PDA

View Full Version : An Anchor Bay Mastering Blunder Resulting In A Gem

Myers63
09-02-2005, 10:13 PM
September 1998....Anchor Bay releases perhaps the greatest H1 packaging ever designed for a HalloweeN series vhs release in the form of the Limited Edition 20th Anniversary "10-31-78" boxed set. The print was amazing being that it was the first time in true Sterophonic sound...and the bonus materials were lavish and never repeated.

As we all know, the set was Limited to an edition of a mere 40,000 units Worldwide. Apparently, the edition was released in 2 waves of 20,000 units each. The first 20,000 units had been duplicated,packaged,and shipped when Anchor Bay realized a mastering blunder was causing static in the Dolby encoded audio tracks, and thus, a RARE collectible was born.

Anchor Bay issued a statement acknowledging the blunder, and offered replacements for those units numbered 00,001-20,000 by simply calling a Toll Free number to their marketing department. As it turns out, most buyers probably weren't aware of the company replacement offer(unless they were members of a halloweeN Webring board whose member(s) posted the info.

I was one of perhaps a VERY few who took advantage of the offer by placing my call to AB. Upon answering, their Service Rep simply asked the # of my edition, which tape was affected(which was always only the feature presentation on Tape 1), and my mailing info. NO eBay sellers(to my knowledge) who are selling this edition numbered 20,000 or below even mentions the garbled audio track...but they're the rarest of the 40,000(besides the replacement tape).

Within 2 weeks I received that "GEM" of a collectible(shown below as an attatchment) which I left SEALED since I knew very few would be around in years to come. It came factory sealed in a plain white "promo" box.

Oneilmyers78
09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Wow thats nice!

Franchise
09-03-2005, 12:08 AM
That is nice. I should check my set to see what number it is. It's one of the few Halloween VHS things I have left besides Return of Michael Myers and the Meda misprint.

MinioN
09-03-2005, 12:44 AM
I got that replacment tape as well, tho I opened mine. I know when I called they said to send them the defective tape...which I never did anway lol---I simply kept them both and never heard anything else about it

MrTaft
09-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Josh, I had forgotten you had that and that picture is amazing! How much? :D Kidding.

yensed
09-03-2005, 03:45 AM
That is Awesome! Imo, That is more then a gem! I would keep that close buddy!

myers2004
09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
the things id like to call you right now for having that. great item to have though and thanks for bringing it to our attention as im sure ill be looking on ebay even more now to try and find one of them.

H-Field Hero
09-06-2005, 02:20 PM
That is sweet Josh! That is a truly *rare* piece if I ever saw one.

By the way, I wanted to ask you... Will we be seeing any of your items up for sale on the board this fall? I know in years past at times you've collected a handful of items in which you wished to sell for various reasons. Just wondering if you were planning another one at some point or if you were content in not selling any more of your stuff.

Icebreaker_8605
09-07-2005, 08:00 AM
I love being schooled about Halloween. That was very interesting. What a nice rare VHS you've got yourself. After reading this, I checked out my H1 that I've recieved on eBay a long while back. Turns out mine is #14481. I thought I noticed something different by the audio, but never paid too much attention to it. It's pretty cool to know mine's a rare tape...but not as rare as the replacement tape you own there! :)