PDA

View Full Version : Zombieland

haddonfieldfan
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Has anyone seen this yet, I see it came out a week earlier in the US than over here in the UK, looks like an entertaining comedy/horror and is on my to see list! Any thoughts/reviews? No spoilers please.

SLAB
10-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Saw it last week, and if you can't have a blast watching it then you are truly dead inside and we have nothing more to say to each other. :p ;)

So, I guess I thought it was great. :D

Bearscubsfan87
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM
This movie looks really good. I probably will have to wait for this to be released to the public.

storyteller
10-12-2009, 10:41 AM
It was almost perfection, ha. My favorite part involves the mansion and the events leading up to the Germ-X. I think I died on the inside from the laughter.

Captain Mal
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Saw it LOVED IT.

tripprivers
10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
was really suprised by how much I enjoyed this film. Just so much fun - definitely don't miss it. Take a bunch of friends and have a ball....just hope that none of em have a phobia of clowns (that bathroom scene kinda scared me).

Pug-a-Licious
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
I REALLY enjoyed it. Can't wait to buy it on dvd so I can rewatch it a few times.

MichaelMyers
10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
This is a must see Zombie comedy and like others have said the mansion scenes are priceless. I can't wait for this to come out on dvd. I could definitely see a sequel being made. I don't know if they could match the cameo in this one though.

Scarface
10-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Fantastic film. I had so much fun with this.

"Do you have any regrets?"
"Garfield, maybe."

Bill fucking Murray was easily the best part of this, haha. I love when Woody asks him he think he's going to pull through, and Bill slowly looks towards Columbus with that accusing look and says "No." haha, I laughed so hard.

tha shape
10-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Fantastic film. I had so much fun with this.

"Do you have any regrets?"
"Garfield, maybe."

Bill fucking Murray was easily the best part of this, haha. I love when Woody asks him he think he's going to pull through, and Bill slowly looks towards Columbus with that accusing look and says "No." haha, I laughed so hard.

Haha, yeah dude that shit was great!

Silverpsycho
10-15-2009, 11:57 PM
I honestly was not expecting much of this film and when I first heard about it, I really had no desire to go out and see it. However it ended up being a welcomed surprise. It's extremely entertaining and held my attention throughout.

My main cons:
running zombies

My main pro:
Bill Murray...and I think that goes for everyone

As I said in my review, this feels like Dawn of the Dead (2004) meets National Lampoon's Vacation...and toss in a little of Max Brooks's awesome Zombie Survival Guide and voila...Zombieland. To me it's nothing like Shaun of the Dead (it isn't a Romero parody, doesn't have slow zombies, and introduces its audience to fresh material) but I appreciated it for being a humorous take on a zombie apocalypse. I ended up giving it an A- because while I loved it, it could have been slightly better here and there. I can't wait to pick it up once it's available to own. :zom1:

HalloweeN63
10-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Fun and entertaining movie. The zombies looked pretty good and the movie actually made me laugh. Not to mention, the fucking movie opens with METALLICA! AHHH!!! I creamed my pants when I heard it.

Definitely a movie I can watch a few times over. When I own this, it's going to be a beerfest.

halo thirty one
10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Fun and entertaining movie. The zombies looked pretty good and the movie actually made me laugh. Not to mention, the fucking movie opens with METALLICA! AHHH!!! I creamed my pants when I heard it.

Definitely a movie I can watch a few times over. When I own this, it's going to be a beerfest.
Hahaha! I thought you'd like the opening credits. I have seen it twice and can't wait for the dvd to come out so I can have a double feature with Shaun of the Dead.

EyesOfDarkness
10-18-2009, 07:55 AM
I loved it, I can't wait for the blu-ray release.

I do wish it was a bit longer, but what can you do right? it was paced accordingly .

Silverpsycho
10-18-2009, 08:01 AM
This and Paranormal Activity were both completely sold out for all the nighttime showings. Nice to know that this October is really delivering some great horror.

Dingo
10-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Have seen it twice now and it was even better 2nd time. Great fun and the predictability of it took nothing away from the fun. Best. Cameo. Ever.

Mr. Bruce
10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Saw it opening night and it's the best Zombie movie made since the original Dawn of the Dead.

Last sunday it became the best selling Zombie movie in North/South America too.

HalloweeN63
10-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Hahaha! I thought you'd like the opening credits. I have seen it twice and can't wait for the dvd to come out so I can have a double feature with Shaun of the Dead.

Yeah dude. hahaha I had what you said in the back of my mind about liking the opening. I was expecting to see Woody driving an 18 wheeler or something, but nope! Metallica. :D

ten31
10-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Wasn't a big fan of the flick. The only scenes I really dug where the BM scenes. The rest of the flick was just average.

ILoveChiaPetsXD
12-05-2009, 10:45 AM
You know you're in for something fucking amazing when the film starts off with For Whom The Bell Tolls.

http://i48.tinypic.com/167jrqg.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2epoxsg.jpg

theshape09
12-05-2009, 12:28 PM
the movie was awesome i saw it today :D

SuperDave
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I thought it was great. Loved it. The question is, is it better than Sean of the Dead, or not quite as good? Or are they apples and oranges? I'm inclined to say the latter; I rather think they were different enough so that you can't really compare the two in that fashion. Both are fantastic ZomComs. I'm very happy that we'll be getting to spend some more time in that universe.

My main cons:
running zombies

Of course, that's because the "zombies," weren't truly undead. They were infected, like 28 Days Later. In that light, I didn't have a problem with it.

Silverpsycho
12-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I thought it was great. Loved it. The question is, is it better than Sean of the Dead, or not quite as good? Or are they apples and oranges? I'm inclined to say the latter; I rather think they were different enough so that you can't really compare the two in that fashion. Both are fantastic ZomComs. I'm very happy that we'll be getting to spend some more time in that universe.

Of course, that's because the "zombies," weren't truly undead. They were infected, like 28 Days Later. In that light, I didn't have a problem with it.
In a movie titled "Zombieland," said creatures are expected to be "zombies" and zombies are undead. I don't believe every said being was only infected. I have never been a fan of sprinting zombies but the minor con works for this film, as there's so much to praise. Seriously though, Simon Pegg said it best in his 2004 afterword found in a volume of The Walking Dead (every zombie fan should own these)and while I won't retype the excerpt, it basically alludes to the fact Zombies should NEVER run. Sure, infected people could, so maybe this should have been dubbed "Infectedland"? hahaha

Also here is the very definition for the term zombie:

Main Entry: zom·bie
Variant(s): also zom·bi \ˈzäm-bē\
Function: noun
Etymology: Louisiana Creole or Haitian Creole zonbi, of Bantu origin; akin to Kimbundu nzúmbe ghost
Date: circa 1871

1 usually zombi a : the supernatural power that according to voodoo belief may enter into and reanimate a dead body b : a will-less and speechless human in the West Indies capable only of automatic movement who is held to have died and been supernaturally reanimated
2 a : a person held to resemble the so-called walking dead; especially : automaton b : a person markedly strange in appearance or behavior
3 : a mixed drink made of several kinds of rum, liqueur, and fruit juice

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zombie

Torgo
02-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Finally a horror related movie that I enjoyed. I was beginning to think that horror wasn't for me anymore.

While it's not in the league of Shaun of the Dead, there is still a lot of funny stuff. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did when it started as I'm pretty sick of zombies at the moment, but once I got into the characters I started to really like it.

zombie commando
02-18-2010, 05:54 AM
I'm growing tired of zombie comedies, they seem pretty played out and they'll never top Return of the Living Dead....ever.....so what's the point? The whole concept seems incredibly lazy to me, so despite finding this film entertaining I doubt I'll give it too many spins.

Roswell
02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm growing tired of zombie comedies, they seem pretty played out and they'll never top Return of the Living Dead....ever.....so what's the point? The whole concept seems incredibly lazy to me, so despite finding this film entertaining I doubt I'll give it too many spins.

That's like saying "Slasher films will never top Psycho or Halloween, so what's the point of making them?" The point isn't necessarily to TOP another film. It's to make something worth watching and enjoying, and I think in that way, Zombieland was pretty successful.

TheThirdHalf
02-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Three words that made me laugh so hard my eyes watered;

"That'll do pig"

zombie commando
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
That's like saying "Slasher films will never top Psycho or Halloween, so what's the point of making them?" The point isn't necessarily to TOP another film. It's to make something worth watching and enjoying, and I think in that way, Zombieland was pretty successful.

I really don't expect every film to top another of the same genre and I see these kind of films as being more specialized than slasher films; which is a phrase (slasher movie) that could encompass all kinds of different movies of that genre. If I had said "slasher comedy" it'd be a different story, a little bit more specific than merely a slasher, and if they were pumping slasher comedies into the market like they are zombie comedies I'd be complaining about the lack of serious slasher films.

It gets old is all I'm saying; and the zombie comedy market seems supersaturated in the last few years. I'm pretty much sick of all horror comedies, period.

I personally don't see a point in seeking out these films when I'm perfectly content with Return of the Living Dead. Now....don't you want to PARTYYYYYYYY!!!!!?

Because....like......it's party time.

heavymetal
02-19-2010, 08:57 AM
I just love the...

"You want to feel how hard I can punch?"

And the car door bits are hilarious.

Brimstone
02-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I saw this last weekend.It was okay but I didn't find it anywhere near as good as I kept hearing people make it out to be.

Roswell
02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I might get hell for saying this, but I'd make a comparison between Zombieland and the original Dawn Of The Dead (beyond the obvious, of course).

If you think about it, both are stories about people who get caught up with material things and forget about actually enjoying life. The group in Dawn Of The Dead is focused on continually moving so as to avoid the zombies, but once they get into the mall, they forget all about it and succumb to the charms of, for lack of a better word, "stuff".

Zombieland kind of works in the same way. The characters become so focused on such trivial "stuff" that they forget about finding "stuff" that actually matters, such as relationships and general happiness.

That's not to say that Zombieland is as good a film as Dawn Of The Dead (or as smart), but I don't think it's just another brainless zombie comedy.

Diamond Wings
03-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Great film. Glad I finally saw it. My favorite part seems to be what the majority has stated. I also loved the scene on the ejector ride. Great mix of comedy and suspense. :)

captainoneliner
08-18-2010, 11:06 AM
I just now got around to seeing this, only because I canceled my cable and decided to try out netflix. Really solid, swank stuff.. I've been wanting to watch it for a while, but it exceeded my expectations, which surprised me.

I already knew about the cameo, I just had no idea how all that played out so it was pretty amusing.. even though I guess what the end result was going to be shortly after his appearance.

I'll def. be checking this one again.

SuperDave
08-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I canceled my cable and decided to try out netflix.

I did the same thing, only w/ Blockbuster, as I don't have a Netflix-ready device.

Scarface
08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Netflix is the way to go. I actually use my Wii more for Netflix than I do actually playing games. haha.

And yeah, Zombieland is a great film. Makes for a great double-feature with Shaun of the Dead.

SuperDave
08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Netflix is the way to go. I actually use my Wii more for Netflix than I do actually playing games. haha.

Well, hopefully we'll get something for Christmas (either a Wii or a Blu-Ray player) that's Netflix-ready, and maybe we can switch over. I only wish I could use one device to watch stuff in both the living room and the bedroom.

Rich
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I got three words for you: "Bill F'n Murry!"

Mr. Bruce
09-07-2010, 07:38 PM
MTV caught up with Reuben Fleischer on the set of 30 Minutes or Less, his follow-up to the $75.6 million-grossing Zombieland where he revealed a pretty heft load about Zombieland 2, his 3-D post-apocalyptic zombie sequel to the horror comedy that will (probably) see the return of stars Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin and Jesse Eisenberg. He not only confirms that the 3-D will be shot on camera, but he also has a lot to say about the sequel's direction: "it jumps all over the place." Details inside.

Fleischer confirmed he'll shoot the sequel with 3-D cameras, rather than use a controversial post-production process. "When it comes to 3-D, I feel pretty strongly that you should shoot it in camera," he told MTV. "I feel like it just looks so much better. If you're going to make a 3-D movie, go ahead and make a 3-D movie. I would definitely, if we do 'Zombieland 2,' make it in 3-D and want to shoot it in 3-D."

He also reveals that writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are currently at work on the script, and Fleischer said they're exploring multiple scenarios, from a plot that picks up shortly after the conclusion of the first film to one that begins further into the future. Regardless, though, "Zombieland 2" will likely explore pre-zombie days as well.

"One of the fun things about 'Zombieland' is it jumps all over the place in terms of the storyline," Fleischer said. "It'll go to before zombies to after zombies and all around those worlds. What's fun about the sequel is we have freedom and flexibility to show different periods. We might have scenes before the zombies, or we might have some months after, or potentially stuff further down the road. Through the voice-over and the way the movie is structured, we can really explore all different sides of it."

More info soon as Columbia Pictures hopes to lock a cast and begin shooting later this year for a potential 2011 release.

Blood&Guts
09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Thumbs down! I was looking forward to a continuation of the first film. Booo 3D!!!

Mr. Bruce
09-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Thumbs down! I was looking forward to a continuation of the first film. Booo 3D!!!

Atleast it's REAL 3-D... And not this fake shit.

Astro_Creep
09-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Overrated. I really liked the scenes when it was just Harrelson and Eisenberg toward the beginning, but when they met up with Emma Stone it went downhill from there. Also, there wasn't enough "zombie action".

I don't think it needs a sequel.

MichaelMyers
09-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I wasn't too fond of either of the sisters. They actually had me rooting for them to die.

El Rooto
09-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I liked it, but I too thought it was overrated.

And Wichita and Little Rock deserved to die for their stupidity.

Khan
09-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I finally got around to watching it and loved it.

It is comparable in quality and enjoyment to Shaun Of The Dead.

Frazetta
09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
I finally got around to watching it and loved it.

It is comparable in quality and enjoyment to Shaun Of The Dead.I didn't really care for Shaun of the Dead so needless to say I think Zombieland blows it away.

benluvin
09-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I didn't really care for Shaun of the Dead so needless to say I think Zombieland blows it away.

Agreed, I thought Shaun of the dead was kind of lame, but I think Zombieland kicks ass.

ScottyBowles
07-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead (no pun intended), but I have just finished watching Zombieland and I have got to say that is one of the most fun films that I have ever watched. Not only that, I feel it was well-made. It's funny, but it has a bit of a heart underneath it. And the cast - wow, the cast - was amazing in this film. What a terrific ensemble they put together. If I had only one gripe, I just wish it had been a bit longer. It moves really fast and I wanted to see more explored with this world.

They should make a sequel to this. It would be very successful because the first film has only gained more fans since its release on DVD/Blu-ray.

ClassOf78
07-19-2012, 08:54 AM
I remember seeing this in theaters back in October of 09 and I loved it. I've seen it twice since then and it's just as entertaining for me as it was when I first saw it.

Thorni52
07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I enjoyed this film too, but It's not one of my favorites. I'm a big fan of Jessie Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson, but the movie only managed to be amusing to me. Funny overall, but I'm not sure where all the love for it comes from... It was kinda average.

The Saw
07-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I enjoyed this film too, but It's not one of my favorites. I'm a big fan of Jessie Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson, but the movie only managed to be amusing to me. Funny overall, but I'm not sure where all the love for it comes from... It was kinda average.

This. My cousins were like "That movie was HILARIOUS!" and I was like "it's alright."

blacksymbiote
12-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I liked Zombieland, it was pretty funny, but I don't think it's as great as Shaun of the Dead is. Some of the stuff in Zombieland didn't amuse me quite so much.

SAW'ed OFF
09-18-2013, 11:58 AM
"1997 was a good year, i watched my first R rated movie, Anaconda."

took me until a couple days ago to figure out that line is STUPID AS FUCK.

who the hell wrote that? stupid motherfucker.

Mortimur Grimm
09-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Zombieland was great! That was horror-comedy at it's best. If you don't own it, you should.

I don't know if the series is still on, but I hope not. If they were to do a series, they should introduce a completely different cast of characters. I'd love to see a follow-up film with those characters, only if the same actors can make it back. There was some great chemistry there with them.

MichaelMyers85
10-29-2013, 11:03 AM
I have not cried like that since Titanic, best line in the film

Awesome film, takes me back to some huge films that came out that year, overall well worth watching over and over, I have watched this film 15 times this month, its just a great fun time

zombie commando
02-25-2014, 03:44 AM
I agree I just re-watched it over the weekend, still find it funny. Still can't believe they got Bill Murray in it, even if they were originally going for Patrick Swayze.

Chuck D
02-25-2014, 07:53 AM
I agree I just re-watched it over the weekend, still find it funny. Still can't believe they got Bill Murray in it, even if they were originally going for Patrick Swaze.

Murray's appearance left me slack-jawed when I first saw it in the cinema. Couldn't tell you the last time that happened.