PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Michael wear those paper-maché masks he made

tmlfan4life
02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Does anyone else have a hard time seeing Michael as an adult wearing those paper-maché masks he made himself? Maybe it's because we are use to the normall masks from any of the previous Halloween movies, but I just think it's weird seeing him as a grown adult wearing them and etc.

MyersFan75
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
It was strange, and I didn't like it.

I know for a fact some people loved the various masks he wears, but I thought it felt cliched and dull.

Severed
02-08-2008, 04:31 AM
I really liked it myself. I think it's one of the main things that seperates '07 Michael from '78.The pumpkin mask was awesome, IMO.

Slapshot
02-08-2008, 06:32 AM
It didn't really make any difference to me. This wasn't the same Michael that we have always seen. This was a different one so it wasn't jarring or anything to me seeing him wear something besides the iconic mask.

Laurie2007
02-08-2008, 06:47 AM
yeah i really didnt like it either but hey whatever works for them i guess

captainoneliner
02-08-2008, 07:45 AM
It's weird seeing them, but that's kind of the idea, I think. The mask obsession I didn't really mind. It was some background color that I thought was good.

I used to have an unhealthy interest in masks also. Too bad I never had a sister.

Severed
02-08-2008, 08:08 AM
I used to have an unhealthy interest in masks also. Too bad I never had a sister.

Maybe you do and you just don't know. She could be hidden away somewhere, waiting for the day you will return......

captainoneliner
02-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Maybe you do and you just don't know. She could be hidden away somewhere, waiting for the day you will return......

!! I knew this rage burned in me for a reason. Thank you!!

Khan
02-08-2008, 10:22 AM
It didn't bother me.

MyersFan28
02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
The masks Michael made didn't bother me,I found them to be a nice touch. In fact I consider the pumpkin mask,a tie to the classic white mask. That we have grown to love since the original.

Making the masks fit well into the origin of Michael Myers. It was certainly better having him make masks than sit in a room.And stare at at wall or look out a window. I'm one of those guys who just has to have something to do.

I think Michael made the masks,not only to hide what he believed to be ugly. But he needed something to keep him mind off wanting to get out. I also wished they established a scene where he had the b/w photo up in his room. To tell us that his thoughts were always on his sister.

Laow-Z
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
but I just think it's weird seeing him as a grown adult wearing them and etc.

And we all know what a "normal" adult the was.....

Patrick1679
02-08-2008, 03:17 PM
I've got mixed feelings on it. It didn't bother that much because it was a "new" Halloween. But I felt it wasn't necessary. Initially I don't think Michael went out and wore the white mask because he had an obsession with wearing masks. It was because it was HALLOWEEN! He didn't go kill people on Thanksgiving or July 4th! That is the only reason why he wore the mask in the original because it was Halloween. :scratchhead:

So there was no reason for a backstory there. What's funny is the more I think about the new Halloween th more disapponted I am with it. I saw it in the theatre a few times and was excited about it then. Probably because it was a new Halloween movie. But as time goes on my favorable opinion of it is dwindling. :dunno:

NYCKing87
02-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Didn't really bother me. It sure as hell was better than seeing him sit in a room looking at the wall.

Michaela_Myers
02-08-2008, 04:39 PM
I liked it. To me, it made him seem like he still had the mind of a child, but at the same time seeing them on this gargantuan man and remembering all the things he did when he was little made it really unsettling.

Danny Strode
02-08-2008, 04:41 PM
It didn't bother me either. I think it was really cool how primitive they were made. The pumpkin one was really neat.

mmyers78
02-09-2008, 06:35 AM
I really liked it because it was something different.

samhain51
02-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Its all he had to do to pass the time when he was locked up

NYCKing87
02-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I can't imagine what I'd do to pass the time. I think I'd die of extreme bordom.

*CHA*MAM*
02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I liked it. To me, it made him seem like he still had the mind of a child, but at the same time seeing them on this gargantuan man and remembering all the things he did when he was little made it really unsettling.

That's what I thought, too.

I liked the making paper mache masks idea, 'cause it was something that made me still relate to him as much as when he was a child in the movie. I can't just sit around in a white room doing nothing. I would start creating more imaginary friends, or kill myself. LOL

I also thought it was a nice backstory to help explain the reasons for the mask, and c'mon, think about it, someone THAT obsessed with masks is a sure psychopath. Psychopaths have no real identity or personality. They just form it around something external... this case that being a mask.

NYCKing87
02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
That's what I thought, too.
I liked the making paper mache masks idea, 'cause it was something that made me still relate to him as much as when he was a child in the movie. I can't just sit around in a white room doing nothing. I would start creating more imaginary friends, or kill myself. LOL
I also thought it was a nice backstory to help explain the reasons for the mask, and c'mon, think about it, someone THAT obsessed with masks is a sure psychopath. Psychopaths have no real identity or personality. They just form it around something external... this case that being a mask.
I absolutely agree.

raydelancey
04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm not digging the paper-mache masks. Takes away from THE mask. THE mask is what makes this series. I get that he's not human and he hides behind these hideous things but it's the plain white mask that makes him look like the hollow soul that he is.

Lord Thurisaz
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
You didn't notice the paper-mache version of "THE mask"?

El Rooto
06-06-2009, 09:04 AM
I liked the way the orange mask looked on him.

EvilOnTwoLegs
06-06-2009, 12:41 PM
It was strange, and I didn't like it.

I know for a fact some people loved the various masks he wears, but I thought it felt cliched and dull.

I think it's interesting that anyone would consider the paper-mache masks "cliched and dull." Wouldn't it, in fact, be more reasonable to say that always wearing the same mask is "cliched and dull?" Cuz I can name a lot of movie series where the killer always wears the same type of mask in every film. On the other hand, I can't think of any off the top of my head where the killer has a stockpile of paper-mache masks at his disposal. So, no...doesn't seems cliched to me at all.

I think that some people just don't like anything different, and will find any way they can to justify that, rather than admit that they hate change. They'll even go so far as to say that the change is the exact opposite of what it is. Because certainly, doing the same thing in every movie is always more cliched than doing something different.

pallecone4
06-06-2009, 02:13 PM
did anyone ever notice this. he was wearing the homemade orange mask when he killed the nurse and when he escaped from smith grove.

haddonfieldfan
06-06-2009, 02:14 PM
I think when people are talking about the mask thing being cliched they perhaps mean that there was maybe too much emphasis on it, that Michael was obsessed with making and wearing them in this film, it was sort of forced on the viewer that he is a mask fan. While in the original franchise he wears the white one in each of the films but a big deal isnt made of it, its just something he does. Also Loomis never mentions it in the original series, while he makes a bit of a deal out of it in the Rob Zombie remake when he is talking with young Mikey.
Personally I quite like it, I bet they never allowed him to have scissors to help make them though lol. Quite the artist is Myers.:)

EvilOnTwoLegs
06-06-2009, 02:16 PM
did anyone ever notice this. he was wearing the homemade orange mask when he killed the nurse and when he escaped from smith grove.

He wears an orange mask when he kills the nurse. It's not the same one he's wearing when he escapes.

I think when people are talking about the mask thing being cliched they perhaps mean that there was maybe too much emphasis on it, that Michael was obsessed with making and wearing them in this film, it was sort of forced on the viewer that he is a mask fan.

In other words, those people have no idea what the definition of the word "cliche" actually is. Interesting.

Diamond Wings
06-09-2009, 05:50 AM
My thoughts...cliched? No. Different? Yes. Did I like it? It was fine with me, but I was aching to see him in his original MM mask.

TheThirdHalf
06-09-2009, 06:07 AM
I thought the mask was pretty badass. It showed how dedicated he was to hiding his features, and further explains demonstrates that he HAS to wear a mask.

theshape09
06-12-2009, 09:10 AM
i like it alot ! i thought the pumpkin mask was cool!

Plokoon111
06-13-2009, 11:28 AM
It made the film look and feel gritty and dirty, which complements the mind of Micheal Myers and how messed up he was. In the original film I thought the only point of the mask was to hide his identity and creep his victims out with it and was the mask he could find. But in this one he had the mask and idolized it as a shrine and tried to make copies of it while he was in the mental place. He seemed to feel insecure without a mask, like the overgrown child he was. I didn't like it but it was very different.

lopli
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
It was strange, but different. I loved it in it's own strange little way. I think they should make latex replicas of all the ones you see him wearing on screen, like the pitch black one, the ifrst one he wars, then the one where you can see his mouth and it's white.

Michael Voorhees
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Everytime I look at the film I love the paper mache masks more and more. It's great in that since he wears them the majority of the time, it kept a lot of people from actually seeing his face, and thus, knowing what he looks like. The jack o'lantern type mask was the best.

nerd
09-27-2009, 05:02 AM
I was totally taken back by the paper mache masks. I thought/think it adds a new element to MM. It gives more depth to MM's charater, that he has some sort of an obsession/fixation with masks. I like that there all pretty messed up in look and in texture.

SuperDave
09-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I dunno. I think he looks pretty scary in that orange one.

You didn't notice the paper-mache version of "THE mask"?

No way! I did NOT notice that! Screencap, please! :yar:

DLKern
11-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I really liked it myself. I think it's one of the main things that seperates '07 Michael from '78.The pumpkin mask was awesome, IMO.

The pumpkin mask owns all of the masks used from H4 onwards...I love that friggin' mask

Stebob1984
11-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Wasn't a fan of these masks, didn't really sit with me tbh. The only one that was decent was that pumpkin one.

o.n.i.x
11-07-2009, 11:27 AM
I despised all of them. They really de-scaried my boogeyman. That and his yeti appearance when Loomis quits his job. What the hell was Rob thinking?! :roflmao:

Stebob1984
11-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I despised all of them. They really de-scaried my boogeyman. That and his yeti appearance when Loomis quits his job. What the hell was Rob thinking?! :roflmao:

Yeah that bit where Loomis quits, I was just like Michael looks so stupid in that funking mask. Yeti comment was funny :roflmao:

DLKern
02-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Shatner, Clown, Pumpkins....just variations on those three basic themes

The Devil's Reject
02-14-2010, 06:54 PM
I enjoyed the mask Michael made it kind of looked like a little like the cover of the original Halloween novel in my opinion.

The Frightmaster
02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Does anyone else have a hard time seeing Michael as an adult wearing those paper-maché masks he made himself? Maybe it's because we are use to the normall masks from any of the previous Halloween movies, but I just think it's weird seeing him as a grown adult wearing them and etc.

I didn't mind seeing him wear the paper mache masks. What I did have a problem with is the reasoning for wearing the masks. If I remember right Michael wanted to wear the masks to hide his face because he thought he was ugly. It was just another thing that Rob wanted to explain that didn't need an explanantion. Rob must of wanted to expose every single aspect of Michael and that really pisses me off. In the original series we didn't really know why he wore the mask and I don't think anyone minded. It was just something else that added to the mystery that was the Shape/Michael Myers. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear the reasoning of hiding his face is Jason. So not only does Michael now have mommy issues like Jason, but now we know he hides his face because he thinks he's ugly. Which correct me if I'm wrong, but Jason wears a mask because he's ashamed of his looks too. So it's nice to see that Rob was able to make the comparsion between the two even closer. I'm guessing Rob has never seen the F13th series. :rolleyes:

Roswell
02-15-2010, 02:11 PM
I didn't mind seeing him wear the paper mache masks. What I did have a problem with is the reasoning for wearing the masks. If I remember right Michael wanted to wear the masks to hide his face because he thought he was ugly. It was just another thing that Rob wanted to explain that didn't need an explanantion. Rob must of wanted to expose every single aspect of Michael and that really pisses me off. In the original series we didn't really know why he wore the mask and I don't think anyone minded. It was just something else that added to the mystery that was the Shape/Michael Myers. The first thing that comes to mind when I hear the reasoning of hiding his face is Jason. So not only does Michael now have mommy issues like Jason, but now we know he hides his face because he thinks he's ugly. Which correct me if I'm wrong, but Jason wears a mask because he's ashamed of his looks too. So it's nice to see that Rob was able to make the comparsion between the two even closer. I'm guessing Rob has never seen the F13th series. :rolleyes:

See, I don't like what people call "explanations" in the film, at least ones that people believe "explain" the original. Zombie's Michael Myers, and what he does, has no effect on Carpenter's Michael Myers, and what he does.

The Shape didn't wear masks in Carpenter's film because he thought he was ugly. It's STILL open for interpretation, just as it always has been. Zombie's Michael Myers does (I guess, anyway. Considering how fucked up he was, I wouldn't exactly believe everything he said.). The only thing this so-called explanation MAY explain is Zombie's Michael Myers. That's not to say you have to like it, but not caring for it because you feel it ruins the mystique of the original is a bullshit reason in my opinion.

The Frightmaster
02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
See, I don't like what people call "explanations" in the film, at least ones that people believe "explain" the original. Zombie's Michael Myers, and what he does, has no effect on Carpenter's Michael Myers, and what he does.

The Shape didn't wear masks in Carpenter's film because he thought he was ugly. It's STILL open for interpretation, just as it always has been. Zombie's Michael Myers does (I guess, anyway. Considering how fucked up he was, I wouldn't exactly believe everything he said.). The only thing this so-called explanation MAY explain is Zombie's Michael Myers. That's not to say you have to like it, but not caring for it because you feel it ruins the mystique of the original is a bullshit reason in my opinion.

I never said that it ruined the mystique of the original Halloween. I said it was one of the elements that ruined the mystery of Michael Myers. Don't put words in my mouth. I was talking about RZ's Michael/the new series Michael.

I talked about Myers being more mysterious in the original series, but I never said anything about ruining the original.

Roswell
02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I never said that it ruined the mystique of the original Halloween. I said it was one of the elements that ruined the mystery of Michael Myers. Don't put words in my mouth.

I talked about Myers being more mysterious in the original series, but I never said anything about ruining the original.

Sorry about the slight mix up there. Whether you were talking about the original film or the original series isn't really important, though. Either way, you said it ruined the mystery behind Michael Myers. My argument was that it doesn't matter because Zombie's Michael Myers isn't directly connected with the original series, therefore it has no real effect on his mystique in those films. It doesn't retroactively remove it, in other words.

If you want to see a film do that, watch something like Halloween 6. :bastard:

The Frightmaster
02-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry about the slight mix up there. Whether you were talking about the original film or the original series isn't really important, though. Either way, you said it ruined the mystery behind Michael Myers. My argument was that it doesn't matter because Zombie's Michael Myers isn't directly connected with the original series, therefore it has no real effect on his mystique in those films. It doesn't retroactively remove it, in other words.

If you want to see a film do that, watch something like Halloween 6. :bastard:

I never said that anything Rob Zombie has done ruined the original series or original Halloween for me or anyone else. I'm strictly talking about the Myers character. I know that Rob's movies have nothing to do with the original series. All I was saying is that I didn't like how Rob decided not to keep "his" Michael Myers mysterious like the Myers character was in the original series. I just feel like if he kept him mysterious it would of been better. And once again what Rob did in his two movies does not effect the way I watch or enjoy the films in the old series.

Ace Amoeba
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm a fan of the paper mache masks in this movie. Micheal's fascination with masks, I feel, is directly related to his fascination with killing. That makes the years creating them in Smith's Grove mean a lot more. Him wearing the orange mask upon escape made way for the iconic moment of the return of the classic mask.

Vampire Queen
08-26-2011, 10:55 PM
I like the whole backstory of WHY he wears them, but as for the mask themselves, no, just no.