PDA

View Full Version : The Laserdisc Thread

MyersFan927
11-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Here we can discuss the various laserdisc issues of the Halloween movies, including those from overseas. Recently I discovered a stunning H2 Japanese laserdisc with OBI strip, but forgot to win the auction. An H1 Jap, which I knew existed, was also for sale. I love the artwork of Michael at the top of the stairs - his face crisp and nicely visible.

So now, I am aware of H1, H2, and H4 Japanese releases. Could there be an H3? I'd freak out at the sight of one: the Japanese usually produce covers with nice images and styles.

Anyway, which laserdiscs do you own, or have seen? Which U.S. and foreign issues do you think are the rarest? Any you'd like to find? Discuss here.

I like how the write-ups on the back of my H1, H4, and H5 laserdiscs contain more information, obviously due to more space. Sometimes this comes as a disadvantage, and I'm sure you know why. It's weird how the H1 MEDIA laserdisc tells you the major plot points...and the exact ending! lol

Here's an interesting Behind the Scenes write-up I saw on the back of my H5 laserdisc. I came home and opened my H4 and H5 copies just yesterday, and I think they're really cool.

Although HALLOWEEN 5 has all the same elements as the other "Halloween" movies, director/co-writer Dominique Othenin-Girard thinks this film is different in at least one important area. He believes the viewers will "Get into the characters more than they did in the others in the series" because "there is a spellbinding link between Jamie and Michael...she sees what he sees, she feels what he feels..." Producer Moustapha Akkad points out another crucial difference, "audiences will see an emotion from Michael...when he removes the mask for little Jamie..." This scene is an uncharacteristically touching one for a "Halloween" shocker, and the producer views it as "an ingredient...filmgoers will respond to." HALLOWEEN 5 also introduces the Mysterious Stranger, who is slated to have a bigger role in the plot of "Halloween 6".

Laow-Z
11-24-2005, 07:43 PM
I also have that H5 laserdisc. I got it when laserdiscs first came out and i paid about $600 for my player.

MrTaft
11-24-2005, 11:29 PM
There are German and French laserdiscs out there for H4 and H5 also. The German ones are special editions, although I am not sure of their features. Those, and the Japanese ones, would be the rarest of the rare. The UK ones for H1 & H20 come up quite often.

Franchise
11-25-2005, 12:08 AM
I've thought about actually trying to get the foreign laser discs myself, but never got the time with Nathaniel being born. They seemed pretty reasonable, but I do take some extreme pride in the fact that all my laser discs are sealed.

Case
11-25-2005, 04:02 PM
http://japanld.free.fr/search.php?search=Halloween&sort=title

That should help with some info or you cuold contribute some info.

lddb.com is trying to archive every known laserdisc and now people can sell there aswell, nice little place.

Superman
11-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Franchise
I've thought about actually trying to get the foreign laser discs myself, but never got the time with Nathaniel being born. They seemed pretty reasonable, but I do take some extreme pride in the fact that all my laser discs are sealed. Then you can't watch them. :(

Franchise
11-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Superman
Then you can't watch them. :(

I don't have the player for them anyways. So, no biggy to me.

myers2004
11-29-2005, 03:56 PM
I have h4 and h5 not sealed but still was a great find in a place i never figured for 10$ a piece. id love to find them all and by the looks will be going through alot of nights looking on ebay.

MyersFan927
11-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Oh my, I had no idea there were that many laserdiscs from Germany, France, and Japan. It's hard enough to find the American ones these days.

Charlesu87
06-11-2014, 08:07 PM
@Laow-Z If you ever want to sell it let me know