PDA

View Full Version : The return of the Zombie Genre, and the next...

loomis6
09-27-2004, 03:50 PM
The return of the zombie genre, and the next film within it.

With Resident Evil, Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead, and so many others, one can only draw the conclusion that Zombie films are making a big come-back. But how long can the revolution last, it seems as though all the original ideas are being eaten up faster and faster. Eventually the genre seems like it'll die out again, and lay doormant for another 2 of 3 decades. So how can the genre stay alive? Give your own ideas if you've got any?

The only thing I can come up with is an innevitable remake of DAY OF THE DEAD. And perhaps another "ASH" film, whether it be a new installment of ED, or a remake, or even adding the charecter to a VS. film.

Roswell
09-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Well, the fact that Land of The Dead is out next year, I'm sure the flood of zombie film will continue to come for awhile

Maxvayne
09-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Return of the Living Dead 4 and 5 are coming out. I think that will push it up. After that Land of the Dead....then a break.

boogeyman87
09-27-2004, 04:32 PM
I say remake Day of the Dead in another 6 or 7 years. After that it doesnt really matter. Zombie films arent rockect science. Some can be but it doesnt mean they cant release the standard zombie attacking city or town or girl or whatever. Just add 1 new ingrediant and it will be ok.

zombie commando
09-28-2004, 07:51 AM
I say remake Day of the Dead NOW! Strike when the iron's hot, after Land of the Dead the zombie genre is going to be filled with competition. Zombie flicks will be coming out left and right.

I felt D. Snyder did an excellent job with Dawn, simply phenomenal, he NEEDS to do Day of the Dead........

Chomp_on_this
09-28-2004, 10:29 AM
I have a better idea....remake Day of the Dead to Romero's original script idea. OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

All I have to say is...its about damn time more DESCENT zombie films are made. But with all the descent ones come the not-so-descent ones i.e....House of the Dead, Resident Evil 2, and what looks like Day of the Dead: Contagium.

The only thing is, Shaun of the Dead was the only original Zombie idea. All the others were based off games or a movie being remade, or a sequal. That's why I think Shaun of the Dead is by far the best zombie film to come out of the recent plether of them.

loomis6
09-28-2004, 11:09 AM
I also enjoyed Shaun Of The Dead. It actually entertained me in more ways then a comedy should. Anyway you are absolutely right, the Zombie genre is running out of original ideas.

Silverpsycho
10-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
I have a better idea....remake Day of the Dead to Romero's original script idea. OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

All I have to say is...its about damn time more DESCENT zombie films are made. But with all the descent ones come the not-so-descent ones i.e....House of the Dead, Resident Evil 2, and what looks like Day of the Dead: Contagium.

The only thing is, Shaun of the Dead was the only original Zombie idea. All the others were based off games or a movie being remade, or a sequal. That's why I think Shaun of the Dead is by far the best zombie film to come out of the recent plether of them.
Right on! I totally agree! :D

Chuck D
10-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by zombie commando
I felt D. Snyder did an excellent job with Dawn, simply phenomenal, he NEEDS to do Day of the Dead........

Sounds dumbass... but I'd like to see Romero do it again...

zombie commando
10-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ChuckyDarko
Sounds dumbass... but I'd like to see Romero do it again...

That's not going to happend. After Land of the Dead I highly doubt Romero will ever make another Living Dead flick....especially not one that retreads an area in the Living Dead mythos he has already put behind him.

Chuck D
10-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by zombie commando
That's not going to happend. After Land of the Dead I highly doubt Romero will ever make another Living Dead flick....especially not one that retreads an area in the Living Dead mythos he has already put behind him.

Good point... but one can always dream :)

atomic dog
10-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
and what looks like Day of the Dead: Contagium.

any update on this one?

Hall9ween
10-11-2004, 09:32 AM
You know, I really need to watch the original 'Dead Trilogy'. I have only seen bits of Night and Dawn and none of Day. I will be getting these soon, have no fear. I think a new DVD of Dawn is being released along with Dawn2004, with a new documentary on it. I think it's only being priced around the 7 mark -- I have a feeling I will be getting that along with Dawn2004.

The only zombie films that I have seen and disliked are Route 666 and House of the Dead, but then again, I probably haven't seen half as many zombie films as most people.

Films like Resident Evil (1 and 2) don't bother me, 'cause I already knew they were dumb movies before I went into the cinema. And I quite enjoyed the sequel, only for the fact that I was really in the mood for a dumb action flick with some explosions. The only really bad thing was the directors style of directing (difficult angles and weird shot types) and Milla's tits (kinda manky).

Willminus2
10-15-2004, 05:50 PM
I think they should make a television series that follows a group of people through a zombie epidemic. That would be really good.

zombie commando
10-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Willminus2
I think they should make a television series that follows a group of people through a zombie epidemic. That would be really good.

I thought of that awhile back. I think it would be awesome if HBO, instead of making endless series about greasy italian meatballs, could do something productive for a change and make a series we really want...........a ZOMBIE SERIES!

PS I would like to note that I have nothing against Italians. All my best friends are Italian, and I likes me some calzones.......

Mojo
10-15-2004, 11:02 PM
I should probably point out that no one has mentioned 28 Days Later. THAT was an original zombie movie that I thought was just as interesting as Shaun of the Dead (although not nearly as funny). If anything, I think that the popularity of that film is responsible for the seeming resurgence of zombie films, and I bless it for it.

Where does this zombie love-fest go from here? I can't predict it. They've got to come up with some new ideas or this return to old ideas will die out pretty soon... who knows?

Ska
10-16-2004, 09:07 AM
I don't consider 28 days Later a zombie movie.
Excerpt form "Shaun of the Dead":
"When the virus first broke out,people attibuted the virus to rage infected monkeys...but that's just stupid..." :)

I love the idea for a HBO zombie thing,they do most of there series really well,the only problem is that I don't get HBO....

bloody_pumpkin
04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
this is my idea, leave the original dead trilogy as it is and continue making sequels instead of remakes.

zombie commando
04-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by bloody_pumpkin
this is my idea, leave the original dead trilogy as it is and continue making sequels instead of remakes. Amen brother. If Land of the Dead is a success then expect a sequel. At least, that's what GAR recently said. He must of rekindled his movie making spirit.

MMyers89
04-30-2005, 11:23 AM
I want to see a sequel to the Remake of NOTLD. A REAL Dawn remake. I like the 2004 one a lot, but I also want to see one that is like the 1990 remake of night.

zombie commando
04-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MMyers89
I want to see a sequel to the Remake of NOTLD. A REAL Dawn remake. I like the 2004 one a lot, but I also want to see one that is like the 1990 remake of night. I'd rather see a sequel called Day of the Dead complete with military versus deadhead action.