PDA

View Full Version : Showtime Vs. Michael Myers

Deviancy
05-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Showtime snagged RZH a bit late in the game, usually the big movie channels get movies a few months after a dvd release. But for some reason, it took awhile for RZH to show up on cable. But Showtime is airing it a lot this month, and probably next month and the month after.

They're running the theatrical cut however. I was hoping Starz would get it, they tend to get both cuts of movies, if there are two cuts.

But since I had never seen the theatrical cut before since most stores out here only ever had the unrated, it was kind of a treat.

Kind of.

I prefer the unrated cut but it was still nice to see the theatrical.

Anywho, didn't see a recent thread plugging the Showtime thing, so I figured I would plug it. Even though Showtime took awhile, the timing isn't bad considering people can watch RZH now, then see the sequel in just a few short months.

Edit: I see it was mentioned in one of the earlier threads though. But well.. most newbs would miss that so that plug is useless.

Black Sunshine
05-04-2009, 07:23 PM
saw it the other night on showtime.... it was a treat but i myself prefer the unrated cut.

Ultimate Killer
05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Just got done watching it.

EvilOnTwoLegs
05-04-2009, 07:38 PM
This movie is one of the very FEW cases where I actually prefer the theatrical cut over the Director's Cut.

Black Sunshine
05-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Yottle, why is that? just curious...
im sure that u may have answered that question before... but i wouldnt even know where to look

EvilOnTwoLegs
05-04-2009, 07:52 PM
I thought the rape-escape was nonsensical, out of the blue, and a bit too "convenient." It requires too much suspension of disbelief, in my opinion. Not that such things happen in institutions...I know they do...but that the rapists would decide to do it in Myers's room on the night before Halloween. Eh...doesn't do much for me.

Also, a lot of the extra little bits of dialogue in the D-Cut do nothing to improve the film, and in some cases, actually make it worse. For example, in the D-Cut, Udo Kier's character says to Loomis that Haddonfield is over 100 miles away. And yet he walks all that way overnight? In the T-Cut, this line is absent, and the film is better off without it.

Also, ironically, there are more deaths and blood in the R-rated cut than in the Unrated cut. haha That may be a first.

Black Sunshine
05-04-2009, 08:00 PM
the udo line did bother me aswell, and the rape scene also wasent great but i didnt like his other escape either.... I would have had it happen while transporting him on the bus, this way he may already be half way home oh well, but u make good points, But i dunno what it is but i just like it, and i have no valid reasons to back up why other that preferance.

Showtime will most likely play the shorter cut just for time constraints.

i havent seen an extendid edition of LOTR on any channels yet... its all about the time!

Deviancy
05-05-2009, 12:54 AM
I never noticed the 100 mile line, totally missed that.

I just think the rape scene can be read into different ways than the scene in the tcut. The rape can be seen as what caused Michael to snap out of his catatonic like state, it could have for a moment reminded him of how Ronnie was abusive to his mother, or him.

The reason I appreciate the movie more now is because I just started over analyzing it, and comparing it with real stories of serial killers.

And I've always appreciated the studies done on the nature/nurture thing.

So the less superhuman strength Michael has, the better imo. And the T-cut, the whole breaking of those super strong chains then taking out 4-5 guards at the same time, that was just too much. The two guards in his room made more sense because they were preoccupied with raping.

Thaddking
05-05-2009, 04:19 AM
I dont like the rape thing either, because michaels not like escaping on his own like in the original in the rape scene, its like 2 people eare letting him out.

tabby
05-05-2009, 04:24 AM
you guys are lucky that you have the R rated cut on your Showtime. here in Canada on The Movie Network, we have the unrated cut. I was watching a little of it the other night when I got home from the theatre and I found myself extremely creeped out.

Ultimate Killer
05-05-2009, 04:26 AM
I thought the rape-escape was nonsensical, out of the blue, and a bit too "convenient." It requires too much suspension of disbelief, in my opinion. Not that such things happen in institutions...I know they do...but that the rapists would decide to do it in Myers's room on the night before Halloween. Eh...doesn't do much for me.

Also, a lot of the extra little bits of dialogue in the D-Cut do nothing to improve the film, and in some cases, actually make it worse. For example, in the D-Cut, Udo Kier's character says to Loomis that Haddonfield is over 100 miles away. And yet he walks all that way overnight? In the T-Cut, this line is absent, and the film is better off without it.

Also, ironically, there are more deaths and blood in the R-rated cut than in the Unrated cut. haha That may be a first.

That's the beauty of knowing how to edit movies, all of those things go away. I've edited H-5 and RZH to my liking, much more enjoyable now.

Black Sunshine
05-05-2009, 04:37 AM
Showtime has always been edgier with thier programming, so i can understand why the would be the channel to pick up the rights. the Halloween Series as a whole is scattered allover the place when it comes to cable television. Last night in fact Halloween 2 was on Cinemax HD (it looked sooo good), but as a kid i remember Halloweens 4 & 5 always being on HBO. Ive never seen Halloween 3 on Cable. Halloween 6 has been associated with Starz and its affiliated channels. Then H20 & Ressurection on Showtime. Which Brings me to JC's Halloween, Its always on AMC ( not premium cable) & occasionaly on USA, but never on the premium Channels.

does anyone know how these types of things are sorted? as far as the process of securing rights and all that for the broadcasting of a movie? im just curious as to the process. because based on what ive written above, we will never get a Halloween Marathon uncut on Cable!

EvilOnTwoLegs
05-05-2009, 01:22 PM
So the less superhuman strength Michael has, the better imo. And the T-cut, the whole breaking of those super strong chains then taking out 4-5 guards at the same time, that was just too much. The two guards in his room made more sense because they were preoccupied with raping.

Even in the D-Cut, he still uprooted a huge gravestone with his bare hands and carried it away. That would actually take a lot more strength than breaking the restraints in the escape scene (note that the actual chains don't break).

Deviancy
05-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Most of the time these movie channels do an exclusive deal with the studios, sometimes before the film hits the big screen, usually right after.

The exclusive deal usually expires in a number of years. That's when the network channels get the rights. Now sometimes at that point lets say HBO originally had the rights, Starz still can't get the rights because of the deal between HBO and the studio. But sometimes they can, but why bother at that point since the interest is gone by then.

But from what I was told while working with Starz, every movie is handled differently and contracts are different and what have you.

So when it comes to Halloween, Trancas would be able to give us the down low.

Todd
05-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm not a big fan of the rape escape because, as has been pointed out, it's just too random and coincidental. What luck that those dick heads just happened to bring that girl into Michaels room to violate her so near the anniversary of Michaels initial murder spree. No way Mikey could have seen that coming and planned for it. The guards transfering him could have been caused by Michael intentionally to happen near Halloween. Maybe he fucked up his room or threatened somebody in some way so that they'd try to move him to a more secure place? That's not made clear, but it's easy to imagine. I think Michael breaking his restraints in the theatrical version was a bit of a stretch, but I'll live with it.

MischievousSpirit
05-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Maybe those two dick heads planned to do it on Halloween eve, ever think of that? :D

Todd
05-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe those two dick heads planned to do it on Halloween eve, ever think of that? :D
I think you're probably joking, but in case you aren't...
They couldn't have planned for that attractive yet mentally ill girl to fall into their hands. One of the guys wasn't even working that night and (until he saw the girl) was pissed off that he had been called away from his favorite watering hole. Even if they had planned it, the idea of going into Michaels room popped into one of those retards heads on the spot. And if Michael was planning to escape that night, he sure did take his sweet time in going after those guys once they were raping that girl. He didn't make a move until they started messing with his masks.

DanielleRocks
05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I think that had the two guards not raped the girl, Michael would've found another way to break out. I think he planned to get out that night all along, and took the first opportunity he saw. Had they not come along and raped that girl, he would've broken out later that night.

metallicabowler
05-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I definitely prefer the theatrical cut of the movie to the director's cut. What Zombie added in feels simply forced, and the rape escape (rhyme NOT intended) SUCKS. The one-man wrecking crew escape sucks also, but it sucks way less. The added dialogue between Loomis and the suits at Smith's Grove is pointless and terrible. "Haddonfield is 100 miles away from here!" Ok, so then how'd he get there overnight if he can't drive, Zombie???
I take the director's cut as canon and not the T-cut ONLY because it says "Director's Cut" on it. Had it just said Unrated Edition, I might be less critical. But the fact that Zombie WANTED to put in that garbage dialogue and actually PREFERRED his rape escape makes me sad.

MischievousSpirit
05-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I take the director's cut as canon and not the T-cut ONLY because it says "Director's Cut" on it. Had it just said Unrated Edition, I might be less critical. But the fact that Zombie WANTED to put in that garbage dialogue and actually PREFERRED his rape escape makes me sad.

This has been discussed time, and time again on the board. The theatrical cut is the official canon.

lpshinoda13
05-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I think you're probably joking, but in case you aren't...
They couldn't have planned for that attractive yet mentally ill girl to fall into their hands. One of the guys wasn't even working that night and (until he saw the girl) was pissed off that he had been called away from his favorite watering hole. Even if they had planned it, the idea of going into Michaels room popped into one of those retards heads on the spot. And if Michael was planning to escape that night, he sure did take his sweet time in going after those guys once they were raping that girl. He didn't make a move until they started messing with his masks.

If you payed attention to Ismael earlier, Michael doesnt like his masks messed with. Those dumbass guard janitor people fucked with his masks sanctuary and that is what caused him to snap. I think Michael didn't really care about the chick getting raped.

brianandrews
05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
I thuooght zee repe-a-iscepe-a ves nunsenseecel, oooot ooff zee blooe-a, und a beet tuu "cunfeneeent." It reqooures tuu mooch soospenseeun ooff deesbelieff, in my oopeeniun. Nut thet sooch theengs heppee in institooshuns...I knoo zeey du...boot thet zee repeests vuoold deceede-a tu du it in Myers's ruum oon zee neeght beffure-a Hellooeee. Ih...duesn't du mooch fur me-a.
Bork Bork Bork!

Elsu, a lut ooff zee ixtra leettle-a beets ooff deeelugooe-a in zee D-Coot du nutheeng tu imprufe-a zee feelm, und in sume-a ceses, ectooelly meke-a it vurse-a. Fur ixemple-a, in zee D-Coot, Udu Keeer's cherecter seys tu Luumees thet Heddunffeeeld is oofer 100 meeles evey. Und yet he-a velks ell thet vey ooferneeght? In zee T-Coot, thees leene-a is ebsent, und zee feelm is better ooffff veethuoot it.
Bork Bork Bork!

Elsu, iruneecelly, zeere-a ere-a mure-a deeths und bluud in zee R-reted coot thun in zee Unreted coot. heha Thet mey be-a a furst.

What the ?

MMyers89
05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I definitely preffered the Theatrical Escape better, but other than that, I like the D-Cut just fine. One of the little things I really liked about it was the "Trick or Treat" title card after the cemetary scene. It's kinda like "ok, here we go, things are about to get crazy." I dunno, I thought it was a cool little touch, and set up the last third or so nicely.

Oh, and why is EOTL's quote showing up in swedish chef dialect? haha

EvilOnTwoLegs
05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Good question...who the fuck has Swedishized me?

MMyers89
05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
The weird part is, is that your original post is still english, at least to me it is, but brianandrews saw it in swedish chef and quoted it.

Danny Strode
05-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Good question...who the fuck has Swedishized me?

It was Tommy Doyle. On a weirdness scale of 1 to 10, he rates about a 13. Apparently, some pretty strange shit happened to him when he was a kid, messed up his life pretty bad. He's harmless though.

Peaker1990
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
This movie is one of the very FEW cases where I actually prefer the theatrical cut over the Director's Cut.

You, too, EOTL? Wow, I guess I'm NOT crazy for ordering a copy of the theatrical cut after I was given the Director's Cut for Christmas (But I got it at Midnight on December 17, 07).