PDA

View Full Version : Versus

1978 COLLECTOR
10-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Back in 2000, a native Japanese director who attended film school in Australia decided to make a theatrical sequel to his student film DOWN TO HELL, about a group of thugs that kidnap a person and let the person wonder into a forest with the thugs having to hunt the guy down to kill him. However, ideas were changed and a new film was made: Versus.

http://www.jazfilms.com/images/versus_large_2.jpg

The film has the same begining: a group of Yakuza thungs take two peole from prison into a forest. But when a prisoner shhots and kills a prisoner, crap goes down because 5 minutes later, the guy is alive - sorta. Turns out that the forest they are in can bring the dead back to life. But the Yakuza's boss knows more - 2000 years ago the boss and one of the prisoners fought over the power of the forest. The forest not only brings people to life but is the 444 out of 666 portals to the otherside. As zombies keep comming up from where the Yakuza's have buried their past victims, the one prisoner left alive and a girl must stop the Yakuzas from getting the power of the forest of ressurection, because the Yakuzas are the bad guys, or are they?

The film is directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, director of Azumi, Godzilla Final Wars, Battlefield Baseball and the live action adaptation of the manga Alive. His latest film was the latest Clive Barker adaptation: Midnight Meat Train (in theaters now). There are two versions of this film: the theatrical version and a directors cut (the pic abouve is faux, the film's theatrical cut was released three times with each having faux titles). The real director's cut is called ULTIMATE VERSUS.

Chomp_on_this
10-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Versus is pretty entertaining. I could very much sense Kitamura's love for the Evil Dead series, because a lot of it was very Raimi-esque; everything from the story, to the zombies, to some of the camera shots. The continuous techno music was a little much as well as the fight scenes in the woods that went on for, what felt like, an eternity. All in all, definitely a great zombie flick to have a few beers too. Nothing too thought-provoking, just some nice gory bits for your brain to rot on.

zombie commando
10-06-2008, 07:01 AM
I dug it but I can't watch it as regularly as I do some of my other zombie related flicks. It's no classic, the fun parts are really cool, the annoying parts are really annoying. Fo some reason I get dizzy while watching it. Maybe it's all the weird ass camera angles and the whole hyperkinetic film approach.