolutely not.

Khan
07-22-2007, 06:36 PM
I love Part 1, can't stand Part 2 and like Part 3.

I have been warned not to see Parts 4 and 5.

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 01:57 AM
I love Part 1, can't stand Part 2 and like Part 3.

I have been warned not to see Parts 4 and 5.

Dont see them, I seen them on sci-fi a while back and they were awful.

MaDMaNMaRz
11-11-2007, 08:35 PM
The original is one of my favorite zombie films. I really like 2 and 3 as well.

I love the whole horror/punk mix of the original. The soundtrack kicked ass! 2 included a bit more comedy. I think it's a fun movie, but isn't quite as good as the original IMO.

I've seen 4, and didn't like it at all. I have yet to see 5. I've heard all negative things about it. I still want to see it, though.

mmyers78
11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Return of the Living Dead, is my favorite.

lovely_julie81
11-13-2007, 05:27 PM
I like the original, and the third was pretty good too.

Slow91
12-22-2007, 09:04 AM
The first one, its more centered towards horror than the second one. The second one annoyed me with the michael jackson part, the middle finger standing up, and the zombies driving the army jeep.

MaDMaNMaRz
01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm just happy to see that nobody voted for 4 or 5. This is good.

Chomp_on_this
01-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I'd vote for 5 if the first and second weren't a choice.

Here's the order I rank them.

1. Return of the Living Dead
2. (tie) Return of the Living Dead 2 & Return of the Living Dead 5: Rave to the Grave
4. Return of the Living Dead III
5. Return of the Living Dead 4: Necropolis

zombie commando
01-28-2008, 09:13 AM
But no..I wouldn't recommend watching Rave from the Grave sober though...no, absolutely not.
I own a lot of movies like that.

Mr. Bruce
01-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I liked the first one cause Tina running around nude was fresh.

Chomp_on_this
01-29-2008, 05:09 AM
You mean Trash, right?

Khan
01-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Linnea Quigley!

spindrift68
01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
I like #2 the best.

"Get the damn screwdriver out of my head!"

Twisted Sister
09-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I didn't make myself suffer through Necropolis & Rave From the Grave. The Zombie genre is wearing thin with me (overkill). I liked Return of the Living Dead (especially the music!). Part two was entertaining, but the whole Michael Jackson zombie just went from not so serious to ridiculous. But that's what they wanted. Part three, I really liked it. Julie was one cool zombie :)

MaDMaNMaRz
09-03-2008, 11:25 PM
The original is definitely my favorite. The characters were great, and memorable. Tarman kicks ass too. Part II is really good too, I think. If they had toned down the comedy a bit, I MIGHT have actually liked it alittle better than the original. Part II had great atmosphere, and I loved the locations.

spindrift68
09-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Gee, no one's voted for Necropolis or Rave From the Grave, what a shame. :laugh:

My vote goes to Return of the Living Dead Part: II.

HTrooper
09-05-2008, 12:57 AM
The original was the best, hands down.

Part 2 doesn't fall short of the glory though, just they decided to nudge the comedy aspect more than less. I always hoped to see more living dead in the town area, but at least they explained that.

3- small budget killed it. You gotta love a female zombie who takes pleasure in hurting herself, or do you? Confused...me too!

4-Kee-rapp!

5-My, my, my...I hope they learned their lesson on making Sh*tfests back to back, and never attempt to do it again!

Twisted Sister
09-12-2008, 11:38 AM
I didn't even bother with 4&5...just looking at the titles.

Khan
09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
"Sci-fi original" is all you need to hear.

FTL
09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
It's not a bad question, Burt!

The original, by far.

Torgo
09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Return of the Living Dead, easily.

Great soundtrack too!

HTrooper
09-13-2008, 06:00 AM
That was a good soundtrack.

Twisted Sister
09-16-2008, 08:24 AM
I like Take a Walk by the Tall Boys on that one, and burn the flames. I was just realizing how many good funny lines were in that movie.

oltrelamorte
10-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Easily the first ROTLD. It's in my top five movies of all-time ranked at #5. I like ROTLD 2 quite a bit as well as ROTLD 3 but they just aren't on par with the first. 4 & 5 were utter crap but I want to rewatch them again one of these days.

The Frightmaster
10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I've only seen Parts 1 and 2. And out of those two I'd say that the first one is my favorite. But I also really enjoyed the 2nd one. :nodsmile:

blacksymbiote
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I liked Part II the best overall. The original was a good movie but I didn't care about any of the characters except maybe Clu Gulager. I didn't care for 3 much. Part 4 was okay but then got brought down by part 5.
I would cut down on the comedy in part II and maybe not establish a definitive way to beat the zombies.

My Dear Michael
03-15-2013, 01:08 PM
I adore the first Return of the Living Dead along with Parts 2 and 3!!! :nodsmile: I have absolutely no intention of watching 4 and 5!!! :nono:

blacksymbiote
03-15-2013, 04:43 PM
4 was actually pretty okay; now 5 is complete crap, there's no getting around that.

MyersCult81
03-20-2013, 12:00 PM
I never cared too much for the franchise. A little too comical for my taste. I did enjoy part 3 though with the bad ass zombie chick with all the glass in her face. Actually there was a genuine interesting relationship there. Even though she was dead, it felt like they still had a love for each other. That's one of things I liked about it as well as some really sick gore effects. Wasn't there one called "Rave to the Grave"? Ha, ha.

blacksymbiote
03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah, unsurprisingly it's the worst one.

Pug-a-Licious
10-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I accidentally voted for the second one.. oh well! The first one is by far my favorite of the series, and my boys and I watch it pretty regular :)

ClassOf78
10-27-2013, 04:38 AM
The first and third are the only one's I care about, and the original is clearly the best.