PDA

View Full Version : eBay's CONFUSING "Stock Photo" Option

Myers63
03-09-2006, 10:17 PM
With eBay's confusing "Stock Photo" option....who knows WHAT they'll get? :(

Yeah, it's easier for seller's to enter their UPC codes and an automatically generated "stock photo" appears in their listing--complete with any positive critical reviews a particular movie has earned.

The Loophole? Laziness! With this feature, there's far too much levy on the seller's behalf to simply enter a UPC from another member's auction. Worse yet, they don't even have to enter any description text!

The drawback? Completist collector's, such as the many we have here, are certainly looking for a certain release year---unfortunately, the '89 Media UPC,'95 BlockBuster UPC, and the '97 Anchor Bay UPC's ALL act and an umbrella for ALL releases from each respective company. In fact, I've seen ALL these mis-matched UPC's applied to many an auction.

The rememedy to this is simple: eBay should enforce a rule that if a UPC is entered, that an original *actual* photo of the said item should be uploaded for the auction. After all, the first photo is FREE and that one photo could end the confusion revolving around their generic "stock photo" option.

DAMN...it was easier in the early days--even without photos to sell an item.

larry-new
03-10-2006, 02:27 AM
I have had the same problem as well. A better source of old VHS tapes are the Amazon.com marketplace sellers..................Larry

MrTaft
03-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Yep, I agree. Makes finding a nice '79 Media tape hell for us collectors. Stupid, stupid eBay.

MyersFan927
03-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Stock photos have always pissed me off. Like you said, you don't know what you're getting. What I like to do is contact the seller ahead of time and ask him/her to look at the year on the cassette. Sometimes I don't even bother and skip the auction because it goes out of my way. Scans and pictures are greatly appreicated. Stock photos are aggravating.

H-Field Hero
03-10-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't shop ebay for halloween VHS's anymore, but when I did I hated the stock photo. You would then have to message the seller asking for the date of the VHS then they would more often than not reply with the date in which the film came out. Josh, I know you know what i'm talking about :p.

Even if I wasn't a collector looking for a particular edition of a halloween film on VHS, I would still want to see the actual product in which I was bidding on.