PDA

View Full Version : The Heat of A Horror Fan! "A Memorabilia Story"

TheShape2005
06-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I saw this question somewhere else and thought it would be great Thread for OHMB fans!

Now everyone here must have had this happen to them. someone around you, might be a family member or just friends that have taken a look at your HalloweeN or Horror memorabilia collection and said, umm ok "what the hell is wrong with you?" They really just don't understand what and why you collect the things you do! You try & try to explain but they don't listen!

So who hates this heat from others and tell some of your memorabillia bashing storys! here :D

boogeyman87
06-28-2005, 09:20 PM
I can't even describe the amount of flack I got for recieving my Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street snowglobes for Christmas last year. What a Christmas...:p

stnthmn
06-28-2005, 09:21 PM
I used to have my room all decorated in all of my memerabilia collection when I was living at home. When I had people by everyone was shocked. Most people would just point to my statues/figures and say things like "oh cool, you got Chucky" Someone did say once that the news had top be out to report this because it was just too cool. My room always wasw a main attraction when my family had parties. They didn;t even have to be Halloween parties. I would open up my room and put on the Halloween 2 soundtrck in the background and let the guest have a look around. It was like a little horror collectable museum. The best was when people would open my closet and my life sized Myers would be standing inside staring them down. Many people got freaked out and one of my friends couldn't even stand being in the room.
Now, I have moved and pretty much if you came over I have a normal looking house. No halloween collectables displayed except for my Halloween DVD's and horror movies. All of my Halloween collection and horror collectables are in boxes. I guess it is a nice change and really I don't miss it. However, I love looking at other peoples pictures. I just don't see myself doing that again anytime soon. I might for this Halloween season set up the spare room with all my stuff again for when I have my Halloween parties. I am still asked if I have my collection. Maybe once I purchase a bigger place I will have my Halloween museum that I always wanted to have. For now everything is safe packed away.

TheShape2005
06-28-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by boogeyman87
I can't even describe the amount of flack I got for recieving my Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street snowglobes for Christmas last year. What a Christmas...:p

haha talking about Christmas! not meaning to get off topic here!

but one year I got my first pair of real overalls and H1, H4, H20 on dvd for Christmas! and I spent all day Christmas day watching the DVDs and wearing the suit! till we went to see family!

what a way to spend Christmas! :D

stnthmn
06-28-2005, 09:27 PM
You should have went to your family dressed as Michael Myers. That would have been cool. I always had a santa hat on my life-sized Myers for the holidays. That's my Christmas story except for the fact that I always asked for horror collectables for Christmas. My family never understood me.

MyersFan927
06-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Luckily, my family members don't give me a very hard time or a ton of criticism over my huge Halloween collection. My dad will sometimes make a cheap comment about what I paid for my items, or he'll try to find fault in anything that comes to the house, but I usually stay clear of him with anything concerning Halloween. My mom is pleased that I finally started spending my money and put it to use, but she wished I saved some cash aside. Hmm...my sisters think I'm a bit overboard, but they try to be supportive. But then again, one of them is a cheap miser, lol.

Once my sister's boyfriend came over and I showed him my room. I think he tried to refrain himself from calling me a nutcase; I'm not sure, hehe.

MyersFan75
06-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Haha, I hate when this kind of stuff happens.
Everyone is always saying, "You're obsessed with Halloween, and scary stuff."
I really don't like it - others have hobbies like gardening and modeling, and I prefer collecting memoribilia from the movies I love.
It's sometimes embarrasing and akward ordering things online all the time that only have to do with horror, but it's what I like, and I'm not stepping down to anyone.

;)

MMyers89
06-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Well this isn't quite the question asked, but once I had a friend over and he saw my Myers mask and said, "Hey, cool. Jason."

Man, was I mad, and of course I gave him the talk.

Now my dad calls it "Jason" just to make me mad.

MyersFan927
06-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by MMyers89
Well this isn't quite the question asked, but once I had a friend over and he saw my Myers mask and said, "Hey, cool. Jason."

Man, was I mad, and of course I gave him the talk.

Now my dad calls it "Jason" just to make me mad.

My dad accidentally got Michael confused with Jason once. He gets a lot of things mixed up. Another time he spotted the woman who played Jason's mother at a convention, and referred to her as Michael's mom. And oh, once we were talking about Halloween and he started doing the F13 theme song, not knowing it was wrong series. I corrected him.

MyersFan75
06-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by MyersFan927
My dad accidentally got Michael confused with Jason once. He gets a lot of things mixed up. Another time he spotted the woman who played Jason's mother at a convention, and referred to her as Michael's mom. And oh, once we were talking about Halloween and he started doing the F13 theme song, not knowing it was wrong series. I corrected him.

Haha, this happens to me all the time.
My mom doesn't know who from who, and calls Michael Jason or Freddy Michael.

Crazy.

TheShape2005
06-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by MyersFan927

ahh I hate that stuff! I got a thread on here all made for that kind of stuff as well!:) if anybody's got more put it in here!

The Wildest Things you heard anybody Say about The Franchise (http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4961)

anyways

I get this a stuff from people as well! I just try to keep them Open to my point of view as much as I can!

my parents got onto me for ordering the Warlock Mask! they said, you can pay $325 bucks for a myers mask and then again go and pay $20 bucks for the another one! what does it get you if you pay $325 that is any different then $20 dollars!

and I can right back with well the same with Cars, people can buy a 1987 Ford Ranger for $500 dollars! or they can go buy a new BMW for the Price of about $50,000 thousand Dollars!

the point is the Quality of the thing!

with a $500 dollar ford, you have a chance it might not last long! as in a new $50,000 Dollar BMW won't be going out on you for some time !

and with the mask! you can have a non Screen Accurate mask for $20 bucks! that looks nothing like what you want! or you can go pay $325 for something that is just as close as you can get to the original thing!

and they had nothing to say after that! and agreed with me and let it go!

myers2004
07-07-2005, 09:59 AM
well i got enough from one or two of my exs about it saying that i cared more about my collection then i did them so i guess since they are ex's we all know how it went. i get told alot by people though it is childish and all but i can think of alot worse things to have spent my money on then this hobby. the ones i love the most are the ones who complain about it and say how dumb but they collect salt and peer shakers or cabbage patch kids.( sorry to any who collect them on here had to get a shot in on my mom not that she will look in this)

Silverpsycho
07-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Just like Chris, I too get annoying comments made about what I receive on Christmas morning and birthdays too. Last Christmas, I received my two Bride of Chucky talking Spencer's dolls and my parents thought of them as absolute crap, but I think my mom enjoyed buying them for me. I know she was up for the hunt of the Seed of Chucky Glen doll too, as she helped in bugging the manager on a daily basis to make sure one of the ones brought early into the store would be mine. :D

I also received the 18" NECA Michael with sound and the Loomis/Myers figure set too. At first my mom was like "why do you get this stuff?" but I think she knows deep inside how much it means to me. At least she tried to share my enthusiasm by watching HalloweeN 1, 4 and 5 last Halloween. She had seen the original before, but the fact she wanted to borrow my dvds was awesome! My parents have gotten adjusted to the fact that I am a horror fanatic, but my younger brother has not. It is strange because he used to love watching all kinds of horror films with me when he was younger and he attends all the latest horror films in the theatre with me (well the ones that look appealing at least), but he loves bashing that I like them so much. I know he hates my Sideshow doll collection and he gets a little heated everytime I purchase a new horror dvd...yet he will watch them from time to time with me. I just hate when he enjoys something then will become hypocritical and say..."why do you like all this gore stuff...geez!" I just respond with the fact that I enjoy watching actors in their rough stages when they are more raw and less Hollywood and loving all the tricks to pull off the illusion of gore (I am not one for the newer CGI films). He also makes a point to make fun of the fact that I visit the OHMB so frequently but he makes it more than easy for me to make a comeback remark since he is obsessed with the "World of Warcraft" game and used to be hardcore into "Star Wars Galaxies." I find nothing wrong with those games, but I poke fun at him for playing games like that for a full 15 hours or so straight, when I just visit the OHMB daily for a couple hours. So whatever to my brother. I know he secretly enjoys quite a bit of horror films and I know that I am a horror fan for life! :D

MyersFan75
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Silverpsycho
Just like Chris, I too get annoying comments made about what I receive on Christmas morning and birthdays too. Last Christmas, I received my two Bride of Chucky talking Spencer's dolls and my parents thought of them as absolute crap, but I think my mom enjoyed buying them for me. I know she was up for the hunt of the Seed of Chucky Glen doll too, as she helped in bugging the manager on a daily basis to make sure one of the ones brought early into the store would be mine. :D

I also received the 18" NECA Michael with sound and the Loomis/Myers figure set too. At first my mom was like "why do you get this stuff?" but I think she knows deep inside how much it means to me.

Haha, I got the same responses last Christmas, and I got pretty much all the same things you listed. It was weird, and among other gifts, deep down I was wanting the Myers and Loomis set the most, and would keep asking for it.
I ordered the Freddy VS. Jason set online last year as well, but alas, still havent gotten it. I'm pretty sure I never will - fuckin dumbasses.

DarkMyers
07-09-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by stnthmn
...... For now everything is safe packed away.

That is the important thing. :)

MrTaft
07-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Man, I love showing my stuff off and having it on display, and everyone who's ever seen it has loved it too. When I used to live at home and neighbours came over, my father would take them on a tour of the house (he had a huge mansion) and show them my room. I even had a 45-year-old woman who lived down the street tell me she'd kill to have my room as it was. All of my friends think it's great, although one notes I am very obsessed with my hobby. :)

My father actually thinks it's amazing, especially given a lot of the crew jackets, etc, I own, and my mother is slightly less enthusiastic, but likes it all just the same. She always thinks I have every VHS release of the films available, then when I get another she carries on in disbelief. Fun times. :)