PDA

View Full Version : DOTD 2004 DVD Review Thread

Creepingmouth
09-25-2004, 04:56 PM
What do you think?
I liked the last two minutes

Blackesteyes
09-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Still aint out here, i want this dvd so much!

Jinxed
10-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Alright so I guess this is the official Dawn 04' dvd thread. Well guys I just picked it up an hour ago and well, enough talky time to go watch.

Franchise
10-25-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm going to change this one to a review of the DVD thread.....

Oliver
10-26-2004, 03:23 AM
The DVD extras weren't up to much, the acting on them was poor, but its the movie that counts, and its a fantastic one at that. I way prefer it to the original, love the music and particularly the opening credits. The zombies look fantastic, a lot of people seem to dislike the way they run, but I love it, makes them so much more deadly.

atomic dog
10-26-2004, 03:35 AM
i'm picking this up after work.

Jinxed
10-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Well thus far I checked out "Andy's Last Days" and it wasn't half bad. It made me chuckle.

atomic dog
10-26-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Jinxed
Well thus far I checked out "Andy's Last Days" and it wasn't half bad. It made me chuckle.
how did you get it early?

Jinxed
10-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by atomic dog
how did you get it early?

I went to Wal-Mart after midnight last night, there was a huge display. 3 other little shits were getting it to.

zombie commando
10-26-2004, 01:46 PM
I just got it. I'll let you dead fucks know what I think about it after taking a gander.

Chris_N
10-26-2004, 01:48 PM
did anyone get the dvd with the metal slip cover?

Michaeleon
10-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Chris_N
did anyone get the dvd with the metal slip cover?
I got a slip cover but itís cardboard.

I went to Best Buy around 3pm and was able to snag one with the bonus disc. They had a large supply. The DVD's with the bonus disc were marked as so with a sticker on cover.

The few scenes that were extended/had more gore were fun to watch. I especially liked that gorier scene with the chainsaw. Every time I see it I just have to say 'that had to hurt like a Mother!í
I watched 'Andy's Last Days' and the 'Special Bulletin' features on the DVD. A bit cheesy for me, but I had a few chuckles in the end. I thought it was odd how the anchorman in the Special Bulletin feature told his wife&kids he was coming home at the end. Okay, so when the shit has already hit the fan and the apocalypse has already unfolded around you- you think of your family? God bless you, sir. :p

'Surviving the Dawn' and 'Attack of the Living Dead' are my favorite out of the special features.

The bonus disc was alright, I liked the storyboard comparisons the most- we get 'the bloated woman attacks' drawings, yeah!

atomic dog
10-26-2004, 04:27 PM
did anyone get a chapter card with theirs?

Michaeleon
10-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by atomic dog
did anyone get a chapter card with theirs?
Nope, I was wondering the same thing. I guess they opted to save money by cutting it- probably as a result of the cardboard slip cover.

atomic dog
10-26-2004, 05:13 PM
did anyone watch the special report? did you see the part when they were talking to a doctor talking about the dead and the other doctor got bit in the neck by the dead strapped to the bed? well the zombies tatoo was of the mamoth that boba fett wears on his shoulder.

Chris_N
10-26-2004, 05:13 PM
nope, no card here either. apparently future shop had a limited supply with metal sleeves, but i had to wait till after work and they were out by then. oh well.

:(

Michaeleon
10-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Chris_N
nope, no card here either. apparently future shop had a limited supply with metal sleeves, but i had to wait till after work and they were out by then. oh well.

:(
Just your luck, eh?

I remember when the single disc Dawn of the Dead Divimax version came out. By the time I got out of school they were all sold out at Best buy- I was shocked. I eventually resorted to getting it at kmarts. The horror!

Oh, and I just now noticed how none of the trailers/teasers were included in the special features. That's rather unfortunate because I really liked that one early trailer with the music "It's a Wonderful Life" by Sparklehorse.

boogeyman87
10-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Michaeleon
Just your luck, eh?

I remember when the single disc Dawn of the Dead Divimax version came out. By the time I got out of school they were all sold out at Best buy- I was shocked. I eventually resorted to getting it at kmarts. The horror!

Oh, and I just now noticed how none of the trailers/teasers were included in the special features. That's rather unfortunate because I really liked that one early trailer with the music "It's a Wonderful Life" by Sparklehorse.

Yes! That song fit the the trailer very nice. I just got it today. Apparently there was a huge line in the store just to get this? I had no idea it was gonna be that big of a release. I've yet to watch it , but this saturday or sunday feels like a good time. All i have to do now is buy the orginal. But that 4 disc one is sorta too much for me right now.

jmb_052
10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Im thinking of staying home from school Thursday, tis a half day and a B day at that. (Block Schedual) I might rent it, see if it is good. My sisters finally bringing my DOTD 4 disc set on monday.

Chomp_on_this
10-26-2004, 07:17 PM
My, my, my...where to begin? LoL
I guess not having a huge screen in your face with big monsterous speakers on both sides of you, you tend not to be distracted by those little things in the theatre that may make the movie seem great, when in reality it isnt.

Does Zack Snyder even know the definition of characterization? WOW! Half of the "main"(I use the term loosely) characters are so goddamn one dimensional, its almost as if they were never even there! There is a good handful of characters that were so paper thin, they werent even needed...that slut blonde chick, the third security guard, the redhead's father, the older truck driving lady, the old gay guy, that other old guy with the cap, that pregnent foreign lady...these were such shit characters, I cant even remember their names! It was so hard to get a feel for any of the actual MAIN characters because the story would dodge back and forth so much between each person. You never really got to know any of them and how they would react in certain situations. And then when a scenario happened to them, where they got bitten, or they were about to die...you just didnt care! Does Snyder really think people have that short of attention spans?

Do you guys think there were enough one liners in this film? LoL

Now the zombies...how aweful. What happened to the longer your dead the less your body can move as a re-animated corpse rule? Even towards the end of the film, the zombies were running and jumping at full capacity. As of right now, Chomp says NO to running zombies, NO! I say leave that for the infected in 28 Days Later.
Don't even get me started on the noises they made. They're feline-like hisses were the least bit scary and are nothing compared to the moans and graons we are so used to. I will give the make-up effects team credit though; they did look half descent with severed limbs and rotting flesh.

Finally, lets move to the mall. Was THAT even needed? Where was the sense of security, confinement...where was the HUNT? This mall had the least bit of atmosphere to it, that it ALSO wasnt even needed. It just seemed as if they moved in, they were safe, then they left in those rigged up buses. It went by so goddamn fast.

Gee Chomp, was there any thing good about the film? Well, there were a few good things. I loved the communication between the gunshop owner across the street and Ving Rhames' character. I think that was the best developed relationship in the whole flick. And the last 20min or so were also descent. At this point, the movie that went by, felt so hollow, that I couldnt wait to see some zombie bustin' action. It seemed so overwhelming...kinda like when you dont eat for a day, then all of the sudden you go to Taco Bell and fill up and it just sits in your stomach like a rock....well thats kinda how this movie felt to me after viewing it.

Oh, and I loved Ken Foree's "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth" line...it gave me the chills

The remake basically lacked EVERYTHING that made Romero's verision so kickass, and replaced it with high action sequences. But in the end, they werent even enough to save this film from disaster.

*1/2 stars out of **** stars.

As for the DVD itself. The package art was pretty unorignal. The video/audio departement seemed above par...it looked good to me.

I havent watched any of the extras yet, but I think I may have to watch the original DOTD tonight, just so I can remember why that movie kicks so much ass.

Asshole!

Nope, I was wondering the same thing. I guess they opted to save money by cutting it- probably as a result of the cardboard slip cover.

I thought this myself too. But did you guys get the advertisement slip...I think it had the Child's Play boxset on it, and a couple other horror DVDs. I was kinda pissed about that. I would much rather have my Chapter Titles Insert, than some stupid advertisement.

halo thirty one
10-26-2004, 08:43 PM
i have to agree with chomp. after re-watching the movie on dvd, i liked it much less than when i saw it in the theater. i'll save the money that i didn't use on this dvd to pick up shaun of the dead dvd in december.

Michaeleon
10-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
I thought this myself too. But did you guys get the advertisement slip...I think it had the Child's Play boxset on it, and a couple other horror DVDs. I was kinda pissed about that. I would much rather have my Chapter Titles Insert, than some stupid advertisement.
YES. I opened the case in search of my bonus disc and the first thing I see is that 'face' staring back at me. *crumples up and tosses aside*

Pesky Universal trying to imprint that image in our minds so when Seed is ready to come out- WE'LL march to the theater like zombies to see it! I got your number Universal, you can't fool me!

Very Nice, thorough review by the way. The film seemed to be on full throttle, scene by scene just flew by. While watching this at home, it seemed to be over before I knew it. The animal-like sounds the zombies made were one of the things I disliked most. When I seen that 8 minute preview before the film was released in theaters, I remember hearing Ana's husband letting out those wild noises. I thought 'uh-oh'.
I really didn't mind the fast-pace zombies that much, but I could have done without the unrealistic acrobatics some displayed (ie. Vivian jumping back up).
Iíd be lying if I said I didnít like the film, I thought it was enjoyable and all-around fun.

Well, after reading that, I canít wait to see your take on the special features. *laughs*

halo thirty one
10-26-2004, 08:56 PM
i think the recent verizon wireless commercial had better zombies in it. they had the classic moaning and groaning to them at least.

zombie commando
10-27-2004, 06:00 AM
Quite honestly I don't give a shit if the zombies are running around making weird noises, they can do whatever the writer wants them to do. We can't say for sure how zombies should act....we can only speculate, but who the fuck knows what disease they had, and what it was capable of.

The very begining and end are the best part of the entire flick. The credits sequences are superb, and even after watching this flick multiple times I still enjoy it. It's nihilistic, it's adrenaline producing, and it's worth the ride. Once you let go of the fact it has Dawn of the Dead plastered to it this movie makes one hell of a zombie apocalypse flick.

I would rank it high on the list of zombie flicks even if it doesn't come close to the Living Dead trillogy. You've got to at least admit it was MUCH better than 80-90% of the zombie plunkers out today.

Jinxed
10-27-2004, 06:13 AM
Alright, first off I want to say nice review chomp, I love your views on charecterization and what you said was so true. I think Zack seriously lacks that quality in DOTD. Such as Sarah Polley (Anna) could of easily been set up for a charecter like Barbara from Night of the Living Dead, but instead she's trying to get all fresh with some honkey. It would of been nice to focus on the original 4 mall goers.
and the dvd, those bastrads over at Universal have to make their widescreen and full screen logos bigger on the dvd covers. I popped the movie in yesterday and it was full screen....boy was I pissed, I packaged that fucker up so quick and exchanged it. Someone tell me, WHY THE HELL ARE THEY STILL MAKING DVD'S IN FULL SCREEN?
Also Michaeleon has got it right, where are those god damn trailers and t.v. spots? Those would of been nice.

halo thirty one
10-27-2004, 06:40 AM
WHY THE HELL ARE THEY STILL MAKING DVD'S IN FULL SCREEN?

the average joe doesn't like "those stupid black bars" on the screen. "my TV isn't big enough!" it's sad. i try to explain the purpose of letterboxing and tell them that once they get used to it and get into the movie they won't even notice them. all they say to me is "i'll just use the zoom function on my remote." to which i have no reply. i just turn around and walk away, shaking my head and feeling defeated.

Chomp_on_this
10-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by zombie commando
Quite honestly I don't give a shit if the zombies are running around making weird noises, they can do whatever the writer wants them to do. We can't say for sure how zombies should act....we can only speculate, but who the fuck knows what disease they had, and what it was capable of.

I totally agree, thats why I was fine with them in 28 Days Later. But when your baring the title Dawn of the Dead, and your claiming to be a remake of the 1979 cult classic, should you not at least carry some of the apects of Romero's film to the remake. I mean I didnt see ANY slow moving zombies. The only similar things I saw was it had a mall, had the same tagline, a few scprited lines were simialr, and 3 characters. I know that maybe Zack was trying to be original, but the fact is, the movie was unoriginal right from the day it was greenlit.

I do agree, the film had a great apocalyptic feel to it and was very energized at times. But that's basically all the movie focused on...it had no substance. And when it tried to bring substance into the picture, you just didnt care. And I do agree, it was better than some of the recent zombie flicks. Its basically nothing more, than a popcorn flick.

This movie could have EASILY passed without the remake status. I know people would claim that it was ripping off Romero's film, but I could have gone with the idea that they were paying homage to it, by including those apects into the film.

Alright, first off I want to say nice review chomp, I love your views on charecterization and what you said was so true. I think Zack seriously lacks that quality in DOTD. Such as Sarah Polley (Anna) could of easily been set up for a charecter like Barbara from Night of the Living Dead, but instead she's trying to get all fresh with some honkey. It would of been nice to focus on the original 4 mall goers.
and the dvd, those bastrads over at Universal have to make their widescreen and full screen logos bigger on the dvd covers. I popped the movie in yesterday and it was full screen....boy was I pissed, I packaged that fucker up so quick and exchanged it.

LoL..that sucks about the full screen crap...I too almost bought a fullscreen DVD myself!

But Jinxed you also brought up a great point. Anna could have been so much more. She could have been this great female lead, but some of the decisions made while making this film, took away from that ever happening.

See what happens! I swear to god that movie theatre is EVIL. Like I said, if you have big ass screen in front of you with 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound bombarding your senses, your gonna think almost any movie was kickass. It happened with TCM Remake, FvsJ, DOTD Remake, and yes even Suburban Commando(I was a big fan of Hulk Hogan as a kid). Then when you have the movie playing on your own tv screen, you are then able to see the movie for what its really worth.

Hall9ween
10-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Overall, it was a nice little DVD package for a fun movie. I didn't get why it was called the Director's Cut, when I couldn't see much difference between the film I saw in the cinema, to the film I watched on DVD.

Yea, the extras were OK. "Andy's Last Days" and the "Emergency Broadcast" were poorly acted, but they were alright.

As for the running zombies, I personally think fast moving zombies are alot more threatening than a bunch of slow moving zombies. I know the argument for the fact that these living dead people actually are the reanimated dead, so why do they have so much energy? Well, you know what, I don't know. I just felt more "threatened", (if that's the right word) when the zombies were fast moving.

The start of the movie was superb, I thought. Seeing surburban bliss transported from heaven to hell overnight was very well done, and had my heart pumping. All I need to do now is go out and buy the original Dawn of the Dead on the new Region 2 DVD -- when I have the money of course.

zombie commando
10-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
I totally agree, thats why I was fine with them in 28 Days Later. But when your baring the title Dawn of the Dead, and your claiming to be a remake of the 1979 cult classic, should you not at least carry some of the apects of Romero's film to the remake. I mean I didnt see ANY slow moving zombies. The only similar things I saw was it had a mall, had the same tagline, a few scprited lines were simialr, and 3 characters. I know that maybe Zack was trying to be original, but the fact is, the movie was unoriginal right from the day it was greenlit.

I do agree, the film had a great apocalyptic feel to it and was very energized at times. But that's basically all the movie focused on...it had no substance. And when it tried to bring substance into the picture, you just didnt care. And I do agree, it was better than some of the recent zombie flicks. Its basically nothing more, than a popcorn flick.

This movie could have EASILY passed without the remake status. I know people would claim that it was ripping off Romero's film, but I could have gone with the idea that they were paying homage to it, by including those apects into the film.

It did carry some aspects of the original, but to tell you the truth I am glad it was different. I am glad we didn't get another "shot for shot" Pyscho-like remake. I am glad the characters and the zombies were different.

I agree that the characters weren't as deep as the original. They were quite shallow as a matter of fact.......but this movie focused more on action than anything else. If they really wanted to focus on the characters they would have to sacrifice some of the kick ass actions scenes, and I really don't want that. Dawn of the Dead is a CLASSIC. You can't compete at all. You can't recreate the Mona Lisa, but you can provide entertaining shoot offs.

I think the biggest reason people rag on this movie is simply because it bears the Dawn logo. I personally don't give a shit if it was called "Attack of the Meatbags", it was an entertaining flick on many levels. It made my adrenaline kick in a few parts, and for that it's well worth the ride........regardless of what they want to call it to drum up interest.

Oh and by the way there were a few slow moving dead fucks during some scenes. I noticed when they went to the gunshop a few of those meatbags were quite slow on the take.

Halloween78
10-31-2004, 01:10 PM
I absolutly loved the movie on the DVD, and in theatres. Imho it will eventually turn into a classic. I just can't wait for Dawn of the Dead 2. The director said he would defenintly make one.

Superman
10-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Ok....so who can make me a copy of the Best Buy bonus disc? I would love to see that.

smokey
11-01-2004, 11:31 AM
those bastrads over at Universal have to make their widescreen and full screen logos bigger on the dvd covers. I popped the movie in yesterday and it was full screen....boy was I pissed, I packaged that fucker up so quick and exchanged it. Someone tell me, WHY THE HELL ARE THEY STILL MAKING DVD'S IN FULL SCREEN?
Also Michaeleon has got it right, where are those god damn trailers and t.v. spots? Those would of been nice.

When i went to the video store on the front they had it pretty clear which version it was. The widescreen is in white writing, fullscreen in black. It was very obvious to me.

I liked the dvd. There could've been a LOT more. Like, on the making of instead of wasting time on filming other stuff for the dvd. Trailers and other marketing campaigne stuff would've been nice. O wel, the movie is still kick ass. My mom loved it to death.

Michaeleon
11-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Superman
Ok....so who can make me a copy of the Best Buy bonus disc? I would love to see that.
Clark, you REALLY aren't missing much at all. In fact it was a bit disappointing to be honest. Let's just say next time I hear of them totting around some bonus disc for an upcoming DVD, I'm not even going to bother.

Creepingmouth
11-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Franchise
I'm going to change this one to a review of the DVD thread.....

wow I was goin to say "I didn't start such thread,there must be a mistake!"

anyway my question remains the same (if you wanna answer it,of course) what do you think about the dvd extra called "Andy's last days" and about all the other extras in general?

anyway let me say that the director's cut is really disappointing 'cause it's basically the same of the theatrical version

Rabbit in Red
11-02-2004, 02:34 PM
I was dissapointed with "Andy's Last Days." It really destroyed the likability of his character. I also bought the Full Screen version by accident. The so-called "Director's Cut" is weak. Although it did have a better intro to the mall. I did however enjoy the newscast thing. Cool stuff. I guess I can't complain too much...it's better than the barebones H2 Universal release

MichaelMyers
11-05-2004, 03:59 PM
I just got the DVD today and will watch it tonight.

Franchise
11-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Clark, you REALLY aren't missing much at all. In fact it was a bit disappointing to be honest. Let's just say next time I hear of them totting around some bonus disc for an upcoming DVD, I'm not even going to bother.

I've gotten almost all the bonus discs that they've had to offer and this one is like the rest. Bad. It's not really anything extra. It's just something that they use to get you to come there and buy their stuff. You'd be better off not wasting the gas or the time to go to Best Buy and get it.