PDA

View Full Version : Halloween 4 Clamshell VHS.

jmb_052
11-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Today, i was at FYE and saw the clamshell hallween 4, the one with the four Michaels on the cover. I basically bought it because I thought i read here that it was rare, and wasnt supposed to be released. It is the widescreen clamshell vhs.

Any info is appreciated.

H-Field Hero
11-20-2005, 04:06 PM
I own one. I won it off ebay sealed but opened it like a dumbass. I've never heard of it being all that rare, but thats still cool that you found one.

I think the unique packaging, cover, 'collectors series' tag, and WS format make this a pretty cool item. Much better than any other H4 vhs.

I have the other two halloween films that AB produced in the clamshall case: Halloween and Halloween 5.

jmb_052
11-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by H-field Hero
I own one. I won it off ebay sealed but opened it like a dumbass. I've never heard of it being all that rare, but thats still cool that you found one.

I think the unique packaging, cover, 'collectors series' tag, and WS format make this a pretty cool item. Much better than any other H4 vhs.

I have the other two halloween films that AB produced in the clamshall case: Halloween and Halloween 5.

I was actually lookin to get rid of it. Im not a collector, but i thought i remembered it being rare, so i picked it up to sell here, actually.

If anyone wants it, drop me a PM.

H-Field Hero
11-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Hopefully Paul will see this and clarify, but I'm nearly certain these aren't rare in the least. They used to be very easy to find on ebay. I had thought about selling mine (along with the H5), but they're opened and I figured I wouldnt' get enough for them to even warrant the mailing cost.

MyersFan927
11-20-2005, 05:44 PM
The H1 and H4 clamshells are not rare, but the H5 is somewhat hard to find these days. I myself don't own a copy, so if you're interested to sell it, Matt, I'll offer you a generous price. I'd really like to have one.

It's funny that you found one, because I was surprised to run into 3 or 4 at my local FYE store. Halloween VHS tapes usually cannot be found anymore, especially one that is a widescreen Special Edition.

The H4 clamshell is really awesome. I'm a sucker for letterbox tapes with features at the end. However I've never opened mine. Doesn't it have stuff on the reverse side? If anybody can upload a scan so I can check it out, that would be cool.

H-Field Hero
11-20-2005, 06:12 PM
The H4 is blank on the reverse side. The H5 has a write up on it's reverse side. It's been quite sometime since I've read it, but I believe it deals with the film as well as sequels in general... something like that. The same essay can be found on the reverse side of the cover art on the AB H5 dvd as well.

And Vince if I do decide to part with my H5 clamshell, you'll be the first to know. Keep in mind, it's not sealed. However it was sealed when I purchased it and probably played through two times.

MyersFan927
11-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Oh, okay. I thought I had read something about the reverse side on the back of my H4 clamshell. That was a while ago though; I hadn't laid eyes on my tapes in months, hehe.

Let me know about the H5 vhs, Matt. I'll understand if you wanna hold onto it though.

MrTaft
11-20-2005, 10:28 PM
If you can find one (H4) that was originally released and sold for a short time in 1998, those are really rare because it was recalled and then re-released later on. The re-releases aren't particularly rare (although rare enough for a VHS), but the original version is really rare. I can't remember exactly, but I think there's only a slight difference to do with dates on the back. Josh would know for sure.

MinioN
11-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by MrTaft
If you can find one (H4) that was originally released and sold for a short time in 1998, those are really rare because it was recalled and then re-released later on. The re-releases aren't particularly rare (although rare enough for a VHS), but the original version is really rare. I can't remember exactly, but I think there's only a slight difference to do with dates on the back. Josh would know for sure.

I remember that--I actually picked up one of the recalled versions, tho I never studied it long enough to see what the differance was (I thought it had to do with a misprint or a copywrite thing...) It's packed away now but maybe Ill dig it up tomorrow if anyone wants to see pics, if there is indeed a differance.

MyersFan927
11-21-2005, 06:01 AM

That's awesome, I had no idea about this.

Your post got me into thinking, and I remembered that my sealed H4 clamshell has a 1998 copyright on the back. I always wondered why, but usually dismissed it as an error. Could this be the recalled version?

If Matt or someone else could look at their VHS and check the year on the back..

H-Field Hero
11-21-2005, 07:02 AM
I'm nearly certain mine is one of the re-releases since I got off ebay no more than 2 years ago. It has the film copyrighted for 1988 and the package design for 1998.

jmb_052
11-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Heres the cover of mine, if it makes a difference

MyersFan927
11-21-2005, 06:59 PM
I crave rare VHSs as if they were part of my lifeblood. A recalled H4 clamshell from '98 would be hard to obtain, just like the frickining '82 H1, but they're out there...somewhere. Just like that damn '79 MEDA. :yar:

MichaelMyers101
11-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by MyersFan927
I crave rare VHSs as if they were part of my lifeblood. A recalled H4 clamshell from '98 would be hard to obtain, just like the frickining '82 H1, but they're out there...somewhere. Just like that damn '79 MEDA. :yar:

H1 was released in '81, '82, '83, '84, & '85, with 3 variations of each. Silver, blue, and red labels. There're also the '88 & '89 versions... And then you can't forget the '88(according to tape)/'89 (according to box) tv-version that was put out by accident. There're many more, but I don't feel like typing out a whole list... Just thought I'd share some additional information. :p Happy hunting.

myers2004
11-23-2005, 11:32 AM
is there any way to find a list of all the releases? i know it would be one huge list but would be interesting to see plus would kind of be like a checklist like in baseball collecting you could check em off as you get them.

MyersFan927
11-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by myers2004
is there any way to find a list of all the releases? i know it would be one huge list but would be interesting to see plus would kind of be like a checklist like in baseball collecting you could check em off as you get them.

All of the H4 releases, or everything? For H4, there's a screener from '88, a CBS/FOX from that same year, a reissue from '93 I believe, the clamshell, reissue clamshell, and the standard AB. As for the other movies, I could probably type a list - and probably miss a few, as new ones always seem to be discovered.

Myers63
11-24-2005, 11:22 PM
MrTaft is correct.

Anchor Bay was due to obtain the rights for H4 in the last quarter of 1998, and in hindsite, they jumped the gun with their release. I've read that CBS FOX had decided to retain their rights for one more year(perhaps answering the questions of "why" the H4 DVD was issued in '99 while the clamshell Widescreen was issued in 1998). MAYBE Anchor Bay had the rights to distribute the Widescreen only version, while CBS Fox continued with a final production phase of the Pan and Scan(Full Frame) until the following year--who knows? LOL

The clamshell H4 was available to buy in 1998, with Sam Goody being the only major retail outlet to stock them regularly after the recall(which is where I purchased mine along with the then newly released H2 and H3 GoodTimes DVDs). The issue price was $14.99...but anyone armed with the knowledge of the recall could go on to sell a copy on eBay for double or better profit.

Unfortunately for collector's, Anchor Bay never updated the cover art for the clamshell H4....so ALL copies retain the 1998 production date thus, there's absolutely no way to distinguish between a recalled copy and a copy distributed after CBS Fox relinquished their distribution rights.

MyersFan927
11-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Myers63
Unfortunately for collector's, Anchor Bay never updated the cover art for the clamshell H4....so ALL copies retain the 1998 production date thus, there's absolutely no way to distinguish between a recalled copy and a copy distributed after CBS Fox relinquished their distribution rights.

That is unfortunate. Thank you for the lowdown, Josh.

jmb_052
11-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Ah, well im glad I returned it.

Chaosboy
11-26-2005, 01:50 AM
Just like that damn '79 MEDA.

What is the '79 MEDA??

MrTaft
11-26-2005, 04:46 AM
The original release of H1 from Media, where they mispelled the company name as "Meda" on both VHS and Beta. The majority of these were recalled, but some are still out there and they're really rare and collectible! ;)

Chaosboy
11-26-2005, 07:49 AM
The original release of H1 from Media, where they mispelled the company name as "Meda" on both VHS and Beta. The majority of these were recalled, but some are still out there and they're really rare and collectible! ;)

thanks for the Intel !

loomis26
11-26-2005, 01:42 PM
people claim they are rare but there not. i actully have the H4 clamshell vhs, but i never opend it.

MyersFan927
11-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by loomis26
people claim they are rare but there not. i actully have the H4 clamshell vhs, but i never opend it.

The recalled edition is rare, if that's what you mean.

MrTaft
11-26-2005, 06:25 PM
The recalled edition is rare, if that's what you mean.

I don't think he does.