PDA

View Full Version : Serpent and the rainbow

Slasher 101
09-29-2004, 09:54 AM
would you guys say this is a zombie flick? and what are your thoughts on this?

I thought this movie was prefect a great ride form start to finish.

It's Neal
09-29-2004, 12:11 PM
what is this movie about? the cover makes it kind of look like a kiddy movie..

Creepingmouth
09-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by NCamp
what is this movie about? the cover makes it kind of look like a kiddy movie..

it is simply the best Wes Craven movie.

It's about a man (Bill Pullman) lookin' for voodoo rituals and the secret potion to bring back to life dead people letting them be your slave.

horrorqueen7
09-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Creepingmouth

It's about a man (Bill Pullman) lookin' for voodoo rituals and the secret potion to bring back to life dead people letting them be your slave.

You think so? Thats cool. Was not one of my favs at all. I hated it.

It's Neal
09-29-2004, 07:55 PM
haha, conflicting views i see. Both on total opposites of the spectrum

zombie commando
09-29-2004, 08:37 PM
In my opinion this is Wes Craven's second best flick ever, and one of the most overlooked horror movies out there. I love the way they presented the classical voodoo zombie, and made it extremely creepy.

If you want a genuinely creepy tale rent out this movie, you'll thank me later.

Chomp_on_this
09-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Creepingmouth

Oh how I agree with you. This is Craven's only descent attempt at film-making. It was smart, clever, dark, mysterious, and quite erotic if I may add.

I really like this movie.

Creepingmouth
10-01-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
Oh how I agree with you. This is Craven's only descent attempt at film-making. It was smart, clever, dark, mysterious, and quite erotic if I may add.

I really like this movie.

Quite erotic? yes I guess it is if you're a necrophile:)

Seriously,yeah you're right there some erotism in it

Slasher 101
10-01-2004, 08:13 AM
Yes this is one of Cravens best works, And for the people who have not seen this, it is a great film it has a good plot a great story and it is a fun ride form start to finish

It's Neal
10-01-2004, 12:11 PM
fun ride and erotic..........

*drives to blockbuster*

Silverpsycho
10-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Is it worth renting? I have only seen it on television a couple times (about 2 years ago during the AMC monsterfest). I didn't really care for it on television, but if there is a bunch of stuff that's too much for a television version to handle...then I can definitely see giving it another look. Anyone have any advice?

Chomp_on_this
10-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Silverpsycho
Is it worth renting? I have only seen it on television a couple times (about 2 years ago during the AMC monsterfest). I didn't really care for it on television, but if there is a bunch of stuff that's too much for a television version to handle...then I can definitely see giving it another look. Anyone have any advice?

Its an artsy movie, that is definately worth atleast a rent.

zombie commando
10-11-2004, 06:20 AM
You can never really judge a horror flick from it's watered down TV version....rent it.

HuskerTornado
10-11-2004, 03:09 PM
I think The Hills Have Eyes is Craven's best work. People Under the Stairs was also good, followed by A Nightmare On Elm St, and then probably this and Last House on the Left.

I haven't seen Serpent & the Rainbow for a few years, I probably need to see it again, but it is pretty decent.

srf nz
02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
I watched this movie for the first time today and absolutely loved it. This movie creeped me out, very well for a Wes Craven film. The settings, the music, the scenery, and the gore, it was all just over-the-top and disturbing. Bill Pullman did really good in this also, and I can understand the erotic part you guys were talking about.

Rabbit in Red
02-25-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm suprised no one has brought up the real life incident on the set where they had to send a worker of the movie home because he was set under the living dead spell. Believe it or not, makes for a cool movie making story. Good stuff indeed, but personally I liked this on the same level as The Hills Have Eyes. Most of Craven's movies seem to contain certain moments, some more than others. This deffinately has more of those "moments." This rates a 7.5 on the Mungometer...oh yeah...I went there. Mungometer.

srf nz
02-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Lmao, "Mungometer?" ....Okay than, I'll leave it at that.

Did anyone else notice there was a strange feel to this film shared with other horror movies containing african americans, like, for example Tales From the Hood. That feeling of disturbance, and that you know....something isn't right?

zombie commando
04-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, something wasn't right, people were being turned into freaking zombies man. That's what wasn't right.

fanatic986
04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
This is one of my favorite movies...ever. Everything about it is PERFECT! Its a beautiful, frightening film.

Too bad Haiti is such a "bad" country or else I'd visit it.
Too bad the soundtrack is OOP. :(

zombie commando
04-15-2005, 06:30 AM
Ha! "You down with OOP? Yeah you know me."

I would even go out on a limb and say that Serpent and the Rainbow is scarier than NOES.

fanatic986
04-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by zombie commando
I would even go out on a limb and say that Serpent and the Rainbow is scarier than NOES.

I think it is. Its a true story, while NOES isn't.

Maxvayne
04-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by fanatic986
I think it is. Its a true story, while NOES isn't.

Not exactly. Even A Nightmare On Elm Street also brought truth from it's tale.

Creepingmouth
04-16-2005, 03:49 PM

maybe,but that's not the reason I like it

zombie commando
04-18-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Maxvayne
Not exactly. Even A Nightmare On Elm Street also brought truth from it's tale.

Really? What's true about it? I've never heard that.

fanatic986
04-18-2005, 08:35 AM

An asian immigrant kid died in his sleep. So its based on a true event. I think its BS personally.

zombie commando
04-18-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by fanatic986
An asian immigrant kid died in his sleep. So its based on a true event. I think its BS personally. Yeah, I've never heard that. When I was in Kuwait one fellow that lived in a tent away from me had a heart attack in his sleep and died. Maybe NOES is based on that as well?;)

fanatic986
04-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I've never heard that. When I was in Kuwait one fellow that lived in a tent away from me had a heart attack in his sleep and died. Maybe NOES is based on that as well?;)

Hey, ya never know. Wes Craven could have been hiding at your camp, listening.;)

FTL
04-21-2005, 03:56 PM

Freddy is based some what on a hobo that used to frighten Wes as a young child.

Maxvayne
04-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by FTL

And a kid named Freddy who used to bully Wes.

But I was aiming for the articals that were about that kid who said something was gonna kill him in his sleep and it ended up happening.

fanatic986
04-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by FTL

Yes, I do remember that as well. Something about him looking at Wes one night through his window or something. Creepy.

zombie commando
04-22-2005, 06:06 AM
I just watched Bravo's 100 scariest moments in movies countdown and on it Wes Craven said that the idea came from when he read an article about a boy dying in his sleep while his friends watched him. The character Freddy is from the hobo he saw. Mix and mash them and you've got NOES.