PDA

View Full Version : Which Dead Series installment did you think had the most frightening zombies?

Count_Sarge
11-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I personally pick Night of the living Dead. Those mofos are freakin scary! Day is a close second. The zombies are like vicious, strong, aggresive creatures from hell.:bigeyes:

Brimstone
11-09-2008, 03:15 AM
I chose Night because they still looked like normal people and weren't really disfigured.

Twisted Sister
11-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Night, particularly in black and white, had the scariest zombies to me, like Nightstalker said, because they had the least "makeup" and what is familiar to us often times seems the scariest (not to steal a Stephen King-ism). I think the b&w made them alot scarier.
I do have to give Flyboy Zombie from Dawn credit though, he terrified me when I saw this in my younger years. When the elevator opened, and he came out, and led the zombies down the hall, and started attacking the wall (maybe the music boosted this for me) - it was frightening.

I put a spoiler on this part just in case, but if any zombie fans haven't seen the original, which would be insane, but you never know.....

Chomp_on_this
11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
The most grotesque definitely go to Day or Land. The most frighting go to Night. I enjoy how they are all slow and lingering until they get right up close to you....then they snatch you and go for the bite.

I always loved how Fulci's zombies acted in Zombi 2 and The Beyond...they walk incredibly slow, with their head cocked and slumped all the way down. Plus they have the gore....I always found their walk and demeanor to be some of the best demonstrated by zombies on film.

The most un-frightening definitely got to Diary...there wasn't a single zombie in that flick that I even enjoyed. Don't even get me started on that mummy-zombie at the end...fucking Christ. That whole ending was god-awful and completely boring...totally un-characteristic of a Romero flick.

The Devil's Reject
11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Night of the living dead was good shit for the time. That film doesn't age as much as other films from that time.

Khan
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I am going with Night Of The Living Dead on this.

Twisted Sister
11-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Chompster, you didn't like Bud the Vegetarian zombie????? Hahah :)

Silverpsycho
11-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Out of Romero's work, I agree with most here and I'll say the original Night of the Living Dead as well so that's what I voted. However the most scary zombies with the best make-up are those from Fulci's Zombie (Zombi 2). I'm not the biggest fan of that movie but wow, those are some amazing looking zombies.

The silliest and most loveable came from the original Dawn of the Dead. :D They make me smile. I love how each and every one is distinguishable, as you could kind of tell their personality and who they were in their past life.

Day of the Dead had some very kooky zombies but wow, those guys were hungry! :bigeyes: Definitely the most gory of the bunch.

Land of the Dead zombies were a bit over the top. I didn't like how they communicated with one another. It was distracting because it seemed a bit too cheesy with Big Daddy grunting to all his followers.

Even though I loved Diary of the Dead, this was the first Romero film where I didn't feel a connection with the dead. I know it was a new spin on everything but I found the zombies to be unmemorable.

Count_Sarge
11-11-2008, 04:00 PM
However the most scary zombies with the best make-up are those from Fulci's Zombie (Zombi 2). I'm not the biggest fan of that movie but wow, those are some amazing looking zombies.

You see, to me, Fulci zombies aren't that scary compared to (most) GAR zeds, because they lack that humanity. I like that stark, mirror-like reflection that GAR's zombies have. Now, some can get pretty inhuman looking, but for the most part there is an animus at work when you look at them and, most importantly, when they look back at you.

Day of the Dead had some very kooky zombies but wow, those guys were hungry! :bigeyes: Definitely the most gory of the bunch.

Them suckers looked like they would rip your balls off.:bigeyes:

MMyers89
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Day of the Dead I think. Their makeup, the dark location, and the times when you could here their moans echoing in the distance made them seem the most ominous to me.

Hawkwind
11-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Night of the Living Dead zombies just didnt give up and they looked weird as hell

Silverpsycho
11-16-2008, 06:28 PM
You see, to me, Fulci zombies aren't that scary compared to (most) GAR zeds, because they lack that humanity. I like that stark, mirror-like reflection that GAR's zombies have. Now, some can get pretty inhuman looking, but for the most part there is an animus at work when you look at them and, most importantly, when they look back at you.
I was only talking about the make-up aspect to it. I totally agree their movement was not as effective but their overall look in Fulci's Zombi 2 was really quite creepy. I'm just saying if you put up a picture of a Night zombie and one of a Fulci zombie, the Fulci ones come off as more gruesome. The Night zombies are absolutely classic and pioneers of the zombies, but there is not much to them and they're simplistic due to the low budget. Not a bad thing at all since I prefer low-budget effects. Also in Zombi 2, there is only one scene where the zombies come off as truly scary to me and that's when they are coming out of the dirt graves. I'm not counting the zombie vs. shark moment or anything like that. :D

Khan
11-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Zombie vs. shark! :D

Fulci knew how to do zombies.

The whole idea of former friends and family members coming back without any goal but killing and/or eating you really is frightening...in a good way of course.

TouchMe4Money
03-19-2009, 12:44 PM
The original.

The zombies in Dawn were just too comical and the zombies in Day were... well, they looked the best of the series prior to Land of the Dead (tell me that famous jumpsuit zombie doesn't look the spitting image, minus facial hair, of the Martin Moorehouse zombie from Tales from the Hood!). But the music score (which I freaking love!) kind of killed any potential they had to be scary.

the 'M' clam
07-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Well I did not find any of them scary to be honest but end of the day I only saw the first 3 films when I was in my teenager years. If maybe if I saw them at a young age then maybe I might of found them scary. At the beginning is probaly the most scary scene in the original Night Of The Living Dead so I voted for that and thats about to give me the creeps if I saw it at very young age.

blacksymbiote
07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Night had the scariest zombies. They could still pass for human and were relentless in trying to get into the house.

Thorni52
07-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Night has the scariest but Dawn is my favorite.

z0mbiej0e
08-19-2012, 02:54 PM
As a child I was always exposed to Dawn. It scared the shit outta me. Something about those gray faced bastards.

MyersCult81
11-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I thought Night looked the most realistic. Of course the black & white film might have something to do with that. But they seemed more relentless trying to get into that house. I still think that Cemetery zombie was creepy as hell.

Snoopygirl68
04-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Day of the Dead had the scariest ones for me.

Trekkie313
06-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Seriously? People think the crazed mental patient look of the original film is scary? Day Of The Dead is clearly superior! Unless were talking about the 1990 re-imagining.