PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Flesh eater ....

Michael A Myers
10-12-2004, 10:54 PM
what can u ppl tell me about this movie with out spoilers? some one told me this movie is banned, i cant seem to find info on imdb for this movie

ps, great touch, this forum being in black and white

Maxvayne
10-13-2004, 11:40 AM
A shitty gory movie. I mean the gore is good, but it has little story, little style, and not so good characters.

It's a movie that is titled 'Zombie' in the US and in Italy (where it was made) it is called 'Zombi 2' (The first was Dawn of the dead, titled Zombie, but is an unofficial sequel) and is directed by a so called horror master Lucio Fulci.This movie was trying to cash in on Dawn of the Dead's success.

Zombies are created by voodoo in this one. Many people praise this film, but I do not. Ill try and watch it to see if I missed what's so great about it (fat chance). I got so mad after watching this cheesy crap, that I threw the VHS at my wall (I rented it and sadly I didn't break it).

Just go out and rent it to see what you think. Different strokes for different folks.

Dead Alive
10-28-2004, 12:56 PM
i dont agree...u may have seen the cut version m8 but the uncut was brill...the shark scene was goryer and the splinter in the eye and plus it involves a man eating his m8 to fool them (he just gets made a meal though).

Oliver
10-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Zombvies raise dby voodoo, urgh, not a fan of that. And in the trailer a zombie uses a shotgun, oh well, that sucks. Its probably not as bad as Return of the Living Dead, but I'm not touching this with a 20 foot pole.

Beau
10-31-2004, 06:31 AM
Very cool film.
Set in New York it's very dark. Some nice gore scenes and a realy excellent ending.

Blackesteyes
11-04-2004, 04:35 AM
Compared to others like Zombie Dead and City of the Living Dead this was quite good, but the aforementioned are really quite shit so go figure. Its alright, i got mine for about 6 but i've seen it elsewhere for 20, DO NOT PAY THIS FOR IT. Its not worth 20 quid but if you get it cheap buy it. The final shot is totally worth it tho, sheer brilliance.

Blinkant
11-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Beau
Very cool film.
Set in New York it's very dark. Some nice gore scenes and a realy excellent ending.

Actually, only the first 10 mins and last shots are set in New York.

The film is very cheeply made, much like most of the Italian films zombie films. It's got some really creep music and some good shots but how anyone could say that this is a sequal to DotD, is rediculass.
The film has nothing in common at all with DotD, however, it's true.
You can pick it up in the UK in the Dead of Night collection for 4.99. I say get it, but don't expect anything great.

Blackesteyes
12-16-2004, 05:53 PM
The splinter scene is utterly fucked up, some of the effects are good just because they're so gory that its better than hollywood FX since in reality it is so messy ad hollywood try to make it look pretty whereas the italians just fuck people up royally. Tasty..........................

Creepingmouth
12-17-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Maxvayne
is directed by a so called horror master Lucio Fulci.

so called?
you're terribly wrong there,dude.
Next time make your homework before talkin

Maxvayne
12-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Creepingmouth
so called?
you're terribly wrong there,dude.
Next time make your homework before talkin

I have. Most of his films after Beyond are bad. Regardless If I try Zombie or not agian , he will still have more Bad then good. You want me to list them?

Chomp_on_this
12-17-2004, 08:29 PM
I have. Most of his films after Beyond are bad. Regardless If I try Zombie or not agian , he will still have more Bad then good. You want me to list them?

Oh come on man...you didnt like House by the Cemetary, New York Ripper, Touch of Death, Demonia, or Nightmare Brain? But I do agree...he as just as many bad films (if not more) than good.

Yes make a list, as will I of what I consider the GOOD Fulci has done.

Of the films I saw, I liked...

Don't Torture a Duckling
Zombie
City of the Living Dead
The Beyond
House by the Cemetary
New York Ripper
Touch of Death
Demonia
Nightmare Concert

I didn't like...

Aenigma
Zombi 3
Manhattan Baby
Four of the Apocalypse
Perversion Story
Massacre Time
Maniacs

Maxvayne
12-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Chomp_on_this
Oh come on man...you didnt like House by the Cemetary, New York Ripper, Touch of Death, Demonia, or Nightmare Brain? But I do agree...he as just as many bad films (if not more) than good.

Yes make a list, as will I of what I consider the GOOD Fulci has done.

Don't Torture a Duckling
Zombie
City of the Living Dead
The Beyond
House by the Cemetary
New York Ripper
Touch of Death
Demonia
Nightmare Concert

I didn't like...

Aenigma
Zombi 3
Manhattan Baby
Four of the Apocalypse
Perversion Story
Massacre Time
Maniacs

I feel that his strong point might not be quite in horror, sure he has made few horror classics, but if you see his filmography, he has loads of Comedies and quite a few Gangster pictures. My theory is that his best might be ignored. As you can see his really early films are not on DVD. All that's gonna change when Anchor Bay releases One on Top of the Other.

Chuck D
12-17-2004, 09:10 PM

House by the Cemetary
New York Ripper

Oh dear god no... a stupid lumbering sandwiche-face zombie living in a basement (that belongs to the most badly-dubbed little boy in the history of the world) and a stupid Donald Duck rapist... I expected better from you...

Chomp_on_this
12-17-2004, 09:14 PM
I feel that his strong point might not be quite in horror, sure he has made few horror classics, but if you see his filmography, he has loads of Comedies and quite a few Gangster pictures. My theory is that his best might be ignored. As you can see his really early films are not on DVD. All that's gonna change when Anchor Bay releases One on Top of the Other.

I have to disagree...although I have never seen any of his comedies or mob movies (maybe I should), I find horror movies to be what he knows best. I mean, would he have spent his last two decades alive doing more horror movies than anything else? He loved horror, he was good at it, and I like to think he was one of the greats....not THE great, but great none the less.

From the reviews I have read from various people, The Beyond WAS Fulci's best film. The stars were in alignment when he made that film. Not only do the reviewer state this, but so do I.

If horror wasn't Fulci's stong point, wouldn't anyone have heard about this? I mean the guy isnt going to be known for his mob pictures or light hearted comedies....he is going to be known for the graphic gore and imagery in his HORROR movies.

That's how he earned the title of The Godfather of Gore.

Originally posted by ChuckyDarko
Oh dear god no... a stupid lumbering sandwiche-face zombie living in a basement (that belongs to the most badly-dubbed little boy in the history of the world) and a stupid Donald Duck rapist... I expected better from you...

LMAO...those are the films I don't like to admit likeing. But I guess the cat's outa the bag now. I dunno, I watch them for shits and giggles, and thats what a lot of them get when they are viewed. HA!

Maxvayne
12-17-2004, 10:17 PM
I have to disagree...although I have never seen any of his comedies or mob movies (maybe I should), I find horror movies to be what he knows best. I mean, would he have spent his last two decades alive doing more horror movies than anything else? He loved horror, he was good at it, and I like to think he was one of the greats....not THE great, but great none the less.

From the reviews I have read from various people, The Beyond WAS Fulci's best film. The stars were in alignment when he made that film. Not only do the reviewer state this, but so do I.

If horror wasn't Fulci's stong point, wouldn't anyone have heard about this? I mean the guy isnt going to be known for his mob pictures or light hearted comedies....he is going to be known for the graphic gore and imagery in his HORROR movies.

I never said that Beyond was a bad film, hell I never seen it and ALOT of people I know like it....but that doesn't make the man a god. Like you said. He is titled the godfather of gore (personally I disagree and say that Savini is) And not that much else. How much good would his movies be without the gore though?

Sure the man has done a lot for the genre, but It wouldn't make him a horror master.

Fulci was stuck with horror films he never wanted to do in the last decade of his life. After the Italian cinema fall in the early 90's (I'd also like to add that it was the fall of Horror films in general) that caused the studio's to have him jar out crappy horror. Fulci's book goes further in this: http://www.horrorchannel.com/dread/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=156

Chomp_on_this
12-17-2004, 10:37 PM
First off, I never said you thought Beyond was a bad film. I said it was known to be Fulci's best. And not only did it have gore, it had the great story, creepy setting, enthralled characters, and deafening music. The gore was just an added feature.

Yes, I have read several reviews on the book, and plan on buying it one of these days. But that link brought up the same argument I made.

" But what we all know and love him for is the horror.

Films like The Beyond, City of the Living Dead and Zombie are what come to mind when the name Fulci is mentioned, and I'm sure he'd have it no other way."

Secondly, Fulci is only known as the Godfather of Gore because he is from Italy. That's where the "Godfather" comes in. It has no significance of him inventing it or being the master at gore. Its just a hint he is from Italy.

Finally, I see where your coming from on not calling him a "Master" at horror, for that's not what he set out to make. In an interview he said he set out to show" fantasy".

Heres an exerpt from a interview with Fulci.

Interviewer: "Having fun?" What do you answer to those who blame you for all the horror in your films?

Lucio: "Horror is not a goal in itself to me. I am basically interested in the fantastic. As a matter of fact, there are few horror scenes in City of the Living Dead; tension is the important thing in this film. I have given up on horror for horror's sake, instead I wanted to make a nightmare film where horror is ubiquitous, even in apparently innocuous forms. Horror only appears in two scenes in a spectacular way, let alone the fact that the drill scene is a warning I wanted to give against a certain type of fascism, the girl's father killing the young guy in such an abject way just because the young guy is different, a frightened victim who, like the so-called witch in Long Night of Exorcism, does not understand all this hostility towards him. I wanted to show this boy as a dropout whom girls protect because of his kindness, but unfortunately, I was not able to develop the conservatism of some Dunwich inhabitants. City, to me, is a visual rendering of the metaphysical side of bad dreams.

I shot the film in Savannah, Georgia, but I changed the town into a nightmare city, so unreal that the audience can't put a name to it. I tried to achieve the same thing with New Orleans in The Beyond. "

Fulci thoroughly enjoyed doing horror movies. And the only horror film HE had a problem with was Zombi 3. From the same interview he speaks of his love for all of his films and the distaste he has for Zombi 3.

"You see, I don't repudiate any of my movies except ZOMBI 3. But that movie's not mine. It's the most foolish of my productions. It has been done by a group of idiots, which are Claudio Fragasso - natural born cretin, Bruno Mattei - who before becoming a "director" was a house painter, and a guy named Mimmo Scavia - the director of productions, who arrived in the Phillippines and his first thought was to just fuck some Oriental girls. I refused to end ZOMBI 3. I took the plane and came back to Rome. On the screen you can only see fifty minutes directed by me, and that's because Fragasso continuously changed my screenplay. "We can't do this, we can't do that..." I'm only proud of the scene of the biting skull."

With that said, I do call him ONE of the greats.

Maxvayne
12-18-2004, 07:43 AM
First off, I never said you thought Beyond was a bad film. I said it was known to be Fulci's best. And not only did it have gore, it had the great story, creepy setting, enthralled characters, and deafening music. The gore was just an added feature.

Yes, I have read several reviews on the book, and plan on buying it one of these days. But that link brought up the same argument I made.

" But what we all know and love him for is the horror.

Films like The Beyond, City of the Living Dead and Zombie are what come to mind when the name Fulci is mentioned, and I'm sure he'd have it no other way."

Secondly, Fulci is only known as the Godfather of Gore because he is from Italy. That's where the "Godfather" comes in. It has no significance of him inventing it or being the master at gore. Its just a hint he is from Italy.

Finally, I see where your coming from on not calling him a "Master" at horror, for that's not what he set out to make. In an interview he said he set out to show" fantasy".

Heres an exerpt from a interview with Fulci.

Interviewer: "Having fun?" What do you answer to those who blame you for all the horror in your films?

Lucio: "Horror is not a goal in itself to me. I am basically interested in the fantastic. As a matter of fact, there are few horror scenes in City of the Living Dead; tension is the important thing in this film. I have given up on horror for horror's sake, instead I wanted to make a nightmare film where horror is ubiquitous, even in apparently innocuous forms. Horror only appears in two scenes in a spectacular way, let alone the fact that the drill scene is a warning I wanted to give against a certain type of fascism, the girl's father killing the young guy in such an abject way just because the young guy is different, a frightened victim who, like the so-called witch in Long Night of Exorcism, does not understand all this hostility towards him. I wanted to show this boy as a dropout whom girls protect because of his kindness, but unfortunately, I was not able to develop the conservatism of some Dunwich inhabitants. City, to me, is a visual rendering of the metaphysical side of bad dreams.

I shot the film in Savannah, Georgia, but I changed the town into a nightmare city, so unreal that the audience can't put a name to it. I tried to achieve the same thing with New Orleans in The Beyond. "

Fulci thoroughly enjoyed doing horror movies. And the only horror film HE had a problem with was Zombi 3. From the same interview he speaks of his love for all of his films and the distaste he has for Zombi 3.

"You see, I don't repudiate any of my movies except ZOMBI 3. But that movie's not mine. It's the most foolish of my productions. It has been done by a group of idiots, which are Claudio Fragasso - natural born cretin, Bruno Mattei - who before becoming a "director" was a house painter, and a guy named Mimmo Scavia - the director of productions, who arrived in the Phillippines and his first thought was to just fuck some Oriental girls. I refused to end ZOMBI 3. I took the plane and came back to Rome. On the screen you can only see fifty minutes directed by me, and that's because Fragasso continuously changed my screenplay. "We can't do this, we can't do that..." I'm only proud of the scene of the biting skull."

With that said, I do call him ONE of the greats.

That Interview looks like it was taken from awhile ago, PRE- 90's Chomp.

I'm not out to tell the man he's not a horror master. The man has the right mind though. He IS one of the greats, even though my mission here is to tell people he is not the master they make him out to be.

Chomp_on_this
12-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Actually the interview took place in 1994 during Cattolica's Mystfest. The interview was then published in Draculina Issue #24, which was released in 1995. At the end of the interview he talks about the last film he was to make before he died...Wax Mask.

Creepingmouth
12-18-2004, 12:04 PM

I can tell you one thing for sure in Italy Fulci is known almost exclusively for his horror movies,so I agree with you.
I want something to be clear,I'm not a HUGE Fulci fan but I can appreciate a good horror movie when I see one.He mademore bad movies than good ones,that is true but the good ones are relly memorable.

Maxvayne
12-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Actually the interview took place in 1994 during Cattolica's Mystfest. The interview was then published in Draculina Issue #24, which was released in 1995. At the end of the interview he talks about the last film he was to make before he died...Wax Mask.

I'm glad he's happy with what he has done, regardless if he didn't want to do them.

And Creeping, he dose have a lot of memroble scenes, like the eye gouge in zombie, but I'm sure I have got my point across here.