PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4: Afterlife

mr32
01-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Resident Evil 4 Heading to Tokyo & Alaska
Source:Arrow in the Head January 29, 2009

Paul W.S. Anderson has completed his script for the fourth installment of the Resident Evil series. An insider told Arrow in the Head today that writing will commence on a second draft.

According to the site, a few other things will be happening in quick succession during this time: Right now they're trying to lock Milla Jovovich so she can reprise her role as Alice, then a director (not Anderson) will be sought and casting will begin. As hinted at the end of Resident Evil: Extinction, the story will shift to Tokyo and some shooting will take place in Toronto (to front for Alaska).

Arrow's got the word on the tone of the script and a few other players said to be involved behind the camera

Captain Mal
01-30-2009, 05:03 AM
Video game was fucking great but like the rest of the movies this will be appalling.

madmax4000
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Watch the cgi movie,far better.

Mrs_Voorhees
05-14-2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the news, i am a big fan of the live-action Resident evil movies. I see the games and films as alternate universes. Very excited about the fourth installment which i believe is set for a 2010 release.RE;Extinction might as well have ended with To Be Continued. It will be interesting how they are going to pull of the army of Alice clones lol. Just imagine hundreds of Millas. Unless Paul Anderson finds a way to kill most of them off at the beginning of the movie because i think it would be overkill. I am also hoping for a super-powered battle between Alice and Wesker in the next movie and also bring back Jill Valentine i missed her in Extinction. Perhaps bring back Highlander helmer Russell Mulcahy for this one. Thought he did a great job on the 3rd movie loved his visual style and i thought the post-apocalyptic setting was good and very original.

MichaelMyers
05-14-2009, 06:50 AM
I remember back before Extinction came out that they were going to call the 4th one Afterlife. Anyone else know it that's true still?

TheThirdHalf
05-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Video game was fucking great but like the rest of the movies this will be appalling.

Agreed. When I saw the first one I thought to myself "Shouldn't there be, I don't know, a friggin' zombie in this movie?!?"

Superman
05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Watch the cgi movie,far better.

I agree! I really emjoyed the cgi movie.

Dutchess
05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
The CGI movie was awesome. I am a big fan of the live action movies though, I wish they didn't stray as far from the games as they did though. I think the movies would be better if it had Chris Redfield along with Jill Valentine and get rid of Alice. I wouldn't mind seeing Alice get offed and have Claire Redfield be the star, maybe come along Chris Redfield along the way. haha, but I kinda doubt it will happen, so I am hoping the RE 4 movie will be awesome once it comes out.

Oh..and they should really make another CGI movie because Degeneration was really good.

nwiser
05-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm always up for seeing more Mila Jovovich and Ali Larter. :quagmire:

Mrs_Voorhees
05-15-2009, 12:54 AM
The CGI movie was awesome. I am a big fan of the live action movies though, I wish they didn't stray as far from the games as they did though. I think the movies would be better if it had Chris Redfield along with Jill Valentine and get rid of Alice. I wouldn't mind seeing Alice get offed and have Claire Redfield be the star, maybe come along Chris Redfield along the way. haha, but I kinda doubt it will happen, so I am hoping the RE 4 movie will be awesome once it comes out.

Oh..and they should really make another CGI movie because Degeneration was really good.

I doubt they will replace Milla. She is the lead actor and the main character in these movie and is the reason most people go to see they films because she is so hot lol. Plus RE is a big money spinning series so i don't see the producers replacing her. Oh and she is also sleeping with writer/producer Paul Anderson lol. With the way Extinction ended, i feel they would have to have Alice in the movie or it just won't work. From what i hear she has signed on for this movie. I don't really have a problem with the Alice character. Yes turning her into some sort of superhero was a little self-indulgent but this is a video-game based series so i have no bones about it. There is actually a character from the games with telekenesis and so on.But thanks for reading

thefallenone
06-27-2009, 08:59 AM

My Cousin and I think if anybody gets to battle the greatest villian in RE history Albert Wesker who should be played by a better actor sorry goin off track here should be the Chris Redfield the same guy who fights him in every RE game RE1, RE:Veronica x and my new fav RE game RE 5.

mr32
07-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Resident Evil 4 Arriving in Late 2010?
Source:Ryan Rotten, Managing Editor July 1, 2009

In spite of what any of the talent involved in Resident Evil: Extinction told us during the press tour (mostly, "this is the final chapter"), the film left the door wide - and we mean WIDE open - for a fourth installment.

Late last year, Paul W.S. Anderson revealed he was indeed writing another film. Capcom was getting involved. Everyone, as he said, was "excited." Well, we've just learned from a studio insider that Sony is looking to get Resident Evil: Afterlife into theaters by September 17, 2010. That's according to an internal memo circulating through the offices there.

Will Anderson direct? Unsure. Will Milla Jovovich be back? I think it would be safe to say yes considering the last entry ended on - SPOILER ALERT - Alice clones getting ready to seek revenge on the Umbrella Corporation which was holed up in Tokyo.

Bunk? Truth? We're trying to get to the bottom of this. More info as it comes in!

Danny Strode
07-01-2009, 09:27 PM
The only one I saw was 3, and it sucked. Sucked, sucked, sucked. My friend likes the games and series, and wanted me to go with her. I'm not big on zombie movies, but I went anyway hoping to score me some ass. That turned out real well.

dashroomfreakxx
07-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Sweet! I was hoping for another animated one but this is sweet too. The first was the best

Count_Sarge
07-02-2009, 03:44 PM
The first was the best

Not to mention the only one worth watching.
:erm:

Mr. Bruce
07-03-2009, 02:08 AM
The 3rd one was weak but hopefully they can make this one better... I really liked the CGI movie I got that badboy on Blu-Ray too. IT'S AWESOME.

mr32
07-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Resident Evil: Afterlife Shooting This September
Source:Production Weekly July 16, 2009

ShockTillYouDrop.com broke the news to you earlier this month that Screen Gems was gearing up for Resident Evil: Afterlife.

A release date's been set (September 17, 2010), Milla Jovovich is back and Paul W.S. Anderson has penned the script. No word on a director yet, however, Production Weekly reports the fourth entry has locked in an 8-week shooting schedule at Cinespace Film Studios in Toronto. Shooting begins on September 28th.

This bring the Resident Evil franchise back to Canada after 2004's Resident Evil: Apocalypse. The last entry, Extinction, lensed in Mexico.

storyteller
07-17-2009, 04:44 PM
The first film was good, the second was shit, the third one was a horrible film that I can't help but to love.

I'm excited, I just hope they kill the magical, zombie slayer off.

Frazetta
07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
This is going to be the 4th movie & I'm still waiting to see one that even comes close to how great the video games are!

SasorRegateme
07-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm a big, BIG fan of the entire Resident Evil franchise. I love the games, and the movies (including the cgi one). I own all three films on dvd (cgi, too) and I got most of the video games as well. I don't give a flying fuck what anyone says about the movie series. Sure, the Alice character wasn't in the games, but the movies are in their own universe as stated above. For anyone to say that they don't understand the movies or that they don't make sense, they're not paying attention.

I'm currently poppin' heads in Resident Evil 5 for the X-Box 360 and I couldn't ask for anything else.

My favorite movie in the series is Apocalypse. That movie, to me, was the best one that stayed as close the games as it possibly could. It borrowed elements from Resident Evil 3, and Resident Evil Code Veronica. Imagine, the whole city you live in is infested with zombies because of a viral outbreak.

Awsome.

srf nz
07-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm a big, BIG fan of the entire Resident Evil franchise. I love the games, and the movies (including the cgi one). I own all three films on dvd (cgi, too) and I got most of the video games as well. I don't give a flying fuck what anyone says about the movie series. Sure, the Alice character wasn't in the games, but the movies are in their own universe as stated above. For anyone to say that they don't understand the movies or that they don't make sense, they're not paying attention.

You actually enjoyed the third Resident Evil film? :crazy:

Bar none one of the absolute worst movies of any genre I've ever seen. How they were able to make a ZOMBIE movie one of the most boring films of the year, I'll never know. I literally kept falling asleep every 5 minutes while attempting to watch it. Watching that movie is like eating Ambien.

I'll see the fourth film, but I have no hopes whatsoever for it. The only film in the franchise I really enjoyed was the original. The 2nd film had a few moments here and there but was overall pretty bad, and the third film is still one of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. Any time you manage to turn a fucking zombie movie into a painfully boring film, you're on a whole new level of bad.

srf nz
07-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Hey, I couldn't give two shits if ya didn't like the movies, son. Doesn't bother me. You just didn't get it. Not my loss.

:roflmao:

What's there to "get"? Please explain to me what it is that I didn't "get" about Part 3, I'd love to hear that. We're not talking about a damn Fellini film here.

FTL
07-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Extinction sucked.

FTL
07-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Right.

Fuckin Carlos gets killed.

Johnny Cage doesn't make it.

And the best character in the series gets miscast.

Jason O'Mara......as Albert Wesker?! get da fuck outta here.

FTL
07-19-2009, 04:01 PM
fuck you, smart ass.

srf nz
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Well if you payed attention to not only the third film, but the other two, you'd see that by the time the third movie came around, there was a real good sense of progression.

You're right, shit is perfectly capable of progressing. The entire franchise consists of B-movies at best. Their big dumb zombie action movies, that's their calling card.

The first movie had the viral outbreak take place in what was called the Hive. The second movie had the virus reach the populace of Detroit. And finally, the third film had shown that the entire planet was fuckin' contaminated with Zombies 'cause of the T-Virus reaching all over the world. Tree's and landscapes were destroyed. All the people unfortunate enough to get infected with the T-Virus had become zombies, with the exception of a select few who had proper weaponry on their side, and the assistance of highly trained people.

Then, you have the side story involving Alice. For whatever reason, she was able to make successful contact with the T-Virus and not become infected. Because of this, her blood inevitably becomes the cure for the T-Virus in the process. Because of her unique ability to properly bond with it, she's given many abilities including, telekineses, agility, and superb fighting skills.

Doctor Issac's is responsible for creating what is known as Project Alice. During many failed attempts to create a successful clone of Alice because of her escape in the second movie, Issac's sees that he needs the original Alice to take for not only his own purposes, but for the benefits of the Umbrella Corporation. Doctor Issac's is told to domesticate the infected Zombies, because he's not only ordered to do so by chairman Wesker of the Umbrella Corporation, but to also make it possible so that members of the corporation can walk on the surface without having difficulty with the Zombies who're walking all over the Earth for fear of being either eaten alive, or turned into zombies.

It's revealed in the previous film, Apocalypse, that the T-Virus was used by Umbrella for their own purposes, after taking it away from a former employee of theirs named Ashford. Ashford had created a serum for his daughter so that she could walk again and not be paralyzed. It's shown to be effective, but only for a short while as she's shown to have many injections in her arm. Ashford had hoped to make the serum better and effective permanently, but then Umbrella took it and renamed it the T-Virus.

Because of the progression and slight evolution of the virus, the zombies in the third film demonstrate faster movement than those of the previous films and more grotesque facial features.

If that's too hard for you to follow and not enough of a good explanation for ya, I feel sorry for you, "comrade".

Thanks for explaining the entire plot of the franchise, but since I've already seen the movies, I was already aware of it. How does you reciting the plot to me prove the third film is anything other than a piece of shit? It doesn't.

The film isn't difficult to understand, and I never gave that impression. You conjured that one up out of thin air I presume. My issue doesn't lie in the plot, but rather the writing and direction, which were terrible from start to finish.

If you're going to attack my opinion, please come up with an actual argument, and don't just recite a plot.

And where's this "comrade" comment coming from?

Frazetta
07-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Extinction sucked.Nomore than the other 2 films. I seriously don't get how any fan of A) the RE video games & B) Zombie movies can sit through these & actually say they are good....

TheThirdHalf
07-20-2009, 09:14 AM
I never thought these flicks lived up to the potential they could have. The video games (the earlier ones) were terrific, I actually tensed up when opening doors! Too much sci-fi mumbo jumbo in the movies, not enough zombies. The movies are nothing compared to the games IMO.

srf nz
07-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Tell ya what, I'll put your ass on my ignore list so I don't have to see your idiotic posts anymore. If you really can't see that those three movies were good, that's your problem, son. I stated my opinion like everyone else in this thread did and I got "attacked" because I actually liked them.

Get lost, junior.

Well that's a rather immature way to handle things. Isn't the point of a forum to debate and discuss? If we all just blocked out the opinions of people who don't agree with us, what fun would that be?

I simply asked (rhetorically, mind you) how someone could enjoy the third film. You than went ahead and needlessly explained the plot of the film, and somehow that justified your position and case-closed I'm an idiot because I didn't "get" it. We're talking about a damn Resident Evil movie, not a French New Wave film, what's there to "get"?

But if you want to put me on ignore, more power to you. That's your choice.

FTL
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Lets get one thing straight, dick head.

I wasn't talking to you in the first place.

My post was directed toward Mr32, the member who made the thread.

And then you get all bitchy

Right...

Nowhere did I even direct any comment toward you, until that quote above.

Then I gave you some legitimate reasons of why I thought RE3 sucked.

What happens when I do?

This:

Boo hoo. Cry me a river, why don't ya?

You go and shit your g-string and get smart with me.

Why? Because I gave you reasons why I thought RE3 blew?

You're a fuckin idiot.

Tell ya what, I'll put your ass on my ignore list so I don't have to see your idiotic posts anymore. If you really can't see that those three movies were good, that's your problem, son. I stated my opinion like everyone else in this thread did and I got "attacked" because I actually liked them.

Get lost, junior.

Let me get this straight... You actually have a problem with someone who has a differing opinion than yours? Wow. Anyway, you and the other one who's on my ignore list seem to not only have a problem with someone of differing opinion, but because of that, you also use that as a base for an "argument", instead of respecting one's feelings towards these specific movies.

Get lost, too.

Take your lame ass opinions and backwards thinking, and shove it.

You're like 5 time zones behind your own ass you fuckin jerk off.

HalloweeN63
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Nomore than the other 2 films. I seriously don't get how any fan of A) the RE video games & B) Zombie movies can sit through these & actually say they are good....

I certainly couldn't.

thefallenone
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM
I certainly couldn't.

me either i aited till my cosin bought them on dvd lol

Frazetta
07-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Let me get this straight... You actually have a problem with someone who has a differing opinion than yours? Wow. Anyway, you and the other one who's on my ignore list seem to not only have a problem with someone of differing opinion, but because of that, you also use that as a base for an "argument", instead of respecting one's feelings towards these specific movies.

Get lost, too.#1 Check your attitude at the door jackass. There are few people I'll shrug off replying to me like this & your punk ass isn't one of them.

#2 YOU seem to have the problem with anyone that has a different opinion than you. I simply stated my opinion on the topic at hand which is the entire point of a message board! If you can't handle it maybe you should stay in the kiddie pool with all of the other whiny little babies....

captainoneliner
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM
I've never seen any of the RE movies, but I'm betting this thread is more entertaining than all of them.

Nightmareman88
07-22-2009, 01:49 PM
George A. Romero should have made the Resident Evil movie as originally intended...

ILoveChiaPetsXD
07-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Nomore than the other 2 films. I seriously don't get how any fan of A) the RE video games & B) Zombie movies can sit through these & actually say they are good....

I thought they were ok...when they first came out, haha.

but what about the CGI film? Is that any good?

SasorRegateme
07-23-2009, 08:03 AM
The cgi one is just as great as the movies. Definitely check it out.

Nightmareman88
07-23-2009, 08:44 AM
but what about the CGI film? Is that any good?

It's pretty boring.

Basically, you're watching the cinematic cutscenes of a video game you don't get to play.

mr32
07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
SDCC Exclusive: Resident Evil: Afterlife Coming in 3D!

Source: Ryan Rotten, Managing Editor July 23, 2009

ShockTillYouDrop.com just talked exclusively to Paul W.S. Anderson, who revealed that Resident Evil: Afterlife will be released in 3D and will kick-off a new trilogy!

Anderson, who will write and direct, told us that the fourth film in the franchise will have the largest budget of all the films so far. "I always envisioned Resident Evil as a trilogy of films," he said. "And we've been very lucky where it's a trilogy where the audience has built and built. I wanted to kick off a brand new trilogy. I'm really excited we're doing it [in 3-D] and we're using the same camera system [James] Cameron used for Avatar. There are a lot of exciting things about this one. I don't regard it as Resident Evil 4, I regard it as a re-tooling and rebirth of the entire franchise."

Milla Jovovich will return as Alice in "Afterlife," opening September 17, 2010. You can also expect some returning characters from the previous films and new characters from the video games.

TheShape'78
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Fucking 3-D. I freakin' hate the 3-D gimmick, never have been and never will be a fan of it.

-mitch-

xBabyBoo666x
07-24-2009, 08:36 AM
I think the only Resident Evil movie I like is the first. I actually think that one was good , in my opinion at least. The rest i'm not all that fond of & now with this fourth one being 3D ... I honestly don't know what to expect of it. So I guess I won't say anything negative about it till I actually watch it , one thing is for sure that with my lil nephew being a huge Resident Evil fan... i'm more than likely going to be the one getting stuck taking him to the theatre to see it.

SasorRegateme
07-24-2009, 10:11 AM
SDCC Exclusive: Resident Evil: Afterlife Coming in 3D!

Source: Ryan Rotten, Managing Editor July 23, 2009

ShockTillYouDrop.com just talked exclusively to Paul W.S. Anderson, who revealed that Resident Evil: Afterlife will be released in 3D and will kick-off a new trilogy!

Anderson, who will write and direct, told us that the fourth film in the franchise will have the largest budget of all the films so far. "I always envisioned Resident Evil as a trilogy of films," he said. "And we've been very lucky where it's a trilogy where the audience has built and built. I wanted to kick off a brand new trilogy. I'm really excited we're doing it [in 3-D] and we're using the same camera system [James] Cameron used for Avatar. There are a lot of exciting things about this one. I don't regard it as Resident Evil 4, I regard it as a re-tooling and rebirth of the entire franchise."

Milla Jovovich will return as Alice in "Afterlife," opening September 17, 2010. You can also expect some returning characters from the previous films and new characters from the video games.
That's awsome news. I hope to see O'Mara return as Wesker and give Alice some trouble.
You know it's gonna be awsome 'cuz Anderson's penning the script. :nodsmile:

Nightmareman88
07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
You know it's gonna be awsome 'cuz Anderson's penning the script. :nodsmile:

No.

Anderson is a fine action director, but he cannot write.

srf nz
07-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah I'm really not understanding the Anderson love. Guy's pretty much a hack. He's made what, one good movie? Event Horizon and that's about it for me. The first Resident Evil is enjoyable as a cheesy action-zombie flick, but it's nothing spectacular. Anyone who helped write and directed the first Alien vs. Predator film is a hack in my book.

SasorRegateme
07-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Here's an interview with Anderson about not only After Life, but Resident Evil 5, as well! (http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/856541/resident-evil-iv/videos/sdcc09cap_inv_ws_Resevil.html)

Phatty Matty
07-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Wow, I cannot believe I missed all the fun everyone seems to be having in this thread.

I can somewhat enjoy the first movie, the second is a blast to watch when your drunk as shit because if you can seriously sit there and enjoy it any other way then may god help you. The third one was far too serious. I wanted to see Milla Jovovich kung-fu the shit out of the Tyrant at the end, but instead she shot it with guns and stuff. Not to mention the acting was abysmal. I think Ali Larter is hot as hell, but she is no Claire Redfield. I about pissed my pants when I saw Wesker at the end too, another example of crap casting. But mainly I thought the idea to put the movie in an post-apocalyptic setting was boring.

Don't know what to think of a new movie, surprised they're even making one. Can't say I'm interested after the lowly third entry.

Phatty Matty
07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Movies based on video games should attempt to be different then the actual video game, or what would be the point of rehashing the same story?

Paul W.S. Anderson's idea of creating the same setting and plot elements but adding a whole new character to the mix was a pretty good idea, but an idea that I don't think was ever bought to life as well as it could have. The first movie was interesting to fans because it added a whole new dimension to the original story by seeing brand new characters enter the underground lab (beneath the mansion that gamers knew so well) before the outbreak even began. The second movie was laughable because it took characters and settings that we already knew from the games and tried to change them around. When Alice and Nemesis begin to perform hand-to-hand combat, I about shit a stick.

And only seeing the third movie once, was it explained how the outbreak infected the whole rest of the planet? Because from what I remember, the second movie ended up nuking Raccoon City thus ending the outbreak just like the ending events of Resident Evil 3.

Nightmareman88
07-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Movies based on video games should attempt to be different then the actual video game, or what would be the point of rehashing the same story?

Paul W.S. Anderson's idea of creating the same setting and plot elements but adding a whole new character to the mix was a pretty good idea, but an idea that I don't think was ever bought to life as well as it could have. The first movie was interesting to fans because it added a whole new dimension to the original story by seeing brand new characters enter the underground lab (beneath the mansion that gamers knew so well) before the outbreak even began.

I don't mind seeing something different, but a film adaptation of a book/comic/game should be faithful to it's source material.

The doom-laden atmosphere of the game was missing, much due to the lack of exploring that huge mansion, and the underground lab being white and shiny rather than murky and dark like in the game. A Resident Evil movie I think should present a variety of monsters, as the characters goes deeper into the lab and discovers the horrible experiments by Umbrella. But instead, in the movie we just have zombies, and Anderson makes poor use of them. The zombies shows up for about two sequences and are forgotten. The infected dogs, a prolonged pain in the video games, shows up for one segment, gets their heads smashed in by a leaping and kicking Alice, and disappears. Even The Licker, while faithfully adapted in terms of appearance, has very little screen time, and I never found it to be much of a scary obstacle in the games, and as it turns out, it isn't much of one in the movie.

While the game simply focused on like three characters, the film has a multiethnic cast of characters and they are never properly introduced nor are we given a reason to care about their fates. They might as well be faceless victims who, every once in a while, get attacked and munched on by the dead people, dogs, and a deformed creature with a long tongue. Even their names are barely mentioned, hell, Alice never has her name spoken, written or identified until the end credits.

The plot of the Resident Evil game played like a mystery, but in the movie, the characters are seeking answers and wondering "What happened here?" when we, the audience, already knows the answer to all these questions within the first 15 minutes. The movie begins by explaining the whole Umbrella corporation in an opening crawl... with a narration. Yeah, they have all this text on the screen, but just in case you're some illiterate dipshit, they also have some guy READING the words on the screen to you! Don't you just love movies that start out with a lot of exposition? Where you see line after line of words on the screen? Or hey, don't you just love movies where somebody is talking line after line of exposition to you? And it goes on and on, minute after minute? After that follows a long sequence that displays the T-Virus outbreak and the death of the scientists. Then we go to a somewhere completely different place - seemingly separated from the events we just saw: Alice waking up and wandering around in a mansion, and doesn't seem to know who she is or where she is. And what happens, is that the movie starts all over againfor the third time!

This is alone why George Romero should have made the Resident Evil movie. When Romero tells a story, You Are There! And without any exposition crap either. You jump into the action and you go, learning along the way. Show don't tell. The sign of a good story teller. Like I said, Paul Anderson is a fine action director, but he can't write. All Paul can do - all Paul has ever done - is imitate other movies. And in this case, Aliens and Dawn/Day Of The Dead . The best parts seem pinched straight out of these movies (the parade of zombies; a super-macho female commando; and the slimy creature with no eyes,) yet without James Cameron's breathless pacing or Geogre A. Romero's intense atmosphere - and his taste for extravagant gore; as a zombie movie, Resident Evil is criminally tame.

A film adaptation of the Resident Evil game, often cited as the first example of horror survival genre, should be an unsettling and creepy horror movie that takes its time, that waits, and allows silences, like the best kind of horror movies. It should not be degraded into a "all pay-off and no buildup" B-movie action flick with heavy metal music.

mr32
08-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Exclusive: Milla Jovovich Talks Resident Evil: Afterlife
Source:Edward Douglas August 1, 2009

The lovely Milla Jovovich has been keeping very busy in the last few years, both making movies and raising a family, and when ShockTillYouDrop.com sat down with her to talk about her part in the David Twohy thriller A Perfect Getaway, we tried our best to learn more about her return to the "Resident Evil" action-horror franchise which has kept her in the spotlight for so many years.

It was just one month back that Shock discovered Milla and her fianc, director/producer Paul W.S. Anderson, would be returning to the franchise for Resident Evil: Afterlife, scheduled to start shooting in September for release in September 2010.

The last time we left Alice, there were literally thousands of Alice clones ready to be unleashed on the world, and at first, Ms. Jovovich was slightly tentative on getting into detailes about where the story might go from there. "There's a great script and it's going to be pretty wild. It's going to be in 3D," she said diplomatically. "They figured out a lot of stuff. We start shooting in September, they've got it all figured out at this point."

She was a little more candid when asked about what convinced her and Anderson to return to the franchise for a fourth time. "The movie makes money," she admitted. "If it makes more money than the last one, you'd think that people want to see another one, so we'll do another one. There's been a lot of interest online, there's been a lot of letters from fans film company. It's not like I said, 'Hey, honey! Let's do another one right away!' I mean, it's an expensive film and it's all business and if the third one didn't do well, there wouldn't be another one."

Anderson has really been getting prepared to make his return to directing the franchise since the first movie, especially with the 3D factor being added to the equation. "He's been really studying it and seeing all the different things they have and watching every 3D movie ever made pretty much," Milla told us. "Especially for a movie like this, because it's wild and a lot of action and a lot of potential for 3D to use the medium at its best. Paul has been going to every 3D company and he's now signed a deal to go with Jim Cameron's 3D company--they did 'Avatar'--It should be pretty interesting. I've never actually seen a 3D movie."

Next up after A Perfect Getaway for Ms. Jovovich is The Fourth Kind, a psychological thriller set in Alaska (out on November 6), and Stone with Edward Norton, and you can read more about them in our full interview next week.

Zombie_Myers
08-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Personally I think the next RE film will be terrible and I liked the previous three films but the ending of RE 3 just had me saying "What the fuck?" and considering this is a new trilogy in 3D I don't think it will work at all especially with the ending of RE 3.

ILoveChiaPetsXD
03-02-2010, 10:31 AM
The trailer is attatched to ANOES, according to Milla's Twit account.

Rich
03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
I liked RE Extinction. It was a very good horror movie! You had zombies and even the crows, which is kind of like an Alfred Hitchcock tribute!

dashroomfreakxx
04-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Don't know what to think yet doesn't really look that great but I'll give it a chance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM_gl76O328

Luki
09-01-2010, 02:37 AM
I´m still not sure about this one. I enjoyed the first movie... while it was nowhere near as good as it could´ve been it was fun, sometimes tense and kinda atmospheric action horror flick. It had all these elements that almost worked. The second one was horrible and the third one was at least fun with solid direction and interesting ideas.

Afterlife looks just bad. Even bigger mix of elements from various RE games with less horror and more silly action.

LoomisKnight
09-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I saw Afterlife tonight. Was ok, but I am probably going to save the next one for Bluray. Just not worth my 12 bucks to see it in the theater (or 3D).

Franchise
09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Good to see Agent Smith alive and well living in Alice's world. Glad he's found work now that there's harmony inside The Matrix. Movie made no sense and went nowhere. I give it an F. Glad I had a good time seeing it though.

spindrift68
09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Personal Thoughts/Review

Zombies, gore and wet Milla Jovovich in black leather - my idea of heaven.

The "Resident Evil" film franchise has never particularly bothered me. From what I hear, they're nothing like the games they spawn from, but that really makes no difference. I've never felt especially attached to the games in the first place, so I don't at all mind the alterations and liberties that have been taken during their film adaptment, shifting the focus from survival horror to action adventure with prominent characters only sprinkled throughout in an attempt to please whiny fans.

I'll agree that "Resident Evil" and it's first sequel "Apocalypse", were both cheap, empty and relatively senseless movies, that probably showed very little respect for their video game counterparts. I do sincerely love "Apocalypse", even with it's shortcomings, but I'd be the first to admit that it's a stupid and illogical movie. "Extinction" then differed heavily from the other films, and attempted to be somewhat of its own cinematic entity, while sticking to continuity and remaining a true sequel. It made no bare bones about ripping off George Romero's "Day Of The Dead", with it's plan of zombie domestication, but I was fine with it since it was stylistically and directorally better handled than the first two.

Now we have the much anticipated "Resident Evil: Afterlife", the fourth and surely not-to-be-last entry in the money grabbing franchise, helmed by notorious geek enemy, Paul W.S. Anderson. The biggest compliment I can give this installment, is that it's astoundingly mediocre, and just as hollow as it's predecessors. It's dialogue is reprehensible, the delivery is horrendous, the majority of the performances are hideously wooden and the film features a number of plot-centered inconsistencies with the previous films (like the fact that the oceans were dried up by the T-virus and have suddenly just re-flooded themselves without explanation).

It's been four years since the conclusion of "Resident Evil: Extinction", and our planet has long since been lost to the hordes of the undead. The genetically super-powered Alice (Milla Jovovich) and her army of clones have raided the Umbrella corporation's secret underground Tokyo base, and the sinister maniac, Albert Wesker (Shawn Roberts, in a howlingly hideous performance) who caused this heinous worldwide catastrophe in the first place, has made good his escape. But not before injecting Alice with a serum that removes her super-human capabilities, and leaves her back in her purely human state. She's currently on the hunt for survivors, and randomly (and very seldomly) runs across traces of the zombies that now plague the earth, even though no more than a dozen are visible at any one time.

Along with a crazed Ali Larter (who does her best imitation of a perpetually startled caveman), her lost long brother (Jenson Ackles 2.0 aka Wentworth Miller) and a mischievous group of expendable characters who only exist for pointless collateral damage, Alice sets out to find the source of a live radio signal - one that offers a land free of the the zombie plague, with food, shelter and safety for all.

As in previous installments, the zombies themselves play second (or perhaps third or fourth) fiddle to Jovovich's Alice character, who singlehandedly consumes the first two acts of the film doing nothing but wandering around the barren Alaskan mountains looking for anyone alive, and recording her "Blog of the Wasteland" diaries, which I assume she later plans to upload on YouTube. As mentioned before, Alice has also lost her powers (or so the movie claims), and yet she still possesses the ability to survive horrible plane crashes and defend herself from legions of undead creatures (during the few moments in which they actually appear), including a marvelous Axeman (Ray Olubowale), a 12 foot super-zombie with a burlap-sack for a head, and a three kiloton battle axe that he wields at inconveniently placed fences.

Jovovich herself continues to be one of the series' only redeeming assets, and as usual, she does her best given the inept material she's handed. She's always convincing at playing that genuinely badass chick, with that glaring stare and that dont-fuck-with-me attitude. Alice is one of the best female badasses since Ellen Ripley (in my opinion), who succeeds in being just as dangerous as she appears. Not to mention that she can actually deliver cheesy one-liners in the vein of Bruce Campbell, that are genuinely fun and don't induce a groan.

Paul W.S. Anderson continues to show that he has a skilled eye for the camera, but not much experience in the area of competent screenwriting. Anderson, who undoubtedly possesses the worst qualities of both Zack Snyder and Michael Bay, delivers some moderately fun action sequences (the watery Axeman fight and the climax with Wesker), that prove to be the only fleeting moments of entertainment the film has to offer, even if they are few and very far between.

All I wanted was a moderately entertaining horror action flick with hot chicks shooting guns and killing massive swarms of ravenous undead mutants. I really didn't get that. "Resident Evil: Afterlife" is not totally incompetent, but it certainly shows a clear lack of focus and imagination on the part of a group (and a director) that has shown promise to deliver something good from time to time. I'm sure Mr. Anderson's intentions are all well and good, but if you must insist on making another sequel, please hire someone else to write the script for him. Oh...and actually include some zombie action next time around. That would be sweet.

You want a really good and creepy movie released this year with the title "Afterlife"? Go check out the Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo film, "After.Life", starring Liam Neeson as the charming mortician. Shit, Christina Ricci even wears Milla Jovovich's exact red dress from the first 3 "Resident Evil" films in that flick. Somewhere, I suspect, a conspiracy is forming.

Grade: C+

CritterKoas
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I for one enjoyed the movie for what it is, a movie. It may have lacked things, but the movie to me seems just as good as the others in the franchise, It to me just seems like it was something that lead up to the next sequel, like Potc2...I enjoyed the 3d although the slo mo shots were unneeded. Good movie.

FooFighters
09-13-2010, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the review spindrift! :)

SuperDave
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Well, I enjoyed the heck outta the movie. I'm not really under the impression that these films are "good" per se, but they are damn entertaining IMO. I've never played any of the games, so I don't have any opinion about how faithful or unfaithful the movies are, neither do I care.

I thought the dialogue, while not Shakespearean, was probably the best yet in an RE film.

My only complaints would be an overuse of slow-motion, and undermining what would have been a perfect ending to the entire series with the setup for the sequel (although it was cool to see Jill Valentine again, looking incredibly hott). Of course, since a sequel has already been announced, this isn't too bad I suppose.

Milla was incredibly kick-ass. I can't think of a chick in Hollywood who is more of a badass action star than she is. I really loved the opening sequence.

This may be my second-favourite RE film, after the first.

The movie begins by explaining the whole Umbrella corporation in an opening crawl... with a narration. Yeah, they have all this text on the screen, but just in case you're some illiterate dipshit, they also have some guy READING the words on the screen to you! Don't you just love movies that start out with a lot of exposition? Where you see line after line of words on the screen? Or hey, don't you just love movies where somebody is talking line after line of exposition to you?

You mean like the original Star Wars trilogy, Lord of the Rings, Escape from New York, the Evil Dead films, The Dark Crystal, Beauty and the Beast, Terminator 1 & 2, Serenity, and Centurian? Yeah, 'cause all those movies suck.

This is alone why George Romero should have made the Resident Evil movie. When Romero tells a story, You Are There! And without any exposition crap either. You jump into the action and you go, learning along the way. Show don't tell. The sign of a good story teller.

Which is what Romero used to be, but he's well past his prime by now. IMO, the last good movie he did was Land of the Dead, and that one wasn't as good as the first three. Besides, I've heard his script for RE1 was nothing special.

Like I said, Paul Anderson is a fine action director, but he can't write.

For the most part, I agree, but I really think he's improving as a writer, at least when it comes to dialogue.

Zombies, gore and wet Milla Jovovich in black leather - my idea of heaven.

That about sums up the appeal of these films, which I'm totally fine with. I think people expect them to be something they're not. I accept them on their own terms and enjoy the hell outta them. I would add that they are pretty well-done action films, especially #2 and #4.

It's been four years since the conclusion of "Resident Evil: Extinction"

This isn't accurate; the film takes place four years after the original outbreak, and several months after the end of Extinction.

She's currently on the hunt for survivors, and randomly (and very seldomly) runs across traces of the zombies that now plague the earth, even though no more than a dozen are visible at any one time.

Did you forget about the hundreds of zombies crowded around the prison, and the subsequent infiltration of said prison?

(Jenson Ackles 2.0 aka Wentworth Miller)

I don't think that's a fair characterization. Jenson Ackles is much more charismatic.

As mentioned before, Alice has also lost her powers (or so the movie claims), and yet she still possesses the ability to survive horrible plane crashes and defend herself from legions of undead creatures

People survive plane crashes in real life all the time. And as far as the ass-kicking, she could do that in the first film, before she was infected with the T-Virus (which happened after she was abducted by Umbrella scientists at the end of the first movie). She was head of security for the Hive, remember, and apparently had advanced combat training. And besides, these are the kind of movies where people can kick a lot of ass. It's expected.

Nightmareman88
09-16-2010, 12:11 AM
You mean like the original Star Wars trilogy, Lord of the Rings, Escape from New York, the Evil Dead films, The Dark Crystal, Beauty and the Beast, Terminator 1 & 2, Serenity, and Centurian? Yeah, 'cause all those movies suck.

Any movie that opens with a narrator reading the text on the screen to us is annoying, even Escape from New York. Although I don't recall this in those other movies you mentioned.

TheShape'78
09-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Any movie that opens with a narrator reading the text on the screen to us is annoying, even Escape from New York. Although I don't recall this in those other movies you mentioned.

He was referring to the exposition itself. Part of your criticism was that this film had exposition at the beginning, and SuperDave pointed out that many a film have this present. Sure, not all of them have the exposition spoken to you (i.e. Star Wars), but some do (i.e. EFNY, T2).

-mitch-

Dr_Loomis02
09-16-2010, 08:42 AM
I don't mind seeing something different, but a film adaptation of a book/comic/game should be faithful to it's source material.

The doom-laden atmosphere of the game was missing, much due to the lack of exploring that huge mansion, and the underground lab being white and shiny rather than murky and dark like in the game. A Resident Evil movie I think should present a variety of monsters, as the characters goes deeper into the lab and discovers the horrible experiments by Umbrella. But instead, in the movie we just have zombies, and Anderson makes poor use of them. The zombies shows up for about two sequences and are forgotten. The infected dogs, a prolonged pain in the video games, shows up for one segment, gets their heads smashed in by a leaping and kicking Alice, and disappears. Even The Licker, while faithfully adapted in terms of appearance, has very little screen time, and I never found it to be much of a scary obstacle in the games, and as it turns out, it isn't much of one in the movie.

Agreed. It's a sad fact when you say that the first is the best of the bunch so far seeing as that film even failed on many levels.
I think the Mansion was simply there to be there. How much more interesting the film would have been if they'd given us an hour in the Mansion, like a true survival horror, like the original 'Night of the Living Dead.'
They could have had more suspense and mystery but instead turned it into a poor action flick.
Also, the sequels have the bad habit of throwing in characters from the games, characters who in the films have no development, they are there for the sake of being there because they were in the game, like the mansion.
Wesker should have been there from day 1.
And even though I've grown to enjoy the Alice character, the whole super hero thing is old. Give us real people trying to survive extraordinary circumstances.
Paul Anderson just isn't a great filmmaker. The only film of his I've really liked is 'Event Horizon.'
That was loads better and far scarier than any of the RE bullshit we've been given in the films.
Here's a series that's in need of a good fat reboot with more focus on characters, suspense and the source material.

wyatt s
09-16-2010, 08:49 AM

While not all of them have text and narration, yes all those films (with the possible exception of Terminator 1 because I haven't seen it recently enough to remember) begin with chunks of exposition. Star Wars being the big culprit. Evil Dead 2 has the "Book was bound in human flesh and inked in human blood" blah blah blah, Army of Darkness has Ash telling you the events of the previous two films "It got into my hand and went bad." The other films I can't remember too much specifics about. It's not opening a film with exposition that's a problem in any way. It's opening a film with SHITTY exposition.

Nightmareman88
09-16-2010, 02:46 PM
It's not opening a film with exposition that's a problem in any way.

Exposition is like bad tasting medicine. The best way to give it to somebody is to sneak it in along with something that tastes good. If you give it all in one big dose it leaves a nasty taste in your mouth. That's why I hate movies that begin with a ten or twenty minute let's-get-to-know-the-characters expositionrama. And that's why I love it so much when a movie opens in the middle of the action. John Carpenter's The Thing opens with a helicopter chasing a dog across the endless frozen waste of Antarctica. A man leans out of the helicopter and aims a high powered rifle at the dog. Now that's the way to start a movie! The story just starts. Right away, you're drawn in. What the hell is going on? No boring exposition, just jump right in. Show, don't tell, just like they say on the first page of every screenwriting book ever written.

If they just cut out that opening narration & the death of the scientists in the first Resident Evil movie and just start the story with Alice waking up, the movie suddenly becomes a bit better.

wyatt s
09-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Well, first things first, screen writing books can fuck off. haha. I've never once cared for any book that purports to teach it's readers how to write anything beyond structure. Sure, write books about format and such, but don't try to teach people how to write content. Can't stand that.

Secondly, Star Wars begins with a big ass crawl telling you exactly about the world you're entering in fine detail, and it takes a while to do it too. Granted, there's some kick ass music to accompany the text, but it's still like two pages of text up there on screen. So, again I say, exposition is not the problem. Bad exposition is.

dashroomfreakxx
09-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Just saw this last night. I'll admit it was better than I thought but thats not saying much cause it was by far the worst in the series. And no where near as good as the first IMO. I thought it was more of an action movie and based more on gimmicks than a good storyline. I wish they would do a film based on the first two games

DeadLightPro
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Felt like this one was a step up from the previous entry. Just wish there had been a little bit more characterization storyline-wise. Definitely a step in the right direction for the RE franchise.

Gerry f'n D
03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a307096/resident-evil-5-dated-for-2012.html

Resident Evil 5 will open in cinemas in September next year, reports Coming Soon.

The sci-fi horror, based on Capcom's hit video game series, will be released on September 14, 2012 through Sony's Screen Gems. The date lines up the untitled fifth film's opening with the previous three franchise instalments, which also had September debuts.

Milla Jovovich will reprise her role as Alice in Resident Evil 5.

Last year's Resident Evil: Afterlife, the series' first in 3D, took in $290 million at the worldwide box office. The franchise has grossed more than $660 million at the box office in total

I enjoyed the first 2 films.I've yet to see Extinction & Afterlife.

cheers

Khan
03-04-2011, 05:50 PM
This news doesn't surprise me one bit. Afterlife was a modest success domestically, but the foreign numbers were great.

I haven't seen it yet, but I can't say that I am in a rush to do so.

SuperDave
03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Very excited about RE5.

Muse
03-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Last two movies have been the most fun outta the bunch. Roll on five! As long as Ali Larter's back, too... Jovovich and Larter in one movie, on a big screen, was just <3 Worth it on it's own!

dashroomfreakxx
03-06-2011, 12:02 PM
stupid

Frazetta
03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
These movies are such huge pieces of shit.

dashroomfreakxx
03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
degeneration and the first were great

Frazetta
03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
degeneration and the first were great They all suck to me....they spit in the face of how great the games were.

Muse
03-06-2011, 01:19 PM
They all suck to me....they spit in the face of how great the games were.
They were never an adaptation of the games, though. They were loosely based on characters/events/settings created for the games. It's only like Batman and Spider-Man films, taking elements from source material and putting it into a new narrative... Exactly the same principle. There's no spitting in the face. If you don't like them, well, that's a shame, because they're just meant to be a bit of fun. But there's nothing in there that disgraces the games.

Frazetta
03-06-2011, 04:14 PM
They were never an adaptation of the games, though. They were loosely based on characters/events/settings created for the games. It's only like Batman and Spider-Man films, taking elements from source material and putting it into a new narrative... Exactly the same principle. There's no spitting in the face. If you don't like them, well, that's a shame, because they're just meant to be a bit of fun. But there's nothing in there that disgraces the games.I know there is no direct link to the games which is probably why they suck sobad. Trust me I had high hopes for this series when it was 1st announced but with every movie it's done nothing but get worse. If you or anyone else enjoy them that's cool with me but, in my opinion, they are a disgrace becase they could have been somuch more than what they are.

dashroomfreakxx
03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
They all suck to me....they spit in the face of how great the games were.

compared to the games I agree but I still thought those 2 were great