PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Dawn of The Dead do you like?

Roswell
09-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Recently, the Dawn of The Dead Ultimate Edition Boxset was released, and next month, the remake of the film will be released on DVD it it's theatrical cut and it's unrated cut. With all this Dawn mania going on, what is your favorite version of the film? (and those of you with the Boxset get bonus points;))

Anyway, my favorite version of the film is tied between the U.S. Theatrical Version and the European Version.

The U.S. Theatrical Version has the humor, the characters, the gore, the music, and best of all, the social commentary. It's just a perfect film in my eyes. It has something for everyone (well, almost everyone). It's just so awesome of a film, and that's what makes it not only my favorite film of the series, but my favorite Horror Film of all time!

The European Version has more of an action feel to it, and while it doesn't have the social commentary or the humor as the US Version, it does have more of that great Goblin score, the same cool characters, the great gore effects by Tom Savini, and a good action pace. It's a good alternative if you're not into what Romero had to say in the US Version.

The Extended Version just isn't good for me (except the scene at the Police Docks, where we get to see more of future "Dead" star Joe Pilato). I can understand why some of the stuff was dropped, but then again, if you watch the European Version. you see some of the cut scenes put to good use.

zombie commando
09-19-2004, 05:20 PM
I like the theatrical version the best. Everything they dropped had absolutley no impact on the plot what so ever.....and just seemed to drag shit out alot longer than needed be.

NeewollaH
09-19-2004, 05:40 PM
I too will pick the Theatrical Cut. Although I do find Argento's view on the film very interesting, I'll always love Romero's cut the best. It flows the best of the three in my eyes. There isn't a little of dillydallying with the points already made, and it is much more than just a horror movie. It will always be one of my top films of all time. The greatest zombie movie ever made (unless of course we're talking about the last 20 minutes of 'Day')..;)

Donnie Darko
09-25-2004, 01:10 AM
ive only got to see the extended version and the euro version once each (so far!), its really nice to see some new stuff from a classic flick.

im still leaning for the US theatrical cut, but ive gotta giveit some time to truly say which is my favorite cut.

its really nice to get to hear the Zombi soundtrack that ive heard for years within the movie finally!!! i kinda like the euro version better than the extended version because of that soundtrack.
the soundtrack really keeps the dark vibe of the movie going strongly rather than letting the watcher gasp for air.
both versions are strongly effective.

did anyone else notice that the "document of the dead" feature on the bonus disk doesnt have the commentary that my other dvd of it has. sucks for some people i guess, its not like its the cast commentary tho, its something that you might not miss.

Michaeleon
09-25-2004, 07:06 AM
Moved to Zombie Films

I'm going to say the theatrical version. Maybe it's just because that is the version I've grown to love and know. The music and sequence of events all seem to be aligned perfectly. The extended & euro versions were great to watch (especially the few added things of gore with the euro version). However, the flow, as others have said, seems to be best in the theatrical.

It's great to watch all three though. :)

Chomp_on_this
09-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Yip, Theatrical Cut for me too ladies and gentlemen. Its just that the scenes are edited together much better. It makes the film flow much smoother. For example, when whats-his-face TV guy is telling the people that the bodies of the dead will be handed over to specially trained forces of the national guard, and then it cuts right to the SWAT officer jumping down the apartment building from a harness. Another example is when Peter shoots one of the zombies in the basement and then it cuts right to the head "flopping" of the air traffic control officer that Flyboy finds. Good shit my friends.

Second best version is definately the European version. Sure, the music is quite repetative, but the in your face fast pasing of the movie more than makes up for that. It definatly is the more frightening and depressing of the three versions.

Chuck D
09-25-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm going with the crowd and saying Theatrical Cut...

It's the best version...

MichaelMyers
09-25-2004, 03:30 PM
The new version.

zombie commando
09-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by MichaelMyers
The new version.

Care to elaborate? Do you mean the remake?

Roswell
09-26-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm guessing he means the remake, or maybe he means the Boxset

Silverpsycho
10-01-2004, 06:10 PM
I love the brand new 4-disc set, but I still have to side with the Theatrical version of the 1978 Dawn. It's still fun watching the extended & european versions too every once in awhile, but the music and basic film are the best...just as Romero intended for the film to be. However, I really like the box art from the original Divimax one though...it just looks cool.

It's Neal
10-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Ill have to go with the recent remake....only cause I havent seen the original.

Silverpsycho
10-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by NCamp
Ill have to go with the recent remake....only cause I havent seen the original.
OMG! Go see it! Just to see it. It's so good, you have no idea what you're missing ;)

It's Neal
10-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Silverpsycho
OMG! Go see it! Just to see it. It's so good, you have no idea what you're missing ;)

Haha ok, I guess Ill have to take your advice and go watch it. DOLD and NOLD good flicks as well?

Silverpsycho
10-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by NCamp
Haha ok, I guess Ill have to take your advice and go watch it. DOLD and NOLD good flicks as well?

Day of the Dead has some great scenes to it (especially the end...you'll love it!) But this one is hard to critique, since most either love or hate this film...not much in between. Day is actually Romero's favorite of the three and he says that the fans who favor this one out of the trilogy are all the "troll-like" people...lol. Personally I really like it because it's different and the gore is awesome :D
Night of the Living Dead 1968 is great, but I also recommend Savini's 1990 remake (because of the new improved Barbra, as well as the special effects & make-up work...not especially the best acting though). All of Romero's films are terrific, but my most fave is still the original 1978 Dawn because the characters feel like old friends, the mall plays an important role and all the living dead have unique personalities and the bikers just kick-ass!...but since you really like the remake of it...you may not fall in love with it right away. But give it time...you will. LOL :D

MichaelMyers
10-02-2004, 07:46 PM
The new one. I'm getting it this Tuesday.

JCU
10-09-2004, 04:37 AM
This is a rather hard question to answer. Both the extended and european versions were quite the films. All I can say is that for $20, this 4dvd set was one heck of a bargain considering you get three films and tons of extras!

bloody_pumpkin
04-19-2005, 07:42 PM
the U.S threatrical version is my favorite one. I first bought the theatrical version alone and It was the first time that I watched a movie from the dead trilogy so you can say that I consider this a very special movie. the music, the scenes, the sequences etc. recently I bought the ultimate edition and I finally I had the chance to watch all three versions, even though after watching each version, the theatrical cut continues being my favorite one. but the other two versions are good in their own way, even though they are not as good as the theatrical. The extended version has more scenes which is always a good thing, and well the only good thing about the european version is the additional goblin tracks. and well, with this ultimate edition of dawn of the dead I was also delighted by the extra goodies that each version of the movie has, making this boxset the ultimate edition indeed.

Robert Beaudoin
04-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Neither. Both sucked just the same.

DarthMyers
04-23-2005, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Robert Beaudoin

What was the point in posting that? The question was not if you liked them, it was WHICH one did you like.

I prefer the original cult classic to the remake. I like the remake, but the original Dawn is a classic in my book.

Franchise
04-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by DarthMyers
What was the point in posting that? The question was not if you liked them, it was WHICH one did you like.

I prefer the original cult classic to the remake. I like the remake, but the original Dawn is a classic in my book.

He wanted to incite a riot. I hope that it backlashes on his testicles.

DarthMyers
04-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Franchise
He wanted to incite a riot. I hope that it backlashes on his testicles.

Well thank you for the visual!

zombie commando
04-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Franchise
He wanted to incite a riot. I hope that it backlashes on his testicles. Getting the shears ready.....

myers2004
08-25-2005, 03:24 PM
just watched the european version today and loved it. id have to say that and the theatrical versions are my favs the extended just was a waste to me.

authorx
09-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Oh, come on now! There's just no doubting that the Original version of Dawn of the Dead was the best ever. There was a true storyline behind all the chaos. You felt for the main characters. Where as in the remake it was all special FX flare with no real story. All they did was add more zombies and ruin a great story with the remake.

zombie commando
09-22-2005, 09:10 AM
They didn't ruin any story. The original is still there for us to celebrate, hump, eat with a bowl of Fruity Pebbles, etc. Making a remake doesn't ruin the original film. For instance, if you hold a really shitty play of MacBeth it doesn't make the original play any more or less brilliant.

Roswell
09-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Robert Beaudoin

Then you, my friend, have shitty taste in cinema.

Horror_Fan
11-11-2005, 03:58 AM
just ordered the box set last night can't wait to watch all the versions of the film.

Scanman22
11-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Argento's version seems to make the most sense. Sometimes in the theatrical version, it cuts out things that throw off the continuity of the film. Such as the apt. basement - Peter and Roger walk in and see about 10 moving zombies all sqirmming in the corner. Peter opens the cage and shoots 5-6 shots and all of them are dead then. In the Romero version, we miss Roger blasting away while Peter reloads.

Things like that are missed but important to continuity and effect. Many more instances occur.

THE REMAKE IS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Superman
11-18-2005, 08:59 PM
The re-make was so much better. I thought the original was boring.

Scanman22
11-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Superman
The re-make was so much better. I thought the original was boring.

*GASP* Imagine a Halloween remake and then someone comes in the forum who didn't love the original and tell you that they loved the remake and the original is boring. . .

That's how I feel right now. :eek:

PhantomPhart
12-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Scanman22
*GASP* Imagine a Halloween remake and then someone comes in the forum who didn't love the original and tell you that they loved the remake and the original is boring. . .

That's how I feel right now. :eek: I join you in that feeling. I understand everyone's entitled to their own opinion but i'm shocked.

Boisvert
01-12-2006, 10:08 AM
My favorite is definitely the remake.

discvader
01-12-2006, 11:13 AM
I enjoyed the remake, running zombies are freaky, but to say that it's better than the original is FRICKIN CRAZY! I respect everyone's opinion, so if you enjoyed the remake more, o.k., but I think it's in the Book of Facts that the original Dawn of the Dead is one of the greatest horror movies of all-time.:yar:

michael =TERROR
03-26-2006, 01:49 PM
I cant believe some of you guys like the new better than the original how is that possible.

but its ok

Verdis Quo
03-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I like the US theatrical version the best. The extended, or long version or whatever you call it was just too long, plus the music was all messed up; it kept flip-flopping from the Goblin music to that awful stock stuff. The european version is not bad, but I really hated the end credits. The remake is okay.

BONES
04-26-2006, 05:31 PM
I have always love the original but I like the new version becous you can relate more becous of the up to date seting of the movie

urbanchaos
07-02-2006, 02:08 PM
The U.S version of the original and the Unrated Director Cut of the remake:bow:

Verdis Quo
07-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I like the U.S. theatrical version best. I was expecting I would end up liking the extended cut the best, but it's too long. And the European one cut off so much.

Bennett Tramer
09-09-2006, 08:19 PM
got to go withg the original just a pure classic

Rich
09-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Between the three common versions of the original, the U.S. theatrical version, which actually is the director's cut being Romero's preferred version, is the best. The extended version is cool, but it is just filled with stuff you don't really need that just makes the movie longer. The European version is a butchered piece of shit.

The remake is an even bigger piece of shit.

mr32
12-17-2006, 02:13 PM
I love both of them, the first one ended good, the second the remake added more charater and ended in a twist that u couldnt escape the zombie's no matter were you in go. I like the remake better, but i dont i will pick rob's halloween over john's to me it will always be my favorite horror movie of all time. I like the remake better, but its hard to say since i have love for the old one too. Thats just mine opinon

Kubrickbuff
12-18-2006, 02:23 PM
The original George Romero masterpiece, not that pretentious and to comercial remake, stop with the remakes and leave our classics alone.

myersfan1348
01-17-2007, 07:26 AM
I like the original more but the remake was good.

Pug-a-Licious
01-17-2007, 07:30 AM
I enjoy both of them for different reasons. The orginal is awesome, there is no doubt about it.. I totally love that movie.

I also love the remake, and I am glad that all it really has in common is the mall..and a few other very small details..it is also a good film!

Sooo..yeah, both of em for me..I can watch either one of them and be perfectly happy!

Rick
01-17-2007, 07:31 AM
The original is better IMO. It has a much better story.
The remake is a good action film, enjoyable in a mindless action movie kind of way, but it definately shouldn't share the title of the original.

Pug-a-Licious
01-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Yes, but if it DID NOT share the title..and with them being in the mall..people would really bitch about that as well, and how it copies DOD...can't win.

tat2dvamp
01-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Both are good i like them both but i'd have to say the original
it had me on the edge of my seat .the remake is okay but deffinitley the original for me

Khan
03-05-2007, 03:03 PM
The original is the best movie ever made!

The remake was fun, but the zombies were too fast.

WickedDeath
03-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm going to say the theatrical version also. Nothing will ever beat this film or verison in the Zombie genre.

Anyone ever wonder what kind of Resident Evil it would have been if George Romero would have finished that film? I often wonder......

Khan
03-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm going to say the theatrical version also. Nothing will ever beat this film or verison in the Zombie genre.

Anyone ever wonder what kind of Resident Evil it would have been if George Romero would have finished that film? I often wonder......

It would have been a classic if he did it.

I like all of the versions of the film on the Ultimate Edition DVD.

Hallow's Eve
03-29-2007, 07:23 AM
Gotta go with the Theatrical version of the original "Dawn of the Dead". Best Zombie film ever! All Hail George A Romero!!:nodsmile:

WhiteZombie
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
The original is the best movie ever made!

The remake was fun, but the zombies were too fast.

We seem to agree on things. I agree 100%. Dawn original is my 2nd favotite movie, ever. The remake is good, but nothing like the original.

Johnathon
03-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Theatrical Version all the way. I just love this film and I only first saw it a year ago. I wish I didn't see the remake first. I had no idea what I was missing. I just got the Theatrical Version for $10 a couple of weeks ago, and I've watched it like almost 10 times now. It's such a good movie. The remake was good the first time I saw it, but it's just a movie I don't really like to watch more than twice.

myersfan1348
03-29-2007, 10:57 PM
I just got the box set off of Ebay for 20 bucks so Ill have to see what I think...

sarah_1980
04-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Remake

HannibalBEATNGU
04-18-2007, 06:48 PM
The best thing about the original was the socially commentary, which was pretty much abandoned in the remake for the sake of one redundant action sequence after another of zombies running around (ripping off the vastly superior 28 Days Later) and getting shot, the remake is flooded with irrelevant characters that are there just to up the body count, the characterization of the leads was rather flat, nobody in it compares to Ken Foree's coolness, and even as a fun romp the remake fails because the gore wasn't innovative at all and the action was boring.

Original theatrical version.

WhiteZombie
04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
nobody in it compares to Ken Foree's coolness.

He threw a Zombie. How does anybody compare.

wyatt s
04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
The best thing about the original was the socially commentary, which was pretty much abandoned in the remake for the sake of one redundant action sequence after another of zombies running around (ripping off the vastly superior 28 Days Later) and getting shot, the remake is flooded with irrelevant characters that are there just to up the body count, the characterization of the leads was rather flat, nobody in it compares to Ken Foree's coolness, and even as a fun romp the remake fails because the gore wasn't innovative at all and the action was boring.

Original theatrical version.

That's pretty much exactly where i stand on the issue, but again i add, the remake is a good popcorn movie

nobody in it compares to Ken Foree's coolness

except for ken Foree himsef

HannibalBEATNGU
04-18-2007, 07:36 PM
I wish I could enjoy the remake as a popcorn film, but it's hollow boring even by those standards.

zombie commando
04-20-2007, 06:21 AM
I wish I could enjoy the remake as a popcorn film, but it's hollow boring even by those standards.

I thought it was pretty exciting. It was more of an action flick than the original. It still doesn't compare, but it was a decent flick.

mr32
05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I like both of them.

Shamrock-Robot
07-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I like both but I like the original way better than the remake, Romero's film is just amazing.

WhiteZombie
07-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah the remake isint bad from time to time. Nothing compares to the original though, so thats not very fair.

brain eater
07-22-2007, 06:44 AM
The original without a doubt. The remake is OVERRATED.

The Dark Knight
07-22-2007, 09:08 AM
original by FAAAAAAARRRRRRRR.

Rich
07-22-2007, 09:36 AM
I think the remake is one of the biggest pieces of crap on film.

WhiteZombie
07-22-2007, 07:08 PM

100% un-true. Opinion or not...The statement is flat out wrong.

Chomp_on_this
07-22-2007, 07:15 PM

You know...to tell you the truth, after the first 20-30min, I find myself lacking any enthusiasm to finish the film. I'm really not fond of it either.

Shamrock-Robot
07-23-2007, 01:54 AM
You know...to tell you the truth, after the first 20-30min, I find myself lacking any enthusiasm to finish the film. I'm really not fond of it either.

Romero himself actually said the same thing about the remake.

Count_Sarge
11-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Romero himself actually said the same thing about the remake.

Really? Last time I checked Romero actually somewhat praised it a little and said it was much better than he expected it to be.

As for my favorite version it would have to be the Theatrical cut because of the tightness and pacing. I liked some of the extra scenes in the Extended Version but, about halfway in I just get damn bored of the film and the Euro version just bothers me, the repetitive Goblin music, Lack of character "development" for the sake of gore, and cuting some scenes vitial to plot.

Torgo
11-07-2008, 07:43 AM
US Theatrical. I can enjoy the extended cut just because you get to hang out in the mall with the characters longer, but the theatrical cut is the more finessed movie.

EDIT: I think people are being way too harsh on the remake. Look around, I think you'll find that it's one of the more highly praised remakes out there. People just need to stop comparing every remake to the originals so much. My head is going to fall off if I have to keep saying it! The same thing applies with RZH, TCM, and every other remake out there. They're not the originals, watch them as their own movie and if you can achieve that, you may find yourself enjoying it. DOTD '04 is a very good horror flick. One of the best this decade, imho.

sharkboy
11-07-2008, 08:08 AM
original...the new one is a joke

Myers Shadow
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
For years I had always watched the director's cut of Dawn Of The Dead, but I stopped a few years ago when I saw the Theatrical version for the first time. The film was more fast paced, where the director's cut seemed more padded out and too long. I also enjoyed the soundtrack of the movie, where the theatrical cut used the heartbeat music at the beginning and the stingers used when the mall is first shown and when Zombie Flyboy is in the lift.

Torgo
11-07-2008, 10:34 AM
For years I had always watched the director's cut of Dawn Of The Dead, but I stopped a few years ago when I saw the Theatrical version for the first time. The film was more fast paced, where the director's cut seemed more padded out and too long. I also enjoyed the soundtrack of the movie, where the theatrical cut used the heartbeat music at the beginning and the stingers used when the mall is first shown and when Zombie Flyboy is in the lift.

i've read that the "director's cut" isn't actually the "director's cut," just an extended work version. The theatrical version is actually Romero's preferred vision, so I think that technically makes the theatrical cut the "director's cut" as well.

jbyrd123
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I like the original alot better than the remake, in fact it is probably one of my top two zombie films of all time's.

Twisted Sister
12-04-2008, 06:38 PM
The remake will never touch the original for me, not because I'm opposed to remakes, but the original had that spooky feel with less special effects and, ok it did have that and gore, but less of the "action movie" feel of the remake. I did like the remake for what it was, it was very good, but the original had the creepiness to it that newer movies just can't accomplish via technology.

Hawkwind
12-07-2008, 08:14 AM
I actually like Zombie the The European cut the best its more scary and the music kicks ass but I also love the US Theatrical cut.

captainoneliner
12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I like both of them quite a bit. I'm odd about this sort of thing, though.. the original is certainly a classic with that classic feel.. but sometimes I don't want to watch something that feels that dated... in that case, i would pop in the remake, which I find to be a perfectly acceptable movie, and has that modern style.

The original is BETTER, certainly, but it's not always the one I would choose to watch. Whatever way the wind is blowing that day.

Pepperkin
12-08-2008, 10:48 AM
The original Dawn. Ken Foree was great in this movie as was the rest of the cast.
The mall location was another good idea. The remake was good but no remake can really compare to the original especially when the original is so damn good. When i first saw Dawn i remember thinking "wow". I had never seen anything like it. People were actually getting sick at some of the scenes.
Most fun i've had in a theater i think.

Curseofmyers
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I Will Always Like The 78 Version And Its Us Theatrical Version I Own It On DVD :banana:

TouchMe4Money
03-19-2009, 12:36 PM
I can't quite choose. There are parts to each of them that really belong in the finished version.

I wish Anchor Bay and or Starz would release a definitive, digitally remastered version that combines every single scene and piece of dialogue from each separate version.

I heard there was a site online that already did that but I kind of want it official Anchor Bay collection kind of thing.

Khan
03-19-2009, 12:47 PM
There is a fan edit that combined all known scenes in one version running 156 minutes called the Ultimate Final Cut.

However, the sound and such is off due to the quality of some of the footage, similar to the P-cut.

TouchMe4Money
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
That's why I'm hoping Anchor Bay or someone would do it better and hopefully that'll be the end of needing to buy another version.

Though I guess so many copies and versions of it have been released already that most people would rather just buy the fan edit.

Khan
03-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I have the Ultimate Edition set and that works well for me.

Each cut has something different to offer.

TouchMe4Money
03-19-2009, 01:09 PM
The way I work it now is that I have to move from disc to disc to see the scenes I want in the order I want to see them in. It's a pain, but I'm used to it from my years of VHS marathons and TV shows I recorded in SP.

MaDMaNMaRz
03-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I didn't like Dawn 2004 at all. My favorite has always been the Theatrical Version. I do like the Directors Cut of it as well. While I do like the added scenes, they don't really add anything to it, so I prefer the Theatrical version.

TouchMe4Money
03-20-2009, 06:53 AM
I didn't like Dawn 2004 at all.
Neither did I.

My favorite has always been the Theatrical Version. I do like the Directors Cut of it as well. While I do like the added scenes, they don't really add anything to it, so I prefer the Theatrical version.
The European version I found, in the later scenes added dialogue that I really didn't like. At least, in the scene where Peter and Stephen talk with Fran listening in the closet type room.

But the Extended version I thought added some pretty good stuff. But, the European version definitely made the first 2 scenes much better. For instance, the bit where Roger is repeating all the words the guy on the loudspeaker says before he says them. And he says more to the young blond guy who gets shot in the forehead before he dies, making it a little more shocking when the blond guy is shot right there next to Roger. Even more importantly, is the extra stuff in the television studio with Fran. The theatrical version completely removes an essential piece of dialogue. The part where Fran says, "but not to the enemy, we're blowin' it ourselves."

The part I agree was useless were the group of other runners and the guy asking for cigarettes.

Khan
03-20-2009, 07:03 AM
I like the extended version because of the scene in the beginning featuring Joe Pilato.

TouchMe4Money
03-20-2009, 07:10 AM
I like the extended version because of the scene in the beginning featuring Joe Pilato.
I like the later extended scenes, starting around when we get to the mall.

Though I can't watch that version all the way to the end. The music cue when the elevator doors open to show zombie Stephen's face is different in this version and much better in the theatrical version. However, I believe it's the extended version that has that big "GONG!" sound effect at the very end, when the credits are over. I love that.

TheThirdHalf
03-20-2009, 07:18 AM
DOTD 04 was awful. When you have to shoot a baby to get a rise out of the audience, your movie is lacking. Let's be serious, that scene was only for shock value because up until then, the movie had none.

TouchMe4Money
03-20-2009, 07:29 AM
DOTD 04 was awful. When you have to shoot a baby to get a rise out of the audience, your movie is lacking. Let's be serious, that scene was only for shock value because up until then, the movie had none.
This is beautiful. If I hear any more, I may have an orgasm!

oltrelamorte
10-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Initially, I'd say the extended cut but nowadays I'm more into the US theatrical cut. I find myself watching it more. I haven't seen the European cut in quite some time so I can't really comment on it at the moment.

Rich
03-07-2010, 10:19 AM
I like the theatrical version the best. The interesting thing is that for years the extended edition was referred to as the director's cut, when in fact the theatrical version is actually the director's cut, because that is the George A. Romero approved version of the film. That is why THIS edition changed the name of it from director's cut to extended cut.

I DO NOT care very much for the European cut though.

I am about to give the remake a second chance, being that I got it for $5 at Walmart.

A Dumb Question
03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Romero's cut and Argento's cut both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Dr_Loomis02
08-21-2010, 08:59 AM
James Rolfe and a trip to the shopping mall of the original DOTD:

http://www.cinemassacre.com/2010/07/16/a-trip-to-the-dawn-of-the-dead-shopping-mall/

Rich
08-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I don't see any weakness in Romero's Dawn of the Dead in either cut. I do not care for the European cut. I feel like they did an MPAA job on the film. They didn't censor the violence though, they censored substance.

The Frightmaster
10-22-2010, 08:17 PM
A Trip to The Dawn of the Dead Shopping Mall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVcd0Fmtpw&feature=sub

Jerry
11-26-2010, 10:29 AM
I liked them all. But my fav is the theatrical version of DOTD... I grew up with that one...

Nightmareman88
01-22-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99aGoKYn1ws

lol

Brimstone
01-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I always seem to watch the Extended Cut every time I watch this.I can't remember the last time I watched the Theatrical or European versions.

Crazy_Ralph
01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
While I like Zack Snyder as a filmmaker, I did not like DOTD '04 at all. I have not seen any of the alternate cuts of Dawn of the Dead, but would like to; but, for me, the theatrical cut stands out as the superior version between itself and the reboot.

The Frightmaster
03-30-2011, 04:56 PM
I definitely prefer the European version of the film. As a matter of fact I really wasn't a huge fan of the original DOTD fan until the saw that version. See with the US release I find it to be a big boring and tedious in certain parts. But I think the European cut really trims the fat and keeps the pacing real tight and moving. I know people say well the European release cuts out all the humor and this and that. But I don't mind because it really keeps my attention makes the original DOTD even more entertaining for me. The only thing I didn't like about the alternate version is they cut out the zombie getting the top of his cut off by the helicopter. That I felt could of been left it, since it's such a memorable moment and one of my favorite parts.

discvader
04-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I prefer the Blu-ray version. It's the purdiest. :D So theatrical cut...I believe.

urbanchaos
04-12-2011, 07:10 PM
I can't really have an opinion on which version I like the best since I've only watch the Theatrical version, but what I can say is that not a single zombie movie can top the original Dawn in it's T-Cut version IMO.

Torgo
04-12-2011, 09:07 PM
I can't really have an opinion on which version I like the best since I've only watch the Theatrical version, but what I can say is that not a single zombie movie can top the original Dawn in it's T-Cut version IMO.

Agreed.

MattyHusted
04-27-2011, 12:33 PM
T-Cut then Argento Cut then Directors

Bearscubsfan87
04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
I've got to go with the Original Theatrical cut because that's the only version I've seen.

blacksymbiote
07-18-2011, 07:41 PM
After seeing all the others, I still prefer the theatrical. The different footage doesn't really make a huge difference.

Rich
09-12-2011, 10:45 AM
The theatrical cut is the best cut of the movie I think. The European cut takes away from the film with the cuts. The extended ut slows the plot down tremendously with the added scenes that you just don't need. The theatrical cut is George's preferred cut and I agree with him.