PDA

View Full Version : Tobe Hooper's Mortuary

Chomp_on_this
02-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I think is it's finally safe to create a thread that deals with Tobe and a zombie film project. He was originally set up to direct ROTLD 4&5, but got canned. Then he was said to be directing Brew, but THANKFULLY he got the shaft again. Now it seems Tobe has officially camped himself into directing a zombie film. And it's called Mortuary. Filming has already began and is said to be released sometime this year.

The movie is about a family that moves to the town of Arkham, Massachusetts and takes on the job of running a local funeral home, where an evil presence resides in the adjoining cemetery. The film stars Dan Byrd, Alexandra Adi, Courtney Peldon and Bug Hall.

There are some choice pics at BD: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=3273&Template=newsfull
It maybe for the 17+ age range though...a bit of nudity. So just a word of caution.

Of course the official film site is here: http://www.mortuarythemovie.com/

A set visiting here:
http://www.horrorchannel.com/dread/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=26&page=1

So what do ya think?

boogeyman87
02-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Sounds good, the picture is nice and Bug Hall is in it!

Maxvayne
02-06-2005, 03:41 PM
This looks fun!

Pugsly
02-07-2005, 08:11 AM
sounds pretty cool! gotta love the zombie films!i think we need alot more of them.:)

Chomp_on_this
02-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Yea, I just hope Tobe doesn't make it...how shall I put this?...goofy. For some reason I picture Tobe making this goofy zombie film, with funny zombies that talk...more so than in ROTLD. I hope my instincts are wrong.

Bug Hall...now thats guy played Alfalfa in the Little Rascals movie correct?

boogeyman87
02-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
Bug Hall...now thats guy played Alfalfa in the Little Rascals movie correct?

Absolutely, he also posesses one of the weirdest and coolest name in hollywood.:)

Donnie Darko
02-08-2005, 06:16 PM
man, that movie looks cool.

i know what youre saying Chomp, hopefully it will be taken seriously by the makers and will be a good installment in the zombie dvd library.

i could see this one going either way, but hopefully theyll take the "taking oneself seriously" route.

Chomp_on_this
02-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Yea, from the pics, the movie looks pretty cool. The setting seems pretty creepy atleast. But the whole mortuary thing just seems to scream RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD to me. Hopefully Tobe won't disappoint!

BTW..Nice avatar Donnie D...! Baby's ass looks so good in that particular scene.

Michaeleon
02-09-2005, 08:46 PM
I like what I see so far, the artwork on the website is great eye candy.

The site and it's content seem to carry a serious tone, so let's hope that's true for the film iteself.

I don't recognize many names on the cast list so far. But... Ten bucks says Alfalfa becomes an appetizer.

Donnie Darko
02-09-2005, 09:27 PM
id almost bet ya just so when ya won we could giggle about it.

you do have a good point about the site and content looking like its being straight up.
i really like that Mortuary font theyve got going on.

the movie does seem to be kinda cool, wheather its one of the better zombie flicks or just a cheese fest. it looks interesting.

was there any kind of release date thrown out there. ive not seen anything so far, just "post production"

thanks for the compliment Chomp. yours is pretty professional itself. you know i like it.

boogeyman87
02-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Michaeleon
I like what I see so far, the artwork on the website is great eye candy.

The site and it's content seem to carry a serious tone, so let's hope that's true for the film iteself.

I don't recognize many names on the cast list so far. But... Ten bucks says Alfalfa becomes an appetizer.

I'll wager that bet. I dont believe Tobe let alone any other director would kill off the famous Bug Hall. I mean, its like spitting on the Bible..

Michaeleon
02-10-2005, 06:21 AM
The music on the website is also a plus, I take it we are hearing part of the score for the film.

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
was there any kind of release date thrown out there. ive not seen anything so far, just "post production"

Yeah, I've only seen "TBA 2005" and "Post-Production" around the web. It's still very early in post-production so perhaps a summer or a fall release, which is always the best time to release such flicks.

Originally posted by boogeyman87
I'll wager that bet. I dont believe Tobe let alone any other director would kill off the famous Bug Hall. I mean, its like spitting on the Bible..
We shall see my good man, we shall see.
ps. I'll send you my address ASAP for the $10. ;)

I found this short article on the web (http://horror.about.com/b/a/2004_04_18.htm) with a bit more information on the plot.

A few days ago, I posted that Tobe Hooper (director of the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre") will be making a zombie movie called "Mortuary". The folks at Fangoria have interviewed co-writer Adam Gierasch, who tells the magazine that it is "not not a zombie movie but it isnít a zombie movie in the traditional sense of the word either." It turns out the film is actually based on the Lovecraft Cthulhu mythos, "about a family whose dad buys a cemetery/mortuary in Arkham, Massachusetts, and spooky hijinx ensue."

Spooky hijinx ensue? I have a feeling one of those pesky voodoo high priestesses of trinidad fits in this equation somewhere. :p

zombie commando
02-12-2005, 08:42 AM
I love Tobe Hooper for his contributions to the genre with TCM and Poltergeist, but I think it's safe to say that after looking over his track record he got lucky with those movies.

With that said I don't have extremely high hopes for anything he sends our way, I just hope for a good horror flick to down a six pack to....

urbanchaos
05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
i see it last night. awsome movie;)

Chomp_on_this
05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by urbanchaos
i see it last night. awsome movie;)

You do realize you're in the minority here?

MMyers89
05-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
You do realize you're in the minority here?

So I'm guessing this movie blows?

Even worth a watch?

Femanizer
05-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Watch the first half, then find something else to do and pretend it ended well.

MMyers89
05-04-2006, 02:07 PM
So is it even a zombie movie?

Degenerate
05-05-2006, 08:47 AM
no... lol. But it is really close to it... more of an Evil Dead Alien movei... you know... the dead takes over the living and leads thier normal lives and then they get angry and try to kill everyone... It is ok... kind of mediocore thought...

mr32
05-09-2007, 08:37 AM
I bought this movie for $6 at Wal-Mart now i see why its so damn cheap, its fucking trash, the first half is okay but the end was fucking stupid. Poor CGI effect. Please Dont Waste Your Time With This Movie!!!!!!!!!

Rich
05-28-2007, 09:22 AM
I rented this when it first came out and then re-watched it on the sci-fi channel. I thought it was actually a good film. I mean, I'm sure if it came out in the 1980s it would have been theatrical, but times changed (not for the better). I thought this was a very similar movie to Slither but a million times better. It is a throw back to Night of the Creeps.

Khan
05-28-2007, 09:46 AM
I am skipping this.

mr32
05-30-2007, 11:30 PM
I am skipping this.

Please please do, the last 15 or 20 mins will just piss you off.

DarknessBDJM
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Fine popcorn flick, but probably would have worked better as a more serious film ala Toolbox Murders.

Of course killing off Dan Byrd at the end sucked, but really nothing new to zombie film fans in killing off the hero at the end.

brain eater
07-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow...this movie was crap.

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 03:18 AM
I dont even consider this a zombie movie, And it really sucked.

Khan
07-23-2007, 04:17 AM
Please please do, the last 15 or 20 mins will just piss you off.

Since I am not seeing it, please elablorate.

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Since I am not seeing it, please elablorate.

Its just silly.

Khan
07-25-2007, 05:04 AM
I remember having high hopes for this, but Tobe Hooper hasn't done a good film in years.

Shamrock-Robot
07-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah Tobe has alot of stinkers under his belt, Maybe he can finally do another good film when he does Tequila Joe.

cinezombi
07-28-2007, 02:04 PM
It was silly but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Shamrock-Robot
07-29-2007, 03:01 AM
Tobe could have done better.

Severed
09-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Tobe could have done better.

I agree. Toolbox Murders was a much better movie, IMO. To me, Mortuary was kind of boring. Not a horrible film, but there are much better horror b-movies out there.

wyatt s
09-11-2007, 05:01 PM
This is not a particularly good movie, it had the potential to be but it never makes it. It's not a train wreck though like some people have told me.