PDA

View Full Version : Did Rob get the idea for this name from Halloween 5?

tmlfan4life
06-13-2010, 12:19 PM
For someone who said how bad Halloween 5 was Rob Zombie has taken some ideas from it and used it in his remake. For example I am willing to bet the scene where Michael takes off his mask to show his face to Laurie, he got that idea from the attic scene in Halloween 5. Anway if you notice during the scene where the news reporter was talking about Micahel's trial he mentions the name Judge Masterson, well Masterson was the name of the clinic Jamie was in Halloween 5 and I guess that's another Rob got from it.

Danny Strode
06-13-2010, 12:23 PM
I buy the unmasking scene as a reference moreso than the Masterson reference, but I don't buy either of them enough to warrant that they were both direct or indirect references to H5.

Captain Mal
06-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I'd wager Halloween 5 was nowhere near RZ's thoughts during the making of his Halloween vision.

tmlfan4life
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd wager Halloween 5 was nowhere near RZ's thoughts during the making of his Halloween vision.So you don't think it's weird how out of all names Rob thought of using Masterson, when it was first used in Halloween 5 and not in any of the other movies.

Danny Strode
06-13-2010, 12:31 PM
So you don't think it's weird how out of all names Rob thought of using Masterson, when it was first used in Halloween 5 and not in any of the other movies.

I take it as mere coincidence, personally. There can be a lot of references to anything that you could directly relate to something previous, but that doesn't mean that they are. Friday the 13th is a pretty good example sometimes.

tmlfan4life
06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I take it as mere coincidence, personally. There can be a lot of references to anything that you could directly relate to something previous, but that doesn't mean that they are. Friday the 13th is a pretty good example sometimes.Well I am assuming he at least saw it because to form his opinion and the only way he could think of that name.

Captain Mal
06-13-2010, 12:35 PM
So you don't think it's weird how out of all names Rob thought of using Masterson, when it was first used in Halloween 5 and not in any of the other movies.

I think you're reading too much into it mate. I actually quite enjoy H5 and I watched it a lot growing up :)

RZ does like homages but he makes them obvious, Joe Gizzley for example or PJ Soles in The Devil's Rejects. He just doesn't do subtle. :)

Danny Strode
06-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Well I am assuming he at least saw it because to form his opinion and the only way he could think of that name.

Him being a fan, I'm pretty sure he saw it at one point, ha, ha. I think the only person who could answer the question of the name would be Rob himself, and I bet even he'd be impressed that someone made a connection... intentional or not.

Torgo
06-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Well I am assuming he at least saw it because to form his opinion and the only way he could think of that name.

you realize Masterson is a pretty common name, right?

I'm willing to bet that a good number of writers pull it out of their ass in the midst of quickly writing a script.

I say coincidence, nothing more.

tmlfan4life
06-13-2010, 12:52 PM
you realize Masterson is a pretty common name, right?

I'm willing to bet that a good number of writers pull it out of their ass in the midst of quickly writing a script.

I say coincidence, nothing more.Well I don't know anyone with that name.

Khan
06-13-2010, 12:53 PM
It is probably just a coincidence, but I wouldn't put it past Rob.

Danny Strode
06-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't either, but I also don't think it's as nearly as common as a lot of other names. I mean, Owens is common but I don't see that a whole lot either. Ha, ha.

Pandaz
06-13-2010, 12:56 PM
I doubt Rob even remembers much from Halloween 5, assuming, of course, that he's seen it at some point. I doubt this was even an homage since it would appeal to such a narrow audience, even among Halloween fans. I never made this connection until seeing this thread, and I'm sure many others haven't, either.

EvilOnTwoLegs
06-13-2010, 03:04 PM

You don't think it's more likely that, for such a nothing character (not even an actual character, if you want to get technical), he probably just pulled a name out of his ass, without bothering to check if any of the previous movies had used it as the name of a clinic for mute psychic girls?

Nrious
06-13-2010, 03:23 PM
You don't think it's more likely that, for such a nothing character (not even an actual character, if you want to get technical), he probably just pulled a name out of his ass, without bothering to check if any of the previous movies had used it as the name of a clinic for mute psychic girls?

That's preposterous. Masterson could only possibly be a name made up for Halloween 5 and referenced by Rob Zombie because Halloween 5 is tmlfan4life's favorite part of the series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/photos/stylus/116643-danny_chris_masterson.jpg

EvilOnTwoLegs
06-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Those fuckers stole their last name from H5!

Torgo
06-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Those fuckers stole their last name from H5!

So did Mary Stuart Masterson!

EvilOnTwoLegs
06-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Fuckin' bitch! String 'er up!

80sJEM
12-29-2012, 07:54 AM
I definitely saw an homage to H5 with Michael unmasking the very first time I watched it, and it was then that I thought Rob MISSED HIS CHANCE by not jumping on the teen mom trend and making Laurie Judith's little bastard that Deborah was stuck raising! Then there could've been the uncle/niece thing that would lead into Laurie's visions and psychic link...and Malcolm could've had even MORE classic Loomis lines! Oh, well...
"Let me see?...You're just like me...let me..."

Roswell
12-29-2012, 08:23 AM
I definitely saw an homage to H5 with Michael unmasking the very first time I watched it, and it was then that I thought Rob MISSED HIS CHANCE by not jumping on the teen mom trend and making Laurie Judith's little bastard that Deborah was stuck raising!

Yeah, I'd rather Judith not be Laurie's mom. For all the complaints that Zombie made Michael and his family redneck/the opposite of black trash/etc., that would have just given those people more fuel for the fire.

And if Zombie was paying tribute to anything, it definitely wasn't Halloween 5.