PDA

View Full Version : One thing I didn't like about Land.....

Count_Sarge
11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Dennis Hopper.

He was great but he just didn't sell the fear factor enough.Do you REALLY think you would lose a fight with Dennis Hopper?

In Land you have this city of survivors, most of whom had to take out zombies, and use weapons to survive, and Dennis Hopper is keeping them down. I just didnt buy it it all. If Dennis Hopper was dressed in leather and spikes and knawing on a human arm, and acting like he did I would have bought this.

So what would have made Hopper more intimidating?

Roswell
11-12-2008, 07:29 PM
I thought he was fine. What he lacked in physical presence, he made up in the iron grip he had on the city...until the zombies showed up.

Chomp_on_this
11-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Dennis Hopper.

He was great but he just didn't sell the fear factor enough.Do you REALLY think you would lose a fight with Dennis Hopper?

I think that was the point though. Do any of the evil leaders of present and yesteryear strike a physical fear?...all but maybe a handful. Lets see here; Hitler was a short man with a tiny mustache and a comb over...not really what I would call intimidating. Kim Jong-il; a stout Asian with glasses and a fade...I'm pretty sure a rapid gust of wind could send this guy on his way. President Bush...a middle-aged "cowboy-in-a-business-suit" that speaks a tongue only third graders can comprehend...not what I call an over-powering physical presence.

I think that was the vibe Romero was hitting on...for example the nose picking scene. So as far as I am concerned King Koopa was perfect for the role.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/mariomovie5.jpg

MMyers89
11-12-2008, 09:16 PM
I really liked Hopper's character. I thought it was really well played, and it was a very "Romero-esque" character.

zombie commando
11-14-2008, 07:25 AM
I think that was the point though. Do any of the evil leaders of present and yesteryear strike a physical fear?...all but maybe a handful. Lets see here; Hitler was a short man with a tiny mustache and a comb over...not really what I would call intimidating. Kim Jong-il; a stout Asian with glasses and a fade...I'm pretty sure a rapid gust of wind could send this guy on his way. President Bush...a middle-aged "cowboy-in-a-business-suit" that speaks a tongue only third graders can comprehend...not what I call an over-powering physical presence.

I think that was the vibe Romero was hitting on...for example the nose picking scene. So as far as I am concerned King Koopa was perfect for the role.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/mariomovie5.jpg

I agree. Tyrants don't have to be physically intimidating. They merely need to wield a lot of political power, which usually is quantified in terms of moola, which Kaufman had.

Twisted Sister
12-29-2008, 10:37 AM
All he needs is that lunatic glint in his eye, and he does. I did not like this movie when it came out, and re-watched it again twice in the last couple of weeks, and it really grew on me. I rather like Hopper's character. He rules over the city on top of his pile of money, and gets people on his side or working for him - hmmm....kind of like a certain dictator in the 30's/40's....and I think it was more powerful to see a normal guy in a business suit, than some crazed punk rocker or something. Like Stephen King says, use what is most familiar, most un-threatening and use it against your sanity.

Rich
12-29-2008, 11:00 AM
You don't mess with King Koopa. You'll be koopin' out in no time. I think Denis played the role of the politician right on key in Romero's Land of the Dead. I just can't wait for Romero's Island of the Dead.

That would be cool if the zombies take over the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Twisted Sister
12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh yeah....:) You'd get to see it all.

I definitely think Hopper did a great job with what he was given.
And of course, don't get me going on my man Simon Baker.

Dingo
12-30-2008, 05:37 AM
Dennis Hopper.

In Land you have this city of survivors, most of whom had to take out zombies, and use weapons to survive, and Dennis Hopper is keeping them down. I just didnt buy it it all. If Dennis Hopper was dressed in leather and spikes and knawing on a human arm, and acting like he did I would have bought this.

So what would have made Hopper more intimidating?

Hopper was FAR from the worst thing about that movie! The Zombie using the gun was horrible! The Zombie teaching the other Zombies to use their various implements as weapons was horrible and the movie was saved ONLY by the Zombie Band in the gazebo at the start!

Twisted Sister
01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
The gazebo band was great, haha....
The story itself, and the zombie makeup, even the acting was good, it just kind of ruined it for me with what Dingo stated above. I don't like smart zombies :).

zombie commando
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM
The gazebo band was great, haha....
The story itself, and the zombie makeup, even the acting was good, it just kind of ruined it for me with what Dingo stated above. I don't like smart zombies :).

I didn't mind the smart zombies. I knew going in that they were going to be higly intelligent....well for dead heads that is. I didn't like the short run time or the way that social commentary was kind of shoved in your face. I thought the movie should have focused more on getting us to care about the players involved, and the ending where they let the zombies leave unharmed was utterly retarded.

I'm disappointed that they aren't continuing this timeline. I really wanted a Mad Max/Dawn of the Dead hybrid.

Twisted Sister
01-04-2009, 08:05 AM
I cared about Simon Baker ;).

In all seriousness, I agree. This movie made leaps and bounds in my eyes from when I first saw it, and I don't think as badly of the brainy zombies as I did. Maybe if it were toned down more, it would have been better. The action was great, the nods to previous movies were great, the makeup and effects were great. Dennis Hopper grew on me, as did Asia Argento and some of the other characters.

Khan
01-04-2009, 08:35 AM
He is a very good actor.

I had been a fan of his ever since his role on The Guardian.

He has made a big comeback with The Mentalist.

Twisted Sister
01-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I have seen neither, unfortunately. I think this was the only role I've seen him in.

Hopper really plays a whacko well, I give him that. My favorite is still "Lord of the Harvest Lefty" for pure cheesiness, haha.

Khan
01-04-2009, 07:04 PM
On The Guardian, he is a hotshot corporate lawyer who is caught in a drug bust and sentenced to use his skills at a pro bono law center for community service.