PDA

View Full Version : Rhodes and his men

FTL
03-24-2005, 11:27 PM
I was watching Day of the Dead yesterday and noticed some thing that was pretty funny in a stupid kind of way.

When the zombies begin piling up, Rhodes, Steel and Rickles split but Rhodes ditches them for a mini cart. They follow, but it's too late...he's gone, leaving them in the dust at 2 MPH, looking over his shoulder like 'muhahahaha best plan ever they can't get me!'

What gets me is Steel just stands there screaming for him to come back when him and Rickles could just jog to him and hop on and be on their way out. But that's not what occurs...what happens is Rhodes rides on out of there at 2 MPH and Steel and Rickles just stand their like he's speeding away.

Right now I'm trying to look for other scenes like that. Has anyone noticed the mini cart scene, or at least saw it in the same way I did?

atomic dog
03-25-2005, 04:32 AM
i saw that too. it's a golf cart guys. you can walk faster than that. all they had to do was maybe walk a little faster or jog and jump on. but still rhodes gets it in the end...

Michaeleon
03-25-2005, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by FTL
What gets me is Steel just stands there screaming for him to come back when him and Rickles could just jog to him and hop on and be on their way out. But that's not what occurs...what happens is Rhodes rides on out of there at 2 MPH and Steel and Rickles just stand their like he's speeding away.

Haha! You know it did occur to me that Steel could have just ran and caught up with Rhodes. The cart inched ahead ever so slowly leaving a stunned Steel in the dust.
The only thing I can come to grasp from the scene is that Steel was in shock. All this time Rhodes had been singing the blues about how much pain and suffering his men had to go through. He was now their leader and put his foot down to the scientist, there would be no more of their 'abuse'. Once Rhodes found out the ghastly ingredients to Frankenstein's grub he disposed of him in a brutal way. His men thought he was truly on their side, working for their interest.
Yet, we find that once the shit hit the fan, the only person/s Rhodes is concerned about is Rhodes. That's why I think Steel didn't run after him, he was frozen in disbelief. Their leader, the one they believed in and followed all this time is nothing but a hypocrite in reality.

By the way, if Rhodes had waited like 15 seconds he could have taken all the men with him on that grand getaway vehicle. Then they could have worked in a team and probably survived. Instead, Rhodes dug his own grave with his pettiness.

Roswell
03-25-2005, 07:14 AM
I thought this was funny as well. I watched Day a few days ago and noticed that when he hops on the golf cart, it goes really slow. Maybe GAR shot it that way to inject a bit of humor into the scene.

Superman
03-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by atomic dog
i saw that too. it's a golf cart guys. you can walk faster than that. all they had to do was maybe walk a little faster or jog and jump on. but still rhodes gets it in the end... I've driven a golf cart and it can go pretty fast....depending on what kind you have or if you are going up or down hill. So maybe they could not catch up to it.

boogeyman87
03-25-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm thinking it was the combination of Steel and Rickles being in shock of their macho man leader speeding away and the fact that he is going nowhere, at least we know he's not. But like Mark said, maybe Romero was just adding some humor into that scene.

FTL
03-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Michaeleon
By the way, if Rhodes had waited like 15 seconds he could have taken all the men with him on that grand getaway vehicle. Then they could have worked in a team and probably survived. Instead, Rhodes dug his own grave with his pettiness.

Yeah, they definitely could've survived together. With Rhodes' leadership and the aggressiveness of Steel and Rickles, I'd say they'd make it...at least longer than they did when they went solo.

Another thing I noticed was the constant racism. It seems that Steel can't go one second without shouting some thing along the lines of "it's all your fault! It's all your yellow fuckin' fault!" Mean...but funny nonetheless. I get a kick out of Steel's bigotry.

zombie commando
03-26-2005, 01:31 PM
They were a bunch of morons. That's what I chaulk it up to....stupidity.

NeewollaH
03-26-2005, 02:02 PM
If I remember correctly, doesn't Rhodes step on the pedal a couple times while he's going away as if to make it go faster? That part is a little out of place for the serious tone of the movie, but it's amusing.

FTL
03-26-2005, 03:54 PM
It is amusing. I love how Rhodes is all sweaty and takes fleeting looks over his shoulder to make sure they aren't on to him and they are like 8 feet away lmao.

Chomp_on_this
03-27-2005, 06:17 PM
Fuuuuckin' Aaa, biiiggest piece of meat in the caaaave....

(insert Steel's weird cackling laugh)

Donnie Darko
03-27-2005, 06:27 PM
thats it Steele, whip it out!! that'll bring em on!

NeewollaH
03-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Fuckin' A, biggest piece of meat in the cave..

FTL
03-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Steel was the shit. He kept it together the best out of all of them till he was caught by surprise.

NeewollaH
03-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by FTL
Steel was the shit. He kept it together the best out of all of them till he was caught by surprise.

Damn right he was, but the one thing Rhodes did better was bitch out the zombies as they're eating his guts. Rhodes was a dick even when he was getting eaten alive. Gotta love that.

FTL
03-27-2005, 07:57 PM
CHOKE ON 'EM! CHOKE ON 'EM..!!

Chomp_on_this
03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Bang...ur dead. Hehehehehehehehhehahahahaha (Steel's weird cackle)!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Chomp_on_this/bang.jpg

zombie commando
04-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Rhodes and his men were such idiots, but I love them. They perfectly represented macho ape bravado. They definitely embodied the violent subculture of time period.

MaDMaNMaRz
09-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Fuuuuckin' Aaa, biiiggest piece of meat in the caaaave....

(insert Steel's weird cackling laugh)

Hahaha! That's so classic.

FTL
09-20-2008, 07:25 AM
This thread is a fucking classic. lol old as shit

zombie commando
10-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I love Rhodes. Really. My hero. He should be the poster boy of army recruitment.

zombie commando
11-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I was watching Day of the Dead last night and it really struck me how republican and right-wing stereotypical Rhodes and his men act. The rejection of the incumbent system. John's philosophy was the change that they needed to accept to survive and continue human society in a world overrun with the living dead. It didn't make sense to continue with the old system of rule, and Rhodes mutilation at the end was symbolic of that system being torn apart.

Doesn't that remind anyone of the social-political atmosphere today?