PDA

View Full Version : The best Dead remake?

Count_Sarge
01-26-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm gona\na have to go with Dawn of the Dead 2004 with this one. Imo it was quiet a decent remake and probably the best zombie film since, Day of the Dead in 1985. It pretty much destroyed every other zombie film during its time thats for sure!

Yeah I'm senile!:crazy:

MM2DYLAN
01-26-2009, 08:32 PM
I liked NOTLD, loved Dawn of the Dead, but Miner's Day was just crap.

EvilOnTwoLegs
01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm goin' with NotLD. It preserved most of what was great about the original, while doing what it had to do in order to still surprise people who'd seen the original a hundred times. Savini did a great job with it, it's got some genuinely creepy moments, the cast were all great in their roles, and it did a good job of fleshing out the characters.

The Dawn remake was very good, as well, but I still give the edge to Night. It was more about isolation...but at the same time, human interaction - how people basically fuck themselves by fighting with each other over stupid shit (also true of the original Night) - whereas the Dawn remake was more action-oriented. It's a fun ride, but it isn't as creepy or (dare I say) insightful.

Khan
01-27-2009, 04:01 AM
The Night remake.

The Dawn remake is good as well and the Day remake is crap.

jbyrd123
01-27-2009, 05:32 AM
I went with NOTLD remake I thought it did a good job making Barbara a bad ass who stood up for herself in stead of a shell shocked retard, plus at least one person survived, which I like.

TimStrode
01-27-2009, 06:18 AM
I went with NOTLD too. I loved how it stuck close by to the original but had a few good twists. And the Babara character was awesome.

Twisted Sister
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I went with Night of the Living Dead. I always found it truly terrifying, and they didn't ham it up with special effects and bad humor.
Dawn was decent enough, but I'm not a fan of the running zombies. It was a lot more action movie oriented.
Day of the Dead remake? Do NOT EVER go there. Yechh.

Silverpsycho
01-27-2009, 07:55 PM
The Night remake because it still carried the feel of the original but with terrific upgrades to the effects, make-up and especially Barbara. It was great to see a modern version and I like how Romero himself revised the script.

The Dawn remake was fun but running zombies...meh. :p While entertaining, it strips the important message the original offered and delivers less of an impact due to a lackluster cast. There wasn't one single individual I truly cared enough about...not like the original four heroes, not even close.

The Day remake...wow, lol. :crazy:
In all honesty, 28 Days Later serves as the best Day remake, even though it's the infected and not zombies. The similarities are most definitely there and the director was obviously influenced by Romero, as he pointed out in the documentary on the DVD.

Rich
01-31-2009, 10:48 AM
I didn't even bother to watch Day. Savini's Night was far superior to the piece of crap remake of Dawn.

mr32
02-01-2009, 06:53 PM
I like Night a whole lot probably the first zombie movie i seen when i was young. But i went ahead and went with Dawn the idea of running zombie running after is scary.

TouchMe4Money
03-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Tom Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead.

It wasn't great. But it was a lot fresher than the Dawn of the Dead remake.

carol
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Wait, Day of the Dead is a remake? I never tknew that.

TouchMe4Money
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM
The 2007 version is. Not the 1985 Romero film.

Although, there are other movies called Day of the Dead that were made before Romero's film, they just had nothing to do with zombies in a military compound.

Torgo
03-19-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm a big fan of the NOTLD remake, I've seen it countless times and I actually saw it before I watched the classic original.

That said, I voted for Dawn of the Dead '04, because for all intents and purposes that movie should have royally sucked, but instead I thought it was great. It actually opened my mind to remakes, so now whenever I hear they're remaking one of my favorite horror classics at the very least I'll give it a chance instead of getting pissed off or outright dismissing it.

As for the running zombies, I think they're possibly scarier than the traditional Romero zombies. While I PREFER the traditional Romero zombies, the running zombies would be a hell of a lot scarier to run into.

And as for it being more of an action movie than a horror movie, the same could be argued for the original DOTD.

TouchMe4Money
03-19-2009, 12:54 PM
I have to be realistic with the concept of zombies myself. Running would hurt them too much, they're dead and recently been re-animated. How exactly could they muster up the strength to run? 28 Days Later kind of solved that problem, so, when it comes to that whole mess, 28 Days Later did it better.

And of course, Return of the Living Dead did it first. And the concept is so ludicrous, that the fact that the movie worked makes it all the more unnecessary in my opinion for another movie to come along and do it again.

By the time Dawn '04 came out, I felt there was no new ground for them to cover. Seeing the film turned me off to new millennium remakes completely. And I haven't seen another one since. (Other than The Ring)

Khan
03-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Going by science, the running part just wouldn't be possible after a while, or else you would be seeing zombie's legs and arms snapping off like the cryo scene in T2.

MM2DYLAN
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Going by science, wouldn't the dead just... stay dead?

carol
03-19-2009, 01:02 PM

Not unless there's a way to being them back.

Khan
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Not in the Romero universe and the majority of other zombie films, which have slow moving zombies.

Romero never officially said why they came back.

Even when an explanation is given for why they turned, they usually still abide by some scientific rules.

There aren't many zombie films with runners.

TouchMe4Money
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
DAMN!
Well you got me there.

However, I was just considering the difficulty of moving the limbs after rigor mortis and all that. I didn't even think of how brittle the bones and ligaments would be. They would snap right off if they tried to run.

Torgo
03-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I couldn't care less if running zombies are less scientifically possible than slow zombies (LOL...). Running zombies worked for the remake, and that's all I care about.

Twisted Sister
03-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Not in the Romero universe and the majority of other zombie films, which have slow moving zombies.

Romero never officially said why they came back.

Even when an explanation is given for why they turned, they usually still abide by some scientific rules.

There aren't many zombie films with runners.

Here here. And it should stay that way.

Jer, they came back because of the Iron City Beer cans dumped all over PA. True story.

MM2DYLAN
03-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm talking real science... real science would say those he die stay so.

Khan
03-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Here here. And it should stay that way.

Jer, they came back because of the Iron City Beer cans dumped all over PA. True story.

They may be pure motorized instinct, but they don't like littering. ;)

I'm talking real science... real science would say those he die stay so.

Not to sound like a crackpot, but we don't know what science is fully capable of.

Voodoo practices have involved simple techniques to simulate a living death, so who knows what is possible.

Twisted Sister
03-20-2009, 06:32 PM
So wanna go to Haiti with me, Crackpot? ;)

Khan
03-20-2009, 06:38 PM
The political instability is as bad as the threat of zombies there. :D

Lord Thurisaz
03-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Dawn and Day sucked major ass. And why Ving Rhames is in both I don't know [same with Nick Cannon in Day.. lol.] And isn't Miner the guy who brought us Friday 2 and 3? Wow, how the mighty ones fall. LOL.

Savini, you win this one. Congrats on remaking Night and not pissing off everyone.

Twisted Sister
03-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Haha, good one. Night was terrifying.
Dawn is alright to me, but I don't take it too seriously. Day? Good for target practice. I really don't know what they were thinking (or not thinking).

dr.sk8er
06-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Dawn of the Dead for sure! Im not sure if I want to see the Day of the Dead remake, I heard its horrible. Oh and you have that crappy NOTLD 3D remake too!...that one was erm, ok - it was still fun to watch but i'll wait 'til the DVD ends up in the 5$ bin, cause right now its like 25$ where I am. o.O

TouchMe4Money
06-02-2009, 06:28 AM
I still don't know what they were thinking with Dawn of the Dead 04. How the hell can you remake a movie with characters as amazing as Fran and Roger? The original actors are too good to replace or re-do their parts. The filmmakers doing it should have been smart enough to see this.

zombie commando
07-07-2009, 03:45 AM
I really enjoyed Dawn of the Dead '04, so that'd be my pick. It was a good horror/action hybrid.

Count_Sarge
07-07-2009, 04:03 AM
I really enjoyed Dawn of the Dead '04, so that'd be my pick. It was a good horror/action hybrid.

Agreed. The Night remae was pretty much the same only minor changes made. Day of the Dead remake sucked. Plain and Simple.

The Dawn remake though tried something different while, still keeping the concept in check. Its not flawless but, it could have been way worse.

Them Oylmpic Zombies still don't roll with me though. :grouchy:

JOeKER
07-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I went with Dawn Of The Dead 2004.

TheThirdHalf
07-10-2009, 08:24 PM
NotLD for me. Dawn was alright too, but the Savini fan in me leans more toward Night.

DeadLightPro
08-28-2009, 09:58 PM
As much as I enjoyed Dawn. The die hard Romero fan in me adheres to the set rules of Romero's world and leans towards Night, which altered the storyline in such a way, that it kept me coming back to that particular remake.

spindrift68
08-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Night of the Living Dead 1990. It doesn't hold a candle to the original, but it's still decent.

Snyder's Dawn is ok too, and Miner's Day, well...I enjoyed it...but as a terrible movie.

MovieBoyShane
10-02-2009, 08:02 PM
The Dawn of the Dead remake is still my favorite zombie film tied with Shaun of the Dead so I think I voted for that haha

Scarface
10-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I like Savini's Night of the Living Dead the best. However, the Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty fucking awesome, and one of the few good modern remakes.

Muse
10-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Dawn '04 for me, easily. NOTLD '90 was a good movie, but, it's really similar to the original in terms of plot, and simply, when it comes to remakes, I prefer it when they change things around a bit. And I think Dawn '04 is the perfect example of taking something and making it your own. Sure, some of the key elements from the original were lost, but it's own were added. So while it's not as good as the original in some ways, it tops it in others. But of course, the original still stands above it overall.

SuperDave
10-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Wow, DotD '05 and NotLD '90 are neck-and-neck, aren't they?

I gotta go with Dawn, myself. I thought it was totally rad. I wasn't a huge fan of the Savini remake, but maybe I should give it another look.

Khan
10-03-2009, 08:32 AM
The Dawn remake came out in 2004.

Citan
10-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Night and Dawn remakes were both great. Day, on the other hand...Not so much. :p

blacksymbiote
07-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I liked Dawn remake the best. In dawn, we're shown pretty much only the recently dead so they wouldn't have deteriorated enough to be beyond running.
NOLD remake was good too but it felt like it was made just to give the female characters bigger roles at times.
Day remake had nothing going for it.

Roswell
07-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Dawn '04 is my pick. It doesn't hold a candle to Romero's original, but on its own it's a fun movie, and certainly one of the better remakes of the last decade or so. It was also one of the best theatre experiences I've ever had. The audience was totally into that film.

Night '90 is a decent film, but I really think Savini should have gotten a few more directing credits under his belt before he directed it. I'm sure Romero wanted Savini to direct it because of the friendship they had built up over the years, but I feel like they should have weighed their options more.

The less said about the recent Day remake, the better.

the 'M' clam
08-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I did not know there was a remake of Day of the Dead! I really have to see that. Well the remake of The Night Of The Living Dead was not really crap but it was not really great & I find this more like B-horror movie. But I think it's ok to watch. Remake of Dawn Of The Dead is just as good as the original & I love them both.

The Saw
08-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Hey, I think you guys forgot about NOTLD '06 :bastard:

the 'M' clam
08-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Are you sure theres really NOTLD'06. I have not heard of NOTLD in 2006.

El Rooto
08-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Yes, there is, clam-boy...

...in 3D!!

Clearly, the movie was a trendsetter for the 3D remake.

The Saw
08-05-2011, 05:15 PM

...in 3D!!

probably because of it's massive success.

the 'M' clam
08-05-2011, 05:18 PM

...in 3D!!

Wow I better check & look out for it when I go shopping.

Torgo
08-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Wow I better check & look out for it when I go shopping.

It's free on Comcast on demand, I believe.

the 'M' clam
08-05-2011, 08:07 PM
It's free on Comcast on demand, I believe.

Wow I have to check Concast out. Thanks Torgo.

Dead By Dawn
08-20-2011, 03:29 AM

For good reason. Thankfully NOTLD '06 was given to me as a birthday present so I didn't have to make the mistake of wasting money on it.

Anyway, I picked Dawn Of The Dead 2004. In my opinion, it's the best zombie film since Romero's original trilogy.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-20-2011, 01:35 PM
I picked Dawn Of The Dead 2004. In my opinion, it's the best zombie film since Romero's original trilogy.

Looks like someone hasn't seen Dead Snow.

Dead By Dawn
08-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Looks like someone hasn't seen Dead Snow.

Yeah actually, I haven't. Who knows, maybe when I do see it I'll end up liking it more than the DOTD remake.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-20-2011, 02:46 PM
It's by far my favorite zombie film of recent years.

Dead By Dawn
08-20-2011, 07:33 PM
It's by far my favorite zombie film of recent years.

Awesome. :)
Best Buy has it for somewhere around $10, so Amazon probably has it for even less. I'll probably get it soon.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-21-2011, 01:50 AM
Hope you don't mind subtitles, though. It's a Norwegian film.

Dead By Dawn
08-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Hope you don't mind subtitles, though. It's a Norwegian film.

I don't mind at all. I love foreign horror and I'd rather it be in the original language with subtitles than a shitty English dub. :)

MyersCult81
11-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Dawn of the Dead was the only one I liked. It was very good as far as remakes go and it brought new life to the zombie genre along with Resident Evil and 28 Days Later.

Snoopygirl68
04-24-2013, 02:55 PM
NofLD was the best.
Dawn '04 was good also, but not a fan of running zombies.
Day...I'm not even going there. Yuck