PDA

View Full Version : Night of the Living Dead: Origins

The Frightmaster
09-16-2009, 06:22 PM
'Night of the Living Dead' Origin Story Told in 3D CGI

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17391

By: MrDisgusting

Zombie movie Night of the Living Dead is coming back, this time in a 3D CGI format and without the involvement of George Romero (the film is public domain). Titled Night of the Living Dead: Origins, the re-imagining is being directed by newcomer Zebediah de Soto (who has done some incredible trailer work for BD, Dread Central, Screamfest and the now extinct Horror Channel) and produced by Simon West and Simon West Productions president Jib Polhemus. You can get the full skinny on this project below (along with a look at his work), but let me tell you from my own personal experience, Zebediah de Soto is going to knock this one out of the park - and that's a guarantee.

On the story front, De Soto, who wrote the script with David R. Schwartz, wants to update the tale partially by bringing out the characters’ backstories and make what he called “an American-style anime.”

The latter will be done by using new technology the filmmaker is inventing. De Soto, along with partner Gus Malliarodaki founded New Golden Digital, a digital effects company which develops cutting-edge hardware and software.

The duo created and designed a real-time effects system, known as 'The Beast', which allows filmmakers the ability to direct CG performances the same way they would direct real live actors. The aim of the process is to make tennis balls on a stick representing real people or monsters a thing of the past by allowing actors interact with CG elements as if they are tangible.

Matty Miranda and Anthony Le are executive producing. George Passakos is co-executive producing while Warren Davis and Tiffany Shinn acts as associate producers.

De Soto, who has no agent or manager, directed a short titled “War Dogs” – sort of Vietnam War set in space - that made the rounds in Hollywood late last year. West (the director of movies such as "Con Air," "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider," and the upcoming TV show "Human Target") and Polhemus were impressed at how the short manage to look like the production had a higher budget than it actually did, and began looking for a project to partner on.

De Soto was a fan of the original “Living Dead” and once the trio realized the rights were in the public domain, zeroed in on that project

Khan
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Public domain really sucks sometimes.

wyatt s
09-16-2009, 06:29 PM
No kidding. Hasn't Night of The Living Dead been screwed into the ground enough over the years? I mean can't we just let it be?...I guess as long as there's money to be made...

Black Sunshine
09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
public suck my manhood!!

Scarface
09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I think it could be cool, visually. I'll see it. Anything is going to be better than NOTLD 3D. God, what a piece of shit nightmare that was.

wyatt s
09-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I think it could be cool, visually. I'll see it. Anything is going to be better than NOTLD 3D. God, what a piece of shit nightmare that was.

That's the different between you and me I guess, haha. You see something bad and think nothing can get any worse. I see something bad and just assume it's the new standard the other shit has to live up to and surpass :p

Scarface
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Well, I just like the idea of an animated CGI film with zombies.

wyatt s
09-16-2009, 06:55 PM
If I wanted that I'd just go ahead and play my copy of Resident Evil. I'm sure that'll be a shit load more entertaining anyway. But yeah, that's all I have to say about the whole thing. It's gonna get made and no amount of bitching is gonna stop that, so why bother

Scarface
09-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Interesting news. According to Danielle Harris's twitter (http://twitter.com/halloweengal), she's auditioning for this film.

EvilOnTwoLegs
09-16-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm not one to bash potential remakes, but remaking a film for the third time does seem to be pushing it a bit. haha Shame they couldn't have stopped after NotLD '90, which was actually a really good remake.

Zombie
09-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm not one to bash potential remakes, but remaking a film for the third time does seem to be pushing it a bit. haha Shame they couldn't have stopped after NotLD '90, which was actually a really good remake.

Understatement.

Probably one of the best remakes ever.

Silverpsycho
09-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm intrigued by this news since I'm into the whole animation approach. However this sounds better on paper than it may actually turn out. I'll hope for the best but won't be surprised if it turns out to be total crap. I really like the idea of animation since it offers a lot of freedom with many things and if done correctly, it could be a fun ride so I'll hope for just that.

Bearscubsfan87
09-21-2009, 08:02 AM

Yes, the 1990 remake is quite good. In fact, depending on my mood, I sometimes prefer it to the original.

I haven't seen the last remake, but with the CGI thing at least there will something a little different.

Diamond Wings
09-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Not interested- think I'll go watch the original now.

Mr Nighttime
09-24-2009, 08:41 PM
I think I am going to much prefer The Walking Dead on AMC when it comes out to any more NOTLD remakes.

MischievousSpirit
09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
So I hear Danielle Harris is in this. Wow.

ten31
09-25-2009, 05:20 PM

She's Barbara

Scarface
09-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Can't say that makes me want to see this any more. I'll wait for a trailer. I like the idea of a zombie movie being animated with CG...but I don't like that it's another NOTLD retread. It will probably blow chunks, haha.

Danny Strode
09-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Guess who's going to be a fan? :D

Khan
09-25-2009, 05:59 PM
People will dismiss the landmark original because of it too.

MischievousSpirit
09-25-2009, 06:05 PM

Pssh. Nothing beats the original NOTLD black and white movie. Nothing!

Scarface
09-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm not going to mention names... but I have a damn good feeling who I think is going to say they like it better than the original. Hint: It's not Real Fine Place, haha.

Khan
09-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Pssh. Nothing beats the original NOTLD black and white movie. Nothing!

I completely agree Joe, but some less appreciative people won't agree.

I'm not going to mention names... but I have a damn good feeling who I think is going to say they like it better than the original. Hint: It's not Real Fine Place, haha.

I have an idea. :D

Danny Strode
09-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Well, I have a lot of catching up to do because I've not seen any of them.

Khan
09-25-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfShkumjeq8

Here is the whole film on YouTube, and it is perfectly legal I might add.

Danny Strode
09-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the link, man!

And I hope you'll understand where I'll fall in terms of everything. ;)

Khan
09-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Given your avatar, I don't expect you to pick the original version. ;)

Danny Strode
09-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Given your avatar, I don't expect you to pick the original version. ;)

Ha, ha. Asshole. I've been known to make surprising decisions. ;)

Zombie
09-25-2009, 11:47 PM
I completely agree Joe, but some less appreciative people won't agree.

I have an idea. :D

Jason Myers?

EvilOnTwoLegs
09-26-2009, 12:09 AM
The original is pretty much untouchable. It was made in '68, and has the kind of rebellious, satirical edge to it that was everywhere at the time, and pretty much completely alien to American films of this generation.

The '90 remake was good, and it was nice to see some of the changes they made. It didn't quite have the heavy impact of the original, but as an expansion of the original's very minimalist plot, it was a nice companion piece.

Anything beyond that is pretty much a waste, in my opinion. I'll watch this just to see what a CG zombie flick looks like...but I won't expect much from it. As I said earlier in the thread, three remakes is pushing it a bit.

Scarface
09-26-2009, 12:17 AM
Jason Myers?

Haha.

spindrift68
09-26-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm cool with this. An entire new film sounds much better than another re-editing of Romero's masterpiece.

The Frightmaster
09-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Danielle Harris Cast in Night of the Living Dead

http://shocktilyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=11986

Source:Ryan Rotten, Managing Editor September 25, 2009

2009. Not a bad year for Danielle Harris who spent an early part of it being stalked by Michael Myers again for Halloween II, then wandered through the vampire-riddled Stake Land. Next up, she's taking on zombies in Night of the Living Dead: Origins.

The actress revealed what role she's playing via her Twitter account yesterday: "All you're good luck wishes worked! Guess who's gonna be Barbara?!"

Origins is a 3-D, CGI spin-off of the George A. Romero classic. Director Zebediah de Soto is delving in the backgrounds of the characters we know so well. When a Stranger Calls' Simon West and Jib Polhemus are producing.

Danny Strode
09-26-2009, 08:39 AM
That's old news, dick.

But regardless: :D

Scarface
09-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Too bad it'll be just her voice. I'm still damn curious to see how a CG animated zombie flick holds up. That's really the only reason I am interested in this project to begin with. I think 3D works very well for animated stuff, so that should be good as well.

Danny Strode
09-26-2009, 09:17 AM
CG? Oh, boy. Do I feel like an ass.

Scarface
09-26-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm assuming you failed to read:

Origins is a 3-D, CGI spin-off of the George A. Romero classic.

Danny Strode
09-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Failed is an understatement. ;)

Scarface
09-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Phew. At least you were man enough to say it and I didn't have to.

EvilOnTwoLegs
09-26-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm cool with this. An entire new film sounds much better than another re-editing of Romero's masterpiece.

Well, there's only been one re-editing of the original (still one time too many, but hey)...there have already been TWO remakes. What's the point of a third?

The Frightmaster
09-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Well, there's only been one re-editing of the original (still one time too many, but hey)...there have already been TWO remakes. What's the point of a third?

Really? I know of the one Tom Savini did in 1990, but when was the other remake made?

Scarface
09-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Night of the Living Dead 3D came out a couple years ago. It has Sid Haig in it. God awful mess. Avoid it. Trust me. Stick with the Savini one and pretend it's the only remake of the film.

The Frightmaster
09-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Night of the Living Dead 3D came out a couple years ago. It has Sid Haig in it. God awful mess. Avoid it. Trust me. Stick with the Savini one and pretend it's the only remake of the film.

Oh yeah I've heard of that. My parents watched it and said it was horrible. I thought that it was the third installment/2nd sequel to Tom Savini's remake. I didn't know that it was a remake itself.

Noctir
09-29-2009, 07:48 PM

Yeah, that was one remake that I agreed with. Otherwise, these movies need to be left alone.

EvilOnTwoLegs
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, that was one remake that I agreed with. Otherwise, these movies need to be left alone.

I thought the Dawn remake was great. Took the basic premise of the original and did its own thing with it. It was entertaining as hell. I dig some of the horror remakes...but remaking a movie three times is just silly, in my opinion. Especially when the last remake was only, what...three years ago?

SuperDave
10-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=12107

Caught in the confused chaos of the Los Angeles riots of the early '90s, a young Zebediah de Soto witnessed first-hand smoke-filled skies and people in the throes of panic. For his largest endeavor yet, a 3-D CGI Night of the Living Dead film subtitled "Origins," co written by David Schwartz and produced by Simon West Productions, De Soto wants to take those riot images etched into his brain and translate them to the screen. Adding in a horde of ravenous zombies, of course.

"I want to see a helicopter clipping its propeller on a building and careening into a crowd of people. Zombies going through the streets. A thousand people tearing each other apart, zombies tearing them apart, total chaos," De Soto expresses with an air of enthusiasm that is fighting off waves of fatigue from working all night. But wait, helicopters, explosions, and a sea of zombies - this sort of contradicts George A. Romero's original vision put on screen in '68, doesn't it? You bet. De Soto is bringing, to the Dead universe a sense of scope that, he says, has never been seen before in the zombie genre.

"One of the first horror films I owned was Night of the Living Dead, it made a huge impression on me," he explains of the impetus driving the project. "There are all of these interesting little back stories in terms of the other characters, but we only got to follow Barbara in the original. They were always describing these really big scenes, like Ben says a truck is chased down by a horde of zombies. I always wished I could have seen that."

De Soto describes Night of the Living Dead: Origins as an expansion of the original film. A chance to see moments in the undead uprising that were only alluded to, while tapping into the back stories of the main character who have been familiar to us for over 30 decades.

"It's not a prequel," he maintains. "I loved Romero's movie and there are so many people out there raping it to death, I didn't want to be next in line to the gang bang. But I really wanted to do something that was a little creative but an homage to what he was doing. I want to see a zombie movie on the scale of [the Max Brooks novel] World War Z and the only thing I changed in terms of the terrain is that we go into New York City. This is a post-9/11 world we live in and how would people react to this if it really happened? How would they respond? For me, one of the things missing from zombie films is effects done on a level no one has ever seen before like Spider-Man or The Hulk. Those effects applied to a zombie film."

All environments and characters will be created in CG via De Soto and Gus Malliarodakis' New Golden Digital. Asked if he was going for the same motion capture feel of Robert Zemeckis' latest works (Beowulf, A Christmas Carol), De Soto says we're on the right track, however, "it lends itself more to the movie 9 in that I want this to look like a living painting. The only thing that ever came close to that idea is Zack Snyder's 300 but this is a bit more stylized than that. I originally came from comic books and I was a graphic artist for nine or ten years. I always wanted to see something like this."

On the casting front, it appears he has locked Danielle Harris to star as Barbara. For the role of Ben, De Soto has gone out to Mos Def (Be Kind Rewind). "I loved his performance in Monster's Ball he's great in that. His people responded, expressed interest and we sent some numbers to them. We'll see."

Night of the Living Dead: Origins is currently in production with a 2010 release date in mind. Zombie fans will want to keep their eyes peeled to the web as De Soto revealed he wants to unveil a teaser trailer this Halloween. "I know so many people get pissed off about this movie being redone again, but it's not the same regurgitated bullshit. We're taking this seriously."

Sounds pretty cool, actually. My interest level just went up.

wyatt s
10-03-2009, 08:20 AM
A chance to see moments in the undead uprising that were only alluded to, while tapping into the back stories of the main character who have been familiar to us for over 30 decades.

So, uh, night of the living dead is over 300 years old huh? :bastard:

EvilOnTwoLegs
10-03-2009, 11:13 AM
So, uh, night of the living dead is over 300 years old huh? :bastard:

Held up pretty well, hasn't it?

wyatt s
10-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Considering he's got a new movie coming out soonish, so has Romero.

The Frightmaster
10-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Interview with 'Night of the Living Dead: Origins' Director, More Casting!

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17617

In our exclusive interview with director Zeb de Soto, he reveals that Joseph Pilato (Captain Rhodes from Day of the Dead) has been cast as Cooper in his 3D feature Night of the Living Dead: Origins. In addition, starring alongside Danielle Harris as Barbara are Mike Diskint as Tom and Alona Tal ("Supernatural" ) as Helen Cooper. You can read our exclusive chat by clicking here (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/interview/602), which includes your first ever look at the film, along with more details on the plot (I know you've had a ton of questions). De Soto, who wrote the script with David R. Schwartz, wants to update the tale partially by bringing out the characters’ backstories and make what he called “an American-style anime.”

SuperDave
10-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Holy cow! That director really is an arrogant SOB, isn't he? :laugh:

Khan
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Calling James Cameron's Avatar a Model T to his Ferrari is certialy amusing.

Scarface
10-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Fuck, he pulled that "true fan" shit too, haha.

Khan
10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
It isn't like this movie is going to be anything special or legendary.

It is just another way to exploit NOTLD's public domain status.

storyteller
10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
NOLD is Public Domain? I did not know that, time to go make a good zombie film...

Khan
10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
It has been for decades.

The original theatrical distributor forgot to put a copyright indication on the prints.

The Frightmaster
11-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Bill Moseley and Mos Def Join 'Night of the Living Dead: Origins 3D' Cast

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18156

Earlier this morning Bloody Disgusting's Johnne Marrone took a trip to the set of Jim Mickle's (Mulberry Street) now filming Stake Land, a new vampire pic that looks quite extraordinary. During the visit, Marrone had a chance to chat with star Danielle Harris who revealed to BD that both Mos Def and Bill Moseley have joined the voice cast of Zeb de Soto's Night of the Living Dead: Origins 3D. Moseley will be playing Johnny, the same role he took on in Tom Savini's 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. Joseph Pilato, Mike Diskint and Helen Cooper also star. On the story front, De Soto, who wrote the script with David R. Schwartz, wants to update the tale partially by bringing out the characters’ backstories and make what he called “an American-style anime.”

SuperDave
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
That's pretty cool...

Torgo
11-20-2009, 02:26 PM
It has been for decades.

30 decades, in fact.

El Rooto
11-20-2009, 02:35 PM
30 decades? That film is older than I thought.

The Frightmaster
12-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Full Casting Announced for 'Night of the Living Dead: Origins'

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18254

The cast is filling up for Zebediah de Soto's Night of the Living Dead: Origins as the Hollywood Reporter announced that Jesse Corti, Danielle Harris, Bill Moseley, Joe Pilato, Alona Tal and Cornell Womack are lending their voices to the 3D prequel of George A. Romero's groundbreaking zombie film from 1968. You can read more about the project and about each star's character details by reading on.

The 3D CGI re-imagining of the George A. Romero zombie classic being directed by newcomer Zebediah de Soto. Simon West and Simon West Prods. president Jib Polhemus are producing.

The story again follows a group of humans trying to stay alive during a zombie attack.

Corti ("Heroes") is voicing a news reporter, and Harris ("Halloween II") plays a woman who held her family together forced to come to grips with its absence.

Moseley ("Carnivale") is reprising the role he portrayed in a 1990 live-action remake "Living Dead": a Wall Street-type with an expense account attitude.

Pilato, who appeared in 1978's "Dawn of the Dead," is voicing Harry Cooper, a blue-collar worker who lives for his injured daughter, and Tal ("Supernatural") voices his wife, Helen, who blames her husband for all the ills of the world.

Womack ("Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen") is a no-nonsense New York cop.

The movie is being animated with the voicework in the early stages

De Soto said some of the casting is "a nod to Romero fans. Horror is a genre and zombie movies are a subgenre that people have been following for years and years."

De Soto, whose background is in the commercials world, said he grew up in a household where his mother forbade him to watch television, fearing it would lead to smoking and drinking. When he finally saw his first horror movie, Romero's "Night of the Living Dead," it made such an impression on him that it created an obsession.

"When you're not allowed to watch TV and then you see this movie where this broadcaster speaks about this (zombie) disaster, it translated as so real to me," he said.

De Soto also said nearly all zombie movies end up in an enclosed environment, be it a house or a mall, and he aims to change that. He's counting on the CGI technology that he and his New Golden Digital effects company is developing.

"I wanted to make this look like a living Monet; it's expressionism," De Soto said. "It's going to be the first zombie movie played on a epic scale. This is the 'Empire of the Sun' of zombie films. ... I lived through the L.A. riots and saw the city on fire; I remember seeing people running, people getting pulled out of cars. And with 9/11, these images have been ingrained on people of my generation. I just thought that is the way it would really be, a lot of chaos."

The Frightmaster
02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Awesome First Look at 'Night of the Living Dead: Origins'

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/

Of all the films in production, the one I might be most excited for is Zebediah de Soto's Night of the Living Dead: Origins, a new animated 3D feature starring Tony Todd, Jesse Corti, Danielle Harris, Bill Moseley, Joe Pilato, Alona Tal and Cornell Womack. Zeb has impressed me off the scale in previous years and I'm quite sure whatever he puts out will be quite simply stunning. Beyond the break you'll find your first ever look at Tony Todd as Ben from the film that once again follows a group of humans trying to stay alive during a zombie attack.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8402/todd0211101.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/i/todd0211101.jpg/)

MM2DYLAN
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Wasn't Mos Def announced to be Ben a while back?

Either way, great news. I love Tony, and it'll be cool to see him as Ben again, albeit in animated form.