PDA

View Full Version : New Don Post Mask...

ITSMEBILLY
07-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Does anyone own the new don post myers mask and if so is it worth buying?

In my collection Ive had 3 don post The Mask the first 2 were old molds the second one was a recent mold pull and was slightly more detailed.

The original two melted and the third is on its way out, Ohter thatn that I have a hand painted Ressurection mask and would like to keep getting masks. In this pic of the new don post it looks alot like the original as it was taken from the 75 kirk mold.

http://store.yahoo.com/partyamerica/mike-myers-mask.html

MischievousSpirit
07-17-2005, 11:31 AM
That mask actually looks a lot better than "The Mask" which I've had since the early 90's. The chin is all melted now. I'm considering picking up this mask. :)

The producer's of H9 shuold consider using this mask. :)

MyersFan75
07-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Actually, that is just nice because its a promo shot.
I have seen the mask from online user pictures and it is horrible. It may look better than the Don Post Chalkface as far as details are concerned, but its hair is very messy, the paintjob is too yellow, and it's COMPLETELY warped in a huge glob of latex. Nothing like the picture...

However, if you get a blow dryer and go over it for a while and have the latex stretched it will reduce and make the mask better. Also, the eyebrows are furry - rip them off. Underneath, you'll find perfectly good molded ones. Get some paint and airbrush the mask white. Take some blue paint or charcoal and bring out more details, or you could leave the details ALREADY on the mask show, but it would be reduced by the new layer of white paint. Cut the hair and add hair spray, LOTS of hair spray. Style it to what you want, and cut the eyes. Cut the neck and go over it with a blow dryer once again. It SHOULD look better.

:)

JasonVoorhees13
07-17-2005, 11:36 PM
MyersFan75..how about I just send you mine and you do it for me lol.

I have the mask and it looks pretty decent for a mass produced one.

MyersFan75
07-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by JasonVoorhees13
MyersFan75..how about I just send you mine and you do it for me lol.

I have the mask and it looks pretty decent for a mass produced one.

Ship it!!
I'll fix it up right away. ;)

Well, if you are talking about the yellowish version, it is much more detailed and accurate as far as facial details are concerned. However, it is warped once bought and the hair is a mess. Just try to do what I posted, it could only look better. It's not very expensive, Hell, it's cheap. So, it's not that big of a deal if you make a small error, just style the hair, definately cut it, cut the eyes and fix it the way you want.

ten31
07-18-2005, 08:10 AM
I've never seen the new DP mask in person but it doesn't look that bad in the link above. It does have a slight smirking look to it though.

MyersFan75
07-18-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by ten31
I've never seen the new DP mask in person but it doesn't look that bad in the link above. It does have a slight smirking look to it though.

The smirking look makes it more accurate in my opinion. The original Kirks had the hooked lip, but in the picture, that mask is a far, far, far cry from what you receive.

ITSMEBILLY
07-18-2005, 09:36 AM
You know it would help to the see it. Any pix? Ohter then the one I posted.

MyersFan75
07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by ITSMEBILLY
You know it would help to the see it. Any pix? Ohter then the one I posted.

I'm a little busy right now, but I will definately post the pictures if I find them later tonight.

Ultimate Killer
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
I think it looks like a combination of all the mask used in the movies.

MyersFan75
07-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Ultimate Killer
I think it looks like a combination of all the mask used in the movies.

How so?
It doesn't really bare any resemblance to ALL the masks.
The original - yes.
The fourth - no - the color is off.
The fifth - no - not a big neck, or balding.
The sixth - does not resemble the eyebrows or cheeks.
The seventh - hair is totally different.
The 8th film - facial details different.

???

MyersFan75
07-19-2005, 12:16 AM
Here is a link telling how to convert an older 2004 DP Mask into something good, it may help while working with this one.

http://p095.ezboard.com/fhalloweenmaskassociationfrm4.showMessage?topicID= 762.topic

Sadly, the below link showcases the mask of reference in that promo you pictured.
The true product is horrible, at least until some fixing up is done with it...

:(

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.spookshop.com/thumbs/myers/thumbs/the_mask_small.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.spookshop.com/thumbs/myers/michael_myers_halloween_mask.htm&h=100&w=171&sz=4&tbnid=oShiCTfWsaMJ:&tbnh=54&tbnw=94&hl=en&start=7&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddon%2Bpost%2BMyers%2B%26svnum%3D10%26 hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff

myers2004
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
kind of scary what some of them do thier masks to convert them but i guess if it works then why not.

Chomp_on_this
08-03-2005, 08:45 AM
It still looks mediocre. The Kirk mask in Halloween had the cheek and forehead features due to the way certain light would hit the mask at different angles; that would create shadows and those real distinct-looking details in the mask. They were never THAT defined in the actual mask. The new mask looks as if its a sagging old man.

I also would have expected DP makers to fix the horrible hairline if they ever made a new Myers mask...sadly, it looks as if they have not.

I think I'll keep my DP "The Mask 2000" that I converted myself.

dellxp4
08-04-2005, 05:36 AM
I like those masks I only have the HR one at the moment might consider this one

Zach-O-Lantern
08-05-2005, 08:27 PM

The original two melted and the third is on its way out,

I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who had a Don Post mask melt.

HalloweeN63
08-05-2005, 08:35 PM
What a funny looking mask.

ITSMEBILLY
08-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Zach-O-Lantern
I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who had a Don Post mask melt.

Yeah right 3 in the last 5 years an all of em have melted around the neck chin before going compeletly messy.

Anyone know why these masks melt?

Is it sweat or what?

MinioN
08-06-2005, 02:32 AM
I had one melt as well. I wrapped it in thin plastic and put it away it a plastic container out of sunlight and heat and, a few months later, I open it up to see it melting and sticking to the wrapped plastic...

Zach-O-Lantern
08-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by MinioN
I had one melt as well. I wrapped it in thin plastic and put it away it a plastic container out of sunlight and heat and, a few months later, I open it up to see it melting and sticking to the wrapped plastic...

That's what happened to mine. I called the Paper Magic Group, who owns Don Post, they said they'd replace it free...yeah right, that was in September, i've yet to see a new one.

MyersFan75
08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
That's what happened to mine. I called the Paper Magic Group, who owns Don Post, they said they'd replace it free...yeah right, that was in September, i've yet to see a new one.

Then you should check into it - they aren't just going to ship it, are they?

stnthmn
08-06-2005, 06:56 PM
I used to own 3 different masks from party stores. I had the old Don Post, the first Cimemas Secret mask, and the Resurrection mask. Since I got my Trick or Treat mask I stopped collecting party store masks. I do like the Resurrection one though.

Zach-O-Lantern
08-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by MyersFan75
Then you should check into it - they aren't just going to ship it, are they?

They claim that one was sent out the week after I complained. Now they're not returning e-mails. I think i'm going to call them soon. If I don't hear anything i'll buy a new mask, BUT from someone else. Probably Cinema Secrets (they're in my budget), theirs may not look the best, but I know for a fact it's constructed a hell of a lot better.

Zach-O-Lantern
08-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Actually, that is just nice because its a promo shot.
I have seen the mask from online user pictures and it is horrible. It may look better than the Don Post Chalkface as far as details are concerned, but its hair is very messy, the paintjob is too yellow, and it's COMPLETELY warped in a huge glob of latex. Nothing like the picture...

Is this it?! Please tell me Don Post didn't do something like THIS!

http://neenastoyshoppe.com/Pictures/MyersMask2.jpg

MyersFan75
08-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Is this it?! Please tell me Don Post didn't do something like THIS!

http://neenastoyshoppe.com/Pictures/MyersMask2.jpg

Sorry...but yes Don Post did that.

It's truly a piece of crap and a pain to call that the official Halloween Michael Myers Licensed Mask...

Especially with things like these in existence...

www.michael-myers.net

:rolleyes:

writer93
08-08-2005, 07:01 PM
that sucks! i think the official halloween licensed mask should b the ORIGINAL mask in the ORIGINAL movie.

MyersFan75
08-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by writer93
that sucks! i think the official halloween licensed mask should b the ORIGINAL mask in the ORIGINAL movie.

Well...uh...are you serious?

:confused:

Zach-O-Lantern
08-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Sorry...but yes Don Post did that.

It's truly a piece of crap and a pain to call that the official Halloween Michael Myers Licensed Mask...

Especially with things like these in existence...

www.michael-myers.net

:rolleyes:

Well...if that's the replacement mask they plan on sending, I don't think I want one. They did much better before they had the license. I want a The Mask 2002, like my old one...but this time i'll spray it with some sorta protectant.

MyersFan75
08-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Well...if that's the replacement mask they plan on sending, I don't think I want one. They did much better before they had the license. I want a The Mask 2002, like my old one...but this time i'll spray it with some sorta protectant.

They may send you the older version, just ask.
Then again they'd be busy if everyone who's mask melted asked for a replacement. These masks don't last very long - you will only get one to later have it melt.

;)

Demonswrath
08-09-2005, 02:21 AM
MyersFan75, are you speaking of the chalkface mask and that it doesn't last very long? I hope not. That's the one I got. I bought it two years ago. So far, so good. It hasn't melted.

Fuck! Those are some nice ass pictures on that site you posted MyersFan75. Shame the studios don't use the fan-made masks for the films and for the official mask to be sold.

www.michael-myers.net

Those masks are insane!!

writer93
08-09-2005, 06:01 AM
ide like to have the 1998, 1999, or closet monster mask.

ten31
08-09-2005, 06:15 AM
http://neenastoyshoppe.com/Pictures/MyersMask2.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]

Is this Cave Man Myers?

MyersFan75
08-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Demonswrath
MyersFan75, are you speaking of the chalkface mask and that it doesn't last very long? I hope not. That's the one I got. I bought it two years ago. So far, so good. It hasn't melted.

Fuck! Those are some nice ass pictures on that site you posted MyersFan75. Shame the studios don't use the fan-made masks for the films and for the official mask to be sold.

www.michael-myers.net

Those masks are insane!!

Haha, yes there are some very nice masks out there.
Yes many people say that Chalkface melts on them, but mine is in fine condition - and yours is too to be ok after two years, I've had mine for about one or so.

MyersFan75
08-09-2005, 03:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Myers-Licensed-Mask-NEW-REDUCED_W0QQitemZ6552053877QQcategoryZ70976QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Hey guys, here's a link to the CS John Carpenter Myers Mask...the current bid is $4.50!!!

If you guys are wanting a mask for a Halloween film, there is nothing cheaper than this!!
It's better than the Don Post 2005 mask as well, so expect better. I would suggest that someone pick this up - also, there are some DP's on there for 10 bucks if anyone is interested, cmoplete with original tag and all!!

;)

Myers63
08-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Anyone know why these masks melt?

Is it sweat or what?

I've had the same problem with Don Post masks...although they didn't necessarily "melt" on me.

One thing I've noticed with the DP masks is that there tends to be weaker structual integrity around the chin area---almost as though it were caused by air bubbles in the pouring and pulling process.

The $40 Shatner 99's, as well as "The Mask" and "ChalkFace" masks, each had such poorly thin and porous chin areas that you can see daylight through the chin walls when slightly stretched.

Perhaps it's cheap latex, hastely time schedueles of mass producing, or DP has simply lost its leadership in the mask making business.

One popular opinion concerning "The Mask"s deterioration is that, since they pigment the latex with white paint, perhaps that causes a breakdown in the latex compound.

myers2004
08-24-2005, 05:51 AM
thankfully mine hasnt shown any signs of melting but its only been a year this oct so hopefully it will last but from the stories it makes me just want to get rid of it but i guess for now it will have to stay as a display piece till it starts to melt