PDA

View Full Version : Is RZH too vulgar???

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Frightmaster
09-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Since this thread didn't survive the crash I thought I'd bring it back.

I've noticed many members including myself weren't too happy with the crude language and actions in RZH. So my questions is, do you think that RZH is too vulgar???

Danny Strode
09-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes. To the point that it's sick. I felt like I was watching an American Pie movie more than I was a Halloween film. What is in the film is all Rob Zombie knows.

Ravenheart
09-07-2008, 02:53 PM
No not at all.

Superman
09-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, to the extreme.

NYCKing87
09-07-2008, 03:10 PM
It's definitely vulgar but it doesn't bother me.

Roswell
09-07-2008, 03:13 PM
"Too vulgar"? Man, you guys are way too sensitive if you think Zombie's Halloween was "too vulgar".

Khan
09-07-2008, 03:36 PM
The vulgarity itself didn't offend me.

What offended me was how poorly it was written and paced, with a totally rushed remake portion.

TheShape2005
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
It was fine for today's crowds. The charaters in it didn't hold many punches and that's how your gonna get it if you hang around with real individuals like Ronnie White, the bullys ect ect. When I was in school, I had bully's picking on me like that and would say vulgar things about my family to try and get under my skin. I mean real deep, sick, hurtful shit. *lets just say they didn't make it out of the woods*..without black eyes. ;) It's a vulgar world out there so tough. I didn't think it was too vulgar at all IMO. ;) Now that rape escape scene..that would have been too much.

Laurie2007
09-07-2008, 04:26 PM
The vulgarity itself didn't offend me.

What offended me was how poorly it was written and paced, with a totally rushed remake portion.

i can agree on that....especially the remake portion

MM2DYLAN
09-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Fuck no it's not too vulgar.

Eric616
09-07-2008, 06:07 PM
It's not fuckin' vulgar at all, and anybody that does think it is, is a fucking prude. You should hear me during a Bears' game!

Fuck!

tmlfan4life
09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I said no because to me all horror pictures today seem the same, so I can't see this one being any different.

Warlock44
09-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Well it sure didn't possess much else besides vulgar...But then again we are talking about a 50+ year old man who calls himself "Zombie" who looks, talks, and pretty much acts like a suppressed 15 year old.

spindrift68
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
RZ's Halloween is very vulgar, and it doesn't bother me that much, but it was very unnecessary.

I didn't mind the shit Ronnie was saying, but I was kinda sickened by the "bathroom" talk at school.

The vulgar shit works fine in H1000C & TDR, but not in Halloween.

Danny Strode
09-07-2008, 08:00 PM
I didn't mind the shit Ronnie was saying, but I was kinda sickened by the "bathroom" talk at school.

That's what I hated the most. I couldn't believe it. And heck, it taught me some things. :p

JOeKER
09-07-2008, 08:13 PM
I guess I just broke the tie in saying no. I think the vulgarity made it raw and relentless much like The Devil's Rejects. It sets a very uncomfortable and uneasy atmosphere that doesn't let up once the murders start.

rrobins08
09-07-2008, 08:28 PM
It's not too vulgar. But then I guess certain people do not get that vulgar is RZ style, just look back at his previous movies like the House of 1000 Corpses, and the Devil's Rejects. I mean, you had to go into this movie with the idea that it was going to be an RZ film, c'mon folks, get over yourselves!

Laurie2007
09-08-2008, 05:49 AM
It's not fuckin' vulgar at all, and anybody that does think it is, is a fucking prude. You should hear me during a Bears' game!

Fuck!

or in this thread:roflmao:

Reobeem
09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
It was vulgar but not as much as in the Devil's Rejects.

Warlock44
09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Most of the people who saw this Halloween film saw it because it was marketed as a remake (or were already existing fans of the Halloween series). If it were composed of just diehard Zombie fans, the film would have never charted. SO the expectation for the average ticket buyer was for a Halloween movie, not a small budget smut film made by a relatively obscure director.

Pandaz
09-08-2008, 12:28 PM
I actually don't think it's too vulgar. The dialogue never phased or offended me, and having seen Rob's previous movies, I was expecting it. I hear much worse things on a daily basis. :D

The Devil's Reject
09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
I actually don't think it's too vulgar. The dialogue never phased or offended me, and having seen Rob's previous movies, I was expecting it. I hear much worse things on a daily basis. :D

Home life pretty interesting? Yeah being a Fan of HO1000, and DR I knew that's exactly what we were going to get. I'd even go so far as to say that it was a little cleaner than I thought it was going to be.

The Dark Shape
09-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Vulgar in the sense that it sounds as if it was written by a 9-year-old who just learned to swear, yeah.

Laurie2007
09-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Vulgar in the sense that it sounds as if it was written by a 9-year-old who just learned to swear, yeah.

haha love that line!

Danny Strode
09-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I've never seen any of his other movies, but I knew it was going to be like this. Somehow.

BrianG
09-21-2008, 02:03 PM
It was fine for today's crowds. The charaters in it didn't hold many punches and that's how your gonna get it if you hang around with real individuals like Ronnie White, the bullys ect ect. When I was in school, I had bully's picking on me like that and would say vulgar things about my family to try and get under my skin. I mean real deep, sick, hurtful shit. *lets just say they didn't make it out of the woods*..without black eyes. ;) It's a vulgar world out there so tough. I didn't think it was too vulgar at all IMO. ;) Now that rape escape scene..that would have been too much.
I totally agree-that rape scene was needless, and I found it very difficult to watch as it had nothing to do with the plot or storyline of the movie

SlasherBoi
09-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I do think it is much more vular than the original but I wouldn't say it's too vulgar because I can handle it..haha

Laurie2007
09-27-2008, 02:58 PM
I do think it is much more vular than the original but I wouldn't say it's too vulgar because I can handle it..haha

anything now days is going to be more vulgar because people didnt think about using those words as much....because then it was actually seen as bad :p

SlasherBoi
09-27-2008, 03:08 PM
anything now days is going to be more vulgar because people didnt think about using those words as much....because then it was actually seen as bad :p

Your right lol :nodsmile::roflmao:

Masked Murderer
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
It was obviously vulgar, but it's a matter of how much vulgarity can be handled on an individual basis. What one person can find extremely offensive or sick isn't so for the person sitting next to them.

That said, while I do think the film was vulgar (it's pretty much fact that it's vulgar) I personally didn't find the vulgarity to be offensive. It was harsh, but I didn't mind.

The Bathroom scene is nothing...seriously, who here thinks kids DON'T talk like that? Once someone reaches the age of discovering swearing, what happens? They abuse it profusely. Because they're naive; they're under the false impression that swearing is a sign of being more adult, so they do it all the time...ALL the time.

But back on topic, while I do think the film is very vulgar...I personally do not think it's "Too Vulgar."

M M

Danny Strode
09-29-2008, 04:39 PM
The Bathroom scene is nothing...seriously, who here thinks kids DON'T talk like that?

I was 20 when I saw it... and I've never heard of that before. Guess who's sitting under a rock? :wave:

Laurie2007
09-29-2008, 04:40 PM
i was 20 when i saw it... And i've never heard of that before. Guess who's sitting under a rock? :wave:

you!!!!!!

Danny Strode
09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
you!!!!!!

You got it.

And if anyone here tells anyone else about the fact I didn't know any of this, I will deny it up and down. :p

Masked Murderer
09-29-2008, 04:48 PM
LMAO!

Well perhaps you were more sheltered than Rob...I wouldn't know, but perhaps...

M M

Danny Strode
09-29-2008, 04:50 PM
And even when I was in school, none of the kids talked like that. But then again, all anyone ever knows here in Wisconsin are brats and beer.

Laurie2007
09-29-2008, 04:54 PM
You got it.

And if anyone here tells anyone else about the fact I didn't know any of this, I will deny it up and down. :p

*looks around at the whole board*
RIIIIIIIGHT

Masked Murderer
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
^And cheese...don't forget CHEESE!!!

:)

M M

Laurie2007
09-29-2008, 05:01 PM
and those really cool cheese hats!!!!!! haha

Masked Murderer
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM

:roflmao:

M M

The Frightmaster
09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
:offtopic:

Masked Murderer
09-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Apologies...

RZH is vulgar, but not too vulgar.

M M

Danny Strode
09-29-2008, 06:09 PM

For the record, they're called cheeseheads. And for $25, you can own a big chunk of styrofoam.

Silverpsycho
09-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I was about to click "yes" right away until I actually thought about it. Zombie loves the shock value material and sadly life like this exists, but many of us are sheltered from it...at least I would hope so. To blatantly incorporate the language and abuse into a film as Zombie displayed is actually understandable to create this whole notion to explain why Michael Myers turned out like he did and put a new spin on the entire idea behind HalloweeN. Now while I truly don't go for some of the scenes in his rendition, they are not "too vulgar" in comparison to real life events and other films as well.

However I really really hate that rape scene from the workprint version. That seriously turns me off and while I love the workprint version most, I skip past that awful scene. To me that scene is over-the-top vulgar but sadly it's a better representation of how Michael Myers escapes the mental facility.

Overall, I am choosing to vote "no" because I've seen worse and I expected what I got from Zombie. I find The Devil's Rejects to be far more vulgar if you ask me.

FTL
09-29-2008, 09:06 PM
The Bathroom scene is nothing...seriously, who here thinks kids DON'T talk like that?

Shit, I never talked like that. And I can be an asshole when it calls for it.

Like Matt said it does feel like it's written by a 9-year-old just learning how to curse lol

I didn't mind most of it because I thought the actors were doing a good job exchanging the dialogue.

I didn't like the bullies, bathroom scenes, etc though.

And let's not forget the only thing that dishes out more cheese than Wisconsin is.... John Woo's Face/off

Masked Murderer
09-29-2008, 09:47 PM
John Woo's "Face/Off"?

Or Mark Steven Johnson's "Daredevil"... ;)

And I can agree about the whole 9 year old thing.

But you have to keep in mind that that dialogue IS coming from kids, who're by default not the most articulate age group, nor the most mature when it comes to holding back the reigns of vulgarity or swearing.

Wesley's bathroom rant sounds fairly tame compared to the stuff I've heard kids say these days.

M M

Psych0ticNemes1s
09-30-2008, 04:29 AM
It is so vulgar it ruined the movie by making every scene comical. Comical horror movies aren't horror movies at all.

theshape09
09-30-2008, 05:10 AM
"Too vulgar"? Man, you guys are way too sensitive if you think Zombie's Halloween was "too vulgar".

Yup, exactly it wasn't vulgar at all.It was a great movie.And so what they cursed all the time it's a part of the movie.:)

theshape09
09-30-2008, 05:12 AM
It is so vulgar it ruined the movie by making every scene comical. Comical horror movies aren't horror movies at all.

uuhh yeah they are but i guess that's what makes them soo fun to watch:crazy:

Psych0ticNemes1s
09-30-2008, 05:56 AM
uuhh yeah they are but i guess that's what makes them soo fun to watch:crazy:

I would rather watch a scary movie...

Khan
09-30-2008, 06:12 AM
I personally didn't find the film "comical" because of that, just rather pointless

Horror comedy can work if done right (Evil Dead 2).

Mephistopheles
10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Having only seen the first Halloween film before this, I was a bit taken aback at some moments, particularly Ronnie's lines about skullfucking Deborah and the bits about the bullies sucking on her 'tits' and pumping the cum from Judith's stomach.

If anyone's read the original script, though...sheesh. Just some stuff that wasn't in the original cut.

1. In the beginning, Michael's listening to an audiotape of animals he's killed while masturbating to pictures.
2. Instead of killing the bully, he kills a little girl instead. And then urinates on her.
3. Before killing Judith, he gropes her breast.
4. It's also mentioned in passing that he sodomized her corpse with a baseball bat.

Yeah, I'm glad Rob made the changes that he did...

Masked Murderer
10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
It's not that Rob can't write good dialogue...It's that he writes predictable dialogue.

Think Jeph Loeb's Comic Book work (Batman: HUSH, etc.).

The dialogue isn't bad per say...but it's awfully hokey and it feels too planned out and not natural enough.

Same goes for Rob as far as "Halloween" is concerned.

M M

NYCKing87
10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
If anyone's read the original script, though...sheesh. Just some stuff that wasn't in the original cut.

1. In the beginning, Michael's listening to an audiotape of animals he's killed while masturbating to pictures.
2. Instead of killing the bully, he kills a little girl instead. And then urinates on her.
4. It's also mentioned in passing that he sodomized her corpse with a baseball bat.

Yeah, I'm glad Rob made the changes that he did...:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes :

Mephistopheles
10-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I swear to God, I'm not lying. I can go pull up the pages if you want.

I'm just glad he got rid of them. Him killing the little girl would have *killed* any attempts at humanizing him. Granted, the finished film is far from perfect, but I feel there'd be a lot more complaints here if it was Rob's original script being used...

NYCKing87
10-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I swear to God, I'm not lying. I can go pull up the pages if you want.Na I believe ya.

Khan
10-02-2008, 07:49 PM
When the script was leaked, it was utter chaos on the board I was on at the time.

Most people hated all of it, even die hard Zombie fans.

Danny Strode
10-02-2008, 09:33 PM

What doesn't surprise me is that I'm not surprised by any of this. What does surprise me is that none of it made it into the movie.

Pasabi
10-02-2008, 09:47 PM
I bet you Daeg wishes that number 3 was still in the actual shooting script!!! :)

FTL
10-02-2008, 09:50 PM

1 was funny on paper. I remember reading "furiously MASTURBATING." lol

Danny Strode
10-03-2008, 12:02 PM
I bet you Daeg wishes that number 3 was still in the actual shooting script!!! :)

Heh-heh, probably.

NYCKing87
10-03-2008, 02:02 PM
1 was funny on paper. I remember reading "furiously MASTURBATING." lolThat would've been a sight to see. Not a good one of course.

You_Let_Him_Out
10-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm certainly not opposed to vulgarness, but it just seemed like too much for the series. It's too forced, in your face, etc. This movie makes Friday the 13th Part V look G.

TheShape'78
10-03-2008, 04:19 PM

or not, cos he wouldn't have been the one to do it.

-mitch-

Pasabi
10-03-2008, 08:04 PM
It was a joke Shape. And by the way it depends on how it was shot. Your right more then likely they would have had a adult do it on screen. But we have seen some crazy stuff from Hollywood like the whole Nicole Kidman in a romantic scene with a kid from that one movie people complained about a few years ago.

TheShape'78
10-03-2008, 08:37 PM
It was a joke Shape. And by the way it depends on how it was shot. Your right more then likely they would have had a adult do it on screen. But we have seen some crazy stuff from Hollywood like the whole Nicole Kidman in a romantic scene with a kid from that one movie people complained about a few years ago.

i figured as much, but i wasn't 100% so i said "fuck it" and posted anyway.

-mitch-

Silverpsycho
10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Having only seen the first Halloween film before this, I was a bit taken aback at some moments, particularly Ronnie's lines about skullfucking Deborah and the bits about the bullies sucking on her 'tits' and pumping the cum from Judith's stomach.

Oh yes, I was so scared after reading this script! I could not imagine ever watching this crap with anyone else. Needless to say, I found the script to be vulgar garbage all for shock value without being any sort of tribute to the original. Sometimes going over-the-top with this kind of stuff is much too much. However, I was pleased that none of this became part of the actual film...phew. In the end, there are still many things that make it a true Rob Zombie film, but man...it could have been so much worse.

NYCKing87
10-04-2008, 10:25 AM
But we have seen some crazy stuff from Hollywood like the whole Nicole Kidman in a romantic scene with a kid from that one movie people complained about a few years ago.What movie was that?

boogeyman87
10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
What movie was that?

Birth.

The Frightmaster
10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Rob had no business writing this movie. he was fine for the directors seat, but they definitely should have found someone who can write good dialogue cos Rob cannot. all he knows how to do is write filth and that was fine for his first two films considering the kind of characters in those films, but he shouldn't have incorporated that kind of writing into his reinvisioning of Halloween.

-mitch-

Agreed. Rob needs to stay away from writing.

It just seemed like too much for the series. It's too forced, in your face, etc. This movie makes Friday the 13th Part V look G.

Exactly, I feel the same way. The dialogue just wasn't right for a Halloween movie. I mean when every other word is "fuck" it just gets to be annoying. And like YLHO said, it just seemed too forced and in your face.

And you guys can call be a prude or sheltered or tell me that I should of expected dialogue like this becase it's a Rob Zombie film, but in my opinion this kind of dialogue was unneeded...

"Maybe I will choke the chicken and purge my snork all over those flappy ass tits"
"Bitch, I will crawl over there and I will skull fuck the shit out of you!"
"I heard your sister got caught sellin blow jobs in the bathroom. I heard they had to pump the cum out of her stomach."
"How's your mom doin....you think she'd suck my dick for a quarter and let me suck her tits."

zombie commando
10-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Nothing is too vulgar......just poorly written.

Psych0ticNemes1s
10-09-2008, 07:40 AM
I personally didn't find the film "comical" because of that, just rather pointless

Horror comedy can work if done right (Evil Dead 2).

I won't say you're wrong because everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I cannot stand the evil dead movies. That is why I said I prefer scary movies.
Also, I was referring more to UNINTENTIONAL comedic horror movies than intentional comedic horror movies like Evil Dead II.

Todd 78
10-09-2008, 07:50 AM
I am an unapologetic fan iof the reamke. I would rank it third behind the original & part IV , but the weakest point was the writing.

I am no prude, but he could have tone it down particularly weith Ronnie and Lynda. I think Zombie is a fimne visual director, and overall I like the movie & story quite a bit, but he needs to at least have a cowriter, who can work out the dialogue issues

Stioll a superb effort from Mr Zombie.

hallobabe25
10-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Even though it doesn't bother me, I do believe this movie is too vulgar. I was on a double date when I went to see this movie and one of my friends was so sick after the first 15min that she had to leave and refused to come back. Thats pretty bad. I can take this kind of stuff but not all people can so I think Rob Zombie should have toned it down a bit.

zombie commando
10-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Even though it doesn't bother me, I do believe this movie is too vulgar. I was on a double date when I went to see this movie and one of my friends was so sick after the first 15min that she had to leave and refused to come back. Thats pretty bad. I can take this kind of stuff but not all people can so I think Rob Zombie should have toned it down a bit.

Horror is supposed to be sick. It'd feel accomplished if I was a horror director and made people vomit. That's my goal in life, to make people barf!

Darth Revan
10-14-2008, 06:41 PM
It definitely wasn't too vulgar. And like someone else said, in the real world, its pretty damn vulgar. But I enjoyed it, it wasn't too vulgar for me.

Torgo
10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
I am an unapologetic fan iof the reamke. I would rank it third behind the original & part IV , but the weakest point was the writing.

I am no prude, but he could have tone it down particularly weith Ronnie and Lynda. I think Zombie is a fimne visual director, and overall I like the movie & story quite a bit, but he needs to at least have a cowriter, who can work out the dialogue issues

Stioll a superb effort from Mr Zombie.

I think Zombie is a capable dialogue writer. Devil's Rejects and House of a 1000 Corpses have some great lines. It seems a little out of place in the Halloween remake, and the breakfast scene gets quoted way too much when people like to point out how horrible the dialogue is. That's literally the worst exchange in the movie, outside of maybe the kid in the bathroom. Everything else is fine. Kids curse like sailors, and so do white trash. So it all fits. I don't recall Loomis and Brackett cursing like sumbitches.

I was on a double date when I went to see this movie and one of my friends was so sick after the first 15min that she had to leave and refused to come back. Thats pretty bad.

Excellent

Hellfog
10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
If you think RZH is too vulgar than you havn't seen many movies.

slasher57
10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
wasnt too vulgar...it fit in with exactly what he was trying to do...which was make it obvious that there was more to michael goin apeshit than just the fact that he was "evil"

jbyrd123
10-17-2008, 05:01 PM
I voted unsure, it depends for me I have two small children and it was to vulgar for them but I thought that it wasn't that bad for an adult.

Torgo
10-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I voted unsure, it depends for me I have two small children and it was to vulgar for them but I thought that it wasn't that bad for an adult.

You can say that about any R rated movie

TheShape'78
10-17-2008, 05:14 PM
it wasnt too vulgar for me, but it was nonetheless unnecessary. i expected it going in, it wasn't like i was surprised when i heard it, but it just was a bit stupid. he went overboard w/ it (as we all knew he would). as i have said before, someone else definitely should've written the dialogue.

-mitch-

scoob
10-17-2008, 07:43 PM
What annoyed me was not just the vulgarity of almost every single character but the way they delivered their lines. It felt out of place, and completly unnatural. I'm not offended by the words themselves but the way they were delivered was pretty horrific.

I just dont see the reason why they had to say something vulgar in almost every line. It just slowed the whole thing down so you would be taken out of whatever momentum that could have been built up to take you out of the action onscreen.

It just made the whole thing a lot more tacky then I think it should have been, and it was a big negative in my opinion. Sure, people talk and swear everyday but not in the way they say it in this film, which made it seem a film...if you know what i mean.

TheShape'78
10-17-2008, 09:48 PM
exactly. the movies use of swearing was definitely overkill.

-mitch-

jbyrd123
10-18-2008, 02:55 AM
You can say that about any R rated movieYeah thats true.

Rich
10-19-2008, 07:55 AM
I am going to say no. I think the question should be: "Is Rob too vulgar for you (as an individual)?"

Is Rob too vulgar in general? No. There is no such thing as either being not vulgar enough or too vulgar in general, being that Rob is an American who has the right to express himself any way he sees fit so long as he does not hurt any one.

Is Rob too vulgar for my own personal taste? At times he is (which is his right). I have to fast foward through the rape scene in the movie (which is my right).

onerichman
10-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes! There was no need for all that.

C_Bone
10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I voted yes it's too vulgar. Not to the point that it offends me (practically nothing offends me) but to the point it just sounded stupid and amateurish.

GAMER456
10-24-2008, 07:19 PM
I think it touched the perfect amount of crudeness. I didn't think it was the least bit too vulgar.

sharkboy
10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Wasn't vulgar....or did we all grow up in perfect households? Myself I heard that shit all the time....christ for the first twenty minutes it was like a time capsule

Myerstein
10-25-2008, 02:44 AM
Yes.

It ruins the atmosphere.

murder667
10-28-2008, 02:15 AM
i think that the saw movies are worse then rzs halloween. those are some brutal violent films man lol.

as far as language, being a 20 year old today it wasnt a shock at all to me. society is so vulgar anymore,

and art is a reflection of society.

i would really love to see someone try and make a horror film with virtually no blood like the original and still make the movie have that intense scariness to it. i think it would be a great challenge

GAMER456
10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I never once found myself scared from the original, but I think it's cuz I messed myself up by watching the remake several times over the course of a year before I finally saw the original.

AndyUK
10-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm old enough to remember the original Hallowe'en coming to the cinema :) and it scared the hell out of me; not because of the refreshing lack of too much gore of nowaday's two a penny slasher movies, but because of it's creepiness and suspense; very much on the lines of Hitchcock, in my own personal opinion. Hallowe'en to me will always be a classic i never tire of watching. However, certain things, and often just little things that just did not 'fit', again for me personally, that would have made it truly believable, ie draws you into the film. Examples,... being seen in a mask before it was apparently stolen?, picking Laurie up at a certain time when it should have been pitch dark, but it was still daylight? The leaves on the trees green, when it should have been Autumn? And... fornicating in the bed of the people your friend is baby-sitting for? I've no doubt some would, but i personally wouldn't. The stains would be a dead give away, and also the fact that someone (ie Linda) had been smoking in your bedroom :)

When i heard Rob Zombie was doing an apparent remake of Hallowe'en 1 i initially thought 'Big mistake'. How many other remakes have flopped miserably? Therefore i didn't bother to watch it. What a mistake though on my part. Two nights ago (and a year on) i watched it. What a fantastic film. In my opinion the best yet. The original will always be a classic, but as remakes go, Rob Zombie had a good eye and did it justice, and no doubt created another classic. Obviously he saw the glaringly obvious mistakes, that i amongst many others must have seen, and that which makes it less than believable, and as said that 'draw you into the movie' factor.

The copious amount of swearing etc didn't offend me, i can swear along with the best, but the film was excellent enough without need for it, and to be honest that was the only bit that spoilt it for me.

However, well done to Rob Zombie. Great film on the whole.

AndyUK
10-30-2008, 06:11 PM
However, with the Rob Zombie Movie, the things i initially couldn't get my head around were:

1. Long hair... ie was it fashionable for men in the 1960's?
2. Was 'Pole-dancing' well known in the 1960's? Or even heard of?

Which would be there era of Michael Myers from the original movie.

AndyUK
10-31-2008, 05:41 PM
I think it's a pity that the girls' acting skills was not put to a bit more suspenseful use, however, understandably they could only make do with the lines that they were given, and each of them are fine actressess.

I can't speak for the States, as i live in the UK. However, i feel confident in saying that if my young niece, for example, had been sitting in school and viewed a guy in a mask just standing there staring, and then later when walking home from school with her two friends, saw him again, standing there just staring, with a mask on, (yes he might be seen as a 'weirdo'), but i don't think for one moment they would invite trouble by taunting him? On the contrary i think they would have found the incident rather scarey and un-nerving? Just as JLC's Laurie Strode did?.. even if it was broad daylight? It's these little nuances that can make or break a good film in my opinion.

Also Jamie Lee Curtis for me will always be Laurie Strode, and i couldn't imagine her (ie Laurie Strode), standing there with two bagels making lewd gestures with them in front of her mother? I wouldn't even have dared do that in front of my own mother, and Laurie Strode was supposed to be the picture of innocence and naivety which JLC captured so well when she played the part. That was one part of the film i didn't find particularly clever, or funny.

pwbbounce
11-03-2008, 06:49 AM
When I first watched the movie at the cinema, I liked it. After watching it again last night (concluding my annual October run of all the Halloween films), it doesn't have the same atmosphere as the rest of the series. The rape scene is digusting, and was not needed. I'm glad Michael finished those two off. The language at the start of the film was also not needed. I'm not a prude, but there was no need to use that sort of language. The last hour of the film was the best, and at times, very scary. The end of the movie when Laurie shot Michael reminded me of Last House on The Left for some reason?

thorn103090
11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
YES! He was. Thank gosh someone thought about this issue and agrees.

QuietMaskedMan
11-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes very much so. So much that it gets annoying. Was this the best dialogue Zombie could come up with to fill into his characters words? I hated it.

Dr_Loomis93
11-03-2008, 02:37 PM

yea it was totally rushed. the remake was the best part!

DistantJ
11-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Can you be too vulgar for a slasher film? I don't think so. As soon as you see "A Rob Zombie Film" you know what to expect on that front.

This one was bloody but in a far more sophisticated way than the later sequels to the original film. There were no electrocutions leading to exploding heads, legs breaking off in dumbwaiters, green goo leaking out of faces, decapitations or pitchforked copulating couples. This was people in pain. Suffering at the hands of an evil boogeyman psychopath. Every kill was something that psychos could (and probably do) do in real life, except perhaps glasses boy's death, being a literal remake of the original. Even whatsherface("See anything you like?")'s death was more realistic, with the phone cord being replaced by big Mike's cold, bare hands (A phone cord? I mean come on!).

I found this to be tame in comparison to a lot of slasher films. Friday the 13th this ain't. What it is, though, is Halloween for the SAW generation. Sure, the suspense is great and the intensity of the chase at the end is brilliant, but you don't tend to scare an audience today without showing the consequences. John Carpenter's Halloween is a classic with no actual gore, but to truly bring Michael Myers to a 2007 audience, this was the best way to do it. If they did a remake of Psycho next year I'd expect the same.

TimStrode
11-07-2008, 04:59 AM
I think it was way to vulgar. I'm not a prude or anything, but I almost felt like this was a friday the 13th film at points. Every girl killed was nude and the bathroom scene was unneccisarry. Don't get me wrong vulgar stuff doesn't bother me, but in a Halloween film to me it just didn't belong. JC's was a classic and there was hardly any vulgarity in it. I just don't think it was needed in this film. I guess what I'm saying is in some movies you want to see it, but in this movie it wasn'nt needed. Just my opnion. Now for the Friday the 13th remake bring on the sex and nudity!!! :)

onerichman
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
You know it was bad when Linda was even spelling out dirty words. That is a little to extreme.

MM2DYLAN
12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
I've watched a lot of films more vulgar than RZH. I think the vulgarity thing is blown a bit out of proportion.

SystemOfaDown
12-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Vulgar...indeed but still an alright movie in my opinion although some parts were not needed like when that girl was getting raped by the guards.

Danny Strode
12-26-2008, 02:21 PM
I think the vulgarity thing is blown a bit out of proportion.

At this point, I think it is. And I mean by the thread too. Some people don't mind it, some people like myself don't mind it but it gets in the way, and some people seem to be so offended and terrified by it.

Buckyspowerline
12-27-2008, 05:30 PM
I thought it was a little too vulgar, but I personally didn't mind it, but I really didn't like the rape scene. It was stomach turning

Zombie_Myers
01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
The only thing which was vulgar was the rape scene but I found that more realistic than Michael breaking through the chain in the theatrical cut. I didn't mind the swearing, I've heard worse and numerous people I know (including girls) often talk like that.

HoozKook
01-06-2009, 08:06 AM
Asking if RZH is too vulgar is like asking if the pope is a catholic

MM2DYLAN
01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I've seen more vulgarity here. :bastard:

carol
02-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I just feel this movie was way too 'Zombified'. Halloween wasn't really the right choice for him. But hey, he's in to all that kind of stuff. I still don't like it though.

man_in_black82
02-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I voted yes. One of the reasons that I disliked the film was the vulgarity. I am not against vulgar things of course, but Zombie overdid it IMO

MischievousSpirit
02-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I just feel this movie was way too 'Zombified'. Halloween wasn't really the right choice for him. But hey, he's in to all that kind of stuff. I still don't like it though.

Of course the movie is Zombified. What did you want Rob Zombie to do? Make an exact replica of the original, and not make the movie his own? Which is was John Carpenter told him to do from the get go! After all. It is Rob Zombie's Halloween. Not John Carpenter's Halloween. :crazy:

slipknot666
02-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Fuck no it aint too fucking vulgar.:bastard:
I still find it amusing that people are offended by the vulgarity of RZH. What did you expect? It's a Rob Zombie movie, he isn't exactly known for making "family friendly" movies.Besides the fact, if you really listen to a majority of people in this world, that is exactly how they talk to each other, hell I'm just as guilty of it as anybody. I mean seriously, people are being sensitive about harsh language and whatnot but, it's a fucking Halloween movie, we all watched it so we could watch some psychopath walk around and KILL PEOPLE!

MischievousSpirit
02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
It is ridiculous that everyone finds that a movie franchise is about a man in a white mask stalking and killing people so acceptible. But can't tolerate any bad words. Which is the greater sin? MURDER, or bad language? Whooopdy Doo!

DoomsdayFAN
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
In general? No. As a Halloween movie? Yes.

Even though there was murder in the other Halloweens (Especially the original) there was still a large ammount of class. RZ's has no class.

MischievousSpirit
02-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Don't be ridiculous. All of the murders in RZ's Halloween were way more realistic, and had the right amount of blood in them. You think exploding heads, ripping off necks, skull crushings, thrashing people via farm machinary and thumbs through faces are all classy? Christ.

carol
02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
No, I didn't want him to make a replica of the original. I understand it was "his" movie but I feel that he didn't really need to go that violent the way he did with it. Not to mention I even said that Rob was into all that kind of stuff so why are you giving me an attitude?

DoomsdayFAN
02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Don't be ridiculous. All of the murders in RZ's Halloween were way more realistic, and had the right amount of blood in them. You think exploding heads, ripping off necks, skull crushings, thrashing people via farm machinary and thumbs through faces are all classy? Christ.

I was refering mostly to the original 4. But yeah, they were more classy than RZH. You never heard anyone talk about any of the vile crap in those films as they did in RZH. You think talking about Skull fucking, Dried up cunts, Cum sucking/guzzling, Stomach pumping, cock sucking, etc every two seconds is classy? The way some of the characters acted was totally absured!

Realistic murders or not. The film was totally classless.

Moondragon69
02-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Fuck no I don't think any of Zombie's films are too vulgar for me. And I think much of the language in the film certain people objected to was in character for the characters who were using the offending language.

Moondragon69
02-06-2009, 12:09 AM
That's what I hated the most. I couldn't believe it. And heck, it taught me some things. :p

Well, kids that age sometimes talk like that at school in between classes when no teachers are around. I remember when I was about young Micheal's age. There was this bitch at my school who picked on me. She thought it was funny to call me "the camel toe queen" because she didn't like me. LOL..I didn't even find out what camel toe meant until a few years later, but I knew it was something filthy. And then there was this one chick who one day, when the teacher was out of the room, told someone who was sitting with her about how she lost her virginity. Point is, kids say that shit in school.

TheShape'78
02-06-2009, 12:37 AM
I've had a filthy mouth since 7 or 8... no joke.

-mitch-

Moondragon69
02-06-2009, 12:46 AM
I've had a filthy mouth since 7 or 8... no joke.

-mitch-

My mom tells me that when I was 3 or 4, my friend and I used to say "Fuck the Government"..I guess we learned that from our dads who were hippies at the time..My mom and my friend's mom tried to teach us to say "fiddlesticks on the government" instead.

Pandaz
02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
In general? No. As a Halloween movie? Yes.

Even though there was murder in the other Halloweens (Especially the original) there was still a large ammount of class. RZ's has no class.
Class? CLASS?!! We're talking about a franchise that involves a masked psychopath stalking and killing people, and you're saying that any of the installments had class?

And, the vulgarity doesn't bother me. I think that most fans tend to exaggerate how bad it really is. There's bigger problems with the film than the dialogue.

The Devil's Reject
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Class? CLASS?!! We're talking about a franchise that involves a masked psychopath stalking and killing people, and you're saying that any of the installments had class?

And, the vulgarity doesn't bother me. I think that most fans tend to exaggerate how bad it really is. There's bigger problems with the film than the dialogue.

I thought it used to bug you? Well you learn something new everyday. Yeah the language isn't that bad when compared to other horror films of today.

Pandaz
02-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I thought it used to bug you? Well you learn something new everyday.
No...never...you're certainly not thinking of me.

The Devil's Reject
02-06-2009, 03:36 PM
No...never...you're certainly not thinking of me.

Oh you're right it was every other person on this board :bastard:

Danny Strode
02-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey. Don't bring me into this.

The Devil's Reject
02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I didn't say you. :p

Black Sunshine
02-06-2009, 05:07 PM
no... not too vulger at all.... it could have been much worse im sure.... Ronnie was supposed to be a dick... and he was... and the bathroom talk... well i used to hear that kind of talk when i was a kid and i went to Catholic School...

MM2DYLAN
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
no... not too vulger at all.... it could have been much worse im sure.... Ronnie was supposed to be a dick... and he was... and the bathroom talk... well i used to hear that kind of talk when i was a kid and i went to Catholic School...

Yeah, I hear worse in my daily life, and always have.

Black Sunshine
02-06-2009, 07:08 PM
whether or u like rz's halloween or not... u got to admit that he paints a realistic picture of life as most of us in someway shape or form have come to realize it ourselves. besides these movies are not made children....

Nightmareman88
02-10-2009, 01:19 AM
*edit*

Lost Soul
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
In no way was this to vulgar. If anything Zombie made it far more realistic. I remeber being picked on as a kid and a bully will find anything to tease you about and the more it bothers you the better for them. Hence the bathroom scene, knowing that Michael was probably pretty sensitive about what his mother did. My mother also had a boyfriend who was exactly like Ronnie so I know that was not overdone. As for the rape scene, it was very intense but what i got out of that scene was Michael's total lack of emotion about what was going on yet he freaks out when the guard touches his masks. Hence him being a total phsycopath. The real world is as bad if not worse than this film and I thought it brought a very realistic view to the franchise. Can you really be complaining about the swearing? Have you walked down the street in the last ten years?

halloween2007
02-18-2009, 02:55 PM
If you live in a trailer park and sleep with your cousins, then no, this film is not too vulgar.

However, for the normal people of society, yes RZH is way too vulgar. I've never had any issues with any of the other Halloween films but Zombie's really makes me cringe. EVERY single person in his movie utters some sort of vulgar saying in every sentence they say. It's very distracting. For example, the graveyard keeper talking to Loomis goes on to say something like "She blew her fucking head off". That line is one of many that always stands out for me because it doesn't seem at all natural. All the dialogue in this film felt very forced.

Myerstein
02-19-2009, 12:21 AM
If you live in a trailer park and sleep with your cousins, then no, this film is not too vulgar.

However, for the normal people of society, yes RZH is way too vulgar. I've never had any issues with any of the other Halloween films but Zombie's really makes me cringe. EVERY single person in his movie utters some sort of vulgar saying in every sentence they say. It's very distracting. For example, the graveyard keeper talking to Loomis goes on to say something like "She blew her fucking head off". That line is one of many that always stands out for me because it doesn't seem at all natural. All the dialogue in this film felt very forced.

Like I said, the vulgar nature of the film really ruins the atmosphere. One moment it feels suspenseful and scary, another moment it feels too sleazy and crappy. Zombie should have put more focus on the atmosphere.

MM2DYLAN
02-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Once again, there's the gross over exaggeration of the film's vulgarity.

WhiteZombie
02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I was about to say the same thing. I'd like sombody to point out anything "vulger", and beyond typical horror dialoge that appears in this movie, outside of the first (2 minute) kitchen scene with Ronnie, and the washroom (2 minutes) scene with the bullys.

Zombie_Myers
02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
To quote South Park the Movie: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids!"

As Michellemabelle said the vulgarity is way over exaggerated.

TheThirdHalf
02-22-2009, 10:19 AM
No swearing as you slice and dice!

theoutfieldguy
02-22-2009, 02:13 PM
From the get-go.
We attempted to watch this the other night.And I told my girlfriend (we were watching the theatrical version) 'I dont know how they got away with all of this.It should have been classified as an X'.I understand these are different times as far as filmmaking goes,but the prologue to the movie has more language and blood any of the entire Texas Chainsaw Massacre films-all of which had to go through heavy cuts to maintain an 'R' rating and this passes???

The blame goes soley to Dimension and the Weinsteins for getting Zombie involved to begin with.If they had seen his previous films,which I'm sure they have,then they would know what was in store,what his style was.White trash,hillbilly,blood and guts.Faceless characters.Everything that HalloweeN shouldnt be.

WhiteZombie
02-22-2009, 02:43 PM
From the get-go.
We attempted to watch this the other night.And I told my girlfriend (we were watching the theatrical version) 'I dont know how they got away with all of this.It should have been classified as an X'.I understand these are different times as far as filmmaking goes,but the prologue to the movie has more language and blood any of the entire Texas Chainsaw Massacre films-all of which had to go through heavy cuts to maintain an 'R' rating and this passes???

Uh how? like I said. There is 2 scenes worth of "vulger" dialoge. The rest is standard horror movie dialoge. And If you think this deserves an "X" rating, you need to search a little more.

theoutfieldguy
02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Uh how? like I said. There is 2 scenes worth of "vulger" dialoge. The rest is standard horror movie dialoge. And If you think this deserves an "X" rating, you need to search a little more.

Like I said;in the prologue there is more language and blood than in an entire TCM film.This is the only HalloweeN I can remember there being full frontal nudity.Not that it is a bad thing,but not in a HalloweeN.

The Frightmaster
02-22-2009, 02:51 PM
White trash,hillbilly,blood and guts.Faceless characters.Everything that HalloweeN shouldnt be.

I think that sums up RZH pretty well. :nodsmile:

WhiteZombie
02-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Like I said;in the prologue there is more language and blood than in an entire TCM film.

I dont think so? have you ever seen a TCM film?

MM2DYLAN
02-23-2009, 08:44 AM
I just find it funny where these films are about people being killed, and some viewers are worried about someone saying "fuck".

Ivan
02-23-2009, 09:06 AM
A person saying "fuck" is OK. A person using this word in his/her every sentence - for no reason - is not OK.

Clearer now?

MM2DYLAN
02-23-2009, 09:12 AM
A person saying "fuck" is OK. A person using this word in his/her every sentence - for no reason - is not OK.

Clearer now?

Why is that not okay? I've heard worse in my own life, and on here. I can find more than 500 uses of the word fuck on here.

TheThirdHalf
02-23-2009, 09:17 AM
some of you guys should just stick to Pixar if you find the violence in RZH diplorable. Give me a break. I've seen worse on CSI

Ivan
02-23-2009, 10:15 AM
One of the many aspects that most of the Halloween movies had were interesting and intelligent dialogues. But in RZH, it looked like the director was unable or had serious difficulties to make a normal dialogue. There are people who like them, Rob!

MM2DYLAN
02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
This film had perhaps the most real, normal dialogue I've heard in a Halloween film. Maybe not the most intelligent, but certainly the most realistic.

Ivan
02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
We must have been watching some different movies then.

TheThirdHalf
02-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Yes you must've had the "I live in a sterile environment" version in :D

Ivan
02-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Don't get me wrong - I can watch movies with swearing and nudity. Get me a pack of the finest Czech beer, some good food and a cool band of people and I can watch them for the whole day.

But one would expect that a movie, which uses the legendary name of MM and Halloween would deliver something deeper. There is only a very small number of things in RZH that are similar to the rest of the franchise.

Don't argue that Rob was trying to show his own vision. This was no vision.

MM2DYLAN
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
The Halloween series hasn't been deep for years.

TheThirdHalf
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
I am quite sure that the producers knew what they were in for when hiring Zombie. It's not as if they saw the dailies and said "HOly shit! this guy is fucked!"

They hired him for a particular job, and obviously they feel he did them well or he wouldn't be returning. They needed something different, and got it

Ivan
02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
RZH is on the top of "Movies lacking deepness" list.

MM2DYLAN
02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Does that honestly really matter in the end? This series lost it's "deepness" years before RZH.

Ivan
02-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Depends on the way you look at it:

In general, it does not matter. But within the borders of this thread, it does. We're here to analyze, praise and criticize.

gooman16
02-23-2009, 01:54 PM
yea idt the movie was that vulgar, but it was probably one of the most vulgar out of all of them

MM2DYLAN
02-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Depends on the way you look at it:

In general, it does not matter. But within the borders of this thread, it does. We're here to analyze, praise and criticize.

That may be so, but to say there's more realistic and intelligent dialogue in most of the other films is a ridiculous claim. The only intelligent dialogue was from Loomis, and he began to go crazy anyway.

Diamond Wings
02-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I think it was too vulgar, judging by the standards I hold the original Halloween to. We just didn't expect so much swearing and drawn out death scenes. It wasn't really necessary.

Slasher Fan
02-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I think it was too vulgar. Even Laurie was tarnished by it.

I really don't care for this movie. It's just not a Halloween movie to me. But I did love Malcolm McDowell. The only decent thing in it, IMO.

MyersVictim
03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm just sick of Zombie using the same "white trash" formula for all his movies. He did iit in House of 10000 Corpses and TDR, fine, but don't bring it into Halloween

MischievousSpirit
03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm just sick of Zombie using the same "white trash" formula for all his movies. He did iit in House of 10000 Corpses and TDR, fine, but don't bring it into Halloween

Too late bud. He's done it, and it's here to stay! Long live Rob Zombie's touch to Halloween! :rock:

MyersVictim
03-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Too late bud. He's done it, and it's here to stay! Long live Rob Zombie's touch to Halloween! :rock:

*Sigh* Yeah, I know, I still love the movie regardless.:bow:

jamieh5150
03-31-2009, 07:05 PM
I voted no, I liked the film just fine. All the vulgarity wasn't necessary, but I didn't find it offensive. I've heard far worse.

zombie commando
04-02-2009, 05:28 AM
I hear far worse in a single hour hanging out with my friends than I did in this flick.

Bukendaa
04-02-2009, 06:29 AM
I wouldent watch it with my grandma thats for sure.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I hear far worse in a single hour hanging out with my friends than I did in this flick.

Apparently, you and I are the only ones around here who have those friends. haha Everyone else's friends must be quakers or some shit.

TheShape'78
04-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Until pretty recently I thought the language was a bit much, but that was just because I wasn't used to a HalloweeN film having so much cussing. But I look at the other films I watch that are loaded with "fucks" and "shits" out the asshole, and I thought to myself "why do I hold Halloween to a different standard than my other entertainment". And as zombie commando and Yottle have said, I and the people I hang out with have major potty mouths. I love saying bad words, fuck probably being one of my favorites. I think on it now and since I have put things into perspective, and it is just like who cares? And when you think about the fact that the movie is about murder, dirty words shouldn't bother anyone. People get so upset about nudity and bad words, but yet are just fine with people getting brutally murdered. It is kinda bass ackwards if you really think about it. So in short, do I think RZH is too vulgar? Inititally I found it, not really too vulgar, but a bit much. But after thinking about, no I don't think it is. I just wasn't used to Halloween having so much of that kinda talk, but I look at other movies I watch (especially my comedies) and they are really just as bad, and I don't judge those films for having filthy words. So why can't a Halloween film be just as filthy? It is just a movie and people really do talk that way, so it really isn't unrealistic (especially when I look at myself. I curse so much).

-mitch-

DLKern
04-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I didn't find it vulgar as much as I found the dialogue at times to be too cliche.

Nightmareman88
04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I didn't find it vulgar as much as I found the dialogue at times to be too cliche.

The opening with the family is hilariously bad!

Lord Thurisaz
04-02-2009, 01:49 PM
RZH is only vulgar because of the original's "good/innocent vs. evil" theme it had going.

Danny Strode
04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
I wouldent watch it with my grandma thats for sure.

Isn't that the truth? Both of mine would probably shoot me.

Apparently, you and I are the only ones around here who have those friends. haha Everyone else's friends must be quakers or some shit.

Hey, now. For the record, I have friends like that too. I just don't hang out with them.

Serrated
04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I voted yes, however that's not to say I haven't said or heard a hell of a lot worse on a day to day basis when hanging out. Though I have to say, I think the vulgarity were purposefully injected into the script. The original really does linger somewhere in an almost 'good old days' atmosphere of innocence and small town mentality, not to claim the 70s were 'innocent' so to speak but the original was designed to give off that 'it couldn't happen here' feel.

I think RZ wanted to make this remake his own and step as far away from that persona as he could, even Laurie wasn't little miss innocent anymore. I also think, that's just keeping up with the times also. The demographic of this film are not, for the most part I assume, children of the flower power generation as they were 30 years ago. They're the generation who have porn readily available at the click of a mouse and see their peers shooting up schools every year.

I think if you stood outside the theater and polled anyone between 14 and 25 walking out and asked them if the film was too extreme, for the most part, you'd get the answer 'fuck no.'

wyatt s
04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Count me amongst the list of people with friends far more foulmouthed than this movie is. My friends and I cuss so often as to make RZH look like kids programming. Why? Because we enjoy adding flavor to our conversations I guess....

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Over in the General Discussion threads for RZH2, members are constantly talking about three-ways with Scout and Danielle, lesbian scenes between the two, and the latest...licking cocaine off Danielle's, and I quote, "cooch."

And people have the nerve to call this movie vulgar? haha Whatever.

myerslilBRO
04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
i voted no...i don't think RZ is vulgar...i've heard far worse just being at work...and the people i work with are much older than i am

The Frightmaster
04-03-2009, 04:31 PM
And the latest...licking cocaine off Danielle's, and I quote, "cooch.

Hahahaha, I laughed out loud when I read that. :laugh:

TouchMe4Money
04-04-2009, 02:19 AM
This was considered one of the most anticipated new-millennium remakes. I mean, "the" most. Anyone who's seen a Rob Zombie flick knows the guy just brings that kind of stupidity to everything he has his fingers in.

Rob Zombie + sophisticated, intelligently-constructed narratives, thought-provoking dialogue, etc... Go together like Al Franken + Bill O'Reilly in a hottub.

slipknot666
04-04-2009, 02:26 AM
Vulgar? As said before, there is nothing in this movie that isn't being done in our(sorry, only some of us) everyday routine. Fuck, there is nothing fucking vulgar about this movie...It seems to represent everyday life to me.

TouchMe4Money
04-04-2009, 02:31 AM
And yet, I don't have to pay $10 + Concession Treats to "enjoy" everyday routines...

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-04-2009, 02:32 AM
But seriously, with the kind of ridiculous (and yes, "vulgar") shit that gets talked on this board every single day of the fucking week, what, suddenly we're "above" that? haha

And for the record, The Devil's Rejects is a better film than any Halloween movie of the past twenty years. Not very stiff competition from the Halloween camp, I know...but that is what we're here for, right? Because we all love a slasher series...despite the fact that it's full of dumb-as-a-box-of-hair sequels. But where Rob Zombie is concerned, we all get sophisticated all of a sudden. haha Suddenly, we're connoisseurs, who are above such nonsense.

Bollocks.

TouchMe4Money
04-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Well, in the case of Rob Zombie and The Devil's Rejects... It kind of looks like they spent more money on House of 1,000 Corpses. A film that actually had some style to it. I enjoyed that a lot more than Rejects.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-04-2009, 02:47 AM
They did spend more on Ho1KC, actually...or roughly the same amount. But Ho1KC was basically a homicidal Warner Brothers cartoon on acid. If you prefer the "style" to grit, that's your choice, obviously. And as such, I guess I could see how you might rate a lot of the out-and-out shit that the Halloween franchise has produced over Zombie's work. But as much as I love Halloween, there honestly aren't many good movies in the series, are there? I mean, actually good. As in, not crap. haha

slipknot666
04-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Well, in the case of Rob Zombie and The Devil's Rejects... It kind of looks like they spent more money on House of 1,000 Corpses. A film that actually had some style to it. I enjoyed that a lot more than Rejects.
Well, right on. To me personally, TDR is a badass movie(so is 1000 Corpses). I just happen to prefer TDR.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-04-2009, 03:04 AM
I just have to laugh every time slasher fans turn their noses up at something they consider to be "vulgar" or "in poor taste." Like the movies we actually love from the slasher sub-genre were ever high art to begin with. I swear, these days, sometimes the fans sound as out of it as the critics.

TouchMe4Money
04-04-2009, 03:07 AM
They did spend more on Ho1KC, actually...or roughly the same amount. But Ho1KC was basically a homicidal Warner Brothers cartoon on acid. If you prefer the "style" to grit, that's your choice, obviously.
I like my grit classic. 70's. True 70's. Wes Craven, Tobe Hooper, Alan Orsmby. Not revisionist, wannabe-retro passion projects with mind-numbing, tedius "dialogue" and a pack of inspiredly cast but wasted cameos.

That's my choice. Yes.

And as such, I guess I could see how you might rate a lot of the out-and-out shit that the Halloween franchise has produced over Zombie's work. But as much as I love Halloween, there honestly aren't many good movies in the series, are there? I mean, actually good. As in, not crap. haha
Agreed. But I don't mistake what Rob Zombie does as any kind of substance. His stuff is crap too. So, talking about choices - you like his gritty crap. I can somehow make it through his colorful, funhouse crap. At least it goes more in-line with who he was all throughout the 90's and captures some of the spirit of his music. The Devil's Rejects and Halloween seems his bid to become someone else.

I'd be the first one to nod my head in agreement about your whole "Connoisseur" argument. But I don't see anything Rob Zombie's got in his bag of tricks that elevates the Halloween series in any way above the mind-searingly awful garbage on display in Halloweens 5 and 6.

If you do, congratulations. You can keep it.

Black Sunshine
04-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Maybe it has something to do with where we are from... but i have seen NOTHING in RZH or any of his past movies that were considered to be Vulgar...only real.... some people like their head in the clouds envisioning the perfect emptiness of thier existance, i prefer to keep my eyes right here in the shit! the place where my eyes, my ears and my mouth are full. there is no deception here and its reflection is filled with more color than grey rain curtains in which other choose to exist. But if u choose to live in Heaven then u should not gaze your eyes upon Hell....for all u seek is the moral conviction of being "better".

ScareGasm
04-04-2009, 08:21 AM
This movie just doesn't even exist to me. Of course I had to see it when it was released, but I was pretty disappointed. I've said it once and I'll say it again. He needs to focus on his whole House of 1,000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects type of movies and slowly back as far away from the Halloween franchise as possible, throw the script away, and let someone familiar direct, write, cast, and etc. And most of all, if you can't find a good actor to play Dr. Loomis, then with all do respect leave his character out of the movie. I have yet to see someone who I could honestly say would pay tribute to our belated Donald Pleasance and do it justice (even though maybe no one ever will be able to fill his wonderful shoes).

TouchMe4Money
04-04-2009, 10:34 AM
This movie just doesn't even exist to me.
And if only Zombie hadn't made it, it wouldn't exist for me either.

carol
04-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't know if I could except this movie myself.

TheShape'78
04-04-2009, 10:46 AM
And most of all, if you can't find a good actor to play Dr. Loomis, then with all do respect leave his character out of the movie.

You're calling Malcolm McDowell a bad actor? I think he did the role well with the exception of a few forced lines from the original HalloweeN he was forced to recite, but other than that he played the character as it was written very well. Obviously this isn't the same HalloweeN Donald was in and this isn't the same Loomis either, and if you just don't like the character that's fine, but to say Malcolm isn't a good actor is laughable.

-mitch-

TouchMe4Money
04-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I've found that Malcom leaves me cold with almost everything he does.

HFeildsGangsta
04-04-2009, 11:37 AM
"Gimme a Fuckin Break, He's Prolly A Queer, Gunna End Up Cuttin His Dick N' Ballz Off And Changin' His Name To Michelle"

Hahahahaa ...

And Naw, I don't think its too vulgar. Nowdays fuck, shit, damn, hell, asshole, dickhead is just normal vocab in a conversation.

Black Sunshine
04-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Some people need to realize that the convent burned down long ago.....

Diamond Wings
04-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I just have to laugh every time slasher fans turn their noses up at something they consider to be "vulgar" or "in poor taste." Like the movies we actually love from the slasher sub-genre were ever high art to begin with. I swear, these days, sometimes the fans sound as out of it as the critics.

Although I'm one to vote that the film is a bit more vulgar than is necessary, I don't turn my nose up at it because of that. After all, Michael Myers is the core and that makes me happy.:nodsmile:

Black Sunshine
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
yeah man, all im sayin is, If u buy the ticket, take the ride!...

TheThirdHalf
04-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Yep, if ya can't party with the big boys, don't show up! haha

Black Sunshine
04-13-2009, 04:15 AM
If people really thought that this movie was vulger, i wonder what they think of Foriegn films... they can really press a button!

MM2DYLAN
04-13-2009, 05:32 AM
I don't get how Halloween's so much classier a franchise than something like Friday the 13th. I don't hold Halloween in such a high regard that much after the first four films.

DLKern
04-13-2009, 06:16 AM
I don't get how Halloween's so much classier a franchise than something like Friday the 13th. I don't hold Halloween in such a high regard that much after the first four films.

I think the reason that Halloween is held (generally) in much higher regard than either the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street franchises is based entirely on the original film. While it may have been largely ignored at first by critics, quite a few of them now believe that it is the best thriller since Psycho.

The first Friday the 13th movie is solid, as is the first Nightmare on Elm Street, but neither is held in the same high regard as John Carpenter's Halloween.

TheThirdHalf
04-13-2009, 06:32 AM
And HalloweeN didn't get quite as retarded as the others as the series went on. NOES made it to part three before the original character was ruined, and Jason ended up in space haha

TouchMe4Money
04-13-2009, 06:48 AM
If people really thought that this movie was vulger, i wonder what they think of Foriegn films... they can really press a button!
I don't understand what you mean? Do you have any examples?

"Gimme a Fuckin Break, He's Prolly A Queer, Gunna End Up Cuttin His Dick N' Ballz Off And Changin' His Name To Michelle"

Hahahahaa ...
Actually, I don't think that's funny. Or clever. A 9-year old could come up with that stuff. Even the humor is Jason Lives is more sophisticated than that (though not by much).

And Naw, I don't think its too vulgar. Nowdays fuck, shit, damn, hell, asshole, dickhead is just normal vocab in a conversation.
True. But I think maybe this whole post may have risen out of the thinking that movies should probably be a little more sophisticated than real life at times. I mean, the violence and sexuality we see in movies itself is vulgar and forward enough to where we don't need language to be the same. In fact, sentences like those you've mentioned above is like the filmmaker trying to make dialogue scenes as angry and vicious as the violence and sexuality. I don't know about you, but I'm not attacked by killers on a daily basis. Nor do I see others attacked by killers... So, I'm more turned off by that kind of language watching movies like these than I am watching the violence.

It seems to be a problem in a huge lot of today's horror that all the characters talk just like that. That makes it almost impossible to be interested in what they say or do, to relate to them, or feel any sympathy for them at all. In fact, most people in real life who talk like that - I avoid. And I watch most movies to get away from reality. So why would I want to watch a movie like this? You've got "characters" who talk like they belong on some trailer-park reality TV show and a killer who looks like a professional wrestler. Most killers don't look like professional wrestlers. So, there goes realism right out of the window.

Black Sunshine
04-13-2009, 06:51 AM
watch Old Boy or Visitor Q....

michealjamie6
04-13-2009, 07:00 AM
I think that is not too much:bastard:

MM2DYLAN
04-13-2009, 07:01 AM
I say, bring on more profanity.

TouchMe4Money
04-13-2009, 07:13 AM
watch Old Boy or Visitor Q...
Do they classify as horror films? :D

Black Sunshine
04-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Do they classify as horror films? :D

nope! thats the best part... These Koreans are twisted! love it

Inhumane
04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Is RZH to Vulgar???

Yes, I do. I thought the vulgar language was so over the top it was embarrassing and unintentionally comical. Unfortunately, it's all Zombie knows. He has zero range as a writer. All he knows is vulgarity and white trash shenanigans. It's sad that's what the Halloween brand has been reduced to.

FTL
04-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I think the profanity was forced and it didn't sound natural at all. If it did, I wouldn't have a problem. I think the curses rolled of Forsythe's tongue pretty well, but the other actors not so much. I was cringing at some parts, like the bathroom scene. That was just ridiculous lol

Black Sunshine
04-13-2009, 12:12 PM
yeah the bathroom scene did one thing for me, made me want michael to kill that fucker...........and he did!

Five by Five
04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
It was a little over the top, but for the most part, a lot of people actually talk like pigs like that. Think about the H2 forums, people talking about snorting cocaine out of Lauries vagina!

But the vulgarity fit into the story as to explaining how and why he ended up that way.

zombie commando
04-15-2009, 08:36 AM
I've found that Malcom leaves me cold with almost everything he does.

Even Clockwork Orange?

Black Sunshine
04-15-2009, 08:49 AM
If this was too vulgar then i can just imagin the feed back we will get from H2.... as it will pretty much be the same, if not better....and by better i mean more! Hard-ons need to lighten up a little.

carol
04-15-2009, 08:58 AM
If this was too vulgar then i can just imagin the feed back we will get from H2.... as it will pretty much be the same, if to better....and by better i mean more! Hard-ons need to lighten up a little.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Zombie's sequel.

Five by Five
04-15-2009, 09:04 AM
See thats another thing. We have no idea what to expect from H2 so when that comes out we cant bitch about how the original scene wasnt that vulgar. Other than when Linda talked about school and Annie during her sex scene, there wasnt really any vulgarity after it jumped forward.

Walton
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
I think, as funny as this will sound, is that RZH is almost too real of a depiction of a "white trash" family. When I saw this movie, i said to myself, "ok, now I know why Michael Myers is so fucked up", and the only real problem I have with is that I could actually see some kid from a real family like that going on a rampage some day (and Im sure its already happened). The original didnt have that. Michael myers was this cute kid who at random began killing. He was silent and more mysterious. I think many of us would agree that Myers from the original is the star of the movie and an icon. And there was a touch of class to the movie and the character. The problem with RZH is that his Myers crossed the line between a supervillian type of character which for the most part is how I see the original Myers, and left us with an actual disgusting human being. It had a realism about it that, ironically, I thought was not as enjoyable in its style as the original. I wonder if thats what people are mixing up. The movie was not over the top vulgar, its just the Myers character is just too disturbed to really enjoy. (IMO)
I actually enjoyed RZH quite abit, but it is definetly a different type of film than any in the Halloween series. And Im not trying to compare the orignal film with RZH in quality, because there is no comparison, I just think the styles are extremely different and thats part of the issue with RZH.

Five by Five
04-15-2009, 09:40 AM
And I agree with that last statement. I think that seems to be what throws people off: RZH is completely different from the original. He didn't even want to have ANY remake elements within it at all, but he felt that at some points he had to cater to the fans.

What it comes down to is that people seem to get a little more taken back by watching the Myers family and hearing how they speak and such and refuse to admit that there really are people like that in the real world. People call it white trash, but obviously there are white trash people in the real world so he has it down. Robs whole intention while making the film was that he wanted it to be so realistic that people would have a hard time watching it. That's a good move.

Black Sunshine
04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Mikey's family life could have been the same in the original... we just dont know because Carpenter never dove into that stuff... his movie is only 90 min long...

TheThirdHalf
04-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I think the term 'white trash' is being thrown around way to freely. It's almost a damn copout anymore

Nightmareman88
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I think that seems to be what throws people off: RZH is completely different from the original. He didn't even want to have ANY remake elements within it at all, but he felt that at some points he had to cater to the fans.

And that's where the problem lies with Rob Zombie's Halloween.

When Michael gets to Haddonfield, the movie becomes uninvolving as he proceeds to do a kind of scene by scene imitation of the original instead of reinventing it through his own more realistic vision of the story. In the end, Zombie betrays himself by not making his own film.

Walton
04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Mikey's family life could have been the same in the original... we just dont know because Carpenter never dove into that stuff... his movie is only 90 min long...

You have a really good point there. Maybe his family was shit, But, I think because they never got into it, it made the character more mysterious. With RZH, I think the way the showed the family being as rough as they are, it took away from the mystery of why Michael killed. He just seems like one of those messed up kids who came from a shitty family, that you would hear about in the news in real life. I sure some people like the realism of that, because not all families are sweet and loving, but for me, I like to watch movies to forget about shit like that, and thats one of the reasons the original was more enjoyable for me. It was fun and entertaining, but didnt dive into the issue of social problems and the effect it has on (in this case) children.

Lord Thurisaz
04-15-2009, 12:28 PM
I originally wrote RZH off as being crap the 1st time I watched it, but I received it in the mail the other day and have to say, it's a lot better than I remembered watching the first time. It's like I didn't even give it a chance the first time.

And as for the cursing, it's not much, actually. Ronnie and the 'extra characters' curse the most, and Ronnie was DAMN FUNNY! Him and Joe Grizzly should have had a little more screen time, I think. If you're gonna go almost 2 full hours, why not spend 5 more minutes with two funny characters? Perhaps they should've done something like this for the DVD, like the odd commercials for Captain Spaulding's, and whatnot on the Devil's Rejects DVD.

carol
04-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I originally wrote RZH off as being crap the 1st time I watched it, but I received it in the mail the other day and have to say, it's a lot better than I remembered watching the first time. It's like I didn't even give it a chance the first time.

And as for the cursing, it's not much, actually. Ronnie and the 'extra characters' curse the most, and Ronnie was DAMN FUNNY! Him and Joe Grizzly should have had a little more screen time, I think. If you're gonna go almost 2 full hours, why not spend 5 more minutes with two funny characters? Perhaps they should've done something like this for the DVD, like the odd commercials for Captain Spaulding's, and whatnot on the Devil's Rejects DVD.

Ronnie was crazy. He's been drinking too much.

Lord Thurisaz
04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Ronnie was crazy. He's been drinking too much.

"...if you don't think I ain't makin' a mental list of your bullshit!"

:bastard:

carol
04-15-2009, 01:06 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :yar:

MM2DYLAN
04-15-2009, 01:07 PM

I think they might do some of that with the Uncle Coffins stuff in H2.

Nemesis1835
04-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Over in the General Discussion threads for RZH2, members are constantly talking about three-ways with Scout and Danielle, lesbian scenes between the two, and the latest...licking cocaine off Danielle's, and I quote, "cooch."

And people have the nerve to call this movie vulgar? haha Whatever.

Id Rather Lick Cocaine of Scout Taylor Comptons tastey pussy although i dont do cocaine

Nemesis1835
04-16-2009, 03:00 AM
:bastard::
I wouldent watch it with my grandma thats for sure. I Grew Up Watching All The Halloween Movies With My Gandma

Nemesis1835
04-16-2009, 03:03 AM

:bastard::roflmao:

Ronnie: "Hes gonna end up groing up cutting his dick and balls off and change his name to michelle"

TouchMe4Money
04-16-2009, 04:23 AM
Even Clockwork Orange?
Actually, no. He did 2 other things there- pissed me off (he's not a likable character in that one, not at all) and turned me on (yes I found him pretty physically desirable, divorcing him from the nasty things he did).

By the way, I only saw that movie once. And it was the middle of the night, I was slipping into a coma, and the quality of the VHS wasn't good. I missed a lot.

Yes, I do. I thought the vulgar language was so over the top it was embarrassing and unintentionally comical. Unfortunately, it's all Zombie knows. He has zero range as a writer. All he knows is vulgarity and white trash shenanigans. It's sad that's what the Halloween brand has been reduced to.
PERFECT reply, I couldn't agree more. Except I want to add that this movie also has none of the style of the original. It's just more of Rob Zombie's I Love the 70's marathon. Lame, obnoxious, unintelligent, not scary. Pure snoozefest. Pure crap.

Five by Five
04-16-2009, 06:50 PM
id rather lick cocaine of scout taylor comptons tastey pussy although i dont do cocaine

^^^^^^vulgar^^^^^^^

FTL
04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
^^^^^^vulgar^^^^^^^

lol yeah, I agree that some of the shit said on here probably surpasses anything that Rob could come up with. haha I'm also kinda irritated that everyone is starting to say this "I'll lick coke off so-and-so's coochie" bullshit being that I was the first one to post it just for shits and giggles. Now every asshole and their mother is saying it.

Lord Thurisaz
04-16-2009, 08:16 PM
You're just mad because no one wants to lick cocaine off of your coochie, Steve. :D

Jennifer81
04-16-2009, 08:24 PM
If you want to get serious about this thread, and dump all the sexual references, then the answer to the question is, yes, he's vulgar.
But in a cheap nasty manner.

One forbidden path you do not cross in film is filming rape scenes!
It's a no-no in my books.

Last House on the Left, I spit on your Grave (the day of the woman) and I think there was one in Deathwish to, but I stand corrected on that one.

In the cinema we didn't see the rape scene in Zombie's Halloween and when I saw it it was a turn off.

You don't film that in a movie.
It's a border you don't cross.

Don't do it just to be controversial.
How cheap was it seeing that fuck Christmas t-shirt in the '09 remake of Friday the 13th?

Don't mind me saying...but from looking at some of these news pictures of this up coming Zombie Halloween 2 movie it just looks like one of his old album booklets or House of a thousand corpses.
It looks candy ass!

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-17-2009, 02:03 AM
You don't film that in a movie.
It's a border you don't cross.

Bullshit. Just flat-out bullshit. And I've said why too many times already to be bothered to repeat it. haha

That said, the rape scene in RZH was pointless, and the film was better off without it. But anyone who says "OMG, U NEVER CAN SHOW RAPE SCENE IN MOVIE, IT CROSSES A LINE!!!!!111" seriously needs to get over their own bullshit.

Watch The Accused and try to tell me that the rape scene wasn't absolutely 100% fucking necessary.

Bukendaa
04-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Alot of movies have Rape in them just like alot of movies have Heart atacks in them its a problem in this world and the media shows you what and does happen in this world. so jen81 go F#### ya self.Yes i think the escape seen was a better option but im happy with both.

Nightmareman88
04-17-2009, 02:12 AM
Bullshit. Just flat-out bullshit. And I've said why too many times already to be bothered to repeat it. haha

That said, the rape scene in RZH was pointless, and the film was better off without it. But anyone who says "OMG, U NEVER CAN SHOW RAPE SCENE IN MOVIE, IT CROSSES A LINE!!!!!111" seriously needs to get over their own bullshit.

Watch The Accused and try to tell me that the rape scene wasn't absolutely 100% fucking necessary.

EOTL....

Jennifer81 is a female. Of course she thinks it's wrong. ;)

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-17-2009, 02:18 AM
EOTL....

Jennifer81 is a female. Of course she thinks rape scenes in movies are wrong. ;)

Don't stereotype females, man. A lot of women understand that rape scenes have their place in cinema, just as anything else does.

My sister loves A Clockwork Orange...hell, even my mother thought it was a great film. And women all over the world applauded The Accused as a fantastic film about female empowerment. Christ, you'll find more rape scenes in feminist cinema than anywhere else. haha So let's not say that gender is the sole issue.

Nightmareman88
04-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Don't stereotype females, man. A lot of women understand that rape scenes have their place in cinema, just as anything else does.

My sister loves A Clockwork Orange...hell, even my mother thought it was a great film. And women all over the world applauded The Accused as a fantastic film about female empowerment. Christ, you'll find more rape scenes in feminist cinema than anywhere else. haha So let's not say that gender is the sole issue.

Well it's just my experience with females. I have never come across anyone who tolerates rape scenes or for that matter overly violent movies.

Bukendaa
04-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Who does like rape? Its a evil thing aout power and lust.But back on track though RZH could have done alot of less sweaing in it but hey you are dealing with Rob Zombie.Did DR Loomis swear i think i herd him once or twice.

EvilOnTwoLegs
04-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Well it's just my experience with females. I have never come across anyone who likes rape scenes or for that matter overly violent movies.

The viewer isn't supposed to LIKE a rape scene. haha Its purpose is not to be liked. That is, in fact, the precise opposite of its purpose. That doesn't mean it's irrelevant, or automatically crosses some line where filmmakers ought not tread.

No one with an ounce of decency...male or female...likes a rape scene. But I think it only stands to reason that anyone with an ounce of common sense...male or female...would understand why such scenes are included in certain films, and why they're important in some films.

And of course, I can point to any of a number of films in which a man is raped...The Shawshank Redemption, American History X, and so on. Do I like those scenes? Do I enjoy watching one man rape another? No, and I'm not supposed to. But those scenes are absolutely crucial to those films - they disturb and upset the viewer (which is a vital component to film sometimes...it's not all fun and games), and they move the story forward in an essential way - and I would never try to say that they cross some imaginary "line" that allegedly exists in cinema. There is no such line.

Nightmareman88
04-17-2009, 03:26 AM
The viewer isn't supposed to LIKE a rape scene.

I meant tolerate. :D

Black Sunshine
04-17-2009, 04:19 AM
I actually am turned off more by a bad comedy, than a rape scene! I agree with EOTL, because everything has its place in Cinema. It is as if Life and Art are reflected upon in the same mirror and seemlessly fit together. that goes the same for the supposedly vulgar tones of this movie that everyone likes to point out.

If it was Michael Myers, Jason Vorhees, Pinhead, Chucky or Freddy Kruegur saying the "vulgar" lines of the film there would be no uproar as they are the "bad guy" and thats what bad guys do. but give the potty-mouths to the everyday people within the film and the fans go a bit nutty over the idea that the thin line of good and bad has been blurred. This Film is not vulgar, its just a reflection of that wich your choose to not to see.

TouchMe4Money
04-17-2009, 04:54 AM

Haha (it's a classic, anyone can use it), most men I find are not too keen on defending the rape scenes in The Accused. I think they probably feel the movie's use of it insults their intelligence. Yet I find, it's the one moment where the movie challenges the perception people have of her as an easy or loose woman. All we see throughout the movie are people who treat her badly. We don't see her past. So, I think the rape scene was doing. Showing us the cause as well as the effect. Showing us that, any woman in her position who just wanted to have a little fun, would have ended up being violated the way she was then. She was in an area where no one would have stopped the guys. We had to be shown that scene, because up 'til then all we had were clues but no real proof. Yet, that scene has always been debated by audiences and viewers from its' release up to this very day.

On the other hand, I totally agree with Jennifer who said, "Don't do it just to be controversial." And I know certain movies have done that, and not managed to achieve any higher goals than just showing women being brutalized. I Spit on Your Grave being the most obvious.

zombie commando
04-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Rape Squad would have never been the same without the rape.:bastard:

TouchMe4Money
04-17-2009, 05:26 AM
To quote Roger Ebert on Rape Squad:

"The men in it are creeps at best and sex maniacs at worst, so the audience can't get off on the usual macho punch lines. But the women, who organize an anti-rapist guerrilla unit, get the idea while floating completely nude in a whirlpool bath. So while they're doing their rewrite of Betty Freidan, they're putting on a skin show at the same time."

I don't often listen to critics, but that's some inspired criticism if ever I read any.

Psych0ticNemes1s
04-17-2009, 05:59 AM
The viewer isn't supposed to LIKE a rape scene. haha Its purpose is not to be liked. That is, in fact, the precise opposite of its purpose. That doesn't mean it's irrelevant, or automatically crosses some line where filmmakers ought not tread.

No one with an ounce of decency...male or female...likes a rape scene. But I think it only stands to reason that anyone with an ounce of common sense...male or female...would understand why such scenes are included in certain films, and why they're important in some films.

And of course, I can point to any of a number of films in which a man is raped...The Shawshank Redemption, American History X, and so on. Do I like those scenes? Do I enjoy watching one man rape another? No, and I'm not supposed to. But those scenes are absolutely crucial to those films - they disturb and upset the viewer (which is a vital component to film sometimes...it's not all fun and games), and they move the story forward in an essential way - and I would never try to say that they cross some imaginary "line" that allegedly exists in cinema. There is no such line.

Well said... but I believe in this case it was unnecessary and added nothing of importance. As a prequel type movie, anything of importance should have focused on Michael, not prison guards.

Five by Five
04-17-2009, 07:35 AM
I love when its an interesting subject, because EOTL always sounds so good and intelligent when talking about it. Thats why I love reading his posts.

And I agree on every part. A film, especially one where a filmmaker tries to make it the most realistic such as Rob Zombies films or say The Last House On The Left for instance, where a rape scene is needed to progress the story, then it fits. A film like American History X, that scene wasnt just put in there to be controversial, it was put in there because it progressed the story. All scenes have their place in films, as well as rape scenes.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the rape scene in Robs Halloween Unrated...the theatrical version is proof that the scene was not needed to progress the story, which is probably why the theatrical version is canon and not the unrated.