PDA

View Full Version : Another seller has those "Halloween" Lobby sets

larry-new
07-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Here we go again....another seller has mysteriously unearthed the long lost US "Halloween" lobby sets. I think we all know by now that these things are FAKES. Why in the hell do they keep peddling them?........................Larry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7533861560&category=60306&rd=1

Superman
07-26-2005, 01:54 PM
And we're supposed to know they're fake because....?

larry-new
07-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Because there were no US lobbies printed. These supposed US ones are cheap copies of the Australian set. Billy Kirkus sold his Australian set to an infamous dealer in Rochester NY a long time ago who then took Billy's generosity and simply began printing these. The seller made fakes out Billy's real set and began selling the "newly found" (FAKES) on Ebay.
Also because I happen to have a set and I can guarantee these are as fake as a 3 dollar bill....................Larry

Superman
07-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by larry-new
Because there were no US lobbies printed. These supposed US ones are cheap copies of the Australian set. Billy Kirkus sold his set to an infamous dealer in Rochester NY who simply began printing these. Paul aka Taft can confirm this as well.
Also because I happen to have a set and I can guarantee these are as fake as a 3 dollar bill....................Larry Man..you sure know your stuff. Thanks . :)

H-Field Hero
07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
perhaps this seller is unaware of that. He seems to be very honest with his dealing. For instance, he openly and specifically mentions when a poster he is selling is a reprint... something that is a lost art on ebay. I recently looked over his collection and ended up purchasing an original T2 one sheet from him.

It appears the deception is at the hands of the "infamous dealer in Rochester NY" as oppose to some of the sellers.

Myers63
07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Larry-New is right...the recent barrage of "long lost HalloweeN U.S. Lobbies" is at best suspicious. As he stated, the U.S. NEVER had a lobby set to promote HalloweeN. In fact, the closest thing we have are the set of 24 *press kit* 8x10's that were printed on high end photographic paper(later re-printed/bootlegged as glossies on cardstock). The aforementioned p-kit photos are usually sold on eBay as "U.S. lobbies" too.

Foreign lobbies are a tough purchase for the unknowing collector,imo. Some countries have legitimate re-printings of entire sets, with little to know discerning markings attributing to a reprint or an original. The main difference tends to be the card stock and/or the finish(flat or glossy).

In the end, it's a shame that someone would drop $75 on that re-printed Autralian set when, for about $50 more, you can get an original set in Excellent(common times used but not abused) condition. I'd much rather have a non-Mint *original* set than a fresh off the press bootleg set.

larry-new
07-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Believe me..the seller that has those on there now is famous (or infamous) in the movie poster collecting world as one that sells bootlegs or fake posters.
Like I said earlier, I own one of these sets and it is without a shadow of a doubt a total fake. The NSS information at the bottom is "pixelated" and that just would/COULD not have happened if these were truly printed in the 70's. The pixelation is unique to enlargements and scans. He knows he is selling a fake and he is counting on new collectors who simply don't know better....a disgrace......................................Larr y

Superman
07-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Believe me..the seller that has those on there now is famous (or infamous) in the movie poster collecting world as one that sells bootlegs or fake posters.
Like I said earlier, I own one of these sets and it is without a shadow of a doubt a total fake. The NSS information at the bottom is "pixelated" and that just would/COULD not have happened if these were truly printed in the 70's. The pixelation is unique to enlargements and scans. He knows he is selling a fake and he is counting on new collectors who simply don't know better....a disgrace......................................Larr y Tell e-bay what you have told us here and turn his ass in to e-bay. Why should someone give his or her hard earned money and get a fake product?

larry-new
07-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Ebay won't get involved. They could care less about the rampant fakes and forgeries as long as they get their cut. Just take a few moments and look at all of the "Cast signed" posters listed and tell me that Ebay gives a damn.....they don't.
I've read estimates that state as much as 75-80% of ALL items advertised as having authentic signatures are fakes....makes you think twice doesn't it?

Superman
07-26-2005, 06:39 PM
Ebay won't get involved. They could care less about the rampant fakes and forgeries as long as they get their cut. Just take a few moments and look at all of the "Cast signed" posters listed and tell me that Ebay gives a damn.....they don't.
I've read estimates that state as much as 75-80% of ALL items advertised as having authentic signatures are fakes....makes you think twice doesn't it? Yeah...which is why I will never get into collecting or careing if I have anything that is autographed unless I see it being done in person.

MrTaft
07-27-2005, 02:23 AM
I saw this set last night and laughed. Makes you wonder because I've bought some great items from that guy in the past and they were all the real deal. But as Larry said, there's no way he DOESN'T know he's selling fakes. What a world.

myers2004
07-27-2005, 06:36 AM
the fake signatures and even these fake lobby cards is why i got out of collecting sports cards and autographs. most of what i did have i have just given away just as a way to not even have to deal with the hastle. e-bay doesnt care as most of the online site dont as long as they do get thier cuts as was said. its all about the mighty dollar and as long as people continue to be foolish enough to keep paying they will keep selling.

H-Field Hero
07-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Believe me..the seller that has those on there now is famous (or infamous) in the movie poster collecting world as one that sells bootlegs or fake posters.Really? Hmm... You're more knowledgable than me so i'll take your word for it. I just purchased a $50 T2 rolled poster from him, which should be arriving today. In this particular instance i'm positive that it is an original because of the "tristar release" logo thats printed in the lower right corner... the reprints don't have those.

But yeah, i'm glad you pointed his tricks out, because I previously was under the thinking that this guy could really be trusted.

larry-new
07-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Not everything he sells is a fake or reprint. I've actually purchased things in the past from him that were authentic. Just a heads up that he is VERY well known as one who sells things that are REPRINTS or FAKES...........................Larry

horrornut
07-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Because there were no US lobbies printed. These supposed US ones are cheap copies of the Australian set. Billy Kirkus sold his Australian set to an infamous dealer in Rochester NY who simply began printing these. Paul aka Taft can confirm this as well.
Also because I happen to have a set and I can guarantee these are as fake as a 3 dollar bill....................Larry

I have absolutely no reason to doubt that there were no US lobby cards printed for HALLOWEEN. I was operating theatres when H1 was released but don't remember anything but the original one sheet.
Has anyone researched to determine why there were no lobby cards printed and released to theatres? Just curious.:confused:

larry-new
07-27-2005, 04:29 PM
I have been told it was simply a money issue. Compass (who released the film) did not have a lot of money for advertising and with a low budget horror movie I doubt they would have wanted to spend too much up front.......................Larry

horrornut
07-27-2005, 06:16 PM
I have been told it was simply a money issue. Compass (who released the film) did not have a lot of money for advertising and with a low budget horror movie I doubt they would have wanted to spend too much up front.......................Larry
Makes perfect sense Larry. That's the same reason the distributors of WRONG TURN never released any trailers in the US before the print was released to theatres. That was IMHO one of the reasons for the bad box office. I had to go to England to purchase a trailer.

larry-new
07-27-2005, 06:56 PM
I remember reading that the MPAA kept rejecting the trailers for "Wrong Turn" as too intense and that had something to do with so little publicity for that flick..................................Larry

MrTaft
07-28-2005, 03:53 AM
That color still set they made for H1... where was that used for promotion apart from newspapers?

larry-new
07-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Good question Paul.....Don't have an answer for that one. Perhaps someone who worked in a theatre remembers seeing those on display.
I know that some theatres actually put up b&w stills in the lobbies to promote movies........................Larry

ten31
07-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by horrornut
Makes perfect sense Larry. That's the same reason the distributors of WRONG TURN never released any trailers in the US before the print was released to theatres. That was IMHO one of the reasons for the bad box office. I had to go to England to purchase a trailer. I know in Canada they released the trailers for Wrong Turn.

horrornut
07-28-2005, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by ten31
I know in Canada they released the trailers for Wrong Turn.

I must correct something I posted earlier. My WRONG TURN came from Canada....NOT England. It was an Ebay purchase from a Canadian seller. Sorry, my bad!

myers2004
07-28-2005, 07:51 AM
either way i guess though id take the fakes as long as free just to add another item to my small collection

MrTaft
07-28-2005, 06:25 PM
There's now another one on eBay from a different seller. He seems to think it's the real deal himself, but I am having a hard time believing that.

loomis26
08-06-2005, 04:39 AM
Here we go again....another seller has mysteriously unearthed the long lost US "Halloween" lobby sets. I think we all know by now that these things are FAKES. Why in the hell do they keep peddling them?........................Larry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7533861560&category=60306&rd=1

some people who do that are ass holes