PDA

View Full Version : Brad Dourif as Sheriff Brackett

njdevs03champs
12-18-2007, 11:32 PM
I'm shocked that this wasnt brought up but how did everyone feel about Brad being Sheriff Brackett compared to Charles Cyphers.

1978 COLLECTOR
12-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I thought he was good, but just good. Not the same caliber as Wormtongue in LOTR or my personaly favorite role of his, The Gemini Killer's soul in THE EXORCIST 3. But of course, you guys are thinking CHUCKY! His preformance is good, but nothing like the original. But atleast we got a rugged Sherif Bracket...

qwerty90221
12-19-2007, 09:07 AM
He was good, but Charles Cypher's performance is better. Especially when Brackett (Cyphers) discovers Annie is dead. Way more emotion than Brad Dourif.

njdevs03champs
12-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I thought he was good, but just good. Not the same caliber as Wormtongue in LOTR or my personaly favorite role of his, The Gemini Killer's soul in THE EXORCIST 3. But of course, you guys are thinking CHUCKY! His preformance is good, but nothing like the original. But atleast we got a rugged Sherif Bracket...

I was waiting for him to laugh like Chucky! :roflmao:

1978 COLLECTOR
12-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Fanboy...

bangtango
12-19-2007, 09:36 AM
He was all right as Brackett, better than some of the other characters came across. Dourif ain't no Cypher's, though. Another quality of Cypher's was his warm nature and body language (just watch when JLC bumps into him outside). Dourif doesn't have that same quality and actually Beau Starr (Meeker) didn't either.

JCU
12-19-2007, 11:53 AM
The way this Sheriff Brackett came across was as a person who was almost borderline unable to handle his duties and the chaos which soon followed. The original Cypher's portrayal was that of a person intune to what was happening and someone who deserved to be in leadership role.

Patrick1679
12-19-2007, 11:59 AM
In all honesty I thought he SUCKED. Brackett was the most disappointing character for me followed by Loomis. Those 2 characters were just horrible.

Not sure what Rob was thinking here.

But I still did enjoy the movie and thought it was better than any of the sequals following H2.

mattc_85
12-19-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree with the post above about the scene with Annie. He just seemed like he didn't care all that much about her. Cyphers did a much better performance. To me this was just a publicity casting since he is known in the horror circle.

Khan
12-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Publicity casting....I like that term.

Halloween444
12-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Lol Brackett was better in the original but since I dont compare those 2 films Dourif was Ok IMO gotta love "If I break a Promess I did a long time ago you gotta promess me your gonna play it razor and I mean razor sharp with me" CLASSIC Quotes

bangtango
12-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I agree with the post above about the scene with Annie. He just seemed like he didn't care all that much about her. Cyphers did a much better performance. To me this was just a publicity casting since he is known in the horror circle.

That is a pretty good point you bring up. He cast just about everybody you would expect from the people in the horror circle. Dourif, Ken Foree, Sid Haig and his own wife. I'm surprised Bruce Campbell and Kane Hodder didn't find work in this but then again I guess Zombie might not be a fan of their work (not that I have any proof one way or the other).

Meanwhile, despite putting these people in the movie, Zombie went out of his way to avoid using people from the past Halloween movies, other than Danielle, and constantly said doing so would only make his remake seem cliched or too much like a tribute.

mattc_85
12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
I think it was cliched by using all these horror icons. It's one thing to have a couple here and there but to fill the movie with them, no. It would have been better with unknowns.

Worthystevens
12-20-2007, 11:34 AM
He was good, but Charles Cypher's performance is better. Especially when Brackett (Cyphers) discovers Annie is dead. Way more emotion than Brad Dourif.

That's because he already knew Annie was very hurt, hence Laurie's 911 call.

78's Brackett was more emotional because he didn't know Annie was killed until he saw the actual body.

mattc_85
12-20-2007, 11:37 AM

78's Brackett was more emotional because he didn't know Annie was killed until he saw the actual body.

But, really, even if he did have a bit of warning it doesn't become real until you actually see it. It would be a parents worst nightmare. It should have been more emotional but it wasn't it was just a flat scene, very unrealistic.

qwerty90221
12-20-2007, 11:44 AM
But, really, even if he did have a bit of warning it doesn't become real until you actually see it. It would be a parents worst nightmare. It should have been more emotional but it wasn't it was just a flat scene, very unrealistic.

Agreed.

mmyers78
12-20-2007, 01:26 PM
I thought he was ok, nothing great but ok.

ten31
12-22-2007, 04:32 PM
I like his comment on the dvd where he mentions that he has to bring it when they're shooting the Annie on the floor scene. In my opinion that was one of his worst performances even with him in The Hazing.

Todd
12-22-2007, 05:13 PM
I thought his reaction to finding Annie messed up like that wasn't as emotional as we would have expected, but it was realistic.
I'm sure anyone would be stunned and disbelieving to find their loved one in a state like that. Not all people are going to go into emotional overdrive. Some will become almost just the opposite of that because they can't afford to let their emotions overcome them at that point. Not to mention the "Is this really happening?", factor. Remember Bracketts reaction to seeing his daughters body in H2? He was solemn but calm until he turned his anger on Loomis.

Mr. Bruce
12-22-2007, 05:22 PM
He was good, but Charles Cypher's performance is better. Especially when Brackett (Cyphers) discovers Annie is dead. Way more emotion than Brad Dourif.So true... But Annie didn't die in the new one.

qwerty90221
12-22-2007, 05:24 PM
I know. But I'm just saying Brackett (Dourif) could have showed more emotion. He didn't have to copy Charles Cypher's emotions but to have it rank up to him.

Danny Strode
12-22-2007, 05:32 PM
I didn't mind him that much. The only problem I had - if you could call it a probelm - was that I saw more "Chucky" than I did Brackett. And also, I would've thought he would take his jacket off and cover up Annie when he discovered her. But alas, it was Danielle. ;)

renee30152
12-22-2007, 05:42 PM

Good point. He was okey. Kinda preverted in a way. :d He was funny in the bloopers though. :D

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Eh...apples and oranges. Cyphers didn't find out 'til H2. ;)

As for this specific issue, I've always been bothered by Cyphers's repeated insistence that Loomis facilitated Myers's escape. To wit, "YOU LET HIM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Nice to see that left out of Zombie's version, at least. But as many here know, this is only one of many reasons (most of them far more significant) why I think H2 is a poor attempt at a direct sequel.

And I thought Dourif's reactions were suitable to the scene, what with Annie still being alive. As an authority figure, it's probably best for him not to hurl traumatized victims into a state of sheer panic by completely losing his shit. Especially if said victim is his daughter. You should reassure people who are in that position...rather than reacting in a manner that may further scare the fuck out of them.

If I had to sum up my opinion of Dourif as Brackett, I would have to say that he was good, but sadly underutilized.

tama_drummer91
12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I thought his reaction to finding Annie messed up like that wasn't as emotional as we would have expected, but it was realistic.
I'm sure anyone would be stunned and disbelieving to find their loved one in a state like that. Not all people are going to go into emotional overdrive. Some will become almost just the opposite of that because they can't afford to let their emotions overcome them at that point. Not to mention the "Is this really happening?", factor. Remember Bracketts reaction to seeing his daughters body in H2? He was solemn but calm until he turned his anger on Loomis.

He has some good points. I never thought of it like that. Good post.

I found his performance to be a more likable Brackett, not necessarily better, but more likable. The first time I saw the film I thought he sucked. Upon numerous viewing, I liked his performance more.

mr_casper_sgv
12-27-2007, 09:58 AM
He played the character good but everytime he talked I kept thinking of Chucky.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-27-2007, 10:06 AM
I kept thinking of B-b-b-b-b-billy from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...which is a good thing. I wish they'd lift the typecast stigma off of Dourif's head. He's really a great actor.

Bearscubsfan87
12-27-2007, 11:58 AM

I agree. One would think finding your daughter in such a way would cause more of an emotional reaction.

mattc_85
12-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I didn't mind him that much. The only problem I had - if you could call it a probelm - was that I saw more "Chucky" than I did Brackett. And also, I would've thought he would take his jacket off and cover up Annie when he discovered her. But alas, it was Danielle. ;)

I never even thought of that. Seems to me that would be the first thing a parent would do. Cover their child up.

EvilOnTwoLegs
12-28-2007, 04:38 AM
I agree. One would think finding your daughter in such a way would cause more of an emotional reaction.
"One would think" isn't always an accurate gauge. I've seen people in similar real-life situations just completely shut down, emotionally. They don't always yell or scream or wave their arms around like actors chewing the scenery. So I wouldn't say it's unrealistic...it's just not in keeping with the usual Hollywood cliche of "This is how people ALWAYS react." Because there is no single way that all people react to any given situation.

I've actually seen people very upset because they've been told they didn't seem sad enough about their dead children...that they weren't mourning in the proper or correct way. What is the proper and correct way to grieve for one's children, anyway? The way movies tell you to do it?

Anyway, I think that in this case, people are basing their ideas of what's realistic or unrealistic on what they see in other movies, rather than on real life. Which is pretty funny.

tama_drummer91
12-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Some of these comments actually make me like him more.

MichaelFox
04-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Excellent! Another famous mass killing slasher from the 80s! The voice of Chucky! That was really an awesome cameo!.

Lord Thurisaz
04-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I dunno why, but I felt Brad was a good Sheriff Brackett. He kinda had the same way about him, without acting like Charles Cyphers. I'm sure I'm not doing a very good job describing it, but I liked Brad Dourif as Sheriff Brackett.

Diamond Wings
04-21-2009, 09:16 AM
I wasn't all that impressed, but simply because I was hoping for somebody more similar to Cyphers. However, I think the new Annie was much more of a spitfire than the '78 Annie. So, I guess, Dourif was a good replacement. I still prefer Cyphers, though!!

matthewsdad1974
07-17-2009, 06:31 AM
I liked Charles better.

Captain Mal
07-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Brad was shamelessly wasted in RZH and I hope he gets a much bigger role in H2. He's a quality actor and deserves more screen time...

Rich
07-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Brad was my favorite actor in this. Finally we get to actually SEE him instead of just hearing him do Chucky's voice. He is actually a very good actor. I'm glad that he is the new Bracket.

srf nz
07-18-2009, 10:09 AM
As bad as the Halloween remake may or may not have been, you can't criticize most of the acting choices. Casting Malcolm McDowell, Brad Dourif, and Danielle Harris really helped this film. Even the people I've talked to who absolutely despise the remake can't say anything bad about those casting choices, McDowell was perfect as Loomis, and I can't think of anyone else who could step in for the eternal Donald Pleasence.

Dourif was great as Brackett, but that's to be expected from an actor of his caliber. His mere presence adds credibility to the film.

big mike
07-19-2009, 05:01 AM
i thought he was ok..he seemed pretty underused and him and loomis didnt really have much chemistry workin together (no Homo :D)

Citan
07-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Meh, he was ok.

Michael Voorhees
08-27-2009, 08:46 AM
I loved Dourif's performance, it was pretty good, but luckily, he's coming back for H2 & will have more to do than before. That's something that has kept me hyped.

ten31
08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I hope he's better this time around. I thought he was horrible in the first flick.

Michael Voorhees
08-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Really? I thought he did good with what little he had to work with.

Danny Strode
08-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Which is why not many people can say he did good, because he didn't have shit to work with. The second half of the film was so rushed that it really didn't have time to establish the characters.

ten31
08-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I hope he's better this time around. I thought he was horrible in the first flick.

I can honestly say I thought he was the best part of H2, and his last scene with Annie was what I was looking for in his first performance after seeing Annie laying in a pool of blood.

Michael Voorhees
08-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I feel like there was more to his scenes at the end that were cut out, and I felt a little cheated with that one particular aspect.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I can honestly say I thought he was the best part of H2, and his last scene with Annie was what I was looking for in his first performance after seeing Annie laying in a pool of blood.

As I've always said, with Annie being in shock, his number one concern was to remain as calm as he could until an ambulance arrived, and try to keep her from becoming panicked all over again. It was an appropriately restrained reaction, and I respected it. In terms of acting, quiet anguish is a lot harder to play than typical screaming dramatics, and I thought Dourif (who has two daughters of his own) played that scene very well. I believed him in that moment.

In H2...well, it's obviously a different kind of scene, and he played that reaction equally well, I thought. He had a lot more to do in H2, though, which I was glad to see. Dourif's always been a great actor...underrated as hell...and he was sorely underutilized in RZH.

ten31
08-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Dourif's always been a great actor...underrated as hell...and he was sorely underutilized in RZH.

I agree with you here. He was greatly underused in Halloween. He brought his A game for the sequel.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-29-2009, 12:04 AM
I think Dourif always does a great job. Even when he shows up in bad movies, his performances are always worth watching. One thing I was definitely hoping for in H2 was more screentime for Dourif and more range for his character. So needless to say, I was happy with that aspect of the film.

Michael Voorhees
08-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Dourif was awesome...he made me laugh during the appropriate times, and he really made me care for his character. I'd love for him to return in future movies.

Danny Strode
08-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Dourif's always been a great actor...underrated as hell...and he was sorely underutilized in RZH.

Underrated is an understatement.

Michael Voorhees
08-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Yes, it is. I don't see a lot of talk for Mr. Dourif. He is one of the main reasons I'm against a reboot. I'd love to see more of him in this franchise. It'd be a waste to shove his character to the side.

EvilOnTwoLegs
08-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Underrated is an understatement.

Damn right. I still insist that he was absolutely ROBBED BLIND by the Academy in '76. I like George Burns as much as the next guy, but Dourif's performance in Cuckoo's Nest was heartbreakingly brilliant. The nomination wasn't sufficient...he should've gone home with the Oscar.

missvirginia91
08-30-2009, 05:56 AM
I liked him. He seemed like a really caring, compassionate person and I just liked his whole character, especially in RZH2. You get to see him in his home, interact with his daughter and Laurie. I felt so bad for him when he walks in to find Annie dead, because it's obvious how much he loves her and cares about her. I liked both of them, though. They both were good actors.

Danny Strode
08-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Damn right. I still insist that he was absolutely ROBBED BLIND by the Academy in '76. I like George Burns as much as the next guy, but Dourif's performance in Cuckoo's Nest was heartbreakingly brilliant. The nomination wasn't sufficient...he should've gone home with the Oscar.

Abso-fucking-lutely on this. I also enjoy Exorcist III simply because of him, despite George C. Scott being in it, and despite the fact that the movie was off the wall for a lot of it. I tend to just toss the Chucky films aside, but those are still brilliant with just his voice.

Michael Voorhees
08-31-2009, 01:41 AM
Before I really started learning who Dourif was, I was shocked to find out he was the one voicing Chucky. That man's got an infinite amount of talent.

Nibbz
08-31-2009, 07:27 AM
He's become my favorite Halloween character after RZH2

Michael Voorhees
09-18-2009, 06:42 AM
After RZH2, he's on my top favorites list, he came off as a really likeable character, more so than in RZH. I want to see more him in this franchise.

Wicker Man
12-23-2009, 07:15 PM
He's become my favorite Halloween character after RZH2

When I first heard of his casting in RZH, as much as I've always liked him, he was not who I had in mind for the character of Brackett (I pictured more of a Josh Brolin type myself). Unlike the original film where Brackett obviously played a bigger role, Dourif didn't have near the screen time and as a result, I didn't get much of a sense of his character in it to sway my opinion of his casting.

However, he was clearly the best thing in RZH2 for me and had me sold right out of the gates. If Zombie had returned for a third one (which I knew wasn't likely) or if they continued on where RZH2 left off, I would've loved to have seen Dourif's Brackett take on an almost Ahab-like, adversarial role to Mane's Myers.

CJ7
01-30-2010, 10:25 AM
I personally believe that Brad was more emotional when it came to Annies death.I like both Brads and Charles' portrayl of sheriff Brackett but I kind of prefer Brads Brackett.

ASH PLISKIN
02-20-2010, 11:17 AM
The way this Sheriff Brackett came across was as a person who was almost borderline unable to handle his duties and the chaos which soon followed. The original Cypher's portrayal was that of a person intune to what was happening and someone who deserved to be in leadership role.

Thats what I thought. Brad played sheriff Brackett as if he was the psycho in this one.
He does make up for it in the next one though.

80sJEM
12-29-2012, 08:01 AM
He was all right...I liked him talking about leaving Laurie out of his report and taking her out of town, but that was really about it. He should've gotten more interaction with Laurie and definitely shown more interest in keeping her SAFE since he knew all ABOUT what had happened, but since he didn't and I'm going by what we DID get he was so-so. Here and there...but I prefer both Brackett and Meeker.

I love me some Chucky, of course, but I like the irony in Brad playing a town sheriff (and Brackett of HADDONFIELD, no less) after literally fifteen years as Charles Lee Ray, the notorious Lake Shore STRANGLER.