PDA

View Full Version : Question about autographing memorabilia

MinioN
09-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Alright, Ive got a pretty decent Horror memorabilia collection (not as extensive as some of you, but Im content) and I happen to LOVE autographs. For instance, I had the H4 and H5 tins signed by both Danielle Harris and Ellie Cornell, my NOES boxset booklet signed by Robert Englund, and my "Return to Sleepaway Camp" t-shirt signed by the SC1 cast---but my question is: when it comes to autographing merchandise, does it raise or lower the value? I mean, for me, it's more about the sentimental value and most of my stuff are things that just mean something to me, and autographing it just makes it all the more interesting---but is it always a good idea? Example: A poster. I have the decently-common H4 and H5 Turkish posters and I plan on having them autographed next month by Danielle Harris---is this a good idea? Maybe the Turkish posters aren't as rare , as, say, an original H4 French poster---would that still be a good idea to sign? Would any collectors shy away from something like that (and when I say autograph, I mean by someone important in the film, not signed by a grip or a stand in lol)

Any info or opinions would be appreciated!

MrTaft
09-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Well, it depends if you were having the signatures personalised to you with a message and your name. If not, then I can't see a problem, but if so, judging from what I've seen on eBay in the past five years, it would not do so well.

thewolfman
09-21-2005, 04:30 AM
i would like the signed h4 and h5 but i'd also like an offical micheal myers mask but dont where to get one from

Wheatjedi
09-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Cinema Secrets sells an official Michael Myers mask based on the one seen in Halloween: Resurrection.

Back on topic... Mr. Taft hit the nail on the head. If an autographed item is personalized, it will lower the moneraty value of the item.

Myers63
09-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Signatures are a tough call.

Some purists believe that a signed item can actually detract from the value and re-catorgorize an otherwise "MINT" item to say an "Excellent" condition piece.

I own a few signed items in my collection, and I'm not one of the "purists". Taft is correct, however---personalized autographs that are re-sold sell poorly.

If a signature can be accompanied by a UACC evaluated "certificate of authenticity", then a signed item will always command a higher premium when re-sold(to an autograph collector)..

myers2004
09-22-2005, 06:58 AM
agrre totally that unless you sell to someone of the same name it detracts the price you can get. i know with sports cards they say it devaluses it but it also depends on if it is someone who collects autographs and honestly the big picture is like anything its only as valuable as what someon will give you for it.

dave626
09-22-2005, 07:01 AM
I'm torn on this issue. I have a John Carpenter auto signed "To Dave", while it wasn't signed for me, this Dave, and someone else named Dave, it doesn't bother me.

Not like I'll ever resell it, mind you. But I feel too that just plain autos w/no name or any distinguishing differences (Like Happy Halloween) are a dime a dozen. There's only a handful out there that don't sign, or didn't sign, as the case may be, in the key players of Halloween still out there for me, but I still check eBay and it's the same old stuff.

Then there are those out there trying to sell fakes and not so legit autos you have to watch out for. People like that need to be banned from doing business. What value are fake autos and when they take your money dishonestly (I'm not talking preprints) then that should be reigned it. It's scamming people of their money who don't know any better.

But still, to have a JC auto "to" me technically is kinda cool.

Evil on 2 legs
09-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Turkish posters are pretty common , see em all the time so I'd get that poster signed if I were you :)

Got my very rare "blue ski suit edition" Italian OHMSS poster signed IP at Pinewood , only Lazenby is of major value , the other signatures more for fun & not for value :D

Evil on 2 legs
11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
edited

MinioN
11-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Wow, Evil--I was just thinking of writing to Marcia Cross and the rest of the Despirate Housewives cast (I just got hooked to the show recently)--where did u write to her, if u dont mind me asking!

Evil on 2 legs
11-10-2005, 06:07 PM
I really doubt she'd reply at this time , being very busy with DH and all , you'd prob only get a pre-print.

I'd say wait until DH cancels , your chances would be much much better ;)

jmb_052
11-10-2005, 07:38 PM
If anyone wants my autograph, send me a PM and we can work something out.

ironman7845
11-11-2005, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by jmb_052
If anyone wants my autograph, send me a PM and we can work something out.

I'll remember that. :D

ironman7845
11-15-2005, 05:13 PM
What about autographing lobby cards rather than posters? Does this decrease the value of the items? I know an F13 fan that does this.

Evil on 2 legs
12-05-2005, 06:04 PM
If the lobby is very very rare I reckon it'll increase it.

If the lobby is common it doesn't really matter.

Depends from collector to collector really :)