PDA

View Full Version : Survival of the Dead

MMyers89
10-03-2008, 10:16 AM
http://joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=13988

"Hard to believe that George A. Romero is at it again with another zombie flick in the works (check out the details HERE). Lucky for us, it's not a sequel to DIARY OF THE DEAD, but another entry into his "DEAD" series.

Variety announced today that the untitled zombie flick has just scored quite an impressive cast--you ready for it? Alan Van Sprang, Kenneth Welsh, Kathleen Munroe, Devon Bostick, Richard Fitzpatrick, Stefano Colacitti, and Athena Karkanis have all joined the zombie project, which started filming principal photography earlier this week.

Welsh appeared in THE FOG remake, while both Bostick and Karkanis had roles in SAW IV. That's right, we're not talkin' about a bunch of light-weights when it comes to the genre here.

According to Variety, the flick's about inhabitants of an isolated island off the North American coast who find their relatives rising from the dead to eat their kin. The leaders of the island feud over whether or not to kill their reanimated relatives or preserve them in hopes of finding a cure.

There may not be a title yet, but I'm thinking ISLAND OF THE DEAD sounds pretty damn good, all things considered. Remember folks, if it's true--you heard it here first! Is the world ready for another Romero zombie flick? I know I am!"

Not sure how accurate this news is, considering only a couple days ago it was announced that there would be a possible Diary 2, but no word on whether or not it was being made. Personally I didn't like the sound of that at all since Diary was a huge letdown to me. Hopefully if this news is real, then we can have another great, old school Romero zombie flick more along the lines of Land of the Dead, which I have come to really, really enjoy. It has aged well as a Romero film and seems to fit in better with the series now that it doesn't seem so new and fresh.

Ravenheart
10-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Hopefully it won't be as bad as Diary.

wyatt s
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Man, way back before Land of the Dead came out the announcement that Romero was working on another zombie movie was fantastic news. Now it's just...I don't know, I feel like I've seen enough zombie material out of the guy for a while now. I'd like to see him working with some other type of material. So, yeah, I'll anticipate this newest zombie film as much as any Romero fan but I find I can't get as excited over it as I would have a few years ago.

The Dark Knight
10-03-2008, 12:12 PM
At least it isn't "Diary 2". But I'm curious as to where this movie would take place in chronological order. There are more zombies after each movie in the official time line of events, so would "Island of the Dead" have something like 4 people who aren't zombies left alive? I think it would be pretty cool for him to wrap it up by having zombies conquer the world in his last film.

Torgo
10-03-2008, 12:30 PM
At least it's not a sequel to Diary, which I hated. Hopefully he can win me back with this entry, as the last two left a lot to be desired.

Scarface
10-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I'm glad it will be ditching the whole "Blair Witch" camera work. I liked Diary for the most part, but really bad acting, and some bad CGI killed the impact of the movie for me. By all means, it should've been a classic. Should've. I'm excited to see what George brings in. Hopefully, this film doesn't get plagued with bad acting and CGI. I want to seem some good, practical zombie carnage, ala Day of the Dead.

OmegaRex
10-03-2008, 05:07 PM
They say zombies on an island and I'm thinking Zombi 2.

Revenant
10-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds like the long rumored Island of the Dead

Chef Dustin*****

zombie commando
10-06-2008, 07:13 AM
I'd rather he did his undead rock and roll flick. I forget what it was called, the project died a while ago, but the concept seemed pretty fun and at least it was a departure from his "serious" dead flicks that shove political commentary down your throat.

Shit, I'd kill for another Creepshow flick with King writing the script and Romero behind the lense again.

Khan
10-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Diamond Dead. ;)

MMyers89
10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Wasn't he working on something called "Toe Tags" at some point too? I thought maybe that was the rock n roll dead flick.

zombie commando
10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Wasn't he working on something called "Toe Tags" at some point too? I thought maybe that was the rock n roll dead flick.

That was the comic book he wrote for DC a while back. I didn't think it was very good.

MMyers89
10-06-2008, 10:12 AM
That was the comic book he wrote for DC a while back. I didn't think it was very good.

Ah, ok, it was a comic book. Was there ever talks of it being a film at some point? I swear I remember, at least at first, it was going to be a movie, but I could definitely be getting the two confused.

MMyers89
11-01-2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/14160

"Director George A. Romero has a very special Halloween treat for you guys... beyond the break you'll find the first ever action-packed image from Romero's latest "OF THE DEAD" zombie pic, which features your first look at one of the new zombies. The pic involves inhabitants of an isolated island off the North American coast who find their relatives rising from the dead to eat their kin. The leaders of the island feud over whether or not to kill their reanimated relatives or preserve them in hopes of finding a cure. Read on for a look and watch for more news soon."

MMyers89
11-03-2008, 09:11 AM
http://joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=14384

(click link for picture)

"Somehow those kooks over at USA Today snagged themselves a brand new image from the latest George Romero zombie opus, known for now as "ISLAND OF THE DEAD", even though it's a good bet that it'll get a title change before we finally see it... All we know for the moment is that it takes place on an island, has two differing groups of survivors, and that one of the walking dead wears a grungy flannel shirt and has a bad hairlip. Creeepy.

The article has a few quotes from Romero as well, explaining that - surprise! - the zombies aren't the only cold-blooded sonsofbitches in his tale.

"There are two factions. It's the idea that even when faced with a crisis, tribal concerns about power control people's motives."

"It's this whole idea of tribalism, that we can't pull it together," he says. "News reports about the presidential race still bring up religious topics or racism. That's pretty much the central theme."

Obviously, this isn't a new theme for the director - all of his zombie flicks are in one way or another about how society can't seem to band together to face a common enemy. Yeah, we get it George, we suck!

So what's everyone got their panties in a bunch over? One side wants to kill off zombified loved ones before cannibalistic urges strike. The other would rather wait to see if there is a cure for such cravings. "They want to leave Grandma in the rocking chair for a while longer," he says. "It's not a good idea."

Romero goes on to say that if DIARY OF THE DEAD - which this is a follow-up to - was like NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, then this one is more like DAWN, in that it has a lot of action. Sounds good to me! Just lose the videocamera, okay?"

zombie commando
11-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Ah, ok, it was a comic book. Was there ever talks of it being a film at some point? I swear I remember, at least at first, it was going to be a movie, but I could definitely be getting the two confused.

Nope. It wasn't ever going to be made. It was being put out about the same time Romero was talking about LOTD so maybe you got the two a bit mixed up.

This new zombie flick sounds like some more political soapbox riffing.

MMyers89
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Nope. It wasn't ever going to be made. It was being put out about the same time Romero was talking about LOTD so maybe you got the two a bit mixed up.

Yeah, I actually think I just got Diamond Dead and Toe Tags mixed up.

This new zombie flick sounds like some more political soapbox riffing.

Yeah, I'm not too excited for it, but in the back of my mind, I have a small hope that Romero can redeem himself after Diary and make another kickass zombie flick. I just hope the commentary is a little more subtle this time around.

MMyers89
11-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Set report from:

http://www.fangoriaonline.com/gore/home/news/9-film-news/418-first-set-report-on-romeros-new-zombiewestern.html

"Deep in the darkest heart of rural Ancaster, just on the outskirts of Hamilton, Ontario, hordes of hungry cannibal corpses are bursting from the confines of a barnyard prison and shambling toward anything with a heartbeat. Around them, panic-stricken horses whinny and flee while Stetson-wearing cowboys and grizzled farmhands shoot Winchester rifles—aiming, of course, for the head.

All the while, director George A. Romero stands by, grinning. See, this is the set of Romero’s latest—and, as of this writing, still officially untitled (though many sources currently list it as ISLAND OF THE DEAD)—living-dead adventure, an action-oriented horror film that also functions as, believe it or not, a Western.

That’s right. A zombie Western.

Taking its cues from one of the director’s favorite vintage Hollywood oaters, William Wyler’s 1958 Gregory Peck/Charlton Heston vehicle THE BIG COUNTRY, Romero is fashioning a kind of mini-epic of modern-day zombie mayhem, liberally ladled with large doses of gritty Wild West style and attitude. Set in an island off the east coast of North America, Romero’s script details the conflicts between two warring rural families (à la the Hatfields and the McCoys), engaged in an escalating battle, with the ever-multiplying hordes of flesheaters akin to the kids caught in the middle. “The juxtaposition of the cowboys and the zombies is interesting,” executive producer and longtime Romero collaborator Peter Grunwald tells Fango. “This is a Western set in this made-up George Romero world.”

Although many early reports claimed that the new film would be a direct sequel to Romero’s first-person-camera ghoul apocalypse DIARY OF THE DEAD, it most assuredly is not. Although, beyond sharing members of DIARY’s production team, there is a narrative connection. “We originally contemplated doing a proper, thematic and visually similar follow-up," Grunwald continues, “but seeing as none of George’s previous zombie films were real sequels, we felt we should stay true to that. That said, we’ve carried over one character from DIARY who, at the very least, ties this new project together with it on some level.”

Said connection comes in the form of actor Alan Van Sprang, who reprises his brief role as Nicholas “Nicotine” Crocket, a renegade member of the National Guard in DIARY (and who played a similar role in Romero’s LAND OF THE DEAD). In this picture, however, Sprang takes center stage, turning his shady, thieving survivor into the story’s reluctant quasi-hero. “By the time you meet Nicotine, he’s seen it all,” Van Sprang says of his gun-toting, government-rejecting alter ego. “I’m not sure if he’s a hero in the true sense of the word, but he’s the one rallying the troops, trying to stop the dead from breeding. Basically, he smokes a lot while trying to save the world, one zombie at a time.”

The new film (which features gruesome makeup FX by Greg Nicotero and the SAW sequels’ Francois Dagenais, is scheduled to wrap shooting in early November; Be sure to keep logging on to Fangoria.com for up-to-the-minute updates."

zombie commando
11-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Cool man. Thanks for the news. I feel like the zombie genre is getting a bit oversaturated. I'd rather have a few really clever, solid zombie flicks a year than a dozen different uninspired zombie flicks with different backdrops. The more I hear about this flick the less excited I get. I have a feeling it'll be like Diary of the Dead for me. I'll put it off untill the hype is completely dead, then chekc it out as a cheesy treat a while after it's been on DVD.

MMyers89
11-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I'll check it our for sure, but I don't have my hopes up, which is sad, considering like 5 years ago, news of new Romero zombie flick was a big deal and got everyone excited. I mean, remember when the news finally broke that Romero was doing a follow up to Day. That was horror history. Now it seems like he is just churning them out. I still have that hope in the back of my mind that he's still got it, and we will get some awesome zombie movie outta this, but it's not likely.

Torgo
11-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I'll check it our for sure, but I don't have my hopes up, which is sad, considering like 5 years ago, news of new Romero zombie flick was a big deal and got everyone excited. I mean, remember when the news finally broke that Romero was doing a follow up to Day. That was horror history. Now it seems like he is just churning them out. I still have that hope in the back of my mind that he's still got it, and we will get some awesome zombie movie outta this, but it's not likely.

These are pretty much my thoughts. I think the idea of a Western zombie movie is very interesting, tho.

zombie commando
11-05-2008, 09:53 AM
These are pretty much my thoughts. I think the idea of a Western zombie movie is very interesting, tho.

It's not really a Western though. They were just comparing it to one in terms of the way things are setup, but even the comparison sounded pretty weak to me.

Count_Sarge
11-06-2008, 07:42 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-10-30-romero-zombies_N.htm?csp=23&RM_Exclude=aol

Apparently Romero is saying his new zed film will be more like Dawn, with more action. Which makes me excited but then again he does says this: "Diary was like Night. It had a brooding personality,"

Comparing Diary to Night?:crazy:

zombie commando
11-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Yup, he's getting a bit senile haha.

MMyers89
11-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Some promotional artwork/poster...

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/afmnews.php?id=8355

zombie commando
11-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Some promotional artwork/poster...

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/afmnews.php?id=8355

That George in the front?

The poster is ehhhhh.....

Torgo
11-07-2008, 07:39 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-10-30-romero-zombies_N.htm?csp=23&RM_Exclude=aol

Apparently Romero is saying his new zed film will be more like Dawn, with more action. Which makes me excited but then again he does says this: "Diary was like Night. It had a brooding personality,"

Comparing Diary to Night?:crazy:

Yeah, Diary couldn't touch Night if it's life depended it on it. I still think there is some sort of conspiracy involved and that it wasn't really made by George Romero.

zombie commando
11-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I think when he's talking about Diary as being like Night he's talking about the lack of studio involvement and the way he basically had free reign to do what he wants. I'm thinking he needs someone to rein in his pigeon holed rants about the government and those damn punk kids.

Torgo
11-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I think when he's talking about Diary as being like Night he's talking about the lack of studio involvement and the way he basically had free reign to do what he wants. I'm thinking he needs someone to rein in his pigeon holed rants about the government and those damn punk kids.

Absolutley. Social commentary was fine in the first three, now it's just getting to be a bit much.

zombie commando
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Absolutley. Social commentary was fine in the first three, now it's just getting to be a bit much.
Now it comes off ham fisted. Before it was way more subdued. It was easy to read it multiple ways. Now Romero basically pops on to the screen and yells at you about what his movie is about. Part of the fun in art is figuring out what it means to you, not having messages shoved down your yap trap.

Count_Sarge
11-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Now it comes off ham fisted. Before it was way more subdued. It was easy to read it multiple ways. Now Romero basically pops on to the screen and yells at you about what his movie is about. Part of the fun in art is figuring out what it means to you, not having messages shoved down your yap trap.

I agree 100%:nodsmile::bow::yeah:

MMyers89
11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Some more assorted images, and synopsis:

http://blog.movieset.com/2008/11/07/exclusive-romero-poster-and-images-from-afm/

Silverpsycho
11-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Well said.

I'm not so sure what to think of this new Romero Dead film, but I'm always willing to give everything a chance. I didn't love Diary but I most certainly enjoyed it for what it was.

With this new project, I'm not liking the new poster but at least some of the images give off a fairly good impression. It's too hard to tell just yet as to how this project will turn out.

I'll remain positive but not overly optimistic. That's all I can do with Romero these days. Unfortunately nothing could ever top or even match the original Dawn. That would be a flippin' miracle.

Thank you for supplying all the great info and links MMyers89 :)

Hawkwind
11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
sounds good to me, I hope he keeps making em. He does a good job even if Diary of the Dead wasnt as good as his other 4 zombie flicks. Compared to the new zombie films it was pretty good and a fun idea. Ill watch any zombie film he makes.
-God

zombie commando
11-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Fuck....seeing those images....I can't help but be just a little curious about this outing.

I'm such a fool for the living dead. Damn you Romero you smut peddling cranky old coot!

Rich
11-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Zombies in Hawaii! Zombies in Hawaii! I can definitely go without another Diary of the Dead, but if George A. Romero is actually making Island of the Dead as a direct sequel to his legendary series (so far ending in Land of the Dead) that would be a welcome film in my book! Let's hope for another pairing of Romero and Universal Studios and another theatrical release with a nice edition on Blu-Ray to follow.

They should infest the Ala Moana shopping center. I would love to see zombies in Waikiki!

Island of the Dead baby! Go George!

Twisted Sister
12-03-2008, 09:37 AM
OH JOY!
"The premise of the film bears heavy resemblance to Lucio Fulci's 1979 film Zombi 2 and Bruno Mattei's Island of the Living Dead."
OOOooooooo! :):nodsmile::bow::krad::banana::jump::jump:

Maybe....maybe the zombies will come out of a volcano!! Huh Chris? Huh??

Khan
12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I like the sound of this. :D

Twisted Sister
12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Jer can you work on getting the Squad cameos? Make yourself useful? :)

spindrift68
01-05-2009, 10:57 PM
First promo footage

http://videos.voltagepictures.com/Trailers/ofthedead1.mov

Count_Sarge
01-06-2009, 07:51 AM
First promo footage

http://videos.voltagepictures.com/Trailers/ofthedead1.mov

Hmmm.......I would say something but, I realize the film is still in post-production. So amnot saying nothing. :han:

MMyers89
02-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Kind of an "anti-update" from AITH:

http://joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=15503

The update is, it still doesn't have a title. Even George Romero doesn't know what it will eventually be called... Plus, it's really about Palestine.

That's what iF Magazine found out when they talked with the Zombie King and asked him what the status of the title is, as it still sits at ...OF THE DEAD.

"They will probably want something on it, but that’s just been the working title. Even the backs on the director’s chair said “… OF THE DEAD” and we haven’t decided on anything yet."

Romero goes on to discuss what awful trait of humanity's this new film will subversively undercut.

"It’s about tribalism. It’s about war. It’s about people unable to hang up their guns and keeping their gloves on in the face of this crazy thing. I guess it’s about Palestine. It’s tribalism."

Take that, Palestine! (And f*ck you too, tribalsm!)

crystalreman69
02-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Despite the disappointments of the above mentioned DEAD movies. I still excitedly anticipate a ROMERO "DEAD" movie. One of them will hit sooner or later...:smoke:

MMyers89
05-23-2009, 10:56 AM
New gorey still from ...Of the Dead:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/31793/bloody-new-still-george-romeros-dead

raydelancey
05-23-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm down for a new Romero zombie flick. I'm glad it's not a sequel to DIARY but I didn't mind that film. I like it for the most part.

Count_Sarge
05-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Wow! Partical effect...I haven't seen thoses in awhile.

MMyers89
07-21-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=17511

"I had come to accept GEORGE A. ROMERO'S ...OF THE DEAD as the title for the zombie king's newest dead fest, but I guess I have to get over it, as the flick's title has just been announced via the Toronto Film Festival's official site. Ready?

SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD.

Not only that, they've slapped up a few new pics - which I've helpfully passed along to you - and a detailed synopsis; read that below. As for the title, I'll live with it (pun intended). At this point, there are really no new and exciting places you can go with the "...of the dead" angle. SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD is a nice bit of irony, especially considering where the story seems to go.

To check out the full Toronto Midnight Madness line-up, head on over HERE.

In a world where the dead rise to menace the living, rogue soldier Crocket (Alan Van Sprang) leads a band of military dropouts to refuge from the endless chaos. As they search for a place " where the shit won’t get you, " they meet banished patriarch Patrick O’Flynn (played with zeal by Kenneth Welsh), who promises a new Eden on the fishing and ranching outpost Plum Island. The men arrive, only to find themselves caught in an age-old battle between O’Flynn’s family and rival clan the Muldoons. It turns out that Patrick was expelled from the isle for believing that the only good zombie is a dead zombie, while the Muldoons think it’s wrong to dispatch afflicted loved ones, attempting to look after their undead kinfolk until a cure is found. But their bid for stability on the homestead has turned perverse: the undead are chained inside their homes, pretending to live normal lives – and the consequences are bloody. A desperate struggle for survival will determine whether the living and the dead can coexist."

Torgo
07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=17511

"I had come to accept GEORGE A. ROMERO'S ...OF THE DEAD as the title for the zombie king's newest dead fest, but I guess I have to get over it, as the flick's title has just been announced via the Toronto Film Festival's official site. Ready?

SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD.

Not only that, they've slapped up a few new pics - which I've helpfully passed along to you - and a detailed synopsis; read that below. As for the title, I'll live with it (pun intended). At this point, there are really no new and exciting places you can go with the "...of the dead" angle. SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD is a nice bit of irony, especially considering where the story seems to go.

To check out the full Toronto Midnight Madness line-up, head on over HERE.

In a world where the dead rise to menace the living, rogue soldier Crocket (Alan Van Sprang) leads a band of military dropouts to refuge from the endless chaos. As they search for a place " where the shit won’t get you, " they meet banished patriarch Patrick O’Flynn (played with zeal by Kenneth Welsh), who promises a new Eden on the fishing and ranching outpost Plum Island. The men arrive, only to find themselves caught in an age-old battle between O’Flynn’s family and rival clan the Muldoons. It turns out that Patrick was expelled from the isle for believing that the only good zombie is a dead zombie, while the Muldoons think it’s wrong to dispatch afflicted loved ones, attempting to look after their undead kinfolk until a cure is found. But their bid for stability on the homestead has turned perverse: the undead are chained inside their homes, pretending to live normal lives – and the consequences are bloody. A desperate struggle for survival will determine whether the living and the dead can coexist."

I'm liking the sounds of it so far. I think this series can only go up after Diary. It'd be very hard to make one as bad as that again, and since this one isn't shot on shitty digital camcorders, it should be at the very least, watchable, like Land. I'm hoping for something on par with Day of the Dead, tho. Not holding out for another Dawn or Night, but that'd be nice too!

storyteller
07-21-2009, 09:58 PM
George Romero is a faded talent, This will most likely suck monkey nuts.

bucketaxl
07-27-2009, 03:21 AM
can't wait for the movie

Chomp_on_this
07-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Yea...this movie looks eons better than Diary. I can't wait!

discvader
07-27-2009, 05:36 PM
George Romero is a faded talent, This will most likely suck monkey nuts.
After the last movie, I tend to agree with you there, although it's tough to swallow. :(

MMyers89
09-04-2009, 11:16 PM
First clip:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=18198

I dunno, it looks kinda iffy.

clarrissathetee
09-08-2009, 07:51 PM
arrrgh , I want to like his movies, really I do, but why does all this extra unrealistic shit keep popping up in his movies? ok i know im talking about fiction to begin with, but starting with land of the dead you had , zombies who keep in mind rot and decompose, but were getting smarter and learning, again, i know its fiction, but I cant even wrap my mind around how a decomposing corpse is supposed to evolve, then you have the zombies being mesmorized by fireworks thing.......arrrrgh

as far as diary, I liked it ok, the zombies were poor looking, and i didnt like that at least twice in the movie, that a zombie was knocked out momentarily, again, its decomposing , getting weaker every second, it you cut it or shoot it their wounds dont heal, but they can be knocked out and wake up? arrrrrg

Im not a romero hater, but it just irritates me to death when these silly things are put in. I hope its cool tho

Silverpsycho
09-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh man, that clip is pretty cheesy.

Romero has had okay ideas but unfortunately they are being executed poorly with a crappy cast and an extremely low budget. Sometimes that has worked in his favor but apparently it isn't now. I enjoyed Diary but I sure didn't love it. This new one looks like it'll be loaded with lame gags, with over-the-top silliness. I'm keeping my hopes up though because it is Romero. I'll always respect and love his early zombie films, but man...this new stuff hasn't even scratched the surface of what that man is capable of.

I was one who preferred The Zombie Diaries, which was leaps and bounds better than Romero's Diary.

I don't know, I still want to believe that Romero has one more epic project in him that will reach fans. I've been crossing my fingers and hoping it'll see the light of day.

Nibbz
09-09-2009, 01:38 PM
looks crappy

TheShape'78
09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't take zombie movies seriously anyway, so I am sure I will enjoy this.

-mitch-

Torgo
09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
First clip:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=18198

I dunno, it looks kinda iffy.

Is that a joke?

Damn, I was diggin' the atmosphere but as soon as the fisherman showed up it looked like..., well, something really lame. Here's hoping it works in the context of the movie.

wyatt s
09-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't know, I still want to believe that Romero has one more epic project in him that will reach fans. I've been crossing my fingers and hoping it'll see the light of day.

I would like to believe that Romero has one more classic in him as well, but I think he needs to try and find a decent budget and a decent cast. I'm not calling for name actor's at all, as I actually think that's one of the downfalls of Land of the Dead, but he needs actor's that don't seem like he picked them out of a second year drama class.

As for this movie, I'm saddened by it really. Not because I'm positive it'll suck or anything, because I don't know for sure, but because I'm not at all excited for it. I remember way back when Land was still in production and I was waiting for it to come out, it was extremely exciting. The idea of Romero returning to the genre after so long just seemed amazing...and now I just don't really care. That upsets me more than anything else.

Silverpsycho
09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I feel the same and it bums me out as well.

Yeah I remember being disappointed by Land, but I don't consider it to be all that bad. Sure, I'd much rather put on Night, Dawn or Day but Land brought something nice and different to the table. Diary tried but just came out half assed. Unfortunately I'm not all that jazzed about Survival because these newer projects seem like films done by Romero fans. Nothing wrong with a good fan film, but I expect more out of Romero.He's the man with a message and instead of getting his point across in a subtle extraordinary fashion as he used to propose, now it's just complete silliness that I can't take seriously, even to a mild degree. Maybe just reading the script would be better?

Oh well, like I said...I'm crossing my fingers for something cool in the future but I'm not holding my breath for it.

wyatt s
09-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah I remember being disappointed by Land, but I don't consider it to be all that bad. Sure, I'd much rather put on Night, Dawn or Day but Land brought something nice and different to the table. I enjoy Land for what it is. It's a decent zombie film from Romero that, as far as I'm concerned, never even had a chance to be near as good as that original trilogy. But at least that movie seemed professional, had a semi-decent cast for the most part despite the use of "names", and most of all felt like it had a budget.
Diary tried but just came out half assed. Like I said previously, diary of the dead's biggest downfall for me is the acting. I liked that it was a cast of relative unknowns but at the same time the actor's just weren't that good. They came off like amateur theater performers. I also have to admit that the extreme heavy handedness of Romero's message just felt clunky.

In looking at this film it just feels like more of the same. A minuscule budget and second rate actor's. And I gotta say, looking at the trailer the film just looks more and more like a Day of The Dead retread. And not in a good way.

Khan
09-09-2009, 02:41 PM
I may be a huge Romero fan, but I don't expect classics out of him anymore, just something I can enjoy.

MMyers89
09-09-2009, 02:53 PM
It's sad that I'm no longer excited for a new Romero zombie film. In the years and months before Land came out, it was a huge deal in the horror community. Now, Land isn't quite on par with the original trilogy, but I think it has that Romero feel, and I think it fits in the series as a very worthy fourth entry and follow up to Day. But Diary, man that was dissapointing. It looked and felt cheap and cheesy. I didn't like the way it was put together. Sure, the documentary style footage could have worked, but the whole thing with the girl narrating it, as if she was the one who edited it was very hokey. And now, with Survival, there is somewhere in me that is excited for it, hoping that Romero can make another awesome zombie film. That clip isn't helping though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Silverpsycho
09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I enjoy Land for what it is. It's a decent zombie film from Romero that, as far as I'm concerned, never even had a chance to be near as good as that original trilogy. But at least that movie seemed professional, had a semi-decent cast for the most part despite the use of "names", and most of all felt like it had a budget. Like I said previously, diary of the dead's biggest downfall for me is the acting. I liked that it was a cast of relative unknowns but at the same time the actor's just weren't that good. They came off like amateur theater performers. I also have to admit that the extreme heavy handedness of Romero's message just felt clunky.

In looking at this film it just feels like more of the same. A minuscule budget and second rate actor's. And I gotta say, looking at the trailer the film just looks more and more like a Day of The Dead retread. And not in a good way.
That's what I meant when I said half-assed. Good idea that was executed poorly. It just didn't translate well through the cast and poor budget. I appreciated the message though, but I've only watched it once and I haven't been tempted to go back anytime soon.

Also I wasn't all that fond of Land when it first came out, but I enjoy it more and more each time I decide to give it another watch. It's loads better than Diary...at least to me.

wyatt s
09-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Land was kind of strange for me. I was extremely excited for it before it came out. I remember following the production the whole way, looking at every image that popped up online, and really just geeking out over a Romero zombie film actually being in production. But somehow when it came out I guess I'd burned myself out on the idea or something, so I'd kind of lost interest. Then when I saw it I remember walking out of the theater having enjoyed it but feeling kind of "meh" about it overall. And as time went on I started to actually dislike it quite a lot. Now, however, after having viewed it many times on DVD I've come to like it quite a lot.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that this newest film can at least rank up there with Land. If so, I'll be entertained and satisfied.

Torgo
09-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Land was kind of strange for me. I was extremely excited for it before it came out. I remember following the production the whole way, looking at every image that popped up online, and really just geeking out over a Romero zombie film actually being in production. But somehow when it came out I guess I'd burned myself out on the idea or something, so I'd kind of lost interest. Then when I saw it I remember walking out of the theater having enjoyed it but feeling kind of "meh" about it overall. And as time went on I started to actually dislike it quite a lot. Now, however, after having viewed it many times on DVD I've come to like it quite a lot.

Anyway, I'm just hoping that this newest film can at least rank up there with Land. If so, I'll be entertained and satisfied.

I walked out of the theater thinking, damn, it's kind of sad that the Dawn of the Dead remake, which I hated the idea of initially, kicked the living shit outta the real Romero zombie movie.

wyatt s
09-09-2009, 04:35 PM
You and I disagree tremendously. I liked the Dawn remake just fine, but it's really nothing more than a surface deep piece of entertainment. It's well made, I'll give it that, but the picture really is kind of mindless fun. Land of the Dead on the other hand has some intellectual themes mixed in with it's violence and gore. Those themes aren't handled nearly as well as they were in Romero's original Dead trilogy but they are still there if you look for them...but then this really isn't the thread for this debate, haha.

Bearscubsfan87
02-23-2010, 10:06 AM
The new Romero movie will get a limited Us theatrical release. I just read the one-page article at the beginning of the latest Fango, has anyone else?

Silverpsycho
02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
So it's basically the same scenario as with Diary of the Dead, eh? I'm not surprised but I was thinking it would be a direct to DVD sort of deal.

No, I have not seen the latest Fango but I'll try and check it out. They always sell out fairly quick at my local Barnes & Noble.

Dingo
02-24-2010, 01:44 AM
So it's basically the same scenario as with INSERT ROMERO ZOMBIE MOVIE HERE, eh? I'm not surprised but I was thinking it would be a direct to DVD sort of deal.

Fixed That For you! :laugher:

C'mawwwwnnn!! Its zombies and romero...who cares! Cant wait to see it!
Zombie Band FTW!

Bearscubsfan87
02-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I did some research and the movie will have a Video on Demand release before its US theatrical release.

atomic dog
02-24-2010, 01:05 PM
any dates?

MMyers89
02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Threads been done ;)

http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=13999

atomic dog
02-24-2010, 02:11 PM
i thought so. Merged.

Silverpsycho
02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Fixed That For you! :laugher:

C'mawwwwnnn!! Its zombies and romero...who cares! Cant wait to see it!
Zombie Band FTW!
Not exactly, since every Romero film hasn't gotten a poor release in theatres...basically being direct-to-DVD releases. Diary of the Dead only made it to two movie theatres around me and they were at fairly far distances.

Also you actually found Diary of the Dead decent and in the ranks of Night, Dawn, Day and even Land? In comparing recent zombie flicks, The Zombie Diaries was far far better than Diary of the Dead.

True, I am usually a Romero fangirl but I most definitely speak up when I find his work disappointing and as of late, it has been.

The Frightmaster
02-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Official One Sheet Debut for George A. Romero's 'Survival of the Dead'

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/19278

By: MrDisgusting

"Survival isn't just for the living is the sweet tagline for Survival of the Dead, George A. Romero's latest zombie flick premiering on VOD, XBOX Live, Playstation and Amazon on April 30th before taking over theaters on May 28 from Magnet Releasing. Gearing up for the release, beyond the break you'll find our exclusive look at official one sheet! The plot involves inhabitants of an isolated island off the North American coast who find their relatives rising from the dead to eat their kin. The leaders of the island feud over whether or not to kill their reanimated relatives or preserve them in hopes of finding a cure. Check out the poster below and tell us what you think about it!

"Immediately following the events of "Diary of the Dead," "Survival of the Dead," is the 6th film from George A. Romero to look at a world where humans are in the minority and the zombies rule.

Off the coast of Delaware sits the cozy Plum Island where two families are locked in a struggle for power, as it has been for generations. The O'Flynn's, headed by patriarch Patrick O'Flynn (Kenneth Welsh) approach the zombie plague with a shoot-to-kill attitude. The Muldoons, headed by Shamus Muldoon (Richard Fitzpatrick), feel that the zombies should be quarantined and kept 'alive,' in hopes that a solution will someday be found.

The O'Flynn's, who are clearly outnumbered, are forced to exile Patrick by boat to the mainland, where he meets up with a cynical band of soldiers, headed by Guardsman Sarge (Alan Van Sprang). They join forces and return to the island, to find that the zombie plague has fully gripped the divided community, and the body count is rising.

As the battle between humans and zombies escalates, the master filmmaker continues to reinvent the modern horror genre with wicked humor and pointed social commentary."

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3382/timthumb1y.jpg (http://img442.imageshack.us/i/timthumb1y.jpg/)

Scarface
02-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Ugh. I've known a couple of peeps that have seen this and said it's even worse than Diary of the Dead (which I really fucking hated). I do value their opinion, but I love Romero too much to pass on one of his films without seeing it first. I'm just going to watch this with really low expectations. The poster doesn't look promising.

Torgo
02-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Ugh. I've known a couple of peeps that have seen this and said it's even worse than Diary of the Dead (which I really fucking hated).

Is that even possible?

I'm very weary of this. But I'm sure curiosity will get the better of me at some point.

atomic dog
02-26-2010, 01:01 PM
i'll see it no matter what. it's romero. what more could you ask for?

tripprivers
02-26-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm kinda liking the poster actually. And yeah Ive read some similar reviews but will still give it a good watch - I really like the theme in this story as well.

The Frightmaster
02-26-2010, 01:06 PM
I heard this is gonna be a limited release. If it is, I hope it comes to my theater because it would be the first Romero Dead film I would see in theaters.

Torgo
02-26-2010, 01:31 PM
i'll see it no matter what. it's romero. what more could you ask for?

A movie, at the least, on par with Day of the Dead. Hell, I'd take on par with Land of the Dead at the moment.

Scarface
02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah, while I disliked Land of the Dead, I didn't hate it. So the least I could hope for this to be would be something on par with Land of the Dead. However, there are plenty of signs that have been pointing in the direction of it being on par/worse than Diary. I really do hope that I can find some enjoyment out of the film when I watch it.

The Dark Shape
02-26-2010, 04:46 PM
I haven't come across a single person I trust who liked it less than Diary.

Brimstone
02-26-2010, 04:52 PM
That one sheet looks like something that was photo shopped lol

The Frightmaster
02-26-2010, 04:59 PM

Yeah the one sheet is pretty :lame: and amateur looking.

Muse
02-26-2010, 06:02 PM
I've read about this movie, and from what I've seen, it looks so shit. Romero's lost his way. Land of the Dead was somewhat entertaining, I assume because a lot of it was what was taken from back in the 80's, and the original Day script. He can't write for shit anymore, unfortunately. Diary was awful, one of the worst zombie movies I've seen.

I'll be giving this a chance, but straight to DVD, coming off the back of Diary, with it looking as it does, I have very low to no expectations from it. Unfortunately.

Torgo
02-26-2010, 06:15 PM

I'm sure it was. Most are, nowadays.

MMyers89
03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Here is a new trailer. Still looking iffy to me:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=21009

Torgo
03-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Here is a new trailer. Still looking iffy to me:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=21009

Looks like a full fledged comedy to me.

Muse
03-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Oosh, it just looks worse and worse... I'll be waiting for this dvd to get stuck in the sales, I think =/

Steven Lloyd
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
I haven't seen this movie, but my dad was a Locations PA on it, so I have this cool plastic banner thing. The thing is, the poster says "BLANK OF THE DEAD", since at the time of filming, they didn't know what to calll it.

MMyers89
03-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Three new clips. I only watched the first one with the fire extinguisher, still not lookin' too good.

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=21149

Scarface
03-13-2010, 04:57 PM
God. Is it possible for this to look worse than it already is? I think those clips proved so. I'll probably just Netflix this rather than buy it. It doesn't look worthy of buying.

Roswell
03-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Those clips were agonizingly awful. At least when Romero used CGI in Land Of The Dead it was somewhat convincing. This...this is just bad.

Lee SR
03-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Superb film. Its an excellent comedy.

Roswell
03-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Superb film. Its an excellent comedy.

Is it supposed to be a comedy? Cause if so, it still fails. You'd certainly think they'd play up the comedy if that was the case.

Lee SR
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
The cartoon killings/violence cracked me up.

Scarface
03-20-2010, 09:22 AM
This was either the greatest satire or the worst serious zombie film. Georgie; what the fuck happened, bro? You're probably the only person I can say that has delivered both the best and (one of) the worst zombie films I've seen. I had the misfortune of watching this garbage a week back. Despite my lack of enthusiasm for the project (just see my previous posts in this thread), I'm not sure what compelled me to watch it. I suppose because the Romero fanboy in me was like "Do it. You know you want to."

Avoid this garbage. It shames me to speak like that about a Romero film, but the dude has been off the tracks for a good 20 years or more. Even for those of you that liked Diary of the Dead (god bless your souls), I'm not even sure you'd dig Survival. Seriously, some of the stuff in this film is so over-the-top/campy/goofy, that it's hard to imagine that it wasn't intentionally done that way. If Romero set out to create a comedy/satire of himself, then I'd say he succeeded. There are going to be moments where you go "Did that really just fucking happen?" Not in a good way, either.

Overall, I give this a 3/10. There were some good gory bits, but this film doesn't really have much else to offer.

Torgo
03-20-2010, 01:37 PM
This was either the greatest satire or the worst serious zombie film. Georgie; what the fuck happened, bro? You're probably the only person I can say that has delivered both the best and (one of) the worst zombie films I've seen. I had the misfortune of watching this garbage a week back. Despite my lack of enthusiasm for the project (just see my previous posts in this thread), I'm not sure what compelled me to watch it. I suppose because the Romero fanboy in me was like "Do it. You know you want to."

Avoid this garbage. It shames me to speak like that about a Romero film, but the dude has been off the tracks for a good 20 years or more. Even for those of you that liked Diary of the Dead (god bless your souls), I'm not even sure you'd dig Survival. Seriously, some of the stuff in this film is so over-the-top/campy/goofy, that it's hard to imagine that it wasn't intentionally done that way. If Romero set out to create a comedy/satire of himself, then I'd say he succeeded. There are going to be moments where you go "Did that really just fucking happen?" Not in a good way, either.

Overall, I give this a 3/10. There were some good gory bits, but this film doesn't really have much else to offer.

I think his movies just haven't translated well to modern movie making techniques. he's old school all the way, and he's trying to do something he either doesn't have the budget for or doesn't have the skills for. At least that's my theory.

I still love the first three, tho. no matter how shitty these installments are, the first three are among my favorite horror movies/favorite movies PERIOD.

Silverpsycho
03-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Oh...my...God. :bigeyes:

After watching those clips, I find myself laughing but that is in no way a good thing when it comes to a Romero zombie flick. Are you kidding me?! The music, the movement of those zombies and even though it's pretty small to fully take notice of it, the effects look pretty darn bad.

With that being said, I still honestly can't say it looks worse than Diary of the Dead. That one didn't stay with me, I didn't like the characters and at least that seemed to be an honest attempt to remain serious and contain a message...obviously shoved in our faces and not subtle like other installments. I think Romero is having fun...maybe? I have no idea where he's going with this one and even though it looks bad and I'm not expecting a damn thing of it, I'll still give it a go of course. Just wow though, I was not expecting those clips, haha. I mean the last one I'd expect from a Sleepaway Camp sequel with a mega cheesy line but Romero?! Man!

Captain Mal
03-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Terrible "Oirish" accents. Generally terrible acting. Nothing in the way of satire. Nowhere near as good as Diary (which says it all really) BUT, I did laugh my ass off at it. Sad to see Romero reduced to this. 2/5 :(

Scarface
03-22-2010, 08:59 AM
It's sad, because I like Windom Earle. I always thought that guy would have one hell of a career thanks to Twin Peaks. Instead, he appears in garbage like this.

atomic dog
03-22-2010, 12:40 PM
it's going to dvd before the theater run? why?

Scarface
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
What theater would play this? haha.

The Dark Shape
03-23-2010, 12:13 AM
I dug Survival way more than Diary. Its tongue was firmly in cheek the whole way through.

MMyers89
03-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Redband trailer. Doesn't look as bad here, but I hate, hate, HATE the CGI.

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=21394

spindrift68
03-29-2010, 07:56 PM
I can't wait to see Survival! The trailer looks really good.

Captain Mal
03-30-2010, 02:32 AM
I can't wait to see Survival! The trailer looks really good.

Reel that in a bit. It's funny and not as bad as I'd feared but it's still so far removed from the quality of something like Day of the Dead that it's all a bit sad.

Rich
04-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Romero needs two things: a bigger budget these days and Tom Savini or KNB. Land of the Dead was awesome!

He has nothing left to prove though. He's just making a pay check now.

Muse
04-25-2010, 05:28 PM
It is funny how after Land, everyone, me included, said he worked better with smaller budget's, cheap movies that looked cheap and focussed more on plot. Since then we've got two more movies that were just what we all asked for, and I wont speak for Survival as I've not even bothered with it, but Diary and from what I've read of Survival... they're his two worst films so far, by a loooong way. haha. I'd kill for another flick on the same level as Land now, but I think even that's a pipe dream. Though I am still one of the few who'd rather stick on Land than Day any time. Much more fun.

Rich
04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Inflation plays a huge part. George made Day of the Dead for $3million in 1985. You could barely make a trailer with that little money now-a-days. $3 million in 2010 is not what it was in 1985.

Look at movies like Blair witch and Paranormal Activity. Diary is way better then them but that isn't saying much. That type of micro budget does not work anymore because now-a-days everything is more expensive then what it was back then and the dollar is not worth as much as it used to be.

Scarface
04-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Yikes. I wouldn't say Diary is way better than Blair Witch at all. Or even Paranormal Activity. At least the actors weren't terrible in those films. It's all about the execution. Romero just can't execute a movie like he used to. For all we know, Diary and Survival started out as brilliant scripts. haha.

Muse
04-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Diary and brilliant don't belong in the same sentence... haha. In execution, it tried to be too different, and too modern. In story, it tried to be too modern. Romero's just an old guy now. It's like when your grandparents try using a PC for the first time, it just doesn't work! Instead of just sticking to the basics, he's trying to keep up with today, and he can't. The Strangers, I know, very different type of film, but that proved that simple still works. Don't have to be modern, or different. If Romero just came up with a simple story, with good characters again, I'm sure he could still make a good zombie flick. Although I base my hope on Land's quality, which may be a mistake, because Land was probably only as good as it was because most of the elements were taken from the original ideas for Day, written in his prime. I just think we've seen all what Romero has to offer now, unfortunately. Anything else now is just a way for him to make a few more $$.

MMyers89
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Does this hit DVD and Video on Demand here in the States on April 30th? I've seen places that say one or the other, but not both.

MMyers89
05-03-2010, 11:10 AM
So I finally watched this last night. It was much, MUCH better than Diary. I quite enjoyed most of it, actually. Common complaint, it has been mentioned to death, but the CGI was bad. Hated that. I wish Romero would keep it old school, or just get rid of the gore. All the practical stuff looked awesome when it was there. He should just leave that stuff in, and if he is too lazy to do the rest practically, just leave it out. The tone was definitely "Romero-esque", something that was sorely lacking in Diary, I thought. It was tongue in cheek, yet not overly comical. It had a dark side. I was pleasantly surprised with this. It wasn't perfect, and it is by no means a classic, but it was a nice little zombie film.

atomic dog
05-03-2010, 12:14 PM
how did you watch this?

MMyers89
05-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Video on Demand on Comcast. It was released that way on April 30th. You just order it on your TV.

atomic dog
05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I think I will

Captain Mal
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Watched it again. Still can't get past the shitty Irish accents but zombie postman almost saves everything ;) 2/5...still.

atomic dog
05-16-2010, 06:17 AM
i got to see this last night. i liked it. i even laughed at some of the scenes. although the cgi was very obvious, it's good to see romero back at it again.

The Dark Shape
05-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Saw it again. Still really like it.

Brimstone
05-29-2010, 04:11 PM
It wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as we all know Romero can do.At least it was better then Diary of the Dead but much like Diary,I couldn't feel that magic I felt when watching Night,Dawn and Day.Even Land had that Romero feel but not as much as the original movies.Some of the things in this movie just seemed to come out of left field too.Such as the whole twin sister thing.Overall it wasn't bad but nowhere near as good as it could have been. 3/5

El Rooto
06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Pretty weak film.

But funny. Especially the fishing scene.

Why not let zombies keep their dignity intact, Mr. Romero?

Bearscubsfan87
08-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Who is making this a day 1 purchase?

Khan
08-22-2010, 04:08 PM
It depends on the price.

I haven't seen it yet, and the fanboy in me wants it on the first day, but getting it for less is sounding more appealing right now.

Bearscubsfan87
08-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Best Buy and Amazon have it for $16.99 on blu-ray.

Frazetta
08-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Can't wait to rent this on Tuesday! I've heard a lot of really good things about it.

SLAB
08-22-2010, 06:20 PM
It's better than Diary, but that's not saying a hell of a whole lot.

MMyers89
08-22-2010, 08:55 PM
It is a HELL of a lot better than Diary. Diary was pretentious, pseudo-artsy, overly preachy bullshit. Survival at least felt like a fun, tongue-in-cheek, Romero zombie film, despite the shitty CGI. If it had Savini effects it could have been very good, I think. It's got an old school comic book style to it. The cheesy Irish accents, the dark humor, all that just reeks of old school zombie goodness.

Silverpsycho
08-22-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm about to check it out. Wish me luck, haha.

I'm not sure what to expect but I haven't been overly optimistic since Land of the Dead. Romero peaked with Dawn of the Dead and it's been slightly downhill from there. No, I am not saying Day is shit by any means, but I need to be in a mood for it and even then, it's mainly because I really enjoy certain parts...not exactly in its entirety, as some parts just really drag. I have really enjoyed them all, with an exception to Diary of the Dead because it didn't exactly have the whole Romero feel. It felt more like a Sci-Fi, or I guess I should say SyFy, original. After that, my expectations are super low for Survival, but I have this feeling I will end up liking it. I have this feeling that anything is a big improvement from Diary...mainly because the cast didn't sit with me right. Good idea executed in a poor fashion. I'm used to Romero delivering a message but I agree with others...it was a little too preachy.

Silverpsycho
08-23-2010, 03:05 AM
Well I just finished watching and I honestly don't know what I thought of it. Yes, it's better than Diary, but wasn't better than Land.

I did manage to like and care for a small handful of characters throughout this one. That is a big plus for me, especially since I didn't like one out of the bunch in Diary. If I don't care about at least one character, the movie is crap and never holds my interest.

The overall look was decent, with an exception to CGI lameness as pointed out previously in here. However, I was expecting that so it didn't necessarily get to me that much. What was done was definitely a waste of money and didn't enhance the given scenes at all.

Some of the following don't exactly need tags but still...just in case.

Cons:
-The silly Hatfield Vs. McCoy theme was really cheesy.
-Jane the twin zombie riding the horse.
-Tomboy masturbating in the beginning. Sorry but WTF? So random and out of place. Plus establishing her sexuality was all for not because even though rehashed a couple times, it never lead into anything...so why even bother to point it out in the first place?

Pros:
-The gore...especially the ripping of the guy in half towards the end. Definitely reminded me of Rhodes in Day to an extent.
-The look of the dead. That blue/grey tone with bloody scars and gaping wounds.
-The woodsy island farm. Pretty neat setting for this movie. It helped set the mood and tone so at least it was enjoyable to watch...even if the action wasn't all that plentiful and exciting.

After this, I guess I don't necessarily want to see Romero give up zombies. Maybe let up on the "_____ of the Dead" title but I can tell he still has fun making these things. Sure, they have sucked in recent years but I managed to enjoy this one to an extent. I still believe Fido, The Zombie Diaries and Zombieland to be much better than this, but I still love seeing projects come from Romero...no matter how they turn out. I guess that only goes to show the fangirl in me. I'll always support whatever the heck he decides to give us, but I will most definitely admit when it sucks.

So okay Romero...maybe one more. :D

Captain Mal
08-23-2010, 04:24 AM
LMFAO. This is a terrible, terrible film and easily the worst of the lot. The acting was putrid, the accents were embarrassing and it looked like a student film at times. The only thing that kept me watching was the humour which I will admit hit the spot quite a few times. Reckon Romero needs to hang it up now or at least stop with his "dead" obsession as the movies are getting progressively worse.

Chomp_on_this
08-23-2010, 05:20 AM
While I agree that Romero’s latest entries in the “Dead series” are certainly not up to par to the standards set up by the original trilogy, I certainly do not wish for the man to “hang it up”. I think it’s absolutely remarkable that Romero is 70 years old doing what he loves to do, and what he loves to do is make movies…and the fact that he’s regularly still able to make movies ON HIS TERMS and still have people flock to them is astounding and almost unheard of in this day in age.

So if Romero wants to do 10 more zombie movies or perhaps a Deep Red remake, I don’t care…I’ll still watch. It doesn’t mean I’ll necessarily enjoy each one, but I think it’s quite admirable that he is 70 years old and still making movies the way he wants to make movies.

Let's see what you're doing when your crickety old bones turn 70, eh?

atomic dog
08-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Let's see what you're doing when your crickety old bones turn 70, eh?

... hopefully still watching romero flicks. :bastard:

Captain Mal
08-23-2010, 06:14 AM
and the fact that he’s regularly still able to make movies ON HIS TERMS and still have people flock to them

Flock? Really? Highly generous there Chomp.

Chomp_on_this
08-23-2010, 06:46 AM
How so? George Romero was (and still is recognizable as) one of the biggest names in horror cinema.

Are you telling me if George Romero's name wasn't attached to the film, you would have sought out Survival of the Dead at the same pace as you did? I know I wouldn’t have. I was excited as hell to see Survival, so much that I preordered the barebones Region 2 release about a month prior to its release date. There’s no chance in hell I would have done that if Survival wasn’t a George Romero directed flick.

The guy has legions of fans (including me) who will continue to F-L-O-C-K (yes, I said FLOCK) to see his movies in whatever way they need to. And I know I’m not the only one.

Muse
08-23-2010, 07:51 AM
I think he just means that, in 1985 (I think?) when Day came out.. that's when people were "flocking" to see this guys movies. Now, since Day, he lost some fans, after Land, quite a few more, after Diary... it hit the fan base hard. He still has a lot of dedicated followers but hardly enough to consider them flocking to see the new flick. I'd say it's more a former hardcore fanbase, slowly approaching the movie, praying it's not-so-bad.

Look at Jeremy on here, (Darth Khan, formerly Darth Tyranus), he's probably the biggest zombie/Romero fan I've ever known, and look at this quote from him on the last page:

I haven't seen it yet, and the fanboy in me wants it on the first day, but getting it for less is sounding more appealing right now.

The fans ain't a flocking no more. Sorry, but he's lost his flock. Just an average sized scattering of worried fans that are turning out day one now, amongst the small numbers like yourself who, and fair play to you, still enjoy what he's putting out.

Rich
08-23-2010, 08:09 AM
The movie comes out tomorrow. I liked all of his dead films. Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead were great movies. Diary of the Dead was an okay concept film, but there was a film called Zombie Diaries which did the "Diary of the Dead" idea a lot better, with al due respect to George Romero. I can't wait to see Survival though. Romero also made the original version of The Crazies, Creepshow, and Martin, which were all great movies too.

Captain Mal
08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
I think he just means that, in 1985 (I think?) when Day came out.. that's when people were "flocking" to see this guys movies. Now, since Day, he lost some fans, after Land, quite a few more, after Diary... it hit the fan base hard. He still has a lot of dedicated followers but hardly enough to consider them flocking to see the new flick. I'd say it's more a former hardcore fanbase, slowly approaching the movie, praying it's not-so-bad.

Look at Jeremy on here, (Darth Khan, formerly Darth Tyranus), he's probably the biggest zombie/Romero fan I've ever known, and look at this quote from him on the last page:

The fans ain't a flocking no more. Sorry, but he's lost his flock. Just an average sized scattering of worried fans that are turning out day one now, amongst the small numbers like yourself who, and fair play to you, still enjoy what he's putting out.

In a nutshell Muse.

I was one of the scattering who bought this when it came out but I won't be buying anymore "dead" movies after this, it's just too painful :(

Muse
08-23-2010, 08:37 AM
I bought all through to Diary, and to be honest, Diary was the only one I thought was shit. But, it was so shit that it's put me off wanted to pay for Survival. I'm going to wait until it comes on TV or something, give it a chance when I don't have to pay. I really liked Land. More than Day. Day was a decent idea, executed poorly for me but, that's not the point here.

Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are two of the greatest horror movies ever made, imo, and to see that the man who made them has come to Diary, and Survival from what the trailer looks like, it's saddening. It's not even just stories that aren't as good. There's no atmosphere to these recent ones, they're trying to be different and failing, there's just nothing in them which made the first two such classics. I'll always love Romero for his early work but he's not getting a penny off me for anything made after Land without knowing it's worth it.

Khan
08-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Day was a decent idea, executed poorly for me but, that's not the point here.

See what you can do when your budget is slashed in half over an MPAA rating concern. ;)

As for Survival Of The Dead, I have had lowered expectations of his films since Land came out.

You aren't going to pump out horror classics all the time, especially later in your career.

Chomp_on_this
08-23-2010, 09:55 AM

Let's get things straight here...you need to go back and read my thoughts on Survival, I am very much in the same camp who say that Romero's directing abilities are pretty much a shell of its former self...then again, other than his Dead trilogy, I never found Romero to be that great of a horror director. Survival was not good. I am merely applauding Romero for continuing to do what he loves to do at his age...and giving the finger to the naysayers who say he should stop. Romero has expressed that Diary and Survival are the first two films since Night that he has had complete creative control, thus making them the purest form of GAR. How many "bigger named" horror directors can honestly say they have made a complete film without any creative restrictions?

As for the whole flock thing...now maybe our definitions of "flock" differ slightly. If you're talking Star Wars numbers, well then I can see why you are not understanding what I am saying. As long as George makes films that people seek out and watch on the sole basis of his name being attached, regardless if after they thought it was good, bad, or ugly... I consider it a flock. And with over 4,000 ratings on IMDB before the U.S. release date of the film, I'd say that's a pretty reasonable flock.

Captain Mal
08-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Let's get things straight here...you need to go back and read my thoughts on Survival, I am very much in the same camp who say that Romero's directing abilities are pretty much a shell of its former self...then again, other than his Dead trilogy, I never found Romero to be that great of a horror director. Survival was not good. I am merely applauding Romero for continuing to do what he loves to do at his age...and giving the finger to the naysayers who say he should stop. Romero has expressed that Diary and Survival are the first two films since Night that he has had complete creative control, thus making them the purest form of GAR. How many "bigger named" horror directors can honestly say they have made a complete film without any creative restrictions?

Land of the Dead is his best post Day of the Dead. Perhaps "creative restrictions" is precisely what's required here?

Chomp_on_this
08-23-2010, 12:44 PM
No. Land of the Dead had a $16 million dollar budget and was written over a longer period of time. Parts of Romero’s original Day of the Dead script were also used in the Land script. That’s why Land is better…better script, more preparation, and bigger budget to pay more talented (recognizable) actors.

Diary and Survival were made relatively (too) fast and filmed in a guerilla-esque fashion using Canadian (amateur) union actors…that and Romero isn’t the director he used to be. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out why Land fared better than Romero’s two other modern entries to the Dead series. No offense Canadians.

But I have come across many fans who think Survival is the best of the three post 9/11 Dead films…while I wouldn’t go as far to say that, I do however, find it better than Diary. But like I said previously, none of them hold a candle to the original trilogy…times were different and Romero had a better head on his shoulders.

Khan
08-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I find the studio element to be a down side of Land at times.

When I met Romero at Fan Expo, I asked him how he felt about it, and he said that it "was ok," so even he must have issues with it.

Diary doesn't lend itself to multiple viewings in my experience and I agree that the characters (and actors) are weak compared to the previous Dead films.

Chomp_on_this
08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Totally agree Jeremy…

Romero also continues to focus his story on the evolution of the zombie rather than making the humans and their interaction with each other the focal point of the tale. This started with Day and has progressed like a disease into the most recent entries of the Dead series, in which Romero refuses let go. I think that’s partly to blame for the reason Romero keeps missing some of the marks in his recent films. Poor characterization cuttled with “blah” actors is just a recipe for disaster.

Astro_Creep
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
I watched it. It's pretty bad, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Khan
08-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Totally agree Jeremy…

Romero also continues to focus his story on the evolution of the zombie rather than making the humans and their interaction with each other the focal point of the tale. This started with Day and has progressed like a disease into the most recent entries of the Dead series, in which Romero refuses let go. I think that’s partly to blame for the reason Romero keeps missing some of the marks in his recent films. Poor characterization cuttled with “blah” actors is just a recipe for disaster.

Diary is the only entry in his ongoing series (less Survival) that I can't pick a favorite character from.

This seems to happen to all of the horror legends though, as Argento, Carpenter, Craven and others aren't faring that great these days.

Captain Mal
08-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Diary is the only entry in his ongoing series (less Survival) that I can't pick a favorite character from.

This seems to happen to all of the horror legends though, as Argento, Carpenter, Craven and others aren't faring that great these days.

Yep, none of them are growing old gracefully. I really wish Romero would stop making more "dead" movies as he's not getting any better and it's just sad to see a genuine pioneer reduced to this shite.

Chomp_on_this
08-24-2010, 05:44 AM
You can’t write off Argento and Carpenter completely. Carpenter hasn’t made a full-length feature in almost 10 years. However his two episodes for Masters of Horror were extremely well done and were pure Carpenter in every shape of the form. And while I thought Argento’s Mother of Tears was rather poor, Sleepless was phenomenal and showed probably the most “true to form” Argento….plus the score by a reformed Goblin was great. And I think Giallo gets better the more times you watch it. As for Craven….well, he peaked with The Hills Have Eyes, so, there’s not much in defending him.

Times are different….technology is different. You can’t expect these guys to be turning out films like they were doing in the early 80’s…practical effects have been replaced by CGI, stock film has been replaced by digital, cinematography has been replaced by shaky cam and quick edits, the Casio Keyboard has been replaced by fully orchestrated soundtracks, great character actors have been replaced by “blah” Canadians and underwear models. It’s extremely understandable why these guys aren’t able to recapture what once was,… all of their tools have been replaced and they are completely out of their element. And on top of that they get disrespected by fans who say they should quit their passion of film making because they are unable to recreate the same experience as Halloween, or Suspiria, or Dawn of the Dead. That’s bullshit.

See, I’ve come to terms with all of that…I’m just glad they’re still able to do what they love to do and that there is and always will be an audience for them. Regardless if the product they turn out is questionable. In fact, I find it damn interesting to see what these Masters of Horror can create in modern times. Seriously…I’d rather discuss the ineptness of Diary of the Dead over how dull and cliché the next flash-in-the-pan remake is going to be.

Scarface
08-24-2010, 08:33 AM
All of their tools haven't been replaced. They are still able to use them. There's really no excuse not to. Romero has stated his preference for CGI simply because he doesn't have the energy to deal with practical effects anymore. Carpenter just seems like he doesn't care much these days except for a paycheck. Argento just half-asses his stuff. I'll gladly take another remake over another Diary of the Dead, regardless of how much "passion" is put into it.

Chomp_on_this
08-24-2010, 09:12 AM
All of their tools haven't been replaced. They are still able to use them. There's really no excuse not to. Romero has stated his preference for CGI simply because he doesn't have the energy to deal with practical effects anymore.

Read what you posted…you just answered why Romero is unable to use practical effects anymore. CGI is also easier to use when your shooting schedule is 23 days as that of Survival. When you’re crunched for time having 3-4 day practical effects shooting time is out of the question. So that and the fact that shooting practical effects takes a toll on Romero is not excuse enough?

Carpenter just seems like he doesn't care much these days except for a paycheck.

Ummm, where is it evident that Carpenter “doesn’t care anymore”? Especially when Carpenter has The Ward is in post-production and L.A. Gothic in pre-production…And recently he’s been attending various conventions to interact with his fans.

Do you mean he doesn’t care about being involved with the remakes of his films? Why should he? He’s made them perfectly before, why should he feel the need to go back and do it again?

Argento just half-asses his stuff

Intelligent assessment there…how long did it take the hamster wheel to spin for that one? Why do I get the feeling you haven’t even seen an Argento film? LOL.

I'll gladly take another remake over another Diary of the Dead, regardless of how much "passion" is put into it.

If you’d rather fund and support big business mediocrity over a horror legend, well, that’s fine by me.

The Frightmaster
08-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Do you mean he doesn’t care about being involved with the remakes of his films? Why should he? He’s made them perfectly before, why should he feel the need to go back and do it again?

Well, actually he was involved with the remake of The Fog. I think the reasoning being that he was never happy with how the original turned out. Which I would strongly disagree with, I love The Fog. But anyway back to Romero. lol

El Rooto
08-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Carpenter said that his involvement entailed walking on-set, saying "hi", and collecting a check, and that was it.

The Frightmaster
08-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Special Interview with 'Survival of the Dead' Director George A. Romero!

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/21416

By: Chris Eggertsen

Today B-D caught up with iconic horror director George Romero to discuss the Blu-ray/DVD release (8/24) of the latest in his series of Living Dead films, Survival of the Dead, which had a run on small screen formats (VOD, Amazon, Xbox Live, the Playstation Network) before moving into a theatrical release earlier this year. Inside you can check out what the director had to say about the allegorical slant of the film, getting back to small-scale moviemaking, and the future of the Living Dead franchise.

BLOODY DISGUSTING: In most of the 'Living Dead' films, there's some kind of an allegory at work. So what's the allegory in this one?

GEORGE A. ROMERO: I'm afraid I have to be a little long-winded here. After I made the first four films, the last one, 'Land of the Dead', was sort of the biggest budget, and it was Hollywood, and even though Universal was good about it – I mean, they basically let me make the film they wanna make – it was a bit discouraging cause the distribution was sort of lackluster, and I was frustrated, and I wanted to go back to the root. And I had this idea even while we were shooting 'Land of the Dead'. I wanted to do something about emerging media, citizen journalism, and all of that. So I had this idea for 'Diary of the Dead' and I figured I could make it for very low bucks.

And we found these partners, a company called ArtFire, who were willing to finance it as long as it was under $4 million. So we were able to do it for around $2.5 [million]. And because we did it so inexpensively, even though it had only a limited release, it wound up making a fortune worldwide, after videos and everything else. So they wanted another one, so I said 'uh oh'. Cause I wasn't used to…the ideas have always come first, I mean the underlying theme, except for the very first film, which I hadn't sort of found my roots yet. But the ideas always come first. So now all of a sudden I have to make one of these without inspiration, so to speak. [Laughs]

So I said 'now what if ['Survival'] makes a lot of money, and they're gonna want another one?' So I had this brainstorm that I would take minor characters from 'Diary'. And I developed three storylines that I could use and this is the first one. Now, I don't know if the other ones are gonna get made, but I'm ready to do them, if this film winds up making a lot of bread. So I have to use them in [service of a] sort of a more universal theme, not necessarily something that was in the news, although conflicts are always in the news.

So what this one's about is feuds…enmities that don't die, wars that start and people forgot why they started [them], but they just know, 'you're my enemy!' And you know, you can think of it as Northern Island, or the Middle East, or the U.S. Senate. It's just about these automatic enmities that people develop. And that's basically the theme of this film.

I'm enamored with the idea of trying to do a couple more of these, if it happens. And I'd like to do them in different styles. So this one, because I have these two old guys…I thought of this old William Wyler Western called 'The Big Country'. And I got the production designer and the D.P. and everybody together and we all watched it. And I said, 'why don't we make it sort of look like that?' So we went widescreen, 2.35, didn't mute the colors, so it had sort of a Western flavor to it, even though it's contemporary. On this island I decided to do away with cars and use horses. [Laughs]

So it's a conceit, but it makes it more fun for us as filmmakers. And if we do another one, I don't know. Maybe I'll try to do it noir, or…I don't know. But I love just sort of playing with the medium that way. There's also a lot of humor in this film. It's right out of Chuck Jones' playbook, there's a lot of sort of really 'Looney Tunes' moments in this thing. So I guess leave me alone and give me the creative control, and what you get is…you know, you can blame me for it all the way. You know, I never know if this stuff is working. They're all little conceits and fun that I'm having, and I hope that it's fun for the audience too.

B-D: You really do seem to be going back to your roots as far as making these films on a very small scale, independently...

Oh, very. I mean, there's no comparison. I would live here if I could. If we get to make these other two ['Dead'] films I'd be in hog heaven, man. I'd love doing it, I'd love having the controls again. I mean, I really haven't had that kind of experience since the very, very early days, and it's great, you know? You feel like you're really doing your own work, and you're able to do whatever you want to do. So there's nothing like it. And it's liberating for the rest of the crew too, cause they don't have to, you know, wait for memos to go through. [Laughs] They can just come to me and ask me a question. So it's just so much easier. It's not even so much about where do you spend the money, it's about where do you not spend the money, which is just as important as where you spend it. More important, I think.

B-D: I was interested after hearing this was shot in the style of an old widescreen Western how you felt about the fact that it premiered on Video on Demand and other small-screen formats before going to theaters. Do you feel anything was lost watching it on a small screen?

Well, I think it is. Although I've never been one of these guys that says, 'oh, you have to see a movie big screen'. That's just never been my thing. I presume it was letterboxed, so at least you get the whole image. But I've never been adamant about that in any way, actually. You know, you make movies on a small screen, so you never see them big until it's too late…you wind up using your instincts to interpret or translate what it's gonna look like when it goes big. But I'm always amazed, actually…my stuff, when I see it big there's always a couple of little things that don't work exactly right. It's so hard to make decisions on a small screen…particularly cutting decisions. You know, where they eye moves…or you want to move the audience's eye. And when you see it big it's just so different…so I didn't mind that. I hope it was letterboxed, I don't know.

B-D: It's definitely a departure from 'Diary', which was pretty much shot the opposite way.

Very much, yeah. Oh, very much. [Laughs] No, this was really trying to look like an old Hollywood Western. A big old sprawling kind of Western. And the D.P. just did a sensational job with it. I mean, I can say it cause I didn't do it. It's really a beautiful-looking film.

B-D: Talk about the extras on the DVD. There's a 'Walking After Midnight' documentary, what is that?

Beats me. [Laughs] That's all it says?

B-D: Yeah, under the specs it lists a 'Walking After Midnight' documentary and a 'Sarge' short film.

Yeah, no, generally I don't. I do all of the interviews and commentary and all that, but I generally have nothing to with producing that stuff. So I'm not sure what any of it is…I've heard that it's really great stuff. I've heard that there's a documentary on there about making the film which is really accurate and a lot of fun, but I haven't seen it yet. I don't' have a copy of it yet.

B-D: So you might be watching it for the first time with the rest of us.

On the extras, certainly.

B-D: You mentioned there are a couple other minor characters from 'Diary' that you'd follow for the next two. For the next film, which character would that follow?

Well I'm not sure. I have two storylines…I don't know if you saw 'Diary of the Dead', but there are these African-American guys who are also sort of deserters, who are looters. That would be one group. And the blonde that gets away in the end…she wasn't a minor character but she survived and takes off after the other guys lock themselves in the mansion. I'm also intrigued with the idea of being able to re-use characters and have them meet up with each other again and re-use story points and so forth. I've never been able to do that because the first films are all owned and controlled by different people. So I've never been able to sort of bring characters back. You know, I'd like to see Big Daddy' while he was alive. I'd like to see 'Bub' while he was still alive. But I can't do it because I don't own it.

B-D: I heard you mention in another interview that you and your partner were developing another non-zombie horror movie. And I was wondering if you could talk at all about that.

Well, I can't really tell you the storyline because it's sort of a one-trick pony and I'm trying to keep it secret. But it's a non-zombie horror film, and for the first time really in my whole career…you know, people call me the 'scare guy' and I don't think of my movies as scary at all. Not since 'Night of the Living Dead' when I was trying to sort of get under your skin a little bit and make it kinda creepy, I've sort of gone comic book with everything, and the scares are just sort of tricks, you know? Loud sounds, quick movements…they're not the kind of films that get under your skin. So this is a psychological drama, it's psychological fear. We're working on it right now. In fact, I've been writing the script. I should have it finished in a couple of weeks.

B-D: Can we expect any kind of an announcement on that soon?

Oh, I don't know. You know, if 'Survival' winds up making a shitload of money, I'll be doing a couple more zombie films. I'd be happy to do that, I mean it's the closest thing that I've ever had to sort of having a job and knowing what I'll be doing for the next two years. So I would welcome it if it happens. If it doesn't happen, we'll chase this one…if it's not zombies when it's me, it's much harder to find the financing, you have to sort of jump through hoops and convince people the project's worth doing. And at my age, I don't know. I've sort of had it with that. You never earn a platinum card in this business. You have to always convince people and do the pitches and all of that, and I'm no good at that but…anyway, as far as announcing it I don't know. We'll see.

Mr. Bruce
08-24-2010, 09:43 AM
... I can't find this movie on BD anywhere in town.

Scarface
08-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Read what you posted…you just answered why Romero is unable to use practical effects anymore. CGI is also easier to use when your shooting schedule is 23 days as that of Survival. When you’re crunched for time having 3-4 day practical effects shooting time is out of the question. So that and the fact that shooting practical effects takes a toll on Romero is not excuse enough?

I never said I didn't understand why. I was responding to you saying all of their tools have been replaced. If anything, I'm agreeing with you that they are out of their element. Romero should simply retire if he doesn't even have the energy to wait around for practical effects. Yes, he's passionate about making films and nobody should stop him, but why would he want to continue if it's burning him out? If you have the energy to make a film, then you have the energy to endure all kinds of criticism. I can care less if he's too old to make a film and use practical effects. That's not going to make me enjoy Diary or Survival.

Ummm, where is it evident that Carpenter “doesn’t care anymore”? Especially when Carpenter has The Ward is in post-production and L.A. Gothic in pre-production…And recently he’s been attending various conventions to interact with his fans.

Gee, maybe the fact that, on more than one occasion, he's mentioned that he loves the paycheck, which gives people the impression that's the only reason he has a "career" anymore. Carpenter is one of my favorite directors, but even I can see that he isn't putting forth the same care he once had into his films. He's been on that path since the '90s. The Ward, in script form, is mediocre. I'm hopeful it will turn out good, but judging from Carpenter's last few theatrical outings, I'm not setting my expectations too high. And what does him attending conventions have to do with anything? All that says to me is the man wanted some cash. Otherwise, why hasn't he done it all the time? Why does he charge quite a bit for autographs?

Never said that.

Intelligent assessment there…how long did it take the hamster wheel to spin for that one? Why do I get the feeling you haven’t even seen an Argento film? LOL.

Why do I get the feeling that you haven't seen Argento's films from the past 20 years? I wasn't speaking of ALL of his films. Just his more recent outings. Shit, shit, and shit. I've seen them all. If you like them, good for you. He's got maybe two films that I'd say were decent since the '90s.

\If you’d rather fund and support big business mediocrity over a horror legend, well, that’s fine by me.

Yes, because every remake that gets made is mediocre trash. Nice assessment, dude. Good for you! Me, I'm not as close minded. I don't give a shit whether a film is a remake or not. I give a shit whether or not I think its good. And you know what? Half of the remakes coming out these days are better than some of the crap Argento, Carpenter, and Romero are making these days. Just because they are horror legends, doesn't mean they still live up to the title. I don't care what excuse they have for why their products are turning out poor. Shit is still shit.

Chomp_on_this
08-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Jesus…responding to that would be a complete waste of energy. It’s all arbitrary garble and vague adjectives. Nothing you said is backed up with any examples or evidence as to why anything is crap. All you say is they are crap…I have no idea why you think its crap or even what you think is crap. My advice to you is to find a thesaurus.

Most of the recent remakes are the very definition of mediocrity…they are all recycled with the same formula and redistributed as a different remake for the sole purpose banking on what once was. If you think these fast-paced re-envisionings even hold a candle to the originals in even the most rudimentary sense of the term film-making, then please take a sledge hammer to your DVD player. Case in point…The TCM remake and the Friday the 13th remake are damn near identical in terms of story, metaplot, characters, and even music! Just watch those two back-to-back one time…practically the same movie just different characters.

But whatever…I’m going to stop here because it’s getting way off topic and I don’t want to derail this thread any further. I just hope that when I turn 70, I can find and create something in the same vein as Romero views his creation of the new Dead films. They may not be his best work, but as long as he’s doing what he loves to do and getting people talking…I say more power to him.

Scarface
08-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Whatever, dude. I never said remakes hold a candle to the original, but go ahead and read what you want to read. After all, your opinion is your opinion and mine is mine. I think most of their films from the '90s and up have been shit. It would be a waste of time to actually sit here and specifically point out which ones and why to cater to your needs. I have better things to do.

Captain Mal
08-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Carpenter has said several times he's all about he greenbacks, he obviously doesn't care anymore which is a shame :(

However Romero needs a slap in the head for this quote "So what this one's about is feuds…enmities that don't die, wars that start and people forgot why they started [them], but they just know, 'you're my enemy!' And you know, you can think of it as Northern Ireland, or the Middle East,"

Do your fucking homework George. People involved in these feuds know exactly why these feuds started. Ignorant IDIOT!

Bearscubsfan87
08-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Picked this up yesterday, hopefully I'll get to watch it later.

Rich
08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
This movie was awesome as hell! To me it was a perfect example of the constant debate about capital punishment. You have people who just want the zombies dead. Then you want people who want to keep them alive but in a controlled environment. I think both sides have valid points, but you've got to ask the tough questions.

To those who feel the zombies should just get shot,

Who gave you the right to choose whether or not another creature has the right to exist or not?

To those who feel that the zombies should be keep alive in controlled environments,

What happens when those controlled environments get over populated and can no longer contain the issue?

Rich
08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
o your fucking homework George. People involved in these feuds know exactly why these feuds started. Ignorant IDIOT!

I don't know if I agree. I think there are people in the middle east that are simply born into jihad. They may not even know why they are fighting, only that they were brought up to.

Anyway, I think this film is a perfect example of political division.

Rich
08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
ost of the recent remakes are the very definition of mediocrity…they are all recycled with the same formula and redistributed as a different remake for the sole purpose banking on what once was

When you put it that way it makes it seem like the remakes of today are not much different then the sequels of the 80s.

Captain Mal
08-26-2010, 01:04 AM
I don't know if I agree. I think there are people in the middle east that are simply born into jihad. They may not even know why they are fighting, only that they were brought up to.

Stop watching Fox News.

Rich
08-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Fox News has nothing to do with it. I can tell you to stop watching CNN and then we would be right back where we started. The fact is there are people in the world who are rules by harsh dictators who are born into things that they really don't even know why they are. Kids get bombs strapped to them and don't even know what is coming. It is sad really.

To a lesser degree it even happens in our own country. There are still white people who raise their kids to not like black people. The kids who are being taught grow up with hate and they don't even really know why. All they know is that mom told them to hate so they do. The same can be said about many different races. Out here in Hawaii, I am see as the hoele from he mainland and who doesn't belong. I get singled out because of it all the time. It isn't fair, but it is reality. And it is all because of how kids are brought up and the history that is taught.

Captain Mal
08-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Anyone who straps a bomb to themselves believes hard. They know exactly what they're doing and why they're doing it. As for my own home, Ireland. I can assure you anyone caught up in the troubles knows exactly why they are there regardless of which side they are on.

Torgo
08-27-2010, 08:27 AM
It was alright. Not nearly as bad as Diary, not as "good" as Land, but nowhere NEAR the first three, which I was expecting going in.

The acting in this is considerably better than Diary, as that was one of the big turn offs for me for that movie (in addition to the home video feel which is an atrocious idea for a Romero zombie movie).

Anyway, it's passable. It has its own feel, like an old west zombie movie at times, so it's quite different than all the others, which is a plus. I loved the practical f/x when they were used, but they weren't really used enough. I agree with everyone else who thought the CGI was atrocious. I know these aren't "official" sequels to each other but I kind of wish they CGI element was never brought in, just because it makes them feel so different than the original movies.

It's a good looking movie, tho. Unlike Diary it looks like an ACTUAL movie, so that is a big plus. I think the movie really picks up during the climactic gunfight.

My big beef is that except at the end, I never really felt like the zombies were that much of a threat. In the other movies they would go by the wayside also, but here I felt even when they showed up they weren't very threatening. There wasn't much HORROR in this move, it felt more like a comedy/drama about warring factions, with zombies thrown in occasionally.

It's an okay movie, Romero still obviously has things he wants to say, but his ways of saying them these days just don't seem to be quite as interesting as back in the day. Maybe these movies need more age on them before people start to appreciate them more (altho I would disown Diary if I were him...eeek, no way can I watch that one again).

I'd give it 2 out of 5.

Mr. Bruce
08-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Does anybody else have a problem with their disk? Mine skips at the end.

Khan
08-30-2010, 01:03 PM
For some reason, it doesn't come out here until tomorrow, but I went ahead and pre-ordered from Amazon.ca anyways as part of a mass order, so hopefully it ships out with my other DVD's.

Pug-a-Licious
08-30-2010, 01:23 PM
I disliked it, SERIOUSLY disliked it. IMHO I thought Diary was much better.

Femanizer
08-30-2010, 01:42 PM
I disliked it, SERIOUSLY disliked it. IMHO I thought Diary was much better.

I thoroughly agree with you, I HATED Survival. Thought it was ridiculously bad. And the effects were so cartoonish they completely ruined anything the movie might have had going for it.

The Hatfield/McCoy storyline doesn't work in horror when will filmmakers just give it up. It didn't work in Pumpkinhead 4, it didn't work here.

In my opinion Diary was ten times the movie this piece of trash was.

Survival of the Dead :EthelBird:

Captain Mal
08-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Diary was better. Fucking accents in Survival were enough to piss me off.

Silverpsycho
08-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Damn, you guys are making me want to watch Diary again after reading these posts. I should watch Diary and Survival back-to-back for a major shit-fest and then decide upon the crappier movie.

While both pretty bad, from what I remember, I wasn't interested in the Diary cast...not a single person. The acting felt fake and I never felt convinced or tangled up in the story. It's important that I feel involved and motivated to give a damn. At least there's a hint of that in Survival...or so I believed there was. It's been awhile since I've seen Diary though, so I should definitely give it another try since I own the damn thing.

Astro_Creep
08-30-2010, 07:51 PM
I watched Diary not that long ago and I thought it was better than I remembered.

MMyers89
08-30-2010, 08:07 PM
That's weird because I watched Diary again after not having seen it in about a year and turned it off because I really just couldn't handle it. What a waste of money. I'd easily rather own Surivival than Diary. Survival just didn't take itself too seriously... it felt more like an old B movie, whereas Diary took itself waaaaaaaay too seriously, but it was just so... bad.

Pug-a-Licious
08-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I thoroughly agree with you, I HATED Survival. Thought it was ridiculously bad. And the effects were so cartoonish they completely ruined anything the movie might have had going for it.

The Hatfield/McCoy storyline doesn't work in horror when will filmmakers just give it up. It didn't work in Pumpkinhead 4, it didn't work here.

In my opinion Diary was ten times the movie this piece of trash was.

Survival of the Dead :EthelBird:

You know how I hate to agree with you Kris ;) But seriously this was how I felt about it (shocker yes, we agree).
:bk:

A Dumb Question
08-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I liked Survival, although I preferred Diary. I like that Romero has returned to the no-budget approach for these midquels, and I especially appreciate the continuity that these entries hold.

He made his trilogy. He made his epilogue. Let him make these side-stories.

Rich
09-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I think that Survival of the Dead is probably the best zombie movie I have seen at least since Land of the Dead. I just love George's style. He is the guy who invented the flesh eating walking corpse zombie and he is the one who still does it best. Though I must say that Dead Snow was another great modern zombie movie.

Femanizer
09-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I enjoyed Dead Snow a thousand times more than Survival. I couldn't find anything to like in Survival

A Dumb Question
09-02-2010, 08:01 PM
That's because you're a heretic.

Femanizer
09-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I'm Linda Blair?

A Dumb Question
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I thought that Father Merrin was supposed to be the titular heretic...

Eh, the movie makes no sense, anyway. Lousy leopard-spitting nonsense.

Femanizer
09-02-2010, 08:06 PM
No I just thought for a minute I was Linda Blair :( It happens about once a week.

A Dumb Question
09-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Well, keep your evil jailbait persona to yourself, okay? Otherwise, you'll have to watch Repossessed.

Femanizer
09-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I prefer Hell Night :)

halo thirty one
09-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I didn't mind this one and must have liked it better than Diary of the Dead, since I never finished that one. Land of the Dead is my favorite of the recent three.

Khan
09-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I just finished watching it and I must say that Romero should stop making zombie movies.

The whole thing was meandering and pointless, with no real resolution.

Mr. Bruce
09-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I just finished watching it and I must say that Romero should stop making zombie movies.

Does any Zombie movie really have a point or resolution?

It's a good pop corn flick to put in your BD player sit back with a hottie and have a good time is it not?

Khan
09-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I can name quite a few zombie movies that actually tried to make a point and weren't just a random collection of scenes.

Yet again, I didn't connect with the characters and the "climax" of the movie was nonsense.

Mr. Bruce
09-07-2010, 06:45 PM
I can name quite a few zombie movies that actually tried to make a point and weren't just a random collection of scenes.

All zombie movies are pop corn flicks... Thats about it. If you try breaking them down and trying to make the films serious then you lose any fun for the movies.

Khan
09-07-2010, 06:49 PM
You are telling me that Romero's first three didn't try to convey some sort of message?

They also has characters that I related to.

Land had a decent plot and memorable characters, but Diary and Survival, not so much.

Femanizer
09-07-2010, 06:52 PM
All zombie movies are pop corn flicks... Thats about it. If you try breaking them down and trying to make the films serious then you lose any fun for the movies.

So, all zombie movies are popcorn flicks and if you don't like them you are wrong? Not getting the logic here.

Mr. Bruce
09-07-2010, 07:06 PM
You are telling me that Romero's first three didn't try to convey some sort of message?

They also has characters that I related to.

Land had a decent plot and memorable characters, but Diary and Survival, not so much.I'm not telling you anything other then watch the films for what they are... MOVIES.

So, all zombie movies are popcorn flicks and if you don't like them you are wrong? Not getting the logic here.IN MY OPINION all Zombie movies are pop corn flicks if you try making them into something their not LIKE REAL LIFE... Then you'll lose interest in them. And I didn't tell anybody they are wrong so don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say... Thanks.

Khan
09-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Night, Dawn and Day all have pointed social commentary that makes you think.

Hell Of The Living Dead is a silly gorefest that liberally rips off Dawn.

I can enjoy both types of zombie movies, but there is a clear difference.

You can entertain and enlighten at the same time.

Mr. Bruce
09-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Night, Dawn and Day all have pointed social commentary that makes you think.

Hell Of The Living Dead is a silly gorefest that liberally rips off Dawn.

I can enjoy both types of zombie movies, but there is a clear difference.

Yes, they are meant to entertain, but entertainment can also stir ideas in your head if done right.

I'm sorry friend but you are WRONG.
:bastard:

To me I don't really care for a plot or anything to make you think about the films. All that they need to do is put 10-20 surviors together and put them in with a shitload of slow moving zombie's thats all I care for.

Khan
09-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt...

Anyways, Survival neither entertained nor made me think, so it fails.

Mr. Bruce
09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt...

Anyways, Survival neither entertained nor made me think, so it fails.

Do you think movie directors from the late 70's made horror films with the intention's of making people think? I just don't see John Carpenter standing behind the camera filming HalloweeN thinking man I can't wait for this movie to come out and make people "THINK"....

wyatt s
09-07-2010, 07:26 PM

I wouldn't say it was pointless, he was trying to say something...but his point was so clunky, so poorly executed...and just plain overdone that it's barely worth looking at it.Plus he buried his point under goofy accents, bad FX, blah production values, and mediocre acting.

TheShape'78
09-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Plus he buried his point under goofy accents, bad FX, blah production values, and mediocre acting.

Man, I gotta see this!

-mitch-

Mr. Bruce
09-07-2010, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't say it was pointless, he was trying to say something...but his point was so clunky, so poorly executed...and just plain overdone that it's barely worth looking at it.Plus he buried his point under goofy accents, bad FX, blah production values, and mediocre acting.

The goofey accent's was kinda annoying... The FX don't look too bad to me I remember when I watched them on DVD it sucked but on BD it looks good now. The acting wasn't too bad to me either not great though. U make a movie for under 3 million dollar's now a day's, I don't expect a master peice like The Dark Knight to come out of it.

Khan
09-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Do you think movie directors from the late 70's made horror films with the intention's of making people think? I just don't see John Carpenter standing behind the camera filming HalloweeN thinking man I can't wait for this movie to come out and make people "THINK"....

Bad example and you know it.

Dawn Of The Dead was made in 1978 and it has a message to go along with the gore.

On that note, while there was some bad CGI, I did see some attempts at practical gore FX, not that it saved the movie.

Mr. Bruce
09-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Bad example and you know it.

Dawn Of The Dead was made in 1978 and it has a message to go along with the gore.

It's a perfect example.

And since you like bringing up the message's so much what do you think they are then?

For me the message is Survival. The same exact thing they try doing in this.

wyatt s
09-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Please. Romero has always had messages and social commentary built into his films. Denying that is just silly. Night was about the new society devouring the old society, a sort of riff on counter culture in a lot of ways. On top of that it touched on racism, and people's inability to work together and solve a problem.

Dawn of the dead was, though a comic book movie, very intelligent. It was a satire on American consumerism. With lines like "They just know they want to be in here. The Don't know why, the just do" Or something to that extent (I know that's not the line, but you know which I'm talking about) it's hard to not see the message.

Khan
09-08-2010, 04:15 AM
Thank you.

Day Of The Dead also touches on the military and how quickly things get chaotic when there is a lack of communication.

Mr. Bruce
09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I think you both need a take a break from Zombie movies. They're just fill in the gab storyies that are only there to make the movies an hr and a half long that nobody cares about.

Khan
09-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Then why do you watch them if they are apparently like that?

You stopped making sense a while back.

Mr. Bruce
09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Then why do you watch them if they are apparently like that?

You stopped making sense a while back.

You Canadain's never understand what makes a Zombie movie a Zombie movie...

I'll just look at Zombieland and use a quote from that... That will do pig. :)

Scarface
09-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Please. Romero has always had messages and social commentary built into his films. Denying that is just silly. Night was about the new society devouring the old society, a sort of riff on counter culture in a lot of ways. On top of that it touched on racism, and people's inability to work together and solve a problem.

Dawn of the dead was, though a comic book movie, very intelligent. It was a satire on American consumerism. With lines like "They just know they want to be in here. The Don't know why, the just do" Or something to that extent (I know that's not the line, but you know which I'm talking about) it's hard to not see the message.

Quoted for truth. Anyone denying this is just... ignorant.

I think you both need a take a break from Zombie movies. They're just fill in the gab storyies that are only there to make the movies an hr and a half long that nobody cares about.

Like this guy.

Torgo
09-08-2010, 11:05 AM

This is a bs cop out for people who can't articulate why they like/dislike a film.

With that line of thinking you're saying people should just watch and enjoy every movie ever made and not think about them because they're "Just there to watch with a hotty."

Franchise
09-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Let's get off this, gentlemen.

zombie commando
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
What if you don't have a "hotty"? Can you bring an inflatable one, because I like movies but don't always have a date.

discvader
09-12-2010, 10:05 AM
LOL, thanks for the last page. :D hahaha, too funny!

Captain Mal
09-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Anyone not seeing the social commentary in the Romero zombie flicks is either lying for the sake of argument or an idiot. I really hope it is the former. However, Survival is just a zomedy and nothing more.

Mr. Bruce
09-12-2010, 10:48 AM
LOL, thanks for the last page. :D hahaha, too funny!Anytime. ;)

Anyone not seeing the social commentary in the Romero zombie flicks is either lying for the sake of argument or an idiot. I really hope it is the former. However, Survival is just a zomedy and nothing more.
Good thing you didn't post this 4 days ago. I was having a lot of fun with 'em. LOL!

Captain Mal
09-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Anytime. ;)

Good thing you didn't post this 4 days ago. I was having a lot of fun with 'em. LOL!

Nice work, I do enjoy a good wind up. Even when on the receiving end :)

Brimstone
09-12-2010, 11:12 AM
The first time I saw this I wasn't really looking for any social commentary but after watching it for a second time it came across as pretty obvious.

Silverpsycho
09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
You Canadain's never understand what makes a Zombie movie a Zombie movie...

I'll just look at Zombieland and use a quote from that... That will do pig. :)
Please, please tell me you know that the quote "That'll do pig" actually came from a movie prior to Zombieland.

Hahaha, zomedy...I love that! :D

Plus without making jabs and getting ugly with the conversation, I will back up those who argue Romero's previous zombie films most certainly have a message. Sure, we've all seen our fair share of other zombie films like Return of the Living Dead...but I have always enjoyed the underlying message of a well done Romero movie (unlike Diary and now Survival). To deny any message is there basically means you have refused to listen to Romero and/or the cast commentaries over the past several years. Hell, I used to write college papers on the subject matter, as there's quite a bit of material to discuss concerning Romero's zombie flicks. They are more than just movies with "zombies" and other directors have followed suit with the same message, not always using zombies either. Many apocalyptic movies share the same thought-provoking material to debate. Heck, some have even been animated family films. Romero just chose to use zombies because it works so very well and obviously they have withstood time because the messages stand strong and aren't dated with what they have to say.

...and yes, I'm hardcore about my apocalyptic movies. Ever since Romero's Dawn of the Dead, I've just been into that stuff...maybe too much. Nothing has really come close to that particular movie until the material within Kirkman's The Walking Dead comics. If the reader only thinks of them as zombie comics...yeeesh! It's about the crumbling of humanity and ultimate survival. Zombie material, when good, really poses a couple questions...what is the furthest you are willing to go to survive? How do we separate ourselves from the zombies? When movies and reading material is done correctly, those questions should definitely come to mind.

Khan
09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
I find that in some of the more intelligent zombie movies, they are certianly a problem, but the characters are struggling with something else.

Society tends to break down rather quickly when faced with hordes of the undead.

Silverpsycho
09-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I find that in some of the more intelligent zombie movies, they are certianly a problem, but the characters are struggling with something else.

Society tends to break down rather quickly when faced with hordes of the undead.
I honestly believe that is included in my second question, really. Separating humanity from something animalistic...since we will never actually see literal zombies shambling/running around. I meant who will go absolutely crazy and become a former shell of themselves or remain composed to an extent, holding their shit together and still doing what it takes to survive.

I was trying to look at it from a standpoint that makes it look less fantasy-like because again...I doubt we'll see actual zombies outside our door anytime soon. I love my zombies, but come on...

Khan
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Although it won't happen (and isn't accurate), it was interesting that a strain of Mad Cow disease was the cause in Zombieland.

I agree that we aren't likely to see a Romero-type zombie in the real world, but I wouldn't put it past the scientific community to create something that had a somewhat similar effect.

Is Romero still remaking Deep Red?

Silverpsycho
09-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Although it won't happen (and isn't accurate), it was interesting that a strain of Mad Cow disease was the cause in Zombieland.

I agree that we aren't likely to see a Romero-type zombie in the real world, but I wouldn't put it past the scientific community to create something that had a somewhat similar effect.

Haha, yes that was clever and amusing in Zombieland. I enjoyed it for straying off the serious path and yet, I still loved it. While the more silly zombie movies tend to not have much of a point, there are a few that still manage to hold my interest and keep me entertained throughout. Zombieland being one of them.

Well Romero chooses zombies, but other movies have pulled off more realistic takes. Movies like Outbreak and even 28 Days Later are more believable ways of having almost the same thing happen. True, Outbreak is a seriously early stage of it all, but a stage nonetheless. Plus while 28 Days Later also gives that silly gore-for-entertainment vibe through unbelievable acts, some features are scary and convincing, as explained through the commentary. I tried to explain this at one point on the board but was laughed at because the readers apparently didn't read what I had to say, glanced and made out that I was saying 28 Days Later is happening and right around the corner. Nope, not what I said but what can I say, I'm used to people glazing over topics and rewording what they want to read.

As for Romero's Deep Red, I honestly don't have any idea. I'll admit, I'm usually last to know with any new projects of his. I love the guy, but I haven't been all gung-ho about news since Land of the Dead.

MMyers89
09-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Nope:

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=23693

DeadLightPro
09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Thought it was a decent enough sequel to "Diary." The first part really hooked me in, but the last half just seemed to drag on and on.

Was it the best Romero zombie movie? By no means. Was it a decent continuation of the franchise post-Diary? Definitely. Is it up there with Night, Dawn and Day? No.

blacksymbiote
07-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Is it worth seeing this if you didn't really enjoy Diary much? I fell asleep trying to watch Diary a couple of times before making it all the way through.

Captain Mal
07-19-2011, 05:11 AM
Is it worth seeing this if you didn't really enjoy Diary much? I fell asleep trying to watch Diary a couple of times before making it all the way through.

It will break your damn heart. Romero is done :(

TheThirdHalf
07-19-2011, 06:44 AM
It will break your damn heart. Romero is done :(

So true...

Khan
07-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I own it, but have no urge to watch it again.

SLAB
07-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Then you should develop an urge to sell it. :)

Khan
07-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Some people own HR for the sake of completing the collection. I am like that with Romero's "Dead" movies.

SLAB
07-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Some people own HR for the sake of completing the collection. I am like that with Romero's "Dead" movies.

Oh, you completists. :roflmao:

Bearscubsfan87
07-19-2011, 10:32 PM
While it pails in comparison to other Romero films, its still better than a lot of the other horror films out there now.

SLAB
07-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Even if it doesn't smell as bad, shit is still shit.

Bearscubsfan87
07-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Even if it doesn't smell as bad, shit is still shit.

Ah, but they're N - P - K contents may vary... :bastard:

SLAB
07-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Still came outta somethings ass. :p

Bearscubsfan87
07-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Still came outta somethings ass. :p

True, and you don't want to step in it either.

MMyers89
07-25-2011, 07:34 PM

I thought it was a hell of a lot better than Diary, so I'd say give it a shot.

zombie commando
10-04-2013, 07:55 AM
I thought it was a hell of a lot better than Diary, so I'd say give it a shot.

I agree although I can't say I didn't have bloody fun with both, but Survival of the Dead is more classic Romero.