PDA

View Full Version : Aliens in zombie movies

Khan
01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Usually, one wouldn't think of the two genre's mixing, but sometimes they do.

However, this concept isn't always completely successful.

Night Of The Creeps has zombie-like people and space aliens, but it works.

However, from my perspective, it didn't work as well in Undead.

What do you fellow zombie fans thinks of the idea?

PG Soul
01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Usually, one wouldn't think of the two genre's mixing, but sometimes they do.

However, this concept isn't always completely successful.

Night Of The Creeps has zombie-like people and space aliens, but it works.

However, from my perspective, it didn't work as well in Undead.

What do you fellow zombie fans thinks of the idea?

Not seen Undead yet...

I thought it worked well in Night of the Creeps and well in Night of the Comet also.

I think if the script is right then they can pull it off, in a way I consider Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland version) to be a alien invaders with a slight zombie like twist flick.

I have to see one all out effort in this sub-genre, but hey if the script is tight and good director then we could have a fun time movie indeed.

Chomp_on_this
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Undead was awesome until the aliens showed up. I agree...but I think it all comes down to how you handle it. Undead was kind of going for a more realistic and serious approach to the genre, sort of in the same vein as GAR's Dead trilogy. Then when the gigantic walls and people floating up in the sky started happening it kind of felt out of place and totally a waste of a perfectly good zombie flick.

Now in the case of Night of the Creeps, its more comedy driven. Its like this movie is already over-the-top and absurd...what else can we throw in there? "Zombies, exploding heads, creepy crawlies...and a date for the formal."

I'm all for extra-terrestrials in zombie flicks if the final product is going to be an absurd romp of flick like Night of the Creeps. But if GAR decided to pull a Spielberg and add aliens in the next Dead installment, I'd probably end up feeling confused, and more than likely, pissed off.

Khan
01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Do you remember the buzz about Undead on the Zombie Army?

Everyone was hyped about it but many were let down by the "twist."

Chomp_on_this
01-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Ah...the Zombie Army...such a magical place. As much crap that was posted on that site, I still have to admit I had a great time...and it was even better when Land of the Dead became the official movie.

But yea...I remember the talk on there. Don't get me wrong, the first hour or so has pretty good zombie action, its just towards the end there the movie just dismantles itself. I wouldn't call the movie a complete train wreck though.

Khan
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
The completely CGI aliens just didn't work.

Still better then House Of The Dead though.

Twisted Sister
01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I haven't seen House of the Dead - and was told not to bother.

A serious, scary zombie movie with an Alien sub-plot/twist would be difficult, and I don't think it would work. I've seen Creeps and Comet, like Chomp said, it was more comedy-driven so it works in that sort of atmosphere.

Khan
01-08-2009, 07:28 PM
You aren't missing much.

Silverpsycho
01-08-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm always down for something different that involves zombies.

Unfortunately out of the movies listed in this thread (concerning aliens & zombies), I've only seen Night of the Comet, which I liked but I prefer the whole Romero approach with not knowing exactly how the zombies came to be and it wasn't involving outer space.

To approach this idea again, I would like to see something done well with this concept, as both aliens and zombies make for great "villains."

Ike Carr
01-12-2009, 09:46 AM
There was an animated show back in the mid-ninties on UPN Sunday Mornings called B.A.D.(The Bureau of Alien Detection ) in which Martians were using reanimated corpses as footsoldiers in thier invasion plans. Also, the Borg from Star Trek:First Contact, the way they convert others by injecting nanites into people to add them to thier collective, and the way the move is rather zombie-like in thier own way.

screamer88
01-14-2009, 11:19 PM
umm, i really dont know about the idea. i guess as long as it had zombies in it, i def give it a try.

Rich
01-15-2009, 01:03 AM
I love Night of the Creeps. I have never seen The Undead. I think for the most part, aliens should stay aliens and zombies should stay zombies. Night of the Creeps was the exception to the rule, but I say let the creatures all stay in their own films.

jbyrd123
01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Not seen Undead yet...

I thought it worked well in Night of the Creeps and well in Night of the Comet also.

I think if the script is right then they can pull it off, in a way I consider Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Donald Sutherland version) to be a alien invaders with a slight zombie like twist flick.

I have to see one all out effort in this sub-genre, but hey if the script is tight and good director then we could have a fun time movie indeed.Night of the Comet didn't have Aliens in it, did it. It was agreat movie though in my opinion as was Night of the creeps.

Twisted Sister
01-24-2009, 11:36 AM
No, but the origin of zombieness was from space. A comet crashing to Earth caused people to either die or become zombies.

jbyrd123
01-24-2009, 11:40 AM
They were turned to Zombies if they were inside or behind a window when Haleys comet passed, they were cool Zombies all in all.

Mr Nighttime
03-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Let the aliens land after the zombie plague hits and become infected and take it to their home world. Let's see ET be a flesh eater.