PDA

View Full Version : Joy Ride

theoutfieldguy
12-19-2004, 11:08 AM
One of the best films of the last 5 years.Joy Ride is the story of two guys who play a prank on a big bad trucker and begin to become terrorized by the S.O.What?

This quickly became one of my favorites,and I was lucky enough to catch it in theatres multiple times.I wouldnt mind seeing a sequel and finding out the whereabouts of Rusty Nail.

Who else loves this film.

BTW,I believe this to be the only Joy Ride thread on here.I searched and searched and even got this:vBulletin Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
:D

Superman
12-19-2004, 11:10 AM
I love this movie as well. It was entertaining the whole way through. The dvd is awesome with all the extras and alternate endings...a must have for any collection. Makes you want to think twice about pranking someone...be it on a CB or the phone.

Franchise
12-19-2004, 11:14 AM
We had this at the old board, but not here yet. I loved this flick as well. The voice was just kick ass that they used. It would have been tons cooler if he'd have used, "It puts the lotion on its skin." But, it was great anyways. There's nothing like revenge.

boogeyman87
12-19-2004, 12:32 PM
I loved this film. Paul Walker was pretty good in the film, but Steve Zahn was awesome. I like how the ending is left open for something else but it probably wont be happening. Good movie.

Laow-Z
12-19-2004, 12:49 PM
I have this and like it as well. The guy with his jaw ripped off was fuuuuucked up:eek: Rusty Nail did have a cool CB voice.........candycane...candycane

Superman
12-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Laow-Z
I have this and like it as well. The guy with his jaw ripped off was fuuuuucked up:eek: Rusty Nail did have a cool CB voice.........candycane...candycane Yes...a sequel would be great. I don't know if they should bring back anyone but the "voice". Make it some other poor saps for him to terrorize.

Kara Strode
12-19-2004, 12:59 PM
I almost watched this last night...weird ;)

I liked this movie..I think a sequel might work. (Look at me, using ellipses...I'm all paranoid about it cuz Matt mentioned using them)

I know Ashleigh likes this movie. It has her man in it ;)

Hall9ween
12-19-2004, 02:07 PM
I really liked this movie as well (weird it was called Road Kill in the UK and not Joy Ride). Anyway, it's still the same movie.

When I first watched it, I was a bit worried after the bloke getting his jaw ripped off, 'cause I didn't see the point in it. The movie is still cool though, and Leelee Sebowski looked very nice in it.

Beau
12-19-2004, 02:46 PM
I thought this movie was very good, good acting. I can't say enought good things about this movie.

Moron86
12-19-2004, 02:57 PM
I actually really liked this movie. I was pretty surprised, it's hard to have great expectations for horror/suspense in the 90s movies, but this one was done very well. Rusty Nail's voice was perfect and definitely added a lot to the story. The actors all did a very good job with their roles, and it really lent to story. I have to pick this up at Best Buy one of these days.

theoutfieldguy
12-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by boogeyman87
I loved this film. Paul Walker was pretty good in the film, but Steve Zahn was awesome. I like how the ending is left open for something else but it probably wont be happening. Good movie.

Hell yeah.Steve Zahn was the most believeable character actor in a horror film of recent memory.And he was funny as hell,too "tank-you" and "we got a sit-g-ation?":D

Blackesteyes
12-20-2004, 09:25 AM
weird, i thought you were talking about a movie Roadkill ripped off until i realised it was the same movie with a different name. So annoying when they change names for films in different countries.

MichaelMyers
12-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Joyride was a good movie. Paul Walker and Steve Zahn were awesome in it. It was hilarious when they tricked the Rusty Nails into thinking they were a girl named Candy Cane. It left it open for a sequel. Do you think that they will make one? I would really like to see a Joyride 2.

Michaeleon
12-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Joy Ride was a breath of fresh air; it carried on that mood of gradual suspense that left the audience peeled to the screen. I rented it expecting it to at minimal keep me awake yet found it to engulf my attention.
Rusty Nail lived the life of a trucker; he knew the twists and turns of the roads and just how to use his tools for exploitation. That is what makes the film scary, the antagonist is not a ghoul or satanic spawn from beyond the grave but an everyday person smeared with a psychotic mindset. The crackling sound of the CB even plays on your nerves with a string of questions- what now, where is he, can he see me?

And of course, the lovely Leelee Sebowski graces the screen with her presence so thatís another plus for me!

ten31
12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Ted Levine was perfect as the voice of Rusty Nail.

Cruel Intentions
12-20-2004, 02:25 PM
It was really a one time entertaining viewing for me.

scream_sayonara
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
I just found this thread...I love this movie. I had already been following Steve Zahn as a comedic actor, but he gave a great performance in this thriller.
Very underrated

Mr.Garrett81
07-26-2005, 06:36 PM
This is the only good Paul Walker movie that I have seen. This movie was suprisingly kickass! I dont think there should be a sequel to it. Leave it alone and let it sit as an awesome stand alone horror movie.

It's Neal
07-26-2005, 08:03 PM
I love it, its one of my favorites of the B horror movies. Highly underated!

DarknessBDJM
07-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I liked it a lot.

Reminded me of Duel and The Hitcher.

JWILL2
07-27-2005, 02:51 PM
i was a big fan of this movie as well....wouldnt mind a sequel

Ana-Matronic
07-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Loved the movie, and the bum-age wasnt bad either!
Not sure about a sequel but i did love this movie!

Buffy
07-27-2005, 11:17 PM
I hate this movie... 1 reason why Leelee Sobieski, shes awful and not nice to look at on screen - I am supposed to beleive she and Paul Walker are an item? And after her stupid 9/11 poem on Leno I can't stand to look at her. Great story, bad casting on the chick front.

Besides I like Tobey Maguires version better.

yensed
07-28-2005, 12:34 AM
This is 1 of my favorite Horror movies ever. IMO the acting and casting was exelent! It was weird to see Steve zane in a mostly dramatic role, and he did a very well job ! Its also is 1 of the most satisfieing dvds i have ever watched/owned. all the alturnate/extended/deleted scenes could have been put together and made a Joy Ride P-Cut! Btw, if you ever watch this movie on FX or any other normal cable channel its hilarious because they have to cut out 30mins(give it take) of the beginning of the movie because they don't want people pulling that prank.
Edit~ As for a Joy Ride 2, I have wanted one ever since the first time i seen Joy Ride! I think they could actually make a good sequel as long as they can get Steve Zane and Paul Walker back!

Todd
07-28-2005, 08:04 AM
I really liked this movie, but I see no need for a sequel. With that said, I'd watch a sequel just out of curiosity.

Ashleigh
07-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Never saw this thread way back in December. Oh well, I'll still reply in it now since somebody bumped it. :D

Um...I love this movie. Moreso because of Paul Walker (;))...he's just so fucking hot. :D The acting was subpar, but I thought the plot was great. This is SOOO not a one-time viewing type of movie. If you have the Special Edition DVD, there's like 3 alternate endings. I highly suggest you purchase it. So yeah, I love the movie.

P.S. Leelee Sobieski sucks and she's fugly.

That is all.

tone
07-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Great to hear of others who liked this movie. I really enjoyed it too, not too cheesy and very entertaining!

Was very sceptical when I first saw it... memories of Jeepers Creepers and other 'teeny' recent horror flicks.

Iammrtwisted
07-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Just found this thread. I liked the movie. I would like to see a sequel. The ending left it open for one.

SamhainxDreamz
08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Man... when I saw this movie, I was freaking out.

My friend and I were in a hotel somwhere between Chicago, IL and Salt Lake City, UT because we were on our way to the Winter Olympics... we ordered one of those in-room movies and our pick was Joy Ride.

The hotel we were at JUST HAPPENED to be on the same interstate that they are on in the movie. We ordered a pizza and nearing the end, when its really suspenseful, someone was knocking LOUD and hard on the door. It freaked me out and I hid in the bathroom.

I was such an idiotic 18/19 year old. lol.

yensed
08-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by SamhainxDreamz
Man... when I saw this movie, I was freaking out.

My friend and I were in a hotel somwhere between Chicago, IL and Salt Lake City, UT because we were on our way to the Winter Olympics... we ordered one of those in-room movies and our pick was Joy Ride.

The hotel we were at JUST HAPPENED to be on the same interstae that they are on in the movie. We ordered a pizza and nearing the end, when its really suspenseful, someone was knocking LOUD and hard on the door. It freaked me out and I hid in the bathroom.

I was such an idiotic 18/19 year old. lol. HAHAHAHA!:D Welcome to OHMB!

45 Lampkin Lane
08-15-2005, 02:36 PM
This was a great flick, CANDYCANE. LOL.

Buffy
08-15-2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Ashleigh

That is all.

Exactly she ruins the entire thing. :P

Ravenheart
08-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ten31
Ted Levine was perfect as the voice of Rusty Nail.

I really like this movie.I watch it all the time and I agree,Ted Levine was great.When I first saw this and heard that voice,I knew it from somewhere but couldn't remember from where.A few days later I watched Silence of the Lambs and remembered :D If they make a sequel he should definately come back as the voice of Rusty Nail.

JOeKER
08-16-2005, 06:50 AM
I was very impressed the first time I watched this. I didn't expect it to be as good. I'd also like to mention that I'm glad they used the ending that they did and not the alternate original ending on the DVD and VHS special features.

benluvin
08-16-2005, 09:03 AM
i liked this movie a lot. i thought the actors were good and believabe, and it is a freaky type atmosphere. i dont think a sequeal is needed, but id still see it.

theoutfieldguy
08-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Ashleigh

That is all.

The titty through the shirt nipple shot wasnt half bad though.:D

Angel
08-22-2005, 12:46 AM
The first time I watched Joy Ride, I thought it was fucked up, but I continued to watch because of Paul Walker.

writer93
08-22-2005, 06:54 AM
i thought it was a great movie. ive watched probably ten times, in my dvd player, and on channell FX.

Raechull
08-22-2005, 04:13 PM
i liked the movie. I was reminded of it recently when my friend and I were driving down the highway. He has a lil CB radio and T-tops so all the truckers can look down into the car. He turned on the radio and the truckers were talking about me. I wanted to get on there and act like I was Candy-Kane...but he wouldnt let me :(.

Cool movie...and Paul Walker is hot as hell.

FooFighters
08-26-2007, 11:25 AM
I really love this movie and that's because I can really picture myself in this position. Rusty Nails is creepy as hell!

Man In Black
08-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I really like this movie. Used to watch it quite a bit when I first got it on DVD in '02. I'll have to stick it in someday.

FooFighters
09-20-2007, 04:51 PM
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070918_fox_on_another_joyride.html

Another horrible idea.

Frazetta
09-20-2007, 05:42 PM
I've always liked Joyride. In ways it reminded me of a film Carpenter would have done after Halloween. It had a great slow build of suspense & Ted Levine was perfect as Rusty Nail's voice.

FooFighters
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I agree. I loved Joy Ride, but I totally disagree with a sequel.

viperswat
09-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I never really liked straight-to-DVD sequels completely devoid of the cast and crew that worked on the original. I think the From Dusk Til Dawn sequels are an exception, but I believe Robert Rodriguez still helped with them; I know he at least wrote the third and may have directed it too, but I dunno.

Yeah, this and Wrong Turn 2 = bad ideas.

wyatt s
09-20-2007, 09:30 PM
I never really liked straight-to-DVD sequels completely devoid of the cast and crew that worked on the original. I think the From Dusk Til Dawn sequels are an exception, but I believe Robert Rodriguez still helped with them; I know he at least wrote the third and may have directed it too, but I dunno.

As far as I know Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez served as Executive Producers (maybe just producers) but that was it. As far as I know that is.

viperswat
09-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Looking it up on IMDB, Robert did write the story for the third, his brother served as screenwriter.

mmyers78
09-22-2007, 09:25 AM
I loved this film, it was really entertaining all the way through, and Paul Walker was at his best in this flick.

Ashleigh
12-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh wow. I was just reading through all of the replies in this thread and this is the first time, to my recollection, that everyone in here liked or loved the movie. I am actually pretty shocked since there were no big time actors and the plot was your standard run-of-the-mill for stories such as this. I have no other point than that and I think it's pretty cool that everyone's in agreement about how entertaining this movie is. :)

It's Neal
12-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Paul Walker is pretty big time

Severed
12-02-2007, 01:29 PM

Yeah, this and Wrong Turn 2 = bad ideas.

I also thought that Wrong Turn 2 would be a bad idea, and it turned out to be a really good fim. I will give Joyride 2 a chance. I thought the first one was very enjoyable.

PG Soul
12-02-2007, 02:14 PM
This film is called Roadkill in the UK it was good but it would have been better if they had the Roxette song play during the end credits.

Ashleigh
12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Paul Walker is pretty big time

You think? I mean sure he's been in some pretty big box office hits recently, but really he's just a pretty face. Which is alright by me. :D

Frazetta
12-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Paul Walker is pretty big in the crotch Why NCamp......who knew?????

HalloweeN63
12-03-2007, 12:07 AM
you guys ever wonder what happened to the truck driver? man...

.....HE'S RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

no haha, in all honestly, i'd be driving out there for hours at a time, and i'd grab the CB and start askin for candy cane in some weird ass voice. the other truckers would be like, "she aint around here driver", or "i got your candy cane right here!". good times.

Severed
12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
This film is called Roadkill in the UK it was good but it would have been better if they had the Roxette song play during the end credits.

:roflmao:

Dr Hoffman
12-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I thought this movie was so much better than i had expected it to be, and Ted Levine did a great job as Rusty Nail, a sequel is a terrible idea though.

PG Soul
12-03-2007, 01:33 PM
you guys ever wonder what happened to the truck driver? man...

.....HE'S RIGHT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

no haha, in all honestly, i'd be driving out there for hours at a time, and i'd grab the CB and start askin for candy cane in some weird ass voice. the other truckers would be like, "she aint around here driver", or "i got your candy cane right here!". good times.

Did you ever meet Mother Trucker? She kills Truckers. Obviously you didn't meet her, otherwise, you'd be dead!:nodsmile:

Also, Jennifer, you best watch out for Jennifer she causes vehicles in particular trucks to over turn, one moment she's on the road and the next she is sitting right next to you in the truck! They call her Witchy Hitcher!:bigeyes::nodsmile:

Ashleigh
12-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Why NCamp......who knew?????

LMFAO. I kept scrolling up and looking for when he said that, but yeah, he didn't. :p Pretty funny shit.

Frazetta
12-03-2007, 09:11 PM
LMFAO. I kept scrolling up and looking for when he said that, but yeah, he didn't. :p Pretty funny shit. What else can I say???? I am full of funny shit:bigeyes:

HalloweeN63
12-04-2007, 03:22 AM
your shit comes out tellin' jokes?! amazing.

Frazetta
12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
your shit comes out tellin' jokes?! amazing.
Actually my shit sends the jokes to my brain right before I drop the kids off at the pool :nodsmile:

HalloweeN63
12-04-2007, 04:24 PM
haha, the cosby kids haha.

Frazetta
12-04-2007, 06:16 PM
haha, the cosby kids haha.:laugh:! Nice...I'venever heard that one before. I prefer to call them Bebe's kids :nodsmile:

Chaosboy
12-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I've passed by this thread a dozen times before my faultering and shorted out mind said "Hey we know this one!" I liked this as well.....I liked Leelee Sobieski too....I think he's pretty hot..she kinda reminds me of a young Helen Hunt. I thought that the bad guy got blown away in the end...? no?
what did happen??

HalloweeN63
12-05-2007, 02:15 AM
what??? well, werent' there like 4 alternate endings? you may have saw one of those. man i really don't know. it's been a while since i've watched the movie.

Chaosboy
12-05-2007, 05:27 AM
what??? well, werent' there like 4 alternate endings? you may have saw one of those. man i really don't know. it's been a while since i've watched the movie.

4 endings!?!....well now I haven't a clue how it ends!! LOL

Khan
12-05-2007, 06:05 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206314/alternateversions

There are indeed four alternate endings.

Jeanette
12-05-2007, 08:07 AM
I've passed by this thread a dozen times before my faultering and shorted out mind said "Hey we know this one!" I liked this as well.....I liked Leelee Sobieski too....I think he's pretty hot..she kinda reminds me of a young Helen Hunt. I thought that the bad guy got blown away in the end...? no?
what did happen??

What exactly do you find so hot about LeeLee (what kinda name is that??)

She is totally FUGLY IMO. Her face is all flat looking and the nose is so huge I wonder if she is related to Big Bird :eek: Having to look at her big mug was just plain disgusting. Nearly wrecked the movie for me. No way a super hot dude like that is gonna go gagga over her ish...........

Oh yeah I loved the movie and would watch a sequel on a rent only basis. Candy Cane scary dude for sure.

Chaosboy
12-05-2007, 11:03 AM
What exactly do you find so hot about LeeLee (what kinda name is that??)

She is totally FUGLY IMO. Her face is all flat looking and the nose is so huge I wonder if she is related to Big Bird :eek: Having to look at her big mug was just plain disgusting. Nearly wrecked the movie for me. No way a super hot dude like that is gonna go gagga over her ish...........

Oh yeah I loved the movie and would watch a sequel on a rent only basis. Candy Cane scary dude for sure.

each to their own I guess.....

FooFighters
12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Good film.

Rusty Nails is a creepy guy!!!

you
12-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Joyride is an great ride movie

The Frightmaster
11-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I really enjoy this film.

HalloweeN63
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I really enjoy this film.

well, aren't you on a thread bumpin' joy ride today!? :p

The Frightmaster
11-30-2008, 05:31 PM
well, aren't you on a thread bumpin' joy ride today!? :p

Well as long as someone doesn't come along and rip my jaw off or more appropriately my hands, I may continue this joy ride. :

Oh and I must say I really liked Joy Ride 2 also. Probably the best DTV movie I've seen. :nodsmile:

SlasherBoi
12-01-2008, 04:28 PM
This is one of my favorite Thrillers ever! Rusty Nail sure has a creepy voice that could scare the pants off just about anyone!

Twisted Sister
12-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Same here, Slasherboi :). It's such a fun movie, and really, I can't the interstate without thinking about it :)

HaddonfieldSpy
12-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Yes, this was a creepy movie. Just thinking about the part with the leg in the pole-thing makes me cringe. OUCH!!!

theshape09
12-08-2008, 08:44 AM
yeah it was pretty fun and thrilling. has anyone seen the sequel? i saw it it was pretty cool

Twisted Sister
12-08-2008, 10:05 AM
I haven't. Sometimes I think "leave well enough alone". How would you rate it against the first?

Pepperkin
12-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Joyride is a really good film. Takes Duel to a whole new level.
From watching the special edition dvd it is clear that they picked the best possible voice for Rusty Nail.

Eric Roberts sounded awful trying to do it. Stephen Shellen had a somewhat creepy voice but there is just something about Ted Levine's voice.
He doesn't even have to try to sound creepy and it works.

Rusty Nail in the original movie was mysterious. You don't really know what drove him to take things as far as he did. Was he driven mad by too much time on the road?

In the sequel he seemed more like any other horror movie killer.
From the very start of the movie where he kills a lady in such a fashion where you will probably roll your eyes.

I'm not saying the sequel is garbage because it does have it's moments.
I just wouldn't rank it on par with the first one.

benluvin
12-09-2008, 12:16 PM
So Rusty Nail is the killer in the sequel to? I figured it would be a different killer.

theshape09
12-10-2008, 04:58 AM
no he's still the killer and in response to twisted sister i would say that it's not as good as the first one but the deaths are wayy better and it's still a pretty fun ride

Twisted Sister
12-10-2008, 05:39 AM
I'll have to give it a try then, thank you! Don't worry about spoilers with me :) I can pretty much figure what the heck is going on :)

Laurie Strode
12-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Good movie. I always enjoy watching it once in a while.

Twisted Sister
12-12-2008, 06:43 PM
I love that they use the Old 97's in the soundtrack too (Weightless) - one of my favorite tunes and such a great driving song.
I think about this movie every time I take a long trip on the interstates. :)

Pepperkin
12-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Anyone on the ohmb have a cb?
I had one in the late '70's i got off my brother in law.
I bet you the damn thing might still work.

Ever curious about CB Slang?
http://www.cbgazette.com/slang.html

theoutfieldguy
12-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Yea I gotta get the 2nd one myself.I'm waiting for it to drop lower than $20,though.I refuse to pay that much for any single DVD.

I actually stayed in the town where they filmed the movie one night last year and sure enough when I was checking out,the cops were checking in-the next room over there was some kind of disturbance so I left town early in the morning,like 5 or 6 I was on the road.

Twisted Sister
12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Cool :) Where did they film it?

theoutfieldguy
12-18-2008, 01:40 PM

Well,the part that I was at was Green River,Utah.I think the rest was shot throughout Utah,Colorado and maybe Montana or something.

theshape09
12-21-2008, 06:18 AM

sooo did u see it yet ?

Twisted Sister
12-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Nope! Not yet...haha...hopefully after the Holidays, I'll have a chance.

theshape09
12-21-2008, 10:20 AM
oh ok! but you must see it, it's actually pretty good

Twisted Sister
12-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll give you a review when I do :)

theshape09
12-22-2008, 12:56 PM
ok then

theshape09
01-25-2009, 05:36 AM
soo have u watched it yet?

Myers788
01-28-2009, 08:50 AM
I loved this movie. "Candycane". Lol

theshape09
01-30-2009, 06:41 AM
lol yeah! but r u talking 'bout the sequel?

theoutfieldguy
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
I heard the sequel sucked so I havent watched it yet.Thats been the case recently with sequels.Hollywood comes up with a good original idea every once in a while,like Joy Ride or Wrong Turn,only to be ruined by horrible follow-ups.

theshape09
01-31-2009, 12:43 AM
but joy ride 2 is actually pretty good IMO!

theoutfieldguy
01-31-2009, 02:07 PM
but joy ride 2 is actually pretty good IMO!

Maybe I'll have to check it out one of these days.

HannibalBEATNGU
01-31-2009, 02:15 PM
I think Joy Ride 2 is one of the better dtv movies.

theshape09
02-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Maybe I'll have to check it out one of these days.

yeah you should cz it's still a pretty fun ride!:nodsmile: