PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead or Land of the Dead

Nightmare
06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Which one did you like better, me personally I like Dawn of the Dead but it was a close choice?

Johnathon
06-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Well I haven't see the original Dawn of the Dead, but Land of the Dead was much better than the Dawn of the Dead remake.

Ravenheart
06-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Are you talking the original Dawn or the remake?As much as I liked Land,I liked both versions of Dawn better.

MMyers89
06-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Land is better than the Dawn remake, but original Dawn is better than Land.

NeewollaH
06-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Land of the Dead has more brains (in more ways than one) than Dawn of the Dead, thus Land of the Dead wins.

DarknessBDJM
06-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Dawn. Either of them. Land was good, but a little dissapointing.

Soulless
06-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Dawn of the Dead, new or original, are far better then Land is, at least to me anyhow. Both Dawns had fun characters whereas Land had none I could care less about, except maybe the hot chick that drove Dead Reckoning. To me Land seemed too much like people vs. people with zombies as an afterthought.

Hallowicked
06-28-2005, 03:46 AM
I think both films are great but Dawn of the Dead is still my favorite from the Romero Dead series.

Silverpsycho
06-28-2005, 11:47 AM
The original Dawn still and always will be superior to Land in my eyes...but, Land is far superior to the Dawn remake. Zack Snyder is unoriginal and made a film to cater to a younger generation, while Romero always puts meat into his films with a great cast of characters. With Zack Snyder's interpretation, all I got was a bunch of "Hollywood pretty faces" that I could not relate to with sprinting zombies (an idea merely stolen from 28 Days Later since it did well). Plus, even the zombies could not be related to in the Dawn remake as none of them stood out and wore the same things. At least in Land there was a gas-station worker, butcher, baseball player, cheerleader, young couple, band members and so much more. When I saw those zombies, I knew what they used to do and be in their past life whereas none of the zombies got special attention or personalities in the Dawn remake. I will admit I have warmed up to the Dawn remake over time...but, it does not deserve the title it has and it will never be anywhere near the caliber of Romero in my eyes at least.

Chomp_on_this
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Silverpsycho
Land is far superior to the Dawn remake. Zack Snyder is unoriginal and made a film to cater to a younger generation, while Romero always puts meat into his films with a great cast of characters. With Zack Snyder's interpretation, all I got was a bunch of "Hollywood pretty faces" that I could not relate to with sprinting zombies (an idea merely stolen from 28 Days Later since it did well). Plus, even the zombies could not be related to in the Dawn remake as none of them stood out and wore the same things. At least in Land there was a gas-station worker, butcher, baseball player, cheerleader, young couple, band members and so much more. When I saw those zombies, I knew what they used to do and be in their past life whereas none of the zombies got special attention or personalities in the Dawn remake. I will admit I have warmed up to the Dawn remake over time...but, it does not deserve the title it has and it will never be anywhere near the caliber of Romero in my eyes at least.

Noice...Land of the Dead was better than the Dawn of the Dead remake for all of those reasons. Good points on the zombies as well.

Mr.Garrett81
06-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Dawn all the way. L of the Dead sucked ass and was a massive dissapointment. I dont understand how you cannot relate to the characters in the Dawn remake. At least there more real. Land characters were boring and I had no care for them at all. Dawn remake all the way!

Chomp_on_this
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Garrett81
I dont understand how you cannot relate to the characters in the Dawn remake.

One reason is there were too many characters inside the mall. Right when we'd begin to get some information on one character they'd cut to some other character doing something rediculous. There was never any close character study...each dialogue sequence only lasted 5 minutes or less....Maybe that's why you thought the "L of the Dead" characters were boring...they recieved too much screen time? They talked too much? Because honestly, I couldn't care less about one single member in the Dawn of the Dead Remake.

At least there more real.

People must spout out cheesy one-liners pretty often around you eh?

spring heel
06-28-2005, 06:58 PM
I would say land, Romero finally had his budget to do what he always wanted, the budget that he lacked for dawn. So the zombies looked better, the cinematography was sharper w/ a much more developed and executed message. Although, In the 70s not only could filmmakers be more experimental they relied more on the delivery of the actors and a lot more dialogue. I find the dialogue and delivery in remakes or continuations of 70s era movies often come off a little flat because of this. {The star wars effect}. Still I felt LOTD was more of a well-rounded production that kicked both live and undead ass all the way thru, and I loved the open ending. Land of the Canadian zombies! Scary! Wait, all us Canadians would have to do is fend em off till winter then they would all freeze! Dawn is a great movie but always had to laugh a little at the blue zombies. {If only he had been given more money}.

I think the dawn remake was a great zombie flick, it did lack the messege and charactor development of the original, they sort of stole the mall concept and made their own zombie flick. But on its own it was a well done zombie movie. No Romero

theoutfieldguy
06-29-2005, 12:48 AM
Both Dawns over that piece of shit anyday.

Mr.Garrett81
06-29-2005, 08:29 AM
I never really thought there were any chessy one liners but I guess thats my opinion.

Chomp_on_this
06-29-2005, 03:44 PM
I guess thats my opinion.

Well, you just answered your question as to how people cannot relate to the characters in the Dawn Remake.

zombie commando
06-30-2005, 08:18 AM
Wow, this is like picking between children.....but I'll go with Dawn. I've always held it in high regards over the others, and still believe it's the film that really kicked the zombie genre into full gear.

LegendKiller
07-03-2005, 12:46 AM
I actually had to think hard on this question but i like dawn a little bit better

The Dark Shape
07-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Dawn '78 (9/10) > Land (8.5/10) > Dawn '04 (7/10)

DarknessBDJM
07-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Soulless
Dawn of the Dead, new or original, are far better then Land is, at least to me anyhow. Both Dawns had fun characters whereas Land had none I could care less about, except maybe the hot chick that drove Dead Reckoning. To me Land seemed too much like people vs. people with zombies as an afterthought.

So, like Day of the Dead then.

Nightmare
07-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by LegendKiller
I actually had to think hard on this question but i like dawn a little bit better

Same with me to.

Mr.Garrett81
07-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by The Dark Shape
Dawn '78 (9/10) > Land (8.5/10) > Dawn '04 (7/10) You honestly cant think that Land was better than Dawn remake. Comon I know a lot of people dont like remakes but what was so damn good about land???? I mean if you like thats cool I just dont see why so many people think it was so good.

It's Neal
07-08-2005, 08:00 PM
For me its whether you like fast or slow zombies. I think the slower ones are cooler and scarier, but thought Dawn of the Dead was the better overall movie.

horrornut
07-08-2005, 08:11 PM
IMO the original Dawn was without question the best. I didn't care for the Dawn remake or Land...........

loomified
07-09-2005, 07:10 PM
I agree w/ soulless that there was alot of people vs. people stuff in land of the dead...but I still think I like it the best. close second would be the original dawn of the dead. I intensely disliked the remake...zombies were never ever meant to run.

Mr.Garrett81
07-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by loomified
I agree w/ soulless that there was alot of people vs. people stuff in land of the dead...but I still think I like it the best. close second would be the original dawn of the dead. I intensely disliked the remake...zombies were never ever meant to run. Why were zombies never meant to run? I didn't know there was a class offered in college on the anatomy of a zombie and why they behave the way they do. Afterall it is MAKE BELIEVE. Walking zombies are not scary at all. Like Barbara says in the reamke. "They're soo slow...we could just walk right by them." Running zombies can come from anywhere at any time. I find a walking zombie to be about as scary as the scene in Austin Powers 1 where the Dr. Evil henchman screams to death as a slow ass steamroller rolls his ass over.

Dr_Loomis02
07-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Why were zombies never meant to run? I didn't know there was a class offered in college on the anatomy of a zombie and why they behave the way they do. Afterall it is MAKE BELIEVE. Walking zombies are not scary at all. Like Barbara says in the reamke. "They're soo slow...we could just walk right by them." Running zombies can come from anywhere at any time. I find a walking zombie to be about as scary as the scene in Austin Powers 1 where the Dr. Evil henchman screams to death as a slow ass steamroller rolls his ass over.

I agree. 28 days later altered the "rules" on this. I think the running zombie is scarier, the "roaming" zombie classier.

Gooch72
07-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Land was leaps and bounds better in my opinion.

ILoveHalloween3
07-19-2005, 09:30 PM
"Land" was good, but it isn't even the same GALAXY as "Dawn".

Gotta go with "Dawn" ...

Creepingmouth
07-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Land of the Dead is way better than Dawn of the Dead remake.The characters in Dawn were quite annoying.
Not a chance Land to be better than the original Dawn.
Maybe Dawn has less gore scenes and worse zombies but the atmosphere is amazing and I really cared about all the four main characters and someway I can say I got to know them while watching the movie.That doesn't happen when I watch Land of the Dead.If you don't like a character you can't be scared of what could happen to him.

ILoveHalloween3
07-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Wait a minute, what's being asked here? Is this "Dawn '79 vs. Land" or "Dawn '04 vs. Land"?

If it's the original "Dawn", like I said, no comparison, "Dawn" easily. It's a masterpiece. If it's the remake, than "Land". "Land" shits all over the "Dawn" remake.

Mr.Garrett81
07-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by ILoveHalloween3
Wait a minute, what's being asked here? Is this "Dawn '79 vs. Land" or "Dawn '04 vs. Land"?

If it's the original "Dawn", like I said, no comparison, "Dawn" easily. It's a masterpiece. If it's the remake, than "Land". "Land" shits all over the "Dawn" remake.

And Dawn remake diahreas all over Land. And it doesn't even wipe afterwards!

FleshEatnZombie
08-04-2005, 09:00 AM
The original Dawn of the Dead

Herbert West
08-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by FleshEatnZombie
The original Dawn of the Dead

i concur

writer93
08-15-2005, 07:01 AM
Dawn Of The Dead original

Nightmare
08-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by writer93
Dawn Of The Dead original

I would say the remake.

writer93
08-15-2005, 10:45 AM
i dont know, actually the remake was kinda better. i am now with the remake!

Crazy Ralph
08-17-2005, 08:55 AM
I liked the original Dawn of the Dead and Land of the Dead equal. Land was a much better film though then the remake of Dawn. Land of the Dead is just an amazing film altogether.

DREAMASTER
08-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Dr_Loomis02
I agree. 28 days later altered the "rules" on this. I think the running zombie is scarier, the "roaming" zombie classier.

Indeed. I've seen some zombie movies where they are slow as a snail and you only be caught by them if you want coz they're so slow that one can escape from them easly before they gather around.

PS: Didn't saw Land... yet.

Roverto
04-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Dawn Of The Dead (2004)

pacotaco83
08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Dawn of the Dead is far better than Land of the Dead. Land of the Dead just seemed like a crappy gorefest. Did not appeal to me at all.

Rich
08-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Land of the Dead is another Romero classic. Dawn was a horrible remake. The new Dawn was the senseless gore movie not Land of the Dead. Land is a complex political satire, just like his other zombie films. The new Dawn did not use any of the themes of consumerism and materialism that made Romero's original Dawn a great film. Just for the record Day of the Dead was way more gory then Land.

Roswell
08-17-2006, 09:37 AM
I liked both films to be honest, but if any film is the "pointless gore fest", it would be the Dawn remake.

discvader
08-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Dawn of the Dead is far better than Land of the Dead. Land of the Dead just seemed like a crappy gorefest. Did not appeal to me at all.
It is? They are? lol! Here's a good tip to live by... If it's a George A. Romero zombie movie...it's better than whatever it's being compared too... :nodsmile: yep...that's right!

Muse
09-01-2006, 05:40 PM
IMO, Original Dawn - better than Land, Land - better than Dawn remake

original Night... beats the crap outta them all!!! (although oringal Dawn isnt far behin it)

JCU
09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
The remake of "Dawn of the Dead" does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with ANY Romero zombie film. While it certainly wasn't the worst remake produced in the past few years, it was no where near a top quality film.

Land was a pleasant surprise considering Day was very close to being unbearable. When I watch the various installments in this series, Day lacked something. There wasn't enough dealing with the defunct civilization and enough interaction with zombies. Granted, experiments were done on a few zombies and the survivors even explored the outside world a tad. No where did they do any of this as much as I thought they should. Scientists vs soldiers wasn't as interesting as humans vs zombies. Land seemed to rectify this greatly and had the interaction that Dawn produced.

Rich
09-02-2006, 01:35 PM
That is just the thing JCU. It was never human vs. zombies. It is humans ARE zombies. "We're them and they're us." That is why Day of the Dead's story, I thought, was a good one, because it represented reality in America at the time. The military weren't bad guys, they were just another point of view, while the scientists represented reason and people who have given up on the government. I agree that there should have been more content to the film, and there was going to be. George wrote a phone book of a script, says Tom Savini, but the budget sadly did not alow for any more then what was filmed. I think George did a wonderful job knowing all the restrictions and bullshit he had to deal with while making Day of the Dead, check out the documentary on the two disc divimax edition for further details on that. I think Land was an awesome story, but like Day, I would have wanted it to have more content. As far as the Dawn remake, don't sugar coat it brother, say it like it is...that movie was one of the worst piece of shit movies ever made. Half the effects looked like they were made in photoshop and the story absolutely...oh...wait a minute...there was no story...it was just a generic splatter film marketing the name of one of the greatest horror masterpieces ever made.

Clark Kent
09-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I'd have to go with Dawn of the Dead(both remake and original), just because of the line "they're just looking for a place to go". That shit pissed me off. Both DOTD('78) and ('04) were good.

Slasher Villain
09-03-2006, 07:06 AM
I really really disliked Land of the dead, I thought it was so dull, it just bored me senseless, and isn't even comparable to the original romero trilogy, which was fantastic.

As for the Dawn remake, as I said in other thread I loved it personally, thought it was one of the best remakes I have ever seen, and on a personal note I actually preferred it to the original (but the original is of course more of a classic and always will be)

JCU
09-03-2006, 03:31 PM
That is just the thing JCU. It was never human vs. zombies. It is humans ARE zombies. "We're them and they're us." That is why Day of the Dead's story, I thought, was a good one, because it represented reality in America at the time.

Night, Dawn and Land all used the zombies as an important stimulus during the progression of the film(s). In Day, the zombie infestation was much more "minor" than the others. People are locked securely away in an under ground bunker and if not for the conflicts between scientist and soldier, the devestation above ground would hardly be a problem. Granted, zombies rising from the dead would be an issue but it would effect you much more being in a farmhouse or mall as compared to a bunker.

Muse
09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Night, Dawn and Land all used the zombies as an important stimulus during the progression of the film(s). In Day, the zombie infestation was much more "minor" than the others. People are locked securely away in an under ground bunker and if not for the conflicts between scientist and soldier, the devestation above ground would hardly be a problem. Granted, zombies rising from the dead would be an issue but it would effect you much more being in a farmhouse or mall as compared to a bunker.

I definately agree mate. I dont think i need to say anything else on the matter right now so i'll leave it there

Hallow's Eve
09-22-2006, 09:41 AM
The Original Dawn of the Dead smokes Land of the Dead, sorry George! Land of the Dead was decent, had some good gore effects. The idea of the Zombies evolving was interesting, but could have been done better. John Leguizamo was pretty cheesy and annoying. I thought Dennis Hopper was a little too restrained, I wish he would have went over the top and fun like he was in Texas Chainsaw 2. Overall, Land was a little disapointing, but not bad.
No comparison to the great masterpiece Dawn of the Dead though.

xmiserysignalsx
09-24-2006, 07:25 PM
i think most horror buffs would say the original dawn of the dead is in the top 2 for zombie flicks, and very high on many people's favorite horror lists. i say 1). dawn of the dead (70s)
2). land of the dead-underrated if you ask me...same theme as dawn...political and social satire, this time it's of a more somber approach
3). dawn of the dead remake....sorry, trendy hollywood remakes just can't compare, even if they are decent.

Halloween444
11-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Land Of The Dead is one of my favorite from the Romero's Dead Series so ill go With Land

DarknessBDJM
11-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Land of the dead grew on me a lot afterthe first viewing. Originally I didn't think much about it, but I grew to love it and actually link it to Night more than any of the other Dead films due to the increased reliance on horror and atmosphere. I like Land better for those reasons.

mr32
12-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Well I never seen the old verison of land of the dead, thought (remake) dawn of the dead was great, and the original, but the new land of the dead i didnt like it. Night of the living dead was also great (1968 version) and the (90's version) love them i just didnt get into land of the dead.

MaDMaNMaRz
09-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Land is better than the remake of Dawn.....but the original Dawn is waaaaaay better than Land. I never really got into Land. I didn't really get into the characters, and the overall feel of the film.

Khan
09-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Land Of The Dead over the Dawn Of The Dead remake.

Torgo
09-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Dawn of the Dead remake by a landslide, if that's what is being asked.

Land of the Dead was so disappointing to me. I was literally waiting for years for that movie to come out! I remember being pissed when I heard they were remaking Dawn of the Dead (back when things like that bothered me, now I don't give a fuck). If someone told me I would have enjoyed a remake of Dawn of the Dead more than a sequel by the master himself, I'd have said that's crazy talk, but I think the DOTD '04 blew Land out of the water.

mmyers78
09-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I would take the original Dawn Of The Dead over Land Of The Dead, but I would take Land Of The Dead over the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.

discvader
09-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I would take the original Dawn Of The Dead over Land Of The Dead, but I would take Land Of The Dead over the remake of Dawn Of The Dead.
Very solid...yes indeed. :)

spindrift68
09-20-2008, 11:17 PM

Same here.

jmb_052
09-20-2008, 11:54 PM
This thread is fucking trippy.

Then I realized most of the responses were from over 2 years ago.

Severed
09-21-2008, 04:24 AM
I would take both "Dawn"'s over Land. Land of the Dead is not a terrible film, but its not up to caliber as the first three.

Rich
09-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Land of the Dead is a very unnderrated film. I think it certainly is in league with the Romero trilogy. The Dawn remake was bullcrap and Diary was a good concept film, but not that great of a zombie film.

Land of the Dead has all the social commentary of any other Romero work plus the special effects and make up work of KNB that made the zombies look just disgusting (which is a good thing in these movies). The living dead themselves (like any other George movie) are characters in themselves and in the end, they reiterate what the original Dawn of the Dead stated..."we are them and they are us."

Torgo
09-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Land of the Dead is a very unnderrated film. I think it certainly is in league with the Romero trilogy. The Dawn remake was bullcrap and Diary was a good concept film, but not that great of a zombie film.

Why do you think the Dawn remake is crap?

Twisted Sister
09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Dawn, for sure.
I didn't overly care for Land, but I need to watch it again, since it's been awhile.

spindrift68
09-21-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't hate the Dawn remake, but I don't think it's anything great either. Maybe I'd like it better now, I've only watched it twice since the DVD was released.

As for Land, it's very special to me, since it's the first Romero "Dead" film I saw in the theatre. I really like the film, but it does feel like a film that was made & then screwed with by the studio.