PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps The Most Pivotal Moment For Myers Mask Collectors.....

Myers63
03-07-2006, 09:54 PM
....a chance to convert an authenticly detailed mask into the Shape himself.

I remember this like it was yesterday.

If only I would've had the foresite to buy 30 of these puppies for $100 each.

No need to go into much detail here in the text box, the attatchment says it all!

Franchise
03-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Wow. That's damn cool.

MrTaft
03-08-2006, 02:59 AM
Yeah, that would have been ace. To quote Cher, "If I could turn back time...!" :p:(

freethy
03-08-2006, 05:07 AM
That's pretty cool. So that's what the mask looked like before it was modified. I have always wondered what it would look like.

Nice stuff, Josh:cool:

myers2004
03-08-2006, 06:34 AM
very nice to see what they were using. and i wish i could turn back time cause i certainly would have bought a bunch also and alot of other things if i had realized how much some of this stuff would cost to get now.

Nils
03-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Well, most people on here probably know what a mask buff I am and I must say that the masks they produced back in 1999 really didn't look like the good old 75 Kirk. Not even the picture comes close...the haircolour is totally not like on the 1975 Kirk and also the subtle details do not match really well. This might seem pretty authentic-looking to most people, but after being in the mask business for about 6 years you can tell that this mask didn't even come close to a real 1975 Kirk mask. There are better replicas out there like the Stardate78 by Terry Lambert. He produced only 20 of which I own one. :)

MyersFan927
03-08-2006, 10:24 AM
That's true. I heard complaints that when people transferred the 1999 mask in the same way TLW did for Halloween, the Myers result was kind of disappointing. So Nils is right, the mask doesn't come close enough to the 1975 Kirk. Still, the '99 would make a nice collector's item anyway.

Nils, I didn't know about that mask! Now that is a spitting image of someone's actual Kirk - I forget his name. You're lucky to have one of those. Does the latex stretch like the '75 Kirk, or is it made out of tougher material such as modern day masks (which I dislike).

Nils
03-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by MyersFan927
That's true. I heard complaints that when people transferred the 1999 mask in the same way TLW did for Halloween, the Myers result was kind of disappointing. So Nils is right, the mask doesn't come close enough to the 1975 Kirk. Still, the '99 would make a nice collector's item anyway.

Nils, I didn't know about that mask! Now that is a spitting image of someone's actual Kirk - I forget his name. You're lucky to have one of those. Does the latex stretch like the '75 Kirk, or is it made out of tougher material such as modern day masks (which I dislike).

The mask is not at my house currently, but the latex is very soft...it is an actual claypress of a Kirk and is not mass produced but done by a special effects artist. Very high quality. You can't come closer to a 1975 Kirk than with a Stardate78. :)

Myers63
03-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Nils
Well, most people on here probably know what a mask buff I am and I must say that the masks they produced back in 1999 really didn't look like the good old 75 Kirk. Not even the picture comes close...the haircolour is totally not like on the 1975 Kirk and also the subtle details do not match really well. This might seem pretty authentic-looking to most people, but after being in the mask business for about 6 years you can tell that this mask didn't even come close to a real 1975 Kirk mask. There are better replicas out there like the Stardate78 by Terry Lambert. He produced only 20 of which I own one. :)

I agree, Nils :) The '99 Shats weren't perfect renditions of the old '75 Kirk...but they made for a better-than-average Myers mask conversion from a mass produced source(especially when comparing them to "The Mask" conversions). The $100 version brought about much better facial details than the cheaper $40 verions--and the pours were better too.

I love Stardate78! I almost bought one during the run...and I'm kicking myself for not jumping at the opportunity.

MyersFan75
03-08-2006, 04:43 PM
At first I thought you meant that DP was going to rerelease original pulls from a 75 mold or something...

I damn near shat myself.

And I love the Stardate, Nils.

MrTaft
03-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Nils
There are better replicas out there like the Stardate78 by Terry Lambert. He produced only 20 of which I own one.

Mr. Shatner is looking well there. :D

myers2004
03-09-2006, 06:48 AM
very nice mask there nils and incredible how much it does look like him to me. not a mask expert like many but it is incredible to me what some people get away with selling these days and claiming it to look like myers or others.

Nils
03-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys! :) Myers63, you almost bought a SD78 during the run?? Cool, so are you a member of any of the mask boards? Maybe I know you under another name! ;)