PDA

View Full Version : Lucio Fulci: Horror Great??

Chomp_on_this
12-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Alright now. Mavayne, CreepingMouth, and I embarked ourselves in a bit of a debate in another thread. It was a pretty interesting debate, and it wasnt the only time I had to argue a case for Lucio. So I thought I'd bring it up, to see what the majority here at the OHMB think about the man. Is Lucio Fulci cracked up as he is said to be? Is he a horror icon or an overrated insane man?

Like I have stated many times, Lucio Fulci probably has had more bad films than good, But the GOOD films he made were sooo good that they surpass ANY really bad films he released. I mean The Beyond is in level with being a horror masterpiece. And Lucio always goes over the top with the gore. It's something that just adds more to an already great film.

So what do you guys think? Is he one of the horror greats?

Creepingmouth
12-18-2004, 03:25 PM
He is one of the horror greats.He did very bad movies too but I really can't say he's overrated.When I think about zombies Lucio Fulci is one of the first directors who pop into my mind right after Romero.One thing is for sure I'd rather watchin a good Fulci movie than a good Argento's one (only to make an example).
The handicraft special effects of his movies are really impressive considering the conditions in which many times he was forced to work into (actors with no talent,lack of money,very short time for ending the shooting and so on).
Probably if you like only new generation horror movies (resident evil,the remake of dawn of the dead,jeepers creepers,the grudge....)it could be hard to appreciate Fulci's work but for people like me his movies (the good ones) are classic

Maxvayne
12-18-2004, 03:25 PM
I pretty much made my point, but I found it funny that he was mad after his wife divorced him, and in his next film,New York Ripper, he took it to the woman.

Bava loves woman, Fulci hate's woman, and Argento is afraid of woman.

Chomp_on_this
12-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Maybe I should have posted a third option...

#1 A Horror Legend
#2 An Overrated Hack
#3 Who the fuck is Lucio Fulci?

HA!

Franchise
12-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Done!

Chomp_on_this
12-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Ahhhh yes! That just made my night.

And I just want to add...anyone who choses that #3 option and doesnt post, I will personally hunt you down and shove a splinter in your eye.

Franchise
12-19-2004, 12:18 AM
While I do own a few Fulci movies, I must say that I don't enjoy them as much as the Argento classics. I find the acting that was in 7 Doors of Death (or The Beyond) and Zombie to be just horrible. The action was different though. He actually goes into stories, but the acting just doesn't hold enough water to keep me.

Chomp_on_this
12-19-2004, 12:29 AM
Well, he's definately no Argento, or Romero for that matter. But Fulci has is own certain style that does seperate him from the rest. I didn't find the acting to be a problem in The Beyond, but Zombie had a bit of some problems. Like I said, Fulci has his own style, and when you are able to distinguish that style from a film, then you know you have someone worthy of at least SOME praise.

Before Fulci died he was set to do a movie with Argento entitled Wax Mask. It was said to be a blatent rip-off of House of Wax, but goddamn....An Argento/Fulci film...that could have been something great.

Chuck D
12-19-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
#1 A Horror Legend
#2 An Overrated Hack
#3 Who the fuck is Lucio Fulci?

Dude, that poll is fucking unfair! I cant pick any of them... I just think most of his films are sub-par (some downright balls). Now, you say the films he made that were good are masterpieces in their own rights. I assume you mean;

Zombi 2
The Beyond???

...I seriously cannot think of any other film of his that I would call a classic. Gorey, yes... good? Requires much debate, I think. I remember when I saw The Beyond for the first time; and was in total awe of the guy... he had made a somewhat suspenseful and perfectly nasty flick for my liking. Then, a few days later, I saw the catastrophy that is The New York Ripper... ugh; Donald Duck slices nipples... terrible! After that I watched the dreadful Cat In A Damaged Brain... both films were weak in almost every level and it looked like Fulci was trying to score some cheap thrills and not really trying anymore. Actually, only two of his movies are really worthwhile in my opinion and I have seen them all. He has made quite a name for himself as one of the "great foreign horror film-makers" etc with his work but I dont think he should be placed high above with the excellent and far superior Dario Argento and Mario Bava! So, (if it was in your poll) I'd select;

#4 OK - Done some good films in his time

...not worthy of Horror Legend though, in my opinion...

Creepingmouth
12-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Before Fulci died he was set to do a movie with Argento entitled Wax Mask. It was said to be a blatent rip-off of House of Wax, but goddamn....An Argento/Fulci film...that could have been something great.

Maybe.Argento ended up to let Stivaletti direct that movie in 1997 and in my personal opinion it was horrible.
Of course I wouldn't say it's a rip-off of the House of Wax since both came from Gaston Leroux book,so the story is obviously similar.Bad movie anyway.

Chomp_on_this
12-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Most of Fulci's earlier films can be debated as classics. I really thought Perversion Story and Don't Torture a Duckling were to be well-made, thought provoking movies. They both were extremely oddball films, that I enjoyed.

Its really about being infamous rather than famous, kinda in an Ed Wood type of way. I mean, you can't talk about the better gore films without throwing in the name Lucio Fulci. You can't talk about the better films in the zombie genre without SOMEONE mentioning The Beyond or Zombie. The guy made it into the Top 100 Scariest Movie Moments of ALL time according to a horror panel Bravo help seed out. Among those Tom Savini, Peter Jackson, and Eli Roth, explained the talent within Lucio Fulci.

Look at Sam Raimi or Peter Jackson...both contributed well to the horror genre, both know a great deal about that type of film, but by MOST people they will not be known for creating B- horror movies entitled Bad Taste or Army of Darkness.....They WILL be known for the Spider-man's and the Lord of the Rings. Does this not mean they are not considered to be horror legends? Hell no!

With that said, Fulci DEFINATELY sneaks into the category of a horror legend.

While debating this subject, I have never really encountered anyone claiming to be in the middle. It was either you loved him or you hated him ...so sorry I did not add an option for the "middlemen"..... buuuuuuuut I just hate people who can't make up their mind, so I am gonna ask that no more options be added to the poll. I was a bit hammered when I asked for the third option last night...I was surprised to see that up there tonight.

Blackesteyes
12-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by ChuckyDarko

#4 OK - Done some good films in his time

...not worthy of Horror Legend though, in my opinion... [/B]

I'm with you on this one man, he has some okay movies but i wouldnt call him a legend. I wouldnt say he was a hack either tho, since clearly hes contributed quite a bit to the genre and probably influenced other movies too.

Maxvayne
12-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Most of Fulci's earlier films can be debated as classics. I really thought Perversion Story and Don't Torture a Duckling were to be well-made, thought provoking movies. They both were extremely oddball films, that I enjoyed.

Its really about being infamous rather than famous, kinda in an Ed Wood type of way. I mean, you can't talk about the better gore films without throwing in the name Lucio Fulci. You can't talk about the better films in the zombie genre without SOMEONE mentioning The Beyond or Zombie. The guy made it into the Top 100 Scariest Movie Moments of ALL time according to a horror panel Bravo help seed out. Among those Tom Savini, Peter Jackson, and Eli Roth, explained the talent within Lucio Fulci.

Look at Sam Raimi or Peter Jackson...both contributed well to the horror genre, both know a great deal about that type of film, but by MOST people they will not be known for creating B- horror movies entitled Bad Taste or Army of Darkness.....They WILL be known for the Spider-man's and the Lord of the Rings. Does this not mean they are not considered to be horror legends? Hell no!

With that said, Fulci DEFINATELY sneaks into the category of a horror legend.

While debating this subject, I have never really encountered anyone claiming to be in the middle. It was either you loved him or you hated him ...so sorry I did not add an option for the "middlemen"..... buuuuuuuut I just hate people who can't make up their mind, so I am gonna ask that no more options be added to the poll. I was a bit hammered when I asked for the third option last night...I was surprised to see that up there tonight.

I can go with you there. I wouldn't say he's a complete hack, he has done things for the genre, but he hasn't made a total impression.

Chomp_on_this
12-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Goddamn...who the fuck chose the #3 option? Own up to your choice, we won't make fun of you too bad ya lousy fucks.

Silverpsycho
12-21-2004, 03:23 AM
I chose overrated but I don't consider Fulci to necessarily be a "hack." Only thing of his that is somewhat enjoyable is Zombi 2 because the make-up and effects are great...but the film lacks in capturing my attention until the very end. I know he has a ton of followers...but why? Why do people choose him over Romero & Argento? He is different in style so I don't consider his films to be trash (well except for New York Ripper)...but I can't equate them in any way to the genius of Romero. Fulci's films are definitely well worth a watch at least once...but that's it...for me at least.

Franchise
12-21-2004, 03:26 AM
Goddamn...who the fuck chose the #3 option? Own up to your choice, we won't make fun of you too bad ya lousy fucks.

Just 2 morons. That's all. Just trying to get a rise out of a friend of mine. Isn't that right you 2? ;)

zombie commando
04-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Fulci is the undisputed king of gore.

His movies are great to watch with a six pack, a pizza, and a group of friends. The things that really stand out about his films are the shocking, uncompromising visions of horror that they present, but I never really felt his movies went deeper than that. I remember reading an interview with him where he told the interviewer that he just wanted to make movies that presented nightmare visions; movies that, like a nightmare, the audience breathes a sigh of relief once the threat of evil is gone. He wasn't really as concerned with creating movies that were deep on any textural level. He wanted to make movies with visions of terror, movies that appeal aesthetically to the gorehounds, and I think he really did that with Zombi 2, Don't Torture a Duckling, and The Beyond.

However when one focuses so much on the visual flair of the film other things tend to suffer. He hated stars so the acting in his films were typically sub par, the storylines were sometimes convulted, and the dialogue really wasn't much to write home about either. As a result most of his movies tend to suck.

So is he a legend of horror? I definitely think so. He's contributed so much to the genre that it's hard to write him off for his failures. He's inspired quite a few people with his unflinching horror films, and really upped the par on gore. He may not be the horror genius that many fans make him out to be, but his unique style of film making really left a mark that cements his 'legend' status.

boogeyman87
04-18-2005, 07:44 PM

I just did. I have no idea who the guy is.:yar:

Chomp_on_this
04-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Well you are missing out buddy. The guy was a master in the FX department. Fulci was doing things Savini did 5 years later.

Awesome insight there ZC...you made some excellent points. Take note Maxvayne! ;)

Maxvayne
04-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Well you are missing out buddy. The guy was a master in the FX department. Fulci was doing things Savini did 5 years later.

Awesome insight there ZC...you made some excellent points. Take note Maxvayne! ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I will man:D

I'd also like to say Fulci's Horror-Dark Comedy Touch of Death comes out the 26th.

I might have to check it out at that cheap price.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MBI000507

zombie commando
04-20-2005, 05:36 AM

Awesome insight there ZC...you made some excellent points. Take note Maxvayne! ;) Gracias muchacho.

Desperado Dave
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Lucio Fulci truly was a strange filmmaker. Simply put he was hit or miss and sometimes both in the same movie. Fans are in the middle. Talentless hack who can only do a gore flick, others an Icon of horror.

I really have never seen so many people split on one filmmaker. Don't Torture a Duckling I think shows the talent of Fulci on how he can tell a story with very little gore and despite it's flaws The Black Cat focuses more on suspesne. Very little gore.

I believe Fulci had more to offer than gore. Problem is his movies were so gory people don't always realize his flicks had some solid tension and a great creepy vibe.

Of course if you hate his work none of that is there LOL.

Like I said he was hit or miss sometimes in the same movie. The New York Ripper is a prime example. The movie had so much going for it, but the nudity and sex take a way (can't believe I said that LOL). The damn duck voice UGH!

But other times he did well with the movie. I am and always will be a Lucio Fulci fan. Sure his movies may not make the most sense at times and he has plenty of WTF moments.

But he knows how to create tension and can tell a story aghain Don't Torture a Duckling. That movie features one of the most chilling motives for a killer and all the stuff implied, but never stated.

Fulci is my 3rd fave horror filmmaker.

Khan
07-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Horror legend!

WhiteZombie
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I call him a great. I havitn seen enough of his flicks to form a real good opinion. But i do own Zombi 2, and love the shit out of it. The last scenes, in the barnyard are awesome, awesome. The gore is nice too, definetly on Savini ranks.

Desperado Dave
07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Savini is great, but I prefer Giannetto De Rossi who did the F/X for Zombi 2.

De Rossi has worked with Fulci a couple of times and has even done some American movies as well.

Tom Savini is a master at what he does, but like I said I prefer De Rossi

Khan
07-11-2007, 12:58 PM
The zombies in Zombi 2 look great.

WhiteZombie
07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
The zombies in Zombi 2 look great.

Yeah they really do. The whole...rotting/decaying look kicks ass.

Khan
07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4697/bzeqg5.jpg

Fulci also gave us great zombies in City Of The Living Dead and The Beyond.

WhiteZombie
07-11-2007, 09:09 PM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4697/bzeqg5.jpg

Fulci also gave us great zombies in City Of The Living Dead and The Beyond.

Fucking wicked. Thats the picture i plan on putting on my Grade 12 grad bio picture. That, with the words "Some day..". Freak people out a bit.ha.

Hallow's Eve
07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
A Horror Legend for sure! "Zombie", "The Beyond", "City of the Living Dead", "House by the Cemetary", all classics.

Chomp_on_this
07-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Lucio Fulci is the man....I'm going to go watch Murder Rock now.

Siouxsie
07-20-2007, 10:31 PM
i like some things about his films, but i think they are kind of boring.

Shamrock-Robot
07-21-2007, 03:59 AM
Ive only seen Zombi so far and I thought it was great, I would like to see more of Fulci's films.

Khan
07-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Here are some more of his films to check out

-The Beyond
-House By The Cemetery
-City Of The Living Dead

Desperado Dave
07-21-2007, 08:04 AM
This is my top 10 Fulci flicks

Dont Torture a Duckling
The Beyond
The House by the Cemetery
The New York Ripper
City of the Living Dead
Zombie 3
Zombie
The Black Cat
Contraband
The House of Clocks

I'm kinda torn between The House of Clocks & Lizard in a Woman's Skin. I felt both movies were average at best.

wyatt s
07-21-2007, 08:21 AM
-House By The Cemetery
-City Of The Living Dead

Those two are my favorite Fulci films.

Khan
07-21-2007, 08:38 AM
House By The Cemetary gets ripped on a lot from what I have seen, but I don't take the movie as seriously as something like The Beyond.

It is a fun gorefest to me.

Shamrock-Robot
07-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I cant wait to check those out, Ive become somewhat of a gorehound lately anyway.

Khan
07-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Even since I saw House By The Cemetery, I developed a taste for gory movies.

Shamrock-Robot
07-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Movies like Hostel and Romero's Dead films are what done it for me, Ever since I seen those I have a love for gore.

MaDMaNMaRz
01-24-2008, 01:31 AM
While I do own a few Fulci movies, I must say that I don't enjoy them as much as the Argento classics. I find the acting that was in 7 Doors of Death (or The Beyond) and Zombie to be just horrible. The action was different though. He actually goes into stories, but the acting just doesn't hold enough water to keep me.

The Diamond Entertainment DVD of The Beyond (which they renamed The Seven Doors of Death) is HORRIBLE! :X The transfer is god awful, and it's terribly edited. That DVD is not a good representation of The Beyond at all. :(

mmyers78
01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I think that he's good, but he's definitley no Argento or Romero.

MaDMaNMaRz
01-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I do like Argento, but I personally find quite a few of his movies to be overrated.

horrornut
06-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Just picked up a print of Zombi 2....can't wait to see it on a big screen. It's been years!!!

JOeKER
06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Legend. My reasons... Zombi 2 and The Beyond.

TouchMe4Money
06-27-2009, 04:54 AM
I do like Argento, but I personally find quite a few of his movies to be overrated.
Argento could never be overrated. Unless his films were compared to his own films.

Legend. My reasons... Zombi 2 and The Beyond.
They had their good qualities, but just as many bad qualities too.

horrornut
06-27-2009, 05:32 AM
IMO Fulci is a horror legend in his own right. His films have a loyal following. Most members of this forum are simply not old enough to have been around when this icon did his business.

TouchMe4Money
06-27-2009, 06:07 AM
IMO Fulci is a horror legend in his own right.
Well, he certainly made enough films to be some kind of legend. But I consider that more of a freak-of-nature occurence than him being a great filmmaker. He made many horror films when the Italian film industry was geared toward that product.

His films have a loyal following.
Don't remind me. :D :satan:

Most members of this forum are simply not old enough to have been around when this icon did his business.
I'm 27 and I've seen his stuff via DVD. Which is not a bad way for someone who doesn't know about him to get to know more.

SlasherBoi
06-27-2009, 12:40 PM
TBH, I don't even know who Lucio Fulci is but then again I'm not big on Zombie films so that would explain alot.

TouchMe4Money
07-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Well- have you ever seen an Italian horror film before?

If you love slashers (and I know you do), Dario Argento might be more up your alley.

EvilOnTwoLegs
07-06-2009, 12:03 PM
In Zombi 2, there is a fight between a zombie and a shark. I think this scene alone pretty much sews up "Legend" status.

Sure, the zombie is just a shark trainer in waterlogged make-up...sure, the shark looks like it's doped up...sure, it's a fairly leisurely, and even repetitive scene...but none of that matters. The premise alone sells it...at the end of the day, for all its faults, the scene still depicts a ZOMBIE fighting a SHARK, goddammit! And that is legendary.

The Frightmaster
07-06-2009, 12:22 PM
The only Lucio Fulci movie I've seen is The New York Ripper and it SUCKED!

TouchMe4Money
07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
The only Lucio Fulci movie I've seen is The New York Ripper and it SUCKED!
I'd advise you at least check out City of the Living Dead.

(And of course NYR sucked, it's misogynistic sleazy trash)

horrornut
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
In Zombi 2, there is a fight between a zombie and a shark. I think this scene alone pretty much sews up "Legend" status.

Sure, the zombie is just a shark trainer in waterlogged make-up...sure, the shark looks like it's doped up...sure, it's a fairly leisurely, and even repetitive scene...but none of that matters. The premise alone sells it...at the end of the day, for all its faults, the scene still depicts a ZOMBIE fighting a SHARK, goddammit! And that is legendary.
I'm running a print of Zombi 2 in my screening room this weekend for the neighbors. I thought I would pass out "barf-bags" to all who attend. I'll also cut back on the butter for the popcorn!!!

TouchMe4Money
07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm running a print of Zombi 2 in my screening room this weekend for the neighbors. I thought I would pass out "barf-bags" to all who attend. I'll also cut back on the butter for the popcorn!!!
Why- because buttery-vomit smells the worst?

I hope your neighbors are appropriately shocked and horrified.

EvilOnTwoLegs
07-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I know that I'm always shocked and horrified when my host presents me with sparsely-buttered popcorn.

TouchMe4Money
07-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, if you're home-popping the corn, you've got to make it buttery.

srf nz
07-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Are people actually arguing that Fulci isn't a horror legend? That's a pretty boldly ridiculious statement, the man's clearly a horror icon, I don't really see how that's debatable.

TouchMe4Money
07-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Are people actually arguing that Fulci isn't a horror legend? That's a pretty boldly ridiculious statement, the man's clearly a horror icon, I don't really see how that's debatable.
Well- none of his signature movies were masterpieces. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't seen Don't Torture a Duckling though and I hear it's by far his best. But that's also a giallo and oftentimes, those films don't count as horror movies.

srf nz
07-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Well- none of his signature movies were masterpieces. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't seen Don't Torture a Duckling though and I hear it's by far his best. But that's also a giallo and oftentimes, those films don't count as horror movies.

I don't know about that. Zombi 2 and The Beyond are both horror classics. Just because you didn't personally enjoy them doesn't take away the fact that the majority of horror fans do. They're both cult classics, and you could even throw City of the Living Dead into that mix as well.

TouchMe4Money
07-07-2009, 01:03 AM
I don't know about that. Zombi 2 and The Beyond are both horror classics.

They're both cult classics, and you could even throw City of the Living Dead into that mix as well.
Agreed. Classic being a symbol of reputation, mainly.

Just because you didn't personally enjoy them doesn't take away the fact that the majority of horror fans do.
I enjoy parts of both. There are things he did in both movies that I haven't seen anyone do better.

But I also have to look at them objectively. They both have several huge, gaping flaws that can't be denied. And this of course goes for every film Fulci's made. He tried for something different than better directors who accomplished more, yes. But he still never made a horror masterpiece. He was talented enough to make a movie people noticed and are still talking about. And I'm still impressed with a lot of his camera moves and his taste in film composers and the dark moods of his films. But, his stories were usually complete shit or so full of holes, the film would fall apart by the end. Or in the middle. Or right at the start.

Not to mention the excruciating English translations of his dialogue. "Do Not Entry." "In you get." "That's no reason to be put in a Loony House." "Lousy lesbian!" "Either I run this hotel, or I go on Relief."

There's only one director who can get away with putting style over substance. And that's now and forever- Dario Argento. Compared to him, which Fulci will always be (probably because of his insistance on making a name for himself doing giallos, which Argento had already become a superstar in Italy for), Fulci just isn't as skilled. When people talk about how great a director Fulci was, they always bring up his giallos. So, we can't really divorce them from his career. Even though, at their best, his zombie films are unique enough to separate themselves from the entire pack of others. The atmosphere of his films was meant to carry them through the bad stories and sometimes, they did. Sometimes they didn't.

It's not really fair but that's the way it is. Actually... maybe it is fair. Because Fulci was cleary channeling Argento when he did The Beyond (the scene I'm referring to, everyone knows outright ripped off Suspiria). But again, maybe it isn't fair. Because it seemed that Fulci did one thing before Argento did. Did you notice that Argento's Tenebre has a trick in it that Fulci's Beyond did first?

zombie commando
07-07-2009, 03:41 AM
Fulci is the king of gore. Nuff said.

TouchMe4Money
07-07-2009, 04:12 AM
Actually... I think Tom Savini or Peter Jackson have probably bested him for that title.

zombie commando
07-07-2009, 05:08 AM
I guess it'd be a matter of opinion, but Fulci really started pushing the over the top splatter orgies before either Savini or Jackson entered the scene. Fulci's gore flix were more malicious than any of Jackson's horror films and I don't count Savini as a full tilt director.

TouchMe4Money
07-07-2009, 05:26 AM
I guess it'd be a matter of opinion, but Fulci really started pushing the over the top splatter orgies before either Savini or Jackson entered the scene. Fulci's gore flix were more malicious than any of Jackson's horror films and I don't count Savini as a full tilt director.
I don't either. That's not what I meant. I meant- who's known for being "the King of Gore." Whether he's a director or not, he's still famous in the horror genre for his gore effects.

But, now that I know what you mean- you're right. He is known for his films being over the top. That doesn't impress me, though. If it did- Jackson still would have bettered him with Dead Alive. Not to mention Jackson's Dead Alive and Bad Taste are better films than anything Fulci's done.

And yes, it is a matter of opinion. But I think most people would agree, if they think about it. The only thing making Fulci look better here is the darker, non-comedic tone of his films. In terms of talent and skill, Jackson's a better filmmaker in the genre.

Though most of Fulci's films are as good or much better than The Frighteners.

zombie commando
07-07-2009, 05:39 AM
I prefer Fulci's tone. I'm not as big of a fan of over the top, tongue-in-cheek horror films as I am of the darker movies of the genre. I think it's harder to be serious about a subject matter than it is to parody it.

TouchMe4Money
07-07-2009, 05:51 AM
I don't think that Jackson was outright parodying... But I know what you mean.

Fulci may have had a serious tone. But his stories were so bad, they didn't hold together over the course of a film. At least, this is what I've learned after 6 out of 8 of his most famous movies. And that would distract me from the atmosphere.

And personally, I prefer both. Mixed together or separately. I really don't prefer one over the other. I just prefer the filmmaker to make the film well. The Evil Dead was very well made and a little serious and a little not. Argento's films were all serious (before maybe Phantom of the Opera) and were almost all well made.

zombie commando
07-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Fulci never focused on story. He was all about visual stimulation; his films were constructed around very loose logic, like a nightmare unfolding on screen. If the dead did begin rising from the graves then the rules governing reality would subsequently be maleable as well. A true nightmare is one of chaos, and chaos doesn't readily adhere to scientific laws or humanistic expectation; it defies them. It's a risky approach to making film for it lends itself to harsh criticism, but I think it paid off for Fulci in the end. We wouldn't be talking about him had he had not been at least semi-successful at realizing his artistic vision.

TouchMe4Money
07-07-2009, 07:26 AM
You know- that's a great explanation and I buy it too. Up to a point.

But after that, it just comes down to film craftsmanship. Even chaos onscreen has to be carefully moderated and controlled. I think other filmmakers have made chaotic horror scenes and films and made them with more control. Fulci's films overall just felt so sloppy and too loose.

Though some scenes he directed were fantastic. One of my favorites and one of his best is in The Beyond, when Liza goes to Room 36 and slowly takes a look around. I think everything about that scene was pitch perfect. Starting with some kind of stranger slowly clopping around on the deck/porch. On my third viewing of the film, that scene legitimately spooked me. The tension was so well built, that the slighest detail - that creeking dresser cabinet door - gave me a startle.

If only he could ever make an entire movie with that kind of skill and compact direction- he never did. Which I know others admire, and almost makes his movies fun or silly trash. And, if he was a smarter and better filmmaker than he let on, that kind of leaves open the possibility that he was short-changing or looking down on the audiences. Thinking the gratuitous gore was all we cared about. I'm kinda here to say- his gore scenes were always the lesser elements in his supernatural / zombie films.

EvilOnTwoLegs
07-07-2009, 11:44 AM
There's only one director who can get away with putting style over substance.

What do you mean only one director can get away with it? TONS of directors get away with it all the time. haha Quentin Tarantino probably being the predminant modern example. The man's built an entire career on cobbling together "substance" that is nothing more that a series of homages and pop culture references, while thriving due to his distinctive filmmaking style.

Now, if you mean in Italian horror, let's face it...Italian horror is, for the most part, traditionally ALL about style over substance. Though I'll agree that Argento does it best. And not only best, but most thoroughly. His films are so centered on style that he often seems to willfully forego substance altogether.

"Style over substance" is generally used as a dig, and primarily one used against filmmakers, specifically...but personally, I think it's a valid form of artistic expression in any medium. And in fact, when it comes to literature, I'm actually a proponent of style over substance. A good story quickly turns to shit, in my opinion, if the author's prose style sucks.

I think that "style over substance" is no worse than, and in many cases is actually preferable to, substance over style. Striking a balance is ideal, but difficult...and if one has to err to one side or the other, I prefer it to be the stylistic side. Watching a film that's packed with substance, but made by a director with no sense of cinematic style, is only slightly better than watching a film that lacks both.

TouchMe4Money
07-08-2009, 02:20 AM
What do you mean only one director can get away with it? TONS of directors get away with it all the time. haha Quentin Tarantino probably being the predminant modern example. The man's built an entire career on cobbling together "substance" that is nothing more that a series of homages and pop culture references, while thriving due to his distinctive filmmaking style.
100% agreed. Though- that's what people love about him. They like his predictability and his personality. I'd never argue about that with non-horror filmmakers. Would you say Fulci put his personality into his films? (I still can't figure out what the hell he was trying to say with the whole "Labor Strike" victory schpeel in The Beyond. From where I was sitting, it was absurd and pointless and just pure eyebrow-raising.

Now, if you mean in Italian horror, let's face it...Italian horror is, for the most part, traditionally ALL about style over substance. Though I'll agree that Argento does it best. And not only best, but most thoroughly.
In my long-winded, roundabout way... that's all I meant. :) (That Argento does it best)

However, I'm not sure I completely believe all Italian horror has no substance in it. Or never tries for it. It may be highly diluted by style, but while I've heard people say the same as you (and not just people who flat-out hate Italian horror), I've also heard people say that there's a lot of meaning in certain films. In fact, the more shocking the film, the more graphic and brutal it is, the more certain people insist they really mean something. For example- Cannibal Holocaust. Or, The New York Ripper.

But yeah, I take the latter theory with a huge grain of salt. Extreme violence is rarely as compelling as some think.

His films are so centered on style that he often seems to willfully forego substance altogether.
I think sometimes, the style itself is the substance. That they're fused together on purpose. For the sake of pure art, perhaps. So one can't be deciphered from the other.

Argento's films have been taken apart and written about before. And after hearing some of the theories people have about Tenebre, for just one example, it's clear Argento was at least subconsciously filling that movie full of substance. And I know for a fact he did a lot of research on The Stendhal Syndrome for that film. I don't know if it was all fascinating- but he did his homework. He also made sure his writer researched the background and facts of anorexia when he was making Trauma. Though I do hear, at the same time, he was busy focusing on the camera tricks he would use in the butterfly scene.

And then, you have a movie like Inferno, which is a mess it's so full of ideas. Unlike most of his other films before Two Evil Eyes (which I haven't seen since I was a kid), almost every visual seems to have a concrete idea behind it. It's almost as though his reputation was made on Suspiria. Which is his creepiest film, but for the life of me- I can't find any substance. And I think it works just fine without it. At least it had a scary plot hook - the secret of the academy, where, if you discover it, you'll be hunted and killed. One thing that you could count on, in a film full of paradoxes.

I think that "style over substance" is no worse than, and in many cases is actually preferable to, substance over style.
100% agreement there too. In film, the two need each other. Usually, when I criticize a film or filmmaker- I've taken both into account. With Fulci, I say his style is dampened by the fact that the dialogue and characterization (which has to comprise the substance here) is so silly.

horrornut
07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
We're screening Zombi 2 tonight. It's one I don't believe I've ever seen. Reading different reviews on the movie today I was surprised at all of the positive comments people had about this title. Some even liked it better than Dawn. Others think the Zombie makeup is creepier and the music better. Negative comments included.... plot gets a bit weak and the English dubbing is NOT done well.
Can't wait until dark to fire up the big screen. Good times!!!:drink:

TouchMe4Money
07-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Some even liked it better than Dawn. Others think the Zombie makeup is creepier and the music better.
The music is not better than Goblin's score. But it is better than most of the library tracks Romero uses in his films- especially in Dawn.

The zombie makeup however, is much creeper than Romero's. And remained creepier than Romero's Day of the Dead as well.

horrornut
07-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Well three of us watched Zombie last night.
We all agreed on three points. First the music was better the Dawn. Secondly the Zombies looked scarier than Dawn and the ending was creepier than Dawn. We also agreed that the plot was a bit weak and development was very slow. Fulci's direction saved this one.
The first 45 minutes were slow except the two Zombie attacks but the last 45 minutes were full of action.
Best kill: The wood through the left eye of the doctor's wife. WOW!!!
This one is not for the squimish. Next time I run this one I'll pass out BARF bags!!

TouchMe4Money
07-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Dawn series?

samhain2025
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
The splinter sceen is legendary i think the only gore sceen better that that is the sceen in city of the dead when that girl vomits out her guts. the thing that gets me is fulcis kind of half assed censorship in america it nearly imposible to find his films in a chain video store and on netflix for that matter

A Dumb Question
11-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Oh, Fulci is certainly a hack. But that just adds to the amusement factor of his movies.

Khan
11-09-2009, 11:22 AM
He is better then Bruno Mattei or Joe D'Amato, you have to give him that much. ;)

A Dumb Question
11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
And Sean Cunningham is better than Danny Steinmann. But he's still a hack.

MMyers89
11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
the thing that gets me is fulcis kind of half assed censorship in america it nearly imposible to find his films in a chain video store and on netflix for that matter

Really? I got The Beyond, Zombi 2, and House by the Cemetery at Best Buy. Also rented City of the Living Dead from Netflix. I dunno where you're lookin', but they don't seem hard to find at all.

Khan
11-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I have seem his movies at Wal-mart.

Amazon always has them in stock.

horrornut
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
After seeing this thread pop up I decided to screen Zombie 2 again. I don't know about the TV set but it sure looks great on the big screen. I like that movie a little more every time I watch it. :nodsmile:

Torgo
11-09-2009, 06:42 PM
"overrated hack" is the most overused way to bash a director.

Maybe I already posted that before, but I think it's worth mentioning again cuz it's really annoying.

I've only seen Zombie 2, and I didn't like it. Altho the Zombie/Shark scene was pretty great.

horrornut
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
My favorite scene was the wood splinter through the eyeball.....good shit.

samhain2025
11-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Really? I got The Beyond, Zombi 2, and House by the Cemetery at Best Buy. Also rented City of the Living Dead from Netflix. I dunno where you're lookin', but they don't seem hard to find at all.

I've had city of the living dead on a hold list on netflix forever along with some mario bava movies every time I go to best buy or fye I cant find any of his films not even suncoast

zombie commando
11-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I think Fulci is an absolute genius. You can read his films many different ways. His best is The Beyond, it's the kind of "pure" film that he always intended to do but was restricted by producers and commercial interests. Don't Torture a Duckling is great as well. I can pretty much find enjoyment in ever single film he did. FULCI LIVES!

samhain2025
11-12-2009, 12:02 PM
I think Fulci is an absolute genius. You can read his films many different ways. His best is The Beyond, it's the kind of "pure" film that he always intended to do but was restricted by producers and commercial interests. Don't Torture a Duckling is great as well. I can pretty much find enjoyment in ever single film he did. FULCI LIVES!

Damn right Fulci Lives.

EvilOnTwoLegs
11-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I've had city of the living dead on a hold list on netflix forever along with some mario bava movies every time I go to best buy or fye I cant find any of his films not even suncoast

Barnes & Noble seems to have a pretty wide Fulci selection. At least the one in my area does. Best Buy and FYE hardly have ANY horror movies anymore, so what do you expect?

MMyers89
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Damn, I haven't been to Best Buy in a few months, but I seem to remember them having a pretty good horror selection in the past. I've gotten quite a few movies there, the Fulci ones I mentioned above, among others. I dunno where you guys are lookin'. :D

EvilOnTwoLegs
11-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Best Buy used to have a MUCH wider horror selection than they do now. It's scaled way the fuck back in recent years.

MMyers89
11-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah, like I said, I haven't been there in a while, so what I said above may not be the case anymore. I remember before Circuit City went out of business they had the best horror selection of any of the major chains. I got some good stuff there.

Torgo
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah, like I said, I haven't been there in a while, so what I said above may not be the case anymore. I remember before Circuit City went out of business they had the best horror selection of any of the major chains. I got some good stuff there.

I was shocked at how shitty Best Buy's selection had gotten last time I was there. I was literally saddened.

I bought Zombie 2 there, now you most likely wouldn't be able to find it there. They used to have a lot of good stuff. Now they got shit.

EvilOnTwoLegs
11-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I have probably three times as many horror DVDs in my personal collection as they have at Best Buy. It's pretty pathetic. Most places have fairly shitty horror sections these days. Not sure why. Certainly, five years ago, all those same places had a wider selection.

samhain2025
12-16-2009, 09:43 AM
i just watched house by the cemtary last night it was good except for the dubing and that little kids voice made me want to kill him. got it from netflix they finaly got city of the dead. and on another point suncoast dosent even have any fulci and they use to have every thing

samhain2025
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Just watched City of THe dead or gates of hell depends witch relase you get another fulci great

Rich
07-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Fulci is one of the all time great horror film makers. Zombi 2, The Gates of Hell, Don't Torture the Duckling, and House by the Cemetary are some of the finest horror films I have ever seen.

samhain2025
07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Horror Hound magazine just had a good retrospective on City Of THe Dead.

Astro_Creep
01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
i just watched house by the cemtary last night it was good except for the dubing and that little kids voice made me want to kill him.
Bob is one of the BEST characters in cinema. The annoying voice, parents who call their kid Bob, playing with pink guns, playing with the doll Mae gave to him, etc.

Legendary.

zombie commando
02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Agreed. And this thread should have a period at the end of the title. BURN!

the 'M' clam
07-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Well I some of Lucio Fulci films look fake & crap but when it come to making The New York Ripper & his zombie movie they are great classics with good strong violence & that what some of today's horror movies need & it's a shame he past away & I do see him as a horror maker of a legend.

samhain2025
07-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I just watched The Beyond. it was good. I like Fulci's long cuts and slow zombies. the ending was a little weird, and where the hell did he keep getting bullets for his gun.

the 'M' clam
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
I wonder if there will be any remakes going to get made of Lucio Fulci zombies movies in the future? I think the remake of his films might be much better if it done the right way.

samhain2025
08-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I wonder if there will be any remakes going to get made of Lucio Fulci zombies movies in the future? I think the remake of his films might be much better if it done the right way.

I dont think they would be better because Fulci made the films good.

the 'M' clam
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I dont think they would be better because Fulci made the films good.

I agree with you there. Fulci did do good movies but some parts in some of his films do look a bit fake. But if they did some remakes of his films just as violance but more real feel to them & after new fans seen the remakes they want to see the originals on DVD's & Blu-rays & it will help to remember what a great film maker Fulci was. I remember when the remake of The Hills Have Eyes when it was out here in the UK fans loved it & alot of then I know who did not see the original went to buy it on DVD. The original Hills Have Eyes was banned here in the UK but when it came out from the banned on DVD in 2002 or 2003 there was not much of a sale on it in till the remake come out. So I think it would be a very good thing if they did remake on Fulci films.

samhain2025
08-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I generaly dont like the remakes just from a statistical point of view. the ratio of good to bad is pritty low.

the 'M' clam
08-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I generaly dont like the remakes just from a statistical point of view. the ratio of good to bad is pritty low.

I know how you feel about remakes. But a remake just might never happen. But a few remake on his films could make a very interesting movie.

MyersCult81
11-06-2012, 07:04 PM
He is absolutely a horror legend! Zombie, The Beyond, City of The Living Dead, House by The Cemetery are all classics!

Thorni52
04-22-2013, 03:16 PM
Anyone else have an opinion on this guy? I gotta say, everyone seems to avocet Agrento as the master of Italian horror surrealism, but for me, Fulci's film just bleed atmosphere like no other. I think Suspira and Deep Red are great, but when I think nightmare, I think The Beyond. How about some of his other stuff? I've seen The House by The Cemetery which I thought was good. I've also seen City of the Living Dead which I'm still processing. haha. As of right now I'd consider it the lesser of the three.

... Oh and Zombi! That's a fantastic movie too. Maybe not as nightmarish and surreal as the others, although it still elicits the same feeling of dread.

Khan
04-22-2013, 03:23 PM
What did you think of The New York Ripper? It is more sex and sleaze than surrealism, but it still fun to watch.

Scarface
04-22-2013, 03:49 PM
I liked Don't Torture a Duckling, The Beyond, and House by the Cemetery the most. Everything else I've seen from him didn't do a whole lot for me. The dude can definitely nail down a nightmarish atmosphere, though, when he's on his game and I'd say one of the greatest scenes in the history of cinema is where the zombie fights a shark in Zombie.

ClassOf78
04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
I honestly think he's a bit overrated. I really like City of the Living Dead and The Beyond, was not a fan of Zombi and I don't love it the way that most horror fans do. I really wanted to like House by the Cemetery, but ended up finding it laughable. Didn't like New York Ripper. And after seeing clips from Cat in the Brain, I'm staying the fuck away from that, haha.

zombie commando
05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Cat in the Brain is awesome. I think it's one of his better ones really, but doesn't get the same play as the Gates of Hell trilogy.

TouchMe4Money
05-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Don't Torture a Duckling is great as well.
OOOH! I have to seriously disagree with you there. I couldn't even finish that piece of shit when I started watching it on Netflix: Instant. I made it maybe 50 minutes and was so pissed off, I nearly slam-clicked on the EXIT icon. Yet I actually managed all the way through Saw, Dead Snow, Trick 'R Treat, and The Cabin in the Woods. So... that's bad.

zombie commando
05-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Yet I actually managed all the way through Saw, Dead Snow, Trick 'R Treat, and The Cabin in the Woods. So... that's bad.

With the exception of Saw I don't think those other movies you mentioned are all that bad, actually they are pretty high up on my list for horror releases in the last few years. I think a lot of Fulci is an acquired taste.

TouchMe4Money
05-13-2013, 06:04 AM
With the exception of Saw I don't think those other movies you mentioned are all that bad
Neither does anyone else. I'm just one of those freaks who doesn't understand horror, even though I've been truly studying it for over a decade now.

Seriously- I don't know what's happened to the world. Those movies have none of the requirements of a horror film except for gore. And I suppose monster makeup. They fail on every other level. Unless you view them as action films with monsters in them. In that regard, I can see there's probably a lot to love about them.

I think a lot of Fulci is an acquired taste.
The guy did make a hundred movies versus, let's say, Argento's 2 dozen or Michele Soavi's 5 or whatever.

Vampyric_angel2
05-13-2013, 06:11 AM
I love all his movies

zombie commando
05-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Neither does anyone else. I'm just one of those freaks who doesn't understand horror, even though I've been truly studying it for over a decade now.I think you should quit at this point, move on to something that might suit your tastes better. ;)

Fulci1986
11-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Cat in the Brain is awesome. I think it's one of his better ones really, but doesn't get the same play as the Gates of Hell trilogy.

Cat in the Brain is probably one of Fulci's most underrated, IMO. But his Gates of Hell trilogy still reigns supreme for me.

zombie commando
11-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Cat in the Brain is probably one of Fulci's most underrated, IMO. But his Gates of Hell trilogy still reigns supreme for me.Me too, I just hear a lot of hate for Cat in the Brain for whatever reason, but I love the dickens out of it.

I also have a big soft spot for House by the Cemetery which gets blasted all the time for its incoherency, but I think it was a deliberate deconstruction of narrative.

Thorni52
11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I'd rank his Gates of Hell trilogy as follows, Best to Least favorite

1. The Beyond
2. The House by The Cemetary
3. The Gates of Hell

I'd throw Zombi 2 either before of after number two.

Fulci1986
11-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Me too, I just hear a lot of hate for Cat in the Brain for whatever reason, but I love the dickens out of it.

I also have a big soft spot for House by the Cemetery which gets blasted all the time for its incoherency, but I think it was a deliberate deconstruction of narrative.

I know a lot of people complain about it featuring too many scenes from other films, and like his other ones....the fact that it lacks any logic or real narrative. That never bothered me with his films, or any Euro Horror. Italian horror really is an acquired taste. But I love it, probably more than most American horror.

Oh yeah, I always believed that most of Fulci's films were deliberately lacking of a linear structure. I think he did it, because the content of his films (particularly the Gates trilogy) were sort of a deconstruction of the physical laws of the universe.

House by the Cemetery was my first from Fulci, so it'll always hold a special place in my heart. I still go back and forth between City of the Living Dead and The Beyond as my favorite. Technically, The Beyond is his greatest achievement. No other horror film, IMO, has come close to having the same feel as that one. It's a true masterpiece of the genre.

zombie commando
11-06-2013, 06:09 AM
I know a lot of people complain about it featuring too many scenes from other films, and like his other ones....the fact that it lacks any logic or real narrative. That never bothered me with his films, or any Euro Horror. Italian horror really is an acquired taste. But I love it, probably more than most American horror. Snagging scenes from other films never bugged me in Cat in the Brain, and I agree about the narrative logic. Fulci was always more about the visual impact and the general atmosphere of the movie. He didn't think they need to be coherent much like a nightmare can be incoherent but terrifying at the same time.

Honestly the first time I saw House by the Cemetary I thought it was a mess, but after watching it a few more times it charmed the snickers out of me. Old Dr. Freudenstein's backwards shuffle won me over. Now I seemingly can't get enough of it, and even though The Beyond is a better film all around I prefer House by the Cemetary probably over everything else Fulci just for the general feel and overall lunacy of the film. It's the most unapologeticly incoherent piece, but somehow makes sense to me in a nightmare logic sort of way. When I first found Fulci I was all about Zombie, then I was all about The Beyond....now it's House by the Cemetary. Maybe next year I'll be singing praises for Manhattan Baby....;).

Fulci1986
11-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Snagging scenes from other films never bugged me in Cat in the Brain, and I agree about the narrative logic. Fulci was always more about the visual impact and the general atmosphere of the movie. He didn't think they need to be coherent much like a nightmare can be incoherent but terrifying at the same time.

Honestly the first time I saw House by the Cemetary I thought it was a mess, but after watching it a few more times it charmed the snickers out of me. Old Dr. Freudenstein's backwards shuffle won me over. Now I seemingly can't get enough of it, and even though The Beyond is a better film all around I prefer House by the Cemetary probably over everything else Fulci just for the general feel and overall lunacy of the film. It's the most unapologeticly incoherent piece, but somehow makes sense to me in a nightmare logic sort of way. When I first found Fulci I was all about Zombie, then I was all about The Beyond....now it's House by the Cemetary. Maybe next year I'll be singing praises for Manhattan Baby....;).

Fulci has even said that was the whole point of The Beyond...for it to be a film simply a succession of nightmarish images. Most people couldn't pull that off, but Fulci did. That's why I love Italian horror, because they were all about style over substance.

As for House by the Cemetery, I will admit that when I first saw it that I didn't quite LOVE it. I thought it was decent, but i'm not obsessed with it like I have been for years now. I agree, that House is by far his most incoherent, plot-hole filled film. But, like The Beyond, the incoherency works in a strange way that I can't quite explain. At one point I considered House to be my favorite. I still hold it in high regards, but now I do kind of lean towards City of the Living Dead (although I think technically speaking, The Beyond is superior). I love City's atmosphere. You can really see how he was influenced by Lovecraft with that film. And Fabio Frizzi's score really adds to it, just like all the other ones he worked on. Most fans will point to The Beyond's score as the best, but I prefer City of the Living Dead's score.

Oh wow, I haven't seen Manhattan Baby in years. To be quite honest, I can't even recall most of the film. I might have to revisit that one. I think The Psychic, Voices from Beyond, and Conquest are Fulci's most underrated. Voices is another one I haven't seen for quite some time. I just saw that Code Red has it on blu ray. I was thinking about picking it up. It was light on gore, but it made up for it with mood and atmosphere. But then again, considering the content of the film...I never thought gore was necessary for that one. I know a lot of people hate it because it lacks gore. Of course that's an element that people expect of Fulci, but I was always able to look past that from some of his less juicier films.

HuskerTornado
11-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Fulci is without a doubt a Horror legend.