PDA

View Full Version : Alot of Mask questions (buying as well as converting)

MinioN
08-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Alright, I broke down and said "screw it"--Im gonna buy a mask from one of these online mask makers. I'd been putting it off awhile because there are so many out there, not to mention that they can get pretty pricey...so my question is this---I want the most authentic-looking Halloween 1 mask available (within reason, Im not gonna pay $5000 for an original Shatner mask)--so which one is the one to get? I was really looking at the Warlock, which is is just plain awesome, but Im looking for a pure Halloween 1 feel, not so much H2, if that makes any sense. Any help would be appreciated...

I also have a few other questions regarding converting a mask...I have a '98 (or maybe a '99, not sure) Shatner mask and Im converting it...anyone have any real specific instructions on doing this? What I want to know is the following:

--what paint to use (brand? specific color?)

--the Eyebrows---what the hell do I do with them? Paint them white? Repaint them? any help here?

--the Hair---some people say "cut the hair" , some dont--any specifics???

--do I cut the neckline at all?

--weathering. Best ways to do this (as specific as possible, please)...I hear to use charcoal....any more info on this???

Again, thanx for any and all help guys!

MyersFan75
08-05-2005, 02:59 PM
If you're wanting an accurate H1 mask, I would give you three options.

1.) Second Stab by Lee Romaire.
http://www.michael-myers.net/myersgallery/album79
It really has that elusive H1 feel that many masks fail to grasp. These were originally priced at around $250.00, but Lee supposedly felt they were sold way too cheap and boosted it to a whopping $400.00!!!

2.) NightmareMan78' by Justin at NightowlPro.
This is a classic mask - it's arguably the first "huge" H1 mask as far as an independent mask making is concerned. These are no longer in production, but you can find them around E-Bay from time to time or over at the CGP Boards, TheHMA, or MM.net.

3.) The Psycho - by Justin at NightowlPro.
A more recently done mask and another amazing piece. As far as I know their are currently orders being accepted, but I believe there will be another run. Nils can be of more help in this area.

And for a possible 4th option, try the Whitey also made by Lee Romaire - it's an amazing piece, and I myself usually seem to like it as apposed to the Second Stab.

Check out the Myers Mask Gallery at www.michael-myers.net for more information.

Now, for some information on weathering. I can see that you are intent on a successful conversion, so it will take some time. Nils may be of more assistance in this department once again. If you own a 98' or 99' Shatner, you will definately need to rehair it for a more accurate look. The neck will need to be trimmed a little shorter, and the eyes will need to be cut greatly. Spray paint is more accurate to the original, but it's not a good idea. Keep some flesh tones around the neck area, as it comes out nicely. Make sure you have those eyebrows whitened, and perhaps go over the mask with a blow-dryer as most pictures of these I have seen have had a distorted lower facial section. It is usually bloated and doesn't cash in that Myers look that you're wanting to achieve. Airbrushin IS an option for weathering, but charcoal or fine detailing with a pencil or powder could work as well. I am certain that Nils will give you a wider list of options on weathering, as I have only done one conversion. There are plenty of other masks out there that are fine, even though they are not as close as the above options listed, they are still cheaper and are finely sculpted. Check out www.jackintheboxmasks.com or www.boogeymanmasks.com for some other possibilities.

:)

larry-new
08-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Or option #5...wait a little bit. I've read on Cemetary Gates boards that a new H1 mask is in the works....hopefully based off the same Warlock mask. I too have been wanting a true H1 and this may be THE one to get.....................Larry

MyersFan75
08-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by larry-new
Or option #5...wait a little bit. I've read on Cemetary Gates boards that a new H1 mask is in the works....hopefully based off the same Warlock mask. I too have been wanting a true H1 and this may be THE one to get.....................Larry

I just don't see potential in a H1 mask based off the Warlock. It's features are way more H2-ish and the shape and size of the mask fits more like when it was worn on Dick Warlock. But hey, CGP does great work so we I can't judge the project until I see it.

;)

TaddSays
08-05-2005, 11:11 PM
It's all personal preference really. If you were to ask me what mask I would get right now, I'd definetely say the Psycho. It looks completely accurate in all of the pictures I've seen. Even in bright lights, outdoors, everywhere it looks great. But thats just me.

MinioN
08-06-2005, 01:15 AM
I really fell in love with the Psycho...tho I hear theres a waiting line and I dont even know how much they go for but I emailed them about it anyway...a totally kickass mask--thanx for the help guys!

Nils
08-06-2005, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by MyersFan75
1.) Second Stab by Lee Romaire.
http://www.michael-myers.net/myersgallery/album79
It really has that elusive H1 feel that many masks fail to grasp. These were originally priced at around $250.00, but Lee supposedly felt they were sold way too cheap and boosted it to a whopping $400.00!!!

Actually, Lee has reduced the price from $400 to $285. I would definitely recommend to get the Second Stab. :)

Now, for some information on weathering. I can see that you are intent on a successful conversion, so it will take some time. Nils may be of more assistance in this department once again. If you own a 98' or 99' Shatner, you will definately need to rehair it for a more accurate look. The neck will need to be trimmed a little shorter, and the eyes will need to be cut greatly. Spray paint is more accurate to the original, but it's not a good idea. Keep some flesh tones around the neck area, as it comes out nicely. Make sure you have those eyebrows whitened, and perhaps go over the mask with a blow-dryer as most pictures of these I have seen have had a distorted lower facial section. It is usually bloated and doesn't cash in that Myers look that you're wanting to achieve. Airbrushin IS an option for weathering, but charcoal or fine detailing with a pencil or powder could work as well. I am certain that Nils will give you a wider list of options on weathering, as I have only done one conversion. There are plenty of other masks out there that are fine, even though they are not as close as the above options listed, they are still cheaper and are finely sculpted. Check out www.jackintheboxmasks.com or www.boogeymanmasks.com for some other possibilities.

Well, as Dakota said, spray paint is no good option. You should use latex paint, or simply buy latex and mix some acrylic paint into it. Remember, when you wear the mask, the paint has to be stretchable. If you use normal paint without latex, it will crack once you put the mask on. As for weathering, airbushing is an option, but you need skills and experience to get satisfying results. I would also suggest charcoal which can be applied with brushes. I'd suggest you to give it a first try on a piece of paper, so that you see how much pressure creates what grade of shading.

I just don't see potential in a H1 mask based off the Warlock. It's features are way more H2-ish and the shape and size of the mask fits more like when it was worn on Dick Warlock. But hey, CGP does great work so we I can't judge the project until I see it.

And once again, Dakota is totally right! ;) It wouldn't be possible to base Terry's new H1 mask on the Warlock. The Warlock has an extraordinary wide face, to recreate the look of the mask worn by Dick Warlock. The eyes are squinted and the whole face is stretched out. To get an accurate H1 mask, the face must be long instead of wide, since Nick Castle had this kind of horse head. :)

OldMyersHouse78
08-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by MinioN
Alright, I broke down and said "screw it"--Im gonna buy a mask from one of these online mask makers. I'd been putting it off awhile because there are so many out there, not to mention that they can get pretty pricey...so my question is this---I want the most authentic-looking Halloween 1 mask available (within reason, Im not gonna pay $5000 for an original Shatner mask)--so which one is the one to get? I was really looking at the Warlock, which is is just plain awesome, but Im looking for a pure Halloween 1 feel, not so much H2, if that makes any sense. Any help would be appreciated...

I also have a few other questions regarding converting a mask...I have a '98 (or maybe a '99, not sure) Shatner mask and Im converting it...anyone have any real specific instructions on doing this? What I want to know is the following:

--what paint to use (brand? specific color?)

--the Eyebrows---what the hell do I do with them? Paint them white? Repaint them? any help here?

--the Hair---some people say "cut the hair" , some dont--any specifics???

--do I cut the neckline at all?

--weathering. Best ways to do this (as specific as possible, please)...I hear to use charcoal....any more info on this???

Again, thanx for any and all help guys!

First. Get rid of the eyebrows!! They don't really belong.
Well it depends on the hair and how long it is. If it looks tacky then hell yes cut the hair a LITTLE. You don't want it to look dorky either way. Charcoal is the best way to do it or so I saw and was told!! Cutting the neckline isn't a great idea unless you want to wear it. But that is my opinion!!:D Well if you want a weathered look try maybe a little of a dark color and wipe it off with a sponge. To give it the dirty look. Don't know what brand of paint to use. Certainly not a cheap kind!!

You Welcome:D !

MyersFan75
08-06-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Nils
Actually, Lee has reduced the price from $400 to $285. I would definitely recommend to get the Second Stab. :)

Yeah, I just noticed that yesterday after I posted my reply. :D - it's a good thing he reduced the price, that was insane!!

Originally posted by Nils
Well, as Dakota said, spray paint is no good option. You should use latex paint, or simply buy latex and mix some acrylic paint into it. Remember, when you wear the mask, the paint has to be stretchable. If you use normal paint without latex, it will crack once you put the mask on. As for weathering, airbushing is an option, but you need skills and experience to get satisfying results. I would also suggest charcoal which can be applied with brushes. I'd suggest you to give it a first try on a piece of paper, so that you see how much pressure creates what grade of shading.

See, I told you. You can't go wrong with Nils in this department. ;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Nils[i]
And once again, Dakota is totally right! ;) It wouldn't be possible to base Terry's new H1 mask on the Warlock. The Warlock has an extraordinary wide face, to recreate the look of the mask worn by Dick Warlock. The eyes are squinted and the whole face is stretched out. To get an accurate H1 mask, the face must be long instead of wide, since Nick Castle had this kind of horse head. :)

Exactly. You're better off just purchasing one of the aforementioned masks - they are fantastic and no matter what mask you choose you WILL be happy with it. If you could even find a Whitey floating around those things are amazing!! The latex is softer than on most masks however and the hair is like a dolls, but the mask is really, really cool. So, have you made a decision? ;) :D

Nils
08-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I just noticed that yesterday after I posted my reply. :D - it's a good thing he reduced the price, that was insane!!

Exactly. You're better off just purchasing one of the aforementioned masks - they are fantastic and no matter what mask you choose you WILL be happy with it. If you could even find a Whitey floating around those things are amazing!! The latex is softer than on most masks however and the hair is like a dolls, but the mask is really, really cool. So, have you made a decision? ;) :D

Whiteys are great....I hadve one and it was great...really really nice!! :)

MinioN
08-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Well, Im in contact with Lee about the Second Stab...seems they are only doing 26 more and they're done---Im also waiting to hear back about the Psycho--I love both of them and itll come down to price, basically...$285 is very reasonable, IMO---I just didnt wanna fork out $400+ so, unless the Psycho is under $250 or so, Im gonna go for the Second Stab...but you guys are right, I cant really go wrong with either--thanx again! Ill let u guys know when I make my final choice and Ill post pics of the chosen mask and the Shatner when Im finished!

MyersFan75
08-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by MinioN
Well, Im in contact with Lee about the Second Stab...seems they are only doing 26 more and they're done---Im also waiting to hear back about the Psycho--I love both of them and itll come down to price, basically...$285 is very reasonable, IMO---I just didnt wanna fork out $400+ so, unless the Psycho is under $250 or so, Im gonna go for the Second Stab...but you guys are right, I cant really go wrong with either--thanx again! Ill let u guys know when I make my final choice and Ill post pics of the chosen mask and the Shatner when Im finished!

Sounds good - glad we could help.

;)

MinioN
08-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Well, after some deep thought I decided on...

(***drumroll***)

the Second Stab. I talked to both Lee and Justin about the Second Stab and the Psycho. Both were great guys and were very helpful. The Second Stab is, like you guys said, $285 shipped while the Psycho was abit lighter on the pocket @ $250. What it came down to, for me anyway, were 3 things. For one, I dont plan on wearing the mask (it's too valuable, IMO). If I want a mask to wear, I have my 98 Shatner that Im working on. I plan on actually taking my coverall and the new mask Im buying and putting them on a mannequin to display so I can have a realistic Myers in my room all the time. Since Im not wearing it, the SS just looks abit more authentic when on display, IMO.
Also, another selling point for me was the very limited production run. From what Ive gathered from heresay (and I could be wrong), the first production of the SS had only like like 30 or 40 units total...this second shipment will be 26 and, according to the site, it will be over then. That added to the collectability for me.
And finally, the wait time. I heard that the Psycho takes close to 6 months between payment and shipping (which is understandable), while the SS is supposed to be closer to 3 months...however you scratch it, I think Im gonna be very happy with the mask, and, for the last time, thanx again for the help guys.

MyersFan75
08-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Nice choice.
I can understand on the wait - it can be killer.

But don't worry - you'll love it and the Second Stab really is a great mask.

;)

Myers Insurance
08-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Hey, can you guys help me? I am looking for a used or new Myers mask for my upcoming Halloween fan film. I don't care what movie it's from, heck, I'll even take Blonde myers!

I just need to know if anyone can help me find one for really cheap cuz I don't have too much money.

MyersFan75
08-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Myers Insurance
Hey, can you guys help me? I am looking for a used or new Myers mask for my upcoming Halloween fan film. I don't care what movie it's from, heck, I'll even take Blonde myers!

I just need to know if anyone can help me find one for really cheap cuz I don't have too much money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MICHAEL-MYERS-CLASSIC-STYLE-MASK-01-NR_W0QQitemZ7536079344QQcategoryZ790QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

I can't assure you of the quality - and yes it's mass produced. Don't expect much - but look at the price!! If you can successfully fix it up a little, it will be great for a Halloween fan-film. www.jackintheboxmasks.com is a great site as well if your looking for some higher quality masks - it will run you about 60-95 dollars total, depending on the mask you choose. Andrew is great though and he'll fix it the way you want it.

This is more of the "second story" in terms of Myers masks. If you're looking for the "third story", CGP, Nightowlpro and others are what you're looking for.

But for that price, I'd say go for the bid.

;)

MinioN
08-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Alright, here's another question I have in regards to rehairing my Shatner mask...how the hell do you do it? hahaha

Ive never rehaired a mask before so I would like to know:

--is it difficult?
--what kind of hair do I use and where do I buy it
--what do I use to adhere the hair to the mask
--any other specifics I should know beforehand

I just wanna know what Im getting myself into before I go and cause the mask to turn out really bad. If it's difficult, I'll just stick with the regular hair and style it, in which case, whats the best way to go about that?

Thanx again

MichaelAMyers78
08-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi guys,
I bought the "Killing Machine" from Nightmater Studios not too long ago. I would like to hear anyones input about that mask. I have some pics I would like to post but I don't know how at this time (I'm a newbie)
Thanks and I hope to hear from someone soon!

Myers Insurance
08-07-2005, 06:27 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MICHAEL-MYERS-CLASSIC-STYLE-MASK-01-NR_W0QQitemZ7536079344QQcategoryZ790QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

I can't assure you of the quality - and yes it's mass produced. Don't expect much - but look at the price!! If you can successfully fix it up a little, it will be great for a Halloween fan-film. www.jackintheboxmasks.com is a great site as well if your looking for some higher quality masks - it will run you about 60-95 dollars total, depending on the mask you choose. Andrew is great though and he'll fix it the way you want it.

This is more of the "second story" in terms of Myers masks. If you're looking for the "third story", CGP, Nightowlpro and others are what you're looking for.

But for that price, I'd say go for the bid.

;)

Thanks for the eBay link, I'm trying to stay under 20 dollars. I might take that bid, but I'm probably not going to start shooting til next year. Thanks though.

ShadowX81
08-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Myers Insurance
Thanks for the eBay link, I'm trying to stay under 20 dollars. I might take that bid, but I'm probably not going to start shooting til next year. Thanks though.
Trust me you are not gonna get one for under 20 dollars. Even the dont post ones dont cost that little.

If you want a myers mask for that little i suggest spraypainting you face white.

Myers Insurance
08-07-2005, 09:20 PM
I know around October and September, the Hot Topic up here has some Myers masks for about 16 dollars and they come with netting to keep gnats out and to make it look like Myers has...

The Blackest Eyes. The Devils Eyes.

MyersFan75
08-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Like the link I posted, the masks that are sold in stores costing 40-50 dollars are only worth the $6.50 starting bid on E-Bay. The masks are horrible, and your not gonna get top-notch quality buying one, but I mean if you want it get it.

For buying the hair I would definately recommend www.thewoolery.com. First, you'll need some tacky glue or other appliance and rip hunks out of the "hair-tail" they send you. This is what I've heard happens to most who receive their hair from there. You'll need to rip hunks of that out and usually trim it to get it all right. Make a line of glue, and simply line the ends of the cut hair onto the glue and set it forward. Once it's dry you can bring it back and stlye it up. You'll most likely be using layers so it will take more than one go. Hairing a mask is a pain in the ass as said by most mask makers I've known. If you need more help, I would seriously recommend www.thehma.net. You won't be dissapointed in the help you can get from these guys. Oh, and you may also use a blowdryer when hairing masks as well, just to make the glue set faster.

EOH
02-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Can someone please update these links?

Joe Kerr
04-09-2007, 01:03 PM
anyone doing DP '03 to RZ conversions?

'cause i need some help

slaughterhouse
05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
making a myers mask, especially. EASIER said than DONE....so true.