PDA

View Full Version : George A. Romero Plans Back-to-Back 'Dead' Finale

The Frightmaster
05-12-2010, 09:35 AM
News Brief: George A. Romero Plans Back-to-Back 'Dead' Finale

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/20168

By: MrDisgusting

Hinging solely on the success of Survival of the Dead (in theaters May 28 and now on VOD), iconic filmmaker George A. Romero tells Bloody Disgusting's BC exclusively that there is an end in sight for his 42 year zombie franchise. The plan is to film 2 more "Dead" features back-to-back, each focusing on a minor character from Diary of the Dead. Survival of the Dead focuses on Alan Van Sprang's "Sarge 'Nicotine' Crocket", a hard-headed Army vet featured in Diary. Watch for the full interview soon and click here (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/1993) to get all the info on Survival of the Dead, Romero's 6th zombie pic.

wyatt s
05-12-2010, 09:43 AM
...does anybody remember how excited they were when they first heard Romero was making a 4th dead film? The one that eventually became Land of The dead. I do...and now...sadly, I couldn't care any fucking less about anything else Romero does with these zombie films. The excitement just isn't there.

Khan
05-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I have a similar feeling.

These movies don't need to be cranked out like Land Before Time sequels.

Captain Mal
05-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Survival was the nail in the coffin for me. Sure Land was no classic but it was like the fucking Godfather in comparison :(

A Dumb Question
05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
These movies don't need to be cranked out like Land Before Time sequels.
Oh, come on. Everyone knows that part 7 was the best of those sequels.

MMyers89
05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I thought Survival was a huge step up from Diary. I actually dug it quite a bit. I'm still feeling pretty "meh" about this news though. I really just wish he'd go back to practical effects, or just skip most of the gore all together. It's kind of sad when the effects in Day of the Dead from 1985 look leaps and bounds better than anything in Diary or Survival 20+ years later. It is just soooo distracting to me. It takes away from the film, instead of adding to it, which is the opposite of what special effects were for, I thought.

Torgo
05-12-2010, 05:31 PM
...does anybody remember how excited they were when they first heard Romero was making a 4th dead film? The one that eventually became Land of The dead. I do...and now...sadly, I couldn't care any fucking less about anything else Romero does with these zombie films. The excitement just isn't there.

I was thrilled when Land of the Dead was in development. I was really looking forward to it. We had Night, Dawn, and Day up until that point, and to think we were about to see the movie that was following three bona-fide horror classics was very exciting to me. And I remember being so PISSED about the Dawn of the Dead remake that was being made. And then, ironically, I loved the Dawn of the Dead remake and felt Land of the Dead was a big disappointment. But even as mediocre as Land is, it's nowhere near the level of Diary. And now I couldn't care less if I never see Survival. And I couldn't care even MORE less if I never see these last two, especially if they're directly linked to the monstrosity of Diary.

Scarface
05-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Eh. haha.

Rich
05-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I was let down by Diary, but I'll still check out Survival on Blu-Ray. I do think Romero's best work is behind him. Hell, he made Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, and The Crazies. That right there solidifies him as one of the all time great horror film makers in my eyes.

Mr Nighttime
05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
I watched "Survival of the Dead" the other night on PPV. If not for the amazingly bad cgi effects, the comical accents, and the uneven to way off acting....it wasn't too bad. I liked it better than Diary and Land and...*awaits terrible pummeling*...even Day. Yes...I am one of the few who thought Day was dull and terrible.

Sad thing is, even in Diary, Land, and Survival...you can see the old George trying to bust out and make a decent movie with some relevant hints at society. Each of his newer films has nuggets of quality but that is all. It is like eating a meal at a fine restaurant and having a great appetizer but the rest of the meal is microwaveable crap. I think if George would just direct and not have anything to do with the writing, it would pay off. There just isn't enough new things to pique my interest like it used to.

El Rooto
05-24-2010, 06:03 PM
I love Land of the Dead, thought Diary was okay(certainly worth the measly five bucks I paid to buy it), and am dreading Survival.

If he's done with zombies, I figure it's a good thing.

Reobeem
05-25-2010, 06:03 AM
These movies are not true sequels so how can this be a 2 part finale? I'll see it but I'm not expecting anything good.

wyatt s
05-25-2010, 06:15 AM
Because, legitimately, the last couple have been, more or less, true sequels.

samhain2025
05-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Havent seen any thing after land. they were definately ment to be a trillogy.

Scarface
05-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Not really.

Mr. Bruce
05-29-2010, 03:47 AM
I wonder if it's going to the black men from Diary that he is refering too.

mikey1974
05-29-2010, 04:22 PM
i ,like most others,loved his first 3 films....Land was alright,if not perfect (though i got the context of people trying to have a "normal" society in the midst of ultimate horror ) but Diary was shit - indeed,a bit of a reboot,and Survival sucks as well...

hey.Romero! why not go back and finish the original story?!

Twilight of the Dead - the world is 99% overrun , but a group of scientists have found a "cure" , a way to infect the zombies with a virus that kills them off...but,unfortunately,i's too little,too late,and for the amount of time it would take to infect the whole population (not to mention some would be immune) ,it's wholly ineffective...

World of the Dead - the last survivors on the planet try to stave off their impending extinction...but the inevitable comes,as you have 50 living people vs a world full of billions of dead zombies...and as the end comes near,there's evidence of,in desperation of no living tissue to feed off of,Zombies starting to cannibalize each other...it would end with the last living human being ripped apart and eaten.leaving behind a World of the Dead,where the zombies will eat each other til there's literally no human forms left on the planet...

Silverpsycho
06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
My personal opinion is that this idea has "mistake" written all over it. I want Romero going out with a bang but it's far too late for that.

Without having seen Survival of the Dead yet, I can't really speak for what is to come. Wow though, I thought Land wasn't all that great until I saw Diary. I just wish he would stop digging himself deeper and deeper.