PDA

View Full Version : Making a Halloween CD - need a little help

PoorHarvey
09-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Hey gang. I need some advice for a Halloween themed CD I'm trying to create. I've wanted to do this for a while and had a really great list once but I must've thrown it away. Anyway here's what I have so far and I was hoping you guys could suggest some songs to add to this. And the songs are in no particular order.

I'm Your Boogieman - Rob Zombie version
Red Right Hand - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Hush - Kula Shaker version from (IKWYDLS soundtrack)
Your Lucky Day in Hell - The Eels
Mr. Sandman - The Chordettes
Burn - The Cure
Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
Ghostrider - Rollins Band
And Fools Shine On - Brother Cane
Halloween Theme - John Carpenter
Laurie's Theme - John Carpenter

And I want the CD to start with the intro to the Halloween 4 score with the opening montage.

Any ideas to add to this list? Oh, and the Creed song from H6 or H7 won't be on there.

Thanks a bunch!

PoorHarvey
09-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Oh and Werewolves of London and Superstition might be on there, but Monster Mash proabably won't, as welll as the flying Purple People Eater.

Donnie Darko
09-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Ministry - Every Day Is Halloween
Misfits - Halloween (and also) Halloween 2

not much imput really, but its a shot. :)

PoorHarvey
09-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks. I'll check those songs out.

Kara Strode
09-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by PoorHarvey
Any ideas to add to this list? Oh, and the Creed song from H6 or H7 won't be on there.

Thanks a bunch!

ha, nice ;)

Do they have to be featured in horror movies? I noticed you have an IKWYDLS one on there. I know of a song I think might work. I could upload it and link you to it. Let me know!

NM, I found it online.

http://www.myspace.com/cupcakes

It's called Bloodthirsty

Could just be me though..lol

PoorHarvey
09-20-2005, 09:38 AM
No it doesn't have to be from a horror film per se. As long as it has a cool dark halloweenie vibe. I'll check that song out. Thanks!

Kara Strode
09-20-2005, 10:06 AM
you're very welcome. Hope you like it.

If you do, and it won't let you download it, just let me know.

MinioN
09-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Better Then Me --Sister Machine Gun (from the Scream soundtrack)

PoorHarvey
09-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks. I'll check that one out too.

Monolith
09-20-2005, 12:47 PM
black no1 by type o negative
lucky day by the eels

halo thirty one
09-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Monolith
black no1 by type o negative
i was going to mention this one, good choice. rob zombie seems like a safe bet for the cd, so i recommend "living dead girl" and "hands of death (burn baby burn)" with alice cooper. speaking of alice cooper, he's got a few songs that are creepy. the obvious ones would be "welcome to my nightmare" or some of the songs on the constrictor album that he did for friday the 13th part 6. one of my favorites of his is "steven." another song i like is "cemetery gates" by pantera.

if you want to just pick up a ready made cd with creepy songs you could always buy "songs in the key of X: music inspired by the x files." here's the track list:

1. X-Files Theme - Mark Snow
2. Unmarked Helicopters - Soul Coughing
3. On The Outside - Sheryl Crow
4. Down In The Park - Foo Fighters
5. Star Me Kitten - William S. Burroughs & REM
6. Red Right Hand - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds
7. Thanks Bro - Filter
8. Man Of Steel - Frank Black
9. Unexplained - Meat Puppets
10. Deep - Danzig
11. Frenzy - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
12. My Dark Life - Elvis Costello With Brian Eno
13. Hands Of Death (Burn Baby Burn) - Rob Zombie And Alice Cooper
14. If You Never Say Goodbye - P.M. Dawn
15. X-Files Theme (P.M. Dawn Remix) - P.M. Dawn

"down in the park" and "deep" are a couple of my favorites. i also like the strangeland and shocker soundtracks, but shocker is loaded with cheesy 80s metal.

Miss Informed
09-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Any track off of the Murderdolls cd.

halo thirty one
09-20-2005, 09:36 PM
damn, how can i forget donovan "season of the witch?"

Jenn
09-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Nice choices so far. It may be a little more Halloween-like in the sense of the holiday rather than the movie, but how about "I Put A Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins?

KruegerLives
09-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Jenn
Nice choices so far. It may be a little more Halloween-like in the sense of the holiday rather than the movie, but how about "I Put A Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins?
Or "I Put A Spell On You" by Cacklin' Bette Midler in the 1993 film "Hocus Pocus". That version is my favourite! lol :)

PoorHarvey
09-26-2005, 09:55 AM
I put a spell on you, as in the Creedence song? Interesting.
Halo you mentioned Rob Zombie, and I forgot about the song Dragula, which is bad ass. It should go nicely on there. Thanks for the continued recommendations everyone. This is going to be a great CD.

PoorHarvey
09-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Oh and yes, I was going for the feel of Halloween, not necessarily just the Halloween films in general, although they will be the main influence.

Kara Strode
09-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I put a spell on you, as in the Creedence song? Interesting.
Halo you mentioned Rob Zombie, and I forgot about the song Dragula, which is bad ass. It should go nicely on there. Thanks for the continued recommendations everyone. This is going to be a great CD.

You so beat me to that. I was going to post with:

"Or, I Put a Spell on You by CCR?"

Drat! Did you check out that Cupcakes song?

PoorHarvey
09-26-2005, 10:13 AM
I tried but I couldn't get the song to play on myspace, which is weird because I usually can get all of them to play.

Kara Strode
09-26-2005, 10:17 AM
I tried but I couldn't get the song to play on myspace, which is weird because I usually can get all of them to play.

I'll upload it and send you the link on myspace, hun :)

PoorHarvey
09-26-2005, 10:43 AM
thanks!

halo thirty one
09-26-2005, 06:09 PM
let us know what your track list is when you're done, i might want to copy it.

ya know, another musician who reminds me of horror is marylin manson. also, i associate nine inch nails' "something i can never have" with halloween/fall. it's mainly because i listened to pretty hate machine all the time when i drove to see halloween 6 in the theaters back in 95 (saw it 4 times in the theaters.) there are parts of "something i can never have" that remind me of the halloween theme.

Kara Strode
09-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by halo thirty one
let us know what your track list is when you're done, i might want to copy it.

ya know, another musician who reminds me of horror is marylin manson. also, i associate nine inch nails' "something i can never have" with halloween/fall. it's mainly because i listened to pretty hate machine all the time when i drove to see halloween 6 in the theaters back in 95 (saw it 4 times in the theaters.) there are parts of "something i can never have" that remind me of the halloween theme.

ditto, always up for music

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 06:00 AM
I will. I might be up for burning the CDs and sending them to you guys and gals for free too, for all of your help in making this. Thanks!

Patrick

myers2004
09-27-2005, 06:13 AM
how is this comming along? ill try and look through all my stuff and see if i can find some for ya too. definately like what i see being on this and would love to get a copy.

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 06:16 AM
It's coming along pretty well. I've got a pretty good list to choose from now and I'm sorting them out right now. Hey, which Halloween theme do you like better, the one from the original, or the one from part II. Part II is more synthesized, and not just piano, but I think it's far superior.

Let me know.

halo thirty one
09-27-2005, 06:32 AM
i like most variations of the halloween theme, except for the electric guitar bit in part 6 and just about any techno junk that i have randomly heard over the years. i don't know how much time you have on the cd, but the opening track on halloween 4, with the moody music before the halloween theme, might be a good choice.

i think with all the suggestions you have, you ought to make it a 2 cd set.

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 06:41 AM
I agree, and if I had the Halloween 4 soundtrack that would certainly be the way I would start it. It's a bit of a toss up right now, I wanted it to either start like Halloween 2 with Mr. Sandman and go into the H2 theme, or start it with the H4 intor and go into the H4 theme. But since I don't have H4, although I'm trying to find it, I may have to opt for the H2 beginning.

Kara Strode
09-27-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm sure someone here has it. I'll ask around for ya.

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks!

Kara Strode
09-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks!

anytime :) glad to do it! I know who to go to, just gotta wait to see him online.

You might try PMing Ultimate Killer (is that what he goes by now? lol)

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 10:12 AM
Someone's already contacted me about it so thank you so much for your help!

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Ok, here's where I am so far. As in, these are the tunes that I have ready, and I have to track down some more.

Halloween II - John Carpenter
Haunted House - John Carpenter
Mommy's Little Monster - Social Distortion
Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
Behind My Camel - The Police
Revolve - The Melvins
Playground Lover - Air

I had to toss some out because they just didn't sound right, like the stuff from the Crow soundtrack just wasn't it.

I'll post more as I go along.

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 11:11 AM
I'd love to put "Harvest" by Neil Young just for the title but it's just not moody enough.

I still have to find these

I'm Your Boogeyman
Red Right Hand
Hush
Your Lucky Day in Hell
Mr. Sandman
Halloween 4 intro

I think I can get them all.

myers2004
09-27-2005, 01:13 PM
i would also include the techno versions but i am one of the rare ones who actually seem to like them. the 2 cd set does seem like a great idea also. ill see also if i can find anyone who has the h4 soundtrack one to ask might be nils

Kara Strode
09-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Hopefully he has a lot of what he needs now..lol

KruegerLives
09-27-2005, 01:22 PM
What about:
This is Halloween - The Nightmare Before Christmas

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Ok!

Due to some super help from Kara, Jenn, and Sean here's is what I've got so far.

Halloween 4 Main Theme - Alan Howarth
Halloween 2 Main Theme - John Carpenter
(I have the John Carpenter Collection as well as the Halloween 20th Anniversary Soundtrack)
Playground Lover - Air
And Fools Shine On - Brother Cane (from H5 coundtrack)
Hush - Kula Shaker
Revolve - The Melvins
Dragula - Rob Zombie
Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

All I'm missing is the H4 intro which I think I'll be getting and I'm Your Boogeyman by Rob Zombie and I think that should about round it out. Some last minute changes of course will be made I'm sure.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

myers2004
09-27-2005, 01:29 PM
looks like a great group of songs. ill have to try and download them all as soon as i get back online at my own house instead of thrying to download all this at libraries

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah, they all sound great. If you have any trouble getting any let me know and I'll try to email them to you.

Kara Strode
09-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok!

Due to some super help from Kara, Jenn, and Sean here's is what I've got so far.

Halloween 4 Main Theme - Alan Howarth
Halloween 2 Main Theme - John Carpenter
(I have the John Carpenter Collection as well as the Halloween 20th Anniversary Soundtrack)
Playground Lover - Air
And Fools Shine On - Brother Cane (from H5 coundtrack)
Hush - Kula Shaker
Revolve - The Melvins
Dragula - Rob Zombie
Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

All I'm missing is the H4 intro which I think I'll be getting and I'm Your Boogeyman by Rob Zombie and I think that should about round it out. Some last minute changes of course will be made I'm sure.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

whoa, I (and Sean) gave you 7 of those..woot go us!

Was glad to help

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Like I said you two made all the difference.

Thanks!

Jenn
09-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Psycho Killer is an excellent choice!

:D

PoorHarvey
09-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks Jenn. It was kind of a toss up as to whether or not to use the original studio version or the live version from the Stop Making Sense album. I went with the original.

I just added these 2

Pet Sematary (LIVE) - The Ramones
Just the Two of Us - Bill Withers (this might not really go but this is the song Laurie Strode sang on the way to school with Michael following her closely behind)

Also, I'm thinking of adding Murder by Numbers by the Police and taking off the other Police tune.

And thank you Jenn for your help, can't wait to get "you know what."

C_Bone
09-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Voodoo by Godsmack always put me in a Halloween mood!

Roswell
09-27-2005, 04:17 PM
"Ghostbusters Theme"?

Anyone?

PoorHarvey
10-07-2005, 07:14 AM
Hello again.

Ok, I think I've got everything I need. This is going to be agreat CD. Now, I still need a little advice because I'm using some songs from the soundtracks to Halloween, Halloween II, and Halloween IV and I'm having a little trouble choosing.

First of all I really wanted to center it around 1 movie but that's seems impossible at this point.

I need to know which theme you guys like better.

The original is good, but part II's is far superior IMO, but maybe a little too techno sounding. Alan Howarth's part IV is ok but seems a little hollow to me.

I have sound clips from parts I and II that I'll use and part II's sounds seem a little more haunting, but part I's are so classic that it's difficult to decide.

01. Halloween IV The Return (Intro only, Alan Howarth)
02. Halloween Main Theme (John Carpenter)
03. Iím Your Boogieman (Rob Zombie)
04. Donít Fear the Reaper (Blue Oyster Cult)
05. Hush (Kula Shaker)
06. Halloween 1978 (John Carpenter)
07. And Fools Shine On (Brother Cane)
08. Pet Sematary (The Ramones)
09. Red Right Hand (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds)
10. Empty Street (John Carpenter)
11. The Shape Enterís Laurieís Room (John Carpenter HII)
12. Your Lucky Day in Hell (The Eels)
13. Mommyís Little Monster (Social Distortion)
14. Dragula (Rob Zombie)
15. Michaelís Sister (John Carpenter)
16. Psycho Killer (Talking Heads)
17. Murder By Numbers (The Police)
18. Werewolves of London (Warren Zevon)
19. Just the Two of Us (Bill Withers)
20. The Operating Room (John Carpenter HII)
21. Was It the Boogeyman? (Halloween Soundtrack)
22. Mr. Sandman (The Chordettes)
23. Halloween II Main Theme (John Carpenter)

I'm also thinking of adding the song "Queer" by Garbage, although it doesn't really have anything to do with Halloween, it is so darn moody.

The biggest issue I'm having is which theme to pick. Should I center it around Halloween or Halloween II?

Let me guys know what you think.

Kara Strode
10-07-2005, 07:25 AM
I'll let someone else field the "what theme" question..but I like how you have the Halloween cuts thrown in with the songs to offer a lil break of sorts.

Can't wait to get this!

Roswell
10-07-2005, 07:32 AM
My Halloween CD this year contains the following

1. Creepshow Main Theme-John Harrison
2. Halloween Theme-John Carpenter
3. Sixth Sense Theme-James Newton Howard
4. Se7en Theme-Nine Inch Nails
5. Marilyn Manson-Sweet Dreams
6. Halloween II Theme-John Carpenter
7. Don't Fear The Reaper-Gus
8. Don't Fear The Reaper-Blue Oyster Cult
9. Suspiria Main Theme-Goblin
10. Black Hills Project Theme-Mark Warner
11. The Thing Main Theme-Ennio Morricone
12 and 13. Music from Dawn of The Dead-Goblin
14. The Fog Theme-John Carpenter
15. Halloween Montage (yes, that Silver Shamrock song)
16. Chariots of Pumpkins-John Carpenter, Alan Howarth

PoorHarvey
10-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks Kara. It was suprisingly difficult to pick those Halloween excerpts because there are so many great ones. I certainly wanted the CD to be woven around them though.

Mark, nice list. I haven't heard all of them so I'll have to check some of those out.