PDA

View Full Version : Michael Lives: The Making Of Halloween

Man In Black
09-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Since the old thread got lost in the fire - a new one for separate discussion on the making of doc.

FANGORIA have posted a review:

The MICHAEL LIVES documentary that appears on the three-DVD Collector’s Edition of Rob Zombie’s HALLOWEEN (coming October 7) warrants separate review for a couple of reasons. First off, at four hours and 18 minutes, it’s longer than many movie-and-supplement disc packages combined, and second, as the only new feature on that triple-decker, it’ll be the sole deciding factor behind whether fans of Zombie’s revisit to Haddonfield will consider the set worth double-dipping for. The answer is a simple, very big yes; even those devotees who already paid for the previous two-discer of HALLOWEEN will easily feel they’ve gotten their $24.95 (or less at many on-line sites) worth just to add MICHAEL LIVES to their library.

Not only does the lengthy running time never drag, but almost none of it rehashes material seen in HALLOWEEN’s previous DVD edition (reviewed here). Distilling what must have been days of footage, Zombie (who presumably oversaw this project, though no director is credited) and editor Glenn Garland have shaped a day-by-day visual chronicle of the production in which no nook or cranny goes unexplored. It’s all here, from the early location scouts (which may make some viewers jealous that Rob Zombie never came to their house, contemplating how Michael Myers might rampage through their living room) to the reshoots undertaken three months after principal photography wrapped. The only significant area not explored is postproduction, though we do get to see Tyler Bates beginning his creation of the score.

Throughout it all, a couple of impressions are made clearly and often. One is that Zombie is an impressively hands-on, decisive filmmaker, who’s both open to collaborative ideas and unafraid to speak his mind when he thinks something “sucks.” We see him offering his thoughts on everything from design elements to acting and costume choices (just before shooting one scene at Smith’s Grove Sanitarium, he has the actors change their costumes to now indicate it will be set on a different day). The other is that Malcolm McDowell, who plays the reimagined Dr. Sam Loomis, is a hoot and a half to make a movie with. As he cracks up and entertains everyone on the set (particularly funny is his goofing around with fellow genre veterans Udo Kier, Brad Dourif and Tom Towles), it’s easy to see why Laurie actress Scout Taylor-Compton, who’s young enough to be his granddaughter, admits to having a crush on him. It’s also easy to see why at one point, after Michael actor Tyler Mane fights a losing battle to keep a straight face while a just-off-camera McDowell explains how his wife is into rubber, Zombie can be heard telling the latter to behave himself so they can get the shots done.

Interviews with every major onscreen and behind-the-scenes player are sprinkled throughout, along with endless visual anecdotes. Real bats buzz the Myers house during a night shoot; Young Michael actor Daeg Faerch seems to enjoy playing in the fake blood just a little too much; preteen extras in the school scene solicit autographs from Daryl (SPY KIDS) Sabara in between takes; Dee Wallace and Pat Skipper spend a couple of spare moments recording Laurie’s parents’ answering-machine message; the truck stop bathroom where Ken Foree battles Michael is built in the middle of the school’s gymnasium; a small tower with a partial wall atop it is built across the street from one location to cheat a through-the-library-window shot; Zombie brings one of his own taxidermy specimens to a graveyard location to serve as Michael’s crucified four-legged victim; etc., etc.

MICHAEL LIVES is packed with these kinds of fascinating little details that illuminate the ins and outs of making a movie, and even those who weren’t crazy about this HALLOWEEN will find much to enjoy here. “I’m gonna get tired of that after a while,” Zombie quips early on, answering a cell phone whose ringtone is John Carpenter’s classic musical theme; the same can absolutely not be said of this documentary.

http://www.fangoria.com/ghastly_review.php?id=7236

HEcamehome
09-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah I was gonna re-create the thread that I made a couple months ago about the documentary, but never got around to it because of school and yada yada. Anyway, I'm buying the 3 Disc Edition 100% for the Making Of. 5 hours of Michael Myers documentary goodness. Whoops, there I go drooling all over myself again....

NYCKing87
09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm definitely gonna pick this up. It deserves a spot in my library.

Torgo
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds like a winner.

The Devil's Reject
09-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Sounds like i'll have to buy another copy of RZH.

Roswell
09-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I LOVE behind the scenes stuff, so I'm definitely getting this.

OSUBuckly
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Sounds good. I wonder if the Blu-ray version will have this documentary in blu-ray too (as opposed to just the film).

Flash Over
09-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Definately getting this

Laurie2007
09-11-2008, 03:30 PM
need to get this for sure

Danny Strode
09-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah, me being a sucker, I'll be getting it.

Franchise
09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I just pre-ordered the Blu-ray on Amazon. :D

xDisciplex
09-11-2008, 07:11 PM
I can't wait for this to be released, being a film student I love behind the scenes/making of featurettes on any release.

I just hope this one has some interviews w/ the Cinematographer as well - so many featurettes don't include that - which is a shame.

Kinick
09-13-2008, 06:32 AM
Yep, I'll be getting it. The only thing left out is probably the post-production like the Rejects doc, but at 4.5 hours it certainly warrants a buy from me.

Resurrection
09-24-2008, 11:09 AM
cant wait to see this

SlasherBoi
09-27-2008, 02:40 PM
If this ever goes down to 13 dollars and If I liked the movie more I would probably consider buying the 3 disc set just to have the slipcover and the 4 hour documentary.

sharkboy
09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
is the documentary on the blu-ray as well?

leem6453
09-28-2008, 12:46 AM
^Yes. The doc will be on the blu-ray edition, which comes out 3 wks later (21 Oct). That's the version I will be getting.

Resurrection
10-04-2008, 05:01 AM
watchin this now...its kinda interestng....just follows the filming from day to day...

Todd 78
10-04-2008, 08:19 AM
I got the dvd and it was well worth double dipping. So far I watched the first 3 parts. ( Pre Production and the first 10 days of shooting) Its really a fascinating look at what a hands on director Zombie. Maybe his writing needs improvement, but I think he is a gifted director.

I also get a kick out of how much fun Daeg is having making the film.

Man In Black
10-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I watched this today and it really is quite excellent. If you liked The Devils Rejects doc you should dig this...except its twice as long.

NYCKing87
10-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I thought the release was on Oct. 7th? Why do some you have it early?

Todd 78
10-04-2008, 11:22 AM

I know a few places in the city that sells dvds a couple of weeks in advance of the street date.

mmyers78
10-04-2008, 12:10 PM
It sounds like this documentary is pretty interesting, so I will probaly end up picking this up when it comes out.

Man In Black
10-04-2008, 12:21 PM

Mine was a Region 1 import that came early for some reason.

Franchise
10-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm going to get the 3 disc just so I can watch it. I don't care about the movie since I'm getting the Blu of it.

NYCKing87
10-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I know a few places in the city that sells dvds a couple of weeks in advance of the street date.Come to think of it, the FYE I go too gets dvds early as well. That's how I got Iron Man so quick. I'll give 'em a call later to see they got it.

Man In Black
10-06-2008, 02:08 AM
Just for anyone interested in the way the documentary is broken down (but not sure if they want to invest) it goes a little like this:

Pre-production (within this section is the location scouting, casting, film tests, table read through, costumes, storyboards and a few other things). They also do some pre-shooting (the 8mm home movies). This section lasts approximately 28 minutes.

Then it goes into the day-by-day filming. This covers the entire 46 filming days (including the re-shoots - which is mentioned that it takes place three months later). There is also a small section on the music during this but its not at length. There is no post-production footage. This section lasts approximately 3 hours 50 minutes.

Really recommend it.

HEcamehome
10-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Sounds orgasmic. Can't wait to pick this baby up tomorrow

*In Song* Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya! Tomorrow!

halloweenfan89
10-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Im getting this sucker tomorrow

EvilOnTwoLegs
10-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Goddamn double-dips...but yeah, I'll have to pick this up for the doc.

leem6453
10-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Cool, can't wait to watch this on the blu-ray.

Torgo
10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
This is basically paying 20 dollars for the 4 1/2 half hour doc and getting the movie as a bonus, lol.

It's really great though. I recommend it for anyone who is into making of docs. this is probably the best one I've ever seen. even if you hated the movie but you're into making of docs check this out. It's great.

Six-times!
10-12-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree. I just picked this up yesterday and I have to say it's definitely worth the $19.98 I paid for it.

CritterKoas
10-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I watched mine yesterday, and i was up till 7:40 am and loving every minute of it, i wish there was more. You can say as much as you want about rob zombie, but you cant say as director he didn't give us fans every possible behind the scenes and special features possible, I think he did a great job with this, and the film also.

Torgo
10-13-2008, 07:55 AM
I watched mine yesterday, and i was up till 7:40 am and loving every minute of it, i wish there was more. You can say as much as you want about rob zombie, but you cant say as director he didn't give us fans every possible behind the scenes and special features possible, I think he did a great job with this, and the film also.

I was just going to watch a little bit at a time, and 4 1/2 hours later I was still watching the damn thing, lol. It really draws you in to a movie production and keeps you interested the entire time. It's pretty amazing. It's like being on a movie set without dealing with the headaches.

And yeah, as much shit as Zombie got for this movie, I think he should be applauded for giving the fans of it what they want. I can't think of any other director who has made a 4 1/2 hour documentary on the making of his movie. Maybe if you add up those Peter Jackson video diaries on King Kong, I don't know. But this is just exhaustive. Robert Rodriguez does good special editions, but he's all about explaining things in 10 minutes or less.

Hallowone
10-13-2008, 01:47 PM
watching the doc made me appreciate the film more. Props to Rob

Brimstone
10-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm really looking forward to watching this documentary.I enjoyed the one for The Devil's Rejects so I'm hoping this one will be just as good.

EvilOnTwoLegs
10-14-2008, 08:07 AM
I still have to say that the best making-of documentary ever is Dangerous Days, the 210-minute doc from the Blade Runner set. It was more comprehensive, I'd say, whereas Michael Lives is more specific. This was a great watch, though, and kept me interested for the length of it 260-minute runtime. Certainly, anyone who enjoyed 30 Days in Hell will love Michael Lives.

akira7
10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
My one question about this new doc stems from my one gripe with the Devil's Reject documentary. Does it frequently splice in quick clips from the finished movie? I understand making an exhaustive documentary that covers all details, but it seems like you're really unnecessarily fleshing it out if you cut in all those little clips of the final product. They're not needed and I thought they detracted from the DR making-of.

Anyway, are they present on Michael Lives? The rest sounds quite good.

HalloweeN63
10-29-2008, 12:27 AM
This is basically paying 20 dollars for the 4 1/2 half hour doc and getting the movie as a bonus, lol.

It's really great though. I recommend it for anyone who is into making of docs. this is probably the best one I've ever seen. even if you hated the movie but you're into making of docs check this out. It's great.

oooh, no shit? I'm wishing I had picked this up when it came out. fuck. 4 and a half hours has me excited. I love making of documentaries so much. I love hearing the people behind production talk, behind the scenes shit, all that. I'd like to hear what Rob has to say about making the film as well. I've read/listened to interviews from him, but over a course of 4 hours, I'm sure there's shit I don't know.

I'm definitely looking forward to this now, though I'm not sure when I'll have the time to pick it up.

Man In Black
10-29-2008, 12:53 AM
My one question about this new doc stems from my one gripe with the Devil's Reject documentary. Does it frequently splice in quick clips from the finished movie? I understand making an exhaustive documentary that covers all details, but it seems like you're really unnecessarily fleshing it out if you cut in all those little clips of the final product. They're not needed and I thought they detracted from the DR making-of.

Anyway, are they present on Michael Lives? The rest sounds quite good.

Yes there are quick flashes of the movie quite often. They don't last too long (mere seconds sometimes) - just showing the finished version of what they shot. So it is like Rejects' doc in that respect.

Kinick
10-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Yes there are quick flashes of the movie quite often. They don't last too long (mere seconds sometimes) - just showing the finished version of what they shot. So it is like Rejects' doc in that respect.

This is something I felt brought the doc down a little...atleast on repeat viewings. That and the lack of post-production and final thoughts etc. The pre-production stufff was great, but I felt it would have benefitted more had the shoot been structured more like Full Tilt Boogie as opposed to 30 Days (which worked great) where it's chronicled week by week rather than each day. For me, it became much too specific and repetitive splicing a few edits and clips to each shot in the movie of each day. If it had been structured more loosely and with more of an overview given of its status along the way and at the finish line etc. I think I would have enjoyed it more. But the mere 4.5 hour run time alone is certainly nothing to complain about with the amount of insight to the filmmaking process available and defnitiely places it among the best DVD docs around.

JOeKER
10-30-2008, 09:08 AM
This documentary was amazing. It flew by and never got boring. Definitely worth the price for the double dip, triple dip, whatever it may be (since I own every edition available).

I definitely like Zombie even more as a film maker after watching it... not that I didn't already.

DistantJ
11-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Sounds quite cool. I'd have loved to have seen a documentary about reimagining Halloween, though, I was surprised not to have one on the DVD (I have the one-disk version, I have no idea what to expect from the 3-disk one).

I mean, I'd have loved to have watched Rob Zombie talk about the original movie and what was so great about it, the narrator going on about how successful it was in cinemas, etc. and then going on to talk about how they decided to make the new version in the way they did, etc.

Myers Shadow
11-07-2008, 10:46 AM
The documentary was awesome. I was skeptical of the reimagining of Halloween, but learned to deal with it and I followed the whole of the production. I looked at Rob's myspace page everyday, the when I came to watch the film, I realised it wasn't what it was being made out to be. Everyone said it would 'kick ass' and because of it showing Michael's childhood, it would dig deeper into the Halloween legend. But as I watched the film, I watched it as a stand-alone movie, and thought it was average. As a fan I didn't want to disown the film because I think the characters of Michael, Laurie and Loomis and the story of Halloween are iconic anyway, and just seeing these portrayals onscreen is good enough. And now I own the Theatrical DVD, the Unrated DVD and the 3-Disc Collector's Edition.
I just wish the documentary was longer, it was one of the best I have ever seen on DVD.

Torgo
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
The documentary was awesome. I was skeptical of the reimagining of Halloween, but learned to deal with it and I followed the whole of the production. I looked at Rob's myspace page everyday, the when I came to watch the film, I realised it wasn't what it was being made out to be. Everyone said it would 'kick ass' and because of it showing Michael's childhood, it would dig deeper into the Halloween legend. But as I watched the film, I watched it as a stand-alone movie, and thought it was average. As a fan I didn't want to disown the film because I think the characters of Michael, Laurie and Loomis and the story of Halloween are iconic anyway, and just seeing these portrayals onscreen is good enough. And now I own the Theatrical DVD, the Unrated DVD and the 3-Disc Collector's Edition.
I just wish the documentary was longer, it was one of the best I have ever seen on DVD.

I love how people wish the 4 1/2 hour documantary was longer. That's a testemant to how fast it goes by and how good it is, I'd say.

Brimstone
11-09-2008, 02:20 PM
I just finished watching it and by the end,I was wishing that were was more.That was a great behind the scenes documentary.

halo thirty one
11-17-2008, 09:00 AM
So, as far as the Blu-Ray release of the Halloween remake is concerned, the unrated director's cut is the only one that is available? There's no Blu-Ray release of the theatrical version planned?

james283126
11-19-2008, 11:52 PM
the doc was the best part about his halloween, i could go on for hours, i loved it and when it was over i wished there was more,lol

deathbystereo
12-17-2008, 11:16 PM
wow, i finally finished watching the doco....man that was awesome. you would think being as long as it is, it could get boring..but, nop. loved it...i actually wished we got to see the post preduction stuff, Rob editing the film, getting the art work together and doing the whole promotional thing...but thats just a small complaint. hope we get the same treatment for H2.

HEcamehome
12-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I hope Rob Zombie adds another documentary onto Halloween II.

Todd
12-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I've so far resisted the urge to get this, but after reading these reviews I'll probably cave in.

Roswell
12-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Just bought the 3-Disc set today and watched a good portion of the documentary. After having seen so many fluff making-ofs, this one is REALLY refreshing to see. Even though it doesn't cover EVERY single aspect of the production, it covers a lot of ground, and I just wish more films had this kind of coverage.

scoob
01-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Watched it about an hour ago and couldnt stop once it was on - I only meant to see first ten minites or so but ended up watching the whole thing.

Excellent, I recommend it to any fan even if you are not that keen on the actual movie itself.

I wanted more aswell!

Danny Strode
01-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I have it. Still haven't watched it yet. :p

james283126
01-21-2009, 11:41 AM
you know, i didnt see anything about heather bowen on this, wasent she an extra or something and shot a scene, she was in the crowd or something, wouldn't that have been on here?? oh and the reshoot for Bob's death was left out, i was kind of looking foward to it,lol

Roswell
01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
wouldn't that have been on here??

Not really. She was an extra. She won the contest, but she was still just an extra.

MM2DYLAN
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah, apparently she knocked over the fake lamppost.

Danny Strode
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
you know, i didnt see anything about heather bowen on this, wasent she an extra or something and shot a scene, she was in the crowd or something, wouldn't that have been on here?? oh and the reshoot for Bob's death was left out, i was kind of looking foward to it,lol

Her scene was cut out.

Dead Mechanic
01-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Her scene was cut out.
I wasn't aware she even had a scene. Does anyone know what scene she was supposed to be in?

EvilOnTwoLegs
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I wasn't aware she even had a scene. Does anyone know what scene she was supposed to be in?

I'm sure if you go to the appropriate thread (http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=14286), you could find out. ;)

Man In Black
01-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Anyone notice during the pre-production segment (casting I think) they show the pictorial cast wall in Rob's office (a few times). When its relatively filled up I notice what appears to be Jackie Earl Haley's head-shot pinned up.
This pic:
http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors4/Jackie3_150.jpg
Wonder who he was supposed to be playing, as he was never announced (nor, obviously in the movie).

james283126
01-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Anyone notice during the pre-production segment (casting I think) they show the pictorial cast wall in Rob's office (a few times). When its relatively filled up I notice what appears to be Jackie Earl Haley's head-shot pinned up.
This pic:
http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors4/Jackie3_150.jpg
Wonder who he was supposed to be playing, as he was never announced (nor, obviously in the movie).Young Loomis,lol jk

Dead Mechanic
01-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm sure if you go to the appropriate thread (http://www.ohmb.net/showthread.php?t=14286), you could find out. ;)
Thanks!

H-Field Hero
03-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Since I don't particularly like this movie I put off buying it on home video until tonight. I finally caved in and picked up the 2 disc blu ray. I figured I would well verse myself in the film in preparation for this summer's sequel. I watched the first hour of the docu and I'll admit it is pretty good. I'll probably work through it little by little as the week goes on.