PDA

View Full Version : How has your view changed on this movie?

Mr Sandman
07-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Since you saw it first, has it grown on you, gotten worse, stayed constant?
It has become better over the years for me.

Roswell
07-29-2011, 10:40 PM
I think after watching Zombie's followup, the remake has lost a bit of its bite. Zombie was obviously conflicted when it came to the decision of when the film should chart its own path and when it should adhere to Carpenter's original, and it shows (even in the Director's Cut). I still enjoy it quite a bit, but I feel that Zombie took what he learned with this film and made a better film in H2.

MyersFan927
07-29-2011, 10:50 PM
I liked it for a while, but now it's "meh". The first half aggravates me because of its exposure of Michael's childhood - the broken home, the bullies, his mounting rage...there's nothing left to the imagination. It suggests these things created the inhuman, evil maniac he would become, which is silly IMO. In the second half, it's a straight remake - one that is hard to enjoy because of the first half.

The acting and cinematography of RZH are highlights, though. Rob knows how to direct a scene, too. RZH2 is a lot better.

Unknown-Horror
07-29-2011, 11:06 PM
The only problem I have with zombie's version is the whole abuse idea. Kid's at school, his step dad. Also didn't care for the whole remake idea. I was hoping the series would move foward (H8, H9, etc.) not come back in a loop. Otherwise I liked the movie.

A Dumb Question
07-30-2011, 07:11 AM
I've grown more dismissive and less defensive of it.

PumpkinKing~*`
07-30-2011, 07:21 AM
I think after watching Zombie's followup, the remake has lost a bit of its bite. Zombie was obviously conflicted when it came to the decision of when the film should chart its own path and when it should adhere to Carpenter's original, and it shows (even in the Director's Cut). I still enjoy it quite a bit, but I feel that Zombie took what he learned with this film and made a better film in H2.

Pretty much this. H2 is where Zombie probably wanted to go but between the studio and it being a franchise he couldn't completely do his vision.

The Saw
07-30-2011, 07:55 AM
I hated it for a long time. But then I watched H2, and for whatever reason, it made me like this more. But, I still completely hate the entire first half. It's laughable. So it's grown on me, but only the second half.

H-Field Hero
07-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I was "meh" when I walked out of the theater and since then I've faced the fact that it sucks. I actually read a very good review of the film earlier in the week. Some of you are probably familiar with Devin Faraci. He's one of chud.com's film reviewers and is very good and very hilarious at what he does. He's the one that went back and reviewed all of the Friday the 13th movies during a week leading up to an actual Friday the 13th some years back. Anyway his original review of the film pretty much hits it dead on. Here's the link for anyone who's interested. It's rather humorous too :p.

http://www.chud.com/11637/review-halloween-devins-take/

Torgo
07-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Even with its uneven tones and halves, I still prefer it to H2.

Astro_Creep
07-31-2011, 01:40 PM
I used to love all of it.

Now I really like the first half, but once Zombie had to enter Carpenterland is when it loses me. Still think some of the 2nd half is good tho.

Khan
07-31-2011, 01:54 PM
I didn't like initially and after seeing the sequel, I like even less. The uneven pacing has always annoyed me and it sticks out even more compared to RZH2.

Reobeem
07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
When I first saw it I hated it. Then after repeat viewings it got better to the point where I can put up with it. Now it's more comical, mostly in the prequel parts.

scarymoviechap
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I hated it for a long time. But then I watched H2, and for whatever reason, it made me like this more. But, I still completely hate the entire first half. It's laughable. So it's grown on me, but only the second half.

I'm surprised by how many comments are made about the second half being better. I always found the first half to me more interesting and a good tragedy. I find the second half to be, well, kinda pointless. What was laughable about the first half?

Anyway, I enjoyed it more when it came out. Still a fan but I'd rather watch his sequel.

The Saw
07-31-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm surprised by how many comments are made about the second half being better. I always found the first half to me more interesting and a good tragedy. I find the second half to be, well, kinda pointless. What was laughable about the first half?

Anyway, I enjoyed it more when it came out. Still a fan but I'd rather watch his sequel.

Alot of people hate the second half for being the same as the original, but that's why I liked it. I thought the casting of young Myers was absolutely awful. I laughed out loud quite a bit during the first half. I despise it. With a passion.

Torgo
07-31-2011, 04:53 PM
I used to love all of it.

Now I really like the first half, but once Zombie had to enter Carpenterland is when it loses me. Still think some of the 2nd half is good tho.

I prefer the 2nd half. Michael breaks a lot more doors in the 2nd half.

Danny Strode
07-31-2011, 07:23 PM
I've grown more dismissive and less defensive of it.

I think this is the approach I've taken as well.

Michael Voorhees
07-31-2011, 08:40 PM
I still like RZH, & it's one of my favorite movies of the series, no doubt, but at the same time, I've come to see the flaws that a numerous amount of people have pointed out to me in the past. The second half of the film still suffers from being too Carpenter-esque. I absolutely believe if Zombie was able to do RZH his own way as he did with RZH2, it would've been a much, much better film overall.

TheThirdHalf
08-01-2011, 05:17 AM
The workprint was a lot less Carpenter-esque as you say, but it's still horribly flawed from a pacing point of view.

Ivan
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
I like it much more than I used to in the past.

You_Let_Him_Out
08-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I thought it was horrendous the first time, especially the second half.

Now, I just think it's pretty bad. The first half is decent, even with the lazy, whitetrash backstory. The second half is a pretty bad remake of the original.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-01-2011, 11:53 PM
The workprint was a lot less Carpenter-esque as you say, but it's still horribly flawed from a pacing point of view.

To be fair, virtually all workprints are somewhat haphazardly edited. When I saw the RZH Workprint, I said to myself, "Well, obviously, the pacing will be ironed out in the theatrical cut." Imagine my surprise when that was not the case. haha

A Dumb Question
08-02-2011, 07:28 AM
More than any other film in the franchise, RZH makes me want to take it for a spin through an Avid.

MischievousSpirit
08-02-2011, 09:05 AM
I've always liked it, but I like RZH2 (The director's cut, specifcally) a lot more.

Bearscubsfan87
08-02-2011, 11:26 AM
My view of this film has not changed a whole lot. Its better than a lot of the trash horror films thats out there, but fails when its compared to the earlier, specifically the first four, films of the series.

MichaelJrdnMyrs
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
I'm surprised by how many comments are made about the second half being better.

I'm with you, man. I can't fathom how so many can enjoy the 2nd half. I mean, the pacing is just so absolutely wretched, I don't see how it's possible.

You don't know how BAD I want to simply be able to tolerate it, yet every time I watch it, I find it to be shockingly abysmal.

The Saw
08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm with you, man. I can't fathom how so many can enjoy the 2nd half. I mean, the pacing is just so absolutely wretched, I don't see how it's possible.

You don't know how BAD I want to simply be able to tolerate it, yet every time I watch it, I find it to be shockingly abysmal.

The atrocious performance by Daeg ( spelling? ) ruined the first half for me.

MichaelJrdnMyrs
08-02-2011, 10:12 PM

I can understand that viewpoint. He's a kid, and he's definitely not Olivier.

I'm talking about the second half in and of itself. The initial Haddonfield scenes get like, 5 minutes total, then the climax drags on for about 45 minutes.

Roswell
08-02-2011, 10:21 PM

Ouch. I thought Daeg and Malcolm pretty much carried the first half of the film on their own.

The Saw
08-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Ouch. I thought Daeg and Malcolm pretty much carried the first half of the film on their own.

Loomis and the kid from Spy Kids are the only thing that entertained me.

the 'M' clam
08-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I've always liked it, but I like RZH2 (The director's cut, specifcally) a lot more.

I want to see the director's cut of RZH2 as it was not release here in the UK.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I'm really starting to warm up to the Turkish Cut, actually.

the 'M' clam
08-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I'm really starting to warm up to the Turkish Cut, actually.

Do you think it would be better if you actually watch the Turkish Cut in Turkey?

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-08-2011, 12:45 AM
I like to watch it while eating turkey, personally.

A Dumb Question
08-08-2011, 12:51 AM
I like to watch it in a Turkish gypsy camp, where two women fight for the right to watch it with me.

the 'M' clam
08-08-2011, 12:58 AM
I like to watch it in a Turkish gypsy camp, where two women fight for the right to watch it with me.

Oh God. You really have got bad taste for women. If you ever going to find love in Turkey with a Turkish woman I would say good luck with her. On depends on the bitch that wins to watch the Turkish T cut with you.

blacksymbiote
08-10-2011, 12:49 AM
I think RZH has grown a little more on me over time when I saw the creativity in it. It does offer an interesting alternative to the original series and it had an awesome sequel.

the 'M' clam
08-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I think RZH has grown a little more on me over time when I saw the creativity in it. It does offer an interesting alternative to the original series and it had an awesome sequel.

RZH2 is awesome sequel. When 1st seen RZH1 I did not like it as much but since I seen RZH2 it has made me like RZH1 better the more I watch RZH2. So yes RZH has also grown on me as well.

Myers78-?
08-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I've always really liked RZH, even when i first saw it in theaters. Admittedly, it has become a tad bit bland, but I still love the film. The second half is definitely better though.

RZH2 is the superior film though. H2 doesn't seem to lose it's charm to me, and it made me want to watch RZH again. It's weird, but I feel the need to watch these two in order. I just have to for some reason.

the 'M' clam
08-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I've always really liked RZH, even when i first saw it in theaters. Admittedly, it has become a tad bit bland, but I still love the film. The second half is definitely better though.

RZH2 is the superior film though. H2 doesn't seem to lose it's charm to me, and it made me want to watch RZH again. It's weird, but I feel the need to watch these two in order. I just have to for some reason.

It's funny as I feel same as you do. When I watch RZH I have towatch RZH2 also the same goes to John Carpenter's Halloween 1 & 2 & the first 4 films of Friday the 13th. I do find enjoy them better as I watch them in order.

halo thirty one
08-12-2011, 05:46 AM
My opinion for this one really hasn't changed since seeing it the first time. I wasn't expecting much, so I wasn't disappointed. And I feel it's better than many of the other Halloween movies out there. It's Zombie's H2 that I did a complete flip flop on.

H-Field Hero
08-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Watching a few minutes of it on MTV now. First time I've seen any of it in a year or so. I swear sometimes it feels like a SNL or MadTV skit.

Danny Strode
08-13-2011, 08:19 AM
RZH just isn't meant for cable airing. I've missed out on all the viewings between MTV and Spike.

Khan
08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
The Spike TV airing reminded me of the censorship on TBS, now known as Peachtree TV.

When Space aired it here, I don't remember them censoring anything.

Roswell
08-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Aside from censoring the film, MTV also crops the film from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1, rather than opening up the frame like Spike apparently did. So yeah, you're seeing even less of the movie if you watch it on MTV.

Then again, I don't think people should watch MTV for ANYTHING these days. ;)

Warlock44
08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
My feelings haven't changed much. The story telling is just fundamentally flawed. In the original Carpenter Halloween, Loomis served as our insight into Michael Myers. In the beginning we see this seemingly innocent kid commit this unexplained God awful crime in white bread, middle America. That's all we know. Years later after Michael breaks free, we have no idea what has happened to this kid, except through the insight of Loomis. It is his fears and paranoia that shapes our belief that Myers is something "more". Without Loomis, we have no guide to explain Myer's origins. And it's this unknown and speculation on the supernatural that makes Myer's interesting. With Zombie's remake, all of that conjecture is eliminated. We see exactly how Myers grows up and it's a very one dimensional "society did it", "He's from a bad home" explanation. The kid is just nuts as a result of his environment and so Loomis serves no purpose here. He makes illogical leaps where the audience already knows the kid's background. So the mystery behind Myers is nonexistent. And thus the movie has no impact. It's just a gore fest in a fowl mouthed little town.

Remicis
08-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I was "meh" when I walked out of the theater and since then I've faced the fact that it sucks. I actually read a very good review of the film earlier in the week. Some of you are probably familiar with Devin Faraci. He's one of chud.com's film reviewers and is very good and very hilarious at what he does. He's the one that went back and reviewed all of the Friday the 13th movies during a week leading up to an actual Friday the 13th some years back. Anyway his original review of the film pretty much hits it dead on. Here's the link for anyone who's interested. It's rather humorous too :p.

http://www.chud.com/11637/review-halloween-devins-take/

Nice review. And it sums up my still-persisting feelings on this flick far more wittily than I ever could. haha Best part was this:

...I think that Halloween 2007 may be the worst entry in the franchise. Yes, that means I like Bustah Rhymes kung fu fighting Michael Myers better. Yes, that means I like the mystical mumbo jumbo with Druids and Paul Rudd better. Yes, that means I like the one with Tom Atkins and no Michael Myers better.

Though in all fairness, I've always said that the only thing giving H:R an infinitesimal leg up for me is that I can at least watch it - which is more than I can do, to this day, with RZH. But at the end of it all, I see them both languishing in the Crappy Movie Crackhouse. Just for slightly different reasons.

Noctir
11-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I still hate the trailer trash dialog and the way they made him a typical 90s teen that killed because he was picked on. That said, I like the alternate ending better. Oddly, I just saw this version and I prefer the sombre tone to it rather than the psychotic one that I saw in the theatre.

Roswell
11-12-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't think Michael kills because he was picked on. He obviously enjoys killing (his killing of animals before the Halloween murders shows that), and the torment he receives just gives him an excuse to move up from animals to people.

And unlike most people, I don't really feel sorry for Michael, at least not during the killings. He knows what he's doing is wrong, but he doesn't give a shit. He LIKES it, and nobody can change that. Not his mother, not Laurie, not even Dr. Loomis, who tries to make sense of Michael but fails to.

I like the alternate ending, but with Zombie's H2 now in place, the ending we have makes a lot more sense. If we look at the two films as one continuous story, the focus is on Michael and Laurie, and the ending represents the turning point in that story.

A Dumb Question
11-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Yes, but if we watch RZH as its own film (as intended) rather than as the first part of a larger story, then the original ending is more appropriate. RZH was not made with RZH2 in mind, as we all know.

Captain Mal
11-13-2011, 04:22 AM
The more a I watch it, the less I like it. However the more I watch RZH2 the more I like it.

EvilOnTwoLegs
11-13-2011, 04:36 AM
The more I watch it, the less I like it. However the more I watch RZH2 the more I like it.

This has basically been my experience with the two films, as well.

jseremet
11-16-2011, 11:04 PM
I first saw it via the workprint. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it, either. Not as much as some of the other crappy sequels I've seen anyway (RESURRECTION, to me, is easily the worst of them all). I went years before watching it again until finally renting it again this past Halloween and having seen RZH2 and being pleasantly surprised.

I liked it a bit more (I maintain that the first half is still well done), but the second half is a mess. I also went back and watched the workprint and was thoroughly frustrated by the scenes that I thought worked so much better there, in particular the death of Mr & Mrs Strode and Michael chasing Laurie from the Strode house. I thought both scenes were so much more effective in the workprint. I also liked the music better in the workprint better as well. Even if it was just temp music, it was better than re-using the same cues from the original 1978 version. Lastly, the workprint ending works better, but only when you think of RZH as a standalone. The actual ending works better for the continued story in RZH2.

In all, it's not great. But it's not the disaster some make it out to be.

Cvlt ov Wolf
11-17-2011, 12:30 AM
This movie has gotten progressively lower on my list due to RZH2 and now sits above H20 and HR, two films I despise. Its certainly a good film, like H20, but also like H20 it does so many things that I dislike. The use of rock tracks throughout just felt too much at times and was more tastefully executed in RZH2DC. The switch from first half to second half is just jarring, it feels like a Rob Zombie film then a poor imitation of JCH. Bleh.

Todd 78
11-17-2011, 02:34 PM
This film is a victim of RZH2 . What Imean its weaker elements are when Zombie tries to honor Carpentar and it doesn't feel like his film , a bit bipoar in stle & substance there .... This became more noticiable or at least sticks out more because the dc of RZH2 , we saw Zombie's Vision and it compliments his style more . If it makes sense.

I still like it a hell of a lot more than than anything that came after Halloween 4 but RZH2 is where Zombie shines ...

Dementress
01-30-2012, 08:47 AM
The first time I saw it, I thought..."hmm....strange...cool...but...huh?"
It was a little out there and the whole Dr.Loomis debacle did hit a nerve.
But I LOVED the hospital scene. I saw it at the midnight showing, and my sister who was preggie at the time, had to get up and waddle. She was all hell no and stuff.
Good times.Good times.
I didn't see it again until it came out on DVD...and I think over time it has become one of my favorites, I love the Directors cut, it made it so much better.

the 'M' clam
02-11-2012, 07:45 PM
My view has not change. I dont hate the film and seeing young Michael at Smith's Grove was the most interesting part of the film. The kills are just pointless in my view.

EvilOnTwoLegs
02-12-2012, 03:42 AM
Actually, the point of the kills was to make people dead.

the 'M' clam
02-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Actually, the point of the kills was to make people dead.

Yeah I know. But the kills boring so to watch. Remake of Friday the 13th had different, new and much better kills.

Franchise
02-12-2012, 07:17 AM
You're high as fuck, son!

the 'M' clam
02-12-2012, 12:11 PM
You're high as fuck, son!

I know I am. Now you notice.

Franchise
02-12-2012, 02:50 PM
You need some sort of device that won't let you log on when you're high. Now that'd be a damn good thing.

the 'M' clam
02-13-2012, 02:43 AM
You need some sort of device that won't let you log on when you're high. Now that'd be a damn good thing.

I was high drunk last night but today I'm fine. Maybe in the near future we will see some kind of a device that stops drunks to log on.

JoshuaKelhoffer
05-11-2012, 05:41 PM
When I saw it in theaters, I liked it a whole lot more. My opinion has changed.

I love Rob Zombie as a musician, and I like listening to his commentaries. He obviously sounds like a smart guy. But a lot of the scenes just feel sloppy to me. The ending is something you write on a first draft, knowing very well you get a better idea on the next pass.

When I watch RZH and H2, I just don't get the sense that he made very many passes on his screenplays.

Peaker1990
05-11-2012, 05:47 PM
When I saw it in theaters, I liked it a whole lot more. My opinion has changed.

I love Rob Zombie as a musician, and I like listening to his commentaries. He obviously sounds like a smart guy. But a lot of the scenes just feel sloppy to me. The ending is something you write on a first draft, knowing very well you get a better idea on the next pass.

When I watch RZH and H2, I just don't get the sense that he made very many passes on his screenplays.

Zombie wasn't given enough time to write more than a first or second draft, you know. Both productions were rushed to theaters by the Weinsteins.

And the ending of H2 (the real ending, in the director's cut...) is basically perfect.

A Dumb Question
05-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I just can't motivate myself to watch it anymore. It sits abandoned next to Resurrection. Even Halloween 5 gets more views from me, and I despise that flick.

Thorni52
06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm about to rewatch this in a bit. I think I might watch the Michael Lives: Documentary first. For those who have seen it. How good is it?

Roswell
06-18-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm about to rewatch this in a bit. I think I might watch the Michael Lives: Documentary first. For those who have seen it. How good is it?

It's pretty good. It's a long watch, but it doesn't really feel like it. There's always something going on (both good and bad).

EvilOnTwoLegs
06-18-2012, 10:53 PM
I enjoy Michael Lives. But then, I love making-of docs, and the more comprehensive they are, the better. So a 4-hour doc of that type usually gets my seal of approval. Personally, I probably enjoy Michael Lives more than I enjoy RZH. haha

Pandaz
06-19-2012, 12:02 AM
As I come to enjoy RZH2 more and more, this film just seems worse and worse. It's still better than a good handful of the original series, in my opinion, but the editing and all of the throwbacks to the original really detract from its quality. It's like the film doesn't know whether it wants to recreate or rehash the original story.

fred myers
06-19-2012, 05:58 AM
im still waiting for RZH1 to be released in England, tho my hopes are quickly fading . I own the German Speacial Edition DVD and was gonna fork out for the BD , but my confidence was shot when i got RZH2 and H2 only to find the films edited to shit (All the kill scenes were cut and/or watered down).

the 'M' clam
06-19-2012, 07:44 AM
I enjoy Michael Lives. But then, I love making-of docs, and the more comprehensive they are, the better. So a 4-hour doc of that type usually gets my seal of approval. Personally, I probably enjoy Michael Lives more than I enjoy RZH. haha

Well least you good taste in a sequel you enjoy better then RZH. :D

Michael Voorhees
06-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Five years later & this is still one of my pen-ultimate favorites of the series. I do agree that in some areas it could've been better, but it's still one of the better remakes out there, I'd say, & it dares to be different within its first half. It probably would've been even better had Zombie been allowed to go all out like he wanted to.

Thorni52
06-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Five years later & this is still one of my pen-ultimate favorites of the series. I do agree that in some areas it could've been better, but it's still one of the better remakes out there, I'd say, & it dares to be different within its first half. It probably would've been even better had Zombie been allowed to go all out like he wanted to.

He really had direct control to do whatever he wanted with this movie. With that said, I think he felt restricted by the fans and franchise traditions to not go all the way with it. I think the films first two acts are fine. But I don't like the way it's shot, and I think it falls apart at the 3rd act.

Roswell
06-23-2012, 06:27 PM
He really had direct control to do whatever he wanted with this movie.

Not true. Zombie wanted to do two films, but Dimension told him he could only do one. Hence the Young Michael and Rushed Remake halves of the film.

Thorni52
06-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Not true. Zombie wanted to do two films, but Dimension told him he could only do one. Hence the Young Michael and Rushed Remake halves of the film.

I knew that. I mean with this film though. I've heard him say he wasn't even pressured to use the mask if he didn't want to. I don't know who convinced him to crop the film to 2.39:1 but that was a huge mistake.

I'm glad he did it as one film. If he would've done 2 then we would have had one good prequel and a terrible rehash of the original film.

Roswell
06-23-2012, 09:16 PM
If he would've done 2 then we would have had one good prequel and a terrible rehash of the original film.

Who says Zombie would have done it the same way had he been able to do two films instead of one? We might have gotten something more in line with H2.

And the remake portion of the first film is only flawed because of the studio. The studio was the one who said Zombie could only do one film (thus forcing him to squeeze whatever thoughts he had for the actual remake into the last 45 minutes of the movie), and the studio was the one that suggested he add more Carpenter material to the film. Zombie obviously had some control over what went on (more so than a lot of the other directors that have worked for Dimension), but he still had to deal with Dimension looking over his shoulder at all times.

Thorni52
06-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I think Zombie had complete control on what he wanted the final act to be. For some reason he still stuck with the carpenter universe. Maybe if he'd gotten his two films then the 2nd would've been different. But having complete control of this one, and just doing a rehash in the final act was missed opportunity. Dimension might have pushed for more JC element but Zombie had total control over this project.

The studio let Zombie do what he want. He felt pressure from the fans and JC's film reputation the most. Luckily we got RZH2 which is what RZH should've been.

Roswell
06-23-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that Zombie had complete control over the remake. Think about it like this: Carpenter had complete control of the original Halloween. He got final cut (something Zombie didn't have) and basically made the film that he wanted to make. Zombie not only had to deal with the studio telling him that he couldn't do two films, he had to deal with test screenings and reshoots. A director who has complete creative control usually doesn't have to deal with stuff like that unless they WANT to.

And unless your name is Tarantino or Rodriguez, Dimension isn't very keen on giving directors free reign to do what they want. The Halloween franchise under them is a great example of how Dimension likes to do business, and while Zombie may have gotten through it better than the other directors who have helmed Halloween films, he still was subject to their way of doing things. Maybe Zombie could have done a few things differently, but this was the first time he had to deal with a studio in this manner (Universal and Lionsgate had left him alone for the most part). I'm sure he learned his lesson with the remake (hence why H2, even with studio interference, turned out to be the better film), but to say that he had complete control over the project is simply not true.

Thorni52
06-23-2012, 10:29 PM
He wasn't allowed to make two films, but the film they let him make was basically in his control. The Directors cut is the film that he wanted to make. There were some reshoots for the T-Cut, but most, if not all of them were because Zombie wanted to do them.

EvilOnTwoLegs
06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Yeah, aside from the aspect ratio, the RZH Director's Cut is totally Zombie's film. He's since expressed disappointment with the result, as he feels he stuck too closely to the beats of the original (and I agree with him), but the film is what he wanted it to be. There's no way to say how things would've gone if he'd been allowed to do a straight "Young Michael" movie, then a quasi-remake. But the film that we got is very much Zombie, and pretty much free of all meddling from the producers. Again, aside from that pesky aspect ratio issue.

Honestly, he had more control of RZH than he did over RZH2...and yet, RZH2 is still more Rob Zombie than RZH. Because while the changes the Weinsteins pushed on him did compromise the film somewhat, he still went all-out in the direction he felt was right, rather than feeling beholden to a tradition. The only thing that stood in Zombie's way with RZH was Zombie himself, and his feelings of obligation to the franchise.

blacksymbiote
06-26-2012, 02:34 PM
A movie only concerning young Michael without any supernatural aspect to it would probably look like every other horror movie featuring a child that kills.

Barrybgb
08-01-2013, 08:57 AM
It's changed somewhat, but not drastically. Like everyone else, I was mortified when I heard it was being remade. I still wished it hadn't been. I disliked everything I was hearing and seeing. There were problems and mistakes, which I won't go into fully here as it will go on forever, and they still exist. However, over the years, I have learned to take this movie out of the original franchise and on it's own. I've grown softer towards it. After the horrendous pile of poo that was H2, and the insulting, slap in the face that was the Elm Street remake, Halloween '07 has looked better. It's still not a "good" movie. The problems and mistakes are still there. But I have been able to warm up to it a little....but only just.

ClassOf78
08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm easier on this movie than I used to be. Half of the movie is effective, but badly paced. The other half of the movie falls into familiar territory. It's something we've seen before, with a few things done differently, with more pacing issues and lack of character development which only could have been avoided via.... A. A different narrative or B. A longer running time.

SLAB
08-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Shitty movie overall, it's sequel improves on it by leaps and bounds.

PumpkinKing~*`
08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I still really like this movie (D-cut preferably). It's the first Halloween I saw in theaters, so there's that.

I see now that the movie is about 50% Rob and the other half is Rob trying to pay homage to that and keep the studios happy. But I think it's easily one of the best reboots. Not to mention that because of this film we got H2.

CJ7
08-01-2013, 10:18 PM
When it comes right down to it Dimension screwed over Rob Zombie and Kevin Williamson, good job Weinsteins...good job.

As for my view on this movie...it hasn't really changed. I've always thought the young Michael portion was...how should I put it? Unique I guess but the second half is better, much better.

AquiredTasteMan
08-01-2013, 11:19 PM
The first time I've seen it I liked it and that was back 2007 when I was 13 then I've became a fan of the original series and watched them all and then I quickly changed my opinion to a negative one one. It's not because it's a remake it's because it's an insult to the original series. See I'm the only fan nowadays that feels loyal to the original series. It pisses me off when I hear people bitch about remakes because most aren't bad but when I see someone who claims themselves a fan of Halloween go on to say that those Rob Zombie films are good then go on to say that Halloween II(which helped the franchise become as well known as it is today) is shit,The family storyline ruined the first film(then their won't be a franchise then), & Busta Rhymes beats up Michael Myers(that isn't bad at all). I only hate the ones who fuck with Michael Myers H5(Michael cries),H6(He's rapes his niece and is apart of some cult) & RZ's H1 & 2(They fuck with Laurie,Michael & Dr Loomis they are trashy films with childish dialogue). H(78),H2(1981),H3,H4,H20 & Ressurection will always he the good ones while H5,H6,RZ's H1 & H2 will be the scum of the series. Rob Zombie is a good director when its original works like House of 1000 Corpuses & Devils Rejects. Stop and Think about how Ressurection treated Michael & the fans respectfully and how Rob Zombies was the opiste.

Roswell
08-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Here we go again with the "true fan" bullshit. You can pack up your loyalty and hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned.

The Cold Reader
08-02-2013, 03:58 AM
Liked it in 2007. Love it in 2013.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Liked it in 2007. Love it in 2013.
Enjoyed it in 2007 Fucking loathed it in 2013

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Here we go again with the "true fan" bullshit. You can pack up your loyalty and hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned.
Best get Loyal or GTFO jk kind of. I don't see why a fan would like this film.

CJ7
08-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Best get Loyal or GTFO jk kind of. I don't see why a fan would like this film.
It's called opinions ATM...everyone is entitled to them. Weird though how you say Rob's films are the trash of the franchise and yet I see you have them listed above H5 and H6. And despite it being your opinion, since I like all of the films including both of Rob's entries does that not make me and everyone else who does a fan? Just asking.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 09:18 AM
It's called opinions ATM...everyone is entitled to them. Weird though how you say Rob's films are the trash of the franchise and yet I see you have them listed above H5 and H6. And despite it being your opinion, since I like all of the films including both of Rob's entries does that not make me and everyone else who does a fan? Just asking.
I'm having fun and I'm accepting of his and your opinions.

CJ7
08-02-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm having fun and I'm accepting of his and your opinions.
As I said at the end of my previous post, just asking. I'm not looking to start with you.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 09:30 AM
As I said at the end of my previous post, just asking. I'm not looking to start with you.
Yes they can be a true fan I just personally don't like them but thank you for being humble.

CJ7
08-02-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes they can be a true fan I just personally don't like them but thank you for being humble.
Welcome and I respect your opinion as well. Originally I didn't like this film very much mostly the young Michael portion so you and everyone else might be wondering what I mean by a previous pst of mine where I said "My view on this film hasn't really changed" and to a certain degree it hasn't. It has in that I like it more than I used to but since I actually started to like this film my view on it hasn't changed since. The young Michael portionis good, the second half is better..that's my view. It was and is something much different from the rest of the franchise which automatically made me not like it much but over time of giving it a chance and looking at it as something seperate from the rest of the franchise like it is I ended up liking it. I went into RZHII with this different mind set and liked it my first viewiing except for Michael speaking..that took a while to come around to but I don't have a problem with it any more.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 09:57 AM
I thought that if the portion of the film that was His childhood and Mental hospital had stronger writting and directing then it would've been great then when it became Michael stalking and killing with Dr Loomis on pursit it had no salvageable things to it.
Welcome and I respect your opinion as well. Originally I didn't like this film very much mostly the young Michael portion so you and everyone else might be wondering what I mean by a previous pst of mine where I said "My view on this film hasn't really changed" and to a certain degree it hasn't. It has in that I like it more than I used to but since I actually started to like this film my view on it hasn't changed since. The young Michael portionis good, the second half is better..that's my view. It was and is something much different from the rest of the franchise which automatically made me not like it much but over time of giving it a chance and looking at it as something seperate from the rest of the franchise like it is I ended up liking it. I went into RZHII with this different mind set and liked it my first viewiing except for Michael speaking..that took a while to come around to but I don't have a problem with it any more.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 10:00 AM
But wey I'm not into my horror films being brutal and dirty I'm more of a fan of my horror being like Dracula 2000

Roswell
08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
But wey I'm not into my horror films being brutal and dirty I'm more of a fan of my horror being like Dracula 2000

That explains a lot.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 10:43 AM
That explains a lot.

What does the explain? That I have a classy taste in horror films.

A Dumb Question
08-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Dracula 2000 is not classy.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Dracula 2000 is not classy.

Yes it is. Go on to validate your point.

Khan
08-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I was dumb enough to see that movie on the big screen and it was not worth my time and money.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
I was dumb enough to see that movie on the big screen and it was not worth my time and money.

I wish I've seen that movie on the big screen.

PumpkinKing~*`
08-02-2013, 03:13 PM
An argument with ATM is not only a waste of time and effort, your IQ could take a serious drop.

CJ7
08-02-2013, 06:37 PM
I thought that if the portion of the film that was His childhood and Mental hospital had stronger writting and directing then it would've been great then when it became Michael stalking and killing with Dr Loomis on pursit it had no salvageable things to it.This was covered by the discussion about how Rob was forced to cram as much into one film as possible, he did the best he could. Although he has gone on record saying that he feels the sequel (like many including myself agree with) is much better.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 08:19 PM
This was covered by the discussion about how Rob was forced to cram as much into one film as possible, he did the best he could. Although he has gone on record saying that he feels the sequel (like many including myself agree with) is much better.
Atleast the first had a narrative while Part 2 had a bunch of crazy shot thrown at the screen.
Hey I'm 13 minutes into watching Rob Zombie's Halloween the directors cut.

Roswell
08-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Atleast the first had a narrative while Part 2 had a bunch of crazy shot thrown at the screen.

Zombie's H2 has a narrative as well. In fact, it's one of the few Halloween films that's actually ABOUT something other than generic slaughter.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Zombie's H2 has a narrative as well. In fact, it's one of the few Halloween films that's actually ABOUT something other than generic slaughter.

It's about nothing

Roswell
08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
It's about nothing

Great counterpoint! :rolleyes:

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Great counterpoint! :rolleyes:
I'm sorry ive developed a head ache so I cant think straight

benluvin
08-02-2013, 08:58 PM
RZH2 I can't stand. Yea it's original and unique....but I hated it. Like I've said before I hate all of zombies movies except his first Halloween. I guess I'm not a real fan. The only thing it missed was it didn't have a rapper do bad karate on Michael at the end.

My feelings havent changed really. I liked it in 07 when I saw it in theaters and I still like it for what it is, but I don't really count it in the Halloween franchise. The original series are the ones I'll rewatch every year. I'll rewatch the remake maybe once every few years if not longer. And its sequel never again.

Roswell
08-02-2013, 09:04 PM
I guess I'm not a true fan either, cause I think the original series as a whole is rather overrated. I find it kind of silly when people discuss the series as a whole with a weird sort of reverence, as if the shitty moments are somehow forgiven by the fact that, hey, *insert favorite Halloween film here* is pretty good! As much as I respect the original series, it's never going to be a case of the original series versus what came after that as far as I'm concerned.

AquiredTasteMan
08-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Hey C12 what's your thoughts on Dracula 2000.

CJ7
08-03-2013, 06:21 AM
^Don't recall ever seeing that but I have heard of it elsewhere before. But that's discussion for another thread in another section of the board, not here k.

AquiredTasteMan
08-06-2013, 03:14 PM
My almost a hour take on Rob Zombie's Halloween I & II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgYuT4Iyg1M it's a classic

The Cold Reader
08-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Why do you always sound like you're going to cry?

Michael Voorhees
08-06-2013, 03:32 PM
My views on this movie haven't really changed much over these 6 years. I still love it immensely & although it certainly has it's flaws, I still consider it one of the best of the series. It has some great atmosphere, the cast is great, & Michael is badass.

AquiredTasteMan
08-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Why do you always sound like you're going to cry?
You speaking to me?

The Cold Reader
08-06-2013, 04:07 PM
No, I was talking to the other guy that posted a video of himself.

AquiredTasteMan
08-06-2013, 04:15 PM
No, I was talking to the other guy that posted a video of himself.
Sarcasm I like it. But I don't really know why I recently changed the way I talk usally in previous videos.

theoutfieldguy
08-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I actually really liked it when it first was released.Now,I find it hard to sit through.

Stebob1984
10-12-2013, 12:23 PM
When I first saw it, it was the work print version and I hated it from start to finish, I then saw the uncut version much later and my opinion didn't change, all the white trash BS wound me up the wrong way. I hated Daeg who played young Michael, the middle portion of the film in Smith Grove seemed to drag on, be very stupid at times (the nurse insulting his sister, I just don't see that happening) and his escape scene with the raping etc was disgusting. The final part felt like a rushed version of the original without any of the suspense.

Now though my opinion has changed abit, I just watched the theatrical version (which I only bought on DVD cause I wanted to see the cool Myers escape from Smiths Grove scene where he fights all the guards) and I thought it was much better. It was tighter for one, seemed to cut out some of the BS (most notably the nurse insulting his sister and escape rape) and even though I still didn't like the beginning all that much I preferred the middle portion and the last hour. I actually have to take back what I said before about Tyler Mane I thought he was pretty darn good rewatching this. I still feel Zombie lacked abit if real good suspense but his Myers is so brutal that made me tense up at times. Last thing I want to say on the final hour, the mood he captured in this portion was very eerie, I thought it looked great watching it back. It's a shame he changed it so much in the sequel.

All in all I still feel they should never have let Zombie anywhere near this franchise but I do feel the theatrical version of RZ Halloween is worth a watch and better than the work print and directors uncut versions.

Mortimur Grimm
10-13-2013, 11:32 PM
I actually really liked it when it first was released.Now,I find it hard to sit through.

I never liked it. But when I happen to see it, it gets progressively worse and I must turn that nasty turd of a film off. There should be a warning that it will suck the intelligence out of you if you watch it. I feel a little dumber every time I happen to catch a glimpse of it. Worse dialog in a film ever.

FPSer
07-02-2014, 08:21 AM
I've learned to accept it for what it is. But at the time it's release, it was the most disappointing film ever. Now see, when I went in the theater in 2007, I wanted to see ROB ZOMBIE's HALLOWEEN. Insteading, what I got was a big Hollywood remake with an obligatory origin story. (not that there is anything wrong with those) This is anything but a true Rob Zombie film.

Thorni52
07-02-2014, 08:57 AM
I've learned to accept it for what it is. But at the time it's release, it was the most disappointing film ever. Now see, when I went in the theater in 2007, I wanted to see ROB ZOMBIE's HALLOWEEN. Insteading, what I got was a big Hollywood remake with an obligatory origin story. (not that there is anything wrong with those) This is anything but a true Rob Zombie film.

If refreshing to see more and more fans who are disappointed that Rob actually didn't make it his own, opposed to those who didn't want to see changes at all. I fall in the same camp. RZH I hated because I could tell he was restraining himself for some reason. It feels more like a platinum dunes big Hollywood remake of Halloween and less of a Rob Zombie film. That's what disappointed me the most. Luckily, he made RZH2, which was the exact opposite. It's a Zombie film through and through and pretty much the antithesis of a Hollywood horror film. I love it.