PDA

View Full Version : George Romero: Master of Horror or Talentless Hack?

Roswell
11-24-2005, 02:18 PM
I've had a few debates with a friend of mine who feels George Romero and his zombie films are overrated. When he heard that George Romero was going to be directing an episode of "Masters of Horror" (which, unfortunately, he ended up not being able to do), he kind of scoffed and said "They don't know how to pick masters of horror."

So, what do you think of George Romero and his films? Do you feel he is a good director or someone who has been too hyped up by his fans?

zombie commando
11-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Emperor Zombie is a good director. Nearly every director has lulls in quality over their career. Your friend sounds like a tremendous overflowing bucket o' stupid.

benluvin
11-24-2005, 05:05 PM
I thought he was a great. Land of the Dead kinda of lacked, but it was a good idea. His past movies were just awsome.

Creepingmouth
11-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Mark Warner
So, what do you think of George Romero and his films? Do you feel he is a good director or someone who has been too hyped up by his fans?

I love zombies and I have to thank Romero for the genuine beutiful zombie movies he directed.
They're not simple horror movies,they have a deep social meaning.I think Romero clearly deserves all the praises he had.

PhantomPhart
11-24-2005, 08:34 PM
How could anyone not call him a master of horror?

Land of the Dead is my least favorite zombie film that he's done but i don't hold that against him. Have your friends seen all his movies?

Roswell
11-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by PhantomPhart
How could anyone not call him a master of horror?

Land of the Dead is my least favorite zombie film that he's done but i don't hold that against him. Have your friends seen all his movies?

They've seen Night of The Living Dead-The Dark Half.

Freddy's_Fan
11-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Duh, Master of Horror! Am I the only one that loved
Land Of The Dead? first George Romero zombie movie i saw in a cinema

MMyers89
11-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Master of the fuckin zombie genre thats for sure...His movies are brilliant...they have meaning and depth... He is in no way, shape or form a hack, for he created most everything we see in the genre today. He's the best and always will be.

Silverpsycho
11-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Romero is a true Master of Horror. He is definitely owed that title because he hasn't stooped as low as selling out completely to Hollywood. I feel he makes his films for himself and his fans instead of catering to the general public trying to rake in the big bucks. Sure, I am a big fan of his older stuff, but Land of the Dead did not disappoint me and I'd rather see anything Romero creates than something of Snyder's any day. Romero just impresses me with the satire he provides and I commend him for that.

Bucky-lives
11-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Romero is a master. He is Mr.Zombie.

Chomp_on_this
11-28-2005, 12:54 AM
I think Romero has put a big enough staple in horror cinema to be called a Master. Sure, he shines the brightest when doing a film about the walking dead, but I think he has had a few other horror masterpieces that often get overlooked because of it...Martin, Creepshow, and Season of the Witch are all fine examples of horror cinema.

As for the Masters of Horror thing, I think Mick Garris will be doing a second season of MOH, so maybe George will be able to do an episode then.

EDIT: Boy, I wish the bastards who voted GAR was a hack would speak up becuse you probably shouldn't have any business watching horror films in the first place.

Roswell
11-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
I think Romero has put a big enough staple in horror cinema to be called a Master. Sure, he shines the brightest when doing a film about the walking dead, but I think he has had a few other horror masterpieces that often get overlooked because of it...Martin, Creepshow, and Season of the Witch are all fine examples of horror cinema.

As for the Masters of Horror thing, I think Mick Garris will be doing a second season of MOH, so maybe George will be able to do an episode then.

EDIT: Boy, I wish the bastards who voted GAR was a hack would speak up becuse you probably shouldn't have any business watching horror films in the first place.

Creepshow I definately agree with. That film needs to be released in a SE DVD. Maybe with an upcoming remake we can get that.

Season of the Witch wasn't all that great to me. It had its moments, yeah, but it wasn't all there for me.

Martin is also a great film. The idea of a "vampire" (I use that term loosely) in a modern day setting is pretty cool, and Romero does a great job with it.

discvader
12-09-2005, 07:32 PM
There are 2 votes for "Hack"? I know it's your own opinion, but some things are fact and Romero is Master of all things ZOMBIE!

dragon4kody
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Land of the dead was a good movie, but after watching the remake of Dawn of the dead, I was hopeing for a same simularty of zombies in Land of the dead. George Romero is awsome, best zombie movies are Romero's all the way. Dawn of the dead (orginal) was the first zombie flick Ive seen. I was young (4) And loved it. The begging of Dawn of the dead seemed more real as everything started to happen. The remake was graet, kept me on the edge of my seat, and the zombies were the best zombies to ever hit the screens, loved seeing the dead run after there kill, and as the movie goes on you see the zombies slowly decae. The remake was a little to much hollywood its own way. But thats how it is anymore, nothing beats the eightys horror movies. but I did like the remake,but my votes go to the orginal.

3pidemiC
01-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Wait..so you wanted to see Romero change the formula HE created and make the zombies run? Also, Romero's films are all tied with political satire, which is the reason that they are so great. All of his films represent that time in American history (when each was made). In 1968, "Night of the Living Dead" was tied with the civil rights and racial tensions. In 1976, "Dawn of the Dead" was tied with the consumerism of the 1970's. In 1985, he tied "Day of the Dead" with Ronald Reagan's militaristic U.S. Then, in 2005, "Land of the Dead" portrayed the terrorist-fearing and seperation of the classes of today. The remake had none of this, that is why it's hard to compare the two.

dragon4kody
01-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by 3pidemiC
Wait..so you wanted to see Romero change the formula HE created and make the zombies run? Also, Romero's films are all tied with political satire, which is the reason that they are so great. All of his films represent that time in American history (when each was made). In 1968, "Night of the Living Dead" was tied with the civil rights and racial tensions. In 1976, "Dawn of the Dead" was tied with the consumerism of the 1970's. In 1985, he tied "Day of the Dead" with Ronald Reagan's militaristic U.S. Then, in 2005, "Land of the Dead" portrayed the terrorist-fearing and seperation of the classes of today. The remake had none of this, that is why it's hard to compare the two. Its not that I want to change the meaning or anything about Romeros zombie flicks,, just the zombies. I thought the zombies in Dawn of the dead remake were more horror fighing than slow zombies. You can allways out run slow zombies, but in the remake its like shit, what can I do. How I feel has nothing to do with what the movie is about.

3pidemiC
01-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I understand what you are getting at. But you're also saying that you want to see the FATHER OF ZOMBIE MOVIES to change his creations to match a trend in mainstream Hollywood? I think that would totally ruin his credibility. Slow zombies are scarier I think because it's like a "slow death" that is not much a a threat on it's own, but extremely deadly in numbers. Also, for the fact the the entire world collapses in about a week in the remake, when you actually get to see the steady decay of our civilization in Romero's films.

Flea
01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
who the hell were the two who voted talentless hack!!! the guy basically invented flesh eating zombies

halo thirty one
01-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Flea
who the hell were the two who voted talentless hack!!! the guy basically invented flesh eating zombies
That seems to happen a lot here. Someone will vote one way or another, going against what seems to be the popular opinion, but they never post to explain why. I'm not saying they're wrong for voting the way they did. It would just be interesting to see why they voted that way.

I can tell you that I wasn't one of the two people. I think that Romero's body of work shows that he's a talented director.

dragon4kody
01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
I understand what you are getting at. But you're also saying that you want to see the FATHER OF ZOMBIE MOVIES to change his creations to match a trend in mainstream Hollywood? I think that would totally ruin his credibility. Slow zombies are scarier I think because it's like a "slow death" that is not much a a threat on it's own, but extremely deadly in numbers. Also, for the fact the the entire world collapses in about a week in the remake, when you actually get to see the steady decay of our civilization in Romero's films. I like Romeros Dawn of the dead way better, yes the remake was hollywood all the way, but the new zombies to me are just more threatning.

Roswell
01-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by dragon4kody
Its not that I want to change the meaning or anything about Romeros zombie flicks,, just the zombies. I thought the zombies in Dawn of the dead remake were more horror fighing than slow zombies. You can allways out run slow zombies, but in the remake its like shit, what can I do. How I feel has nothing to do with what the movie is about.

You can't always out run slow zombies. In all the zombie films I've seen, humans are usually outnumbered by them. It's a massive group of zombies against a small group of people. They may move slow, but if you get enough of them together, you're fucked.

dragon4kody
01-08-2006, 11:25 AM
True, but in the old school zombie movies you can allways find a loop hole to get away, but in the remake there reallt isnt to much you can do.
But like I said I do like Romereos version best. Romero started it all and gave us so much.

3pidemiC
01-08-2006, 12:25 PM
You are right about whole "We're fucked" aspect to running zombies...I mean, look at "Return of the Living Dead"...but, I think is also an exhuse to have over-the-top action, explosions, etc. to keep Hollywood audiences interested.

dragon4kody
01-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Your right all the way, and its hard to say I like the zombies better in the remake, I guess It was just something diffrent, And I was just happy to see good scary movies hit the screens, You have to admit its rare for a good scary movie to come out now of days, hell just a good movie to come out. I miss the eightys movies.

michael =TERROR
04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Why would he even be considered a talentless hack this is even stupid to debate about George Romero made zombies if it wasnt for him there would be no zombies and thats a world I cant live in.

3pidemiC
04-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Well, technically George did not create zombies. Zombies have been around for centuries, in voodoo and what not. George just took off on that idea and made them his own. He created the flesh-eating, moaning, groaning, shoot-in-the-head, shuffling zombies that we all know and love.

michael =TERROR
04-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Well, technically George did not create zombies. Zombies have been around for centuries, in voodoo and what not. George just took off on that idea and made them his own. He created the flesh-eating, moaning, groaning, shoot-in-the-head, shuffling zombies that we all know and love.

Yes and thats a zombie world I cant live without.

Desperado Dave
07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
I voted Master of Horror. I'll be honest if not for the Dead flicks, Romero wouldn't rate too highly on my fave horror filmmaker list.

He's in my top 5 mostly due to the Dead flicks. He would make my top 10 probably without them, but I wouldn't be the fan I am of his today if not for the Dead movies.

I enjoy his other work, but yeah the Dead flicks are the main reason I love his work

horrornut
07-09-2007, 05:30 PM
George IS a master at what he does....no question about it. I figured that out in 1968. True story.....picture it. Hattiesburg Mississippi, Broadway Drive In Theatre, the weekend NOTLD opened. I was 21 years old. Four of us grabbed some six packs and headed to the Broadway Drive In to get a good scare. That movie scared the ever living shit out of all of us. I had no idea what the flick was about except that it was a "horror" movie. The worse part about it...... I was attending the University of Southern Mississippi and lived in a trailer park.....DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM A HUGE CEMETERY!!! Hell, I didn't sleep for several nights. Remember... in 1968 no one had any exposure to a real Zombie movie. It was a first....a trend setter. George wrote the book on how to do a scary zombie flick. We judge all zombie movies on how it compares with NOTLD. George Romero is a true Master of Horror. George Romero is a zombie GENIUS.:bow:

The Dark Knight
07-10-2007, 02:17 PM
in all fairness, George got a free pass on LotD.

Khan
07-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Who thinks he is a hack?

WhiteZombie
07-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Who thinks he is a hack?

Problably just idiots, Voting it for the hell of it. You cant call the creator of the modern zombie a hack. Wheather you like the movies or not.

Khan
07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Right on!

Without him, there would be no zombies, and that would be a very bad thing.

JAWS
07-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Well do to the fact that he has Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Martin under his belt , I voted Master.

But with films like Land of the dead, Season of the Witch, The Dark Half and the Crazies I could see an argument for talentless hack.

Khan
07-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I love The Crazies and Land Of The Dead!

wyatt s
07-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Romero has had his fair share of stinkers in his career, but when he's on his game the stuff he produces is absolutely fantastic. There's no way he is a Hack. He's a talented filmmaker who knows how to make movies.

Khan
07-14-2007, 06:52 PM
I was just watching Dawn Of The Dead to take screen caps and ended up watching way more of it.

Best movie ever!

TheShape'78
07-14-2007, 09:06 PM
i definitely think he is a master of horror ( i mean come on the guy is the grandfather of zombie flicks). i really enjoyed Night Of The Living Dead, and the fact that he directed the Misfits video "Scream" makes him all that much cooler. this man is definitely one of the top five masters of horror, imo.

-mitch-

Shamrock-Robot
07-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Well do to the fact that he has Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Martin under his belt , I voted Master.

But with films like Land of the dead, Season of the Witch, The Dark Half and the Crazies I could see an argument for talentless hack.

Land Of The Dead was great man!!!, But yeah George is definately a master of horror, Night,Dawn,Day and not to mention Creepshow, Anyone who would call him a hack is crazy.

Chaosboy
07-15-2007, 02:40 AM
Say...how many Nite of the livin deads are there??

discvader
07-15-2007, 06:14 AM
What do ya mean Quint? As far as dvd releases...theres probably around 5-10(Millennium Edition is real nice!) ? If you mean different versions of the actual movie, I think there's 2(Original and '90 remake) and if you mean just George Romero Dead movies...there's Night, Dawn, Day, & Land.

Pug-a-Licious
07-15-2007, 06:39 AM
I voted Master of Horror. When I think of zombie movies I immediately think of him before anyone else.

Shamrock-Robot
07-15-2007, 12:46 PM

If your talkin about dvd releases there is a ton of em, If your talkin about actual films there is 3 so far, Romero's classic, Tom Savini's great 1990 remake, And the crappy 3d one.

Khan
07-15-2007, 12:54 PM
The original films:

-Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
-Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
-Day Of The Dead (1985)
-Land Of The Dead (2005)

The remakes:

-Night Of The Living Dead (1990)
-Dawn Of The Dead (2004)
-Day Of The Dead (Not yet released)
-Night Of The Living Dead 3D (2006?)

WhiteZombie
07-15-2007, 06:33 PM
The original films:

-Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
-Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
-Day Of The Dead (1985)
-Land Of The Dead (2005)

The remakes:

-Night Of The Living Dead (1990)
-Dawn Of The Dead (2004)
-Day Of The Dead (Not yet released)
-Night Of The Living Dead 3D (2006?)

Night was also relased in colour, which im sure you know. Thats not another movie or anything, but its somthing.

Shamrock-Robot
07-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Night was also relased in colour, which im sure you know. Thats not another movie or anything, but its somthing.

Ive been interested in seeing the colorized version, Does it have the same vibe as the b&w version?

Khan
07-16-2007, 04:07 AM

My bad, I forgot that.

Desperado Dave
07-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Ive been interested in seeing the colorized version, Does it have the same vibe as the b&w version?

I have that DVD. The one I had sucked! And I wanted a decent copy. I figured since it also includes the B/W might as well.

I never watched the whole thing in color and it doesn't look bad, but doesn't work quite as well.

It's interesting to see, but the B/W is far creepier.

Khan
07-16-2007, 07:06 AM
I have seen clips of it in colour and it didn't work.

I don't plan on buying that DVD.

wyatt s
07-16-2007, 07:13 AM
The colorized version was piss pour, in my opinion. Sometimes films were just meant to be in Black and White.

Shamrock-Robot
07-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Ok thanks for the heads up on the colorized version guys, Ill stay away from it, The b&w is what adds to the creepiness of the original anyway.

Shamrock-Robot
07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Btw, Do any of you guys have any pics of the zombie's from the colorized version?, Im interested in seeing what the make up effects look like in color.

WhiteZombie
07-16-2007, 07:13 PM

Its definetly not the same. The B&W is creepy and works incredibly well for the movie. The colour isint nearly as great, but I still own it.

Rich
07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
I can't imagine anyone thinking GAR is a tallentless hack. He has made some of the most intelligent horror movies ever made:

Night of the Living Dead
The Crazies
Martin
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead

The man is a horror genius.

As far as the colorized Night of the Living Dead, the 1980s one sucks. The new one by Fox, although it does take some of the feel of the film away, it was done very well.

WhiteZombie
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I can't imagine anyone thinking GAR is a tallentless hack. He has made some of the most intelligent horror movies ever made:

Night of the Living Dead
The Crazies
Martin
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead

The man is a horror genius.

As far as the colorized Night of the Living Dead, the 1980s one sucks. The new one by Fox, although it does take some of the feel of the film away, it was done very well.

Dont forget Creepshow. Dident write it, but still an amazing movie.

Khan
09-13-2007, 12:42 PM
It has a distributor...

Weinstein digs "Diary of the Dead" at Toronto

TORONTO (Hollywood Reporter) - The dead have risen. In a sale that once seemed as slow as a zombie, the Weinstein Co. snapped up North American and Mexican rights to "George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead."

While R-rated horror movies didn't perform well at the box office earlier this summer, Weinstein's "Halloween" bucked the trend with a record-breaking Labor Day opening. The latest sequel to Romero's 1968 horror classic "Night of the Living Dead" premiered late Saturday at the Toronto International Film Festival and spooked out crowds.

Weinstein paid $2 million to $2.5 million for the rights Tuesday after several offers were considered, including some for video-only distribution. The Weinstein deal includes a theatrical commitment.

FooFighters
09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Jeremy owns this thread!:owned:

Khan
09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I was so happy to read that!

FooFighters
09-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Haha, no problem.:)

Vic
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
definitely Horror Master, not as good as Carpenter though:nodsmile:

Rich
09-14-2007, 10:32 AM
It depends on which one you saw. In the 1980s some company colorized the movie, which I have on vhs, and it sucks. I think the Fox color version was done pretty well. The color does take away some of the feel of the movie though. At the end of the day Night of the Living Dead is a black and white story.

Captain Mal
09-14-2007, 11:49 AM
I tink anyone calling Romero a talentless hack needs to be slapped around a lot! And for the record I enjoyed Land Of The Dead. Dawn of the Dead is one of the best movies ever made, period. How can he be talentless? He is, in fact, awesome.

The Dark Knight
09-14-2007, 12:13 PM
I think its a horror sin to watch NOTLD '68 in color.

Khan
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I have never seen it in color and I don't intend to.

The Dark Knight
09-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I have never seen it in color and I don't intend to.

right on, brother.

Khan
09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
I also won't watch the abomination that is the 30th Anniversary edition.

The Dark Knight
09-14-2007, 12:57 PM
never heard of it. is it all CGI'd with walkie talkies instead of guns? (South Park joke)

Khan
09-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Without George's involvement (the move is legally downloadable), 15 minutes of the movie were removed and 15 minutes of new footage were added.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063350/alternateversions

The Dark Knight
09-14-2007, 01:15 PM
sounds horrible.

Khan
09-14-2007, 01:17 PM
It is.

This new footage has a priest surviving a bite by the power of God.

The Dark Knight
09-14-2007, 01:19 PM
:vomit: oh God. (pun intended)

Rich
09-15-2007, 10:32 PM
I actually like the backstory for the graveyard zombie. I hated the whole priest thing. I liked the new music too. It has it's pros and cons. That is okay though because Dawn of the Dead (1979) is still the king of the living dead movies, right Myerswalk?

Khan
09-16-2007, 07:22 AM

I consider every movie in the series to be equally excellent and important, but the one I could watch endlessly is Dawn.

The Dark Shape
09-16-2007, 08:43 AM
The 30th Anniversary Edition of Night is an abomination. It's god-awful in every way.

mcilroga
09-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Despite our fallout, themyerswalk, I actually think Romero is one of the finest horror directors around.

Now it's your turn to say something nice about youknowwho. :bastard:

Rich
09-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Amazon lists Dawn as being 1979. Also, I have an anniversary issue of Fango from like two years ago that lists Dawn of the Dead to be the best horror film of 1979. I think there is some controversy over what year the movie came out.

Khan
09-16-2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/

IMDB lists it as a 1978 movie, but has the release date as 1979.

Despite our fallout, themyerswalk, I actually think Romero is one of the finest horror directors around.

Now it's your turn to say something nice about youknowwho. :bastard:

All hail Jodie Foster! :batard:

Capt_Murdock
09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I voted Master of Horror. Anyone who defined a genre (NOTLD) would deserve this title for that alone. He also has the distinction of adding a monumental entry into the vampire genre (Martin), made one of the best anthology films ever (Creepshow) and tried to bend genres in a fresh way (Knightriders). I don't think there should be any debate.

wyatt s
09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
I voted Master of Horror. Anyone who defined a genre (NOTLD) would deserve this title for that alone. He also has the distinction of adding a monumental entry into the vampire genre (Martin), made one of the best anthology films ever (Creepshow) and tried to bend genres in a fresh way (Knightriders). I don't think there should be any debate.

You and I are in complete agreement. There's just no way that I can say that a man who has done so much so well in his career, and is still trying his best to do more quality work, is anywhere near a hack.

Khan
09-24-2007, 06:05 PM

Well said!

WhiteZombie
09-24-2007, 06:50 PM

Exacly. Exacly.

Rich
09-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Land of the Dead and The Crazies are great movies.

Fast moving zombies suck.

I just had to respond to some of the things I read during the duration of this thread.

Khan
09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I am also not too keen on running zombies.

discvader
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
They worked pretty good in The Return of the Living Dead...but make no mistake...I worship Romero! :bow: What is thy bidding, my master.

Khan
09-26-2007, 11:00 AM
ROTLD was a parody of sorts, so it worked in that context.

OmegaRex
09-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Id rather watch Romeros worst effort instead of many of the films coming out now.

mmyers78
09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I say he's a master of horror all though Land of the Dead was kind of crappy

wyatt s
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I say he's a master of horror all though Land of the Dead was kind of crappy

I thought Land was great, the only problems with it is that 1.) It couldn't possibly have reached the levels of Night, Dawn, or even Day. That would be a pretty much impossible, but people still expected it. 2.) Because it wasn't what people wanted it to be. I think people kind of wanted something more like Dawn, mainly because I think that's all people want from a Romero zombie flick-another Dawn. But what they got was basically a weird kind of remake of Day.

Myers Insurance
09-27-2007, 03:51 PM
'Master of Horror'. His Zombie films all seem to be able to provide social commentary (though NOTLD was unintentional) - NOTLD has a black person being the hero in a time where the Civil Rights Movement was coming to an end, Dawn had the consumerism, and I haven't seen Day yet, so I can't tell you. That being said, he's willing to do things people don't want to do, and even after he's well-known in the horror industry, he stays independant (especially since LOTD).

Khan
09-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Day is about the Regan government.

Myers Insurance
09-27-2007, 03:55 PM
As in Ronald Reagan?

wyatt s
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, Ronald Regan

Khan
09-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes, and it is a commentary on the military.

Myers Insurance
09-27-2007, 03:59 PM
I'd LOVE to see what Romero can do on the Bush administration then...

wyatt s
09-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd LOVE to see what Romero can do on the Bush administration then...

Watch Land of the dead. Haha. Dennis Hopper was after all playing Rumsfeld

HannibalBEATNGU
09-27-2007, 04:08 PM
He's certainly a hell of alot closer to the first than the second, and I'm not even a zombie buff.

Khan
09-27-2007, 04:12 PM
As a previous poster said, his worst is better then some people's best.

OmegaRex
09-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I've always enjoyed Romero's handling of social and political themes ... even in films like The Crazies and Knightriders. It makes for an air of sophistication to his work not easily found in genre films.

Khan
09-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I agree. :bow:

Rich
09-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Anyone who has the guts to even try to call GAR a tallentless hack can be shut up with one movie title alone. That movie title is one of the most influential films ever made and one of the greatest horror films ever made. That title is

Night
of the
Living
Dead

discvader
09-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Anyone who has the guts to even try to call GAR a tallentless hack can be shut up with one movie title alone. That movie title is one of the most influential films ever made and one of the greatest horror films ever made. That title is

Night
of the
Living
Dead
Quoted for truth! :nodsmile:

Rich
09-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Thank you discvader. Believe it or not, my all time favorite zombie movie has become Day of the Dead (1985). I love it because the effects are awesome. I love the characters, and the tone is the darkest and most synical tone in the entire series. It is probably the most serious one. I love Dawn, but sometimes it gets funny.

The Dark Knight
09-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Day probably had Savini's best stuff.

Khan
09-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Quoted for truth! :nodsmile:

Truth indeed!

WhiteZombie
09-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Day probably had Savini's best stuff.

No doubt. The soldiers being torn apart was so amazing looking.

Rich
09-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I think Tom's two best things he ever did was Rhodes being torn apart in Day of the Dead (1985) and Mrs. Voorhees getting decapitated in Friday the 13th (1980).

wyatt s
09-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I think Tom's two best things he ever did was Rhodes being torn apart in Day of the Dead (1985) and Mrs. Voorhees getting decapitated in Friday the 13th (1980).

Agreed. Plus didn't he do the slide down the knife in Friday part 4? That was fantastic. I love the hidden rubber chicken the zombies pull out of Rhodes! I'm also a big fan of the soldier getting his head ripped off in Day.

Myers Insurance
09-29-2007, 07:48 AM

Night
of the
Living
Dead

That's a signature worthy quote right there.

Khan
09-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Indeed it is.

WhiteZombie
09-30-2007, 07:33 PM

Yeah totally. Although in Creepshow, The crate has some fantastic gore. And the Old man in the last story being filled with bugs. Great stuff.

spindrift68
09-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Fuckin' Master!

storyteller
09-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure how could anyone could label him as a talentless hack, though his style is surely outdated. I'm not a fan of any of his films, but respect his earlier 'dead' films. I have nothing good to say about Diary or Land, however.

srf nz
09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
He's definitely really regressed over the years, but at the end of the day when you look at his great body of work from the late 60s to the early 80s, you have to label him as a master of horror. The original NOTLD alone should qualify him for that honor.

Now...if only he'd come up with an original fucking idea that didn't involve zombies one of these days...it's okay to do something besides zombie films George, I promise we won't kill you for it!

wyatt s
09-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Now...if only he'd come up with an original fucking idea that didn't involve zombies one of these days...it's okay to do something besides zombie films George, I promise we won't kill you for it!

Unfortunately I don't think the man can get any other type of film financed at this point. That or he believes that he can't get any other film financed and as such has resigned himself to just making the zombie pictures. It's quite sad really...what I wouldn't give to see the man return to something like Creepshow, Knightriders, or hell even something like Bruiser.

TheShape'78
09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I hated Bruiser. The only part I liked was the scene featuring The Misfits. Haha.

-mitch-

oltrelamorte
11-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Romero is my favorite director so I believe he is a master of horror.

Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Martin
The Crazies
Creepshow

Those right there give him that status although I'm also a fan of Bruiser, Knightriders(not really horror), Land of the Dead, & Diary of the Dead.

Scarface
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
He may have lost his way nowadays, but it would be very hard to call him a hack. Most of his stuff from the '60s-'80s have been good-to-great. Martin is one of my all time favorites. I just hope he can deliver one more decent zombie film at least. So far, Land and Diary sucked.

EvilOnTwoLegs
11-17-2009, 01:07 PM

I could go along with the former, but the latter isn't that remarkable. Especially when you compare it to something like Sheriff Fraser's shotgun decapitation in The Prowler...or hell, Tom Savini's cameo in Maniac, where he got his own head blown off. Those scenes still evoke a "Holy fuck!" reaction from most viewers, while simplistic on-screen decapitation has become rather blasé.

As for Romero, why does he have to be either a "Master of Horror" or a "Talentless Hack?" I mean, Christ, could we get some degree of grey area between those two extremes? haha Isn't it conceivable that he could be "Hit-Or-Miss," or "Mostly Good," or something? haha

oltrelamorte
11-24-2009, 05:32 AM
Although I do like the Mrs. Voorhees decapitation, I don't think it's on par with some of Tom's more remarkable effects like Disco Boy's exploding head, Rhodes being torn in half, the knife in the throat of the girl in the swimming pool in The Prowler(ouch!), etc.

It's still a cool effect in how it was executed by Tom & Taso.

Bearscubsfan87
11-24-2009, 08:31 AM
I love all of the Romero movies, (although there are a couple that I haven't seen) so I would call him a master of horror.

Mane-i-ac
02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Master of Horror.

What George did with the first two dead films are classic and wonderfully sharp social commentaries WITHOUT hitting you over the head with said commentaries.

And Martin remains my all time favorite Vampire film.

I commend Romero for what he's done for horror in more than just one way. His films make you think like few others do (John Carpenter being very similar in the thinking persons' horror department). Sure, there's gore but this always takes a huge back seat to character development and that commentary.

I have to laugh, a still progress script has one of my characters exclaim "What in the name of George A. Romero?!?"

And because of George, I got my all time favorite variants on his zombie films: my all time zombie fave: Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue and the off-beat Tombs of the Blind Dead.

Rich
03-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
The Crazies
Martain

George A. Romero is a master of horror without a doubt.

Rich
07-25-2010, 08:32 PM
I've had a few debates with a friend of mine who feels George Romero and his zombie films are overrated. When he heard that George Romero was going to be directing an episode of "Masters of Horror" (which, unfortunately, he ended up not being able to do), he kind of scoffed and said "They don't know how to pick masters of horror."

No offense, but your friend should be shot.

Romero is one of the all time greatest horror film makers ever.

Roswell
07-25-2010, 08:40 PM

He should be shot for having a different opinion? Not that it really matters now. He`s since discovered how good some of Romero`s films are.

El Rooto
07-25-2010, 09:09 PM
He was once a master of horror. Then he became sporadically good. Now...NO.

Darkness669
07-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Maybe his new movies aren't as good, but no matter how bad some of his new movies might be considered nothing will take away from the great movies he had made in his career.

Scarface
07-26-2010, 08:21 AM

Was. Not is. Dude can't make a decent movie anymore if his life depended on it.

SLAB
07-26-2010, 09:13 AM

A la John Carpenter.

Khan
07-26-2010, 09:16 AM
It seems to happen to all of the horror masters.

Hooper, Carpenter, Argento and others have created great films in the past, but all of them have come out with films that weren't well received.

Franchise
07-26-2010, 10:43 AM
The idea well goes a bit dry when you're writing at 3 in the morning and you've hit a block and you drink yourself into a good thought that Michael Myers and Laurie Strode are brother and sister.

Rich
07-26-2010, 09:33 PM
He should be shot for having a different opinion? Not that it really matters now. He`s since discovered how good some of Romero`s films are.

Right in the head..."There's another one for the fire!"

He was once a master of horror. Then he became sporadically good. Now...NO.

Land of the Dead was a great film. The only film he has done after that was Diary of the Dead. That wasn't great, but it is only one movie, and it isn't even really bad, it just isn't that good. It isn't like it is a steaming pile of crap, like Wes Craven's Cursed.

I bet he can.

A la John Carpenter.

When was the last time John Carpenter even made a movie? Wasn't it Ghosts from Mars?

SLAB
07-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Land of the Dead was a great film. The only film he has done after that was Diary of the Dead.

Survival of the Dead.

When was the last time John Carpenter even made a movie? Wasn't it Ghosts from Mars?

That would be it (unless you count his Masters of Horror stints which were meh at best), and it was horrible. The last watchable thing he made was In the Mouth of Madness which I think is alright, but don't really get all the love it receives. The thing is I want him to make something great again, it just seems to me he's not interested in doing it.

Scarface
07-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Land of the Dead was a great film. The only film he has done after that was Diary of the Dead. That wasn't great, but it is only one movie, and it isn't even really bad, it just isn't that good. It isn't like it is a steaming pile of crap, like Wes Craven's Cursed.

First of all, Romero has made Diary and Survival since Land. Secondly, calling Land good or enjoyable is very subjective. It's a big fucking disappointment for me. Great concept. Fucking horrible execution. And that's pretty much how all of Romero's films have been since... shit, Creepshow, maybe? Knightriders? Either way, a long time.

I bet he can.

I'll take that bet.

Rich
08-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Survival of the Dead doesn't come out for another couple weeks, so I haven't seen it. Therefore I can not count it as good or bad yet.

For me, Land of the Dead was a great movie. It told a good story and had good characters and a great cast. The gore was good too.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-03-2010, 10:19 PM
First of all, Romero has made Diary and Survival since Land. Secondly, calling Land good or enjoyable is very subjective. It's a big fucking disappointment for me.

Maybe you should shoot Rich in the head, since his opinion differs from yours, and that is how he feels such disputes should be resolved.

SLAB
08-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Maybe you should shoot Rich in the head, since his opinion differs from yours, and that is how he feels such disputes should be resolved.

If I ever have to watch Diary of the Dead again I'll shoot myself in the head. When it comes to Land I'll just settle for a quick beating.

Roswell
08-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Land is decent enough I think. At the very least you've got capable actors in it (including the late Dennis Hopper) and some nice gory moments. Nowhere close to being as good as Dawn Of The Dead, but then again not a lot of zombie films are.

Rich
08-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Land is decent enough I think. At the very least you've got capable actors in it (including the late Dennis Hopper) and some nice gory moments. Nowhere close to being as good as Dawn Of The Dead, but then again not a lot of zombie films are.

I can't think of ANY zombie film that matches Dawn of the Dead. I think all of George's films have been consistantly good with Diary being the weak link of the bunch. I don't even think Diary was bad, but there is a movie called Zombie Diaries that did that concept a lot better, with all due respect to George.

Blood&Guts
08-26-2010, 01:49 PM
As for Romero, why does he have to be either a "Master of Horror" or a "Talentless Hack?" I mean, Christ, could we get some degree of grey area between those two extremes? haha Isn't it conceivable that he could be "Hit-Or-Miss," or "Mostly Good," or something? haha

My thoughts exactly! I enjoy watching Night and Dawn but that's about it for Romero films. I think neither Night or Dawn have held up over the years. I respect him but I wouldn't say legend. I also would not wait in line for 5 hours for his autograph like soo many people do at conventions.

Rich
08-26-2010, 07:10 PM

:roflmao: Some people take things too seriously.

I think all of Romero's Dead films are good films. Certainly Diary is the weakest. The Crazies was great too.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-26-2010, 09:42 PM
I think neither Night or Dawn have held up over the years.

I think Night has aged really well, actually. Certainly better than any of the others.

A Dumb Question
08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Screw his Dead films. Monkey Shines is where it's at.

Scarface
08-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Martin is fucking fantastic. My favorite vampire film.

A Dumb Question
08-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Every movie should end like Martin. There's nothing quite like the feeling of, "Wait, did the movie just wrap up that abruptly? Rewind it--I wasn't able to absorb what was happening until the end credits started rolling!"

Noctir
10-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Night of the Living Dead totally rips off The Last Man on Earth, with Vincent Price. Take that for what it's worth.

Rich
11-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Night of the Living Dead totally rips off The Last Man on Earth, with Vincent Price. Take that for what it's worth.

Actually it ripped off of I am Legend by Richard Matheson. However, Last Man on Earth though was based on that book, was very different and took some liberties with it.

Romero even says Night of the Living Dead is an I am Legend rip off, but that does not change the Night of the Living Dead being one of the greatest horror classics ever made in my brain.

blacksymbiote
12-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I thin Romero was a master but has hit his limit as most do at some point. Carpenter and Hooper to me have as well. I wonder where Craven would be had Williamson not brought him Scream.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Romero even says Night of the Living Dead is an I am Legend rip off, but that does not change the Night of the Living Dead being one of the greatest horror classics ever made in my brain.

Jesus Christ...I just realized that Night of the Living Dead was made in Rich's brain! :bigeyes:

SLAB
12-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Jesus Christ...I just realized that Night of the Living Dead was made in Rich's brain! :bigeyes:

Amazing! :)

halo thirty one
02-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Well, since today is George Romero's birthday, I'm going to say Master of Horror. Tomorrow he can go back to being a talentless hack.

Happy Birthday George!

the 'M' clam
02-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Well, since today is George Romero's birthday, I'm going to say Master of Horror. Tomorrow he can go back to being a talentless hack.

Happy Birthday George!

Wow. How old is George Romero today? Happy birthday George.:nodsmile::nodsmile:

Khan
02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Speaking of Romero, Bill Hinzman, aka the cemetery zombie, died of cancer yesterday.

captainoneliner
02-05-2012, 07:36 PM
That SUCKS. Really sorry to hear that.

halo thirty one
02-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah, RIP Bill Hinzman. :( He has been a part of the iconic images in the poster and cover art department for NOTLD.

EvilOnTwoLegs
02-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Romero's birthday killed Bill Hinzman?! Bastard!

RIP to the original running zombie. Or, rather than resting in peace, may he rise from the grave once more to feast on the flesh of the living.

the 'M' clam
02-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Speaking of Romero, Bill Hinzman, aka the cemetery zombie, died of cancer yesterday.

Shame. R.I.P. By the way I voted George Romero is a Master Of Horror.

halo thirty one
02-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Zombie Pumpkins tribute to Bill Hinzman:

http://www.zombiepumpkins.com/cemetery-zombie-pumpkin-pattern/317/

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b63/halo31/2012-02-07_1016.png

Torgo
02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
UYR3dorshwA

I can honestly say, Bill Hinzman lumbering in the background here is an awesome thing to be remembered for.

RIP.

Silverpsycho
02-08-2012, 04:19 AM
Such a strange past weekend for Night of the Living Dead/Romero fans.

1) Romero's 72nd Birthday
2) Saving the crumbling Evans City Cemetery Chapel gathering
3) The unfortunate passing of Bill Hinzman
4) Another unfortunate passing...Josephine Streiner.

Josephine was the mother to Russ and Gary and also played one of the zombies for a brief moment in the film.

I realize some of our fave icons from this movie are getting up there in age, but wow...all this at once?

Many of you already know this, but I'm posting it for those who don't.

Torgo
02-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Such a strange past weekend for Night of the Living Dead/Romero fans.

1) Romero's 72nd Birthday
2) Saving the crumbling Evans City Cemetery Chapel gathering
3) The unfortunate passing of Bill Hinzman
4) Another unfortunate passing...Josephine Streiner.

Josephine was the mother to Russ and Gary and also played one of the zombies for a brief moment in the film.

I realize some of our fave icons from this movie are getting up there in age, but wow...all this at once?

Many of you already know this, but I'm posting it for those who don't.

Harry and Ben are also no longer amongst the living, in case anyone didn't know that, either. Oh, and Tommy too.

Thorni52
02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
RIP Bill. The opening scene of NOTLD is timeless! It will never age or feel dated. The scene with him running after Barbra through the woods and country side is still pretty damn frightening.

MyersCult81
11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
R.I.P. Bill Hinzman. As for Romero, in his day he was a Master of Horror so I will go with that even though his recent work leans toward the latter.

Kitty
09-03-2014, 12:10 AM
I always thought he was the Master of Horror. Any ddude like that who can put the wind up me like that, is damned incredible.

Like Rick Baker, now I'm on the subject. Ever seen American Werewolf In London, when the dude changes?

Scarface
09-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Romero has been past his prime for a long while, and he even admits it. He's too old and tired to really put any effort in making movies. But I would definitely not call him a talentless hack. His earlier work more than shoots that down. Martin is still one of the best vampire films I've watched.

ILoveHalloween3
09-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Romero is certainly not a hack. This guy basically invented what we know today as the zombie. That alone makes him royalty amongst today's bunch.

I've noticed with Romero, as well as other guys like Carpenter, that battling idiot studio heads who fuck their scripts up and Producers (looking at you Weinstein's) that interject constantly on these things, that once you hit that age... you just give up. It's not worth the battle. When I watch Carpenter's The Ward, I love it, just because it's him. But then I look at it still and think "here's a guy who probably had a much different film in mind", it's very corporate.

Romero I feel when I watch "Land of the Dead" the same exact thing. There was a much different film when it was in it's infancy. I still think the biggest missed opportunity of Romero's career was the original intended version of Day of the Dead. Carpenter... I would've loved to have seen a Halloween anthology series, Michael vs. Pinhead (if that rumor was true), a Vampires series, and Escape 3... some of it could still be done -- but I get a feeling the studios are in the way.