PDA

View Full Version : Fangoria, Halloween

Drielmans
11-28-2004, 09:03 AM
I want to buy some Halloween Fangoria magezines from ebay. But I was wandering, is there many information in those halloween issus regarding Halloween? Is it worth to buy for example the issu of H4, pure for the Halloween 4 artical? homany pages do they contain, approximately?

Thanks

Wheatjedi
11-28-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are asking, but I'll give it a shot. I own every Fango issue that covers a Halloween film, and they are all very good. My favorite articles are those written by Marc Shapiro.... I like his style.

As for whether they are "worth it," that all depends on the price and how much you are willing to pay. Personally, I wouldn't go higher than $10 for any single issue.

Regarding the number of pages, I'm going to assume you want to know how long the articles on the Halloween films are. In that case, most are 4-5 pages long with photos. The Halloween retrospective article from a 1994 issue is very long.... 8 or 9 pages I believe.

MyersFan927
11-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Wheatjedi
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are asking, but I'll give it a shot. I own every Fango issue that covers a Halloween film, and they are all very good. My favorite articles are those written by Marc Shapiro.... I like his style.

As for whether they are "worth it," that all depends on the price and how much you are willing to pay. Personally, I wouldn't go higher than $10 for any single issue.

Regarding the number of pages, I'm going to assume you want to know how long the articles on the Halloween films are. In that case, most are 4-5 pages long with photos. The Halloween retrospective article from a 1994 issue is very long.... 8 or 9 pages I believe.

What are the H3/4 ones like in terms of length and photos?

Drielmans
11-28-2004, 02:25 PM
thanks Wheatjedi

and what is normali discused? Are they revieuwing the films? Is it a preview?

Wheatjedi
11-28-2004, 04:19 PM
The article for Halloween III is probably the shortest of all of them. It runs 2 pages of text along with some black & white photos along with 2 additional pages of color pics.

The article for Halloween 4 is about 4 and a half pages of text with some nice color pics throughout.

The content of the articles for all the films usually consists of interviews with some of the stars, the director, and maybe a producer or two. None of the articles are reviews of the films themselves. They're about the making of the films. They're all very good sources of information on the series.

MyersFan927
11-28-2004, 04:57 PM
The article for Halloween III is probably the shortest of all of them. It runs 2 pages of text along with some black & white photos along with 2 additional pages of color pics.

The article for Halloween 4 is about 4 and a half pages of text with some nice color pics throughout.

The content of the articles for all the films usually consists of interviews with some of the stars, the director, and maybe a producer or two. None of the articles are reviews of the films themselves. They're about the making of the films. They're all very good sources of information on the series.

Thanks for responding to my post. It would be great to get ahold of some Fangoria issues, even if there's nothing spectacular about them. Offhand, can you think of anything having to do with the making of the films or other information from those Fangoria issues that many of us probably don't already know? If so, I'd be interested to hear something for the time being if something comes to mind.

boogeyman87
11-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Sorta on topic, i recently bought two back issues of Fangoria for 30 bucks. One covering A New Begining (with Jake on the cover) from 1985 and the other covering Dream Warriors (with that famous pic of freddy in a tux over nancy in the blue dress) from 1986. Very much worth it for those, so i would think it would be worth it for any back issue . :)

Wheatjedi
11-28-2004, 05:42 PM
With the exception of the original Halloween (which came out 1 year before Fangoria first hit news stands), Fango has published articles about every Halloween film at the time of its release. They tend to do one major article that is followed up in the next one or two issues by articles detailing FX secrets and/or an interview with the film's director or a star (usually Donald Pleasence or Jamie Lee Curtis). The following is a list of the issues containing the major articles:

Halloween II: issue 15 (also contains a Q and A interview with Jamie Lee Curtis as a separate article)
Halloween III: issue 22
Halloween 4: issue 79
Halloween 5: issue 87
Halloween retrospective: issue 138 (a very good and long article)
Halloween 6: issue 147
Halloween H20: issue 176
Halloween 8: issue 214

As for info that may not be already known.... the opening two pages of the article on Halloween 5 contain a large photo of a scene cut from the film depicting a character named "Dr. Death" holding Myers' mask with the caption "Could Dr. Death (Thernon Reed), who saves the Shape's life, also be his successor?"

Also... in the article for Halloween 4, there is a photo of Michael raising his knife while his image is reflected back on itself in a series of mirrors. I don't know of this was just a publicity shot or a scene cut from the film.

To be totally honest, all of the articles are well-written and are definitely worth seeking out. Most of the issues can be ordered through Fango's website, but some are sold out (like #15).

MrTaft
11-28-2004, 06:23 PM
I have the H5 cover issue (can't remember the number), but the story in it is very short. I assume the story with Dr. Death's photo is a different issue?

dave626
11-28-2004, 09:15 PM
I have an extra copy of Fango 15 I'm willing to part with for 5 bucks US if anyone wants it. Shipping depends on where you are and how you want it. PM me or post here if interested.

Wheatjedi
11-29-2004, 01:22 AM
The issue of Fango with the Halloween 5 photo on the cover (as the main story.... not one of the 2 pics on the left-hand side) is actually issue 88. It features an interview with the 4 actors who had played Michael Myers up to that point.

Thrillogy
11-29-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Drielmans
I want to buy some Halloween Fangoria magezines from ebay. But I was wandering, is there many information in those halloween issus regarding Halloween? Is it worth to buy for example the issu of H4, pure for the Halloween 4 artical? homany pages do they contain, approximately?

Thanks

you can go onto their main site to get backordered issues. in some cases they only cot 10 dollars.

Wheatjedi
11-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Exactly right. The Fango website is the first place I would go for back issues. The prices on most issues are good, and you know the mag will be in good condition.

As for dave626 selling #15 for just $5... that's a really great deal for anyone who doesn't have it. Seriously.

King Sly Joker
11-29-2004, 02:33 PM
If,I could only get my hands on the H2 Issue.I would be a happy soul...

Wheatjedi
11-29-2004, 05:51 PM
It's definitely a good issue. The article on Halloween II is mostly an interview with Debra Hill that also discuees the problems with NBC involving airing Halloween and the new footage filmed for the TV broadcast.

King Sly Joker
11-29-2004, 05:57 PM
It's definitely a good issue. The article on Halloween II is mostly an interview with Debra Hill that also discuees the problems with NBC involving airing Halloween and the new footage filmed for the TV broadcast.

Yeah,but getting your hands on a excellent shape copy.Is hard..

dave626
11-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Not really. I have 2 of the HII issue #15 and I'll give you the best one of the two for $5 US plus shipping, because I don't care what condition my mags are in if I have one. Hell, it is from 23+ years ago.

TaddSays
11-30-2004, 08:07 PM
I got lucky and got an two years worth of issues for $5 at a flea market. Had the Halloween 2 issues, H3, and Evil Dead. Awesome find, and I'm not willing to part. But the articles are definetely worth seeking out.

MrTaft
11-30-2004, 08:12 PM
Some good pics in the H2 issue, too. The behind-the-scenes one at the elementary school is a treat. :)

King Sly Joker
12-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by dave626
Not really. I have 2 of the HII issue #15 and I'll give you the best one of the two for $5 US plus shipping, because I don't care what condition my mags are in if I have one. Hell, it is from 23+ years ago.

Cool deal just pm ,and let me know...

Thrillogy
12-02-2004, 08:17 AM
I usually get most of my backordered issues from the fangoria site.