PDA

View Full Version : Help get The Video Dead released onto DVD!

Chomp_on_this
08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
We need to help this guy in his pursuit to get this movie onto DVD. If Troll 2 and Night of the Creeps can make it, than damnmit, this can too.

Help this guy out!

THE VIDEO DEAD COMING TO DVD!!!

Well, yes and no.

MGM owns the rights to the film, and it's being considered for a DVD release as of now.

Last week, I discovered that Televista was reportedly releasing THE VIDEO DEAD on DVD in October. Naturally being a huge fan of the film I was excited and wanted to pick it up as soon as it came out. Unfortunately, I found out the version they were releasing was nothing more than a video to DVD dupe and was not an official release.

Well after speaking with MGM's legal department, the DVD release has supposedly been canceled - although Amazon still has it listed on their site - and there may or may not be plans to release the film legitimately on DVD.

So I've spoken with Kim Hoover at MGM, and she said it would be something she'd bring up to Fox - who distributes their films - and see how it goes with them.

So here's where the "?" comes in - MGM and Fox need to see there's a demand for this title, so my idea was to set up a page where fans could post comments and info about the film, fanmade graphics, videos, whatever - just to show the fan base it does have.

Yes, I know it's not the CITIZEN KANE of zombie films, yes I know it's often regarded as one of the worst films ever made, I know, I know, I know - but is someone going to tell me TROLL 2 is any better? That a film THAT bad has warranted the attention its received based solely on the fact that is is a bad film and nothing more?

It's obvious to me and many others film like this, attract attention. Maybe for the wrong reasons, but they still have gathered some kind of a fan base and have a demand in the market.

So here's where you guys come in - I've set up a MySpace page, which originally was supposed to be a legit website but my web designer backed out and since time is an issue; MySpace it is - all you have to do is add the page as a friend, and post a comment. That's it. MGM is monitoring the page, so the more friends it gets, the more they see the numbers, the more they'll consider putting the film out on DVD.

Here's the link to the site - http://www.myspace.com/thevideodeadondvd

As well as a banner I made; http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/a_little_voice/videodeadbanner.jpg

And if there's anything from the page anyone thinks they can use to help in anyway, no need to ask, just grab it and spread it out like wildfire.

This isn't just about getting THE VIDEO DEAD on DVD here, this is about showing a big studio like MGM that films like these - no necessarily bad ones - but films that have slipped into obscurity have life left in them. They deserve to be out to the public, not just rotting away in some vault somewhere until their rights expire and any Joe Schmoe can release it in any way with any print.

Also, shooting an email over to; foxdrop@4icc.com is another way to help as well but the big picture here is the MySpace page - the right people are watching that page, and the more people they see joining - the more potential they see in releasing the film as well as possibly others like it.

So come on guys, send us over a friend request, post your bulletins, go on the other message board communities, spread the word and let's get THE VIDEO DEAD finally released on DVD!

Chris M.

srf nz
08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Ehhh...I don't know about that. I always thought The Video Dead was a steaming piece of shit.

I'd have no problem supporting it to be released on DVD I guess though. Some people probably enjoy it, I unfortunately am definitely not one of them, the film looks like it was made for $15 dollars.

Chomp_on_this
08-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Ehhh...I don't know about that. I always thought The Video Dead was a steaming piece of shit.

I'd have no problem supporting it to be released on DVD I guess though. Some people probably enjoy it, I unfortunately am definitely not one of them, the film looks like it was made for $15 dollars.

Says the man with Surf Nazi has his username...

Silly reasoning, since when has a movie's shit factor ever kept it from being released onto DVD?...fuck man, Death Bed: The Bed that Eats is on DVD! And if MGM can release Troll 2, why the hell not The Video Dead!?!

But whatever...Sure The Video Dead isn't the best piece of cinematic culture, but it certainly has its z-grade charm. Plus its a great flick to get high to. And yes, its not on DVD yet, that should be motive alone to support this endeavor...unless of course you hate freedom.

srf nz
08-04-2009, 11:47 AM
:roflmao:

Yeah I suppose being a fan of Troma doesn't leave me much room to talk about quality films. Still, I thought the Video Dead made even Troma flicks look like Oscar winners. But yeah I'm not against it being released or anything. And come on, who the fuck doesn't love Death Bed?!

Anything is good to get high to though, I'm smokin' a bowl to freakin' Telemundo right now, and I don't speak Spanish! :roflmao:

Chomp_on_this
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Heh...when's the last time you watched The Video Dead? I really don't recall it being that bad. The part where the zombie comes out of the TV looks so cool! Plus there's boobs!

zombie commando
08-05-2009, 05:35 AM
I'm totally for this coming to DVD. It used to scare the pajamas off me as a young C.H.U.D. when Commander USA used to play it. That zombie in the wedding dress with the chainsaw....tits!

Chomp_on_this
08-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Fuck yea...I knew I could count on some Zombie Commando support. I was talking to the guy who started this quest and he said that when he talked to the Fox execs (they handle MGM's releases now), they said they needed to see a market for the movie before they would re-consider putting a DVD out...and that they specifically requested starting a Myspace and Facebook page could be a possibility as evidence. So yea, this isn't some flash in the pan internet petition, this is a full blown plan of attack that will be monitored by the head honchos responsible of getting this title released. Every little bit helps.

And with 630 friends and steadily climbing, these fuckers would be insane not to release it. I mean there are some pretty big names backing this...Eli Roth, Sean Clark, Don May, Kevin Smith, Red Shirt Productions, Rue Morgue,..the list goes on.

zombie commando
08-05-2009, 07:25 AM
That's great mon frer. I befriended the myspace page. Those Monster HD screenshots look fantastco. I really hope they take their heads out of their asses and market this shite! Video Dead is a guilty pleasure amongst many deadheads...and if half the delectable trash that hits DVD can make it this pup sure as shit has a chance.

Chomp_on_this
08-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Keep preaching brother. I mean, the horror community can only buy so many repackaged versions of Friday the 13th sequels and The Evil Dead. We're tired of buying all the same old titles,... we want titles not easily obtainable by the public yet,... titles we've only had the pleasure of reading about, or watching shitty VHS transfers. Sure, I love watching VHS for its aesthetic reasons just as much as the next guy, but do these titles not deserve the crispy digital treatment? Are they so incredibly vile that we must flush these floaters down the celluloid toilet and forget them for all eternity? I say no. I say we open Hollywood's closet and revisit all those old skeletons.

zombie commando
08-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Keep preaching brother. I mean, the horror community can only buy so many repackaged versions of Friday the 13th sequels and The Evil Dead. We're tired of buying all the same old titles,... we want titles not easily obtainable by the public yet,... titles we've only had the pleasure of reading about, or watching shitty VHS transfers. Sure, I love watching VHS for its aesthetic reasons just as much as the next guy, but do these titles not deserve the crispy digital treatment? Are they so incredibly vile that we must flush these floaters down the celluloid toilet and forget them for all eternity? I say no. I say we open Hollywood's closet and revisit all those old skeletons.

Amen. I preached on a myspace bulletin. Spreading the sacred word of B-filth! I'm sick of mainstEAM shit being repackaged over and over again. I want some subculture gruelage to take down with my 100% pure American beer diet. BURP!

Chomp_on_this
08-05-2009, 03:13 PM
And they wonder why DVD sales are down. Put 2 and 2 together fuckers. Give us the titles we want or watch the numbers dwindle.

Chomp_on_this
08-07-2009, 05:53 AM
**update**

okay - so here's the deal, mgm is currently looking into the rights they have in the film (music, artwork, etc.) and providing that all checks out we may see a dvd release of the film by february.

However, this is not concrete. There may be rights issues, they may license it out through another company - i believe shout factory is in talks with grabbing some mgm titles and now this one may be included - or they may just throw it on a few channels or on itunes.

But this a direct quote from mgm;

"if everything checks out, it will get released somehow – maybe itunes, maybe mgm’s hd channel, maybe through fox, maybe through another dvd distributor….but i’ll keep you posted."

so there you have it folks, somehow, someway the video dead will be making its way into our homes and it's all thanks to everyone who participated in the campaign and helped get the word out there.

You guys are awesome and i appreciate everything you guys have done.

The page is going to remain up until a definite release date is planned, i'm also going to keep mgm updated on the status of the page - friend requests, emails, comments, etc. - until the film does come out in some form.

Now if it doesn't make it to dvd but makes it to the mgm hd channel or itunes, this still did work. Because obviously if it does well or enough people watch it when it comes on, a dvd release will happen eventually. Again it may not be through mgm or fox, but they are the ones who are going to license it out through someone else so it is still their decision as to whether or not it will come out.

So it's no longer a question of "if" now, it's just when, who and how.

Thanks guys, you all rock!

zombie commando
08-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Watched this flick again last night. Still love it. I always thought it had a little mean streak to it, but isn't so dark as to make it inaccessable to casual movie peeps.

Chomp_on_this
08-07-2009, 06:29 AM
What I really love is how well this film fits its era. It's the perfect(OK maybe it's not perfect,... how about interesting?) blend of zombie trash and social observation about the dangers of the mind trying to decipher between TV and reality. The part where the zombie comes out of the TV is almost akin to Max Renn making out with his TV set in Videodrome. Sure its less effective and not made as well as Cronenberg's piece of work, but it definitely tries to ignite a spark.

That and the gore effects rock...and there's titties...can't say no to titties.

Now MGM just needs to stop dangling this in front of us with HD channel this, Itunes download that, and just release the fucking thing onto DVD,... or license the title to someone who will.

zombie commando
08-07-2009, 08:26 AM
I agree. There's a lot of light hearted social commentary going on in this film that are kind of easy to miss the first time around. There's also a lot of cheese to delve into, making it a well rounded era movie. I love how getting a television in this film is such a huge deal where as nowadays you find several in a single household. The first guy that gets the TV says he doesn't watch television at all; something unheard of now. I also enjoyed the different take on the zombies. These aren't Romero or ROTL zombies; they work with different rules, and they seem more evil and sadistic than some of their genre bretheren. They enjoy taking lives and torturing people....it's not done out of some primitive drive to eat. It's easy to see why dealing with these things might be a little more unnerving than dealing with the braindead, walking stiff of Living Dead lore....

And the wedding dress zombie still kind of creeps me out.

Chomp_on_this
08-08-2009, 06:29 PM
These certainly aren't the zombies we've all grown to love. Romero's zombies have a taste for human flesh. The Video Dead have a taste for the arts and hospitality. Romero's zombies go down with a bullet to the head. The Video Dead go down with a flimsy arrow to the leg. A good way to protect yourself from Romero's zombies is to board your house up with thick wood and sturdy nails. A good way to protect yourself from The Video Dead is to tape mirrors to the front of your doors. Ha!

The movie is such a fucking blast. My favorite zombie was the "Flock of Seagulls" zombie that tries to put the moves on Zoe towards the end....just cause you're dead doesn't mean you can't get any tail.

The Bride zombie is definitely the creepiest zombie though, but I feel the creepiest character in the whole flick is The Garbageman....it sends chills down my spend when he says he "takes care of human garbage"...just the way he says it...sheeeeshh!

zombie commando
08-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Haha...yeah the Garbageman is a creep. There's just a lot of really off kilter things happening, it's like the whole crew got wasted every day on the set and took creepy pills before working.

Twisted Sister
08-15-2009, 06:58 AM
I saw this many years ago and can barely remember it. Didn't the VHS cover have the flashing red lights in the zombie's eye? I'm going to have to scout for it used somewhere.

zombie commando
08-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Hey TS....here is the cover....

http://images.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://www.revenantmagazine.com/VideoDead_BoxArt.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEjSkifOTuMoJcjKabsxvlHTqP13Q

Happy hunting!

Chomp_on_this
08-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Yea...that's the rare Medusa cover. I think that was only released in England and is sought after by tons of fans.

Mine looks like this...from Embassy.
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/vhs-videos/2279-1.jpg

Twisted Sister
08-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Yep, those are it. I do remember the one with the light up eyes at the video store when I was younger - used to mezmorize me ;). Thanks!

boogeyman87
08-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I remembered this thread when I was at the swap meet this morning and look what I picked up. Now I just need to actually see the movie to determine if I like it or not. But the old school poster is pretty sweet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/boogeyman87/thevideodead.jpg

Chomp_on_this
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Yup, I have one too...ROLLED!
http://www.ohmb.net/picture.php?albumid=237&pictureid=2918

zombie commando
08-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Badass posters man!

Chomp_on_this
08-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Yea man...for about two months straight I went on a crazy poster buying binge. Now I have all these posters just boxed up in my closet. I would love to buy frames for them and display them proudly, but they're like $80 per frame...more than I paid for each poster!

zombie commando
08-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Yea man...for about two months straight I went on a crazy poster buying binge. Now I have all these posters just boxed up in my closet. I would love to buy frames for them and display them proudly, but they're like $80 per frame...more than I paid for each poster!

I have a few that I haven't displayed yet as well (Death Ship, Rejuvenator). Frames are ridiculously overpriced. I just said "fuck it" and stuck pins through all of my posters.

I've got:

From Beyond
Alligator
Dune
The Destroyer
The Boogens

Hanging up in my room.