PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Next Door

Chomp_on_this
03-02-2005, 08:05 PM
It seems this sucker has finally discovered its release date. The SE will be released on August 9th.

Tempe Entertainment today announced that their 1990 flagship underground film THE DEAD NEXT DOOR has been acquired by home video titan Anchor Bay Entertainment for release as a Special Edition DVD to mark the film’s 20th anniversary in 2005. Admittedly the largest and most expensive Super-8mm feature film ever made, this fully-restored edition will be released to home video in the U.S. & Canada as well as the United Kingdom.

THE DEAD NEXT DOOR began life during a chance meeting in mid-1985 with a legendary Detroit, Michigan-based cult director known only as “The Master Cylinder” who encouraged 19-year-old J.R. Bookwalter to get his own feature rolling after seeing the young director’s short films. The Master Cylinder even put his money where his mouth was and thus began a 5-year odyssey for first-time feature filmmaker Bookwalter, who shot the epic-scale film in his hometown of Akron, Ohio.

The low-budget horror film quickly became legendary in northeast Ohio during the summer of 1986 as more than 1,500 area residents of all ages came out to play zombies with massive coverage from the local media. Soon the “mysterious identity” of the film’s executive producer sparked the interest of leading horror movie magazine FANGORIA, who did an exhaustive feature in their March, 1987 issue — a full 3 years before the film’s initial home video release on the obscure Electro Video label. Bookwalter’s Tempe took over the film’s distribution in 1992, where it eventually got worldwide exposure in Germany, Japan, Spain, the U.K. and other countries.

Despite the film’s spotty distribution over the last 15 years, THE DEAD NEXT DOOR has found a loyal and steadily-growing fan base worldwide that has allowed Bookwalter to keep making films, including the cult hit OZONE in 1994 and more recently the critically-acclaimed WITCHOUSE 2: BLOOD COVEN and WITCHOUSE 3: DEMON FIRE for Full Moon Pictures. The screenplay for a proposed sequel called DEAD FUTURE: THE DEAD NEXT DOOR has been circulating waiting for the right deal and there is even a video game in development based on the original DEAD.

"It’s hard to escape the shadow of your first film, especially one with such a bizarre history,” Bookwalter explains. “That’s the one people wind up remembering you for, and over the years I’ve repeatedly been asked two questions — ‘When are you making the sequel?’, and more recently, ‘When are you releasing a Special Edition DVD of THE DEAD NEXT DOOR?’”

Thanks to Anchor Bay’s Michael R. Felsher, at least half of the fans’ prayers have finally been answered. “This is going to be a fantastic project to work on,” Felsher says. “Having been a longtime fan of this zombie epic, it's going to be a real treat to see it restored and exposed to a whole new audience of living dead fanatics.”

Bookwalter is also thrilled with the new partnership. “I have been a huge DVD collector right from its launch in 1997, and Anchor Bay has become the preeminent distributor of classic horror films. They’re the best at what they do, and I have used them as a template for my own Tempe DVD releases. To have the same company that has restored such classics as DAWN OF THE DEAD, THE EVIL DEAD and HALLOWEEN behind our little flick is an honor.”

To that end, Bookwalter is personally supervising an extensive remastering of THE DEAD NEXT DOOR from the original Super-8mm film elements, complete with a 5.1 surround remix and a long list of all-new extras documenting the film’s 20-year history. “This will be what I like to call the ‘proper burial’ of this film,” Bookwalter laughs. “When this work is finished, all that will be left to do is to answer the fans’ other question and get that sequel made at long last.”

Anybody catch this interesting little flick?

atomic dog
03-03-2005, 04:44 AM
i believe i saw this on vhs but i can't remember a thing about it.

zombie commando
04-14-2005, 06:54 AM
This movie BLOWS! Seriously, I think I could of made a better zombie flick with a potato and a sock.

Chomp_on_this
04-19-2005, 01:16 PM
It wasn't the great by no means, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Chomp_on_this
08-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Anybody pick up the DVD released today? I went to Best Buy , but they did not have it. To the Internet I GO...!

zombie commando
08-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
Anybody pick up the DVD released today? I went to Best Buy , but they did not have it. To the Internet I GO...! Someone gave me a copy. Guess they didn't care for it that much, and funny thing is, neither do I.

Chomp_on_this
08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, then give it to me.

JOeKER
08-11-2005, 02:46 PM
I saw it in stores. Haven't bought it yet though. I wanted to see what others thought of it.

zombie commando
08-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Well, then give it to me. Come to my house and get it bitch.

discvader
12-23-2005, 09:47 AM
I picked this one up yesterday and uh, well, atleast I can use the case to fill another slot up in my dvd collection.:rolleyes:

MMyers89
01-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Media Play is going out of business and everything is 40-60% off, so I went and raided their horror section, and picked up the Special Edition DVD...and I like it...haha, it actually had a good plot, some intentional and unintentional laughs, and medium to pretty damn good gore.

3pidemiC
01-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by MMyers89
Media Play is going out of business and everything is 40-60% off, so I went and raided their horror section, and picked up the Special Edition DVD...and I like it...haha, it actually had a good plot, some intentional and unintentional laughs, and medium to pretty damn good gore.

Hey! It's going out around here too...:'( Sad, but yeah...I didn't have enough money for it, since I bought "Child's Play" and "The Thing - SE"....but maybe i'll go back and get it.

MMyers89
01-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by 3pidemiC
Hey! It's going out around here too...:'( Sad, but yeah...I didn't have enough money for it, since I bought "Child's Play" and "The Thing - SE"....but maybe i'll go back and get it.

Yeah, me and my dad picked up The Dead Next Door, Zombie Lake, Last House on the Left, Jaws 30th Ann. DVD, a 2 movie set with Nosferatu and The Phantom of the Opera, and a 12 movie box set for $58, and it would have cost us just about $100, but everything was so cheap, it was great.

BEHIND THE MASK
01-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I enjoyed The Dead Next Door... I think Sam Raimi gave the budget from profits of Evil Dead II.

I also like how several characters were named after famous people:

Raimi
Savini
Carpenter
Romero

And so on...

chuxdigital
03-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Dead Next Door is rough and raw. it's worth the price for the gore alone. Anchorbay's treatment is as good as can be, but i think the sound was too well-mastered to go with the grainy, ate-up print of this flick.

the explaination of the zombie creatures is one of the most original i've heard: the virus needs to eat to survive, so it forces the host (corpse) to constantly seek out flesh for food.

Chomp_on_this
03-01-2006, 08:17 AM
I've always put off buying this flick, and I have no diea why. Its cheap as hell. I usually walk around Best Buy with it in my hand for at least 10min, and ultimately put it down for something that sparks my interest a bit more. I always feel bad afterwords because I really want to add this flick to my collection, but the mixed opinions and such have really deterred me from purchasing it. Maybe next time I stop in BB, I'll kick the bucket and just go for the gold. Its a great beer drinking movie, and I always love those.

chuxdigital
03-03-2006, 06:21 AM
I've always put off buying this flick, and I have no diea why. Its cheap as hell. I usually walk around Best Buy with it in my hand for at least 10min, and ultimately put it down for something that sparks my interest a bit more. I always feel bad afterwords because I really want to add this flick to my collection, but the mixed opinions and such have really deterred me from purchasing it. Maybe next time I stop in BB, I'll kick the bucket and just go for the gold. Its a great beer drinking movie, and I always love those. go for it! i bought it and it's not the best film in my collection, but it's not so bad that i'd want to get rid of it, either.

The Frightmaster
03-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I really wanted to like this movie, but it sucked! I stopped not even half way through it and listened to the commentary for the rest of the movie. It's sad that they put all that hard work into the movie(4 years I think) and it turned out so bad. The acting is some of the worst I've ever seen, it was just painful to watch.

But I thought it was cool that the director has the same names as me. lol

TouchMe4Money
03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
I actually kind of liked the movie. I mean, for all the zombie movies I see today where there are so many characters talking like "real people," I actually liked the Zombie Squad characters in this movie. I was even really intensely paying attention to the whole Molson storyline toward the end, both wanting him to get away and at the same time, wanting to see the Squad member get his revenge.

But the middle of the movie drags like no movie I've ever seen before. When they get into the cult sub-plot, which is retarded, and so many fans of the movie really like... the movie turns into pure shit.

Yet somehow I got through that and was able to have fun with the ending. The first 35-40 minutes and the last 25 or so minutes really are solid in my eyes.

The Frightmaster
03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
The only positive I can think of is the special effects. For a low, low, low budget movie, the FX were good. Other than that there's really no other redeeming qualities in my opinion.

TouchMe4Money
03-29-2009, 06:29 PM
In your opinion.